[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who here has stayed in a mountain hut? Can I leave my big pack

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: Refugi actuacions estiu.jpg (4MB, 4032x1348px) Image search: [Google]
Refugi actuacions estiu.jpg
4MB, 4032x1348px
Who here has stayed in a mountain hut?

Can I leave my big pack in one safely while going to climb to a summit with just a day pack?
>>
>>908431
not now that yurop is flooded with rapefugees.
>>
>>908443
Something tells me they don't hang out in remote mountain huts in Andorra.
>>
I'd say it's perfectly safe, but leave a note explaining that you're returning for it. Sometimes people leave gear free for the taking at huts, and someone might be stupid enough to think your stuff is up for grabs.
You going to Andorra? Awesome, where exactly? All the huts I saw there were beautiful on the outside, shitholes on the inside.
>>
that hut looks more like a mansion

what am i missing here?
>>
>>908631
It's supposed to hold a few dozen people.

>>908593
I plan on climbing Comapedrosa, near Arinsal. It's a stopover on a Toulouse -> Andorra -> Barcelona -> Porto -> Caldas da Rainha -> Lisbon trip. I've never stayed in a hut before since I've only climbed in the US and we mostly just camp or stay in hotels. We don't really have a hut system like Europe does, though I did stay in Yurts in Colorado back in 2014 during a ski tour.
>>
>>908646

Everyone does this as it is common to do circular treks with stops in this huts (which we call guarded shelters anyway) from which you hit summit with the attack bag.

This palces have toilets, kitchen servied and showers and shit, In some of them they provide lockers for a small fee. Places are fucking expensive and you can camp rigth in front as long as you are +2000 m. If you want to pay to stay in you can avoid paying for the meals they prepare (which on the other hand can be pretty awesome) and cook inside (with your own utensils).

Be mindful things CAN get stolen, it happens but it´s not common at all.
>>
>>908647
>Places are fucking expensive and you can camp rigth in front as long as you are +2000 m.

Don't think it's worth lugging my tent since this is just one short bit of a 2-3 week long trip, most of which is in towns and cities.

Is it hard to find groups to tag along with for the hike sorta like in a hostel? I'm planning on going solo and while I feel safe doing the hike alone (I have plenty of experience in the Rockies), it might be more fun to tag along.

I also looked at bus timetables and I think the last bus from Andorra la Vella to Barcelona leaves at 15h, so I'll likely have to spend a second night in the hut, Arinsal, or Andorra la Vella.
>>
File: abbot pass hut.jpg (153KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
abbot pass hut.jpg
153KB, 1000x667px
>>908431

I wouldn't trust a touristy ass place like that. People here don't mess with your stuff when you're at almost 3000 meters.
>>
>>908655
Tagging along another group is something I´ve never seen done, usually there are a lot of routes and stuff so everyone goes their way / rythm. It might be obvious but you´ll have to know how to speak at least spanish to be able to start a conversation (the hut guards might also only know french / spanish / catalan). If you think you´ll have to stay in Andorra la Vella, remember that city is not /out/ at all as it's packed with people from the neighbouring countries buying random cheap stuff and not giving a fuck about anything.

Also, Comapedrosa is the tallest mountain in Andorra so I guess it will be full with people (hikers and pine pissers alike). If you can´t tag along anyone, you can always entertain yourself following the family with the angsty teenager brought against his / her will.
>>
>>909399
>It might be obvious but you´ll have to know how to speak at least spanish to be able to start a conversation (the hut guards might also only know french / spanish / catalan).
I'm going to start studying Catalan during my break from school, but I would think English is fairly widely spoken in Andorra. My friends from Portugal know a lot of people who ski there and I've also heard a lot of people in Western France go there.

>you think you´ll have to stay in Andorra la Vella, remember that city is not /out/ at all as it's packed with people from the neighbouring countries buying random cheap stuff and not giving a fuck about anything.
If I stay there, it would just be for the night after climbing and taking the bus to Barcelona the next day, so I'm not really concerned about where I am as long as it's relatively cheap/convenient.

>Comapedrosa is the tallest mountain in Andorra so I guess it will be full with people
This I've worried about. I'm not sure how crowded it will be since I'll be somewhat early in the season (mid-late June). I've looked at my alpina 40 map of Andorra and I've noticed plenty of mountains which have huts, but I'm not sure how accessible they would be for a tourist without a car so I'm definitely open to recommendations for other summits which would be easy to get to for someone traveling between Toulouse and Barcelona.
>>
>>909420
English is not widely spoken in Andorra, France, or Spain and you might be a bit more lucky in Portugal but not by much. However the big cities you visit are different and you´ll always find someone who speaks it but it´s pretty embarrassing that we´re still retarded like that Imho.

I don´t know much about the Andorran pyrenees so if you have to go there I´d just recommend to find something good looking and doable in the map and stick with it, as you say we have lots of huts and this happens all over the pyrenees so everything is more or less within reach.

The timing you mention is good, right before high season but there'll be people as hiking is a very popular activity.
>>
>>909422
>English is not widely spoken in Andorra, France, or Spain and you might be a bit more lucky in Portugal but not by much

Yeah, I've heard Portugal speaks noticeably better English than Spain because they use subs on TV while Spain uses dubs. The Portuguese I know and have come across in Europe generally don't have nearly as thick of accents as the Spaniards.

Anyway, like I said, I'm learning Catalan now (my goal for my Christmas break from school is to learn 100 words and at least get the present-progressive and simple past tenses down), plus I already speak European Portuguese fairly well which I've read is fairly commonly spoken in Andorra.

>I don´t know much about the Andorran pyrenees so if you have to go there I´d just recommend to find something good looking and doable in the map and stick with it, as you say we have lots of huts and this happens all over the pyrenees so everything is more or less within reach.
My main dilemma is that I won't have a car, so I'm limited to what's accessible by bus and I know literally nothing about the Andorran bus system save for that there's one from Andorra la Vella to Arinsal.
>>
>>909428
Whenever I go up Andorra me or a friend drive but I'm 100% they have a good central bus station in Andorra la Vella which works as network hub (and info point if you need it). During winter there are buses that periodically go to every skiing station, if a similar service is available through summer you can use them as starting / finishing point.

I don't know about andorra people speaking any portuguese at all but if you know a bit of that (which can be quite similar to spanish or catalan) and a bit of catalan mixed with the bit of english they might know, you'll sort it out. I'd focus on being able to figure out what to say to the bus drivers / public transport workers as that will probably the most challenging part, communications wise.
>>
>>909552
Follow up question: what are conditions like in Andorra at that time of year? Will the trail be pretty clear or will I want to bring Microspikes?
>>
>>910219
There is no snow during summer, maybe small patches of snow/ice but nothing big and definitely nothing you can´t do just with boots.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.