[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does a shut-in gamer like myself begin to learn the ways

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

File: 1440728842428.gif (457KB, 390x293px) Image search: [Google]
1440728842428.gif
457KB, 390x293px
How does a shut-in gamer like myself begin to learn the ways of /out/?

I'm tired of repeating the same process of school, vidya, eat like shit, gym, sleep. Want to get into hiking/camping. Any good sites/vids to better verse myself? Read most of the sticky now just need to find a starting point
>>
Bump. Fellow shut-in anon who wants to get /out/ more.
>>
Go for short walks at a local park as often as you can. Start planning longer hikes or day hikes and go from there. Camp sites or car camping could be a decent way to learn how to pitch camp, light a fire, etc. Looking up gear lists and that sort of thing helped me plan my first backpacking trip, but you certainly learn the most from your mistakes.
>>
>>657177
/thread
>>
File: cover.jpg (141KB, 800x535px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
141KB, 800x535px
Look up Shugemery on Youtube.

He has a whole series in how to hammock camp.

Hes a total cheeseball, but in kind of an endearing way. He does professional juggling if that gives you an idea of his personality.

Honestly though, it may help jump start your interest in hammock camping. It helped me, and I'm /out/ all the time in my hammock.

He also has videos of his trips. They're worth watching. Has a trip he went to -40F temp in Minnesota in a hammock. Crazy stuff.

Something else that helps.... just spend a few days here. Read about shit. Buy a morakniv. Just anything to get inspired. Start by buying hiking boots and walking around a state park. Bring a backpack. Put in a few snacks, bottle of water, and maybe a camera. You'll be surprised how calming it can be to just hike.

Don't worry about gear, tents, bushcraft knots, or any other bullshit. Just get some good shoes and hike. Hell, of you're on easy trails, just about any decent shoe will do.
>>
File: It's from Hot Fuzz you saucefag.gif (983KB, 500x200px) Image search: [Google]
It's from Hot Fuzz you saucefag.gif
983KB, 500x200px
>>657225
>juggling
>>
Look up some parks near you, and go for walks there. Stay on trail for a while to get a feel for it all/ to feed the hunger a bit.

Dig around in your parents' garage and try to find some equiptment. Most of my stuff i've gotten from my dad.

Find a campsite near you (if there are any) and bring some friends up there (if they're into that/ if you're hasfriends). That will be a safe place to learn things like making/cooking over fire, how cold it can get at night (and how much it sucks to be cold at night), what to pack, what to leave at home. After spot-camping (or whatever it's called here) has been accomplished and feels normal, venture innawoods and go for it.
>>
>>657177
This is pretty much it. It's hard to fuck up car camping. Your food is locked inside the care so you don't have to worry about stringing it up away from camp, etc. You get to bring a cooler. If you forget anything you can run into town.

Where are you OP?
>>
Fuck all previous responses. The only real way to git gud is to befriend outdoorsy people and accompany them, sapping all info from them you can. I did this at a outdoor club at my university and it worked great and made friends for life.
>>
>>657225
Cheers for the tip, m8. I've got a hammock setup in my backyard right now to get accustomed to it. But I don't know all that much about it.
I figured if I come to hate this cheap thing I haven't wasted warbonnet-tier money.
>>
>>657225
>hammock

Stopped reading right there you biolite faggot

Op anon, be careful on this board as many edgyfags will tell you the loop of good advice
>>
>>658047

Better to sleep on the floor than in a hammock? Not this guy, but generally don't like the idea of crawlers getting up in my shit.
>>
>>658063
>floor

Are you sleeping in a basement

If you think hammocks are great, why are there dozens of posts from people bitching about straps and underpads and overpads and tarps and people moaning they are cold or wet or any number of problems, meanwhile there isn't a single one about tent problems.
>>
>>658068
Hammocks are fucking amazing, you're an idiot
>>
Join the army. You'll never want to hike/camp after that.
>>
>>658162
How come you fags are always complaining about how they don't work? Are you just shitposting?
>>
File: thelongdark4[1].jpg (534KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
thelongdark4[1].jpg
534KB, 1920x1080px
Play The Long Dark.
>>
>>658068
>>658162
>>658185

I almost exclusively hammock camp. I take a lightweight foam pad and a good 5 degree (f) sleeping bag. I don't go during the coldest winter months. Zero problems and I'd pick it over the tent majority of the time. It's just a stupid meme argument. They're each good for different purposes.
>>
>>658166
odd made me love camping even more
>>
also, try vlounteering with the Boy scouts of america. i learned everything i know from various merit badge courses adn the old timers are full of info
>>
File: humanwaffle_thumb.jpg (51KB, 504x378px) Image search: [Google]
humanwaffle_thumb.jpg
51KB, 504x378px
>>658185
I've never complained that my hammock doesn't work.

Tents are just simple, and people who don't want to think about their gear, like tents, because it involves 0 skill, 0 effort, and 0 hassle.

Hammocks involve some thinking to hang properly. They're easy once you figure it out. They're also much more comfortable in my opinion.

Anyone who thinks hanging a hammock is hard, just isn't very smart.

Whether or not they're more comfortable or better, is up to the individual's preferences.
>>
>>659938
>hammocks are easy/ and not super dooper hard , you have to think hard but if you do you aren't smart, tents are better but not as good, harder is easier but my hammock works fine in my imagination according to a blog I read
>>
>>660324
It takes me 4 minutes to set up my hammock for the winter. It would take me 9 to set up my tent stake it out and arrange my sleeping gear. Please die sperglord
>>
>>660342
>hammock in winter meme

How long before you go inside for mommys cocoa?
>>
>>660324
Wow.

The guy said hammocks aren't hard, you just have to do it right.

Driving a car isn't hard, but you still have to think to do it.

He never said tents are worse. He said HE finds hammocks more comfortable.

Why are you so mad about this? Clearly you don't leave the house much. Any real sc/out/ listens to others ideas about how they use THEIR OWN stuff.
>>
>>660324
/out/ was supposed to be a board free of this shit. Please don't.
>>
>>660418
I own both and use both, each has its benefits and tradeoffs, and I bring what I think is best for each trip. There doesn't even need to be an argument.
>>
>>657151
I used to be a shut-in basement dweller who played video games all day, then I lost a ton of weight and became interested in outdoor activity. I can't say what worked for me will work for you, but I got into it by riding my bicycle on really pretty trails while listening to music.
>>
>>660473

>board rules require preference to hammocks in all posts you meanie
>>
>>657151
You learn a lot from your mistakes. Take dayhikes, start small, elevate yourself over time. Car camp, get used to being outside. Find an outdoor club on a place like meetup.com, spend time with those more skilled than you. Take risks.

You can do all the reading and buy all the gear you want, but nothing will happen until you actually go /out/. You'll eventually start to see yourself not as a neckbeard, but as a more hardy individual. Share your experiences with others. People who aren't /out/ will start to notice your life is a bit more interesting than theirs.

You travel the path less traveled. You'll become more fit, stronger. You'll become a more grounded individual. Most people's problems will seem inconsequential and silly to you.

Take your phone, but keep it off. Only turn it on to take pictures of beautiful or interesting things.

/out/doorsmanship isn't an activity that you do, it's a lifestyle that you live. Your interests will shift, but you'll overall be better for it.

Good luck anon, you got this.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.