[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is eating fish from the ocean even healthy anymore?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 9

File: download (5).jpg (4KB, 196x144px) Image search: [Google]
download (5).jpg
4KB, 196x144px
Is eating fish from the ocean even healthy anymore?
>>
>>668881

yeah, but maybe don't eat a lot of predator fishes very often because heavy metals
>>
>>668881
Healthy for you?
No
Healthy for the ocean?
No
>>
Indian Ocean, no

Bering Sea, yes.

> be me
> be whale swimming in Indian Ocean
> blowhole starts leaking
> feeling woozy
> shits all the way back to Pacific Ocean

> mfw Indian Ocean designated shitting ocean
>>
>>668881
I'll let you know if it kills me.
>>
>>668881
Farmed fish is. Especially farmed sablefish, wild sablefish can have lifespans of over 90 years so they're often fully of mercury. Never order wild sablefish at a restaurant.
>>
>>668881

Probably more likely to be run over by a car or die from a work-related accident, than anything related to seafood. Or I am at least.
>>
File: geepsl.png (13KB, 261x195px) Image search: [Google]
geepsl.png
13KB, 261x195px
>>669043
I noticed that they sell big lobsters cheaper than little chiggin' lobsters. Is this because the big ones are like 20 years old and full of mercury?
>>
>>669043

On the other hand farmed salmon is frankenfood and usually damages wild stocks.
>>
>>668881
Not really but it takes a lot of mercury to kill you so i would say eat it
>>
>>669043
Wild ocean fish from pretty much anywhere, YES. The water is in constant motion and self cleansing.

Farm fish are not nearly as good.
1) they are pellet fed so they don't taste as good as wild.
2) disease is contained and more rampant than wild.

Atlantic US coast here and hell yeah I'll eat it.
>>
>>669065

It doesn't take much to make you retarded though.
>>
>>669077

He's fine as long as it doesn't make him full retarded tho.
>>
File: ha.jpg (44KB, 446x400px) Image search: [Google]
ha.jpg
44KB, 446x400px
>>669076
>self cleansing.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 2448x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 2448x2448px
for the most part yeah, certain species you gotta watch out for having high concentrations of pollutants, also certain areas are higher risk.
>pic related nice healthy jacksmelt
>>
>>669049
lobsters get older (and hornier) as they age.
A lobster over twenty pound can be like 50 years old. Imagine all the shit that weird pollution thing could have absorbed since the 1960s
>>
>>669094

Learn 2 magic microbes faggot.
>>
>>669049
lobsters are on the wrong end of the food chain to contain high levels of mercury
>>
>>669111
Is that lobster me?
>>
>>669111
>lobsters get older (and hornier) as they age.
>lobsters get older as they age.
>get older as they age.

No kidding.
>>
>>668881
As long as you're not a pregnant woman or a child, it is.
>>
>>669175
meant bigger, d'oh
>>
File: doubleScream.jpg (29KB, 500x508px) Image search: [Google]
doubleScream.jpg
29KB, 500x508px
>>669076
>>669113
>>
>>669076
idk if its self-cleansing

I don't eat that confinment fish.
practices bad for wild populations
feeding grain compared to a diverse wild diet

>>669424
doesn't refute claims
>>
>>668881
mercury is not that big of an issue if you also eat selenium your body will bind the mercury with the selenium and store it in your brain.
>>
File: bioaccumulation_graphic.jpg (175KB, 843x575px) Image search: [Google]
bioaccumulation_graphic.jpg
175KB, 843x575px
>>669767
>doesn't refute claims
what claims?
There was some vague reference to microbes cleaning the water
How do they clean mercury, PCBs, or persistent organic pollutants?
The oceans have been the world's toilet for centuries
And most farm raised fish are fed other fish so you are not avoiding toxins that way
If you want fish from the store, catfish and talapia are farm raised with vegetable diets
Or catch your own fish from a freshwater source you trust
>>
>>669928
what the fuck is that before the polar bear? a whale?
>>
File: 1453312128179.jpg (11KB, 291x180px) Image search: [Google]
1453312128179.jpg
11KB, 291x180px
>>671729
not him but this is my guess
>>
>>669767
They aren't fed grain, they are fed animal protien bi-product pellets.
>>
>>671729
i think that's a walrus
>>
File: pollock-sizes.jpg (60KB, 2048x828px) Image search: [Google]
pollock-sizes.jpg
60KB, 2048x828px
I commercial fish for salmon so bias aside I would not buy any seafood that wasn't caught in us waters. For moral and health reasons. Japan Russia China and Thailand d don't give a fuck and have been steadily destroying their own fish stocks since industrial fishing has existed. Also they were destroying ours up until the 1960s. Also don't eat imitation crab it's fucking gross and so are the farmed fish. Farmed Atlantic salmon from b.c have been found escaping into the wild population and are fucking up stocks. They are fed dog food and kept in closed pens like cows so easy recipe for disease. The bottom and the water around the farms are often polluted. Their meat is pale and gross and not as good for you. Just sayin if your gonna buy seafood get something nice that didn't require destroying habitat, water quality, wild stocks, possible slave labor in Thailand case or whatever other nasty shit that goes on.
I realize my job involves killing but atleast I'm killing a wild sustainable and renewable resource rather than a cow that was kept in a cage with 100 other cows fed shit, lived in shit, pumped with antibiotics etc.
>>
>>671806
>sustainable
>ocean caught
choose one
the war is over. people won. the oceans lost
it would take centuries to undo what commercial fishing has done
>>
>>671874
>the war is over. people won. the oceans lost
Lel, if they lose we lose retard
>>
>>668969
I kekd
>>
>>671806
>don't eat imitation crab
posts pollock pick

Ironically most imitation crab is like 65% pollock.
>>
>>668881
>fish for many decades in local waters
>eat fish all the time
>present day
>can't eat anything now due to pollution

MFW
>>
>>669048
Sounds like terrible logic to willingly put yourself into some other type of danger. Like those, "I want to be happy" people who eat fast food all their life then die in their 30s.
>>
>>668969
The Russian/Soviet navy has dumped like 20 nuclear submarines with the reactors still active into the Bering sea.
>>
>>668881
wild caught is rapidly depleting fisheries

please try to not eat it senpaitachi

for the fish
>>
>>669076
the only way you should eat wild ocean fish is if you catch it yourself, otherwise you have no idea how long ago it was caught and how long it was sitting out before it got frozen, also you have no idea how many times it's been frozen and thawed

>>671874
you can have sustainable and ocean caught, the problem is that with the big net draggers, they kill everything that can't squeeze throgh the holes of the nets can totally wipe out a population in a single pass. rod&reel however has minimum sizes, and if you catch a fish with a hook you can release it and it will most likely live
>>
>>673265
net dragging is depleting it

but you know who gets fucked? the guy fishing with a pole and trying to feed his family
>>
>>671874
show me the alaska fish and game data that backs up that claim
>>
>>673258
Their designated nuclear fuck up spot is called Kara sea, not bering. It's further in the morth and borders only russia. It only fucks up polar wild life :^]
>>
>>673265
Net dragging and very small holed nets fuck shit up not someone fishing with a pole.
>>
>Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.
>Teach a man to fish and he gets mercury poisoning.

https://seaturtles.org/programs/mercury/
>>
>>668881

That guy was Italian.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.