[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Archery for Beginners

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: 1337485970017.jpg (281KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1337485970017.jpg
281KB, 1600x1200px
Hey /out/,

I wanted to pick up traditional archery as a hobby and hopefully move on to bowhunting once I get good.
I've tried out a 45 lbs. recurve bow a couple of times and have been able to shoot with it but it feels a little bit too heavy for me still right now...
So I found a cheap PSE snake bow online but it maxes out at around 22 lbs.

So my question is, if I start practicing with a 22 lb rated bow will the muscles used in archery still develop?
22 lbs seems very light like I won't see any muscle development or strength build from using it over time to reach the 45 lbs draw weight.
>>
OP here,

This is the bow I am referring to:

http://www.basspro.com/PSE-Archery-Snake-Recurve-Bow/product/14102811283511/

Will this draw weight help me develop muscle strength to eventually pull 45 lbs comfortably?

If anyone has experience with this it would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>>908053
>>>/k/
>>
>>908061
For a basic beginner bow, it should be pretty good. Anywhere in the 20-30 lbs range is pretty good for a beginner bow, and it will build up that muscle, especially if you practice often. I'd also recommend getting some surgical tubing and tying a knot into it, use it to practice your form. Practice it when you're waiting for something.
>source: I used to be a basic archery instructor with my grandmother

Speaking of, have you got someone to teach you?
>>
>>908177
Thanks anon

I don't have a teacher but from watching my form and comparing to other archers I seem to be doing alright
>>
>>908177
>getting some surgical tubing and tying a knot into it

What does this do?
>>
>>908053
The muscles will come later focus on your form first . Also lurk on some actual archery sites for better info like archerytalk. Second try to find a range near you so you can try before you buy ,and get a helping hand from someone in the flesh
>>
>>908189
No problem friend! Make sure to ask other archers, they're usually sporting enough to help.
>>908190
Ah, should have been more specific. If you hold one end like you were holding a bow, you can practice the motion for pulling the string. It'll build up muscle memory without the possibility of dry firing the bow, which is generally bad for them. It also lets you develop your finger technique a little, a lot of people start out thinking that you basically grab a string all the way down to the second knuckle.
>>
>>908053
Get a 30#, sell it when you man up enough for a real bow.
>>
My dad bought a bow and some fishing rods a week ago. Mfw I can't admit to him that I like the same shit or I'll just be /chip off the ol' block/. How do I bring it up? We barely even talk.
>>
>>908474
That's ridiculous just talk to him
>>
As i said in the other archery thread, go to the gym, bench press and soldier press will help you with your back muscles and biceps, deadlift will help you with your forearm (and fingers) strenght
>>
>>908191
>Second try to find a range near you so you can try before you buy ,and get a helping hand from someone in the flesh

this is great advice. i went to an indoor range probably 15 times before i bought anything. people are really nice and will let you try their stuff out and talk to about the mistakes they made.

and if you are just shooting for fun find a weight thats comfortable for you and dont be afraid to try a bunch. when target shoot for pleasure so i shoot lighter than i "should" just cuz its more relaxing.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.