[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /out/, so I just got an acre and a half of lovely land. I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 7

File: McMullen_Log_Cabin_hi.jpg (3MB, 1800x1173px) Image search: [Google]
McMullen_Log_Cabin_hi.jpg
3MB, 1800x1173px
Hey /out/, so I just got an acre and a half of lovely land. I'm planning to get a polytunnel, set out some beds, using mainly permaculture concepts in laying it out, so all that is more or less planned (in my head). But the living space still needs to be decided on, what would you guys recommend that isn't too expensive?
I'm thinking log cabins are out due to cost. A yurt is fairly limited in size (well the one's I've seen anyway). Cob, earthbag, etc, are very labor intensive and it's just myself doing it. A big shed might be alright but generally not great for heat, I dunno. Suggestions are very much welcome.
Oh and I'm living in Ireland so we're fairly wet and windy
>>
>>680315
An igloo made from sand bags filled with concrete. Solid, hurricane and earthquake proof, incredibly insulative from heat and cold, hard to spot from a distance. Lacks guest accommodations.
>>
>>680320

Quonset hut covered in burlap sacks filled with soil. Cover in grass seed and wait. As the burlap rots the roots take hold, and in the end it just looks like a small hill depending on how you slope the sides.

Plenty of room for guests depending on what you start with and how you work the insides.
>>
>>680327
I just gave quonset huts a google and it doesn't look like you can get them done here in Ireland. I'd definitely consider doing the burlap sacks thing, somewhat like dick proenneke except he used moss and plastic. The only thing is that we get an awful lot of rain so I'll have to see what others do so that the roof doesn't cave in from the weight of it. Have you done it yourself?

>>680320
I'd say that'd be too small, I plan to live there most of the time
>>
>>680327
I've got to say... that's pretty fucking brilliant. I wonder how much weight they can hold, though. Galvanized steel isn't exactly the most insulative of materials.

Unlike OP, I would want to go as small as possible to reduce heating and cooling requirements. Anything similar that would be more like a single-room hut?
>>
File: sticks.png (689KB, 1259x718px) Image search: [Google]
sticks.png
689KB, 1259x718px
>>680315
>cost
the reason log cabins are costly is because they take a lot of work and know-how for a good and solid result
if you're willing and capable, the cost is small, especially if you make a small one
if you're looking for relatively cheap and lazy yet fairly weather resistant, I would start by googling terms like cheap prefab house kit
>>
Has anyone looked at a youtube channel called "OutsideFun1". He has two videos up showing a 500 dollar 10x10 pretty cozy cabin he constructed. I was actually rather impressed, even though the furniture and some other things were donated. Log cabins are the closest you'd get to nature, if you keep it off the grid. Expensive wouldn't be the word for it, but like other anons said it takes time, a bit of knowledge or experienced help, and friends to help build it. I will be constructing my own in a few years.
>>
>>680315
Have looked into a small pole building?
>>
File: meador[1].jpg (129KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
meador[1].jpg
129KB, 1000x667px
>>680315

dog trot houses are the shit, they're really nice in humid areas because they let air circulate really easily.
>>
>>680315
google pit house, i;ve always wanted one of those
>>
>>680327
>>680352
No, a quonset hut won't support that weight. Quonset huts were set up my ht e military as quick shelters. I learned as a firefigter that they have extremely poor structural support. Because they are essentially a half circle, if you get a failure at one point, the entire roof collapses. You would logically think they are the best to prevent a collapse, but they are literally the worst.
>>
>>680672

What are you talking about, I had an 24 inch diameter tree fall over on a Quonset Hut and hardly dent the sidewalk.

If you are super worried about the weight, then fucking reinforce it.
>>
>>680678

Siding not sidewalk
>>
http://www.coolhouseplans.com/cabin_plans.html

Here you go OP, get to it
>>
OP here I prob should've added that I'm a 24 yo woman and don't have anyone willing to help with this at the moment. So although all fantastic (loving the idea of a pit house) most seem to require a fair bit of experience and man power
>>
>>680804
Don't underestimate yourself, my girlfriend is also 24, 5'2" and she's more rugged than me
All you need is the drive
>>
File: image.jpg (4MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
4MB, 3264x2448px
What is your budget? In mts of Virginia, I just had a 16x16 shed/workshop built with 12 ft walls, 9ft dual open French doors on 1 side, 6ft shed doors in the other with a couple Windows, & a 6/12 pitch roof built for $4,300. Once electricity inspection passes, I'll build a loft that will have almost 8ft clearance in center.

You can build inexpensively. U just have to get creative. I bought doors/Windows from resell store that gets clearance from big box stores, lumber from professional construction yard, & labor from small local company. It'll be super nice when I finish it up with lean to, deck, & insulation/drywall/pegboard
>>
File: image.jpg (239KB, 1504x1000px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
239KB, 1504x1000px
I think I'm going to paint it this color combo in the Spring
>>
File: image.jpg (4MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
4MB, 3264x2448px
This is the view of the river
From the French doors.
>>
>>680822
Not OP but it's really hard for someone with no experience in using basic tools (hammer, drill, screw gun, circular saw, table saw, nail guns, etc.) to just up and build a dwelling. I have 10+ years of experience in construction so it's easy for me to come up with an idea and just start working on it but I've got a lot of friends who wouldn't even know where to start on a project like this. Sure, anyone can learn how to do it but you really need someone there to show you the ropes, at least starting out. Also, some things are really hard and/or awkward to do with just one person. Something as simple as hanging a door is extremely frustrating when you're trying to do it by yourself but becomes a piece of cake with just an extra pair of hands.
>>
>>680826
>>680829
>>680832
Not bad, I might've tried to bring in some dirt instead of making such tall piers out of cinder blocks. I'm sure you won't have any problems, I just don't like my pier height getting more than 2ft or so off the ground.
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
Workshop builder here. A few reasons not to bring in dirt. 1st being addtl cost plus fill dirt isn't anywhere near as stable. With it being close to the river, we're using 6 mobile home tie downs to firther strengthen. It's outside of the 100yr flood plain but being up off the ground definitely brings more peace of mind from flooding. Side benefit is that it's about 6ft from bottom of building to ground underneath. I'm going to close it in with siding & Use it for storage. It'll also eventually be under a 12x16 deck so it'll get even more protection from the elements.
>>
>>680845
Yeah, I understand that it isn't as stable and will settle over time, in that case I just crawl under the building and use screw jacks on the beams to lift it back to level and then shim under it. I hadn't considered the flooding aspect of it being so close to the river, I can see how in that case you would definitely need the building to be up higher. I live in a very tornado prone area and see prefab homes slide off their piers all the time in this area due to strong winds, especially so if they're built up real high like your building is. You're obviously much more concerned about flooding than you are winds blowing your building over though.
>>
>>680849
always nice to get a different perspective as well as have a none snarky exchange on here 8-) yeah tornados would trump flood if that was a concern lol i can't wait to get inspection completed so i can get my woodworking equipment in there and start doing some projects. Nothing beats doing projects with the sound of the river in the background.
>>
>>680851
>Nothing beats doing projects with the sound of the river in the background.

That does sound pretty awesome, I'm slightly jelly.
>>
>>680854
yeah man...I 1st discovered this area about 6 yrs ago when I was out riding the harley on the Blue ridge pkwy. It's got some amazing riding up there plus it's a stocked trout river. I had been daydreaming about owning land in that area ever since..We bought land about a yr ago and started kicking projects into gear about 8 maths ago. 1 thing is for certain, contractors are definitely on mts time...daggum they're slow
>>
>>680861
Yeah, it sounds like an awesome area. I ride motorcycles too and would kill to live near some decent mountains. As it is I'm about 2.5 hours away from the Ozarks so I guess that isn't too bad but still..

The trouble with contractors is that the ones who are really good, show up on time every day, and always put in a full day's work always have jobs booked up 2-3+ months out. The ones that can show up within a week or two are the ones who show up late, drag their feet, and might work 4-5 hours in any given day. They might do the same quality of work in the end but it just takes them a little longer, haha.
>>
>>680826
Currently I only own €200 so I'll start getting materials bit by bit.

>>680822
Yeah, I've no prob with hard work and getting it done but it's just stuff like carrying stuff that would be difficult. Wouldn't worry about any other aspect though desu. Oh and having to hold stuff in place while trying to fix it in, you really need another person to help for that.

>>680851
Sounds amazing
>>
>>681045
Clamps, levers, jacks, saw horses, scaffolding, and pulleys would allow you to do most things on your own. Just be careful no matter what you do because having someone around simply as a spotter and to drag your ass to the hospital if something does happen is the greatest advantage.
>>
>>680315
Living the dream dear anon.
>>
>>680779
That is the most 90s web page I've seen in a while. Neat stuff, though.
>>
>>681118
probably best if someone else is there so
>>
>>680779
>>682136

>This article is from a Popular Mechanics issue - December, 1983 - and is used without their knowledge or consent. Popular Mechanics

kek
>>
>>680826
Oh man I need to get some land soon. I'm in Springfield and it's driving me nuts
>>
>>680829
Sweden yes!
>>
A-frame cabins are cheapest (think less than $2k if you don't have a real bathroom) but supposedly they're hard to heat.
>>
I'd buy a few somethings like these: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1LctqSSWNs or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYcL2fm-510

Maybe three and line them up together. You'd effectively have a boardwalk, two of them could be used for housing and the third as a communal living area and kitchen. Add your outhouse w/ composting toilet, gardens and greenhouse, whatever else you need and see how it goes.

Mind you, that is just what I would do. I'm not sure if it fits into your plans at all but I'm hoping this gives you a new perspective and helps you think.
>>
>>684112
That sort of thing would be ideal. I'd say 2 of them together would do, one for a bedroom and another for everything else. If I can't get something premade like that, My mam said my uncle would help. He used to work in construction and built loft sheds and aviary's.

Out of curiosity has anyone tried straw bale houses or know anyone who has? Would Ireland be too humid and wet for them?
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.