[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sailing Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: iu.jpg (105KB, 851x564px) Image search: [Google]
iu.jpg
105KB, 851x564px
Discuss anything sailing.

Ideas:
-Your vessel
-Previous voyages
-Future voyages
-Competitive or casual?
-Anything else
>>
>>>N
>>
File: swede_38b3.jpg (29KB, 500x347px) Image search: [Google]
swede_38b3.jpg
29KB, 500x347px
best kind of /out/ imo

used to go sailing every summer when I was a kid, then puberty hit and I just stayed home playing vidya and by the time I started to enjoy it again my father had died and we sold the boat

used to have a Swede 38. fast for a boat her age and beautiful lines. hard to handle solo tho.

in the future I want to get back into this. don't have the money or time yet tho. used to dream about crossing the atlantic solo. don't anymore.
>>
>>655289
>in the future I want to get back into this
Don't wait for the future yacht, just buy or rent a windsurfer or a laser or even a fucking Optimist, anything to get yourself back under canvas next summer. Even shitty sailing is heaps better than no sailing.
>>
>>655292
true

In my country we have hella lot of islands in the archipelago and even tho I'm used to 30+ foot boats I figure one could just pack a tent and sleeping bag and hop island to island.

gf's family has a bigger boat tho but last summer schedules didnt allow for sailing on my part, hoping next summer

so much /out/
so little time and money
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYKTXsRLY9Y

>dat planing at 0:30ish

fucking gives me a boner every time
>>
Fuck I want to do this so bad. Buy a live aboard and sail around, do the trans-Tasman or GBR, maybe install some diving equipment..

How do I into sailing?
>>
>>655312

Yeah I'd love to know how to get into sailing, too. Seems... expensive.
>>
>>655355
it's hella expensive

maybe there is a yacht club near you with some old fart who's got a bigger boat than he can handle so you can tag along
>>
Sailing is the best. I sold my Block Island 40 in 2005. I will return to full-time sailing when I retire. For now, I sail summers only, but it's better than nothing.
>>
>>655388
zillionaire pls go
>>
>>655292
>Optimist
No one over twelve could ever sail one of those bathtubs without sinking it, anon.

On topic, I was a competitive big boat (C&C 34R) and dinghy (420/FJ) racer all my life until I took a job in Las Vegas for two years. Sailing on Lake Mead just doesn't do it for me.

But now I'm moving to New Orleans next year for medical school. Anyone know about the sailing scene down there?
>>
>>655399
Also, for all the people asking how to get into sailing, find your local yacht club and see if anyone needs crew. There will always be someone, unless you live in Annapolis where everyone and their grandmother sails.

At first, just stay out of the way. Be the best ballast you can be. But observe. Watch the timing of pulling in the sheets. See the different techniques of the other crew. Observe the sail shape at different points of sail. When you're asked to step up as a trimmer or grinder, you'll be ready.

Also, to those saying sailing is only for rich people: You can get a used Laser for less than $5k. If you don't mind being slow as fuck, you can find an old Cape Dory or other full keeled boat for $10-15k. Yes, you have to make sacrifices, but sailing is possible at all middle-class income levels.
>>
>There are people IN THIS THREAD who bought a boat without a planing hull
>>
>>655435
not ALL people want to spend their hard earned vacation in a god damn washing machine

not saying planing isn't great as fuck but... you know
>>
>>655399
Yes
I'm from there. Nice clubs, great people. Have fun! Wed. night LPRC.
>>
I'm still MAD MAD jelly about the anon who built his boat and sailed all the way down mexico /traveling/ and shit.

fuck i want to do that. all i need is about 10k
>>
File: 1391873297371.jpg (805KB, 1404x2616px) Image search: [Google]
1391873297371.jpg
805KB, 1404x2616px
>>655985
ahhh yes. prince charles. i will always love you.
>>
>>655399
I'm from New Orleans anon. Sailing is so-so, or at least I think. I'm 19 and used to sail at a camp in Mississippi from 2005-2008 or something like that. Post Katrina yatch club was actually pretty fun. I belonged to BWYC. The regatta was a pretty big thing. I never sailed here in New Orleans but I know SYC, southern yatch club on the lake, is pretty competitive. I was never big on sailing here because it wasn't summer and the lake sucks imo. All in all though you should be able to come down here and find some place to sail. Last time I sailed was in high school and it was a 420. Fun fucker.

Anybody know anything about Hobie's? I'm looking to get back into sailing. I have experience but it's been a while. Looking for something 13-16 feet. The wave or getaway is ideal. Any cat feedback welcome
>>
I wouldn't mind getting my hands on an old Pearson 30 and taking it out for a trip or two.
>>
>>656016
inspiring.
>>
i would love to learn to sail. plan on making it my 5 year plan to get a job on a small sailboat in the gulf somewhere and save up for my own . then spend a year or 2 sailing the gulf until i get the balls to strike out over the atlantic and just see where it takes me
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.