[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fishing & Tackle Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 316
Thread images: 74

File: 1487726906215.jpg (92KB, 600x673px) Image search: [Google]
1487726906215.jpg
92KB, 600x673px
#129-"Hump Day" Edition

Previous Thread:
>>954062

Where is that anon who posted the long video telling when to use which lures in what conditions? Anybody else ever watch it? Should we keep it in the OP? Otherwise we could get a list of Youtube vids and put them in the Pastebin or keep a couple important ones in the OP.

Thinking about picking up a new hobby? Want to get a memecaster? Haven't mastered the Palomar knot? Click here!
http://www.pastebin.com/u/fishingandtackle
https://imgur.com/a/1Xw3N

Talk about fishin
>>
>>955727
>>955724
>>955725
My bad I was talkin to the QT Venezuelan grill for like half an hour while she was feeding me experimental espresso drinks.
>>
>>955738
Dem crazy eyes
Still no toofgirl though
>>
alright

looking to buy a surf rod , for use with lures mostly
topwater plugs, poppers as well as other jerkbaits, and bucktails
but may also use it for soaking bait
stripers bluefish and soaking baits for small sharks, skates etc

id like something 9 ft , ( i could do 8 or 10 ft as well but ideally 9 ft)
id like a pretty quick action
most lures id be throwing will be 1-3 ounces with the occational heavier or lighter lure probably down to 1/2 an ounce or up to ounces
though i will probably get a second lighter rod for the lighter stuff

also probably going to buy a new reel, very well may end up with a spinfisher 6500
unless i get other suggestions on great reels

if i can keep the price under $200 that would be good
>>
>>955740
>talking to QT
Not an excuse...
Saw a Fenwick Eagle Light yesterday at Dicks. They don't have it online but maybe your local one does. Can't recall length as I looked at a few but may have been 6'6" Was a 2-piece which I don't think you're big on, I prefer 1-piece, but had a decent feel.
$49
fishusa has both 6' & 6'6" for 59
>>
>>955744
any advice on >>955743
?
>>
>>955743
look for a used St Croix Mojo surf. I have an 8' that I paired with that exact reel and love it. New will still be under/around $200. tackledirect has 9' for 200

Lamiglas insane is highly recommended and I've looked at them. WIll probably get it after I buy my new truck tires in a few weeks. I'm thinking 11' on that one.
>>
>>955748
are they decent for lures? relitivley quick action?

i got $800 tax refund so im thinking of getting rid of my old combo ( 8 ft tsunami trophy and a penn fierce) to a friend and getting a new one that will fit my fishing style a bit better
>>
>>955734
>Not the best to use with braid. I lost a nice fish because I was using that and the knot slipped. Works pretty good with mono tho.

You need to use more wraps around the main line and use 2-3 wraps through the eyelet before around the main line.

Also, on any knot, if you have trouble with it pulling out you can melt the tag end close to the knot using a lighter.
>>
>>955748
Damn $200? Aren't the Mojo Bass rods like $120? That's a big jump for the extra 2ft.

And damn I gotta go for that Latina. She an easy 8/10 but I always suck at flippin that small talk into somethin more and she wants it for sure.
>>
>>955751
99% of what I surf cast is lures or soft plastics like eels or shads. I'd say you won't be disappointed. I can feel the lure action even in the canal current which is vicious.
>>
>>955758
They have Triumph Surf that are cheaper but I really like the Mojo. I paid $80 or 90 used for mine
>>
>>955758
Ask her to go fishing with you mang. Just don't fuck up and get skunked.
>>
>>955759
how big of lures do you chuck with the 8 footer?
id like to be able to easily chuck 6-7 inch poppers etc without feeling like i might snap my rod

i like y 8 ft tsunami trophy but its a bit soft for my prefference, and even throwing 2.5 ounce lures feels like a stretch when im really trying to whip it out there

though i can gently toss 5 ounces with it it still worrys me when im trying to whip 2-3 ounces
i think its becuse the action isnt quite as quick as id like
>>
>>955762
get a jerk bait rod.
>>
>>955761
I gotta bring her to this dude's art gallery, somewhere in Miami I think. Come over here and work as my wingman. Only time I ever get it in is when I got a friend pushin me into it otherwise I'm too nice. Been in a drought since I moved down here and been keeping to myself.

>>955759
I think the Triumph bass rods are normally around $100 so I bet the Mojo Surf is a bit less than $200
>>
>$500 shopping cart
should i do it?
>>
>>955759
>a
>>955762
also what pound line do you run?
i was thinking 40 lb braid but might go with 50 just due to color choice
>>
>>955768
>Come over here and work as my wingman
I'm only a 16 hour drive away!

>>955771
Yes
>>
>>955775
actually if i splt my cart up between bps and cabellas i can get it don under $400 with gift cards
>>
Can you use the drag as a bite indicator when fishing for something like catfish? For example, would it be possible to set the drag on your reel very light and tighten down it down whenever you hear the line start to feed out?
>>
>>955786
yeha, keep the drag set light, when you notice the fish grab your rod, palm the reel, and set the hook then tighten your drag
>>
>>955786
There are actually catfish reels that have dual drag settings. For instance, you have one set loose and then you just flip the switch on it to switch to fighting drag. Give me a little bit and I could try to find it for you. I've seen Luke from Catfish and Carp use it multiple times.
>>
>>955786
All the time.
>>
>>955793
theyre called bait runners
>>
>>955795
Makes sense. I've never used one but I knew something like that existed. Seems a lot easier than trying to manually tighten drag and potentially lose a fish.
>>
>>955791
>>955793
>>955794
Thats good to hear. I like catfishing, but I can't tell you how many bites I've missed because I was too busy checking for ticks or something to notice the rod tip wiggling.
>>
>>955762
rated 3/4-3oz. Ive definitely thrown 3's with no issue. I cast across a channel into a rip on the other side (i'd be pure BS'ing if I gave a distance cuz I have no clue) but I can usually throw further than anyone else that's there.

You could toss larger than it's rated I'm sure I've done 4oz, like you say, a little gentler. Don't know if I'd go to 5oz with it. You'll get better distance when the rod is rated for the lure weight.
I think the 6500 has 40 or 50 braid on it. I also use a battle II 5000 on it and that has 20 or 30 #. I'll update once I find my notebook.
>>
>>955809
>[Update
thanks, think i ight get the 9 footer with a 5500 or 6500 spinfisher ( not sure which) and some 40 or 50 lb braid,
i think id rather 40 if i can find it in green power pro
>>
File: IMG_1216.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1216.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>955809
>across a channel into a rip
couldn't find a pic across so here's an awesome lure
>>
>>955811
go with the 5500 unless you NEED the larger reel. It gets heavy
>>
>>955813
if i can find 40 lb braid in green il go with th 5500

any sugeestions on lures?
>>
>>955812
also do you have a surf belt? ive been thinking of getting one so i done have to carry as uch
>>
File: IMG_0677.jpg (59KB, 580x580px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0677.jpg
59KB, 580x580px
>>955812
Lel I do that too.
>I think I have a pic that helps explain this post, let me find it
>search "Photos" for 5min, can't find it
>welp, I'm here anyway so might as well post something
>cutegrillwithfish.jpg

>>955814
40lb in Moss Green? PowerPro normally has all the weights in all of the different colors. And the the SuperSlick has slightly different colors, there is this seafoam green color I have in 40lb and they make a cool sky blue color as well.

Always wanted to try the white PowerPro but I have a feeling it wouldn't stay white for very long unless you bleach it after each use.
>>
>>955842
yeah, it doesnt look like i can find it in a 500 yard spool though
so il just get a 300 lb spool
Unless youd like youd like to by a spool for me
>>
>>955850
Where are you tryin to buy it from?

I still need to do my taxes and see if I'm gettin any money back. Or start selling drugs for some extra income.
>>
>>955865
cabellas, i dont really need 500 yards i need 300 but if i were to do it id throw the rest on a lighter rod to have as my light saltwater rod
>>
>>955865
>>955867
i actually think i might go down to 30 lb braid, as im not constantly horsing in monsters an the thinner diameter will help with distance
>>
>>955881
30lb is still really damn strong. Even 20lb braid will bend the hooks on lots of bass lures if they get snagged and will bull fish out of some heavy weeds.
>>
>>955900
Well I'll be using it for lures up to 4 ounces and fish easily over 15 lbs

If they had a 35 I would go with that
I may go with 40 because it will fill the reel better then 30
>>
>>955814
>sugeestions on lures?
What are you targeting and where are you located?
>>955831
>surf belt?
nope. I usually bring either backpack with a few planos or a Home Depot 5-gal bucket with a tool top. I'll take a pic of that tomorrow. It in the basement under a few boxes and I'm feeling lazy atm. [pic related but not exact]
>>
>>955981
Connecticut
Stripers blues
Anything else
>>
someone explain to me how i belly hooked a bass with a jerkbait
>>
File: bucket_lid.jpg (34KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
bucket_lid.jpg
34KB, 1000x1000px
>>955981
>[pic related but not exact]
and I'm an idiot...
>>
File: IMG_0819.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0819.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>955997
Schoolies should be hitting you soon. Blues not until May I'm guessing.
Blues will hit damn near anything. The lure I posted earier, Ballistic Missile is a killer for blues. Kastmasters are great.

For schoolie stripper try swim shads or [pic related]. I'll post some other pics of good striper lures tomorrow if I can dig them up.
>>
>>956026
I think they're already starting to stack up
Just trying to decide if I drop $500 on new fishing gear or go another year with what I have currently
>>
>>955910
Unless you are targeting 80lb fish than 30lb line is fine.
>>
>>956049
Except for the fact that I'll be hauling them through weeds , and up over rocks etc
>>
>>956051
Use a leader.

Also the drag on your reel probably maxes out at around 18lb so unless you are grabbing the line you are not putting out more than 18lb before it slips.
>>
>>956054
30 actually
>>
File: migration-4-15-16.jpg (115KB, 550x1009px) Image search: [Google]
migration-4-15-16.jpg
115KB, 550x1009px
>>956031
last years April 15th migration. I can't find any from earlier.
>>
>>956055
Well fancy that 30lb test is still fine.
It should also be mono as the sand in the surf will chew up the line and mono has better resistance.

Just as a note a typical set up for shark is 10' of 150-200lb steal leader with 75-100 yards of 60lb mono and 200 yards of 25-30lb mono.
>>
>>956057
Yeah I've seen those
Trying to do more saltwater fishing this year
I've got to go buy new line for my current rod and try to decide if I'm going to get a new set uo
>>
are you supposed to trim skirts on chatterbaits
>>
>>956059
How far are you from the shore? tides4fishing is a good site for tide, solunar, water temp, wave height, temp, & wind.
>>
>>956067
45 min
35 if I'm hauling ass
An hour 15 to my favorite spot to soak baits

I'm going to try to get down more frequently on the weekends atleast
>>
>>956064
I've had jigs with oversized skirts but as far as Z-Man Chatterbaits I've never had a problem with the length.
>>
>>956064
Nah I think that's really only for jigs
>>
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TI5Rlt4gy0Q

How do y'all feel about this? Sorry for the mobile link.
>>
>>956136
If they make it really affordable, like $20 or less, I could see it catching on with really casual fishermen. Personally, I generally enjoy tying knots and I think its a fulfilling part of the fishing experience. This could be useful to keep in the tacklebox if you bring beginner fishermen or kids with you and don't want to be tying their lures on every so often. I don't think the strength gimmick will be the major seller for anybody.
>>
>>956151
The weld is laughably retarded huge.

Are you high? Only a retard would pay for that at 29 dollars or their insane prices right now.

They talk about fluorocarbon being hard to tie and then show it with a monster glue ball on it. It's a joke. The whole point is its not as visible.
>>
File: uDc4V3X.jpg (38KB, 622x478px) Image search: [Google]
uDc4V3X.jpg
38KB, 622x478px
help me
i've been fishing for like 6 months now and i almost never catch any fish, by sheer amount of times tried you'd think id catch stuff at least every 4 or 5 times out
the only things i can really think of are
>braided line is scaring away fish
>all of my fishing spots are shit
>>
>>956214
Probably the latter.
Or your methods and lures are wrong for the fish present in your waters. Both species and size-wise. If all you have in your pond of choice is 10cm roach then fishing with a 20cm wobbler won't do you much good.
Tell us where you are fishing and for what including the methods. Else it is damn hard to give you any pointers...
>>
>>956214

I've caught less fish since i went to braid.....is this merely coincidence?

i tried a fluoro leader once and all it did was reduce my casting distance as the knot went through the guides so i went back to straight braid.

is the spook real?
>>
>>956218
i mostly just go to random places on the small rivers nearby
90% of the time im throwing spinnerbaits or using worms
>>
File: hooks.png (612KB, 1897x905px) Image search: [Google]
hooks.png
612KB, 1897x905px
Hooks 25 cents a piece, anybody tried these?

I usually fish eagle claw 'wide gap worm' L092G-4/0 but my walmart is slow to restock.
>>
>>956136
I use clinch knots specifically because I can pull them out with my fingers almost instantly and retie them very quickly. I never have a problem with them pulling out on their own. Melting the line would cause all manner of problems with my fishing an waste a shit load of line over time.
>>
File: 0221171700.jpg (268KB, 1152x2048px) Image search: [Google]
0221171700.jpg
268KB, 1152x2048px
I went bream fishing and caught my firsy legal bass on my ultralight with a cricket.

>dem boat feels
>>
>>956151
I just don't think that I could trust it, and knots really aren't that hard to tie. I agree with you about tying knots being part of the experience.

But like you said if it got cheap I could see it catching on with older folks and children.

>>956223
>all it did was reduce my casting distance as the knot went through the guides so i went back to straight braid.
FG knot
>>
>>955743
Way under budget but check out the 10' daiwa beefstick. You can get it for around $30 on Amazon. I bought one not too long ago and I use it mainly for jigs. Throws 3oz diamond jigs like a rocket launcher.
>>
File: 213213.jpg (55KB, 634x315px) Image search: [Google]
213213.jpg
55KB, 634x315px
>>956136
>showing a clinch knot pulling out
>it only had THREE turns on it

I suppose any knot will pull out if you make them incorrectly.
>>
Hmmmm now what to respool my memecaster with this time.
>>
>Return home in Connecticut from college in New York to visit family
>CT license expired, want to go fishing with little brother
>Go to buy 1 or 3-day license
>They don't exist
Why is Connecticut such an awful state?
>>
>>956283
Harvest some dogbane, make cordage with it, and use that as fishing line.
>>
File: IMG_1346.jpg (983KB, 3264x1807px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1346.jpg
983KB, 3264x1807px
>>956283
I kept looking at that Invisi-Braid awhile back because it looked like a cool idea but now there's no way I would spend the money because it's SpiderWire.

One thing I do like is the SpiderWire Flouro-Braid or whatever it is. It still frays because SpiderWire but they had a 300yd spool of 10lb in the clearance bin at Bass Pro for like $15 and I grabbed it. Put it on that Okuma reel and it's not as heavy and doesn't sink like actual flouro but it feels closer to mono and makes stuff swim near mono depths or a little deeper instead of regular braid.

>>956234
They can't be much worse than Eagle Claws. I can tell from the pic that the wire is fairly thin tho.

>>956223
>>956214
Braid doesn't make a difference at all for bass and most panfish, especially if you aren't fishing super, super clear water.

For anon not getting any fish- start going for panfish and find those good spots and eventually you will find where the bass are chilling. Depending where you are, you should have some hungry pre-spawn bass hanging around soon.

>>956057
>tfw strippers
Where is Mainebub?
>>
>>956284
Why is New England in general such a commie redtape hellhole? It was the birthplace of liberty for fuck's sake.

But has anyone ever actually been license checked? I think it's just a meme to extort money out of naive out-of-staters.
>>
>>956297
>Extort
Not really, stocking programs have to be paid for somehow. It sucks, because I don't even fish stocked waters. I've never once been checked, but I buy licenses because it's the right thing to do. When you force me to buy a fishing license for a whole year that I will maybe use for a week, THAT'S extortion.
>>
>>956294
I finished off the power pro.

I'm digging the invisi braid it's nice. Got it out of the bargin bin a Cabelas so it was cheap.

I'm still not sure how you have so many problems spiderwire, are you untying your knots or something?

Also strippers.
>>
>>956284
where are you at?
also marine or freshwater?
>>
>>956302
also have you ever fished a public river or pond?
if so chances are high youve fished stocked water
>>
>>956302
It could also be one of the main ways your states conservation service gets money, so it helps out with more than just stocking.

>>956282
Kek yeah and every other sentence is "knots r hard!". I have more of a problem with their marketing than the actual product. Thats one of the reasons flouro has the myth of having really bad knot strength. People don't tie knots rights or don't lubricate it.
>>
Is there a chinese knockoff of the chuck woolery moto lures?
>>
>>956319
not hi but in the state of connecticut ( where he's purchasing the license"
the money from licenses goes to a general fund that covers all sorts of stupid shit, and the hatcherys get the left over
we seriously need to change this and put al license sales to the hatcherys here
>>
>>956294
>Where is Mainebub?
I was wondering the same thing. He hasn't even pulled a drop-by lately.
>>
>>956294
>>956325
he didnt respond when i tried to contact him through his yotube
>>
>>956317
I have fished stocked waters in the past, but the vast majority of my fishing is on unstocked water.
>>956321
Source? I totally believe it though, the financials of this stage are a fucking mess.
>>
>>956327
>source
i am the source, i work for the state of connecticut
>>
>>956321
>the money from licenses goes to a general fund that covers all sorts of stupid shit

As in stuff not related to wildlife management? That's pretty dumb.
>>
>>956346
im not 100% on that, i think the general fund can litterally go twords anything,
though a few years back the environment branch of the program merged with the energy branch of the program in hopes that environment will end up with more money but the energy branch takes even more of our moneys
>>
>>956321
>>956347
>>956347
That's true but with an important caveat. According to William Hyatt Bureau Chief, DEP, Bureau of Natural Resources in Connecticut:
>"Many people have also expressed concern that revenues from the sale of fishing and hunting license fees are going to the General Fund. While this is the case, it’s important that you know that both state and federal law requires that any monies collected from the sale of fishing or hunting licenses, tags, stamps or permits come back to the agency specifically for the administration of fish and wildlife programs.

Every dollar spent on fishing licensing gets put into fish & wildlife.
>>
>>956356
it is supposed to , but basically what that statment says is it comes back to the general department where it should ,
meaning it ends up in the DEEP
that can go to a thosand different places that arent necessarily related

also
>believing what someone says
significant amount of the states fundings etc ends up in places it shouldnt go to because people fuck with it when they shouldnt
trust me
>>
File: IMG_4493.png (2MB, 1242x2208px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4493.png
2MB, 1242x2208px
First warm day of the year and everyone at college is in t-shirts and shorts.

Feels good, only a few more weeks and the lakes will be fishable again
>>
>>956347
>the environment branch of the program merged with the energy branch of the program in hopes that environment will end up with more money but the energy branch takes even more of our moneys

Who would've thought...
>>
>>956369
they apparently thought it was a decent idea but it fukt us in the long run
>>
>>956272
>FG knot

This so much. It's like it's not even there.
>>
>>956319
>lubricated knot

Where the fuck is skid anyways.
>>
File: 1485397605197.jpg (47KB, 510x346px) Image search: [Google]
1485397605197.jpg
47KB, 510x346px
>>956294
how do i fish for panfish instead of bass? just keep doin the same thing?

desu i really want cats
>>
>>956424
I'm upset that I understand why you're asking where skid is. This place has ruined me.

>>956437
Same way but smaller pretty much. The easiest thing to do is to use a bobber and worms.
>>
File: IMG_2606.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2606.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>956310
I have like a dozen rods and 4 or 5 have StealthBraid, one with FlouroBraid, and the rest are PowetPro. It's all braid so from time to time the first couple yards get chewed up from fishing and transport or whatever so I need to cut some off. The SpiderWire rods I see noticeable fraying after a handful of trips while the same shit happens to the PowerPro rods once every 6mos.

>tfw had to go see dat qt latina again

>>956325
He namefagged once a couple weeks ago in some random thread.

>>956437
Smaller baits. Channel cats, just gotta find the spot. I'm a fan of the sticky dip bait that comes in jars. You need special rigs for the dip bait but they sell em almost everywhere. Otherwise you can always just cast some nightcawlerd and see what is actually in the lake. The last few channel cats I have gotten were on nightcrawlers on the bottom.
>>
>>956437
Bass are panfish though.
>>
File: IMG_1288.jpg (4MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1288.jpg
4MB, 3264x2448px
>>956502
That's a pretty big pan then
>>
Thinking of getting this reel for bassin.

Thoughts?
>>
>>956502
Bass are sunfish*
>>
>>956527
just get a President or a Sahara
>>
>>956527
The 6000?

I hope not.

Shimano Symetre is supposed to be another nice one in the same price range.
>>
>>956527
I have a 5k that gets salt use and I realy like it. The spinfisher is better for a few more $$ though. Battle II combo was 119
spinfisher reel only was 129
>>
>>956547
>realy
really
>>
>>956547
>>956548
Penn is trash and barely standing on its "muh American classic" brand name.

It's basically the Remington of the fishing reel companies putting out one dated pile of trash after another.

>muh saltwater

There are better brands.
>>
>>956549
>basically the Remington of the fishing reel companies
so a quality product at a decent price that will last?
Sure I'd love a Van Stahl but I'm not dropping 450 on 1 reel.

If my Penns every break or fuck up I'll change my opinion. So far they haven't and I treat them pretty much like shit
>>
>>956552
New low priced Remington's are pretty trash
>>
>>956473
>I have like a dozen rods and 4 or 5 have StealthBraid, one with FlouroBraid, and the rest are PowetPro. It's all braid so from time to time the first couple yards get chewed up from fishing and transport or whatever so I need to cut some off. The SpiderWire rods I see noticeable fraying after a handful of trips while the same shit happens to the PowerPro rods once every 6mos.

See this has never been a problem for me, but then again I have never gone 6 months with the same few yards of line.
>>
>>956553
Penn reels are not trash though. They do what the are ment to do and for a nice price.

There are a lot of realy nice high end reels that I would like to have, but when you are trying to have 4 or more lines in the water to bring in food not trophies Penn works.
>>
File: IMG_2609.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2609.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>956566
Pic related shows it. I think a lot of it comes from transport and the rest just casting. Happens on the line between the reel and end of line just from rubbing on shit in the car and other rods or whatever but it's always worse on the SpiderWire. That being said, StealthBraid does seem smoother and is more flexible right out of the box but 20lb PowerPro is so nice once you break it in a little bit.
>>
>It's 70 fucking degrees out
>Go out to usual fishing spots, all lakes
>Lakes completely clear of ice other than boat launches and other access points, which still have thin layer of ice
WHY DO YOU TAUNT ME SO, NATURE?
>>
>>956569
Yeah I wouldn't call Penn reels trash lol. Everybody likes them.
>>
>>956570
You might try killing up your eyes a bit. Even ceramic ones can use a good buffing from time to time.
>>
>>956591
Cleaning*
>>
>>956552
Yepm shows how much you know. Enjoy your garbage
>>
>>956591
>>956592
I don't want to kill my eyes. Well, maybe. What kind of seeing eye doge will I get?

And I don't think it's the guides. I think a part is how I lean the rods on the rough nylon (canvas feeling almost) tackle bag or hanging baits near the line and they rub a little on the line but either way PowerPro doesn't do it.
>>
>>956375

is there anything smoother than the FG knot? i can feel that shit hanging up when it comes through the guides and it's not exactly smooth coming out of the level wind guide either.

tying fluoro leader to braid btw.
>>
>>956599
Why the fuck are you tying over a 6 foot leader so that it sucks the knot up into a level wind?

The only time you should be reeling in knots and swivels is on massive saltwater rods.
>>
File: cuse.jpg (7KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
cuse.jpg
7KB, 275x183px
>>956367
>Cuse

You get to the Adirondacks often? I am in Albany, lived in cuse for 4 years.
>>
>>956599
Are you sure you're tying it right? The FG knot is smooth as hell when you're casting, and it shouldn't go through many guides when you're reeling it in.
>>
>>956608
How is it up there? From everything I hear and see, it seems like a nice place aside from the fact that it's still in New York and that state is completely fucked because of everybody in and around NYC.

Kinda like when I lived in IL but worse. If you wanted to grow soy and corn, most of the state would be a decent place to live. But the whole state is still run by the Chicago liberal machine and makes the whole place shitty for anybody. Enjoy paying all of those taxes when you sell your soy because Da'Quan is too lazy to get a job and pay for himself and his 9 kids from 7 baby mamas.
>>
File: IMG_4496.jpg (136KB, 615x435px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4496.jpg
136KB, 615x435px
>>956608
Yeah I go to Raquette lake and Long lake all the time. I remember when I was little the fishing up there was shit from all the acid rain thanks to the coal fags to the west but the past few years it's really bounced back
>>
>>956570
>>956566
>>956473
This is why you use a LEADER. It needs to be at least as long as twice the length of the pole. Mono preferred.
>>
>>956612
>>956599
Reeling the FG knot in is the only time you feel it. It is also less than uni-uni in that respect. My leaders are fairly long and the knot ends up on the reel itself.

If you are not tying the knot correctly or you are using the second style of FG knot, then it will be much thicker on the back side. The normal FG knot uses a few half hitch knots to finish it. The second style uses all manner of clunky shit.
>>
>>956599
this is my go to
https://youtu.be/uByQHnkHpPI
>>
Pic related is on the Flash Sale. They only have it in the 1000 size but the reviews look good. It's always nice reading reviews on brands and prices like this because a lot of the people using em have a lot of other nice stuff. Other brands and reel, you get a lot of "All my other $40 reels are shit compared to this $100 reel. I have owned it a week, casted it a dozen times, so 5 stars!"

>>956623
Or just use PowerPro
>>
File: IMG_2612.png (271KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2612.png
271KB, 640x1136px
>>956632
Oops
>>
File: DSCN8022a.jpg (4MB, 3064x5624px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN8022a.jpg
4MB, 3064x5624px
Here are several FG Knots, all with glaring mistakes. Each starts incorrectly at the mono side, making them bulkier. Each has a section or several where the pattern was reversed and the mono bulged out as a result.

>15lbs braided with 8lbs mono

The 5th image shows an FG knot with terrible tag ends sticking out and 2 rather large sections where the pattern reversed and the mono bulged. Knots 6 & 7 use 15lbs mono and 50lbs braided respectively.

When you make the FG Knot, it should roll back and forth in respect to the tag end you are weaving back and forth. If it does not do that the mono will take precedence and bulge out as you see here. A goof FG Knot will be closer to knot pic #4, minus the two mistakes. You can always back up a little if you see something wrong.

>>956632
I use PowerPro 100% Spectra with mono leader.

>>956625
I just did 6 of those. Very easy to make. Every one of them pulled out easily. The mono slipped out like nothing was holding it. It still had the memory of the crooks and bends though so something was trying to hold it at least.

I think the reason it pulls out so easily is the fact that the mono/fluro isn't being kinked up enough. The FG knot kinks up both lines a great bit.
>>
>>956677
>Each, of the 1st 4, starts incorrectly at the mono side

fixed, too tired to think
>>
File: carplure.jpg (132KB, 584x784px) Image search: [Google]
carplure.jpg
132KB, 584x784px
Assuming Deni anon still lurks, are the Carp there an absolute plague where you at as well? Catching a Carp on a lure (not by foul hooking) is pretty rare, catching a Carp on a big ass lure that used to only ever catch big mouth YellowBelly, Murray Cod and Silver Perch is even rarer until recently.

I for one welcome our ASIO Carp AIDS overlords.
>>
>>956677
You're doing something wrong. I've been using that knot for the past year and a half and it's never gave me an issue
>>
>>956695
It simply doesn't work the way it was shown in the video. It'll hold for a few pounds then start to slip and that's it. Remember I'm pulling them to break them completely. The knot fails every time and the line never breaks.
>>
>>956704
kek, guess you just gotta get gud then. I just got my spool of 20lb braid and 12lb mono out to see what would break first and the mono snapped right at the beginning of the knot. zero slipping

>make an over hand knot with the mono
>put loop of that knot on right hands ring finger
>put the braid through the hole
>hold mono main line, mono tag end and braid to the right
>lap the braid back over the mono and begin wraping all three lines with the braid 10-15 times
>put the end of the braid back through the loop
>wet the line and pull it until it makes a little bullet that is tapered on each side
>>
File: IMG_4497.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4497.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>956721
Whoops, ment put the loop of the over hand knot on the left hands ring finger.

Just tied it again and once again zero slipping. I put a nice cut in the fold of my pinkie fingers skin pulling on it to get it to slip, it didn't
>>
>>956730
I hate those cuts.

On a side note I remembered I had 2 beers left over from fishing yesterday in my XJ so yeah beer
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>956677
I think mines been turning out all right for being like the 4th time I've tied it
>>
>>956283
Powerpro or Suffix
Never spiderwire - the dye is terrible as fuck
>>
>>956527
I love my 4k for bassin
Kills Peacock and works well for saltwater
Best 110 I've ever spent
>>
>>956748
>>956730
>>956721
I think the spectra is too slippery.
>>
File: Fair_Oaks_Bridge_Below.jpg (684KB, 1920x1278px) Image search: [Google]
Fair_Oaks_Bridge_Below.jpg
684KB, 1920x1278px
>>956549
i'm pretty happy with my torque 40.
caught a lot of tuna with it. i don't think you really know what you are talking about.
>>
how should i bring fish home? just throw them in a cooler full of ice? i don't know how to clean a fish so i'd be giving them to someone who does
>>
>>956785
You tell yourself that.

Old pen reels are good and built well. New ones are garbage. A few years ago they tried to enter freshwater and it was terrible too.

Their high end is good but once you spend 300 dollars or more your money is better off with shimano, daiwa, avet, etc etc etc
>>
>>956787
Dude. Just watch a YouTube video. Before you toss them in the cooker take scizzors and cut their gills in half to bleed them out. Look up bleeding out a fish. There are multiple ways to do it.

Clean your own fish man.
>>
>>956816
is this better than the knife in the brain method? also i googled it and they said i need two coolers, im definately not taking two coolers with me fishing
>>
File: IMG_5764.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5764.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>956817
When I kill fish, I put the knife in under one gill flap, push the point out through the other gill opening, and then cut through the throat of the fish. There is a big artery there and they bleed out instantly.
>>
>>956817
>>956826
Just cut the gills and bleed them in the water on a stringer . After they are bled cooler them
>>
>>956817
So take one cooler but store your lunch in an insulated bag in the cooler.
>>
I did the mystery tackle box for about 8 months (ended it in January) and enjoyed it for the most part

Anyone else do it? I did about 3 bass boxes, a panfish box, and some salt water ones

Anybody else do it? What did you get and were you happy with it?
>>
>>956877
I've been subscribed for the past two years. I changed to the pro box this year. I think it's neat. I get discounted baits that are usually not something I would buy in a store which allows me to broaden my tackle variety. Plus I like the baits from smaller companies that I'd never be able to get at a store
>>
File: 1487943860295.jpg (260KB, 700x1607px) Image search: [Google]
1487943860295.jpg
260KB, 700x1607px
>>
>>956877
I've been doing LTB and MTB for 9 months now I think and I've been happy with them. Like reddington anon said they send you stuff you wouldn't normally buy, and it's mostly good quality stuff. Especially for the hard baits. With the pro boxes you usually get ~$50 worth of stuff.
>>
Kinda off a broad question but anyone have recommendations for some freshwater hardbaits/topwater baits? I'm a beginner and have been mostly fishing senkos in every way you could imagine but it's getting kind of boring even though it's producing hits.
>>
>>956967
You can't really go wrong with Strike King. They're pretty inexpensive and they work well. A liples sredeyed shad in a craw color, a square bill in a shad or chartreuse color, and a spinnerbait are all good things to have. For jerk baits I like Baker and Rapala. Lucky Craft is also really good, but they're expensive.

As for top water, you can't go wrong with a frog. Booyah pad crashers are good. For open water I prefer chuggin spooks, but they weigh and oz so make sure your rod can handle it.

Honorable mentions are chatter baits and buzz baits but they aren't required.
>>
>>956877
I did it for 3 months. The bass box. Got the "Pro" for two of them. There was some cool shit and it is def worth the money when you are paying $12 for a box and you get a nice Yo-Zuri and everything else is basically free at that point.

Only problem is the meme baits they send. I don't have room in my tackle bag for more shit I won't use. But I would recommend LTB or MTB for anybody trying to build their collection.
>>
alright somone help me decide
should i go fish a little brook for creek chubs, shiners etc with my ultra ultra light ( small chance of little bass and other panfish)

or should i risk it and go try to walk through a bunch of mud to fish my pickerel pond
>>
File: kook.jpg (582KB, 1600x1280px) Image search: [Google]
kook.jpg
582KB, 1600x1280px
>>956807
like i said you dont know what youre talking about.
there no need to discuss it further.

I own shimanos diawas penns maxels progears newells and accurates. sold all my avets because avet pinions blow out and they lack anti dogs..you ever button the drag on your avet? I doubt it...
you're just blabbering bullshit on a gay ass crochet forum.
>>
Any of you guys ever fish together?
>>
File: DSCN8053a.jpg (308KB, 1024x1534px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN8053a.jpg
308KB, 1024x1534px
>go baitfishing for shiners to use as catfish cut bait
>most of the hooks are way too big
>shiners fucking love everything flashy and large
>can't use anything with a sizeable hook
>all the tiny stuff can't be cast well
>wind out the wazoo

At least I caught enough shiners to go catfishing. They are "aging" now and will be ready for this evening. I tied on a micro plug I made and there must have been 25 shiners nailing it at once. It was crazy. Unfortunately, I need to add a second hook to the lures' stomachs for the baitfish to hit. The shiners became pretty lure shy after I pulled a few out.
>>
>>956990
someone pls help e decide
>>
File: DSCN8042a.jpg (583KB, 1024x1442px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN8042a.jpg
583KB, 1024x1442px
>>956990
>>957007
>76F today
>pressure is at its lowest its every been this year
>fish are everywhere
>its February

Winter is so crazy this year. Go for the panfish. You could use some of them for the pickerel too.
>>
>>957010
the little creek?
sounds good
>>
>>956026
>schoolies
>soon
More like now, just caught about 250 stripers earlier this month, had a short session a few days ago and caught around 60.
>>
File: DSCN8060a.jpg (376KB, 2046x768px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN8060a.jpg
376KB, 2046x768px
A low awaited shipment of foam sheets came into day. I can't wait to start making some lures and flies with it. It is a bit odd how the count is for colors 3, 4, 5, and 6.

>>957012
Yes.
>>
>>957016
Where at
>>
>>957024
Deep holes in estuaries, find your own.
>>
>>957028
What fucking state you monkey
You could be in New Jersey or Maine
>>
>>957016
like fish in a barrel when they're running. Shame the bigguns get so picky.

>>957061
>New Jersey or Maine
definitely south of Rhode Island. Water temp in Mass was 39F a few days ago so they're not here. Another month - 6 weeks.

Holdovers are another story. It's 60 today, should get my ass to an estuary.
>>
>>957076
how do you deal with small schoolies inhaling plugs?
i had some issues with that last year, schoolies inhaling 6-7 inch plugs and getting the hooks up in their gills
>>
I finally switched to braid. Can I keep using my standard clinch knot for tying the line to tackle, or is there a better way with braid?
>>
>>957083
Polomar all day
>>
>>957079
>inhaling plugs
damn, I've seen a few gut hooked but I've never had an issue. I'm probably setting hook quicker. The ones that are likely to inhale it like that are the 24-28" range that aren't legal to keep. I think people here intentionally try to gut hook those and keep them. Not sure what Mr Ranger would say if he showed up and I'm not risking EP walking off with $500 minimum in rods and tackle.

Long hemostats maybe?
Also I crimp barbs if I think it's just going to be schoolie action.
>>
>>957083
palomar. so easy, braid loves it. I also tie a knot on the tag, like on an arbor knot, as extra precaution.
>>
>>957083
I use the trilene knot.
>>
What's your favorite knot to tie? I like the knotless knot. Fun to wind and looks super sexy.
>>
File: image.jpg (305KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
305KB, 720x1280px
I'm at discount tire waiting for my friend to come pick me up while my tires get fixed. May or may not be getting some funny looks.
>>
>>957105
All you need is a Palomar jeezy.
>>957083
>>
File: kaChuck.jpg (25KB, 520x390px) Image search: [Google]
kaChuck.jpg
25KB, 520x390px
>>957018
why do you have to wait for craft foam bro?

>>957010
love all dat homemade. fuckin cool man.

>>957061
why do you assume its the east coast?
>>
Is a 5/0 circle hook too big for catfish that are only a few pounds?
>>
>>957166
They could be caught on it, but if that is the size you're targeting then go down to 1/0 maybe.
>>
>>957166
Cats have big mouths. On the other hand, it isn's just a thin flap of skin like bass so a small hook can normally get a good grip.

>>957131
Completely normal.
>>
>>957162
Because we were specifically talking about the Northeas
>>
File: DSCN8064a.jpg (1MB, 4092x1536px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN8064a.jpg
1MB, 4092x1536px
>>957162
>why do you have to wait for craft foam bro?

Because no place sell it here and I ordered it from the cheapest place online I could find ($10). It only took about 2 weeks to arrive. I got some cheap ($1 per 2 meters) feather boa for the marabou on them.

I'm loving this stuff. 1st frog and 1st grasshopper. I'm still waiting on epoxy to cure on the frog before I shape it a bit.

>love all dat homemade. fuckin cool man.

Thanks.
>>
>>957175
stripers are native to the east coast stocking to the pacific, I believe into SF Bay started as early as 1879. They've also been stocked into fresh waters. I believe, but don't quote me, population in the pacific in now in the millions.
>>
File: rodnreeltruth.jpg (147KB, 348x1024px) Image search: [Google]
rodnreeltruth.jpg
147KB, 348x1024px
>>956927
>>
Is it possible to get a fly fishing rod that is reasonably sized for backpacking? I'm just wondering because I'm curious about learning how to fly fish but I pretty much only fish in back country waters when I go hiking/camping for 3-5 days

Anything that can collapse, break down or otherwise can be shorter than a meter or so would be ideal but I have no idea what I'm doing
>>
File: 3db0e2a18e52.jpg (17KB, 500x301px) Image search: [Google]
3db0e2a18e52.jpg
17KB, 500x301px
>>957217
look for 4 piece fly rods.
there are also 8 foot 4 piece rods
>>
>>957217
What >>957220 said, but man if you want a quality rod don't have a heart attack when you see the price tag.
>>
>>957221

I don't think I'd take a quality rod with me, if my spin fishing rod is any foreshadowing it is going to go through a lot of abuse getting caught on branches and fallen logs

>>957220

Thank you, this will help me find what I want

I'm looking at https://www.amazon.ca/Okuma-SLV-Graphite-4-Piece-Fly/dp/B001V7RQJO right now, it seems to be cheap and well regarded in reviews
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (44KB, 677x526px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600.jpg
44KB, 677x526px
>>957217
or maybe a spin/fly combo?
>>
>>957211
tru
>>
>>957211
Quantum and Okuma are garbage.
>>
>>957230
But not as garbage as the brands before them.
>>
File: image.jpg (422KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
422KB, 720x1280px
>>957168
Kek
>>
File: 20Club.png (1MB, 994x541px) Image search: [Google]
20Club.png
1MB, 994x541px
Anonymously bragging about this
I just wish I would've GoPro'ed the event, like I normally do.

Early in the morning, overcast sky, first cast, third or fourth twitch on an Xrap Ghost

PB and I don't see myself beating it for a while
>>
File: 1487788606909.jpg (446KB, 843x1034px) Image search: [Google]
1487788606909.jpg
446KB, 843x1034px
>>957211
>lack of DIY
>>
>>957241
Is that a Redfin? If so, fucking noice.
>>
>>957234
Rapala x raps and shadow raps are great. Kill yourself.

Abu Garcia is better than gayuma or quantumcucks
>>
>>957245
Nah, it's the South Florida Special - Peacock Bass
>>
>>957243
Not everyone has autism.

>>957246
Read the filename fuckstick, it's not about Lures.
>>
File: 1462411583675.jpg (218KB, 684x591px) Image search: [Google]
1462411583675.jpg
218KB, 684x591px
>>957241
>mfw pepsi will never catch a real peacock like that
>>
File: 15_Feb._14_17.43.jpg (202KB, 1062x670px) Image search: [Google]
15_Feb._14_17.43.jpg
202KB, 1062x670px
>>957241
That's a nice bowfin you got there. Really colorful.

>>957247
Nah brah that's a bowfin

>>957248
Abu rods and and reels are better still
>>
File: 1487452456404.jpg (56KB, 358x429px) Image search: [Google]
1487452456404.jpg
56KB, 358x429px
>>957248
>>>/diy/ = autism
>>
File: redfin.jpg (167KB, 890x454px) Image search: [Google]
redfin.jpg
167KB, 890x454px
>>957247
Looks almost Identical to what we call Redfin in 'straya, forget what Europe and murricans call them though. Hard to see as it was overcast but they have the same black banding down the sides.
>>
>>957252
Literally who outside of experts builds their own rods?
>>
>>957254
3-4 people in these threads. Lurk more.
>>
>>957251
It's really a peacock...
C. Ocellaris
>>
>>957251
Would rather a Quantum smoke memecaster over any Abu one any day.
>>
>>957258
You're on drugs big you honestly believe that.
>>
>>957256
It's a joke man. Bowfin is the fishing meme here.
>>
>>957259
Please, enlighten us as to why Quantum are shit then.
>>
>>957272
They have a less diverse lineup of reels and rods. They don't have good high speed bait casters. They have gimmick bullshit they put on their reels because they overhaul their lineup every other year instead of making their flagship reels better to just attempt to compete with shimano, abu, daiwa, 13, etc etc
>>
>>957261
I guess I need to lurk moar
>>
>>957276
If it ain't broke don't fix it.
>>
File: r u srs.webm (268KB, 570x322px) Image search: [Google]
r u srs.webm
268KB, 570x322px
>>957276
>wanting planned obsolescence
>>
File: 5.jpg (102KB, 1010x662px) Image search: [Google]
5.jpg
102KB, 1010x662px
>>957253
yellow perch
>>
File: IMG_0306.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0306.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>957249
Ikr. First problem is I need to fish in lakes that actually have butterfly bowfin.

My best one I never got a pic of. I landed it, took the hook out, was lipping it while I went for the camera, and it shook loose out of my hand and went right into the water before I could snap a pic. It was probably 17"-18", the pair or nice adults was swimming around with like 500 fry in the shallows and I got a reaction strike on a little 1/8oz underspin. That thing was a good fight, but peacocks always fight bretty gud.

I really do need to get to somewhere with nice peacocks. Lately I just haven't had a ton of time (or motivation) and end up at my dink lake down the street. That place has been better the past month or two with the cooler water and 16"+ LMB biting more often.

>>957241
X-Raps a GOAT. Too bad that one doesn't have more of a gut or it would be real fatty.

Wut time and where? I always hear online that peacocks don't bite like largemouth at sunrise and sunset but I seem to get them a little before the dusk bass start going.

>>957211
>guaranteed repiles

>>957230
Yeah but you gotta buy the right stuff from either brand. I still really like that Okuma Stratus V that Dick's always had on sale for $30-$40. Smoother than any of the cheaper Abus or Shimanos. But I guess time will tell on that one.
>>
File: IMG_0730.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0730.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>957253
Yee that's closer to a perch for sure. Peacock Bass are kinda like largemouth but from South America originally and we get em down here in South Florida. They fight real good tho and good size is like 15"-20" and maybe 2lb-5lb. I just need to find a good spot where I can actually catch them.
>>
>>957258
Nah Abu For Life™

>>957276
>They don't have good high speed bait casters
This is nonsense
>>
File: IMG_2224.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2224.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
>>957276
I mentioned that as well either earlier in the thread or in the last one. Abu and Shimano and the other good companies seem to stick with the proven designs and just update small things every couple years to keep them competitive. Okuma and Quantum like to start with a blank slate every 5 years and it can be hit or miss. Some of the shit is really nice while others are flops. They need to build off the proven ones. The Quantum Smoke reels are still supposed to be really nice tho.

And I find it funny how you throw in "13 Fishing" with the Shimano, Abu, and Daiwa. They make some nice looking shit but need more time on the market.
>>
>>957061
CT.
>>
>>957331
water is sstill too cold in ct
>>
>>957314
As in what they call them in NA or yurop?

>>957318
I was going to put Ugly Stik in top tier just to trigger you but decided to make it mostly right, gotta drop some truth bombs when trolling.

>>957320
Like the Silver Perch here, Redfin Perch are just pure muscle, every time you wind one in and see their size you would swear they were 3 times bigger for their fighting ability, We have Bass here but nowhere near I live, I guess they have the same qualities?

>>957323
Ironically enough I have an Abu For Life wallet I won in a fishing comp years ago, I fucking love their rods, the $40 Muscle Tip 2's are so OP it balks belief, just don't like their reels so much.
>>
>>957334
in usa theyre yellow perch
in yrop theyre just perch
>>
File: callop7.jpg (123KB, 992x733px) Image search: [Google]
callop7.jpg
123KB, 992x733px
>>957335
Funnily enough we have Yellowbelly/Golden Perch, Aka "Callop" in south straya for some reason. Great eating if you can get them under 50cm otherwise they are too fatty.
>>
File: IMG_2389.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2389.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>957338
Everything is like that, the younger ones are better.

>>957334
Ugly Stiks have their place, but it isn't for casting lures or bass fishing.

And I think those Mayan Cichlids fight the hardest for their size, but peacocks are great too. Everything is a little diffrent. Bluegill are feisty but you can always rip them out of the water fast. Mayans like to run real hard back and forth parallel to shore while diving the whole time and are a blast on lighter tackle. Snakehead like to dig into the ground and are a good fight. Largemouth bass are sometimes lazy and you get ones that let you pull them 75% of the way to shore until they start running but then others will jump out of the water 4' in the air and try to shake the hook. Peacocks are always a good fight and run around and dive and try to wrap you up in any weeds. Those invasives and nonnatives all seem to fight harder and are more active than lots of the North American natives.

Pic is a Mayan.
>>
>>957346
They cast lures great, provided they are only 1/2 Oz spinnerbaits. Perfect for trolling Lures from a boat though.
>>
>>957211
Notice that Penn is not on there, because they're garbage, because anon said so.
>>
>>957318
>Okuma Stratus V that Dick's always had on sale for $30-$40
They are right now. I'm debating getting another, or 2
>>
>>957323
Do you even have spinning reels?
>>
>>957211

undeniable fact

I will shit on every non shimano fag every chance i get
>>
>>957360
Yeah I have 2. Probably gonna get one more then idk after that.
>>
File: 976987697869876.png (369KB, 348x1024px) Image search: [Google]
976987697869876.png
369KB, 348x1024px
>>957211

fixed

non-shimano niggers btfo
>>
>>957357
>Penn
We're posting brands known worldwide, not your hipster american only shit.
>>
>>957371
Lel
>>
>>957005
Use the larger lure as an attractor and tie on a small trailing fly/grub.
>>
File: rodnreel1.jpg (184KB, 765x1402px) Image search: [Google]
rodnreel1.jpg
184KB, 765x1402px
>>957368
Post your Curado cunt. Only me and one namefag have achieved true enlightenment.
>>
File: 1478903374432.jpg (19KB, 368x407px) Image search: [Google]
1478903374432.jpg
19KB, 368x407px
>>957381

>curado

babbys entry level shimano.

wew lad

I have:

-Calcutta Conquest 50
-Calcutta 100GT TE
-Calcutta 200GTB
>Stradic 1000FE

Soon to pick up a new Twin Power XD and 2015 Conquest 100HG
>>
>>957385
>entry level
>$200+ reel

Do you know what entry level even means?
>>
>>957385

it is acceptable entry level for shimano.
>>
>>957387
>>957386

that was meant for you.
>>
>>957381
will Abu fags ever learn?

I think i'm going to go with the new model stradic ci4+ 2500 but I cant decide on what rod I wanna pair it with. Im thinking the G. loomis IMX but im not sold on it, ill have to feel it in person I guess
>>
File: DSCN8099a.jpg (363KB, 1024x1534px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN8099a.jpg
363KB, 1024x1534px
First frog completed!
>>
>>957388
t. retarded tablet/phoneposter
>>
>>957393
SAMAKI
A
M
A
K
I
>>
Has anyone ever used cotton cordell lipless cranks? BPS had them 5/$10 so I figured why not.
>>
File: 1477186265.jpg (40KB, 300x214px) Image search: [Google]
1477186265.jpg
40KB, 300x214px
>>957420
You mean the off brand rattle traps?
>>
>>957421
Yeah pretty much. They look decent enough.
>>
>>957393

Get a Shimano Poison Adrena or one of the new Shimano Bantams

I've fished my friends and they are amazing, coming from a gloomis guy myself
>>
>>957427
>I've fished my friends and they are amazing

Is this some gay innuendo?
>>
>>957402

das it mane

anyway what shimano baitcaster should i buy on ebay/craigslist? i'm using a curado 200 i borrowed and it's memetastic.

should i just find a modern curado or an older chronarch?
>>
File: IMG_1014.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1014.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
not using only Mitchells
>>
>>957447

https://charleston.craigslist.org/spo/5978375697.html

what do you guys think, the chronarch or curado?
>>
>>957449
Using a Mitchell is what the /k/ posters would call someone a Fudd for. It's like only using wood lever action rifles and a shotgun.
>>
>>957211
Wouldn't the bog one be like 6 yoyos on a beach for tactical survival or something more ridiculous
>>
>>957486
but that click....
>>
>>957501
Yeah but still. Just because it's old doesn't mean it's good.
>>
File: 31 Feb. 24 14.33.jpg (206KB, 1450x443px) Image search: [Google]
31 Feb. 24 14.33.jpg
206KB, 1450x443px
>>957225
>
>>
File: Moulinet-Ultegra-Ci4-Shimano.jpg (228KB, 600x386px) Image search: [Google]
Moulinet-Ultegra-Ci4-Shimano.jpg
228KB, 600x386px
>>957449
>>957393
>>957387
>>957385
>>957381
>>957323
>>957276
>>957272
>>957258
>>957254
>>957220
>>957211
>>957251
>>957226
>>957386
>>957505
while we are on the topic, what do you guys think of telescoping rods?
>pic not related
>>
>>957506
They are shit and break all the time.

Idk. Some are decent but I would rather have a multiple piece one.
>>
Hi guys I'm incredibly new to fishing and honestly have no idea what I'm doing.

I've tried fishing at this local creek where I've been told there's carp. However, after sitting there for hours and having my bait constantly being eaten, I gave up.

I was told to use bread and corn without any lead weights.

Any advice to someone who has only started fishing literally 2 days ago?
>>
>>957506
Had a telescopic rod once. It broke on the 3rd trip or so from a little seaweed.
Can't even remember the name of it but I recall it was being said to be decent.
Odds are 90% of them are crap and the good ones will cost you an arm and a leg.
Too bad as I really like the idea of a 'ready to fish in 30 seconds' setup...
>>
>>957217
Don't get a Wal-Mart-tier rod; it'll cast like shit and probably break. Get a 5wt Stowaway model from Cabelas for ~$110.
>>
>>957421
>Tfw to intelligent too survive
>>
>>957517
Find someone who knows how to fish and go with them.
>>
>>957487
What.
>>
>>957517
Where you at? Could be little carp just nibbling the shit out of the corn instead of getting hooked.
>>
>>957517
As I always tell people asking this exact question: head down to your local fishing-gear-shop and have a chat.They are usually more than happy to help.
>>
>>957506
I have 2 of them and they are not for everyday use. But if you don't treat them like shit they will last.
>>
File: Angry Chins 0012.jpg (34KB, 574x485px) Image search: [Google]
Angry Chins 0012.jpg
34KB, 574x485px
>another perfect but rainy day for fishing
>can't go fishing because other responsibilities

REEEEEEE

The past two months have been total shit for me going out fishing simply because of scheduling conflicts with the weather for good fishing.

>puts baitfish in freezer
>>
>>957582
I feel ya. A lot of times I take a week of vacation in Feb and get out fishing but didn't do it this year. I'm taking Monday off work I think but only because I have a doc appt and other shit to do that isn't as important as fishin but needs to be taken care of.
>>
>>957582
>going to go ride dirtbike today
>planned to drive 40 min to get to a good spot
>looks like rain
well fuck that
>>
>>957517
1st rule - Quit fishing for carp. Those are meme fish.
>>
>>957597
>meme ___

>>>/b/
>>
>>957517
Wait a few weeks for Spring when a lot of species start pre-spawning/moving to the shallows.
>>
Is the daiwa T wing a meme or does it really cast further?
>>
>>957614
Certified meme.
>>
>>957614
Lel. Just seems like another one of those designs that could be good in theory but makes very little difference and isn't even noticeable if there was any improvement.

http://www.bassresource.com/bass-fishing-forums/topic/155721-tatula-t-wing-system-love-it-or-hate-it/

I have thought about that before. When casting the memecasters, if the levelwind is all the way to the left or right, I think it cuts down on casting distance a tiny bit compared to having it in the middle.

>>957597
Depending where you are, it can be fun. When I was a kid, the closest pond was tiny and shitty and we could either go for half pound bass or 5lb carp, so we went for carp.
>>
>>957211
>>957368
>>957371
Are Shimano rods and reels actually that good or is it just a joke?

I mean, I need to get a spinning reel combo pretty soon and I gravitated toward shimano for no other reason than because I'm a bit of a weeb.
>>
>>957622
They're good. You don't get the most for your money and they won't have a ton of fancy bells and whitsles like a Quantum for the same price but they will work well for years of use.

Can't go wrong with any of the Shimano spinning reels. But depending on your price range, Pflueger is probably the other choice for freshwater spinning reels. Pflueger President is $60 and is THE REEL to get in that range. Trions are like $40 and people seem to love those. And I think the Patriarch is their more expensive spinning reel and that's supposed to be good too.
>>
>>957622
And Shimano Rods... they are fine but I think there is a lot of better stuff out there. Only Shimanos I had much experince with was the Sellus and those are around $50-$60 I believe. They were just meh for the price, 6/10. Even the Shimano fanbois don't use Shimano rods.
>>
File: IMG_4507.jpg (75KB, 600x449px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4507.jpg
75KB, 600x449px
>>957622
Get the new Sahara Fl Model. It's got the higher tier gearing and frame but for only $80-$90. Plus it's aesthetic
>>
New curado for 150 or daiwa ct type r?
>>
>>957506
>telescoping rods?
I keep debating getting one just to have it always with me but haven't. I prefer 1pc rods but think a 4, 6, or 8 section rod would be better than a tele.
>>
>>957629
>Sellus
I was checking it out at Dicks and it felt okay. 6/10 for $50 is a no go. thanks, I'll pass on it.
>>
>>957506
They are great for storing in your vehicle along with some tackle in a small box.
>>
>>957631
That looks nice with the redesign. Some of their reels look like they came out in 1992 and never changed a thing.

>>957643
Yeah I was looking at them too when I needed a new M weight rod and I was debating between that and the Fenwick Eagle and the Eagle was so much better for the same price. Abu Vendetta is only $20 more if the color combo works for you.

>>957647
Just keep a 6' 2pc rod in there
>>
I used to fish a lot with my da back in the day when I was young, but i'm looking to get back into it at least once a week or so, could anyone rec commend a rod or something?

Also does anyone live in Scotland? I'd like to know some places I could travel for good spots
>>
>>957655
Same with lots of us here. Gave it up during high school and shit and then picked it up again when we got a little older and all of out friends were busy doing important things.

Idk how it would work out for Scotland, but the Pastebin in the OP has a little "How To" for getting into lake and pond shore fishing and there is also a list of common rods you can find around here for <$100. Most of the big fishing brands are international so hopefully you can find an Abu Garcia Cardinal SX combo near you.
>>
>>957506

My friend's telescoping rod keeps getting shorter because the eyes break off, I think it's down to about 3-4 feet now
>>
>>957656
Ah, shit, I skimmed the OP, didn't see the pastebins, sorry, I'll have a look

As for the rod is the Abu Garcia one a really good one? found it on Amazon for 78 quid, don't really know much about rods, ym dad just bought us whatever years ago
>>
>>957659
What Abu? Was it the Cardinal SX Combo?

Just remember to make it less confusing- rod is just the rod, reel is just the reel, combo is when you buy the rod + reel together.

Post the link to the one you found on Amazon. If it's the SX, that is a decent price because they normally retail for $80 in the US I think.

Also, do you have a local tackle shop or at least a sporting good shop that specializes in fishing? They can give you good advice on what fish you should target, where to go, and what to use. Generally a good freshwater starting rod would be something like a 6'6" Medium rod, 30 or 3000 size reel, and 8lb-10lb monofilament line like Trilene or Suffix or even Stren.
>>
>>957653
>Just keep a 6' 2pc rod in there

That's still much longer than most telescoping rods. You need 4 pc travel rods instead. That'd bring it down to 18" or so which is compatible to many telescoping rods. Most telescoping rods are under 2 feet long with collapsed.

>>957657
Your friend is a moron. Tell him that for me.
>>
>>957666
>compatible

comparable
>>
>>957664
https://www.amazon.co.uk/GARCIA-COMBO-CARDINAL-FISHING-SPINNING/dp/B00PJWUOHI/ref=sr_1_1?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1488038287&sr=1-1&keywords=Abu+Garcia+Cardinal+SX
This is the one you talked about i'm sure

There used to be an old fishing shop in my town, but it's gone now i'm sure, and the only close place I can think of for advice would probably be the Loch close to where I live, they charge for fishing but it's probably my best bet to get started again
>>
>>957668
You planning on targeting carp? Any idea how large they get.

And that's the reel I was talking about, but they normally come with a 1pc or 2pc Cardinal SX rod instead of that 3pc Cherrywood rod. If you can live with a 1pc rod and transport isn't an issue, I suggest going that way but if you can only find 2pc or 3pc rods online, it's not the end of the world.

For carp and stuff, that 30 (or 3000 for other brands) should be a good size or even a 35/3500 probably with 10lb line. The combo you posted looks good but see if they offer it with the other rod maybe. But the price is fine, especially considering the free shipping which is normally $15-$20 especially with 1pc rods.

There could be some good Shimano combos on Amazon too. Take a look and post links if you see anything you like. Going with major known brands like Shimano and Abu is always a good idea because you can always get replacement parts and repairs easily if something happens.
>>
File: IMG_2620.png (205KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2620.png
205KB, 640x1136px
>>957668
>>957670
I was gonna tell you to look at this combo too but damn they screw you on the pricing. That would be a $100 combo in the US.
>>
File: IMG_2621.png (191KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2621.png
191KB, 640x1136px
>>957671
Goddamn...

I wonder what shipping would be if anon ordered something from Bass Pro's US site and tried to get it shipped to the UK. If it's <$50, he could still come out on top by like $100. I keep forgetting about the exchange rate too because 200£ would probably be close to $300USD
>>
File: IMG_2622.png (134KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2622.png
134KB, 640x1136px
>>957668
Sorry for multiple posts, but you might be able to get something from Okuma for a decent price. Just make sure to get the right size (I'm thinking 6'-7' Medium like pic related).

I still need to look at Abu stuff
>>
>>957671

>220L's for a pfleuger president combo
>>
>>957670
>>957671
>>957674
>>957677
My local Loch only has Rainbow trout last I knew, main reason i'm gonna look up some other fishing spots hopefully since I did get quite bored catching only them
I'm not overly concerned about the pc of the rod at the moment, transporting them isn't too much trouble for me right now

And yeah, looking at the priciing of some of them, I was a little taken aback, that mainly why I asked so I didn't just throw money away

https://www.amazon.co.uk/GARCIA-SPINNING-FISHING-PROFILE-BAITCASTING/dp/B017W96UQ4/ref=pd_sbs_200_8?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=JGJGZ0W142M1JK529TA0
Whould you say this rod is an alright one?
>>
File: IMG_2623.png (121KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2623.png
121KB, 640x1136px
>>957678
Everything is bad. They want £100+ for Abu Ike combos which are like $40-$50 in the US. And the Cardinal SX combos with the actual SX rods are like £200. I think the Abu he originally posted is the SX reel on a cheap Berkley Cherrywood rod but at least he's getting a $40 reel that will work and then he can upgrade the rod if he finds something for a reasonable price in the future.

I'm just trying to find him something that isn't complete trash and will be respectable without costing the equivalent of $300.

There was one 6' M Ike Dude combo for £74 plus £4 shipping which still sucks when you look at US prices but at least he wouldn't be paying £150 more than what the thing is worth.

What is the UK's version of Dick's Sporting Goods or even fucking Walmart? Walmart has those SX combos in their stores for $79 all the time.
>>
anyone have any experience fishing the red river of the north? im looking into fishing for channel catfish and i think im going to set up a sliding sinker rig with minnows. any tips, spots in the F/M area, or advice is much appreciated
>>
File: IMG_1270.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1270.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>957683
I saw those, and they are actually priced well compared to lots of other shit. But there's a couple issues you will run into with memecasters (low profile baitcasters) like that. If you are going to fish for trout and other small panfish, they don't like to cast light lures and baits. I don't like to go with <1/4oz (7g) lures on the baitcasters much, and lots of trout lures will be like 1/8oz (3.5g) and many even smaller. Also there is a bit more of a learning curve with the baitcasters compared to spinning reels so you have to be careful at first or you will be cutting off a lot of line. Pic related.
>>
>>957506
This got me looking again and I would probably do the LL Bean spin/fly kit for $170
Includes two complete fly and spin outfits.
The 8'6", 5-weight, 6-piece fly rod comes preloaded with floating fly line, backing and leader.
The 6', medium/light, 4-piece spin rod is preloaded with 60 yards of 6 lb. monofilament.

OR the Orvis Encounter for $225
This 4-piece 7' travel rod includes 2 interchangeable butt sections, 1 for spinning and 1 for fly fishing, each with its own well-matched reel

I'd lean towards the LL Bean because the fly rod is longer but I'd probably replace the spinning reel.
>>
>>957688
Ah, I feel a little overwhelmed with all the info etc, all I remember was I stuck on anything and flung the line in

But I'll try to read more into everything, i'd like to know what i'm doing when I start up again
Still it's baffling how so many of these rods are at such exorbitant prices
>>
>>957692
You really don't have any local retailers that sell fishing stuff? Or at least a UK website that sells the stuff besides Amazon?
>>
File: IMG_2624.png (415KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2624.png
415KB, 640x1136px
>>957692
Btw you can always buy the rod and reel by themselves. Pic related is a good inexpensive reel that would work for you. Get one of those with 6lb-10lb line depending on what you are targeting. Then try and find a M weight rod around 6'-7' at a reasonable price. I have a feeling Amazon prices could be skewed because they factor in the expensive shipping prices of rods into the actual price.

New thread coming soon.
>>
File: 1488038370671.jpg (145KB, 600x1022px) Image search: [Google]
1488038370671.jpg
145KB, 600x1022px
>>957696
>>957696
>>957696
>>
>>957693
I'm gonna have a little look now, apparently there's a small fishing shop opened up recently so I'll have a look there, and I found this place which is a fir bit away from where I am https://www.fishingmegastore.com/index.html but I don't mind travelling
>>
>>957704
If you were in the US, I would tell you to find a local shop specifically for the knowledge. They will often give you a lot of tips and tricks and if you drop some money on a full setup, the mom & pop places will often work with you on price and give you a little deal. If their selection is shit or their prices are really high, you can still buy a few small things and leave with some knowledge and then order the big stuff online. But in your case, hopefully a place with a website like that will have a good selection in store and will be able to set you up with everything you need for less than Amazon is trying to charge.
>>
>>957706
Yeah, I mean I don't really mind paying for stuff if it's good, but some of the prices just seem to be too much

Like the 39 dollar Abu Garcia rod in the doc is 74 quid here, just seems like I'm paying through the nose for it
>>
File: IMG_2626.png (104KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2626.png
104KB, 640x1136px
>>957709
There's a new thread up too if u want to go there

And I'm combing thru that website. They have a handful of cheap spinning combos and something like pic related would at least get you on the water. But after looking it through, I would probably suggest going thru that Fishing Megastore website and ordering a rod and reel seperate since the selection of combos is shit. Spend £30-£40 on a reel and another £30 on a rod and you will be good to go with something that isn't professional tier but will still last you some years of good use.
>>
>>957280
we all do
Thread posts: 316
Thread images: 74

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.