[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>You have been rated qualified and referred for the position

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: dcnr_003610.jpg (43KB, 744x220px) Image search: [Google]
dcnr_003610.jpg
43KB, 744x220px
>You have been rated qualified and referred for the position of Wildland Firefighter (Range/Forestry Aid/Technician), GS-03

So by just knowing math I got rated at level 3.
What am I getting myself into?
Did I apply to a /out/ job?
>>
It's more out than most jobs, but it's not at all being close to nature.

Prepare to have your world turned upside down with the politics of the fire service. It's the most disheartening experience of my life. The system is so broken, and inefficient it's a literal waste of tax payer money.

Did 3 seasons, one as a captain, and had to report a guy for swimming while we were on the clock. He got fired on the spot.

It's boring as shit, and the work is pretty demanding in waves. Also you don't get to choose your company, and that makes or breaks the job.

Have fun your first year. Don't lose sight that your position is being happy to be on a big red truck. Then get out before it taints you.
>>
>>664201
Damn son you sound bitter as coffee.
Really bummed me out.

I just wanted to chop trees and throw flares into the woods
>>
>>664201
damn, what agency/park/forest did you work for? All the fire guys I know love their job. Also...wouldn't swimming on the clock, you know, be highly discouraged?

Most of fire seems not to mind doing PT and tool maintenance when they're not on actually on a fire.
>>
>>664209
>I just wanted to chop trees and throw flares into the woods

they usually call me for that.

you need a load of useless paperwork to clarify you're a 'ecological' gardener and a degree in botany for that.

it's terrible work, but it pays well, they're whiny cunts about everything and will be right up your dick if you forget to lay a single twig where they want it to be.

and like every other tree that's in the fucking way is monumental even though they have to be 100+ years for that and they're often not, and besides there's no one that's going to look at individual fucking trees because they're 'monumental' anyway,
>>
>>664232
you also need to fill in a shit ton of paperwork to chop them down.

>and then fat cunts that are with the organisation come and take all of the useful wood and burn it.

luckily I managed to sneak out like 10 cubic metres worth of nice oak wood.
>>
>>664232
>they usually call me for that.
No they dont
>>
>>665023
they don't do it themselves if that's what you're thinking.
>>
>>665025
Are you seriously suggesting the forest service's sawyers don't cut down trees? or cut down dozens of them on a line if the need arises?
>>
>>665025
Fucking trip fags
>>
>>665026
they don't here in the first world, you need a license for that and they generally don't have one.
>>
>>665046
You're pretty retarded
>>
>>665051
quality post.
>>
File: Fire.jpg (798KB, 1200x801px) Image search: [Google]
Fire.jpg
798KB, 1200x801px
>>664156
Congrats OP, it is an awesome job and career. Which state will you be working in?
It is an /out/ job but in a special way. You will get the opportunity to hike and just be outdoors a lot. And then there's the fires, where you get to go to all the places in the wilderness you could ever want to go... except it's on fire...

>>664201
I hate to say it man but it sounds like you had a shitty experience, and an experience that I would say is the opposite of the norm. I'm a wildland firefighter for four years and I never not looked forward to going to work. The caveat being that the department may have a lot to do with it and I don't work for the USFS or one of the other federal agencies like it sounds like you may have or the OP. But, my job is never boring. If we're not on a major incident we are still always doing something... And we are an all risk department so while our main priority is vegetation fires, we still respond to medical, TCs, rescues and everything else. But we do prescribed burns, vegetation management projects, we hike all the time, get paid to lift weights. As far as major incidents go, I went to 13 major campaign fires this summer, and countless initial attack fires... we had surprisingly little down time.

>>664233
Maybe it's dependent on state but here as long as you have a faller card, you can pretty much drop whatever is at or below your faller level. I have cut down countless trees this year, on and off of the fire line. We do sometimes, USFS included, call saw teams occasionally if there is a hazard tree that is out of the classification of anyone present, but that is rare. Most of the hand crews usually have a C-Tree Faller. There are some special cases where explosives or other special equipment is needed, but i don't see it often.

Pic related, my engine at a fire this summer. Best fire I've ever been on.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.