[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cold Weather Jackets

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 11

File: fjallraven-greenland-parka-2.jpg (161KB, 575x390px) Image search: [Google]
fjallraven-greenland-parka-2.jpg
161KB, 575x390px
Hey guys, looking for input on cold weather jackets (lowest approx -30C) but preferably on the cheap. As much as I like the idea of Fjällräven my wallet does not.
>>
Get a waffle long sleeve/thermal long sleeve shirt, a 3-5mm neoprene wetsuit jacket, and what ever hoodie you own on top for a hood and pockets.
I use this layer system and was outside replacing a heater core for about 8 hours at a time at around -10F with high humidity.
>>
File: czech m85 parka.jpg (133KB, 825x700px) Image search: [Google]
czech m85 parka.jpg
133KB, 825x700px
This jacket right here is the shit, family.
>take out liner, can wear comfortably up to 70f/21c
>with liner i've worn it comfortably down to -6f/-21c with nothing but an undershirt underneath, im sure i could go lower

if you add another small later of insulation under that i imagine you could wear it to -30c or even lower quite comfortably.
>>
>>672412
Try Helly Hansens line Helly Tech instead of meme fjallraven, cheaper and better. But also, if you want something truly good for that kind of weather you have to pay, no way around it. You can only evade paying too much.
>>
>>672644
your embelishing the czech m85 a bit much anon. i own two becasue i managed to get them on the cheap. they are warm no doubt. but you couldnt get away with jsut a t shrt. i would only comfortably wear mine to -10 and thats if i had a wool base layer on. also their hods are fucked beyond belief. but for 15$ at fleet farm i guess its not bad. id jsut get any milsurp over coat i liked and throw a us gi m65 liner in it.
>>
>>672634
he said -30C

>>672412
Something like this (I have the older version), on its own if it's -2C and with extra sweaters and fleeces as it gets colder.
http://www.mec.ca/product/5029-799/mec-frostbreaker-parka-mens/
If you're a canadafag it's on sale.

I also have a really nice down parka, it's nice and toasty at -25C but it's too hot to wear above -15 even with just a t-shirt. Most years it only gets cold enough to wear it a couple of times a year where I live, and this year it's still in storage. If you want to cover a range of winter temperatures on the cheap and -30 is only occasional, layers are better.
>>
>>672412
Northface MCMurdo.

Not supercheap though.

I live in Siberia and wear almost daily in the winter.
>>
File: 1443057314667.jpg (17KB, 300x282px) Image search: [Google]
1443057314667.jpg
17KB, 300x282px
>>672900
>http://www.mec.ca/product/5029-799/mec-frostbreaker-parka-mens/
I am Canadian, can't beat sales (god damn our dollar sucks).
>>672634
I get what you're saying but it just doesn't seem like a good idea for me at the moment but I'll keep it in mind.
>>672710
Will have a looky-loo. I know what you mean about it being still expensive, but if it's better than $600 or cheaper than $400 still pretty good.
>>672644
That belt kills me. This kills the man.
>>672919
I'll give it a look.
>>
want-do has a great line of chinese jackets on amazon if you dont mind looking like an absolute fucking retard
>>
>>672961
LOL I'd really rather not. Plus they're probably only made for asians, and I'm not from Hongcouver so I'd have to pass.
>>
File: anorak.jpg (15KB, 375x500px) Image search: [Google]
anorak.jpg
15KB, 375x500px
a cotton anorak is best in my opinion, keeps you drier than heavily padded jackets.
the hood and how well it shields from wind is very important though.
>>
>>672951
The belt is removable, but I'd recommend keeping it or replacing it with a different one just because it's really good for trapping your body heat and keeping the wind from blowing up into the jacket.
>>
>>672412
If you're Swedish, check out itaboutdoor.se they've lots of clothes similar ti fjällbäver but much cheaper. At the moment they have down jackets for 60-70euro
>>
File: Carl_XVI_Gustaf_01_400x542.jpg (42KB, 400x542px) Image search: [Google]
Carl_XVI_Gustaf_01_400x542.jpg
42KB, 400x542px
>>673073
Veldig godt! Jeg kan lese svenska, men forstår mer på norsk. Now to see if they'll ship international. That or see if I can snag stuff of theirs off ebay.
>>
>>673073
Also, as a Canadian, this is hilarious that some of the jackets are called "Calgary" and "Ontario".
>>
File: 1443746685192.jpg (47KB, 736x415px) Image search: [Google]
1443746685192.jpg
47KB, 736x415px
>>672999
I have a german military surplus anorak (no idea what year). It's not really winterized but I can't find any anoraks that I like otherwise.
>>
A quality windproof/waterproof down jacket with a hood and pit zips for temperature regulation is the way to go.

This is the 21st century guys.
>>
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/guide-gear-mens-cascade-parka-fleece-lined?a=1750308&criteo=AV&utm_source=Criteo&utm_medium=rmktg&utm_campaign=Banner+Remarketing&utm_content=criteoAV
>>
>>673111
If you're using down at -30C then there's no need for it to be waterproof.
>>
Base layer, fleece or wool mid layer, down jacket, hardshell.

Warm enough for what you want, and every single part can be useful in other seasons too, rather than having one ridiculously warm expedition type coat that you'll only be able to wear in extreme cold.

All of these cotton coats are only "cheap" solutions because they're heavy, not waterproof, and they rely on the rest of your clothes to actually keep you warm.
>>
File: g75mjb43919_main.jpg (81KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
g75mjb43919_main.jpg
81KB, 600x600px
alpha industries makes good coats. military grade

copped this 2(?) years ago and it's pretty damn warm and has held up.
>>
>>672412
get a knockoff charhart jacket, dress in layers underneath. works for me well enough
>>
>>673104
There's usually a stamp on the lining that will tell you, if you know the code.
>>
>>673232
>cotton army coats
Old enough to have been a mod. Never again.
>>
For any cheap, nontechnical warm stuff I just use amazon. Searched "men's winter jacket" and saw some promising stuff.
>>
lightweight down jacket as lining and waterproof, windproof shell with enough useful pockets

cotton does only work when waxed and even then its nowhere near perfectly waterproof and also heavy af
>>
>>673303
Looks like those damn cheap asian jackets that will fall apart after 2 days.
>>673326
I am not oper8ter enough to know what the code would mean.
>>
>>673362
Depending on where you are, amazon has some good stuff. Sadly, as I'm Canadian, Amazon doesn't carry nearly as much stuff as the American site, and the American one won't ship to Canada.
>>
File: Cabelas Grand Teton Parka.jpg (49KB, 420x350px) Image search: [Google]
Cabelas Grand Teton Parka.jpg
49KB, 420x350px
>>673232
>Base layer, fleece or wool mid layer, down jacket, hardshell.

Agreed, though I'd add that the hardshell ought to be a waterproof breathable Gore-Tex type fabric (with a detachable hood, if possible).
>>
>>673834
Could you wax a polyester outershell if you don't have other options bychance?
>>
>>673834
Why do you need a hardshell let alone a 3-layer shell for cold weather? If it's -30C you aren't going to be dealing with rain.
>>
>>674215
Because why not? You don't know every scenario you'd want water-proofing in freezing weather. Maybe you're on a boat with ocean spray. Maybe your campfire melted snow that the jacket is against when sitting.

Down is useless as an insulator when wet, so down jackets are important to keep dry..
>>
>>674232
Because a softshell will be better for 99% of uses in the winter. If you can't be aware enough to not melt snow onto your down then maybe going /out/ isn't for you.

If you're on a boat that is a different story, but I seriously doubt any of the crew from the Deadliest Catch is getting advice here. If they are on a boat and dealing with ocean spray, do you think you'd want to be wearing down outside of the cabin anyways? Aren't most of their shells PVC and not gore-tex?
>>
>>674215
A hardshell is more windproof than a softshell, which is a big deal at -30. Also, OP said the lowest was -30, so having a waterproof shell for days closer to freezing point or for freezing rain is important. The biggest advantage a softshell has over a 3layer job is breathability. When it's that cold you're 1. not sweating as much and 2. the temperature difference between inside and outside the membrane makes it work very efficiently anyway, so I would argue that the benefits are just as moot as the waterproofing of a hardshell.

Tldr when cold any breathable shell is breathable enough, windproofing is important, waterproofing adds versatility.
>>
>>673876
>Could you wax a polyester outershell if you don't have other options bychance?

Blast it with ScotchGuard. Not as good as Goretex but better then polyester / nylon alone, which is only somewhat water resistant.
>>
File: GoreTex fabric.jpg (44KB, 320x407px) Image search: [Google]
GoreTex fabric.jpg
44KB, 320x407px
>>674215
> Why do you need a hardshell let alone a 3-layer shell for cold weather? If it's -30C you aren't going to be dealing with rain.

In the first place, a hardshell will be wind-proof and that’s critical in the winter; you could be wearing 100 lbs of fleece and still freeze your ass off in even a mild wind and secondly, the weather is constantly changing; it might be below freezing and snowing right now but in several hours, it could go above freezing with driving rain.

And while admittedly Gore-Tex and such can be expensive, it’s cheeper then it used to be and deals can be found if one shops around, so there is no reason _not_ to have a waterproof breathable fabric hardshell nowadays. And as has been pointed out, a Gore-Tex hardshell can also be used alone without insulation for warm weather rain protection.

Nothing ruins a good time quicker then being cold and wet.
>>
if you want a cheapass hardshell, there's the polizei jacket for 35 bucks here http://www.kommandostore.com/by-country/germany/german-polizei-parkas.html

i got it, there's a whole bunch of reviews on amazon if you google. It's good but not very stylish, and if you have long arms the arms will be too short. No problem for me, but for my friend it was not ideal. Has a fleece liner. Only had it for a month yet and coldest was -1c with no wind, and was of course no problem. I try to wear it for biking but it gets hot very quickly.
>>
>>674602
Not this anon, but I'd also like to point at that the patent on goretex has run out and now every company if using some form of it in their clothing line. So, just because you don't see a goretex tag, doesn't mean that it isn't using the same tech.
>>
>>674621
This website is hilarious. Ya they aren't the most eye appealing jackets but could work perhaps. I had a look at the "Stupid Swedish Green Sweater" and their overview "
Quick Overview

Börk börk börk, put the sweater in the pot"
>>
>>674602
A hardshell is not critical. If you are using fleece then a windbreaker or a softshell also gives wind protection. If you are using down then it is already windproof, but you can add a softshell or windbreaker if you want. Softshells give rain protection too in the event of unforeseen weather changes.
>>
File: have you seen my Mora?.jpg (221KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
have you seen my Mora?.jpg
221KB, 960x540px
>>674966
> Softshells give rain protection too in the event of unforeseen weather changes.

http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/rainwear-how-it-works.html

http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/rainwear.html

Waterproof vs. water-resistant

We call a jacket “waterproof” when its water resistance is sufficient to keep out driving rain. Though companies disagree on test standards, you can trust that any gear that a major brand designates as “waterproof” can stand up to a serious squall.

Waterproof/breathable: This type of performance rainwear keeps rain from getting through to your skin, while also moving sweat back through to the outside world. If you’re planning any activity that gets limbs and lungs pumping, this is your kind of gear because both precipitation and perspiration can soak you.

Water-resistant: Also breathable, this is gear that can handle light rain for a brief time—windbreakers and featherweight jackets, for example. If precipitation lingers or starts coming down sideways, these won’t be up to the task.

Waterproof/nonbreathable: Think rain slicker or emergency poncho. If you simply need to keep the rain out while sitting or standing around, this gear does just fine—and costs very little money. If you do any exertion, though, your rain slicker will be slick inside, too. And it won’t take much wind to make a poncho largely ineffective.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.