[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Avid hiker but I'm looking to do something a little more

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

File: 1452648987489.jpg (93KB, 1600x1068px) Image search: [Google]
1452648987489.jpg
93KB, 1600x1068px
Avid hiker but I'm looking to do something a little more /out/, looking to do a multiday trek, now my biggest issue is my lack of knowledge, I know the very basics on building a fire etc but after reading some threads on here I'm realising that a lot of 'survival' stuff I've read or watched is just memes. Do you guys have any suggestions for books or websites where I can learn real knowledge about the outdoors?
>>
>>664694
> ignore the first faggot that says "Into the Wild"!
>>
>>664698
Exactly what I mean when I say I'm realizing all I've seen/read is just meme bullshit, I want to learn about something useful and that I can use rather than stuff that I might need if I'm the only survior of a plane crash in the Andes
>>
>>664701
I think you're better off crashing in the Andes with a soccer team on board.

But that may just be me.
>>
File: leon.jpg (6KB, 236x180px) Image search: [Google]
leon.jpg
6KB, 236x180px
>>664698
>The first faggot who said "Into the Wild" also said to ignore him
>So don't ignore the first faggot who said "Into the Wild"
>Back to the original statement: ignore him
>>
>>664707
But... wait...

That's not really what I meant...

I meant the SECOND faggot!
>>
>>664707
>>664709
Now I'm confused, does that mean ignore you?

Op, ignore the second faggot and the remaining faggots, that say "Into the Wild".

Ok.
>>
>>664709
>>664698
>>664715

So ignore both of you, as one of you mentioned it first and the other second, cool. Next step get together with a South American sports team and eat them if I get peckish on the trail... so far so good.
>>
>>664722
What ever, PECK!
>>
>>664729
WHAT THE HECK PECK!
>>
>>664766
> oh, Sorcha, you are my Sun and my Moon!
>>
Shameless self bump in hopes of some real suggestions/advice, not that I don't want to eat a soccer team.
>>
by definition, anons are unable to have credentials. you need to find a group to practice with, a teacher
>>
>>664694
I would definitely work your way up to multiday hikes fitness-wise.

Not a multi-day, but when I first started out I covered 26 miles in a couple of days with a stupidly overpacked rucksack (everything but the kitchen sink) and almost fucked up my legs during a marshy segment near the end.

I guess my tip is to build up to it one step at a time and learn the importance of conserving energy.

Also, don't wear cotton underpants, trust me on this at least.

Where do you live? In Scotland it's kind of frowned upon to make fires unless it's a spot that's already been 'used' when you can use a stove instead.
>>
File: alive.jpg (43KB, 600x495px) Image search: [Google]
alive.jpg
43KB, 600x495px
>>664694
>any suggestions for books or websites
The first thing you need to understand is that you learn from EXPERIENCE. The only way to become a true survival expert is to get into a real, life threatening survival situation. It's the only way.

Plan A:
1. Watch "Into the Wild".
2. Buy a Mora.
3. Go into the wild, just like in the movie.

Plan B:
1. Buy some tubing etc. for diy enema.
2. Get into a small boat or build a raft.
3. Try to find a deserted island.
>>
>>665032
this is /outs version of an hero
>>
>>664781
>STOP SAYING THAT!!
>>
>>664694
Honestly you're not going need a lot of survival or bushcraft stuff on a weekend backpacking trip.

So long as you know the basics like how to start a fire, make a shelter and first aid you'll be fine.

Mostly what you'll want to tackle logistics. Planning your route, knowing where water sources are, managing your pack weight, making sure you have enough calories per day.

Any good /out/door store will have a whole section of both "how" and "where" books. I'm personally partial to Mountaineer Press, but there a lots of good options.
>>
Unless you're truly going "inna woods" you barely even need any survival shit as well.

Most hiking trails will have huts and places besides the hut for a tent or spots for a tent at some point. Majority of the time you get water along the trail too. Majority of the time it'll either be illegal to hunt for food while hiking or there won't be enough for it. Besides, finding food can take quite a while. Basically, you'll carry all food with you from wherever it is you step off pretty much all the time. On top of that you'll also always want to carry more than you expect to be out for in case of emergency. For example 3 days, take 4 days food, 4 days 5 food, 5 days then 7 food, 10 days, 13 days food, etc, you get the idea. As for cooking the food, it's called a mini-gas stove with gas canisters. These will usually take up fuck all room too for just 1-2 people,less than your food.

tl;dr; Hiking is NOT Survival shit, it is hiking. You appear to have the two mixed in some ways.

Hiking you just find a trail somewhere, walk it for a few days, 2-12, with everything you need on your back. If everything you need is on your back and nothing that you will need is in the wild, with the exception of water, you are not doing survival shit, you're hiking/camping.

Most hiking websites or travel type ones will give you the basics on what you need to be hiking. The hardest part is trying to figure what kind of gear you want to buy really.
>>
I'd recommend renting or borrowing before you sink a lot of money in to gear.
>>
I noticed a lot of people are mentioning that I don't need survival stuff, that was kind of the whole point of the post.. I know I don't need it and I don't want, was looking for advice related to wild camping and the like.

>>665032
Obviously it comes from experience but I assumed it would be better to have a little knowledge before gaining experience than not having a clue.
>>665027
Fitness shouldn't be an issue I'm regular marathon runner but great advice, I guess I'll start out with two nights or so and see what I need and build from there, thanks for the underwear advice.
>>665198
Thanks for the publisher suggestion, will keep an eye at local outdoor stores, I understand that won't need much just want to be somewhat prepared.
>>665243
Good advice, again I don't have the two confused at least I don't think I'm not looking for survival advice just off track trekking advice. Will definently be following your advice on food.
>>665301
Great idea, didn't really think about that.
>>
>>665335
You might be a runner but going out in shorts, lightweight shoes, and maybe 2 small water bottles on a hip belt is a world away from carrying 20-35lbs. on your back for days on end and trying to do all other basic tasks while on unfamiliar terrain. I am not saying you won't be prepared, but almost everyone here has had that first /out/ trip where they carried way too much crap, didn't use half of it or didn't need to, and regretted it for days after while their legs felt like falling off. Try doing 1,000 stairs, now do those same stairs with an added 35lbs. Now you will start to understand why some guys are ultralight fags to the max.

As far as food, look for a food thread. There is usually one in the catalog and if there isn't one will pop up in a day or two. In my opinion the best meals go in this order: no-cook, meal in a bag (boiled), meal in a thermos (boil water, add it, hike for a few hours, have lunch), boil meals, anything else. Most anything that isn't simply eaten out of the package or reheated/boiled should be left for base camps and car camping. I am not trying to make a vanilla beurre blanc with cedar plank salmon 10 miles from the nearest trail head. Nor do I think I would enjoy being eaten by a bear. I tend to enjoy hot meals once or twice a day and the rest of my calories are foods i dehydrate myself. Jerky, fruits, vegetable chips, etc. If you have money to burn you can buy some of the camp meals at places like REI and Field and Stream, some are quite good.

3 trips in and you will wonder why you ever came here - experience teaches a lot more.
>>
>>665343
Yeh fair enough, just going to bite the bullet and get /out/ there, knock off work early on Friday and do a two nighter, see how it goes. Thanks again for the advice
>>
>>665346
If you really want to learn how to do /out shit that's more along the lines of survival and do it yourself then check out Dave Canterbury's youtube channel. It's got a shit ton of entry level material and recently getting into more of a homesteading mentality. You can learn what and how to pack your hiking gear, what kind of gear is good and how to think about selecting it, and the basic skills that you'll need to start getting comfortable when you hit the bush. You don't have to watch the videos when he's doing reviews or selling shit but sometimes it teaches you what to look for even if the particular item isn't interesting at all.
>>
>>664694
here's what I'd suggest;
- Pack light. It's sometimes worthwhile to pack luxuries for an overnight, but you'll want to drop those luxuries in a fucking lake after the third day.

- Don't pack all those "just in case" things. Usually (In WA, at least) you don't need a gun, axe, flint and steel, solar panels, and heavy accident medical equipment.

- Instead, bring a fuel canister and a small stove for heating up water (which is all you should really ever use it for on a multi day hike, unless your're packing luxury food to eat on the first night). Bring a basic first aid kit with a synch, tons of ibuprofen, wound sterilizer, and blister tape.

- Don't forget blister tape. Also chap-stick.

- Don't bring deodorant.

- You don't need to know how to eat all those different plants and berries if you're not a dumbass. One time me and my friend forgot to bring an entire days worth of food, so we got up at 3 in the morning and hiked back to the car by 5. We skipped a bunch of lakes and breaks, but it really isn't that hard to walk far on an empty stomach, especially when you don't have all that fucking food to carry.

- Milsurp shit is way too fucking heavy

- Accept that you're gonna get wet. Here in washington, it's better to dry quickly and stay warm (blocking wind) than to try to avoid being wet. Waterproof shells are good for snow and low activity but if you're anything like me, you'll sweat so much that you've rained on yourself.

- Eventually invest in hiking/trekking poles. You might not want to seem like an old arthritic cripple, but they really do help tons

>>665343
>>665243
these guys know whats up

I tried to do a bunch of researching to go on multi day hikes but you really just have to go out there and make mistakes and then learn from them, it's the only way to really know what works best for you.
>>
If you're out just now OP, good luck! Tell us how it was when you get back, will be interesting to hear from you.
>>
>>664694
https://youtu.be/FQblIAx9Q5E
>>
File: CrashingPepe.gif (2MB, 400x332px) Image search: [Google]
CrashingPepe.gif
2MB, 400x332px
>>665032
Here anon, have this.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.