[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've never camped before because I'm a weenie, but

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

File: inflateable-tent-feature-medium.jpg (31KB, 600x428px) Image search: [Google]
inflateable-tent-feature-medium.jpg
31KB, 600x428px
I've never camped before because I'm a weenie, but I want to.

How are inflatable tents? They seem really simple and quick to set up and take down, which is what I'm looking for in a tent.
>>
>>676138
>Inflatable
Raises concerns about what happens if it is ever punctured (especially if you are sleeping in it or camping in the middle of nowhere). Just get a simple, one-person pole tent and be done with it.
>>
That looks like a pain in the ass.

You probably want something more like the coleman instant tents. They keep the supports in place, and you just kinda stretch 'em up like a cover people use at a picnic or tailgating. Quechua makes really easy up tents, like the ones you toss up and they pop into shape, and you just stake it down.

Only advantage I could see from an inflatable tent might be lower total weight. But I don't see it being any faster or easier than some of the more traditional tents.
>>
They seems like a cool idea, but getting a hole in one could ruin the entire tent.

I had a Coleman instant up tent. It was huge, and heavy, but did go up easy. It was not terribly weatherproof. During a really really hard storm, I got wet. So wet I had to abandon the tent at 4AM and go to my truck. I was soaked, and all my stuff was too.

A traditional tent can be really easy to set up if you practice a few times. I don't see how an inflatable is an upgrade.
>>
File: p_00019.jpg (275KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
p_00019.jpg
275KB, 1600x1200px
>>676165

I posted >>676148

I had a quechua 2 second II, and it was the easiest setup, most weather proof tent I've ever had. Only real downside was it had shit for ventilation in warm weather (which made it awesome in colder weather), and one time I loaded it into a truck bad it got crushed and broken while on a rough road. But god damn was it water proof. I was on a trip with like 20 people, and like 15 of the people on the trip had to bug out of one of our sites early cause their tents couldn't handle the heavy downpours on our last night camping. I miss it so. They sell 'em in the US now. I had to have a friend import one from Hueland back when I had it.
>>
>>676138
In my professional opinion, I think you should go with a traditional tent. If you practice setting it up a couple times, you should be able to set the thing up in less than 10 minutes.

Long gone are the days when it took an hour and a 6-pack to build my dad's old tent. The thing was like 50 4' long steel tubes and some heavy ass canvas.
>>
>>676138
If you are too simple to figure out how to put up a normal tent and too lazy wrap it up, this might not be your hobby
>>
File: IMG_20150415_181044.jpg (2MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150415_181044.jpg
2MB, 2048x1536px
> inflatable
>>
>>676241
Not everyone camps in a cactus forest.
>>
>>676148
Doesn't seem very structurally secure.
>>
>>676138
lol dont waste your money. just get a normal tent. they sell em super cheap at big stores. they are easy to set up. this inflatable stuff looks ridiculous.
>>
File: duct-tape.jpg (758KB, 3831x2554px) Image search: [Google]
duct-tape.jpg
758KB, 3831x2554px
>muh punctures
I assume the tents that aren't total crap have a somewhat durable surface. And when it's puncured, repairs are not like an impossible thing to accomplish.
Doesn't necessarily have to be duct tape, there are many options.
>>
>>676138
Regular pole tents are stupidly simple to set up. Find a one person on sale somewhere.This inflatable tent just seems gimicky.
>>
>>676544
Normal tents don't get punctured at all.
>>
>>676559
it is very rare, so why would it happen to an inflatable?
and like mentioned, keep a repair kit for worst case scenario
>>
>>676562
It's not about if or when. It's the fact that if a normal tent gets a hole its not a huge deal, if this does half of it collapses and now you need to repair it.
>>
>>676138
>How are inflatable tents?
Heavy.
Expensive.
Gimmick.

It's not a tent for car camping. It's not a tent for backpack camping. It's a tent to show other people you have a tent.
>>
>>676563
>now you need to repair it.
that doesn't prevent people from using inflatable boats, bicycles or driving cars even
they can all have puncture
>>
>>676616
Thats a stupid argument and you know it.
>>
>>676621
It really isn't. And this argument is basically >>676563
"repair is too much work" but the repair could be as easy as slapping on a glued piece of rubber and you're good to go.
>>
>>676625
I'm all about getting those slow leaks that you can't find. The one on the seam that you can't patch, so instead the tent deflates onto you every 90 minutes while you are trying to sleep.
>>
>>676625
Inflatable boats and tyres are all that way because being full of air directly benefits what they're designed for. Inflatable tent posts don't seem to benefit it the concept of a tent at all.
>>
>>676631

I agree with this fellow. Tires are very durable, and the air in them allows them to do their job better. A plastic/rubber sack floats very well with fairly low mass, so is good for a boat.

Inflatable tent poles? When inflated they will be bulky, and without some sort of pumping mechanism (manual or electric) they are likely to be a colossal time consuming pain in the ass. I'd avoid inflatable tents in the same way I'd want to avoid air mattresses when /out/. Bulky pain in the asses that are miserable if they get any kind of leak. I only roll with air matresses when camping directly out of a vehicle. And even then, only maybe.
>>
>>676138
How does it have any structural integrity? Tent poles are rigid and stick in the ground. This just looks like a bouncy castle without the bouncy. It must wobble all over the place.
>>
>>676616
If your bike tire gets a puncture, you're entire bike frame doesn't collapse.
>>
I'd like to see one of these after a bird tries to perch on it, or a pine cone falls on it.

It's no so much that it might get a leak, its that finding that leak may require submerging it under water, and then drying it off, patching it, waiting for the patch to set before reinflating it... all in the middle of the night during a rainstorm.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.