[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Here in early spring, i plan on heading off to Dillingham AK.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

Here in early spring, i plan on heading off to Dillingham AK. i have some land up there and am planning on developing it. I have to hike in about 10 miles and dont care about hiking in some tools, i plan on cutting some timber for a cabin, plus cutting a quad trail to the access road. I dont want to hike in gas and chainsaws so i plan on getting a misery whip, some axes, some garden tools. What will hold up to a summer of work? Should i get a pack animal to bring in my tools, or hump it in solo. I have a tent and a sleeping sack. plus, enough family to support me should i start starving or poison myself like an idiot
>>
Check out wranglerstar on youtube. The guy is a toolphile especially when it comes to carpentry and felling trees.
>>
>>668883
Well, regarding saws and axes- depending on how you're building your cabin, I'd suggest going the chainsaw and gas route. 10 miles is pretty easy (assuming it's not hard...), and you can get a ton more work done with a chainsaw compared to a crosscut saw.

I wouldn't bring in an animal unless you can get one for peanuts, have a water source, and a bunch of forage.
>>
>>668883
Legit find a used ATV.. Fuck animals and shit they are still more expensive than gas. Vet bills, feed, boarding. Kay?

Now you got an atv go ahead and use a chainsaw. An good sized felling axe. Some wedges. A 3lb hammer with a long handle. And a claw hammer of your choice. Some big ass nails, lets be reasonable here you never done this before and your log joints are gonna be pretty shit without the help of big ass nails. A big carpenters square. A level. A plumbob. Maybe a small crosscut saw for cutting timbers and plywood for roofing you will eventually decide to build cause its easier. A chalk line. Some smaller nails for finer work. Some hings for doors and maybe a window or something.

Thats all I got for now.
>>
>>668924
I already assumed on bringing good iron hardware. The issue i have with the quad is what i have to cut through to get a quad to the clearing. Im not really limited on just one trip in, one trip out. As for animals, it was kind of my idea to eat it if it died during the winter or i got too hungry. Also, maybe one chainsaw, but i would prefer not to use it. I want the whole frontiersman experience. People have handbuilt cabins for hundreds of years, i want to see what its like.
>>
File: IMG_20160104_114308.jpg (479KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160104_114308.jpg
479KB, 960x720px
Pic related isnt a good saw anon.

I own one and vintage saws perform much better after a clean up and sharpen.
>>
>>668883
>I dont want to hike in gas and chainsaws so i plan on getting a misery whip, some axes, some garden tools.

This is a bad idea, it will take you years to clear what your talking about. Get a good sthil chainsaw with a hardwood chain. How will take care of the stumps, gas, grinder? That's something to think about.
>>
>>668990
Straight up stump bustin son. Dont fell anything i cant dig/cut/burn out
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.