[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

TYDK - /out/ Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 2

File: Tulipmania.jpg (132KB, 307x464px) Image search: [Google]
Tulipmania.jpg
132KB, 307x464px
Can we have a Things-You-Didn't-Know thread?

/out/ seems calk-full of interesting characters who have learned a thing or two that most of us will never know.

Rules are simple: Keep it short and informative.
>>
I'll start.

You can sense a storm's movement when you feel a temp drop. This means you are in the path of the storm due to low Atmospheric Pressure and you should find shelter.
>>
if you cut the head off a snake it can still bite

Take this in every literal and figurative form possible.
>>
>>659264
No matter where you go keep 20 meters of 550 cord on your person
>>
>>659269
wow i didnt know that. thats an interesting fact
>>
>>659270
pls don't be cheeky

he tried when you didn't
>>
When the sun is two hand widths from the horizon, it's time to make camp. You have 2-2.5 hours before sundown, which is long enough to pitch tent / gather firewood / start cooking dinner.
>>
>>659286
Why would you need 2 hours to make camp? Are you digging a fucking fox hole?

Also; how long until dark with 1 hand width?

Great info either way. Never thought of it.
>>
>>659300
I think it is around 45 minutes
>>
The strongest knot you can ever tie is a square knot. When pulled it will tighten the knot itself.
>>
>>659300
It's around 15 minutes per finger width along the arc of the sun. Now you can do calculations for however long.
>>
>>659264

Water almost always worsens the pain felt where touched by stinging vegetation.
>>
>>659322
Is it true if you pee on yourself that it will subside the painful sensation?

>>659310
Not really. The closer the sun gets to the horizon the faster it drops.

Nice broscience your handing out there.
>>
Put sticks in your boots and badgers won't break your bones
>>
>>659324
>can hold hands steady reliably enough to count time father from sunset than four hours
It's a general guideline. Where's your provided content? Do you have anything juicy for us, or are you just a little basement faggot who's angry because no more tendies from mom coz she ran out of food stamps buying candy bars and butter to maintain her ship shape?
>>
Damp Moss makes the best toilet paper. Seriously.

Grab a clump all the way to the dirt, and wipe with the spongy side. Less invasive than burying toilet paper, and as good as a wet wipe.
>>
>>659332
>implying a little bitch rodent could break my leg

o i am laffing
>>
When travelling on a cornice, stay on the winward side of the edge. The snow on the leeward side will be loser and more prone to avalanche.
>>
One of the simplest ways to make a quick torch is to rip the bark off of a birch tree, it will spiral up by itself, all you need to do is wrap it around a stick and light it up
>>
when you feel that you get a blister do tape it ASAP
>>
A mix of baking soda and cornstarch can be used to help prevent chaffing, blisters, trench foot and can be used as an antimicrobial clotting agent for small cuts.
>>
>>659438
Dude I use this as deoderant by using coconut oil as a base then add a bit of lavender oil
>>
>>659446
It's pretty great stuff and dirt cheap to boot.
>>
When buying fitting a backpack, you need to measure the distance between you C7 vertebrae (the one that makes a bump when you put your chin down) and your illiac crest (the butterfly shaped bone on the top of your hips). This will give you torso length, compare that to the pack specifications and you can determine if you need a small, medium or large size.
>>
>>659448
Yeah man. We kinda just got into this stuff. Always have been concience of purchases. But yesterday we started making our own shit. My wife bought 15$ worth of supplies and made roughly 8 months of laundry detergent
>>
>>659286
About fifteen minutes per finger. But you've usually got an extra hour of light from when the sun first touches the horizon.

>>659334
Can verify. But I prefer fresh pine moss, unless there's some mullien around. Nothing beats to gentle touch of mullien.

>>659461
I just pack some fels naptha. I cut down the bar for shorter trips. Just put some water in a dry bag, rub the soap between your hands, and when the water is slightly cloudy toss in your clothes and shake up the bag. I find it cleans better than my crappy HE washer at home.

-break dry wood across a log or tree instead of wasting time cutting it.

-even in wind, valleys are colder than hilltops. Stay about two-thirds of the way up the side of a valley to stay warmest.
>>
>>659461

>$15 for 8 months of detergent

Congratulations on being an idiot.

You could have bought a years worth of real detergent anywhere for less. They list the price right on the shelves its like 8 to 12 cents per load. Bonus is your clothes get clean
>>
>>659518
Does the 2/3 up the hillside also go for winter/spring time?
>>
You can use Doritos as kindling. They burn for a really long time
>>
>>659560
As the cold air settles in the valley, anywhere above the valley mouth will be warmer. I don't believe there's any reason the applicable physics would different based on season, but other factors may apply.
>>
>>659553
Don't feed the trolls
>>
>>659461
Dude how can you make laundry detergent out of baking soda and corn starch?

Kind of seems like your close would smell weird as fuck afterwards.
>>
>>659518
What do you mean by break dry wood?
>>
>>659308
Not true, they have a tendency to capsize.
http://www.animatedknots.com/reef/index.php
>>
>>659616
>capsize
You sound fucking retarded
>>
>>659623
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knot#Capsizing

I'd rather sound retarded than actually be retarded. I'm sure you'll be able to handle all these big words if you just hunker down and practice a bit each day.
>>
>>659641
I'd give your banter a C-
>>
You can father more children if you don't wear rubbers.

If your hand are cold, put a hat on.

Eating for will abate hunger pains.

Reading is fundemental.

All lives matter.

Dinosaurs died for your oil.

It's a small world, after all.

Where there is smoke, there is fire.

Fat chicks give better head.

Blue waffles taste great!

He's not heavy, he's my brother.

Give an inch and they will take a mile.

The deck chairs on the Titantic were perfectly fine chairs.

Wine is fine, but liquor is quicker.
>>
>>659611
Take a fallen branch and swing the last 18 inches of it like a bat against a tree. If it's good, dry wood it's break off. If it doesn't break then it's too green. Much easier than sawing or hacking at it with a camp axe, plus it saves the carry weight of unnecessary and heavy tools.
>>
>>659715
> assuming

What type of wood, Ponderosa Pine, Utah Juniper, Live Oak?

Putz.
>>
>>659725
This. Juniper doesn't break for shit, even when it's completely dry. It just splits and bounces off whatever you hit. Cedar isn't much better, and when you're cutting thick branches, like >8", pretty much any kind of wood will just kind of *thud* and you'll tire yourself out before you make any progress. The method does have its merits, but it's not as useful as >>659715
is implying
>>
>>659725
>>659730
You're right. I live in the inland northwest, so it rare to see anything besides pine and cedar, which both drop branches that this works with. I tend to forget that there's actually forests where it's all solid hardwoods. So thanks for clarifying.
>>
>>659264
Sleeping on snow is actually incredibly comfortable as long as you have a good sleeping pad and bag. You can mold your sleeping surface to the shape of your body. It's almost like sleeping in a hammock, if the snow is deep enough and you do a good enough job shaping.
>>
>>659755
> i would shape a giant snow vagina and sleep in it

Going snow camping! Thx, anon!
>>
>>659712
xDD
>>
Moss grow on the megnetic north side of trees.
>>
>>659324
> not really. The closer the sun gets to the horizon the faster it drops.

How is that? Is the earth gonna spin a bit faster when it's 6 pm on your clock because you have special broscience?

No it doesn't. It may look like it but it would be an illusion because when the sun is close to the horizon you have a reference for its movement.
>>
>>659653
>C-
This is an 18+ website.
>>
>>660157
Moss isn't magnetic. It grows on the shaded side of trees; north in northern hemisphere, south in southern hemisphere. Unless in a valley/adjacent to a mountain/side of a cliff/ in front of a building/too close to another tree, etc.

>>660171
Same reason the moon looks bigger when its closer to the horizon.

Since we're on astronomy, here's another: you can tell time by ursa major (big dipper). It rotates counterclockwise around the north star exactly once each day (purely by coincidence...). The adverse would apply to the southern constellations as well.
>>
>>660179
> taking mossy bait
> and since wur onna stonomy

Tank you, perfesser!
>>
>>660179
He didn't say miss was magnetic, he said it was megnetic. Big difference retard.
>>
>>660431
> can't spell moss
> can't spell magnetic the same way twice in one post

Ok.

Actually stated it grows on the "megnetic" north side of trees.

You are too ashamed to admit it generally does.
>>
Mosquitoes have an aversion to Vanilla
>>
>>660179

> Same reason the moon looks bigger when its closer to the horizon

Yes and like i said it is an illusion. Their angular size(your fingers with at arm's length) doesn't change, and neither does their path of elevation, so time till sunset with measuring the path by using your fingers at arm's length won't change.

https://www.quora.com/Why-does-the-Sun-appear-bigger-during-sunrise-and-sunset-than-at-noon
> their angular size in the sky doesn't change with their elevation above the horizon
>>
>>660444
But it attracts bears.
>>
>>663016
But everybody here says bears are pussies?

I hate 'skeeters!
>>
This shoud be archived.
>>
most plants don't produce flowers and fruit because they're doing well, it's the opposite.
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.