[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gransfors Bruks

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 14

File: m (4).jpg (90KB, 800x534px) Image search: [Google]
m (4).jpg
90KB, 800x534px
What is it that makes these axes so damn appealing?
> design?
> quality?
> steel?
> it's Swedish?
> it's a meme?
> lumbersexuals?

What is it /out/ , what's the reason?
Redpill me. I must know.
>>
>>676112
It's the prohibitve cost, and nothing else.
>>
Absolutely nothing.

It's like buying brand name Pepsi over a competitors generic name Pepso; both containing the same ingredients and taste exactly like each other.
>>
>>676132
this.
Also, I might trip as PepsoFag from now on :3
>>
>>676112
Because you're getting something that's hand forged, 20 year warranty, old world style, which for bushcrafting is a big plus.

It's like the guys that say their HI Point is just as good as a Glock. You get quality that you can depend upon.

Doesn't mean other axes and junk. But most axes are not built like your grand daddies old hudsonbay or plum.
>>
>>676116
>>676132

Waiting for the rest of the poorfags to chime in
>>
File: 025.jpg (129KB, 1600x1068px) Image search: [Google]
025.jpg
129KB, 1600x1068px
Wildlife hatchet or outdoor axe?

>sweating guy struggling to pick one button.jpg
>>
File: 20160123_172744.jpg (3MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160123_172744.jpg
3MB, 3264x1836px
To be honest they dont really appeal to me at all. If they made an actual full size "full size felling axe" I might give them a whirl. And not a poorfag, I own a $400 axe.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (90KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
90KB, 1280x720px
>>676337
They do make a felling axe.
>>
File: gf.jpg (218KB, 1000x665px) Image search: [Google]
gf.jpg
218KB, 1000x665px
I bought mine because "why not". They look stylish, they are high quality, and they got a bit of that old world craftsmanship charm to them.
In practical terms, a pruning saw like my Silky can run circles around any axe for processing firewood.
>>
>>676112

Gear fetishism.
>>
>>676359
I feel the same, I feel like saws are usually faster than axes.
>>
>>676343

Thats like 3 maybe 3.5lb head, I prefer 5lb.
>>
>>676112
>What is it /out/ , what's the reason?
Most people dont know that they an get the same quality at Hultafors, at a third of the price.
>>
My reason is that uncle Ray have one so I want one. If uncle Ray says its top tier, it's top tier.
>>
>>676112
for $200-300 you get something that performs 1.1-1.2 times as well as something you buy for $20-30.
richfags who can't feel the price difference might say totally worth it why would buy anything even slightly worse? poorfags like me see it as horrible value. it looks sexy for sure but totally not worth it.
>>
The design. Fit and finish and superb build quality.
>>
>>676112

The axe in the OP literally won an award for design so there's that..

Guys over in North America need to remember, these axes cost a lot of us Europoors half what they charge you guys for them.
>>
>>676112
Swedish products are inherently superior. Best axes? Gransfors bruk. Best tents? Hilleberg. Most stylish /out/-gear? Fjallraven. Best /out/ boots? Lundhags. In each category there will always be a superior product from a Swedish brand you've probably never heard of.
>>
>>676112
They are comfy :3
>>
Aside from looking the sex, they're really nice in the hand & have a well-made high-carbon head.

I may be a poorfag, but they're definitely worth the investment.
They're heirlooms.
>>
>>676429
That whole setup looks pretty fucking comfy.
>>
I opted for a husqvarna carpenter axe. My brother has a grans. The fit and finish is amazing. However you are paying a premium for that. I would not recommend them for casual /out/ists. Only for the serious out doorsman.

This does remind me of a story. One time at a camp ground in central ky. I seen the typical city fag 500 dollar tent, Prius, ran generator all night. Ect. Had absolute top of the line gear and way to much of it including a wetterlings axe. Built his fire two foot from his tent and melted it. Dug his axe into the ground and took a dime size chuck from the bit. Had -20 sleeping bags when it was summer. Just all around had a bad time. Destroyed half his gear. Day 2 lost his lighter and asked for mine. Being a asshole I gave him my ferrorod and he looked at me stupid then told me about all the shit he done. Made me feel bad so I lit his fire. Fucker didn't have a knife but had a clear plastic wash sink. Threw the axe and tent and a few other things away when they left so I dumpster dived for them. Figured I could regrind the axe and salvage the fabric from the tent.

Never go ham when you are just starting something. Start cheap and gain experiance
>>
Where's a good place to buy a Gransfors Bruks hatchet? I want to get the Wildlife hatchet but I'm not sure where has good prices
>>
>>676397
>live near Hultsbruk
>there is a popular ski slope here called the "Axe Hill" (yxbacken.nu)
>driven by it a gorillion times without giving it much thought
>I never got the reference until recently
>>
>>676497

At least tell us what continent you're on...
>>
>>676496
when i started camping it was the opposite for me.

i was a poorfag student no income i literally had to steal stuff or money to buy anything.
so i started out hanging with people who already had gear slept in their tent, ate their food from their utensil and was handed a lot of used stuff or bought the used items for cheaps also bought a lot of dollar items like a $2 hatchet and a $3 tarp or a $3 backpack.
but pretty much all the gear i collected this way is useless garbage i threw away eventually.

you have to spend some money on stuff or you get bullshit. it's just you should preferably try stuff out before you invest in it. cause buying stuff you will never use is the most expensive.
>>
>>676306
Why not both?
>>
>>676538
I am a firm believer in cost effectiveness. There is always a middle ground with anything that is not premium retarded expensive but also is not cheap wastes of resources.

Think the marbles camp axe or a klean canteen. While I don't care for Mora culture I would recommend them to beginners. Over time you can upgrade as you seem fit. Walmart/ big box gear is always trash in my mind
>>
>>676429
You faggot you cleaned off the neck of the bottle
>>
>>676598
well maybe he doesn't like rednecks did you ever think of that
>>
>>676565
You're an enabler.
>>
>>676112
High quality hand forged axe made of a proprietary high quality steel.

Man-hours go into its production so it has a high cost when compared to an industrially produced alternative, but quality of product is guaranteed as Gransfors Bruks are generally accepted as a quality producer of a variety of axes, all made to exceptional standards for an axe.

Its a way better axe, but if you don't have an axe in your hand when you are out in the wilds, and haven't worked many long hard hours with any axe practising bushcraft/survival, you will not be able to appreciate (or properly care for) an axe of this make.

TLDR: Grind for exp, and once you have filled your axe skill tree you will be able to appreciate it, but while you grind for points use a cheapie or you won't be high enough level to wield a Gransfors Bruks effectively.
>>
File: axe and hatchets.jpg (778KB, 2560x1600px) Image search: [Google]
axe and hatchets.jpg
778KB, 2560x1600px
>>676565
I have the hatchet and also really want the outdoor one too.
>>
>>676497
>>676528
Sorry that didn't occur to me.
North America, the US
>>
>>676538
Buddy I'm homeless and lemme tell you you couldn't be more wrong
Besides, for 30 bucks for a thermarest and a visit to salvation army for a free sleeping bag and tarp you've got all you need to stay warm for next to nothing. My pack was given to me, I've had it 3 years on the road. Bought the cheapest hammock I could find, $20, had that for a year with no problems. You can use cheap stuff so long as you use the RIGHT cheap stuff. That being said I tend to go through sleeping bags because I always break the zipper, I like the one I have now so I just put snap buttons down the side instead and sewed some material to fold over the gap. I took my gear down to -2ish for a week not too long ago and I was fine, I've spent like $60 on it altogether. Even if you don't want to bum it up and get free shit from charity, you can definitely find good deals all over the place for camping gear.
>>
>>677120
well there is a world of difference between $2-3 gear and $20-30 which was the entire point of my post. find the cheapest thing that works but don't even try the cheapest china made shit.
>>
>>676514
I live in åby, just a walk away from the hill. Never thought they made anything at all in hultsbruk.
>>
>>676409
Any recommendations?
>>
>>677044
How does the Wildlife hatchet compare to the husqvarna?
>>
>>676112
The quality is good and they look nice

That being said they aren't worth the price; I see no noticable difference between Gransfors Bruk and Husqvarna axes .
>>
File: 20151116_144245.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20151116_144245.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
>>677538
its lighter and more manageable as such for hatchet needs. It also holds an edge longer.
>>
File: $400 Hatchet.jpg (139KB, 1600x739px) Image search: [Google]
$400 Hatchet.jpg
139KB, 1600x739px
>>677614
Probably made of better steel. Possibly a better heat-treat.

But "le hand forged" offers no advantage over a hot-pressed axe head. If anything machine forgings will be much more consistent in quality.

Would imagine that their handles (the quality of which is just as important as the axe head) beat husqvarna's simply because they're not absurdly oversized. That's always been my biggest complaint about husqvarna axes - the handles are just too goddamn fat. Makes your hands hurt unless you trim them down.
>>
>>678096
Thanks for the info, I've been debating between the two. Leaning toward the GB
>>
You should go to a flea market and get a nice old one for real cheap.
>>
>>678501

I have never purchased an axe, because there's a pile of old ones floating around in my grandparents/relatives tool sheds, despite decades of abuse. Anyone getting an axe should really just look at the handle and make sure that it fits them well.
>>
>>678501
Oh, get an axe? Just get an axe? Why don't I strap on my axe helmet and squeeze down into an axe cannon and fire off into axe land, where axes grow on little axies?!
>>
>>678124
every blacksmith i know uses machine hammer for this type of work.
granfors burke is only different in that they almost automated the entire process with different depths and shapes set up they optimized the number of strikes needed i think it takes 2-3 minutes for them to make an axe total.
>>
>>678219
no prob man
>>
>>678501
>>678556
That reference probably wasn't entirely clear. What I'm saying is I'm mad jelly of you guys that just trip over a Plumb head every time you go /out/.
>>
>>676337
are you a utooober
>>
>>679007
Yeah did some videos as UCC for a casting call. Dont really have the time for it to be honest.
>>
>>677417
dunno man, for me the fiskars x7 hatchet is just fine for occasional use.
it cuts awesome splits even better it's extremely lightweight comes with good enough edge. some had fucked up heat treat in the past either lost edge too fast or chipped mine is good. it comes with a good warranty too if you manage to break it they will replace it.
but fiskars aesthetics are not for everyone i guess.
it's also not a legacy item depending on use last from 5-20 years not 100 or more.
i bought it for about $24.
>>
Glad I saw this thread. Went down to teh basement and found my hatchet. Been sitting under all sorts of shit for 15 years. Forgot I even had it.
>>
>>676337
>$400 axe

Holy shit, axes get this expensive?
It's a formed lump of steel attached to a wooden handle!
Does it suck your dick too?
>>
>>676598
That drove me nuts too.
The wax seal is half its charm.
>>
>>676303
stay inside, where money keeps you safe. stop shilling
>>
>>682450

>does it suck your dick too?

Yes, but only if you remove the handle.
>>
>>682450

Yeah, it was a hard pill to swallow but I use it 2 or 3 times a week and I would buy one again if I lost this one. Works out to be $260 American Dollars which nobody blinks an eye at if the same price is spent on a big screen TV or some apple product. If you earn your money I reckon you can just spend it how you like.
>>
>>682503
The reason why no one blinks an eye at tvs or crapple products is because it's hi tech. Microchips are a lot harder to make than a formed lump of metal. Well, maybe depending on what is being done with the metal specifically. Metallurgy is a science.
>>
>>676112
steel, head's extra reinforcement, but not so much a fan of the handle shape.
>>
>>676986
Life makes so much more sense when you veiw it as an rpg.
>>
>>677120
The problem ive had with cheaper gear is not quality its consistancy of that quality. I bought a $20 hammock, probably the same one you bought, fell right through it in a week. I also bought a cheap stove and down sleeping bag from a big box store, and they have performed flawlessly for the last 3 months. Yoou really are taking a gamble when you buy cheaper gear.

>inb4 your a fat amerifag.

Im 6"2' and 190, hammock was rated 300 lb.
>>
Have the one that is either the hunter or skinner. Unzips a sternum pronto and is helpful skinning out deer.
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>678949
Muh Plumb scout axe. $6 at estate sale.
>>
File: 800px-Shoso-in.jpg (101KB, 800x357px) Image search: [Google]
800px-Shoso-in.jpg
101KB, 800x357px
>>676112
To find out the truth you need to look beyond the questionable opinions of /out. You need to be taught things such as how a well hung axe looks like, what type of steel types and quality is best, what type of handle shape and size, what type of job you are doing (felling, splitting, limbing, all in one?) and which head shape to choose that's best for the job. It takes 30 minutes to proactively find your own answers, this is just lazy and you will never get the anything but opinion. I personally went for a German company named Helko. They provide an aesthetic line similar to Gransfors... I think most companies do, so really Gransfors is special from other companies only in its marketing and popularity. Because I enjoy woodworking, and spend a lot of time camping, I chose a boy's axe... in between a hatchet and a big axe. The head is sharp and bites deep for moderate felling, I can shift my grip upwards to de-limb, and back has a deep taper that makes it good for splitting logs. (my wife carries the tomahawk just in case we need to make accurate cuts in logs and tinder gathering)
>>
>>684645
What does your wife's son carry?
>>
>>684645
>well hung

Snicker snicker

>I chose a boy's axe

[Snickering intensifies]

Manlet detected

>my wife carries a tomahawk

I bet she pegs you
>>
>>685010
>I bet she pegs you
You say that like it's a /b ad thing
>>
I bought one of their hatchets a while ago.
It came sharp as fuck bruh.
Accidentally just barely touched my shirt with the blade and it cut it.
It's held up well.
>>
>>676306
I have the outdoor axe and I do not recommend it. I wish I would've gotten the wildlife hatchet instead.
>>
>>685551
Develop your answer
>>
>>685010
insecure people using insecure insults
>>684672
he will probably receive the boy scout hatchet I started with as a kid. I enjoy the nail puller it comes with.
>>
>>685666
Does your wife's son enjoy Tyler Perry movies?
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>676132
Hey man, don't talk shit about Pepso
>>
>>685759
Our ethnicity is easy to guess by my bad english and architecture pictures. No we are not black.
>>
>>686154
You're clearly in the right place, anon-kun.
>>
>>676359
>In practical terms, a pruning saw like my Silky can run circles around any axe for processing firewood.
Is this true? I'm going to my first 2 day hike and i'm buying an axe or a saw. I'm going to try making traps so if the saw is faster and better at cutting wood i'll get that.
>>
>>686263
Yes. Get a saw. Something that folds down, like http://www.amazon.com/Sven-Saw-Original-21-Folding/dp/B00BI66XPQ
>>
>>685643
The handle is too thin. I get hand cramp very quickly when using it and I have quite small hands. The bit is too thick to cut well, I thinned it down but it's still too thick near the eye.
I do not see the point of having the collar on such a small and lightweight hatchet, it just gets in the way and adds unnecessary weight.
It's like half splitting axe half hatchet resulting in it being too light and small to split effectively and too thick to cut effectively.
>>
>>686263
axe is 4 functions tool (cut, carve, split, hammer)
saw is 1 functions tool (cut)

under a certain cross section axe is faster above saw is faster depending on hardness of wood what diameter it is.

i would have an axe as a single tool but i would prefer having both. you can make nicer cuts faster with a saw but without a hatchet you need to improvise a lot like making mauls and whatnot.
>>
>>676112
Cody from wranglerstar
>>
>>676337
Is that an eucalyptus tree?
>>
>>686930
wait is it pronnounced "a yuke-alyptus" and "an ook-alyptus"?
>>
>>682450
Hand made by Swedes that have to pay Swedish levels of tax and pay Swedish cost of living.
>that doesn't necessarily mean it's better than a chinky factory axe, just that it costs more to make.

You'd be correct to say that. Same deal with "damascus" steel. It's just more labor intensive to make it.
>>
>>686937
Ive heard it pronounced both ways, here in Brazil we say yuke-alyptus
>>
>>686930
Yeah mate.
>>686937
I call it "you-cah-lip-tiss"
>>
>>687000
I was wondering how do they work for firewood?
>>
>>687002

Excellent, thats what we plant them for.

Theyre too hard to work with once they season so need to be blocked up within a couple weeks of falling them.
>>
File: IshavedwithbrandXaxeFurRealz.jpg (52KB, 620x517px) Image search: [Google]
IshavedwithbrandXaxeFurRealz.jpg
52KB, 620x517px
>>676112
I can feel your warmth and intellectual depth from here.
>>
>>687022
Nice I used to get native species from here (Brazil) but Eucalyptus trees are literally everywhere now, just didnt know if they gunked up the chimney or not
>>
>>687041

I can imagine, I cut down a clearing 3 years ago and onlly returned up there few weeks ago and there are trees taller than me and as thick as my wrist growing. Some will coppice off of stumps quite well also.
>>
>>676359
Is that a leaf spring knife?

I've done four myself, gave three away. The one I've kept is amazing. Holds a great edge and durable as anything.

Only thing is it's so heavy I may as well take a hatchet.
Thread posts: 93
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.