[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are Timberlands as good as people say they are?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 19

Are Timberlands as good as people say they are?
>>
Pretty comfy, but! I just blew apart two pairs in a year and a half. I had the steel trax and the direct attach.
Personally bro, I wouldn't buy em man. Put that money towards something else higher end. I wish I had.... I bought two pairs in a buy one get one half off and thought I was going to be a great deal. In the end I just shoulda bought one good pair of boots. Looking at Ariats and Danners now. Prolly going to save up and get some when I can.
>>
Depends on what you want to do wirh them. As a everyday/work/trail boot they're great. I wouldn't go scrambling over granite tarns and back country scree fields with them, though.
>>
>>659458
Let me add to my post here that the ones in your picture... (I think they're the direct attach 6") are completely water proof up to the laces. I work in a bakery so I'm not scrambling over rocks all the time but I DO go out and do a fuck load of walking. I wore these bitches out.
>>
I too am looking for büts. I don't need anything crazy hardcore, just something that can withstand a couple big hikes a year, lots of "around town" urbex/woods stuff, campouts, and shitty weather. I've been using Skechers because they're comfy, somewhat /fa/, and hold-up fair as work boots... but I'm not sure if I can spend less for more. Cumpfy is a big priority.

Pic relates, not sure if I should buy or not
>>
File: IMG_0173 (1).jpg (3MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0173 (1).jpg
3MB, 2448x3264px
>>659454
My Tims have been good to me. Most comfortable footwear I own.
>>
>>659454
why not just buy merrels / columbia entry level trackers that are alot cheaper or something like IOWA if you're willing to spend?

The thing about timberlands is that you can wear them incity and look well
>>
Really the most important aspect is how they look. Tims look great. You'll mostly be walking around town with them so you can't look like you just got back hiking the PCT.
>>
Like the other anons said, it you plan to wear them in the city, they are much better than other brands. I Sometimes wear my lowas if I'm in a hurry to get some errands done, and they are not low profile. It doesn't help that the desert tan ones were the only ones available when I was buying them.
>>
i've had 2 pairs of timbs since i was 15 years old. the first lasted til i was 20. 4 years of ground crew maintenance work, i'm 25 now still going strong with the second pair. i've been a hobo for 6 years. 5 years of 24/7 365 /out/ and my second pair of boots ever is still going hard as fuck. never had any problems and they are by far and wide the most comfy things ive ever put on my feet. the only reason i got rid of the first pair was because they got a hole in the material over the steel toe and started leaking water.
not to say other boots don't have their merits, but it's timbs for me until i find something better/the same but more aesthetically pleasing.
>>
File: 9530A214-HERO.jpg (34KB, 544x544px) Image search: [Google]
9530A214-HERO.jpg
34KB, 544x544px
>>659454
desu senpai, these are god mode.
>>
>>659464

Those should hold up well as work boots.

>provided you work somewhere you don't need to wear work boots.
>>
>>659624
thank you anon for the earnest reply. your insight and assistance will be cherished for all time <3

https://youtu.be/9hysdyVGpsE
>>
>>659492
>this
>>
>>659598

I cant wait to find you and beat you to death.

You'll make good coyote food.
>>
>>659668
Beating me to death is a huge stretch, you'll need to shoot my dog first, in fact you'll need to shoot us both.
>>
File: canvas.png (219KB, 380x380px) Image search: [Google]
canvas.png
219KB, 380x380px
Jumping in this thread instead of making a new one.
Looking at first pair of hiking boots, would these be alright for doing 3 day trips? They're Danner 453's.
>>
>>659480
I really like my Timberlands as well. My first pair made it about 2 years of daily wear inna and outta woods. I'm on my second pair, had them for over 2 years at this point and they're nearing the end of their life. Both brands were "Earthkeepers" or whatever. A lot of people complain that the soles come unglued, but that has never happened to me. I wear them every day and walk quite a bit, so I'm not sure if people have been getting lemons or maybe walking around in acid or something. After about 2 years, the soles become pretty heavily worn down. It doesn't really bother me, as the boots still look great, but that's about when I know it's time to replace them. Can't find any good deals on a new pair yet, so I'm thinking about getting them resoled or just holding out for a few more months. Not ideal, but they're really comfy and good looking boots, I just hate to toss them.
>>
OP here, thanks for all the comments so far & others feel free to post your questions as well. Will keep monitoring the thread!
>>
I had a pair of timberland boots I used for maintence work and they really aren't capable of standing up to working environments. They are a nice style but they are only for show and not for work
>>
File: 47028210-HERO.jpg (120KB, 920x920px) Image search: [Google]
47028210-HERO.jpg
120KB, 920x920px
Not quite the same, but I had two separate pairs of timberland pros get split soles on the outside of the toe box. It took a while to happen, but its pretty depressing when it does.

I needed a shoe that looked alright in the office as well as out on a route.
>>
>>659454
Nah. I prefer wolverine. Last pair I had lasted seven years, I wore em nearly every day for work, hiking, and backpacking. Go to a military surplus store to get em cheap. I just got a pair of Wolverine Raiders, so far so good. Have taken them 20 miles in the past couple days, my feet don't hurt. Plus, they're waterproof.
>>
>>659492

Strictly nig tier.

Only day labourers wear them.

Get a pair of Magnum Response II 8" and kick some hoodlum ass.
>>
File: baffin_pro.jpg (145KB, 1500x1278px) Image search: [Google]
baffin_pro.jpg
145KB, 1500x1278px
Lowa Baffin Pros are really popular with people who work in the wilderness, second only to White's (wildland firefighting favorite).
>>
>>659454
I like mine. Comfortable, cheap, and pretty durable thus far.
>>
>>659492
I just looked up Merrel and Columbia boots on Amazon. They were all as expensive or more expensive than Timberlands, and they looked all looked like Austim: The Shoe. Timberlands are attractive and not that expensive, don't hate.
>>
>>659454
I have high-volume, wide feet. Timberland Titan Toe are the most comfortable steel-toed boots I've ever owned. When I took a couple of kids to Big Bend a couple of years back I wound up having to wear my work boots because one of my hikers got messed up the day before the trip. Hiked around ten miles in three days (not a ton, but I had kids with me and you don't push them too much when so they'll enjoy the experience and get hooked on hiking) with no complaints. In the mountains in the desert in steel toes.

But remember, the best boot is the one that fits your foot best. All other factors are very secondary to that. If it feels good, wear it.
>>
>>659454
For the last decade I've nothing but timberland. No shit, my mates even mock me for it because I won't wear amything else. Quality, comfortable and stylish footwork at a reasonable price.
>>
>>661110
*worn
>>
There are two threads about this particular boot on this board right now. I am guessing the reason for this is because almost all hiking boots look like something a ten year old would wear, and you wouldn't want to be seen wearing them in town or anywhere other than the woods.

They do not necessarily make for good hiking boots. But I have had three pairs. Let me tell you what I think about them.
Other people have told me that they hurt their feet just wearing them in town or on construction sites. If your feet are similar(probably narrow with a high arch), then they might be uncomfortable for you as well.

But for me(someone with a flat, wide foot), they are pretty great.

One pair that were already old and worn out, were pretty beat up after walking one mile straight up and straight down a mountain.

I walked twelve miles in a swamp with a newer pair, and they performed pretty great.
1) because they are completely waterproof
2) because I wear nice socks, and changed my socks after six miles

My feet hurt like hell the rest of the afternoon. Not so much because of the boots. But because I had not really walked that far before.

Not great or ideal for hiking. But I will continue to wear them until I find something better.
Again, why are almost all hiking boots ugly as shit space boots with a metal emblem on the side to let the world know they are waterproof?
>>
I thought my tims were great until I got a pair of danners. Mountain light is objectively superior boot. You'll know where the money went after the first year
>>
File: BasedGramps.jpg (169KB, 945x600px) Image search: [Google]
BasedGramps.jpg
169KB, 945x600px
>>659464
>wearing skechers
>not getting the light up ones
people still wear skechers?
>>
File: DARGRE.jpg (124KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
DARGRE.jpg
124KB, 900x900px
I got a pair of Lowa Camino GTX for about $145USD.

Seem cool so far, haven't really taken them /out/ yet.
>>
>>662862
just got a pair of danners in the mail
look good as fuck, feel pretty good too. currently breaking them in, and hoping they get mad comfy.
>>
>>659498
Who is that boner condoner?
>>
File: image.jpg (966KB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
966KB, 2592x1936px
>>659624
Really though. I got mine Christmas '14 and the rubber at the toe is already pulling away from the leather. For $100 bucks you should get more than a year of easy hiking
>>
>>664776
They are sexy though
>>
>>664776
I really can't figure out what you people do to your boots. I've had 2 pairs. Both of those pairs lasted me 2+ years before the soles showed serious wear and needed to be replaced. I wore them daily and went hiking in them. I've never had an issue with sole separation, and the Timberlands I bought were the "earth keeper" brand.

Can you tell me more about where you live? I'm in Texas and it gets pretty hot, but not very cold. Maybe the glue they use is sensitive to the cold? Did you get them wet very often? Mine were kept pretty dry. Do you wear them as daily shoes or are they for hiking only?
>>
I got a pair of timberlands pro series boots because I started doing more real work and some masonry and steel toes=bricks dont crush toes. But recently there's been a massive increase in people wearing timerlands as a fashion statement at my school. Of course I use mine AS work boots so they're beat up but I hate feeling like im lumped into the white girl fashion crowd
>>
>>659598
Hi Ryan.
>>
>>664825
I'm in Tennessee so it's probably not the cold. I do get them wet but it's not like I abuse them, I only wear them camping/hiking and have put less than 100miles worth of wear. I'm just gonna shoe-glue another year out of them..
>>
Still monitoring, thanks for the second batch of replies!
>>
>>659498
Who is this sæmon dæmon?
>>
>>661115
this.

I don't get it either. It's like they are having a competition going on to make the worlds ugliest boot. It's not just boots though, i feel most outdoor clothing is ugly as fuck.
> in before only faggots care what they look like in the woods.
A typical trip for me includes hitchhiking, cities, parties, museums, multi-day nature treks.
It really sucks if i have to carry an extra pair of boots and pants when i'm already carrying food and shelter and i'm hiking up mountains for 5 days in row.
If they would just make affordable nice boots and pants i could climb a 4000 meter high mountain with and wear the next day to celebrate at a party...
>>
>>665064
Hey, I'm a cobbler and that separation has been happening to so many newer types of shoes. It has to be the glue from the factory, we tell people to take them back if they are reasonably new
>>
>>665064
Yeah it seems like that's pretty mild for a boot. I owned a pair of Justin boots back in HS and had the soles separate on me. Actually, I owned two pairs. The first pair's soles just crumbled into nothing within a few weeks, while the second pair had pretty severe separation occur in the sole after a few weeks. Both were used pairs, not sure how old by the time I picked them up.

Like I said, both of my Timberlands were the "earth keeper" variety. Those are known to have issues with sole longevity, and some people report separation. But I wore each pair for about 2 years and it was only really towards the end that I had the soles really degrade to worthless.

Side note, I'm cheap as fuck so I'd say that by 1.5 years the boots showed heavy tread wear, by the 2+ year mark, the heel had holes worn into it that exposed the air cushion. Though even by that point they were still comfy as fuck, and the leather on top looked fine. I could've replaced the soles and gone for many more years, but I opted to replace the boot instead.
>>
File: 033.jpg (8KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
033.jpg
8KB, 275x183px
Timberlands are absolutely a meme; they're worthless as anything other than a fashion statement is BS. Any true outdoorsman would buy Rocky boots.

There's a reason why rappers are wearing them. Is it because they're durable? No. It's all a fad.
>>
File: Timbs After 2 weeks.jpg (275KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Timbs After 2 weeks.jpg
275KB, 1024x768px
>>665785
Fuck wrong image and plus timbs wear out fast as fuck
>>
Bought a pair of goretex hiking boots, I think it's called abington, it's great, use it everyday for hiking, working and rucking.
Goretex is a huge benefit since I work in a kitchen
>>
>>665785
>There's a reason why rappers are wearing them. Is it because they're durable?
Rappers have been wearing them for decades mate. Its not because its a micro fashion fad. They're reasonably durable boots that look clean and simple. Dont be such a pansy bitch
>>
Just get some columbia's on amazon
>>
Looking for boot ideas here. I have a pair of Vasques that are on their last miles. I love them, will probably pick up another pair at some point, but I'm also looking for some heavier, all day every day boots. Currently looking at the Redwing 436 and the Danner Mountain Light II. I love the idea of being able to resole a pair of boots if they're that good.
>>
>>666983
rappers are the kind of people who only cares about looks
>>
>>668580
I like Thorogood boots. American made with a Goodyear storm welt for a really good price to quality ratio.
>>
>>668580
I just got a pair of Danners. Broke them in enough after a couple days. pretty comfy. a lot of places online say to size down- don't. I bought mine tts and they fit fine but I would not want them any smaller. if anything I'd consider sizing up a half size.
>>
DO NOT GET THE BEIGE COLOR ONES
I made that mistake and people think I'm some hipster or (African American)
>>
File: IMG_20160120_010022.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160120_010022.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
Idk what anybody else said, and idc

Red wings. The hype is real.

My first pair are still great except I destroyed the insoles after 6 years. The leather has stood up to acid, salt water, diesel, hfo, cleaning agents, abrasive dusts (metal shavings, concrete, fiberglass) and literal shit. The non slip tread is next level, to the point of getting decent traction on ice. Longer most quality boots they're waterproof up to the laces. If you're /out/ for work, these are the boots

Despite their appearance, mine are still waterproof and insulating
>>
File: IMG_0097.jpg (634KB, 1200x995px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0097.jpg
634KB, 1200x995px
>>669714
Don't you ever wax/fat/... them? Pic related my 10 year old army boots (granted I don't wear them daily), they're now more fucked up on the inside than on the outside
Back when I had conscription, some guys had them trashed on the outside after just 3 months (with same usage as everyone else) because they never treated them at all
>>
>>659454
owned two pairs, both came apart by the sole after around one year of use. they are also some of the most slippery boots i've ever worn on ice.
>>
>>670186
No because it's highly flammable and there are a lot of high heat sources in my work

I know it probably wouldn't cause them to light up, but it's not worth the risk
>>
>>670493
Wut? Once dried even if it has organic solvents, once they're evaporated, wax/fats have a flash point of >200°C, probably higher than the leather itself - you have different problems if your shoes get anywhere near that hot
>>
>>670720
>>670493
Also, used mine a lot near bonfires, even trampling out glooming wood, never caught fire
>>
>>659454
get a pare of mr miles, comfy AF and a pretty high profile
>>
>>670720
>200°c

Steam plants tend to operate a bit higher temperatures than that and outright untreated leather has an ignition point of 475°c based on this safety study.

http://www.cueronet.com/auqtic/Oral%2520Presentations/Improved%2520Process%2520Chemistry(Post%2520Tanning)/Nr%252013%2520-%2520flammability%2520and%2520flame%2520retardancy%2520of%2520leather.pdf&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwjv-fX7-LvKAhVnuYMKHSgPBcQQFggLMAA&usg=AFQjCNHCICmOfdpbYwl64UOdnc01zIvq-Q

Basically your clothes should light up before your boots do. Combine with wax/fats being a class 3 (out of 4) flammable substance and again, I'd rather just leave them looking like shit than risk going up however small the risk may be (because obviously I'm not walking around in multi hundred degrees c rooms)
>>
>>670817
(Your link 404s on me)
Yeah but flash point =/= autoignition temp
Even if some sparks from welding or shit land on your waxed boots, they won't catch fire, flash point means that the whole boot has to be previously heated to >200°C until a spark could ignite it. Ever tried to light a candle without wick? Same shit, you only get wax burning if you throw it right into a bonfire or a wood-fired oven
>>
>>670820
Let me try again

It's not the flash point, it's the ignition temperature, where the leather starts a sustained burn

https://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.cueronet.com/auqtic/Oral%2520Presentations/Improved%2520Process%2520Chemistry(Post%2520Tanning)/Nr%252013%2520-%2520flammability%2520and%2520flame%2520retardancy%2520of%2520leather.pdf&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwjv-fX7-LvKAhVnuYMKHSgPBcQQFggLMAA&usg=AFQjCNHCICmOfdpbYwl64UOdnc01zIvq-Q>>670820

It should Open a PDF file
>>
>>670823
OK will have a look at it. But again, the >200°C for wax I referred to is the flash point, of course for any given substance the autoignition temp is considerably higher, for wax and fats it should be in the >400°C range, similar to leather (for comparison paper autoignites already at around 200°C)
t. chemistry student working part time in a HSE department of a big chemical company
>>
>>669714
I'm >>661102. My feet are wide at the front, kinda like duck feet. I can't even special order redwings that won't hurt after I've worn them a few days, their safety caps are too narrow. After the second fail, the guy in the local redwings shop and I both gave up. Timberlands or Twisted X are both more comfortable if you don't have skinny feet.

>>667998
I'm on my second pair of Columbia mid-hikers and I love them.
>>
>>659454
I got my pair for $60 on a payless shoes clearance rack years ago.

I wear them nearly every day during winter, and during the summer when I go hiking. They've survived 5 Wisconsin winters and 2 summers hiking all around Alaska.

Quality shoes. They're worn in perfectly but not showing any signs of failure yet. I expect to get another 2 years out of them at least.

Seriously recommend, not shilling. Make sure you don't get the apparel line though, I hear they don't last.
>>
File: IMG_20160123_020104.jpg (2MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160123_020104.jpg
2MB, 4160x3120px
>>671865
Pics for proof
>>
File: IMG_20160123_020038.jpg (2MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160123_020038.jpg
2MB, 3120x4160px
>>671867
>>
>>671865
Is "apparel" a specific line?
>>
File: LLteeTimberlands1.jpg (264KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
LLteeTimberlands1.jpg
264KB, 1200x800px
>>671923
are you you serious? No. Some people wear timberlands for style instead of for practicality. Don't get the kind that are worn for style. Pic related.
>>
>>672363
Middle one actually looks cool
The other two need to stay in the basement browsing /fa/
>>
zambalands, asolos, scarpas.

need no more.
>>
I love my Scarpa Kailash GTX. Light but tough and durable, and no break-in required.

And most importantly because I have narrow feet, Scarpa makes shoes that aren't too wide, unlike companies that cater strictly to the Amerifat market.
>>
>>672369
That's because the middle one is Kanye, god of hip-hop and fashion.
>>
File: 2016-01-26 15.39.45.jpg (2MB, 1823x2580px) Image search: [Google]
2016-01-26 15.39.45.jpg
2MB, 1823x2580px
>>659454
Had mine for about 4 and half years now and they're my favorite work/activity boot. Steel toed and heavy, I they still refuse to die.
>>
Fuck it lets go for a one month life
I got attached to this thread now
Its been open in a tab all this time
Thread posts: 79
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.