[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it worth getting a storm shelter? If you're going to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: storm shelter.jpg (239KB, 1364x1452px) Image search: [Google]
storm shelter.jpg
239KB, 1364x1452px
Is it worth getting a storm shelter? If you're going to be in an area where the weather can rapidly change that is.
>>
I guess if I were alpine day hiking and didn't have a tent with me it MIGHT be useful. Seems like dead weight for 99% of /out/ use.
>>
>>671267
I'll have a tent, but if the weather suddenly changes, i might not be able to get it set up.
>>
why not just use the storm shelter as a tent?
>>
>>671269
Seems like that could be fixed by just being more aware though.
>>
>>671263
got a two man version for sheltered brew and spliff duties on summits.
pretty good. just a case of pulling it over your heads and pulling it tight around the base.
>>
File: Biwaksack 2013.jpg (217KB, 1024x680px) Image search: [Google]
Biwaksack 2013.jpg
217KB, 1024x680px
>>671279
meh can happen to any one.
i was hiking in the alps started in nice sunny 20-25 °C. We a few hours later where almost at the top in the last saddle maybe at 2100 m. when a cloud passed through dropped it to -4°C with slushy rain. We Knew there was a good chance of rain and had good jackets but not this kind of drop in temperature. The Whole thing only lasted 2 hrs and after 2 more the sun was back but we had already aborted the summit and crossed the saddle for a alternative descent route.

>>671263
though i prefer pic related bivi since i could use it with a sleeping bag on other trips. but so far i have not come again into a situation where it would more then a nice to have gimmick.
but its kinda like a airbag or a swim vest. its useless 98% of the time.
>>
>>671263
Who can I talk to if I have an idea for a lightweight portable shelter such as this that offers protection against things like sharp sticks and falling branches?
>>
>>671291
You have to lay down for those though.
>>
>>671263
Swiss alps here, depends on.
>how far away are you from the next shelter, in walking hours
>how bad can the weather turn out, just a short lightning storm or a full out blizzard? Summer or winter?
>are you soloing?

I bring at least my shell jacket. That plus a space blanket.
If you bring a long a sleeping bag, you might as well bring a bivy bag and a foam mat.

That said, you really don't want to surprise camp in a storm, study the weather forecast and mark permanent shelters on your map. Usually it pays to race for the nearest shelter/hut and wait it out there. Ask the locals/oldtimers for weather advice when you meet them,

If you still get caught in a storm, get away from exposed places and ridges, if possibly go to the nearest valley. Stay away from creeks and try to hunker down in some trees. Stay away from big single trees out in the open, they are lightning poles.
>>
File: 01.jpg (68KB, 376x459px) Image search: [Google]
01.jpg
68KB, 376x459px
>>671383
You find it difficult to get up off the ground or something?
>>
>>671630
No, just if a storm suddenly rolls in i don't really want to have to lay down on the floor, i want to be sitting in a shelter and maybe having a snack or whatever.
>>
>>671263
Sitting under the rain in that thing is the comfiest I ever get. Not even a drop on me, but the scent and noise of the rain like never.
>>
>>671263
I looked into these myself last year, in the end i decided not to bother. it came down to the old cheap= heavy and bulky thing.

you can buy a 2 man shelter that is a little larger than a 1ltr nalgene bottle for around £35, it'll weigh around a 500g

you can buy a 2 man 'light weight' version that will weigh around half that and take up half the space, but youre talking £80-90

in the end I decided it wasn't really worth the packspace/weight to have one 'just in case' and the one I would have considered buying was just to expensive to justify as a very occasional use ( if ever) item
>>
>>671941
>2 man shelter
#legitnohomo

Need advice on a good one man + one woman shelter, /out/.
>>
As a canoe and kayak guide in the UK this peice of kit gets used constantly! If your having a lunch break and need to get out of the wind and rain it is perfect. Its also great for boosting the morale of the group as you very quickly warm up inside. I currently have 2. One that is a 4-6 man and the other is 8-10 man. An expensive bit of kit but alot lighter and more practical than a tent or a tarp and packs down to less than a nalgene bottle.
>>
>>672325
sorry to derail but I'm a brit who hasn't kayaked in years, would love to paddle this summer. anywhere cool you can recommend?
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.