[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's a small, cheap, decent quality camping/backpacking stove?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 21

File: 1453638498796-1.jpg (119KB, 550x504px) Image search: [Google]
1453638498796-1.jpg
119KB, 550x504px
What's a small, cheap, decent quality camping/backpacking stove?
>>
File: download.jpg (6KB, 179x282px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
6KB, 179x282px
Primus Yellowstone Classic. Costs $20, is pretty much the ak-47 of trail stoves. Not fancy, but durable and easy to use.
>>
I use one of those $10 Etekcity stoves off amazon. I pretty much only camp by myself and use a little 20 oz cup for all of my cooking and it works fine for my needs.

However I only have about 5 real trips with this thing so far so not sure how long it'll hold up.
>>
>>676213
I also forgot to mention it fold down into a little plastic case that's like 2x the size (2x width, height and length) of a zippo lighter. I put that into my cup with my collapsible spork, a lighter in case the piezo doesn't work, and some extra aluminum foil and made a little aluminum foil lid for it. Pretty compact setup for a solo backpacker
>>
tin can hobo stove.. burn some sticks init.
>>
A campfire.
>>
>>676213
>>676218

I use the same stove and pot. Awesome little set up.
>>
>>676189
Empty a tin of pellets. Poke ring of small holes. Fill with alcohol. Set afire! Put 4 short nails along outer edge as pot holder. You don't want a canister stove, fuel is hard to come by on thru hikes and they aren't happening proof.
>>
Ammo can stove

>.50 cal can 10-15 dollars
>metal skewers for grating, 5 dollars
I'd also get a small wire hangar or coil and stick in the bottom to keep the wood off the very bottom. What I did is drill holes in the top and bottom then cut out a front square for putting wood in. The lid locks on and I can carry a fuel supply with me. Its only recommended for wood since charcoal tends not to burn well. I did a long burn first to take off the paint then a second after cleaning it with a wire brush. I've been cooking on it for years. Its big enough for two small pots or a whole rabbit or two good sized trout. Just let it get to coals and you can cook well.
>>
File: stove_flame.jpg (5KB, 615x450px) Image search: [Google]
stove_flame.jpg
5KB, 615x450px
>>676301
Alcohol/methanol stoves are cheap and fun to build (I have three,) but they are sloooooow to cook anything.

Recommend a heat exchange (steel wire coil, half in half out of the liquid fuel) instead of pellets to increase burn temperature. If you use the flat bottom of the pot to seal off the top of the tuna can you can actually get a jet burner without too much effort.
>>
>>676370
>Small
>>
>>676384
Does people really burn methanol to cook? This is the bad alcohol that make people blind when it is homemade.
>>
>>676573
You don't huff propane either.
>>
>>676370
how is the bottlecap armor coming?
>>
>>676579
Its done.
http://everythingsks.tumblr.com/search/armor
>>
>>676573
Denatured alcohol is mostly ethanol with just a splash of methanol. That's the best stuff to use, assuming you don't want to buy pure ethanol to burn. But you're not drinking it anyway, and shouldn't burn it inside, so the risk of using other alcohols is practically non-existent.
>>
>>676189
This is a small wood stove, it's pretty nice:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007DBD3IU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage
>>
>>676577
Methanol is not clean burning. I mean, it's almost certainly fine to use for cooking in the amounts in denatured alcohol. But pure methanol has combustion products that are poisonous and soluble in food.

>>676189
For short trips I like one of those teeny aluminum fuel pellet stoves. Works fine.
>>
File: autistic.jpg (25KB, 411x419px) Image search: [Google]
autistic.jpg
25KB, 411x419px
>>676796
Brilliant!
>>
File: image.jpg (48KB, 1132x259px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
48KB, 1132x259px
>>677571
>>Methanol is not clean burning

Wrong

-pic related-
>>
>>678175
You can suffocate on both of those resultant chemicals. Just saying.
>>
>>677499
That's $70. Mine was $3, and came filled with free coffee.
>>
File: image.jpg (927KB, 1919x2291px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
927KB, 1919x2291px
Got the idea for this from someone that posted in a recent thread - it's a pot stand / chimney for cooking with Sterno. I made it from a ring of aluminum that was left over from the construction of a water bottle stove. It weighs almost nothing and works great + it minimizes heat loss and reduces the boiling time...
>>
>>676190
Used one of these every day for three months on an extended bike tour no problems. Don't fall for the high end hyperlight stove meme.
>>
>>678208

That dihydrogen oxide's a motherfucker. It's the leading cause of death for children under 15.
>>
File: 20160201_233715.jpg (1MB, 2560x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20160201_233715.jpg
1MB, 2560x1536px
>>676805
In many countries denatured alcohol/methylated spirits no longer contains any methanol. Just ethanol and denatonium.

>pic related
>>
>>678391
>In many countries

Are you sure it's not just NZ? Wikipedia says that they removed methyl alcohol from their list of government approved formulations for methylated spirits. The USA and EU both mandate that methanol must be in the formulation...
>>
>>678442
Really?
I must admit I was just going off what a few people have told me. Which is pretty dumb of me I guess.

But at least I have cheap ethanol to burn.
>>
File: 41U2TmYd7vL._SX425_.jpg (21KB, 425x425px) Image search: [Google]
41U2TmYd7vL._SX425_.jpg
21KB, 425x425px
http://www.amazon.com/Ultralight-Portable-Backpacking-Canister-Ignition/dp/B00YTGK1OQ/ref=sr_1_3?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1454336457&sr=1-3&keywords=orange+camping+stove

They are crazy cheap off amazon ($10 or less). I bought mine 3 years ago from a recommendation of backpackinglight, and it hasn't failed me yet over 30+ trips.

Light, real small, and crazy simple. Screw on, turn hinge, press igniter, boil dat water. Probably very similar to >>676190
just cheaper, and looks like mine keeps the pot a bit further away from the flame.

Either way, you shouldn't have to spend more the $20 on a camping stove, and at that price point, it'll be hard to fuck up too bad with your decision.
>>
File: 71WUo4c0MKL._SL1010_.jpg (172KB, 1010x1010px) Image search: [Google]
71WUo4c0MKL._SL1010_.jpg
172KB, 1010x1010px
I posted this in another thread that has since been deleted.

a remote style stove like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Superex%C2%AE-Portable-Furnace-Cookware-Foldable/dp/B0171303NC/

is far better than the one in >>678480

I also bought the stove in >>678480 2 years ago when it was best on the market price/performance wise, but it was never satisfactory. the pins that hold the container are too narrow to safely hold anything larger than a mug, and are never level with each other since they are all mounted at different heights be design.

The flame is tiny and quite weak too. A small flame pattern creates a narrow column of hot water in the container, that circulates poorly, slowing the heating process. It often took 5-8 minutes to boil 500mL of water, which is terrible.

The stove I linked to you will address all of these problems, while being more stable and safe to use. As an additional bonus, with the remote canister design you can safely wrap a windbreak tight around your stove/container to maximize the efficiency of your cooking. Special feature: in cold temperatures (less than 20F or so), start the burner normally then invert the canister. the propane gas will then be able to push out the butane gas that is liquid at those temps and would normally be unusable.
>>
>>678208
Way move goalposts there, buddy. Are either of those simultaneously food-soluble AND toxic? I don't think I'm gonna suffocate on CO2 that has dissolved into my food. And yes, I'm aware that the 2 should be subscript instead of superscript; unfortunately, my phone keyboard doesn't have that so I had to make do.
>>
File: image.jpg (20KB, 478x361px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
20KB, 478x361px
>>678766

Whoosh.mp3
>>
>>678762
>Superex
no can get any more
>>
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-Portable-stainless-steel-camping-hiking-equipment-outdoor-camping-stove/32427051446.html

Knock off of wildwood.
Burns just like the real thing.
>>
>>678762

you are an idiot

>A small flame pattern creates a narrow column of hot water in the container, that circulates poorly, slowing the heating process. It often took 5-8 minutes to boil 500mL of water, which is terrible.

total fucking idiot
and the "pins" work just fine. i have used my 7$ etekcity stove and can clearly tell you are full of shit
>>
>>678762

you want a narrow flame because you want to actually heat your container

you need the narrow flame so heat is not wasted on the sides. its concentrated in the center where it should be. if you dont have a wide surface to accommodate a wide flame then plenty of heat gets lost through the sides.
the cheap etek stove has a smaller flame, but its more narrow and irected perfectly in the middle where it should be. it takes longer because its using less fuel, the flame is smaller but this is not a bad thing. this is not a race to boil shit because you are some kind of marathon faggot and you are racing people.

and what the fuck are you talking about hot spots with no circulation?
holy shit boy you are dumb
water does not work like that
any "cold spots" suck the energy of the warm. the energy naturally causes the water to move around and balance itself out

please dont be a fucking idiot
thanks
>>
>>678762

im sorry but i really cant let the stupidity of a post like this go
whats even more stupid is the stove pictured in your post will suck ass for the pot its being used with.

picture the flame being on
now picture the flame hitting the bottom and being directed out the side by the metal pot. sure the sides will be heated but this is still a 30-40% loss of heat.

you need a pot with twice the width of whats pictured to properly accommodate that flame
this is one of the reasons the etek city is much better,
because its a focused beam of fire directly in the center
>>
>>679022

its hard to imagine the flame being on because you will imagine it being the size of the stove, which looks about half the width of the pot
but really imagine the length of the flame reaching out to hit the bottom of the pot,
it extends outwards pretty far - out the sides

this is a significant loss of energy

and you are blowing small numbers out of proportion too.
there is some truth about the circulation of the hot water being concentrated in one spot. yes technically this will make it heat slower but not nearly as much as you think.

if you took two different stoves, both outputting the same exact amount of BTUs and both cooking 1 gallon of water, but with different shaped flames, the stove with the wider pattern of flame will actually boil the water faster. but it will only be a 20 second difference. and this is for a gallon of water.
and also is assuming there is no heat loss from the wider flame escaping out the side. which it will
>>
>>678762
I have never had any issues with the pins being too narrow for any size pot I've used, and especially the flame being weak.
I have found it to be very strong, in that I can't even turn it up all the way because it will spill up the sides of the pot.

The pins also should not be at different heights, that is insane. That wouldn't make any sense at all.

It sounds like you got a lemon when you bought it. Which is not too surprising since they are made in china for hella cheap, but what you described is pretty blatantly not a stove anyone would sell or buy.

Also unless you are using liquid fuel, there is almost no reason to have a remote style stove like that. They are relics from an older age of camping. Sorry guy, but that's what it is.

AND
>>679014
You're not wrong, but come on man, be nicer. It's free.
>>
>>679100

>im wrong

how so?
>>
>>679108
If you are this >>679014
>>679022
>>679050
this guy, then i said you are NOT wrong.

If you're this>>678762
guy, then you're wrong for about a dozen reasons.

Also meant to tag >>678975
this guy and say be nicer, but then I forgot, and now it's kind of lame. But eh, fuck it.
>>
File: stove msr wisperlite.jpg (49KB, 532x450px) Image search: [Google]
stove msr wisperlite.jpg
49KB, 532x450px
Question: some people I know - sister and her boyfriend actually - are going to travel for six months, including a self-sustained hike in Mongolia, and they're wondering what kind of stove to take, because

>any available gas canisters are usually only compatible with really shitty stoves
>finding gas canisters that are compatible with any stove you bring is hard or even impossible

Which has been confirmed by a friend who travelled extensively in Mongolia. Keeping that in mind, I recommended an omnifuel stove like pic related. Have one myself, but can't miss it that long. Are there any more related (and possibly cheaper) stoves available? I seem to recall /out/ talking about Chinese rip-offs that were decent enough.
>>
>>679236
I've seen some chinese knockoffs of the primus omnifuel, but they were still about 80USD and so not significantly cheaper than the authentic item.

to be honest, for what they are doing, they should go for the most reliable product possible, since there is basically no chance of finding spares/replacement parts beyond what they bring with them.

the whisperlite international is fine, but heaven help them if they try to burn kerosene. they'll probably have to clean the lines every other day. there is also the worry about the plastic pump that some people break, although I've been using the old grey/black pump for years without trouble.
>>
>>676190
Anything similar to this design. Or a beer can stove if you've got the materials for the pot stand and wind screen.
>>
File: msr_xgkex.jpg (24KB, 331x300px) Image search: [Google]
msr_xgkex.jpg
24KB, 331x300px
>>679241
Mmmm, dat whisperlite international doe. Great stove, very reliable. If >>679236
they are looking for the hardiest stove they can find though, look into the http://www.cascadedesigns.com/msr/stoves/rapid-cooking/xgk-ex/product
It is more expensive, but it'll burn anything, including diesel you siphon out of a vehicle, and it ought to be bomb proof.

Expensive though, and possibly overkill.
>>
File: EmberLitFireAnt.png (658KB, 600x988px) Image search: [Google]
EmberLitFireAnt.png
658KB, 600x988px
>>676189
I like Biostoves. I'll start you off by talking about the various EmberLit ( http://www.emberlit.com/ ) models. They have their standards stove and the "Fire Ant" models, all under $100.00, and I've only heard great things about these stoves. They pack flat, are easy to assemble and quick to cool after use. The regular stoves are best used with biofuels like pine cones/needles, sticks, twigs, etc. while their "fire ant" model is made to use not only biofuels but trangia/esbit spirit burners and solid/jelled fuels like Wetfire. They typically come in Stainless Steel but you can also have them made from Titanium if you're willing to pay a bit more.
>>
>>682526
While the EmberLit is often touted as the best of those "boxy" biostoves Bushcraft Essentials and Firebox ( https://www.bushcraft-essentials.com/english/ and http://www.fireboxstove.com/ ) make some stoves that compete in quality and price. I personally wouldn't buy a Firebox, Bushbox XL or any hinged stove just because I personally would be afraid of ashes screwing with the hinges. I do like the hingeless Bushbox models excluding the Ultralight.

Firebox G2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADx0-K5QI3w

Bushbox original, micro & ultralight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSKgZB5irOE

Bushbox XL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rxdOvP_c2U
>>
File: SilverFireScoutStoveTech.png (257KB, 790x612px) Image search: [Google]
SilverFireScoutStoveTech.png
257KB, 790x612px
>>682546
If you don't mind paying a little more and having a little less room you may want to consider a gasifier. These stoves are neat because they not only are more efficient but often can be broken down to nest inside the pots/pans you cook on. The Silverfire Scout ( image related ) shows how most gasifiers works.

You can buy this stove ( http://www.silverfire.us/ ) pretty cheaply and for under $120 you can buy a kit containing the Silverfire Scout,, MSR Pot, Fire Starter, & SS Utensils! that all nest together.

Silverfire Scout pack:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oU77ShL078

The TOAKS Titanium stove the Solo stove ( http://toaksoutdoor.com/ and http://www.solostove.com/ ) are two that get a lot of praise. TOAKS not only does great stoves but have a reputation for their cookwear/utensils. You can nest a cup, your utensils and stove inside their pot/pan combo to save room and because it is all titanium they not only cool down quickly but are also very light yet sturdy. Solo stove are made using nichrome/stainless steel, are more expensive but can also nest in a pot but less accessories are available. The Solo stove does come in more sizes than the TOAKS does though and does look a bit nicer if looks are something you care about.

TOAKS stove: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iYeqHyjcD8

Solo Stove: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGOO7EPDfkg
>>
>>682570
BTW I just found out the Solo stoves are on sale. I hope all my info helps, O.P.
>>
>>676189
google "ikea hobo stove"
cheapest you will ever find
works awesome
>>
>>682588
Ooh, very nifty and thrifty.
>>
>>682588
I don't see them on Ikea's website. Are they actually sold in the store or are people making those out of the ordnings Ikea sells?
>>
>>682596
the later it's sold as an utensil dryer
>>
>>682588
Tin cans are still lighter and cheaper. And come filled with food.

Its like you're all ashamed to use better equipment, just because it was made from garbage.
>>
>>682758
yes, tin cans are lighter and cheaper, but they don;t hold up well to repeated burns, will have sharp edges where cut (unless time is wasted on a disposable stove to finish it), rapidly rust after use as a burner, and are basically a pain in the butt.
>>
>>682879
this
these stuff are really sturdy stainless steel, and you can shove a can of food or whatever supplies inside not to waste the space.
>>
File: image.jpg (56KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
56KB, 500x500px
>>682588
The IKEA "stoves" are as good as any of those ridiculously overpriced bio - stoves and they only cost 3 bucks.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30011832/

They can be used with most any alcohol stove, Sterno or wood / twigs etc. A couple wire tent stakes makes a adjustable pot stand or you can buy a ready made (but fairly expensive) option from Siege Stoves.

http://www.siegestoves.com/IKEA-hobo-stove.htm
>>
>>682879
>>683433
>>683555
Okay, you've sold me. Last time I looked into it, they were only sold in stores.

Do they need to be modified at all, or do I just need to carry a couple tent stakes?
>>
>>683824
You can get them in lots of places, look online for "stainless steel cutlery stand". In the UK I got one exactly the same as the Ikea one at my local homeware store.
>>
>>683827
It looks like Ikea does have an online store, now.

The second link here >>683555 suggests that the Ikea stoves a stand for additional airflow. Anybody not do this?
>>
File: image.jpg (234KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
234KB, 1000x750px
>>683824
>>Do they need to be modified at all

This vid shows it in use as an alcohol or Sterno stove and how to use the tent stakes as a pot stand:

http://youtu.be/zJCzs3_QjRk

Pic related and this forum posting show the modification needed to use it as a wood burner although I think I'd cut the fuel door slightly larger...

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1154602-IKEA-Hobo-Stove-and-Becker-Break-Ins
>>
>>683918
yeah you only need to cut out a window if you want to feed it from the bottom which doesn't work as well as you would think anyways so it's optional.
>>
File: kovea_spider.jpg (316KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
kovea_spider.jpg
316KB, 1024x683px
>>678762
>not posting the spider
>>
>>678480
I came here to post this stove. I've only used it for a few trips now but I fucking love it. Will it last for two years? Three? Five? At under ten dollars, who gives a shit?
>>
File: image.jpg (652KB, 1847x2394px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
652KB, 1847x2394px
>>684100
>>only need to cut out a window if you want to feed it from the bottom

Actually, the window is also useful for inserting, lighting and extinguishing your alcohol stove. The window in this pic is a little too large IMO while the window in my previous pic was a little on the small side.
>>
>>684104
the "almost spider" is $10 USD. I'll grant that the spider is better in every quantifiable way of course
>>
>>683918
>>684173
So I checked out some videos and found this: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zJCzs3_QjRk&feature=youtu.be

It looks like in wind, all those holes cause a lot of heat loss. One of the main advantages of the traditional hobo stove, was that there was only vents in the top and bottom, drawing heat up and around the pot before it escaped. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great way to contain a small wood fire... but for focusing heat, I think a tin can would still work better.
>>
>>676189
>payed like $60 for one of these >>678480
>feel like an ass
>>
>>686103
So... railed?
>>
>>686114
railed??

I mean it's a high quality stove, but it cost too much and I should have just got a cheap one
>>
>>686115
...because you felt like an ass. Nm. Maybe it's a regional term.

Here's what I use:
$5 Sierra cup as a cook pot,
$1.50 roll-top aluminium coke bottle alcohol stove.
$3 Libby pumpkin can wood burning stove/ alcohol stove windscreen.
$0 flurry spoon from McDonald's.

I'm trying to see if I can find a round (ball) coke bottle for fuel, I think it may fit inside the Sierra cup.

The thing is, I own high quality expensive gear. I use this setup because of how it all nests and has lighter weight and lower volume components than my "good" gear.
>>
>>686100
Bring foil.
>>
File: image.jpg (275KB, 1292x1438px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
275KB, 1292x1438px
>>686453
>>round (ball) coke bottle for fuel, I think it may fit inside the Sierra cup

...and it does
>>
For those of you that use wood burning stoves, what do you use as a source of ignition.

It seems like if you're in Mongolia or some shit, you're going to run out of vasoline covered cotton balls sooner or later.
>>
Jet boil
>>
File: 0211161552.jpg (585KB, 2048x1350px) Image search: [Google]
0211161552.jpg
585KB, 2048x1350px
>>686576
Just in general, or for a specific purpose? I usually pack some when I know I'll use it, but don't carry things I don't plan on needing.

>>686645
As I just found out. Couldn't find coke, though, so I went with frozen. It made me feel all princess-y.

I tried softening the ball in the oven to shape it and make it shorter (I have a lid). The threading deformed immediately but the ball wouldn't mold. Anybody have thoughts?

>>686651
I don't know anyone who carries those for anything except emergencies. Tree moss usually, sometimes shavings. If you need it to catch a spark, try char. You can make char from anything organic, by baking it in an altoids tin, over the previous fire.
>>
>>676370
You got that idea from ranger's digest, didn't you?
Thread posts: 77
Thread images: 21

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.