[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm going camping soon. 1. What are the best socks for

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_20150629_093146.jpg (456KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150629_093146.jpg
456KB, 1536x2048px
I'm going camping soon.

1. What are the best socks for hiking? Why?
2. What is your favorite camping food?
3. Do you use your smartphone camping? (GPS, books)
5. How do you poop innawoods?

Thanks in advance.
>>
>>657300
Car camping on a designated spot, ie state campground?

Or backpacking /bushwhacking?
>>
1. I like you use synthetic socks during the day. They dry out quicker
2. I like those Knorr sidekicks, and I usually mix in some meat and other vegetables. its a bit of a pain in the ass to clean the pot though
3.yes. usually just to take pictures, but i guess it could be used as a gps or even as backup flashlight.
4. ???
5. in the creek
>>
>>657302
Deep innawoods of a national forest
>>
>>657300
>1. What are the best socks for hiking? Why?
doesn't matter that much but synthetic material hiking socks will cost you maybe 15 bucks and they dry much quicker

>2. What is your favorite camping food?
sunflower seeds, dried fruits (dates, apricots, grapes), salami, muesli bars, jerky etc
I personally never carry a stove to save weight and time

>3. Do you use your smartphone camping? (GPS, books)
Yes. I carry a map+compass, then my phone with pre-loaded maps both satellite and terrain. Plus and extra battery cap. No need to be more "real", GPS is awesome and you should use it.

>5. How do you poop innawoods?
Now that question is worth 20 threads by itself. Bring TP. Some areas have DESIGNATED camping sites which sometimes have a toilet. Otherwise find a designated shitting log, sit over it. It kind of takes the right size of log though. Otherwise just squat. Never near water.
>>
File: 41UAe9LbBYL._SS500_.jpg (19KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
41UAe9LbBYL._SS500_.jpg
19KB, 500x500px
>>657329
basically what this anon said

As far as food goes though I do bring a small cup of some sort I can heat in the fire for things like soup / oatmeal. Depending on how long you camp its nice to have a warm meal or drink sometimes.
>>
>>657300
I've been using Ecosox the hiking kind that are ankle high or so and they are pretty comfy and form fitting if you pick the right size. Only gotten a blister once with them and hiked 50+ miles in them.

I usually take tuna and crackers.

I use it for music if I bring a speaker / hate my shoulders.

In Cat holes 50 ft+ from trails.
>>
File: image.jpg (45KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
45KB, 1280x720px
Pic related
>>
File: sfds.png (12KB, 787x341px) Image search: [Google]
sfds.png
12KB, 787x341px
>>657300

Always aim downhill.
>>
Catholes. Any other answere is wrong.

Dig a small hole. Shit in it. Use leaves as TP. Stir shit and soul with stick. Cover hole.

If you're a pussy that insists on using toilet paper, stir and bury it with your shit. Don't be an asshole that lets your shit coveredTP blow around the woods
>>
>>657303
Please tell me you don't actually shit in creeks when you camp
>>
>>657365
This. Cat holes or the designated latrine/bathroom. Don't you fucking dare leave some nasty human shit pile for me to find while I gather firewood.
>>
>>657300
>Socks
Wool boot socks, you cAn get them in varied thickness for different seasons
>food
I just bring MREs or canned stuff, I'm not very /out/, and I don't have the necessary cooking equipment
>Phone
I bring it for emergency communications, I bring a battery pack that will charge it to 1.5 times of a full charge, and I keep it off until I need it.
>Poop
Dig a hole with an e-tool, poop in it, fill the hole.
>>
>>657300
1.for me it depends on if I am hiking on a trail of off of a trail. On trail Starter Men's Crew Socks, off trail Dickies Men's Boot Length Crew Socks.
2.My mix, it's walnuts, grapes, hazelnuts, dried apple chips, dried banana chips, pretzels, and chia seeds.
3.The only electronics I bring are a pocket camera and a headlight, always have a bible in my pack.
5.Climb the tallest tree I can find and off of the edge.
>>
>>657300
1. Mid weight merino wool, regardless of brand. If it is very hot: light weight. Very cold: heavy weight. But mid covers the most range.

2. Heather's Choice dehydrated meals. But I am shilling because she if my GF and the shit is expensive. If car or boat camping, bacon; eggs; fry bread, etc etc.

3. GPS. Games just before I sleep. Music once in a while.

5. Squat; bang it /out/; wipe. If in camp I bury it if on trail just kick some leaves or dirt on it if available.
>>
>>657373
Hello newfriend
>>
>>657300
>1. What are the best socks for hiking?
Silkweight poly for warm weather, silkweight poly and lightweight wool for cool weather and heavy merino over silkweight poly for winter.

>Why?
The usual reasons anyone uses layering.

>2. What is your favorite camping food?
Peanut butter.

>3. Do you use your smartphone camping? (GPS, books)
No, and if you rely on your cell phone for GPS then you probably deserve to get lost and die. I bring my GPSMAP 62S for GPS (plus half a dozen batteries, just in case) and my e-reader for books.

Very comfortably, thanks.
>>
>>657300
1. Inner synthetic, outer wool
2. Ramen. High calories to weight ratio
3. Never. Smartphones are for hipsters and faggots
4. Yes
5. Dig a hole. Pack out TP if >10,000ft
>>
If you are in a campground, sneak out early in the morning and take a shit next to the tent of anyone who brought their dog camping. Maybe drizzle some bacon grease or peanut butter on the shit. When they let the dog out in the morning the dog will gobble your shit and give its shitty owner a nice surprise
>>
>>658032
Slippery wet dog poop
>>
>>657300
quite honestly if you are asking how to poop, you really shouldn't be going in deep.

If you insist (and you'll probably die) I recommend baby wipes. Nothing worse than a shitty dirty a-hole and irritation since you won't be showering.

good luck OP. Don't die.
>>
1. I'm really not sure. I do most of my hiking in sandals, but with cold weather or technical terrain I use the appropriate thickness wool.

2. Green coffee beans, roasted over the fire. Not really food, but I don't camp without it.

3. I don't even own a smart phone... I do bring a small paperback with me if I'm going to be /out/ for a few days though.

4/5. Walk out at least 100' from trail or water. Acquire a downed log of the appropriate size and height from the ground that has either smooth bark or no bark. Attempt to dig a hole. After an inch of dirt give up on digging and resort to pulling rocks out of the ground with my hands. Shit in hole and recover it with rocks and dirt.
>>
>>657300
1.Multiple pairs, wool is nice
2.pre-preped onions,peppers, ground beef etc and rice.
3.Smartphone airplane only (camera) GPS, 2 paper back books.
4.Multiple Guns
5. Folding shovel glock tool, wet wipes, (1)paperback books
>>
>>657300

If you're asking these questions, I really hope you're just car camping, or camping with some one who knows how to camp, hike, etc. Cause if you're asking how to just take a shit in the woods, it means you're retarded,
>>
>>658887
I don't think it's all that crazy to ask proper etiquette. Fuck off.
>>
>>658887
I have gone camping and still have never shit in the woods. My white privilege of using indoor plumbing my whole life doesn't make retarded.
>>
File: He-Ather.jpg (48KB, 169x177px) Image search: [Google]
He-Ather.jpg
48KB, 169x177px
>>657396
Is this guy Heather?
>>
>>657886
>Ramen. High calories to weight ratio
Empty garbage calories - at least they are light
>>
>>658741
>pre-preped onions,peppers, ground beef...
Are you sure you're not headed to a picnic?
>>
Try to shit at least 50 ft. off of any trail, 100 ft. from streams, lakes.
>>
>>660362
>Empty garbage calories
What is a calorie?
>the amount of energy needed to raise the temperature of one gram of water by one degree Celsius at a pressure of one atmosphere
How is this more garbage than pemmican or sunflower seeds, two other winners in calories/weight
At least ramen is more easily digestible than either of them
>>
>>657300
>How do you poop innawoods?

Purchase a cheap spade and be sure to dig a hole. I know people suggest tp, but I've found that baby wipes are a lot more lenient on your bottom, especially if you have some raspy ass. Fill the hole back up, put a wipe on the dirt above your restroom and place a rock over the wipe. This will help you, your friends, or anyone else from accidentally stepping in that dirt.

I usually hike off trails for my job and while I still dig a hole, I usually find/build a natural chair. My first choice is to build a seat with smoother rocks that match in height. My second choice is to find the intersecting spot of two down trees. It creates a V that I can sit on.
>>
>>660537
>Calories are nutrition

Seriously m8?
>>
>>657300
>socks
Cotton/wool blend, but I hike innadesert mostly. They wick moisture well and my feet don't get too sweaty in them.

>camping food
Car camping, I'm a fucking gourmet. Hiking, lots of hard sausage, cheese, and things that are quick to cook. Dehydrated hash browns are easy and light if you have a water source. They're tasty with tomatoes and sausage or spam.

>smartphone camping
Hell no, I go /out/ to get away from electronics.

>pooping
Squat over a hole, wipe with the toilet paper sold for RVs because it degrades faster, fill hole.
>>
>>659955
lol no
>>
>>660566
How did this post, >>660537, say calories are nutrition?
It defines what a calorie is.
When going out for a long time without resupply, calories/weight is important.
Hitting your macros is less important
>>
>>657347
This guy wants to get eaten by a bear.

>>658887
This guy gets it.
>>
>>657329
make sure you check the labels for those dried fruits, btw. Most of them have a fucking ridiculous amount of sugar.
>>
>>657303
You're supposed to dig a hole and shit
>>
>>657300
1. Wool, but with sock liners. Exactly which ones is highly dependent on the individual. Bridgedale coolmax liners with darn tough socks.
2. Favorite car camping food is sausage/eggs cooked together served in a pocket pita. Mac n cheese with hot dogs cut up into it. Chicken a la king. One pan fajitas, etc. Dutch oven cobbler or corn bread.

For backpacking: Mountain house freeze dried is good. Trail snacks: Pepperoni with cheddar, slim jims with string cheese. Loose granola, chewy bars, cashew pieces (cheaper), occasional power bar, tootsie rolls, starburst, etc. Good for morale.

3. Smartphone might go, but it stays off and in a waterproof container in my pack. Map and compass typically for navigation. Don't read books.

5. I squat next to a tree, pack flushable wipes and cover it with dirt afterward. They sell plastic trowels that works great and weigh practically nothing. I get at least 100-200 feet away from the trail or campsite.
>>
>>657303
Damn you to hell. Dont listen to this guy. Do NOT shit in a creek.
>>
>>657329
Different anon here, but what applications do you sue for your pre loaded maps? I've been trying to find a good one for a bit now.

Also, salami and summer sausage are the shit when /out/, or beans!
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.