[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, I want to start fishing this year. But, I need to buy all

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 30

File: 20150125_125701.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20150125_125701.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
So, I want to start fishing this year. But, I need to buy all the gear and maybe even a new rod.

So, anyone have suggestions on what I should get for a started kit? I'm talking hooks, lures, reading material, etc.

If you want to send me amazon links or anything like that, it would be great. Oh, I live in Canada if that matters. Southern Ontario.

Does anyone here use waders? I was thinking it would be cool to have a pair. I am mainly doing river/lake fishing. Not fly or deep water,

thanks!
>>
>>664404
Ice fishing?
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>664404
There are a million choices. Honesltly, I would grab a decent rod+reel combo first. If you spend ~$75 (USD, so probably like $3000 CAD) you won't get a piece of trash.

And then I would say just get a cheap starter kit from Berkley or whoever. A plastic tackle box that will come with a few assorted hooks, bobbers, and maybe a couple lures. Then start fishing at your local lakes, see what is biting and ask what other people are fishing with, and you can start adding lures. Stocking a tackle box can get expensive if you're a dumbass like me.
>>
>>664495

you may be a dumbass, but youre my kind of dumbass.

ask around for what people catch, whats in your rivers & lakes. start there. you may only need a treble hook & some worms, you may need some flashy flies. depends on what you can catch & what theyre used to. but the previous advice is pretty solid.

also, no on the waders until youve done it for a while & know youll keep doing it. start from the bottom.
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>664501
It also doesn't help newcomers that most terminal tackle comes in packs of 20+. There are a few assorted hook packs that are good for most freshwater fish tho. Same with weights. But I have a million small split shots from buying those weight packs because I never use those tiny ones. Even for panfish, I will use the larger ones (1/4oz I think)
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>664404
Here is a cheap little starter kit I was talking about.

http://m.basspro.com/Shakespeare-Lake-Tackle-Box-Kit/product/1308220611307/?cmCat=CROSSSELL_PRODUCT

It's a shame they don't make a bit bigger kit for like $50, but you are going to have your preferences once you start fishing. Also, once you buy a real tackle box, I prefer the bags over the hard plastic boxes. It's real easy to keep everything sorted and you can add and remove boxes as needed. I have an extra box with saltwater stuff I can cram in my bag if I go to the pier. And you can move the little dividers around or go full custom with the dremel too like I did when I wanted to fit bigger stuff in the boxes.

The bags are also much easier to carry compared to a regular box. And you don't have to worry about a latch failing and dumping all of your stuff into the water or grass. I had a traumatic experience like that when I was younger.

If you are searching for a rod+reel, tell us your budget. And post stuff you think looks nice and we will tell you what we think and what size to go with. For a first rod, I would run something medium weight with like 8lb line.
>>
>>664518
>Here is a cheap little starter kit I was talking about.
Looks kinda like this one I was going to suggest to OP
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/total-tackle-90-pc-fishing-kit-0770899p.html

They also have rod and reel combos at Crappy Tire but I can't really tell what's a good one on the web, I haven't been shopping for either in a long time. Crappy Tire isn't bad for fishing stuff and it's convenient but Cabela's and LeBaron if you're near them would have better selection.

If OP is near Toronto he might like to check out the Sportsmen's Show in March:
http://www.torontosportshow.ca/
>>
>>664495
>Stocking a tackle box can get expensive if you're a dumbass like me.

When I was a total newb to fishing (still am desu) I went to nearest outdoor shop and spent $200 on a handful of crank baits and spinners. Instant buyers remorse but I kept them.
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>664553
True. You will eventually figure out what seems to work well in your lakes and buy more variations of those. That's why I have a million Mepps and Rapalas. I'm really digging the Rapala X-Rap slashbaits recently. Plus they have some good color combinations on those ones. The bronze/orange one has been good to me.
>>
>>664536
Thanks man. I am in Toronto but i work in Oakville and get out of the city every weekend. I went to the show when i was younger. Good call.

Maybe this is a good time to ask. If you or anyone were to recommend a Shimano reel/rod what would you recommend? I may be able to get a discount on Canadian stock.
>>
I am from Canada and fishing is fucking dumb. Ok the only thing you need to do is drag a net across the water and boom fish. So easy a retard could do it. Actually spend some time outside and you would know this.
>>
>>664624
Oh great. My questions have been answered. I will go buy a net and spend more time outdoors. Nevermind anyone else. Im off to buy a bandminton set so i can use the net
>>
>>664518
So with a shimano....roughly $200 i would spend. I just know shimano as a company and hear they are great, and I like the company

. >>664505

What would your basic tackle box consist of? Again, for just lake or river fishing...
Thanks for the help guys
>>
File: icefishing set up.png (11KB, 544x498px) Image search: [Google]
icefishing set up.png
11KB, 544x498px
>>664404
Would you fish with minnows?

Here's how I set my line when I use minnows;

I drop it so the minnow is about a foot off the bottom. How it works is the minnow swims around which moves the spoon which could potentially draw in fish from a greater distance, then the fish hit the minnow and get hooked. The glow in the dark hook isnt necessary, i'm not even sure if they have an advantage, but I figure any bit of light could attract a fish.

I caught a nice lake trout using this method last february
>>
File: IMG_16022015013415.jpg (50KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_16022015013415.jpg
50KB, 960x720px
>>664647
I caught this guy with that method
>>
File: fishingtackle.jpg (120KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
fishingtackle.jpg
120KB, 960x720px
>>664553
This is most of my tackle box. The pic doesnt include my ice fishing lures and some I got for christmas. I never bothered with using soft lures, but I mostly fish for big predator fish like lake trout and pike
>>
File: 1427765883252.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1427765883252.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>664651
Do you use any bait....like a worms or scents on the hooks of the lures?
>>
File: muhpike2.jpg (29KB, 258x540px) Image search: [Google]
muhpike2.jpg
29KB, 258x540px
>>664669
I've fished with worms if I'm going for perch and bass. When I fish for pike or lake trout I usually just use a mepps 2 or 3, cast with the 5 diamonds or daredevils, or troll with spoons and crankbait

I caught this pike using the orange mepps 3 in the top righthand box
>>
File: laker2.jpg (136KB, 582x959px) Image search: [Google]
laker2.jpg
136KB, 582x959px
>>664651
I caught this lake trout using the red and silver williamslite in the bottom righthand box while trolling
>>
>>664671
So do you never use scents or worms on lures? Do they just attract a different kind of fish from what you are looking for I guess is my question?

Thanks!
>>
>>664404

Acquire rod and reel.
Ideally go to fishing shop, try them out.
If buying online, look for brands like Shakespeare, Daiwa, Mitchell, Berkley, Shimano. They can be expensive (like all big brands) but if you look at their budget lines you'll find plenty of cheaper rods and reels that are still of decent quality. The advantage of buying a reputable brand name is that customer service will be like your own personal manservant if anything goes wrong.

Acquire line.
Line strength will vary depending on what you're planning to catch. 10-12lb will cover most situations, when spinning I never go less than 12lb as this gives me the option to pull free of any underwater snags.
Buy quality here.
The line is your direct link to the fish, do not get cheap on it.

Acquire hooks. A dozen is plenty to begin with. Size will depend on your target fish.

Acquire swivels. A dozen is plenty to begin with. Size 6 is a good general size. These stop your line from twisting.

Acquire sinkers. Weight will depend on your rods casting range. Half a dozen is enough to begin with.

Acquire floats (bobbers to some), 2 or 3 is enough to begin with.

Acquire lures. Depending on target species, these can vary from tiny jig head worms to massive representations of fish. You however want to get yourself Mepps spinners. These will catch nearly everything. Get a few because you may lose some to snags. Size 2 or 3 is good.
With the equipment listed above you will be ready for most situations. You can fish on the bottom, fish under a float near the surface, or spin.
Bait will depend on target, but worms are always good.

As far as reading goes, read everything. There are countless general guides offering the same basic information, each has their own little extras that the others lack, and all of them will advance your knowledge of your quarry.
>>
>>664673
What a beauty! Look at the color on her. Great lakes? Looks like a nice November catch. Am I so wrong?
>>
>>664682
>Great lakes? Looks like a nice November catch.
Georgian bay man! Great lakes represent. Lake trout are closed in November m8, this is from May of last year
>>
File: 1424743216966.jpg (49KB, 540x340px) Image search: [Google]
1424743216966.jpg
49KB, 540x340px
>>664679
Great dude. I appreciate this alot. I am really looking forward to this season
>>
File: mybass.jpg (58KB, 283x733px) Image search: [Google]
mybass.jpg
58KB, 283x733px
>>664678
Fish like pike and musky, big predatory fish, are opportunistic hunters. They hunker down and wait for their prey to come to them. If they see a lure, looks like a gimpy fish to them, they'll go for it. I've never used scents or worms when trolling. I've used worms for bass fishing but that's about it.
I caught this bass here with the penis squid in the top right box here
>>664651

didn't use worms or scents m8. Live bait fishing is a meme. Only time I use live bait is when ice fishing because I can just set my lines and pick up a beer
>>
>>664693
What does it mean when a fish are closed? Are you not allowed to use the lures to catch those particular fish or are you not allowed to fish in that area?
>>
>>664697
And trolling you mean slow pull from anykind of light boat? Or a cast and reel in from a good spot?
>>
>>664700
in Ontario (Canadian province), the ministry of natural resources are in charge of conservation of fish and game. So they put seasons on which type of fish is permitted to catch and keep, and times when it is prohibited to catch those fish.

Lake trout for example are fall spawners, they breed in the fall, so from September to the end of November lake trout are 'closed'. It would be illegal to keep any lake trout you catch.
Then there are rules for lake trout because they are an ice fishing game fish, so in the winter the season opens and closes in different areas depending on the ice conditions.
In the spring when the ice melts, lake trout are really easy to catch because they're cold water fish so they're all over the surface. For this reason the ministry permits you fishing for them, but it's catch and release only.
The only times you can catch lake trout and keep them where I fish is between May and August.

The purpose is conservation efforts and fair chase.
Don't catch the fish when they're breeding.
Don't go on the ice
Don't keep them in the spring because it's too easy (fair chase)
>>
>>664702
>And trolling you mean slow pull from anykind of light boat
This is trolling, yes. Usually you drop your line 50 or more feet behind your boat and you cruise at a very low speed. If you're using some types of crank bait the lures will dive on their own to certain depths.

The fish you'll catch trolling are going to be predatory fish because they're opportunistic hunters and when the lure comes along they go for it
>>
>>664700
>Are you not allowed to use the lures to catch those particular fish or are you not allowed to fish in that area?
To answer this question, sort of both.
If you're trolling when lake trout are closed, and the ministry of natural resources is out doing checks, then they're going to know you're fishing for lake trout. If you're casting from the shore, then it is unlikely you are fishing for lake trout so they will leave you alone.

Ice fishing season though; if you're fishing before the season is open, even if you claim you're fishing for different fish, you could get a fine, but this has more to do with public safety than actual conservation
>>
>>664636
Can't go wrong with Shimano. Just find whatever reel you like for the money (Sienna, Sedona, Symetre) and go with a md weight, something where the spool on the reel says it will hold ~150yds of 8lb test line. Then find a medium weight rod to match. Ugly Stiks are great for $40, nobody ever has anything bad to say about them. Of you can go a little nicer. Any of the major brands, or even store brands like Bass Pro, won't let you down.

As far as a basic tacklebox, I would say:
>assorted hooks (regular and treble) from small for bluegill up to bigger bass and catfish
>weights: spilt shots, bullet weights, a few of each from like 1/8oz to 1/2oz
>a couple bobbers, I like the ones with the springs
>a couple different sizes of crankbaits (Rapala, Rat-L-Trap, Strike King) from panfish/crappie size up to 3"-4" bass size, from floating to medium/deep diving
>a couple sizes of spinner baits, in-line (Mepps or Rooster Tail, 1/8oz for smaller and 1/4oz+ for larger) and a regular spinner (Strike King, Terminator)
>a few packs of rubber baits like Power Bait, Gulp, or Zoom- worms, grubs, minnows, and appropriate sized jigheads.

And with the lures, try some different colors. Get a few natural colors like gold/silver and then some brighter colors like Firetiger (yellow/orange).
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>664404
>>664636
If I could reccommend a "First Dozen Lures" setup, it would be something like pic related.

Also, think about if you want to run braid line instead of monofilament. It costs more, but there are a ton of upsides. On a rod where you would normally run 6lb-8lb regular line, you can do 15lb braid like Power Pro or Spider Wire. Not everybody like braid for all situations, but I have it on pretty much all of my reels.
>>
>>664755
too much crankbait and redundant jigging lures imo

The pike lures on the left, the meps, and top left diving rappalla are the only acceptable lures there m8. Maybe the plastic worm things for bass
>>
>>664755
>unironically using braid

Do you even catch fish m8?
>>
>>664758
Idk, the crankbaits, there is like one of each type. 2 different color Rapalas that will run pretty shallow, a smaller Rat-L-Trap, a deeper diving shad crankbait, and then the brown frog one is a topwater popper.

I was thinking about throwing a worm in there, but I didn't want to open any PowerBait. All the rubber stuff is from the "used" box.
>>
>>664760
I love using braid. Not just because the strength, but it doesn't have that shitty memory and get looped up, doesn't get all brittle after a couple months of use, and mono over 10lbs is just way too thick and sucks for casting. Plus braid doesn't stretch like mono and flouro, makes me more confident with lost of lures and you can set the hook easier.

I don't know why people use mono aside from financial restrictions.
>>
>>664764
>. Plus braid doesn't stretch like mono and flouro,
>stretching line is bad
>>
>>664764
post some fish you've caught. I'm starting to think you're just a casual showing off daddy's gear.
>>
File: improved-clinch-knot.jpg (97KB, 464x470px) Image search: [Google]
improved-clinch-knot.jpg
97KB, 464x470px
>>664724
>As far as a basic tacklebox, I would say:
Pretty much what I would suggest. Especially the Mepps spinners and jigs. I'd add needlenose pliers, for squeezing split shot onto the line and getting hooks out (pretty important), and nail clippers or some other way of cutting line.

Also, learn this knot.
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>664768
I'm not a fan of the stretch

>>664770
Man I'm 26 and my dad is dead. I caught this guy yesterday. Had to be a 4lb'er
>>
>>664773
decent large mouth, sorry about your dad
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>664772
I was gonna mention pliers, but I thought that was a given. I bought that Skeletool specifically for fishing.

My mom works in the OR, and she gets me these dope pliers. Well, more like I steal them from her house. Pic related. Good for digging out hooks that are lodged deep.
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>664777
He was a piece of shit anyway. No big deal. I haven't really talked to him in years and years anyway.

I just recently got my little bro into fishing. It was expensive because he is a broke college kid so I spent a few hundred $$ on stuff for him. This was a largemouth he got a few weeks ago. Only the 2nd bass he ever caught. He doesn't realize how big it was. 4.5lb at least. Size 12 for reference.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
>>664786
Same fish
>inb4 manlet
He's 6'2"
>>
>>664788
that's a massive bass. Is bass all you catch?
>>
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>664770
Lil' peacock from a week or two ago.

I have yet to get a big peacock since moving to FL. Most of them are 12"-14" and they fight like crazy. I can't wait for the day I get an 18"+ one, it will probably fight like a 7lb largemouth.
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>664792
Mostly largemouth and peacocks. The occaisional bluegill if I'm using a Mepps 1 or something small. Also get some snakehead and my one little lake has spotted gar. I really haven't gotten any catfish since being down here the past 2-3 years. But that's mostly since I fish with lures almost exclusively. Same thing with carp.

The largemouth have just been biting good lately since it is a little cooler. I get more snakehead and peacocks during the summer.
>>
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>664792
And here's a spotted/Florida gar. They are pretty big, like 20"+ but don't weigh a ton. They are real tricky to catch on lures as well. They are more of scavengers I think, so they only go after lures if they get real curious. Plus with their skinny jaws, it's hard to hook them good.
>>
File: 1419175651064.jpg (66KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
1419175651064.jpg
66KB, 600x800px
>>664703
Very well explained. I want to include myself in this thread. Carpenter here
>>
>>664801
Are they similar to carp/suckers? They have alot of storm basins in north miami where i stayed for a bit. I saw some different wildlife on the regular around there
>>
I have a similar question like OP, I need a fishing rod that is portable, to include it in my backpacks when I go /out/ so I can do a bit of fishing as well. What would you recommend? I intend to fish in rivers and lakes in Scandinavia. What else of gear would /out/ recommend?
>>
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>664958
How big of fish are you thinking of catching? I would reccommend some similar lures that I posted above, as well as the regular hooks, bobber, and weights.

Are you thinking about a telescoping rod? I have never really used them. But you might be able to do a 6'6" 2-piece rod and strap it to your bag sometimes.

>>664898
The gar? No, not at all. They have that long mouth with a bunch of teeth and a long, slender body like a pike.
>>
>>664958
Telescopic rods are usually pretty cheesy but they might work. Or you could get a 3-piece travel rod.
>>
>>664977
>>665103
Well I plan on fishing something like salmon, trout similar. I'm in Scandinavia desu. I was thinking to get into flyfishing because I used to do something similar as a kid, but it seems like too much od å bother for now.
Maybe some telescopic rod?
>>
>>664495
Crankbaits are so goddamn expensive.
>>
>>664567
Interesting trick with the elastics. Do you find that prevents your crankbaits getting all tangled to fuck in your box? Happens to mine all the time.
>>
>>664647
Most jurisdictions do not allow use of live bait like this so beware OP and know the regs where you want to fish.
>>
>>664764
Agreed.

I use braid pretty much exclusively now.
Suffix is an amazing braid.

Jigging for walleye, you can feel every tap and nibble with braid.
>>
File: palomarknot.gif (9KB, 431x217px) Image search: [Google]
palomarknot.gif
9KB, 431x217px
>>664772
Also learn the palomar knot. It will not slip on braided line. It's a very simple and very useful knot.
>>
>>665137
>>665103 here, I should change that to my telescopic rod that I had as a kid was pretty cheesy (still caught fish though) so I never took them too seriously. Just looked them up and it looks like there are some decent quality ones now. That would be the most compact.

Or look up "travel rod' and see if there's something you like. I know you're in Europe but here are some examples: http://www.cabelas.ca/search?q=travel+rod
>>
>>665173
Those little rubber bands are a lifesaver. My crankbait box was a mess before. Somebody here reccommended it.

>>665180
I use the Palomar

>>665171
I know, it sucks. BPS has the store brand ones for like $3-$4 all day. They get the job done, but I'm not a big fan. I like Rapalas
>>
>>665195
Not a bad idea but still looks a bit large and I wanna go as light as possibile. Tbh I like fishing for the sake of it, I always release fish because I'm not a biggest fan of it, its not that important that I catch fish actually. Sounds stupid probably. Any brands to recommend? I saw Abu Garcia kits here, any good?
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>665310
+1 if you see something you like from Abu. They are a good brand, and even their cheaper stuff is decent.

I'm the same way with fishing for the sake of fishing. Whenever I talk about fishing with the black dudes and hispanic dudes at work, they are always like "So how did it taste?" and then they look at me all confused when I say I let it go. Even the snakeheads and shit I don't throw back, I don't eat them.

Back in the day, my friend and I always used to go fishing with his grandpa. On Saturdays we would go down to the river, and Sunday night he would fry everything up. That was the last time I ate anything I caught. If I kept all the fish I caught these days, I would have to eat bass filets every night so they don't go bad.

>tfw that CRKT Dragon is a bit to big to keep on the hip
It will be my tackle bag knife. It's basically screwed on to the shoulder strap. I really like that SPEW on my belt anyway. Mount it horizontally and I forget it's there.
>>
File: tickling_trout.jpg (264KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
tickling_trout.jpg
264KB, 1000x750px
>>665310
>I wanna go as light as possibile.
Trout tickling actually works, I tried it once when I was a kid.
>>
>>665341
I'll look into it in a couple of months, everything is frozen and I don't feel hardcore enough to go ice fishing on - 20 lol.
Last time I ate anything I fished was probably 10 years ago minimum. Any other advice?
>>665464
Trout tickling? Do the purr anon?
>>
>>665592
They purr internally, and it puts them in a dopey state so you can scoop them out of the water.
>>
>>665639
But whats the fun in that? Where is the thrill of the hunt or the thrill of soft fish purr purr anon :3
>>
>>665663
Only did it once because I read about it in a Roald Dahl book and wanted to see if it was possible, and there were some little trouts right there behind a rock in shallow water. Put the fish right back in the river afterwards. It was almost too easy.
>>
>>665592
>any other advice?
Nah, mostly because I don't know shit about telescoping rods. If you see something and are thinking about ordering it, post a link here.

If you are buying the reel separate from the rod, post your budget for a reel. You can't really go wrong with most of the big brands. I think I posted the brands earlier- Abu Garcia, Shimano, Quantum, Okuma, Pflueger, Daiwa, Mitchell, etc. Even Bass Pro or Cabela's store brand is decent, but I would look at some online reviews. It seems like BPS reels are hit or miss. There are a few that are incredible for the money though. Shimano has some nice reels for low prices ($30-$50) and Abu Garcia Cardinals are decent for $40 or whatever they run.

And if you are going small and light, you are probably going to get a lighter reel, right? I would say something that claims it is made for 2lb-6lb mono line. If you run 4lb, you can still get most common freshwater fish aside from musky or pike. I have caught 5lb+ catfish on 4lb line, I just tired them out and when they get close to shore, I pick them out of the water by hand. If you want, you could also run 8lb-10lb braid on that same size reel.
>>
>>665669
How did they react when you approach them to apply tickle for giggles? They were not scared anon? :O
>>665679
Thats some good advice, I'll do a thread some of these days about all the equipment I wanna buy in the next months to get ready for summer /out/ings.
Now I got the itch to go fishing lol
>>
>>665693
>How did they react when you approach them to apply tickle for giggles? They were not scared anon?
Surprisingly not, but fish aren't very smart. I crouched down so I wasn't silhouetted against the sky, tried not to be splashy, and slowly moved my hand towards one. When it was underneath I gave it a little tummy rub and lifted it out of the water.
>>
>>665701
Awesome story anon. I admit you ^^
>>
*admire
>>
File: 134s.jpg (23KB, 249x206px) Image search: [Google]
134s.jpg
23KB, 249x206px
>>665705
If you're skeptical (as well you should be), here's a video of some other guy doing it
https://youtu.be/VegSmoDWqdY?t=86
>>
>>665713
I was sceptic, and still am, unless proven wrong, so, in the spirit of /b/ tickle or gtfo XO XO
>>
>>665720
I'm not gonna poach trout and post evidence online now that I can be charged as an adult. Besides, the water's way too cold this time of year.
>>
>>665763
This belongs to /ck/ but awesome, cheffag approves lol
Keep ticklin' dude
>>
The advice I always gove beginners is to hit youtube, and watch some fishing channels that apply to you. These guys are very informative and thorough on a huge number of topics.

I recommend:

Nick the informative fisherman
Fishing the midwest (jojobarz)
1rod1reel
Fishing with flair
Flukemaster

I watch all those when I get bored haha. They cover everything from gear, to techniques, to weather/conditions etc...
>>
>>665175
>Most jurisdictions do not allow use of live bait like

in Ontario law is you need to be within 100 feet of your line with a machine, and 50 feet if walking, which is easy enough
>>
>>666015
I think he meant live bait is illegal, but it's allowed in most of Southern Ontario outside zone 15.

While I was looking that up I discovered this:
http://www.tackleshare.com/
basically they'll lend a fishing rod to kids and noobs.
>>
>>666156
I'm zone 14

what's up with zone 15?`
>>
>>666843
>what's up with zone 15?`
My guess is since it's more or less the start of the Canadian Shield, and centered on the Algonquin Dome headwaters, maybe the lakes are more sensitive to invasive baitfish.
>>
>>666851
the 'minnows' i use are smelt, which are native to the great lakes. I fish mostly on Georgian Bay.
It makes sense to prohibit live bait for invasive species control
Thread posts: 83
Thread images: 30

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.