[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Homegrowmen Thread #83

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 314
Thread images: 71

File: 83.jpg (2MB, 3197x5000px) Image search: [Google]
83.jpg
2MB, 3197x5000px
Old thread: >>974435

Search terms:

Companion Planting - Raised Beds - Hugelkultur - Vertical Gardening - Square Foot Gardening - Polyculture - Composting - Windrow Composting - Mulching - Vermiculture - Espalier - Fungiculture - Aquaponics - Greenhouses - Cold Frames - Hot Boxes - Polytunnels - Forest Gardening - Aquaculture - Mittlieder Method - Keyhole Garden - Window Frame Garden - Straw Bale Gardening - Soil-bag Gardening - Lasagna Gardening - No-till Method - Container Gardening - Ollas Irrigation - Kratky Method

Chickens - Goats - Pigs - Sheep - Cattle - Ducks - Turkey - Honey Bees - Geese - Llama - Alpaca - Fish - Crayfish

Resources:

http://pastebin.com/RDDAm3Jz

Secondary Edible Parts of Vegetables:
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/newsletters/hortupdate/hortupdate_archives/2005/may05/SecVeget.html
>>
>>979331
How me a man grow big spud?
>>
>>979340
U wot m8?
>>
File: DSC00899.jpg (98KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00899.jpg
98KB, 640x480px
>>979335

Yeah, keyhole garden beds are really neat. I'd like to make one out of stone. I have the stone too. Just need more soil that good.

>you mean beans right?

Correct. If the soil is good those other plants will all get pretty massive.

>>979337

If it was only the cold, you won't need to repot it unless it is rootbound. If it has been in the pots for a year or more, I'd repot them. If entire branches are dead, remove them.

>>979338

You'd be surprised at how easily water will go through the soil. It will need a lot of water too.

>>979340
Sandy soil, moderate nutrients, plant very deep early in the season in full sun, hill up the soil very high over them, cover until threat of frost is over, and monitor moisture levels.
>>
>>979344
> mfw that picture is giving me a hard on
I'm remembering the word "keyhole garden" to Pintrest the shit out of it.

Didn't now beans were all viney, but I'll make sure to build a nice structure for them to climb on. Thanks for the advice man! I'm going to take a picture of the drainage soon so you'll get a good idea of what I mean.
>>
>>979350
pole beans grow on a vine, bush beans on a bushy plant
>>
>>979350
>>979351
Can't snap a picture of the bottom because my camera makes shit pictures in the dark. I'll take one tomorrow.

I did take a picture of the rhodondendron and when I clip away the dead leaves it looks promising.
>>
Is it okay for my bell pepper and my avocado tree to share a pot?
>>
>>979403
It really depends on the pot size. It would need to be very large and on rollers/casters if you wanted to move it around. Otherwise, both plants in a 5 gallon bucket would still get root bound just by themselves, let alone with a second plant.
>>
>>979403
>advocado tree
Pictures please senpai.
>>
So these are the five veggies I have ready to transplant to the raised bed. Obviously the beans and zuchini are ready to transplant.

Anyway, should I just consider the lettuce and kauliflower compost? I feel like planting them is a waste of space, they look awful.

I realise I am just leeching of your knowledge for the last couple of months and I apologise. I am new to this and it's a bit of a hassle. Any feedback will be greatly appreaciated.
>>
>>979427
>should I just consider the lettuce and kauliflower compost?

The soil they are in is too wet and holds water too much (green on top of soil), it needs some sand in it for better drainage. They will perk up once they are transplanted into their final place.
>>
>>979490
Ah that's great news. Would watering them less get me the same effect? Since I was planning on planting them all in the same bed,.
>>
>>979518

Not >>979490 but they're right. Soil is way too wet and dense

Most seed starting mixes are mostly peat moss, pearlite and little compost. Maybe even a little sand.

Watering less will be a good start, but if you start any more seeds, invest in some good seed starting mix or make your own. I usually just eyeball some compost, bulk peat moss and a handful or two of pearlite. It should still be pretty 'fluffy' when damp. It'll be so crumbly, you almost won't be able to pull a compacted cube out of the starter tray, like your zucchini and beans. You should have to water every couple days unless it's covered with plastic.

If you're planting them soon (like within a week or two), you're probably fine. Otherwise you might start some new seeds in parallel. Don't throw them in the compost just yet. The worst that will happen is they take up some space, eventually die and then you have to use your backup seedlings. The best case is they gain enough root strength to work through the soil and do fine. Then you'll have double the amount of seedlings and get to pick the strongest looking ones.

Zuchinni and beans look great though! Very healthy roots.
>>
>>979427
>>979490
>>979542
This. The worst that will happen would be they never thrive and you get a meager harvest and a good-sized lesson from it.

This year, my broccoli looked stringy and frail until about January and they all suddenly bulked up and flowered. I had figured I'd never get a good harvest, but now I have a pound of broccoli florets in my fridge.

Lettuce always looks a bit flimsy.
>>
>>979518
Make sure the soil in the bed drains will enough and doesn't become soggy. If it does, add sand to it. No more than 1 part sand to 4-5 parts soil.

Also, cabbage moths are evil and they love cauliflower. The best organic method for them is to build a screen cage around them so large their leaves never touch the screen.
>>
File: flower.jpg (2MB, 2440x1632px) Image search: [Google]
flower.jpg
2MB, 2440x1632px
Anyone know what this is going to turn into? I've got two spots in the flower bed with them--they're not something I planted, but I just moved in at the start of the year.
>>
>>979331
Is it fine to dump used potting soil elsewhere? I grew some radishes in a pot that I'm about to dig up, was thinking of pouring the soil in the flower beds.

Sorry if it's a silly question. I just want to make sure I won't be killing anything.
>>
>>979586
That's fine. It's only outdoor soil that you aren't supposed to bring in, because of bugs.
>>
I just burned like 8 beds and have a crapload of coal.. can I compost that shit?
>>
>>979591
Like actual beds? Only organic stuff should be going in compost. Wood ash is ok, I think too much is bad.
>>
Anyone ever planted fruit seed?
>>
>>979578
It is an ornamental. I can't remember the name. I have some in a pot about 1 foot tall that was a "mystery seed" from the company someone bought bulbs from. I've been trying to remember the name for like 4 months. lol I think it starts with a "C".

>>979598
What type?
>>
>>979602
>>979578
I think I remembered! "Canna"
>>
>>979602

Any really.
>>
File: DSCN8637a.jpg (763KB, 1024x2136px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN8637a.jpg
763KB, 1024x2136px
>>979608
I've grown apple trees, peach trees, and lemon trees from seed saved from the store. Only the apple tree did poorly but only because it was planted in an area that has extremely poor clay soil. It is like 15 years old and only 6 feet high with no branches last I checked. I should probably put some chicken manure around it. It is the stick in the bottom image (yeah it is 15 years old)

The rest did well and fruited fine. The peach trees are blooming right now actually... This one is the largest and is right next to the chicken coop. It started blooming after only 3 years. I've been attempting to espalier it some moderate luck, though it isn't a dwarf tree.
>>
>>979605
>>979602
Thanks, anon! That looks correct, and it looks like something pretty.
>>
Can I have a herd of donkeys, sheep, a llama and goats?
Is this better asked at /an/?
>>
>>979638
Have you tried just getting a gf?
>>
File: 20170328_173214.jpg (4MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20170328_173214.jpg
4MB, 3264x2448px
>>979655

Kek
Has anyone tried growing root veggies in an aquaponic system?

Here's the pic for the Kansan guy. Phase 2 is in production as we speak.
>>
>>979662

haha, nice lettuce trees.

How many and how big are those goldfish? I dont know how much to stock a 100 gallon tank
>>
>>979682

Thanks. Those have gotten bitter and nasty, I'm letting them seed. Just using it to start seeds right now.

1 inch of fish per gallon is the rule of thumb, but I've been able to manage a slightly higher ratio because of the high rate of water being cycled, and the basic nature of aquaponics.
>>
>>979682

I actually have channel cats now, too. I just used goldfish to condition the water.
>>
>>979692

The LFS has some neat channel cats and beautiful fancy goldfish.

I'd ask how you overwinter them, but you're in FL iirc. Kansas it gets below freezing for a good chunk of the winter, and 100 gallons above ground won't stay liquid all winter, even with a good heater.
>>
>>979695

You can buy a heater. Since it's such a small body of water, it does get close to freezing here. On cold days, I just boil some water, pour it in a jug, and let the heat radiate out. Of course, cold for me is above 40 F.
>>
>>979698

We had a week of -5*F here.

Prolly still gonna go with goldfish unless you talk me out of it. I could probably cram 6 medium sized goldfish into a 20G long over winter if I needed to, but I couldn't do the same with channel cats.

Love to see pics of the fish tho
>>
>>979699

Tomorrow. It's dark again. I keep forgetting to post before it's way too dark.
>>
File: coach.jpg (1MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
coach.jpg
1MB, 2448x3264px
>>979705

>Sunshine state
>always night time

No worries, hope I can share pics of my setup soon.
>>
>>979714

God, what a terrible hell that would be.
>>
>>979662
Black seeded simpson lettuce?
>>
second set of transplants are wilting. moved them into heavier shade. anything else i can do for them?
>>
>>979699
Western Kansas? Things weren't quite that bad in Lawrence and Johnson County, but it did get a little cold
>>
>>979769
If the roots are fine and the moisture content is right, there's not much else to do.
>>
Guys, I'm getting a hose gun: should I get a shower one like pic related, or a multi function one with different spray patterns?
I suspect that multi function ones are meme-tier, but I want to know what you fellas think.
>>
>>979807
>>979807

Got down to -15*F in Lawrence in Dec:

https://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KLWC/2016/12/28/MonthlyHistory.htm?lreqdb.zip=66044
>>
Hey guys was wondering if any of you could help a noob out.

I've never grown a plant in my life but I plan on going off grid within the next 5 or 6 years and I really want to learn how to grow my own food (weed and magic mushrooms as well but most importantly food). I am a veteran so i do have access to the GI Bill for schooling but I'm retarded and have no idea how college works. Is there a way to become super knowledgeable about this topic without any schooling? If so, how do I go about that? If I do need to go to a school (must be in Utah or online) where the fuck should I go?
>>
>>979818
Read Mother Earth News:

http://www.motherearthnews.com/
>>
>>979812
I use the multi-function ones a lot since there's various things I need to do with it. The biggest thing it to get quick release connectors. They are a life saver.
>>
File: squirrel.webm (3MB, 1440x720px) Image search: [Google]
squirrel.webm
3MB, 1440x720px
>>979614

Doesn't really matter too much for peaches. Most full sizes only get around 10-16 feet tall anyways,where as a dwarfing one might get 8-10.

It's not like apple trees where it's the difference between an 8 foot tree or a 35 foot tree.

>>979695

You might want to look into the kind of stuff used for solar water heating or solar pool heating. You can get the equivalent of several KW of electric heat for pretty cheap(electrically speaking,the equipment and install still costs money).

A simpler and easier way would be insulating the tanks pretty well and allowing light in to hit something darkly colored so it absorbs heat during the way.

Plenty of people use things like 55 gallon drums painted blank filled with sand or water to help keep greenhouses warm during winter. Just have to store that thermal energy somehow,and water is actually a very good way to do that.
>>
>>979856
squirrel.webm
holy shit it blew up like a water balloon. sad, but lmao
>>
>>979863
Joke's on you, WebM has a line at the bottom that shows position in the video, so you can't pull the same shit as with repeating .gifs.
>>
>>979411
Tomorrow when I get my camera :)

>>979406
Ty, brother. Can an avocado handle repotting as it grows?
>>
Anybody here use mycorrhizal fungi in seedlings/germination trays? Working on a student farm atm and we're pretty broke, so it'd be a significant investment, though I've heard it can do phenomenal things for your yield. Any truth behind it?
I was figuring we'd buy a little, do a trial run and see if it stood up to the hype.
>>
>>980002
When I need to mix up a lot of soil I use a cube of Pro Mix(that has the mycorrhizal in it), some vermiculite and/or peet moss and nutrients. I use bat guano but there are cheaper options like blood meal. That gets you way more soil for the money than any premade stuff.
>>
File: IMG_20170329_144002.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170329_144002.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Well, I added some more soil and transplanted everything. I am sure the lettuce won
>>
File: 684143035541_07671692.jpg (31KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
684143035541_07671692.jpg
31KB, 900x900px
I have a few of these on my balcony (apartment, so no yard unfortunately) and I'm growing herbs in two of them. For the third I was thinking about growing something that would climb the railings a bit and make it a comfy space. Any suggestions? Balcony is south facing. I was looking at wisteria but I'm not sure how well that would do in a limited size pot (about 36"x6").
>>
File: 27574.jpg (59KB, 400x467px) Image search: [Google]
27574.jpg
59KB, 400x467px
>>980026
*I am sure the lettuce won't surive. Anyway, then the zuchini will have a bit more space.

-

Does anybody here have experience with growing palms from seeds? I am planning on buying a couple of seeds of Trachycarpus Fortunei. They are supposed to do fine in my cold climate and if I can manage to grow about 10 I can sell them in 10 years and have a couple of grand to spend.

>>980050
Sounds like you're looking for strawberries.
>>
File: IMG_20170329_172519~01.jpg (75KB, 1000x804px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170329_172519~01.jpg
75KB, 1000x804px
Seeds have arrived! I wonder what I can make of em.
>>
>>980057
Will strawberries climb up a lattice? Or grow nicely if you prop up the plant on one? A few google searches have taught me there is something known as a "climbing strawberry" but is this a real thing? A video of how to grow them was an infomercial so I'm not sure if I should look for specific kinds or just a regular strawberry plant.
>>
File: IMG_20170329_152521~01.jpg (3MB, 2505x2888px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170329_152521~01.jpg
3MB, 2505x2888px
Just flushed these shiitake logs for the first time, will post updates if it is successful
>>
>>979906
>Can an avocado handle repotting as it grows?

It will need to or it will die of being root bound. you can repot anything if you are careful.

>>980002
I use outdoor soil from my garden that is rife with mycorrhizal fungi. Sometimes they even flush in the seedling trays, though that is pretty rare. You can learn how to make slurries and cultures from cheaply purchased, edible, mycorrhizal fungi. You wouldn't need to buy a ton all at once. you can also harvest wild fairy ring species, some are edible and some not. Marasmius oreades is a good mycorrhizal fairy ring mushroom that is a choice edible. Infundibulicybe geotropa (aka Clitocybe geotropa) is also one that is edible.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairy_ring#Species_involved

If you peruse this list, find out what grows in your area, then you'll be able to harvest them and use those. Hopefully, you'll have the edible ones. Make sure to do your taxonomy correctly and even call in a local mycologist for help and good conversations.

>>980026
Remember to cover those from strong sunlight if they are not already harden off to it. The lettuce look a bit yellow.

>>980050
Morning glory
Passion flower
Clematis
Trumpet vine
Bower vine
Hardy Kiwi

Each comes in an array of colors except trumpet vine(red flowers) and hardy kiwi(white flowers). Wisteria would need a much larger pot. Probably a 5-gallon size pot. They can get pretty big and pretty old. Same goes for trumpet vine (which is invasive so keep it in a pot.)

>>980080
I think they only grow down and not well, they just fall over and down like a spider plant.

>>980082
Nice, north wall out of the sun?

>>980078
>still waiting on my Gypsy pepper seeds

I hope 60-65dtm is enough time...
>>
>>980078
Please go away fatalii.net salesman.

>>980080
They won't climb but if you route them they can fill up a lattice nicely. They are very viney and bush-like. You can also look into french beans.
>>
>>980083
>>980084
Thanks guys. I'll look into a few of these. I really like the idea of strawberries though.
>>
>>980089
Strawberries are awesome mate. Two or three plants can easily yield you 3 pounds of biological, homemade, fresh, berries
>>
I'm planting my lemon seeds, should I mix seedling soil with sand?
>>
What do I do with germinated seeds I have no room for? I feel bad for em.
>>
>>980101
put them in pots
>>
>>980092
Do a clump test. Grab a handful that is moist by not wet. Squeeze it tight. Place the ball of squeeze soil on a flat surface.

Does it break up under its own weight?
If yes then it doesn't need sand at all, in fact you may need to amend the soil with some organic matter to help it hold more moisture.

If it remains a ball, does it break up easily by merely poking at it gently?
If yes then it doesn't need sand.

If you poke at it a bit and it doesn't break up all that well then it probably needs sand.
>>
>>980101
Make room. grab up any scrap container that will hold soil, even containers trash, and use any dirt/soil you can scrounge up. I've grown tomato plants in a cardboard box lined with a trashbag.
>>
>cloning
>>
>>980103
>>980105
What if they're potential trees? Can I force a tree to stay "dwarf size"?
>>
Sup /out/, I've been lurking /diy/ for a while now and I want to rekindle my love for gardening and generally making things myself. I'm planning on building some kind of planting bed for my apartment balcony like pic related. And opinions on a few good plants to start off with/good ideas for fabricating my own beds? My apartment balcont faces north west and I live in southern Ontario
>>
My peppers have put out some fruit but they don't seem to be following the correct ripening color pattern.
They're Numex Twilights and I've heard they're supposed to go purple > yellow > red but right now they're green.

Am I jumping the gun and the process is actually green before purple or have I been sent a different variety?
It's my first grow so plsnobully.
>>
>>980110
If they're not purple yet, they haven't yet started ripening.
>>
>>980110
>My peppers have put out some fruit

Jesus dude, I live in New Mexico, and farmers in the southern part of the state generally don't plant until the middle of March, and chile generally doesn't become available until August. Greenhouse or do you live in some tropical/sub-tropical area?

FYI "Twilight" is a fairly new cultivar. It is entirely possible that it is not as stable as the people at NMSU believe it is. Or, there was an inadvertent cross in the field. Or some seed got mixed up. Shit happens.
>>
>>980115
I see, thank you.

>>980118
I've been growing them under lights.
>>
>>980123
In that case, see if they turn colors. I've not grown them, and this is the first year I've noticed them as being available. Make sure that they're supposed to start as purple as opposed to green, and if they really are Twilight, save some seed and contact somebody at The Chile Pepper Institute. If it's not doing what it is supposed to be doing, they'll be very interested.

https://chile.nmsu.edu/
>>
It's been a few days since the transplants and they're still wilted. Moved them onto the porch to get them out of direct sun but I don't know what else to do at this point. Is there anything else I should do?
>>
>>980108
Yes, google, "espalier" and "bonsai".

>>980109
Ornamental or food?

>>980110
Numex twilight ripen from purple to yellow to orange and lastly to red.

>>980125
see
>>979811

Check moisture and wait longer. Did you radically change their soil type of fertilize them? I normally don't water after transplanting for 2 days, but I make sure the soil was moist, but no wet when I transplant. I also don't fertilize for a couple weeks.
>>
>>980131
Different soil yeah and the soil was watered but not super wet. No fertilizer other than what was already in the soil.
>>
>>980131
Food is what I'm thinking, I'm going to get back into gardening and eventually get to a point where I feel comfortable with aquaponics
>>
>>980134
Normally it is sun, heat, and/or root damage that causes prolonged wilt when the soil is slightly moist and not bone dry.

>>980161
Then grow what you like to eat. If you eat salads and greens, spring is a great time to start them.

https://www.google.com/search?q=balcony+garden+vegetable&tbm=isch
>>
>>980165
Are those french dwarf beans on top?
>>
>>980165
I like the idea in your photo of the pop bottles, thanks Ill do some googling, just wanted to know if there were any "goto" plants for beginners
>>
>>980050
Garden nasturtium (tropaeolum majus) and runner bean (phaseolus coccineus), but they both can be long plants, maybe too much for what you want
>>
>>980175
>just wanted to know if there were any "goto" plants for beginners

Not really. Most food crops are pretty simple.

>>980170
Not sure. The leaves look odd and there's a single purple pod by itself instead of a cluster of pods. Can't reverse image search it because there's 16 pages of google results with nothing but "___ ideas" and "24 designs for gardening" in them.
>>
File: 0329171509.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
0329171509.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
Been repotting various succulents today. Now it's time to give my sad cacti some much needed attention. Definitely in the 'alive, but not thriving' category. There is a prickly pear, a cane choya, and two other unknowns.

I don't really know what I am doing so please feel free to jump in. Like the prickly pear... The lower original pad is pretty sick brown looking. I could repot the whole thing or break off the new pad and discard the lower? Here's hoping no spines get me.
>>
What's the best way to keep cats out of my garden beds

I don't want cat shit in them
>>
File: 0329171521.jpg (716KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
0329171521.jpg
716KB, 2560x1440px
>>980194
Sad lower parts detail
>>
File: 0329171521a.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
0329171521a.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
>>9898019
Also some nasty looking white stuff
>>
File: peach sprout.jpg (1MB, 2472x3296px) Image search: [Google]
peach sprout.jpg
1MB, 2472x3296px
I have a peach sprout that looks like the one in the pic but I keep it in a pot inside.

Is there anything I need to do more than watering and transfering to a bigger pot? Should I be cutting some leaves/branches when they develop?
>>
How much aeration does composting need? I've been composting in 2 liter pickle jars with holes in the lid, and it worked fine, but I wanted something opaque and also bigger, so now I've got a 2.5 gallon bucket with a fancy little filter up top. Is that really enough aeration though, it doesn't need holes lower down?
>>
>>980196
I heard they don't like some odours, like coffee grounds, French marigolds, lavender. Also they don't like humid soils, you can try to water your garden beds when you know a cat is around (a lot of them have quite regular routines)
If you're patient enough, you can also sprinkle the cat when you see it, the cat eventually associates the location with a bad stimulus, though it may take time.
>>
>>980200
>>980197
>>980194
Yeah, you can divide the pads and plant each one for a new plant. There's many tutorials online for how.

>>980200
Those are below a spider web? Might be fungus-covered spider victims. The soil looks like it has too much clay and needs sand in it.

>>980196
I use fencing. In the off season I simply cover the beds with a roll of welded wire fencing. Deer or Bird Netting also works. It is best that it is not touching the soil or the cat will try to crap through it. when you have plants, just build a cheap supportive structure over them or a fence around them. Fyi, I stopped using netting because many snakes were getting caught in it. Plus the welded wire fencing is easier to roll up and roll out.

A single strand of electric wire at cat-nose height also works really well. It is more psychological since they can jump over it, but once they get shocked they usually stay well clear.

I fend off about 2 dozen neighbor hood cats using only the fencing.

>>980202
Look at the place you want to keep it. Then draw it on some paper in the style you want it to be. Then you'll know what branches to keep or buds trim off before they turn into branches.

>>980205
The oxygen content after aeration drops back to pre-aeration levels within about an hour or so after manually mixing. All that is really needed is being exposed to air on the top. If the container is over 4 feet high, I'd install some pipes with holes in them down into the compost. But, really a 5-gallon bucket size only needs its lid ajar for enough oxygen to get in and help the aerobic microbes.
>>
>>980197
The right one seems hopeless...
>>
>>980196
A dog that likes to eat cats.
>>
>>980194
For succulents in distress my rule of thumb is to break off the parts that look good, and keep the parts that look bad just in case they start feeling good again. If the bad parts die, you still have the good parts. If they don't die, you have twice as many plants!

If you're looking for a different/easier to grow species of cactus fruit, look into Hylocereus (pitahaya), I think it's pretty cool.
>>
File: 0329171553.jpg (2MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
0329171553.jpg
2MB, 2560x1440px
>>980209
Thanks for your cactus input. There's definitely a fungus problem (pic). Any tips?

>>980211
Maybe so. I will try breaking off the top, letting it dry a few days, and replanting.

>>980227
Thanks, I'll try splitting them. Any words of wisdom for this fungus root?
I will keep an eye out for Hylocereus!
>>
>>980209
For the cat fencing you're talking about using an electrified fence?

I have a small fence that keeps my dog out but some cat definitely shit in the bed

Will probably try netting first I don't have snakes
>>
>>980078
this guy grows peppers as bonsai also really neat stuff
>>
>>980178
>>980170
Looks like Japanese eggplants. I have one just like those-- great producers and better tasting fruit than traditional seeded eggplant.
>>
File: 20170329_170023.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20170329_170023.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>
>>980274
Are these for aquaponics?
Also, what are aquaponics' benefits? Does it just replaces fertilizer by fish food?
>>
>>980290

Yes. Read up the thread a little. I posted it for another guy.

Aquaponics is good because plants it the fish shit and clean the water for the fish.
>>
>>980235
>Any tips?

Sandy soil and proper drainage.

>>980257
Yes, electrified single wire fence. They like to put their nose against new things. They usually run 50 feet before they stop after getting zapped.

>>980273
>Looks like Japanese eggplants.

Certainly.

>>980290
Normally, you raise fish you can eat. Otherwise, you are correct.
>>
File: 0329171734.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
0329171734.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
>>980302
>>980194
Time will tell if they are healthier... At least they are out of the beer cans now
>>
>>980300
Thanks, I'll check the thread thoroughly
>>
>>980312

Ask any questions you want. Not too many other people do hydroponics or aquaponics. I'm desperate to talk to someone about it. People irl don't give a shit.
>>
>>980316
>People irl don't give a shit.

The same can be said of pretty much ALL of my interests and hobbies. The only reason I didn't get into aquaponics after researching it for a couple years was the plastic. I'm trying to get rid of plastic and replace it in my every day life. Thus, metal piping and glass/metal/concrete tanks. Lastly, fish food, which was the killer for me. If I can find a feesible way to feed channel cats from off my farm without outside food coming from outside the farm's cycle, I'd do it.
>>
>>980320

Look up the diet. A lot of them are vegetarian, so you can probably grow something that they will eat. You won't get as many veggies for yourself, but it would be way cheaper. I feed the goldfish lettuce.
>>
>>980316
Well I'm interested in a very naive way, you may stay desperate, sorry...
I think it's just the general look that attracts me (I couldn't use it due to space limitation, and anyway I wouldn't be able to feed the fish organically). Could you use aquaponics with a planted tank for the fish, or does it become too hard to manage the need of all the different species?
Also, what brought you to this? Is it also simply a way to have nice fishes?
>>
>>980343

I don't care about fish, desu. I have limited space in my yard, so I started doing hydro in my house. That got tedious because my roommates didn't want it in the shared space, and my room is too small. So since I had a decent understanding of hydro, I made the jump.

I've seen lots of guys do a small garden on top of a 5 gallon tank. I don't think it would be too hard.
>>
>>980327
But, I specifically want channel cats. I'd rather not feed them a strict veggie diet, since they don't do that in nature already. I'd probably need to do something like raise insects to feed them. Like feeder roaches.
>>
>>980362

Get a bug zapper and hang it above the tank. I'm thinking about it.
>>
File: 1481862826149.png (34KB, 951x558px) Image search: [Google]
1481862826149.png
34KB, 951x558px
>>980362
You could do worms. Shouldn't be terribly hard - but you'd need to figure out how large of a starting worm population youd need to feed the tank without depleting the number of worms significantly
>>
>>980370
lol

>>980423
I already have some worms, but I don't produce enough to feed them. Rotten wood and paper I have plenty and roaches like that.
>>
>>980274

Wow thats a LOT more than I expected you to have. Howd you transition to the catfish?

Unrelated:
Got the keys to the new house today and the old tenants were trying to grow bamboo. Looks like its trying to still sprout up, anything I can do help it do well?
>>
>>980431

Seriously, that's what a lot of people do.
>>
>>980450

Root killer. Works like a charm.
>>
>>980450
Thin it out a bit if it is really packed. Toss 2 inches of compost on top. If it is invasive and uses roots to multiple, make sure it is contained properly. Some are edible when they are still a young tender shoot.
>>
any way to efficiently aerate soil after plants have already been potted in it? wondering if lack of aeration is part of the transplant shock. used potting mix with sand and peat moss so i wouldn't think so but who knows.
>>
>>980531

Pics? It's hard to aerate deep in the pot without ruining the roots or compacting other parts
>>
>>980274
Are those carrots or radishes?
>>
I want to grow poppy pods this summer, wish me luck guys :) might even grow mushrooms too if it's not too hard.

I'd love to hear if anyone has ever done it
>>
what size pot should i use for basil?
>>
>>980547

Goldfish. I am growing carrots and radishes on the top, though.
>>
File: IMG_20170330_123105.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170330_123105.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
First night out and some little cunt has already found my zuchini. Can anyone identify these bitemarks?
>>
>>980726
>>
>>980726
probably blight
>>
>>980728
No I doubt that. Yesterday the leaves were perfectly green so it happened overnight. Could it be a snail?
>>
>>980726
Looks like a larger animal than a snail/slug. Put some screen/fence around your stuff. Use beer traps just in case.

>>980669
2.5 gallon or larger.
>>
File: 01336-05_2048x2048.jpg (353KB, 1000x986px) Image search: [Google]
01336-05_2048x2048.jpg
353KB, 1000x986px
Thinking about growing a bunch of aloe polyphylla for selling them at the local garden store. I'm trying to set up a bit of rare plant distribution.

Any experience here with this beautiful aloe?
>>
File: IMG_20170330_154648.jpg (305KB, 1778x1000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170330_154648.jpg
305KB, 1778x1000px
>>980259
That's what got me interested in the first place, bonsai have fascinated me for a long time, and then last week I learned peppers are a good introduction to them, so I decided to give it a try.
>>
>>980316
I'm very interested in aquaponics, what's a good place to start learning how to set it all up? I've gona through the sticky already
>>
>>980796

I don't know. I'm an electrician with a little background in plumbing, so I pretty much put it together without any reference material. Give me an idea of the scale of the project you want to put together.
>>
>>980810
What aquarium size are you currently using?
>>
>>980826

I think it's like 200 gallons. You can see a picture of it further up the thread.
>>
>>980810
I'm thinking small like 30 gallon, I want to keep it inside because I live in an apartment
>>
>>980842

They sell manufactured systems about that size. You can just pick one up and stick some lemon grass in there or something. If you're good at woodworking, you can just look at one at the store and try to replicate it.
>>
well I'm on my way. I started planting, 30 corn, 16 tomatoes, about 12 cantaloupe, 20 blackberry. I've grown stuff before, but this is first on my own.
>>
File: 420chan tcctan.jpg (357KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
420chan tcctan.jpg
357KB, 500x500px
>>980589
t. DEA
>>
>>980858
gl hf
>>
>>980832
1k liter aquarium wtf
>>
>>980858
good luck with the corn. Animals go after that like I'm not allowed to have it.
>>
>>980886
pretty big corn field next door. I don't think it gets messed with much. now tomatoes you have to put flagging around them our they get eat to the stub. but well see about the rest.
>>
>>980880
I have a 400gal/1,514L aquarium and a couple 50-100 gallon ones. I've been wanting to do something with them, but I need to build a foundation for them first.

>>980886
Electric fencing. Get it or don't complain. You can do all the dancing, hand waving, spraying, and cursing you want, but only an electric fence or 10, round-the-clock, coon hounds will be able to protect your corn.
>>
>>980891
I have an AR-15 that says you're talking out of your ass bro. I can vigilantly protect my corn with just my rifle and some 'nocs.
>>
>>980891
It's birds, squirrels and chipmunks that get the seeds just as they sprout. I was talking with a few other people around here and they don't bother with corn either just because of the chipmunks.
>>
>>980909
Use rat traps for the chipmunks. For the birds it depends on what type.

>>980908
At 3am?
>>
>>980886
Look into corn cultivars that produce their cobs high up on the stalk. It doesn't eliminate predation, but it does knock it back. I save my own seed, and not getting seed from the plants that produced lower on the stalk because they were eaten has pushed the height of the cobs up year after year, and the predation from animals has gotten lighter. Now, it seems like the only predation I get is from birds going after corn sap beetle larvae, meaning that the cob was either a lost cause to begin with, or the birds helped me out.
>>
>>980956
Birds do the same thing with wire worm sometimes and those are buried inside the stalk. Of course wire worm destroyed the entire plant. the bird will pull up the seedling to get the worm.
>>
Is there a way to grow vines indoors? I want to cover an interior wall with vines. Or just any kind of plants. I tried to grow hardy kiwis, but they died for some reason.
>>
>>980956
They were never getting past seedling. I tried starting them inside, but they don't transfer well. I tried buckets, but they didn't turn out good either. So I use the space for other things. I don't have enough time for peppers either. It's good to figure out what you can and can't do.
>>
File: IMG_20170330_200746.jpg (58KB, 563x1000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170330_200746.jpg
58KB, 563x1000px
>>980793
Lookin' good. Heatmat works really well it seems.
>>
File: smol Compilation Spring 2017.jpg (486KB, 1200x914px) Image search: [Google]
smol Compilation Spring 2017.jpg
486KB, 1200x914px
>>980726
I see little teeth marks, rabbits?

Here's what my garden looked like yesterday after a blistering 89 degree March afternoon. I can't believe the lack of cool weather this year-- it really stunted my broccoli, which I planted back in October and are now finally all flowering.
>>
>>980978
In that case, do what I do:

Go to your local nurseries on some Saturday or Sunday when you have time, and browse all of the seeds. Look for things that you like to eat and that look interesting, and snag a bunch of different things. Try them all. You'll eventually find stuff that works well for you.
>>
>>980991
>tfw we normally plant in May here even for cold crops

I really need to buy some more equipment for polytunnels and get some greenhouses built. That's very nice looking, fyi.

>>980990
>Heat Mat & Infrared Thermometer

That plus a 4-way soil tester and I think my gardening tool box would be complete.
>>
>>980978
>>980909
Netting.
>>
>>980974
Try pothos or english ivy
>>
File: 2bc.jpg (17KB, 399x388px) Image search: [Google]
2bc.jpg
17KB, 399x388px
>>981006

kill all english ivy
>>
>>981000
Heat mat $30 from pet store (it's used for heating terrarium/aquarium), thermometer from aliexpress for a few bucks.
>>
>>980974
Some old guy I used to know grew grapes indoors.
>>
Should we migrate to discord?
>>
>>981072
No thanks, FBI.
>>
Anybody ever tried soaking a plants roots in sugar water before transplanting to alleviate transplant shock? Read some stuff about it online but it sounds like some old wives tale.
>>
File: 1490907501533.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
1490907501533.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>980880

~500 gallons now. It's really not that much.

>>981075

I just got back on 4chan after some time off. Quick rundown?
>>
>>981084
>Quick rundown?

Discord is a VOIP service.

>>981076
Never heard of that before. I just transplant seedlings without removing the soil from around the roots.
>>
File: 1490751851063.jpg (22KB, 351x351px) Image search: [Google]
1490751851063.jpg
22KB, 351x351px
>>981084
>500gal aquaponics system
>mfw I live in a place where everything freezes solid every winter
>>
>>981093
>greenhouse
>some wood, pieces of greenhouse glass
>500 bucks
>>
>>981091

The internet gets smaller every day, breh

>>981093

Build a greenhouse.
>>
>>980974
Passionflower is extremely easy to grow indoors from seed, literally every seed in a store bought passion fruit sprouts, just make sure you get a really big pot so it isn't hampered by lack of root space because otherwise you just end up with spindly vines instead of a colossal plant. Put it together with ivy for a perfect symbiosis. Take good care of it and in 2 to 3 years you'll get flowers and fruit indoors (provided you do the pollinating yourself).
>>
>>981076
Would it not take all the humidity from the roots to the sugar?
>>
File: cobbsson.jpg (287KB, 800x532px) Image search: [Google]
cobbsson.jpg
287KB, 800x532px
>>981098
>The internet gets smaller every day, breh

http://www.readthehook.com/101282/2-plants-citizen-terrorized-swat-team-pot-raid

http://www.alternet.org/drugs/outrageous-marijuana-raid-swat-raid-organic-farm-vegetables

http://www.courthousenews.com/bungled-pot-raid-far-from-innocent-10th-circuit-told/

http://www.naturalnews.com/033280_FDA_raids_timeline.html

http://www.thedailychronic.net/2015/48810/marijuana-or-hemp-dea-indian-tribe-raid-raises-questions/

https://www.farmtoconsumer.org/blog/2016/07/01/consumers-can-respond-raid/

http://www.naturalnews.com/039794_indoor_gardening_war_on_drugs_police_raids.html

The less of a profile you leave online, especially on 4chan, the better.
>>
>>981084
you realize 500gallons is a ton of water?
>>
>>981183
You've done your math wrong, it's two tons.
>>
>>981241
>>981183
500 US gallons = 4,172.632 US pounds
>>
>>979578
I'm pretty sure that's "Wandering Jew" watch out. It spreads like crazy.
>>
>>981339
>Wandering Jew

Hm, that seems likely too. That vine that's purple-y green to the left of the first flower there is part of it--I was trying to pull it up only to find that was the flower and all too. So it does seem vine-y.
>>
>>981375
Personally, I'd transplant it to a big pot and watch what it becomes.
>>
>>981241
ya
>>
File: IMG_20170331_110752.jpg (28KB, 800x425px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170331_110752.jpg
28KB, 800x425px
"anon, what is that?"
>>
Do peppers drop their flowers after succesful pollination or only due to stress?
>>
>>981555
They only drop the petals after successful pollination. If the entire flower fall, often it's simply punctual overwatering. If they keep falling despite correct watering, then I'd search for another problem
>>
>>981555
>>981562
Peppers losing full blossoms are due to tons of things: water stress, high humidity, aphid stress, unsuccessful pollination, nutrient imbalance... I'd check the water and aphid stress first, then try to fertilize them with lower N fertilizer like epsom salts, bone meal, or compost tea.
>>
Apologies in advance for the stupid question, but I'm on a tight schedule packing for a 14 hour flight and would love a good beginners guide to gardening for the plane. I think my biggest weaknesses are soil management and identifying problems before the plant just dies.

If it helps, I live in 9a and will be planting exclusively in pots, because apartment.
>>
File: DSC09676.jpg (3MB, 4592x3056px) Image search: [Google]
DSC09676.jpg
3MB, 4592x3056px
Any spider buffs that can tell me what these two are? TN area.

I'd like to know more about the yellow one really,is it just a young orb weaver/garden spider? I have tons of these setting up webs in a bunch of blueberry bushes which I don't mind if they are that.
>>
File: DSC09691.jpg (3MB, 4592x3056px) Image search: [Google]
DSC09691.jpg
3MB, 4592x3056px
>>981658
>>
File: 1490975433659.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1490975433659.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
Growing raddicho from discarded end.
>>
>>980327
what about growing food for the fish in the tank? I've seen Aqua setups that grow duckweed or cattails for the fish to eat.
>>
File: IMG_20170331_181813.jpg (214KB, 600x1000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170331_181813.jpg
214KB, 600x1000px
>greenhouse masterrace
>>
>>981098
>>981097

greenhouse =/= permaculture

>>981093
I have a greenhouse and I can promise it still gets to freezing at night when it's -20C outside
>>
>>981617
Part 1 out of 9 or 10:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNMdWnfjs8s
>>
File: 20170331_124950.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170331_124950.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
It's been 4 or 5 days since the transplant, still very wilted and maybe getting worse. What do?
>>
>>981700
looks like it needs water.
>>
>>981701
we use to have plants that got like that you give em some water, hour later it's like they were never droopy.
>>
>>981700
If the soil is properly moist all I have to ask is, "did you remove the soil off the roots when you transplanted?"
>>
>>981714
Yes
>>981701
Soil is still moist. Drainage holes in the bottom of the bucket.
>>
>>981700
I see some dimpling/discoloration as well as drooping. I had this issue with some of my peppers last summer, and while they weren't always there when I looked, I found it was aphid damage. Aphids suck the fluid from leaves and flowers buds and can damage them permanently.

Right as I type this, I have a fruit plant I transplanted recently with permanently droopy top leaves. They got swarmed by aphids right after the move, and never looked the same. The newer leaves'll be fine if kept pest free.
>>
>>981752
i sprayed them off during the transplant but i'll check for aphids now i guess.
>>
>>981719
>Yes

You are not supposed to remove the soil from the roots of transplants. At most, 1/3 of the soil will get replaced when repotting house plants, but 1/4 is better. For garden transplants you don't disturb the roots if you can help it.

It may take a long time for that to recover, if it will recover.
>>
>>981776
i was just doing what this guy said to do https://youtu.be/yB9aWc4PVKA

he doesn't seem to have any problems
>>
File: 640px-Taphrina_deformans_1.jpg (59KB, 640x479px) Image search: [Google]
640px-Taphrina_deformans_1.jpg
59KB, 640x479px
Are there cultivar of peach trees that are immune to Taphrina deformans?
> pic related

Also, i got a pretty old peach tree with a nest of ants inside it, is it better if i remove the nest or let it be?
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (108KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
108KB, 480x360px
>>981784
>"without damaging the roots"
>proceeds to hose the roots clean and rip them apart
>gets dirty soil water all over the leaves

What a moron.

There's a reason why you thin the plants to 1 plant and don't remove the soil. If you need more plants, plant in more containers. Look at how wilted his plants get. The water on the sides hasn't even had time to dry off and they are already on their way to wilting.

None of my plants ever wilt, even in the slightest when I transplant them.

1: Thin the plants so there's 1 per container, cut the extra off, this prevents competition and dwarfing.
2: Keep the soil together on the roots; with throwaway containers you cut the container off if the root ball will not slip out on its own; it reusable containers you coax it out as easily as possible; this prevents wilting, dwarfing, root rot, and infections. It also keeps the mycorrhizal system intact.
3: You keep the leaves clean to prevent virus, fungi, and bacteria infections.
>>
>>981799
If they are carpenter ants they will excavate the wood out of the tree to make room for a larger colony. That harms the tree.
>>
>>981681

Yeah, that's what I said. If you grow some water plants, there won't be as much bio material for the plants that are meant for your consumption, so you can't grow as many.

>>981686

I think I mentioned it earlier, but I live in Florida. I don't know anything about cold weather. But would a greenhouse + space heater/water heater not be efficient? I remember about a year ago there was discussion about this itt. Things like large stones were mentioned, to be used to soak up heat during the day.
>>
Howdy buckaroos, last year you guys inspired me to start some sacrificial gourd plants. This year I planted some sacrificial peas outside. Unfortunately it seemed a frost killed them after a month of no apparent activity, so I started some plants indoors, hardened them off and then planted them in the same bed as the duds.
After a week of heavy rain it turns out that the seeds weren't duds after all. So now that they're all packed together I don't know if I should just let them grow together and let them be stunted, or if I should try to carefully remove some of the less robust fellas to free up space.

tldr: I have too many plants in one bed and don't know whether to let them play thunderdome or try to untangle and uproot the smaller ones to make space.
>>
>>981891
Chop off the extras. Kill the smallest, the deformed, and the bug eaten ones, leave the rest.
>>
>>981893
Thank you, glad it has warmed up again. Does anybody know what came came of the brave anon who tried to grow a pumpkin indoors and out of season?
>>
I planted microgreens a couple of days ago, still waiting to see if anything grows
>>
File: Pumpkinvine Feeding Time.webm (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
Pumpkinvine Feeding Time.webm
3MB, 640x360px
>>981912
He never posted again, though the plant still tweets quite profusely.
>>
>>981924
What did you plant? That's basically what I'm doing with,

Lamb's Quarter
Lady's Thumb
Chickweed
Common Yellow Woodsorrel
Redroot Pigweed
>>
File: IMG_7481.jpg (182KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7481.jpg
182KB, 800x600px
>>981939
Something called radish red rambo, I also have rucola seeds but decided to try one at a time
>>
>>981948
Those are pretty neat, the sprouts should be purple.
>>
>>981949
I plan on using them for this http://www.greatitalianchefs.com/recipes/pink-gnocchi-recipe
>>
>>980761
Do you live in a temperate zone? I have a small one indoors. In my experience they like Sandy soil and high heat with a little bit of water
>>
I planted 30 corn. I'm a farmer, I farm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrbY4hsNh64
>>
File: 1485895772910.jpg (46KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1485895772910.jpg
46KB, 500x500px
>>981948
Someone else who uses old mushroom cartons to grow seeds, nice
>>
Absolute new person here interested in growing lemons. I'll be in the pastebin.
>>
File: IMG_0839.jpg (211KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0839.jpg
211KB, 900x600px
Day 3: I think I watered them a bit too much today
>>982057
Kek, how did you know it's a mushroom container in particular?
>>
File: DSCN8187a.jpg (3MB, 4648x3296px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN8187a.jpg
3MB, 4648x3296px
>>982057
>>982163
All of mine started out using store mushroom containers as drip trays. Though, I transplanted almost everything into 2-liter soda bottles. Without humidity tents, the paper tubes don't work as well.

>before & now pic
>>
>>982240
how many watts are those leds?
>>
File: DSCN8725a.jpg (826KB, 3648x2736px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN8725a.jpg
826KB, 3648x2736px
>>982163
>Day 3

I always love how brassica plants are super fast germinaters.

>>982245
42watts, 4 feet long, 4500 Lumens, Honeywell shoplights from Sam's Club:

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/4ft-led-shoplight-wt-in-club-item-712371/prod20070899.ip

Compare that to the couple 4' long fluorescent lights on the 3rd shelf up which are 80 watts each and create amazing heat. All the lights combined are the only heating in my house right now and it stays about 80F in here as a result. Next spring, I'll be swapping out the fluorescent lights with LEDs and have a purpose built shelving unit to house everything more efficiently. I run them 16 hours a day. Currently my electric bill increased something like $15/mo from just those lights. Which is far cheaper than buying the same mount of plants at the local greenhouse.
>>
>>982250
i have a 4watt growlight bulb in a floor lamp
>>
>>982266
How many plants/space does it cover? What is its distance from the leaves?
>>
>>982269
it covers the entire area :)
>>
File: forgot how to dog.jpg (44KB, 497x466px) Image search: [Google]
forgot how to dog.jpg
44KB, 497x466px
>>982274
But!
>>
File: DSCN8727a.jpg (219KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN8727a.jpg
219KB, 1024x768px
>tfw your potatoes are sprouting and it is months before the next harvest and a month before you can plant them outside

Curse that warm weather we had last month.
>>
>>982304
species?
>>
How do i stop my dog from being a cunt and running over my crops everytime someone walks past the back gate?

He has already murdered 1 shallot plant....
>>
>>982304
where do you live?
>>
>>982305
Purple Majesty ('Solanum tuberosum subsp. andigenum,' aka, 'Solanum andigenum').

>>982323
Fencing and positive training.
>>
File: the fuck.gif (958KB, 250x269px) Image search: [Google]
the fuck.gif
958KB, 250x269px
>>982332
Zone 5 which "they" are trying to label as Zone 6 or Zone 7 now due to this 1 warm winter. They are conveniently failing to remember the several winters that were -40 in the past ten years.
>>
>>982163
I just recognize the shape and material. They are exclusively used for packing mushrooms in my area.
>>
>>982410
mushroom popular?
>>
File: 20170401_130632.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170401_130632.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
so i decided to impulse buy some plants and i brought them home yesterday, i'm worried i can't save the spearmint? i plan on going to the store today to maybe get better soil and i guess fertilizer to put them in the ground. any reccs?

i live in new orleans so it's flat and gets pretty hot. i guess i have to worry about flooding? the people said i needed them in a lot of light.

picrel is spearamint
>>
File: 20170401_130640.jpg (3MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170401_130640.jpg
3MB, 3264x1836px
>>982445
sad looking tomato plants
>>
>>982447
aaaand eggplant, looks like something chewed into them. pls help thank
>>
File: 20170401_130734.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170401_130734.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>982450
forgot pic
>>
>>982445
>>982447
That looks like they are getting shocked from the light. When you get plants from the store, or start them inside, you need to put them somewhere shady when you first put them out.
>>
>>982454
ahh!! alright, i was wondering it it might of been that or needed more water. so should i place them in the shade outside for now or keep them inside? can i save them? :( it's odd because when i bought them they were placed outside so i didn't think that would happen.
>>
>>982459
If it's water it only takes 15-30 for them to perk up from being dry. The first pic looks a little rough, but the second doesn't look too bad. Under a shady tree for a few days is usually a good spot for them.
>>
File: 1372120722116.jpg (74KB, 677x782px) Image search: [Google]
1372120722116.jpg
74KB, 677x782px
>>982304

i know that feel.

>when you know there's one more hard freeze left in store.

at least the kale is in
>>
>>982462
thanks!! i put both of them in a shaded part of my backyard, and will keep watch. this is like my first push into being self sustainable and i'd like to not kill everything i touch lol.
>>
File: file.png (1MB, 1089x754px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
1MB, 1089x754px
>>982468
>>982304
>that feel when the winter just means your C4 plants stop growing but don't die
>>
>>982445
>>982447
Keep them in the shade for a week or more. Don't fertilize them until they have been in the ground for at least 2 weeks and only if a soil test shows you need fertilizer. Repot those into a large final container or into the ground, but keep them shaded. Don't shake any soil off the roots when transplanting.

Keep the soil slightly moist, but not wet. It will cool to your finger when your finger is about 1 knuckle deep into the soil.

>>982468
I'm gearing up to set out starts soon. Onions are popping up. Garlic is in full swing. Potatoes were planted last fall and are dormant in their hills. Asparagus is awaiting explosion.

>>982488
>tfw not living somewhere that has water use laws
>>
>>982518
that's a shame, i was hoping to plant them in my side yard because it gets a lot of light. so if i'm planning to plant them in the ground, would it be okay if i put my eggplants beside the tomatoes too? should i buy tarp or something to shade them?
>>
File: 20170401_154722.jpg (3MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170401_154722.jpg
3MB, 3264x1836px
>>982563
so i dug up a small hole to see what i'm dealing with, the soil seems to be pretty dark so far and it does feel cool and a little moist. i guess it isn't too bad?
>>
>>982447
Not half as sad as mine look, but I'm intentionally abusive. I like to save my own seed, so I figure those plants that survive my abuse are going to have offspring that are easier for me to grow in the future.
>>
>>982563
Shade cloth is the best thing to use. It allows light through but preventing sun scalding. Plant them in the sunniest area, just under shade cloth for a while.

>>982569
You can treat the hole like a container and put in "good" soil if you wish.
>>
File: pcYeqkXBPW-6.png (27KB, 300x250px) Image search: [Google]
pcYeqkXBPW-6.png
27KB, 300x250px
>>982587
must b stronk
picrel
>>982645
aw thanks dude! very helpful, yeah, i will definaitely look into getting better shade. so i have a huge bag of potting soil for the other plants i have that are inside(ivy, succulents, etc) so that means it's bad to use that outside? i have to also test my area for lead as well i just found out, so there's that...
>>
>>982663

That soil looks fine. The only suggestion that I have is to throw some of this down.

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/farm-seed/legumes/clovers/

Don't forget inoculate.
>>
>>982663
I'd mix 1 part outside soil with 2 parts potting soil then put that in a hole in the ground to plant the plants in.
>>
I'm experimenting. I just got seeds in mud, I'm water them n see if they come up. If they come up, I'm put miracle grow on after two weeks? never heard of that one.
>>
>>982687
Mud? Like sticky watery mud? Seeds need access to oxygen in order to sprout, meaning some air.

>I'm put miracle grow on after two weeks?

No, two weeks after transplanting. The general idea is to start your plants 2 whole months before your area's last frost. Meaning they would be 2 months and 2 weeks old when you add some fertilizer. However, you only add fertilizer if they need it. The only way you can tell for sure without seeing obvious deficiency signs in the plants is to test the soil. The best way to test is to use a kit where you mix the liquids and stuff. You can use the electronic soil testers, but normally they only give you a reading for total NPK instead of a single reading for each.

If you fertilize and they don't need it, they might get root burn from having too many mineral salts in the soil. Also, you wait for 2 weeks after the transplant to allow the plant and roots to adjust themselves and heal any injuries caused by the transplanting.
>>
>>982694
thank you. I'm trying to do this just from seeds in the ground.
>>
>>982698
I could go extreme gardening, but I'm trying bare minimum.
>>
>>982698
>>982699
Then you can fertilize when the seedlings get their first fully developed set of real leaves. You have to use a diluted amount and you should do testing to get a better grasp of what is going on in the soil.
>>
>>982702
thank you.
>>
>Put some seeds (3 or 4) on soil.
>Two weeks later.
>Nothing.
>"Oh, well, let's try again"
>Put 9 seeds from a different plant on the same pot.
>One week later.
>First sprouts. 2 plants.
>Some more next day.
>"So, that's it, 9 seeds, 9 plants."
>Next day. Some more sprouts.
>And then some bit more next day.

So... I have like half dozens plants I wasn't expecting to born in that pot, and I'm pretty sure most of them are from the hibiscus flowers I was originally trying to grow, which I was more interested in trying than growing lettuce, which I already did.

So... I'll have to weed them once I figure which one is which. And here are my questions:

> Growing so many plants together could be bad in the long term?

I suppose as they are small, they will need few nutrients and room, so I don't think they will starve each other... yet.

> Is there a point when the plants are too old to be transplanted?

I would like to grow both, the lettuce and hibiscus, but until I can tell apart them from random seeds that may have sprout, I would prefer to keep them growing in there.
>>
>>982707
>on soil

Goes in soil. :)

>Growing so many plants together could be bad in the long term?

Yes. Normally, you grow them in separate pots while only having 2-4 seeds/seedlings to a pot. Once you transplant you snip off everything except the largest in the pot. I usually wait a couple weeks to ensure nothing gets bug eaten or diseased before thinning them out. Just don't pull them apart, that can seriously injure both root-entangled plants.

>Is there a point when the plants are too old to be transplanted?

No. Potted house plants always need repotted every year up to every couple of years to prevent them from becoming root bound, prevent mineral build up, and to revitalize their soil.

I suggest google image searching, "hibiscus seedling" and "lettuce seedling". Though, waiting until the first true leaf or two sprouts will be easier.
>>
>>982712
>I suggest google image searching

Da fuck...

Apparently, at first look, none of the plants are hibiscus. Actually, like half of them looks like lettuce, and the other half... the fuck knows? I'll wait for them to grow a bit more, but looks like someone was messing with my pots.

Thanks.
>>
>>982716
Might be random weeds. Take a photo and post.
>>
>I'm new to this shit
If I want to keep a plant relatively small, can I just keep it in a smaller pot? I read that that will cause them to become 'rootbound', is there any way to prevent this, or to fix it when it happens, without transplanting them to a bigger pot?
>>
>>982919
If you bonsai it you'll have to repot it, in the same pot, and cut off excess roots. Otherwise, if you give it a larger pot, it will grow larger every time.
>>
>>982923
Bonsai is my end goal for some peppers, but for instance if I have a species that can grow to 6ft tall, is there a way to keep it to 2ft without ruining it?
>>
>>982928
How do you think bonsai works? You manually trim it the entire time it tries to grow larger. Once you have the shape you want for everything above the soil you move it into a bonsai pot where the roots are severely restricted and cut back every year or two. This stunts the growth while you still maintain the shape.

It is a pretty intense hobby.
>>
>>982938
Makes sense. Thanks!
>>
>>981799

There are a few like Frost,Indian,and Redhaven.

However your best bet is going to be an actual chemical control either through copper or lime fungicides.

And fuck ants. If they have hollowed out the tree it's probably on it's way out honestly. They'll get all into your peaches too.
>>
>>982971

How do i plug the holes?
I can't remove the ants without the tunnels getting full of water when it rains and then making the wood go bad
>>
Hey goys!
Can i tell the difference between courgette and pumpkin plants? I planted them without marking them like an idiot and now i don't know what is what.
>>
>>982991
Use "Japanese cut paste". It is used on limb wounds when you cut the limbs off of trees when pruning bonsai.

>>982997
Google image search the leaves. Specifically the cultivar name if you know it. Is the zucchini a vine or bush type? That will help you out a bit.
>>
>>982997
I am unaware of any commercially available cultivar of zucchini that is a vining type of c. pepo. The basic way of telling them apart without labels is to see which one grows like a vining type squash. After that, if they're both vining, you let them start to produce fruit, and that'll tell you.

Really, anon, it doesn't matter what kind of squash it is until it starts producing fruit. When it does start producing, it's obvious what it is. Sit back, let them grow, and enjoy it.
>>
>>982997
The squash will produce long before the pumpkin. Just lead the vine away so the bush doesn't grow on top of it.
>>
>>983020
Rambling zucchini are vines.
>>
>>983149
and trombetta
>>
File: IMG_1123.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1123.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Oregano is truly the master race

Every other plant im growing are sensitive faggots
>>
>>983294
It just fits your world view. Like how cactus plants fit most people's world view.

>at least 5 people reading this will be reminded they forgot to water their plants
>2 of those people will say "I'll do it later" and forget.
>>
File: Resized_20170402_184817.jpg (209KB, 918x1632px) Image search: [Google]
Resized_20170402_184817.jpg
209KB, 918x1632px
So I browsed /out/ threads and this one seems the most relevant to my dilemma.

Pic related is my plant and I KNOW it needs a bigger pot now, but the way it is spread I'm not sure how I can safely take it out. I'm fairly sure the roots engulf the entire bowl of soil, is just smashing the pot an option? I'm obviously not going to get violent with it but I feel like I'd break off a lot of parts if I tried to manhandle it out.

Suggestions?
>>
it's dropping to 41°F tonight. i'm assuming that's a bit low for peppers. Will moving them onto a glass-enclosed porch do enough against the cold?
>>
>>983440
More or less.

Why don't you bring them inside? If you're cold, they're cold.
>>
>>983447
dont really have room for 15 5-gallon buckets indoors.
>>
>>983439
1: Get a ton of extra pots and soil.
2: Start hacking the foliage back and planting all the cuttings and leaves in the new pots of soil.
3: Use a butter knife to help extract the root ball.
4: Loosen the roots a bit and repot with about 2/3 of the old soil in the new pot.

When you hack the leaves off you are essentially creating a situation where the mass of roots are no longer needed as much. Thus, when you loosen the roots and accidentally break some, that will not affect the rest of the plant like it would if you'd not cut off the leaves. Now you have a ton of pots with new plants. Google "how to grow jade plant fro cuttings" or something similar for better details. Each leave can be a new plant, fyi.

If you really want it in one piece, let the soil dry out a good bit so that it starts to shrink away from the sides. Then hold your hand over the plant and you turn the pot upside down and shake it out. Tapping your hand on the pot bottom will help. You may need a friend's help. If anything breaks off, just plant it.

>>983440
Yes. If they have to suffer a week of that it will affect them, but a night or two under cover will be fine. Frost is the main enemy. You can set container of water around them for the night to help. That can be hot water so long as it doesn't touch the pots directly.
>>
File: 20170402_181255.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170402_181255.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
>>983294
Just planted some spicy oregano

Do I just water it sometimes and stuff like every other plant?

Also will it even really be spicy?
>>
>>983454
I had wondered if that was a thing I could do, which parts do you "hack" off, the newest? oldest? somewhere in between?
>>
>>983456
Yes and yes.

>>983294
Mine will live through anything, but they only look really pretty and green right after I fertilize them.
>>
>>983459
Hack off whatever you don't want, in order to achieve the look you like. It may help to draw a few pictures of the final shape you want.
>>
Thinning seedlings really is the hardest thing to do.

I normally do this when I transplant them outside just in case one dies during the process of hardening off. However, these plants are competing far too much.

I'm actually in the process of putting a poly tunnel over a bed just to move everything out to it. I'm already running out of height room for the plants.

*snip*
>>
>>983479
couldnt you just replant the trimming in the same pot so it starts getting roots and then when you transplant the big guy out the trimmings can have the entire space to develop more roots
>>
File: DSCN8753a.jpg (592KB, 1024x2288px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN8753a.jpg
592KB, 1024x2288px
>tfw you notice your only yellow summer squash is about to go nuclear

>>983484
The pot is full of roots already. I plant the entire pot of soil, I do my best not to lose any soil, from around the roots, if I can help it. If I wanted more tomato plants, I'd buy more lights and plant more seeds.
>>
File: spinach.jpg (11KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
spinach.jpg
11KB, 275x183px
Total beginner gardener here. Haven't lurked /out/ for more than a few hours so I have just this one question until I check the information in the resources section.

Are there any homemade options to reduce or increase the pH of my soil? So far I've found that using lemon/vinegar might help to reduce it and eggshells for the opposite but I'm pretty doubtful about this and afraid to do any potential harm to my plants.

Any suggestions? Pic related is what I'm attempting to grow. Planning on introducing some lettuce in the upcoming days.
>>
>>983549
>Are there any homemade options to reduce or increase the pH of my soil?

Make sure you do a soil test. Slow soil adjustment is always better on existing plants, mycorrhizae, and beneficial microbes.

Increases pH making it less acidic/more basic:

Ground calcium carbonate (speed FAST, when wet soil)
Limestone (speed slow)
Ground oyster shell (speed slow)
Wood ash (hardwood only; speed FAST, but only lasts short term)
Crushed eggshels (speed slow)

Decreases the pH making it more acidic/less basic:

Sulfur (mix with soil in warm summer for bacterial activity; speed slow)
Sphagnum peat moss (speed slow)
1 gallon of water with 2 teaspoons of vinegar mixed into it. (speed FAST)

For how to use stuff, google like, "raise soil pH eggshells," or "how to DIY soil pH test" and get to reading.
>>
>>983549
I've heard peatmoss incorporated in the soil, and bloodmeal to fertilize. Also I don't trust those "probe" ph testers for a ph<6
>>
>>983570
oh these are for lowering soil ph, i just did lots of reading on it for blueberries. also coffee grounds are good fertalizer for lower ph and add nitrogen like bloodmeal
>>
File: hanging_glass_terrarium_12.jpg (54KB, 469x700px) Image search: [Google]
hanging_glass_terrarium_12.jpg
54KB, 469x700px
A friend bought me this as a present, can I actually grow anything in them?
>>
Why are there kickass torrent link in the pastebin when kat is dead?
>>
>>983549 >>983576
>>983569
I wouldn't use vinegar as a way to reduce the pH. The resulting soil has no tampon effect (the pH will not be stabilized). I don't know about the long time effect of pine needle, but you might want to take a look.
For blueberries, it's not original but I would simply buy heather earth and mix it with some draining elements and some compost. If you don't trust probe tester (which are indeed quite blurry), just get a cheap chemical test which will be much more precise.
>>
>>983679
Of course, but only certain types of plants suited for less soil and small spaces. Though, I'm sure some vines that hang out would work too.

>>983681
No one updates that. Use the names to search alternatives, if they exist.
>>
File: IMG_20170403_141528177_HDR.jpg (1MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170403_141528177_HDR.jpg
1MB, 2592x1944px
does anyone have some advice on my tomato seedlings (the big ones hitting the roof)
>>983486
these looks really fantastic. i've just transplanted one of my more leggy seedlings into a bottle planter similar to what you're doing.
>>
>>983750
Hi. Your tomatoes are very leggy, I'd give them much more light. When transplanting, I'd put soil at least up to the cotyledons
>>
>>983679

air plants (Tillandsia)

nothing much else. Maybe some moss.
>>
>>983753
I have been using a kitchen foil board to reflect light but it hasn't been that sunny here recently. And not quite warm enough for them to go outside either. The first one I transplanted I left about an inch below the cotyledons. I'll make another bottle one today. Thanks for the tip.
>>
>>983753
>When transplanting, I'd put soil at least up to the cotyledons

I agree with this for any solanaceae. They do well like that and will grow roots along their stem.

>>983767
Got any lamps or shop lights? Literally anything at all to add more light will work.
>>
>>983787
Don't you those special lamps for that? The kinds they use to grow weed.
>>
>>983787
yeah i'll put lamps on in the evening (can't waste electricity running them in the day)
>>
>>983794
You can, but it isn't needed for stuff like this. You are not growing plants from seed to harvest under the lights.

>>983803
Running them during daylight hours is the whole point. You can mess up the plant's life cycle by doing it differently.
>>
File: Trident1.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
Trident1.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
Just got this trident maple, its made up of two fused trunks twisted together. I plan on training it into a formal upright bonsai specimen. Any other anons interested in bonsai?
>>
>>983838
I had several bonsai in past decades. It is fun, but I switched all my energy to food production and pretty much tossed all my non-food stuff.

That scare from the removed limb second from the top is going to by the back side of the bonsai I hope. lol
>>
>>983846
But non-food plants can play a role in food production systems, anon. Leguminous trees can build soil like a motherfucker. Flowers can attract beneficial insects and pollinators. Various cover crops can be used to address soil fertility, tilth, and even help with pest management. Perennial ground covers can help suppress weeds. Even weeds can be an indicator that your soil has problems, though sometimes they're an indicator that something simply dropped a fuck-ton of weed seed on your property.
>>
>>983851
All the stuff I have in my garden are edible and I eat the regularly. That includes everything on your list except nitrogen fixers which are not needed since I have a constant supply of high nitrogen compost moving through. Even all the weeds are edible.
>>
>>983838
>Any other anons interested in bonsai?
Yup >>980793
First time properly growing anything, I wonder how it'll go. I think my first seeds are starting to sprout, I'm on day 4.
>>
File: 1489596205029.jpg (65KB, 526x350px) Image search: [Google]
1489596205029.jpg
65KB, 526x350px
NEW THREAD: >>983872
>>
File: IMG_20170403_200648.jpg (234KB, 870x749px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170403_200648.jpg
234KB, 870x749px
bell peppers growing stronger
>>
I'm growing a dawn redwood bonsai, and I just repotted it and cut the roots pretty far down, just before all of the buds broke.

it was doing well until I put time release 20-9-9 fertilizer on it, and I think I burned the roots. the foliage is now shriveled.

Should I disturb the roots and re-plant it or let the fertilizer run out? I don't want this tree to die
>>
>>983949
Add water to the point the substrate is soaked, then add it some more. I'd rinse it at least three times to be sure
Thread posts: 314
Thread images: 71

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.