[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Could a top-of-the-line GoreTex cycling jacket also be used as

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: BK.jpg (132KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
BK.jpg
132KB, 1200x1200px
Could a top-of-the-line GoreTex cycling jacket also be used as a three-season backpacking softshell/waterproof jacket? What would be the pros and cons?
>>
>>656100
Can you fit your insulation below it? Is it durable enough (three layer laminate, top fabric strength)? Is it long enough to cover your ass if you so wish? Will you not miss the pockets or the hood?
>>
>>656100
It'll work but most bike jackets have shitty pockets and are cut short in front (and tbqh, these days a lot are too short in back to be ideal for cycling). You might be better off cycling in a backpacking jacket, as long as it has decent vents and a double zipper.

The main benefit of my bike jacket over my hiking jacket is it rolls up smaller in my bag when I'm not wearing it.
>>
Your main concern will be your pack belt and shoulder straps rubbing away at the goretex. My macpac coat has pertex reenforcements.
>>
Ideally you want your cycling jacket as form fitting as possible if you buy a high quality one. Most of them will be designed to be worn in aggressive riding positions and may feel awkward when standing in a neutral position if it's small enough. At least try some out in person before you buy.
>>
>>656258
This. Cycling clothes are made to be comfortable and fit well on the bike but can be rather uncomfortable off it.

Also see:
>>656255
The jackets and jerseys are short on the front and longer in the back because, again, they are tailored for sitting on a bike.

Unless you intend to protect your privates from wind and weather in some other way, you gone get jingle bells cold at the front but have a snugly warm ass...
>>
File: Supplex GRX-301_black.jpg (113KB, 590x530px) Image search: [Google]
Supplex GRX-301_black.jpg
113KB, 590x530px
>>656100
>Could a top-of-the-line GoreTex cycling jacket also be used as a three-season backpacking softshell/waterproof jacket?

It’d think it would be good for summer rainwear but in the cooler spring and fall seasons, you might want to wear some fleece underneath it for insulation and while you could get away with a fleece vest, the sleeves of the bicycle jacket are likely too slim to allow for a full fleece jacket. Also, no hood means you’ll want to pack some kinda hat, either GoreTex or a conventional cap sprayed with Scotchgard.
>>
>>656431
>the sleeves of the bicycle jacket are likely too slim to allow for a full fleece jacket
Depends on how you size the jacket which depends on how much you care about wind resistance vs comfort. I size mine to fit over a fleece because I ride in winter, and it leaves room for airflow in spring/fall. In summer I just get wet, it's free liquid cooling.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.