[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

WORK BOOT ADVICE

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 14

File: ups.jpg (47KB, 797x797px) Image search: [Google]
ups.jpg
47KB, 797x797px
I went to /fa/. someone there told me to come here b/c of reasons.

just got hired by UPS (under paid slaves).

going to start out as a pt package handler/sorter. basically, move ~2000 boxes that weigh usually 20-40 lbs (max 70) into or out of trailers for 3-5 hours. I need boots that can take the stress. I've never bought boots.

It needs to be/have:
1 black/dark brown (company policy)
2 hard toe cover (in case a box drops)
3 ankle coverage

I read the /fa/ sticky. There weren't a lot of options, and some of the suggestions on there were way above my budget (500 USD; im2poor). Came here for advice since you guys are experienced with buying boots AND using them.

cheap shoes are shit, so I'm willing to pay $150-250, maybe more for my first boots.

need advice, especially from anons with experience with warehouse jobs or something very similar.
>>
>>670449

Not really /out/ either but redwing workbooks are the end all be all for most ups employees
>>
>>670449
Composite toe fo sho
>>
>>670449
i really like my doc martins. get em with steel toe or take em to your neares tailor/key maker (where i lived it was a tailor/shoeguy/keyguy) and have em put in steel to insert or get the ones that are super hard plastic but look ugly af.
>>
>>670449
Chippewa apaches are THE best effay work shoes you can get
>>
>>670458
not really looking for fashion. just durability, safety, and performance.

the apaches doesn't seem to cover ankles but I'll look into boots made by chippewa
>>
File: Z-rI8vocpEx_.jpg (11KB, 439x450px) Image search: [Google]
Z-rI8vocpEx_.jpg
11KB, 439x450px
fuck all the hardsoled boots (redwings, etc), they are great for /out/, but will KILL you walking on concrete all day

redback is fucking god tier for being on your feet on hard surfaces all day. they'll feel a bit loose at first (because they're slip-ons instead of lace up, so you can't tighten them), but when they soften up and mold to your feet they'll feel like a dream.
>>
>>670510
They have 8 inch apaches as well. I Have them and they're great. My job required that I stand for 7 hours and they kept me going.
Chippewas are known for being the best quality and construction for the price.
>>
File: boot.jpg (21KB, 500x393px) Image search: [Google]
boot.jpg
21KB, 500x393px
>>670449
I use Sketcher steel toe ankle high boots for my warehouse job. Get the job done and with some new insoles are damn comfy.
>>
>>670529
Buy a pair of redwings and put some Dr. Scholls in them. That was what I used when I worked at Disney in the concrete jungle. They are stiff at first, but will be the only boots you want to wear.

http://alamoshoes.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Red-Wing-Mens-6-inch-Lace-Up-Boots-Style-2240.jpg
>>
I have a pair of Blundstone Classic.
Best work boot I've ever bought.
I have a similar job, and I'd recommend these boots.
>>
File: RedWingShoesLogo.png (92KB, 400x269px) Image search: [Google]
RedWingShoesLogo.png
92KB, 400x269px
Red Wings, expensive but the best boots I've ever owned. On my second pair now, first pair lasted about 4-5 years of some serious abuse
>>
File: super_rain_forest_hero.jpg (59KB, 723x325px) Image search: [Google]
super_rain_forest_hero.jpg
59KB, 723x325px
>>670449
>>
>>670602
Into my second year with mine.
>>
>>670449
Check out magnum boots. I have a pair, comfy as fuck.

I hiked 46k in one day in a pair of them, and they have the composite toe.
>>
>>670548
>redwings are great!
>as long as you buy something else to fix them...

or wear the redbacks right out the store with no adjustment needed. they have a soft sole specifically designed for your type of use op. plus they're lighter, and with the elastic ankle they breathe better and your feet don't get as hot as traditional lace-ups that you have to cinch down.

source: i'm a firemedic and everyone and their mother in fire and ems (at least here in northern california) uses these as their station/work boots.
>>
My dad and uncle worked for FedEx and UPS and they both swear by Redwings. Probably half the guys in my shop wear Redwings. I wear Redwings. Buy Redwings. Definitely opt for the Dr Scholls if you're on concrete all day.
>>
Thorogoods work boots are the most comfortable ones you can get.
>>
>>670658
see >>670655
>>
I also work for UPS up here in Idaho. I'm running with redwings' and haven't been disappointed.
pro tip: ask your manager about the company discounts for employees. Redwing was listed as an account when I was looking for a pair. You should be able to get the same discount anywhere I think.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>670449
Get Composite Toe, trust me.

I've been using these Cat boots for the past month or two, no complaints. They go for around $110, Sears carries them, and I think Bass Pro has them too.

I also have a brand new pair of Puma composite toes sitting in my closet. My boss reccommended them. I prefer the shoes instead of big boots since I'm walking around all day in them.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>670678
And pic related is the Pumas.

If you want to go the "athletic" shoe route like I do, Reebok also makes some decent composite toes. They have one pair that looks like a skate shoe, and they were decent, but I think there were better options. Cat shoes I posted earlier are some of my favorites, I'll def buy another pair in the future.

To add, Sears is the only big retailer with a decent selection of work shoes, so don't waste your time at other footwear stores. And Sears also sells these DeWalt composite toes that are pretty comfy and go on sale for like $75, but the soles are slippery at first and wear out fairly quick.
>>
>>670675
This I work in a foundry on my feet lifting heavy shit all day Redwing are the best
>>
>>670631
>I hiked 46k in one day in a pair of them

No you didn't.
>>
If you have wide feet, get timberland titan toe work boots. They lasted a damn long time for me working as a machinist and were comfortable the entire time. Machinists are hard on boots, we step on shavings and get coolant and cutting oil on them a lot.
>>
File: Screenshot_20160121-162534.png (340KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160121-162534.png
340KB, 720x1280px
>>670732
...hmm, is Robson pass 23k from the trail head? Yep.

I started the trail, got to the site, walked back to the start in 13 (possibly 14) hours. Met some dudes from Israel, really nice people. And wouldn't you know it, i got a ton of pictures too.
>>
>>670449
Go to walmart and buy a pair of interceptors. They meet all the requirements. Plus they are like 35 dollars.
>>
File: thorogood-814-4516-i_01.jpg (14KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
thorogood-814-4516-i_01.jpg
14KB, 400x400px
http://www.thorogoodworkboots.com/mobile.html

Been wearing throgoods for over 10 years working on my feet. I've tried many other brands but these are extremely comfortable and sturdy. Their also made in the usa if you're into that sort of thing.
>>
>>670449
Redwings. Pricey (mine were $260 after taxes) but worth it. You can go cheaper like rocky or wolverine but you'll will have to replace them after 6-8 months
>>
>>670449
I worked at UPS as a package handler for a year, and now work for FedEx freight. I'm here to help, homie. I had a pair of light brown Timberland Pros for UPS, and a black pair for FedUp now. They are my 10/10 would recommend pair of work boots. Super comfy and waterproof, but also pretty breathable. They're also very affordable, and for the price hold up very well. I still have my UPS pair that I use for outdoor work and dicking around. They've barely worn down. At least go to your local boot stores and try some on. I hope this helps!
>>
>>670869
Also, just as a pro tip: Bring an mp3 player and a shit load of water. It'll make your shifts much more enjoyable. The first few weeks migjt be hard and exhausting, but it's great once you get used to it.They pretty much pay you to work out every night, it's rad. Your arms and legs are going to get ripped. Good luck at your new job man
>>
>>670449
I've worked at UPS for 5 years, get lightweight boots with a composite toe. Get some made for walking/running.

Most people will recommend boots for working in other types of manual labor. You're indoors doing more athletic things, red wings would not be the right boot for this job. You'd be better off with a "tacticool" boot, made for cops and firefighters, Bates are great.
>>
Go with the Thorogoods, they are comparable with redwings in quality but about half the price. No need to break-in, they are comfy out the box. Their maxwedge soles are better than vibram wedges and last longer.

I'm a cobbler, let me know if you have any questions.
>>
>>670890
http://www.amazon.com/Archmolds-Ultimate-Cushion-Insole-Purple/dp/B004DNWQL6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1453422492&sr=8-1&keywords=arch+mold

Heat moldable inserts. I ran them when I used to be a loader. Word of advice from a supervisor. Become a driver and never go into management.
>>
>>670890
I like bates, they're super comfy but they never lasted me very long, 8 months or so.
>>
>>670449
I will recommend Timberland PRO all fucking day long. I bought a pair of these and they are the most comfortable things ive ever had on my feet. I used to wear them outside of work because they were better than my regular shoes. They are so beat up and ragged now they look like they were work by Christopher Columbus. If I can find them in black I might actually buy another pair and retire the ones I have now.
>>
>>671012
>work by
worn by

Also, I think I they are only like $120-ish.
>>
>>670890
thank god, finally another voice of reason. i don't know why everyone keeps jerking off about wearing redwings, etc. on concrete when they immediately admit that they need a softer insole to be comfortable. re: tacticool, that's why i like my redbacks-super low key appearance. >>670529 >>670655
>>
>multiple seppos wearing Australian boots

I'm surprised. You yanks seem to have about a thousand different boot makers.
>>
Out of interest, what do you guys do with your old boots? I've just got a new pair of Salomons because the toe box on the old pair went weird, now the old boots are sitting on my wardrobe looking at me. I don't want to throw them away as they're still good boots, but I doupt that a charity shop will take them. What do?
>>
>>671250
Give them to a cobbler, they can at least use the leather if nothing else
>>
Go for some Lowa's
>>
>>671250
use them as beaters-splitting wood, clearing brush, weedwhacking, chainsawing, digging ditches, etc.
>>
>>671250
Use them like >>671348 said.

Doing something you know will ruin your boots? use your old pair.
>>
>>671221
american boots are god tier for /out/ work, but every major brand seems so bent on protecting this image that they all insist on using only brutally stiff soles for everything and don't have anything specifically suited to urban or /in/ use. enter non-pretentious, soft soled aussie boots. i've said it before and i'll say it again, there's a reason 50% of firefighters and ambulance workers i know who are on their feet on asphalt all day wear redbacks: soft, comfy, light, breathable, cushioned... and no need for adding dr. scholls or anything like that; they're perfect right out of the box.
>>
redbacks
>>
anyone know of any good workboots with impact protection toe (steel/composite/aluminium/alloy) and steel midsole, and steel shank? i need boots with those specs for work. preferably under 150 USD if possible
>>
>>671012
do those have steel midsoles? i was looking at those and my work requires a steel midsole
>>
>>671365
Man, you can get safety shoes that aren't giant, stiff boots. I need a steel or composite toe shoe for work and I have never bought real boots. Look at that pair of Pumas I posted earlier.

Too many people end up buying big, stiff boots when they don't need them. I'm not trying to walk around for 10hrs a day in Florida with big ass Timberlands with steel toes on my feet.
>>
>>672156
did you even read my post you retarded tripfag? i was specifically saying big clunky /out/ boots are dumb for op and to buy light breathable soft soled boots instead. plus those pumas won't work because op specifically said they need to cover his ankles. so fuck off and go drink more soda til you can into reading comprehension.
>>
>>672196
Why so salty?

I'm saying that there are plenty of options besides giant, stiff boots if you need steel toes. Even if you don't go with that specific brand. Plus I'm pretty sure OP is long gone.

People go hard on the internet...
>>
>>672196
>>672198
Also, with regards to reading comprehension, the majority of that post was agreeing with you saying that giant, overweight boots are useless for most people whose jobs require a steel toe.

Mercury is not a toy, my salty anonymous friend.
>>
>>672148
There are many different Timbeland PRO boots. That one in my pic doesnt have a steel midsole but I know they do make a similar boot that does have it. Poke around on their website.
>>
GO REDWING NIGGA THEY THE BEST
>>
>>670602
This. I've been wearing red wings for about 15 years.
For you job I suggest these http://redwingsafety.com/intl/safety-boot/2223-safe-intl/2223-red-wing-mens-6-inch-boot-black
>>
File: IMG_20160126_151557543.jpg (3MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160126_151557543.jpg
3MB, 3264x1836px
As a NEET sc/out/ I do love my boots. Perfect for my needs
>>
>>672198
>>672205
because you're a cocksucking attention whore tripfag cancer and i want you to die in a fiery carcrash
>>
>>674356
brand?
>>
File: image.jpg (58KB, 443x490px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
58KB, 443x490px
>>674418
>>
>>674356
those are nice. w2c?
>>
>>674419
>>675409
Patagonia tin shed, you can get them for a little bit over $100
>>
>>674421
hes right tho and just taking off your trip wont cleanse you of your faggotry
>>
>>672349
But true this is
>>
File: 1443154403247.gif (2MB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
1443154403247.gif
2MB, 320x180px
>>674418
Careful with that edge m8, here are some angry puppies to help calm you down
>>
File: not-so-nice-anymore-are-they.gif (2MB, 270x188px) Image search: [Google]
not-so-nice-anymore-are-they.gif
2MB, 270x188px
>>675563
and here is another
>>
>>674418
jesus christ what a salty, sandy, cunt. next time you sneeze check your panties, see if a pearl popped out.
>>
>>670449
OK so I already do this exact job at a Colorado hub facility.
>you won't know the difference.
The boots are just there so you don't crush your feet like a dipshit. Just make sure you get something with a gripp-y tread.
>I've been in a chewed up pair of milsurp desert combats while my buddy has fresh redwings and our boss has sneakers.
The #1 requirement is that they grip when you're dragging in irregs and they'll at least keep your toes safe from 20+ pound packages.
>the pay isn't worth it. The hours are short, the bennies are ok. The guys on your pd will be cool.
>it's like the military but less up your ass and douchey.
>>
>>670449
Also, no steel toe. If you're at a sort facility you'll pass thru a metal detector every day and steel toes make life harder
>>
>>674418
11 year old detected
Thread posts: 69
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.