[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Glacier National Park

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

File: Glacier National Park.jpg (168KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Glacier National Park.jpg
168KB, 1024x768px
Has anybody here been to GNP before? I'm planning a trip there this summer and have some questions.

First, I'm planning a multi-day backpacking trip. There aren't many good loops, so how easy would it be to hitch-hike back to my starting point? Are there enough drivers around that I could plan to end a trip 20 miles down the road from where I started and rely on hitch-hiking to get back? It looks like one road has a shuttle, but other than that idk.

Also, what stuff is there to see except backpacking? When I went to Yellowstone I ended up doing only one night of backpacking because there was so much stuff to see driving around and doing day hikes. Is GNP going to be a place that I'll want to do a lot of driving around for side-trips?

Finally, is there any other cool stuff I should check out in Montana or around that area? Never been before, wondering if I should spend a whole week in Glacier or do a day or two elsewhere in Montana (I'll be driving to/from Colorado)
>>
File: glacier.jpg (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
glacier.jpg
2MB, 1920x1080px
Go do the Dawson/Pitamakan loop you nunce.

Pic related.
>>
>>984997
>Are there enough drivers around
Literally millions
>Anything else to do
Pick out a trail book and look at some. There are assloads of trails in Montana. I'm from Montana, you may as well check out Yellowstone/Grand Tetons in Wyoming if youre coming up from CO.
>>
>>984997
One more thing.

GNP is fucking packed in the summer like Yellowstone. Go hike to Grinnel Glacier, it probably won't be there in a few years anymore what with the global warming.

Pintler loop is a neat drive. Avoid Bozeman there's nothing but transplants, hipsters, and people who are Montanans by sake of geography alone.

Butte is a cool town if you want local booze. Ennis is awesome as well, check out the distillery and fly-fishing.
>>
>>984997
Go to west Glacier, most people don't even make it off Going to the Sun Road. I hiked to Hole in the Wall and camped at upper Bowman. Views from Hole in the Wall are unlike anything else, it is a strenuous hike I will say. My gf and I got stuck in a fucking crazy thunder/hail storm while exposed on alpine, so definitely be conscious of the weather. Upper Bowman lake is so goddamn cozy, and they have a fire pit so you can kick back on the lakeshore under the pines and just enjoy the mountains and night sky with a toasty fire. Gets my dick a lil wet desu
>>
>>984997
I have had lots of success hitching as a backpacker over the years, especially in national parks, including GNP
It's pretty obvious who you are and what you are doing, and normies will often help just to talk to you about your adventures
>>
>>985075

>global warming

You missed the memo faglord, we global cooling nao
>>
>>984997
When are you going?
I grew up in Kalispell, and subsequently the park. West glacier is wonderful, but my favorite is many glacier. You really can't go wrong wherever you go. I'll look at a map and see if I come up with some great ideas.
Flathead lake, south of the park is cool but very clean and nice for swimming. Late July is huckleberry season. The flathead valley has many breweries, and some fun towns like whitefish and bigfork.
>>
>>985075
You sound like a butthurt Missoulian.
I don't think the glaciers will be hurting for snow this year; Bozeman is the only place that isn't as cool as it used to be.
I can't recommend butte but Ennis, Virginia City (mining town), and Philipsburg are all cool. Missoula and Whitefish too.
>>
If you want a true Montana wilderness experience head south to the Great Bear/Bob Marshall. The views aren't quite as spectacular as Glacier, but you'll have 1.5 million acres essentially to yourself.
>>
>>985226
I plan on going mid/late-August, depending on permit availability. I've heard Many Glacier is good, and is supposed to be one of the best places to see grizzlies too.

>>985072
>>985099
Can you reliably hitchhike on the highways to the East of the park? Like taking highway 17 to 89, then south to St. Mary? I'm just nervous about being stranded on the side of the highway while cars blow past me on the highway in the middle of nowhere...

>>985355
thanks, I might split my time and do a couple days there as well then.
>>
>>985546
OP I grew up in GNP. Favorite place is bowman lake. i'd seriously recommend renting a lake kayak in Kalispell, driving to polbridge, staying the night, then driving the remaining little bit to the bowman campground. Stay there for a few days, its super secluded and quiet but has a ranger on-site. there are quite a few day hikes and of course kayaking on the lake is a sublime experience. it's like stepping back 500 years to a landscape that has never seen man. birdsong echos over the water and the wind in the pines...my god. the rest of the park can get overrun with tourists, and the south of the park/bob marshall wilderness gets super buggy.
>>
>>985826
Thanks, I never even thought of kayaking that sounds awesome
>>
>>985226
Look up the ptarmigan tunnel day hike. It's got some fantastic views and august is a good time for it. Bring spray because it's almost guaranteed you'll see a bear, but the ranger will let you know what the situation is that day.
>>
>>986170
Kintla Lake is similar but even better IMO. The water is so clear you get the sensation of flying if you look down while kayaking
>>
Question: do you guys think going to the sun road will open by late June?
>>
Different question: What should the park be renamed once all the glaciers have melted?
>>
>>988525
According to the experts, that was going to happen 20 years ago. Isn't it time to grow up?
>>
>>988250
Probably. I think the latest opening date in recent memory was like July 3.
>select all snowplows
Pottery
>>
>>988709
Source on your nonsense?
>>
>>989045
Nice shop
>>
>>989049
Yeah ok but source on your nonsense?
>>
For dayhikes check out Mt. Brown, it's an easy nontechnical peak with a fire lookout and has great views. Grinnell Glacier is a great dayhike too, both are crowded in the summer though.
>>
>>989054
The source was a park exhibit from when I visited back in the late 1980s. Cmon you really don't know how these scammers operate?
>>
You can do your own research if you aren't a true believer, but they just keep updating their retarded predictions hoping no one notices and now they just did it again. As long as you believe their lies you are nothing but a puppet

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2016/05/04/usgs-appears-to-be-removing-its-websites-claiming-all-glaciers-will-be-melted-from-glacier-national-park-by-2030/
>>
Hahaha gone by 2020

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2009/03/090302-glaciers-melting.html
>>
Oh wait now it's not until 2045. Do you feel retarded yet?

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/23/us/climate-change-threatens-to-strip-the-identity-of-glacier-national-park.html?_r=0
>>
This has links to the gone by 2000 bullshit. Your teachers were liars and thus you are nothing but a useful idiot puppet boy

https://stevengoddard.wordpress.com/2015/10/19/spectacular-lies-about-glacier-national-park/
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.