[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Things I need in a camping pillow and mattress: 1. Compact 2.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 8

File: bed.jpg (108KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
bed.jpg
108KB, 800x800px
Things I need in a camping pillow and mattress:
1. Compact
2. Comfortable (inc. thermally)
What are my options?
>>
get naked and lay atop of your clothes
>>
>>668439
>what are my options?
What is your budget?
>>
>>668444
I usually try to be a cheap ass but I now realise this is something worth investing in. But I wouldn't mind knowing whats good in multiple price ranges.
>>
File: 71B66UyDSUL._SL1500_.jpg (67KB, 1500x297px) Image search: [Google]
71B66UyDSUL._SL1500_.jpg
67KB, 1500x297px
>>668452
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001S8FXP0/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1453106321&sr=8-1&pi=SX200_QL40&keywords=exped+7+downmat&dpPl=1&dpID=31oo8eY4SeL&ref=plSrch

This is about as serious as you can get when it comes to absolute comfort and compactability
>>
Anyone used Sea to Summit pillows?
>>
>>668439
thermarest black sleeping pad. Very soft very warm. Great for the price.
>>
>>668439
>$5
>50g
>unbreakable
>seriously, it will survive you
>need no maintenance
>ever
>just soften the ground and it feel like a real bed.
>>
>>668439
>pillow
It is spelled: spare clothes.
>>
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Instinct-Insulated-Sleeping-Pad/1839110.uts

I bit the bullet and bought this at Cabelas and could not be happier. It compacts smaller than a Nalgene bottle and its 4 season insulated despite being an inflatable, took it out in freezing temps and it did marvelously.
>>
>>668508

Is that coating mylar
>>
>>668512
> bite the bullet
> $100

Okay...
>>
You want the best there is? Thermarest Neoair Xtherm. There is no better. It is the undisputed king of camping matresses.

Or so these guys say.

http://m.outdoorgearlab.com/Sleeping-Pad-Reviews/Therm-a-Rest-NeoAir-Xtherm
>>
>>668512
Please explain why anyone should buy this down contraption when there are thermarest neoair models with the same r-value, the same thickness, smaller packed volume and HALF the weight. Not to mention that the slightest bit of moisture is going to make that down pad useless.
>>
File: 81FuSkJsUgL._SX450_.jpg (15KB, 450x317px) Image search: [Google]
81FuSkJsUgL._SX450_.jpg
15KB, 450x317px
>>668482
Not specifically the StS one but I have an Exped inflatable pillow that is similar. It is not a substitute for a real pillow but it is wayyy better than sleeping on a sack full of jackets. Super light, super compact. Fits perfectly into the head area of a mummy bag and stays put. I wrap mine in my fleece jacket for the texture and it's pretty nice.
>>
Hammock, friend. Hammock.
>>
>>668752
If you suffer from any sort of digestive issues. Hammocks are utter shit.
>>
File: img-thing.png (54KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
img-thing.png
54KB, 300x300px
>>668756
what? what the hell?
>>
>>668759
Well they caused me issues and a few people I know who tried.. Its how you lay. We all needed to have our shoulders higher then our feet. You can't get that in hammock.
>>
File: 19.png (18KB, 493x808px) Image search: [Google]
19.png
18KB, 493x808px
>>668760
>>
>>668760
I'm pretty sure hammocks are just a meme. No one uses them for camping
>>
How about this as a warm weather little bed. Inflates in seconds and looks comfy
http://lamzac.com/product/lamzac-hangout/
>>
>>668759

The really can be kind of a bitch for people with acid reflux and stuff. A friend of mine started having a hard time with that kinda stuff a few years ago.
>>
>>668545
because its not down, its all air and it packs smaller than a nalgene.

lrn2read dipshit
>>
>>669112
>>668545
also I can't seem to find a thermarest neo-air that's "half" the weight (half of 1 lb, 10 oz is 13 oz)

you sure are stupid
>>
>>668760
You're kidding right?

My head is always inclined and elevated in a hammock. They're known to work exceptionally well for reducing problems with acid reflux. They even recommend them for babies that have issues with reflux.

You clearly have never slept in a hammock, at least not correctly. I have issues with reflux all the time, and in my hammock is one of the few ways I can sleep well.

Also, the position of your feet is entirely irrelevant to GERD (acid reflux). It's having your esophagus positioned higher than your stomach, making it hard for the stomach to regurgitate contents into the esophagus. Your feet don't contain stomach acid.
>>
File: 20151218_193427.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20151218_193427.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>668778
You'd be wrong.
>>
>>669112
>>669117
Sorry it was meant as an answer to
>>668472
>>
>>669117
Thermarest xtherm.

Better in every way, in particular there is no down to get wet and become useless. And on a trip cold enough where you might consider using that mat, loss of ground insulation is a serious problem.
>>
>>669165
i take it back then, sorry
>>
>>668778
Hammocks are FANTASTIC if you have back problems.
>>
>>668778
i used a hammock 100% of the time I was hiking the AT last year
>>
>>668778
Aw man, guys! This guy is onto us!

You are right friend, hammocks are a meme. A small group of us started a secret meeting when /out/ was created and have been making these inside jokes about hammocks now for years. We rig up tarps and take photos outside to pretend like people actually use them for camping. It's been really fun but I guess our meme is worn out.

Oh well, I'll consult with the guys and perhaps push one of our other memes we spam on this board. I'll give you a hint: it's sharp.

Anyway, thanks for playing along everyone! It's been a rewarding couple of years and we're sorry if we actually got anyone to go out and use a hammock.

It was a meme all along! What a meme!
>>
>>668482
I've got the aeros ultra light(sts), and I'm in love, super compact and super comfortable, wayyyyy better then clothes in a bag. Just buy it.
>>
>>668537
I have the Neoair xlite. It is amazing. In my experience the two backpacking items worth putting some $$ down are sleeping bag and pad, especially if compactedness is important
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.