[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

First AID kit thread?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 122
Thread images: 15

File: fak1.jpg (111KB, 685x1487px) Image search: [Google]
fak1.jpg
111KB, 685x1487px
First AID kit thread.
>>
File: samsplint.jpg (27KB, 410x307px) Image search: [Google]
samsplint.jpg
27KB, 410x307px
Good use of space friendo

Been meaning to order some sam splints for use in my pack. They're not the most ideal form of splint, but the flexibility makes for easy storage and versatility in molding into shape for various body parts.
>>
File: vodka.jpg (21KB, 316x500px) Image search: [Google]
vodka.jpg
21KB, 316x500px
is only first aid needed comrade
>>
Stock up on this shit, the only thing I ever use.
-Sprain fingers or toes? Sorted.
-Bleeding? Sorted. Waterproof.
-Broken leg? Use it do secure the splint. Sorted.
-Broken equipment? Sorted.
>>
>>655043
Why is aid capitalised?

Pretty certain we're not talking about AIDS....
>>
>>655068
I pretty "positive" it was a mistake!
>>
I remember my first AIDS
>>
>>655067
This guy gets it.

Big first aid kits are a meme. Roller gauze, tape, shears, and a couple of band aids for the small stuff is all you need.
>>
>>655067

Buy this shit at farm stores. Literally same thimg but half the price.
>>
>>655140
>Big first aid kits are for boats, vehicles, airplanes, EMTs, school buses, restaurant kitchens, workplaces, summer camps, expeditions and other large groups
ftfy

>Roller gauze, tape, shears, and a couple of band aids for the small stuff is all you need.
And tweezers, and antiseptic, and moleskin or something similar for blisters, and vet wrap or an elastic bandage, and maybe some ibuprofen and benadryl and imodium.
>>
>>655183
>Buy this shit at farm stores. Literally same thimg but half the price.
that's true of many things.
>>
>>655290

Same with a lot of animal meds too. Also the cattle tazers are a bonus buy too.
>>
>>655140
I carry a little more, but I'm a paramedic, and responsible for the first aid of the 5 guys I regularly backpack with. You really don't need a whole lot.

I used mine my last trip out. Was breaking sticks for kindling, and a stick snapped wrong and cut open my hand pretty good. Was able to use antibiotic wipes to clean it, some ointment and a large band aid. Since we were out in the wet, and hauling around wood, it would have been easy for it to get infected and not heal well. Since I had a first aid kit, it's healing fine.

That's what a first aid kit is for. For making small injuries easier to deal with. Rarely, if ever, can you ever save a life from a first aid kit.
>>
First Aid kits are basically just for cuts aren't they?
>>
>>655556
Basically yeah. They can help other minor stuff, but cuts, blisters, burns... that's what they work best for.

Honestly though if you're out for a few days and cut your finger, and have no way to clean it, and keep it clean with bandages, you can get a pretty nasty infection in a hurry. People have lost limbs from bad infections while /out/, and you can become septic and die if it's bad enough.

Mostly though, just is nice to patch up your finger so it doesn't annoy you the rest of the trip.
>>
>>655561
Does it have to be able to deal with deep cuts?
>>
>>655556

Pretty much. Only time they become more than that, is when you actually got proper training. With training your kit can grow.
>>
>>655067
I have allergic reactions to this shit :-(
>>
>>655295
what antibiotic wipes did you use? I have alcohol and iodine wipes, but I've heard alcohol wipes are pretty pointless.
>>
>>656685
RN here. You don't need many alcohol wipes. They shouldn't be used for cleaning wounds if you have antibiotic wipes/gel. Your biggest use will be cleaning instruments (knives/scissors). You don't really need iodine wipes if you can have antibiotic wipes also. Iodine has less uses for you here.

For antibiotics creams I suggest triple antibiotic (neosporin) or bacitracin. If you can get some in health care we have tiny packet roughly single/double use should cut down on space well.

Tl;dr: bring bacitracin or triple abx. Drop the iodine. Just a little alcohol for tools. Clean wounds with clean water only (boil that shit).
>>
File: 20151008_224259.jpg (881KB, 2240x1344px) Image search: [Google]
20151008_224259.jpg
881KB, 2240x1344px
I inherited a army field medic kit. it was missing the cool shit like morphine and suture kits, but i added my own medication like Ib800s some muscle relaxers some vicodin and antihistamines. Also shit like 100% grain alcohol and tobacco for stings. i suppose i could take an expanded image if you wanted to see it.
>>
>>656795
yes
>>
>>656795
Do you have training on using IVs, airways or really any of that stuff?
>>
>>656771
Np here. Good advice, always nice to have a syringe to get pressure behind the water or saline you are using to cleanse the wound. Dirty cuts (which you will mostly sustain while /out/) can always benefit from betadyne being mixed in with the saline. Pretty easy to make saline before you go out or as needed. It's half a teaspoon or 2g of salt per cup of water to make an isotonic saline. Which would be about 4 salt packets if you grab them from a restaurant. Boiling the water first would be the important part if you don't have access to anything else. And putting on a triple abx cream right away with some coverage like a bandaid
>>
File: 20160101_111300.jpg (981KB, 2240x1344px) Image search: [Google]
20160101_111300.jpg
981KB, 2240x1344px
>>656899
Nope, but im not carrying all this shit innawoods, i could go get training on it if i wanted to
>>
>>656685
I used wet ones brand antibiotic wipes. Any brand will work. Ones in single use packs are better since it won't dry out after opening a pack of them.
>>
>>655568
Dealing with a deeper cut is not much different besides stopping the bleeding first. You'll still bandage it up. If it's deep enough though, you should be heading back to civilization to get it cleaned out and sutured.
>>
>>656995
If the kit did have morphine, you'd be carrying a schedule 1 narcotic without a prescription, which can get you in pretty serious trouble.

If you don't have training in how to use an IV, done even attempt it. You also need to check expiration dates on all that stuff, the saline expires, as do the IV catheters. You can seriously mess yourself up if you do an IV wrong. You can even die from it, so don't try it.
>>
Antiseptic, bandages, tape and some bandaids is all I carry. Anything that can't be solved by this and the trip is over.

If you are out too far with a serious injury call in the ambulance chopper
>>
File: burnetts313.jpg (69KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
burnetts313.jpg
69KB, 600x600px
>>655056
quad distilled
>>
File: n-no homo.gif (2MB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
n-no homo.gif
2MB, 300x225px
>>655205
this is the gayest fucking post i've seen in a long time. and i go to the trap threads on /b/
>>
>>655556
Nice trips
>>
>>657117
I threw this up all over my buddy's couch 11 years ago and now I can't drink vodka any more.
>>
>>655043
>ITT: things you totally forget to pack anywhere

I haven't even seen a bandaid in like 15 years.
>>
>>655052
>SAM splints

Waste of space imo. Too unlikely to be needed and too easy to improvise something basically equivalent. They look professional that's about it.
>>
>>656795

You could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff.
>>
>>657105

Meds can help a lot for their weight. Treat allergic reactions, rashes, nausea, diarrhea, pain, fatigue, insomnia, even get treament started for a a heart attack (aspirin). Can't really substitute/improvise for meds either.

Tools are also hard to substitute for. Needle nose tweezers I think are the most important thing in a FAK. An irrigation device like a 2oz contact lense solution bottle is great for irrigation which is by far the most important part of minor soft tissue wound management in the field.
>>
>>656958
>betadyne being mixed in with the saline.

Current recommendations are not to do this actually. Saline or potable water are fine. Clear running stream water even.

The thought is that any additives to the solution can irritate the exposed tissue, kill more neutrophils and immune cells more than pathogens and impair the natural wound response/healing. The light hydrostatic pressure and flowing water alone are what remove bacteria and do everything irrigation is meant for.
>>
File: 229472.jpg (247KB, 880x660px) Image search: [Google]
229472.jpg
247KB, 880x660px
Can anyone recommend a nice MOLLE IFAK pouch?

I was thinking about pic related, but I'm not sure about the meshed compartements. Don't want to dig for minutes to grab a band aid.
>>
>>655070
HAH
>>
>>655043
Just buy as standard first aid kit and stick some quickclot into it.
>>
>>657785
Quickclot is good, also remove all bandaids and replace with skin closures, moleskin and liquid bandage.Bandaids in first aid kits are always cheap fucking pieces of shit, never use them.
>>
>>656771
Good advice for using alcohol wipes on tools, not tissue. Bacitracian cream is in my EDC first aid kit for cuts and thorns. It goes a long way to prevent an infection.
>>657355
Fine tip syringes are cheap, lightweight, and hard to improvise.
>>
>>657849

Quick clit is not good. Sure it closes the wound, also does it by chemical burn.
>>
>>657785
Quickclot is a bitch for the hospital later. Each granule has to be removed by hand. It's designed for gunshot wounds in the field, it's unnecessary for most situations and will require a later trip to hospital when used.
>>
>>658915
Especially since tourniquets have been proven effective, with little risk of limb loss when applied correctly.

Quickclot should be used if the only other option is death.

>>658885
I'm interested in this "quick clit" you speak of. Sounds sensual. I didn't know there was a shortcut to this, but I need more info.
>>
>>658612
I would recommend that most people carry alcohol swabs for tools. I use my pocket knife for quite a bit. Sometimes it's cutting out a splinter and sometimes it's cutting cheese. It takes 5 seconds to clean a tool and at the end you have tinder. Alcohol should not be used for cleaning wounds. Cleaning a site before removing a splinter? Yes. In a wound? Never.

For a syringe I like the 10ml saline syringes. They are plentiful and easy to reuse. They put some good pressure out to clean a wound.

Knowing how to use a tourniquet correctly is far more valuable than quick clot. Keep it simple. A good belt can be a tourniquet or part of a splint for example.
>>
>>657765
This is what I use, I havent had any trouble getting to my gear. It's not waterproof though, water-resistant. I keep everything in individual bags, it actually makes it easier to get to imo. The only thing about the mesh is if you carry scissors or tweezers in there they can get caught on it sometimes. It's not a huge bag so it's perfect for hiking and you can stow a surprising amount of stuff in it. The bag is high quality though, like pretty much everything 5.11 makes.
>>
Don't actually carry a med kit but if I did would include:
-Anti-inflammatory
-Antihistamine
-Decongestant
-Caffeine
-Something to help poop chute problems, maybe Pepto-Bismol or something
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
What I'm packin... A little much but doesn't weigh shit so why not.
>>
>>659125

Oh and an ace bandage... Got a bum knee
>>
>>659127
Does the other knee have a job?
>>
>>658915
Though there are some places that haven't stopped selling the old kind (It should be past its expiration date by now regardless) Quickclot no longer makes the granulated Zeolite version. Its now kaolin based and involves regular sterile gauze impregnated with the chemical compound. Much, much easier to both apply and remove.
>>
>>655140
Add antiseptic shit to clean out cut wounds. >>655056 da, that will do

Anyone ever got injured semi-bad to bad when /out/?
>be me
>2 days ago
>skiing onna black diamond
>face first into other skier
>ski edges are edgy (and sharp)
>cut right through my skiing pants, thermo underwear, (thick) sock, skin, fat layer (about a 16th of an inch apparently) (assuming thats what the yellow stuff was) and a bunch of muscle before stopping at the bone of my shin
>cut is about an inch wide, opens up about 3/8 because skin is tight on the shin
>buddy has FAK
>desinfect, gauze pad, tape, done
>get my ass to a doctor in the nearest town
>6 stitches
>lol painkiller meds

>oh shit, massive medicare bill incoming
>oh wait this is europe
>hand in to insurance, aint got to deal with shit

anyway, moral of the story
>big ass would which woulda caused a lot of blood loss probably
>FAK the size of my fist
>fix'd
>>655140
>Big first aid kits are a meme.
>>
If your first aid kit contains more than some antiseptic goop and some duct tape you're probably carrying too much.
>>
>>660003
Enjoy bleeding to death.
>>
>>661247

Use you're head. You can make sort of bandage you need with duct tape and whatever materials you're already carrying.
>>
>>659142
d'ohoh
>>
>>657343

I'm naturally paranoid and usually prepare for absolute worst case scenarios, so I'm imagining a situation where material for an improvised splint would be unavailable, or perhaps you're critically injured and immobilized and simply can't gather it
>>
>>661415
And die of sepsis rather quickly. A used t-shirt can be used at first, but you had better have something sterile to press against that wound and bandage in place once a clot forms. Sterile ABD pads are not terribly heavy, bulky or expensive, so you really have no excuse not to carry some.
>>
>>661654

Who the fuck carries ABD pads around with them? This ain't the bug out bag general.
>>
>>655056
>>655067
is all you really need tbqh
>>
File: leukoclip-fd_1272.jpg (10KB, 472x328px) Image search: [Google]
leukoclip-fd_1272.jpg
10KB, 472x328px
This, a couple of toothed forceps and a bottle of strong antiseptic.
>>
>>661633
SAM splints are an expensive meme, just use a bunch of sticks and triangular bandages. Pillows are also effective for immobilization, and more comfortable.

t. emergency medical responder
>>
>>662253
Without being able to properly clean a wound, you don't want to close it. If any foreign material is in there, you can lose a limb from the infection.

Often in an emergency room, before they suture a wound that could be dirty, they X-ray it for foreign bodies, to make sure it's safe to suture closed.
>>
>>662767

This is true. And certain contaminated wounds like animal bites you don't want to close even after thoroughly cleaning.
>>
>>662698
I like them for making working splints or stabilizing wrists, radius/ulna fractures, or elbow injuries. For extended trips I like to have at least two in the group. I source mine at work, though, so I don't pay the full $40.
>>
>>662227
I do, just replaced a couple in my kit. Major bleeds don't come along often but when they do it's nice to have something other than a T-shirt to put on the wound.
>>
>>658915
>>659068
>>659971
The FDA recently approved this clotting sponge injector which will plug a gunshot wound in seconds, with the sponge tabs individually x-ray marked for ease of removal.

It's already been proven effective in the 'Stan.
>>
File: revmedx-xstat-injectable-sponges.jpg (124KB, 2000x1470px) Image search: [Google]
revmedx-xstat-injectable-sponges.jpg
124KB, 2000x1470px
>>663117
>>
ER PA who loves goin' out here,

pretty much all these kits and supplies are a meme.

I only bring tape and moleskine, ibuprofen and MAYBE gi cocktail if doing more than 2 weeks.
>>
>>663245
>ER Physician's Assistant
>Not pre-hospital care
Yeah, that makes sense.
>>
>>663117
Given that I am friends with some of the medics that used it, I am well aware of Xstat. Its even made in my state, about 20 mins South of where I am sitting right now. It's neat stuff, but I am fairly certain it will be considered a medical device and be heinously expensive.
>>
>>662227
anybody that knows what the fuck they are talking about? A single ABD pad belongs in any halfway decent first aid kit.

Bare Bones Widlerness first aid kit would have the following items

2 sterile 4x4 gauze
1 Sterile ABD
1 2"cohesive bandage roll
1" cloth tape
1 3" Sterile gauze roll
packet of bandaids
packet of moleskin
splinter tweezers
antihistamines
antidiarrheals
painkiller of choice
whatever you think will be best for cleaning a wound, current literature varies.
probably an antibiotic ointment of some kind, though studies vary on effectiveness, most of them were conducted in nice clean hospitals, not the outdoors.

I would feel pretty OK with just the above if dealing with myself in the outdoors. I would scale it up 1x for each person in your group.

A good first aid kit is not something you skimp on. Its not an inconvenience or useless weight. It is definitely not something you apply ultralight backpacking principles to (beyond reason, of course.) Its like paying for insurance: sure, you probably will never need it and many people drive around without it, but you are fucked if you need it and don't have it.
>>
>>663647
I think the per unit price is about 100-150 dollarydoos, given what it's meant for, it's not an unreasonable price.
>>
File: ifak012016.jpg (252KB, 1000x528px) Image search: [Google]
ifak012016.jpg
252KB, 1000x528px
/k/ here

r8 h8 discrimin8

>blue force gear pouch
>israeli bandage
>2 5x9 abdominal pads
>5 4x4 gauze
>4 3x4 gauze
>naso airway
>cat tourniquet
>halo chest seals
>moleskin sheets
>teflon emt shears (tied to "holster" pouch for the insert)
>2 pairs nitrile gloves
>1" roll tape

In my pocket I have one of those little bullshit deck of card sized white plastic bandage cases packed with butterflies and random bandaids

Anybody have any recommendations as to what one should carry when /out/ camping in terms of medicine? All I have is a travel vial of advil because my system's pretty strong but I'm starting to go /out/ and innawoods with guests more often.
>>
>>655295
Please post your kit. I'm a paramedic student (graduate in april) and I will be responsible for the health of 4 on a two week trip. I'm a little freaked out they trust me that much.
>>
>>664034
You definitely need antiseptic. I carry alcohol and iodine swabs, various bandages and a little tube of generic neosporin at all times.
>>
>>664059
>carry alcohol and iodine swabs
Is one preferable to the other?

In my experience alcohol wipes dry out really fast, but maybe I've been buying shit tier brands
>>
>>664080
>Alcohol v Iodine swabs
>Is one preferable to the other?

Alcohol is nice for sterilizing instruments because it evaporates and doesn't leave residues/stains. But mainly only instruments for skin procedures that don't enter joints or the CNS since it only reliably kills bacteria. Not spores, viruses, fungi, protozoa. It's used in healthcare a lot for injections and IVs because it avoids staining things/people or obscuring a vein you're trying to cannulate. It's also hypoallergenic and supposedly vasodilates veins somewhat.

Iodine is a strong sterilizer and will kill bacterial spores, viruses, fungi, protozoa, anything but prions. It's the least irritating of the skin disinfectants that can kill everything and it doesn't evaporate quickly, which is good for prepping skin for higher risk procedures like lumbar punctures, joint injections, foley catheters, surgeries. It does leave a strong stain though and some people are allergic to iodine.

desu not much use for either one unless you have instruments for suturing and foreign body removal. In those cases the procedure is only semi-sterile anyway to begin with and alcohol would be fine. The paper packets do get worn open and dry out easily though so you have to stay on top of replacing them every few trips.
>>
>>664034
>>teflon emt shears (tied to "holster" pouch for the insert)
>>2 pairs nitrile gloves

In what specific situations would you need these?
>>
>>663245
>ER PA who loves goin' out here,
> pretty much all these kits and supplies are a meme.
> I only bring tape and moleskine, ibuprofen and MAYBE gi cocktail if doing more than 2 weeks.

How do you deal with small wounds and lacerations? With small hand/finger wounds in the outdoors it's amazing how quickly you go through bandaids because you're doing so much stuff with your hands.

Or what about removing splinters or ticks, or stopping an irritating rash or allergic reaction?

Most common sources of issues outdoors people have in my experience: knife accidents, firewood handling, butt hygiene, and insects.
>>
File: 20150728_215511.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20150728_215511.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>664041
Shears
Tweezers/tick puller
10cc syringe for irrigation
Roll gauze
4x4 several of each
3x3 "
2x2 "
ABD pads
Ibuprofen
Excedrin (I get headaches sometimes)
Benadryl
Peptobismol tabs
Iodine wipes
Alcohol wipes
Antibiotic cream
Band aids
Steri strips
Triangle bandage
Tape

Most of it is very small. Don't stress first aid while /out/. It's just about making small injuries easier to deal with. If someone is actually hurt, youre not treating it in the wild, your main focus will be getting to definitive care in a hospital.

Someone said ABD pads are worthless. I carry small ones, and it's really just to cover a wound that's long, irregular, or bleeding is hard to control. The extra thickness of them helps put pressure down when they're taped correctly.
>>
>>664126
splinters/ticks - credit card / knife
small wounds/lacs - purell + tape
>>
>>664188
abd pads are useless.

any situation in which an abd is necessary, that person needs hospital based treatment, and you can just use clothing you have on hand if you're REALLY in an emergency (you're not)
>>
>>664264
I think you're thinking of multi trauma dressings, and large abd pads.

The ABD pads I carry are like 3"x5". They're just a bulky dressing, that can help stop bleeding. I'm not talking about severe bleeding, but sometimes it's hard to get even little tiny cuts to stop.

Just fold an ABD pad in half and tape it down, and it puts good pressure to stop any bleeding without having to hold much pressure.

The ABD pad in this pic >>664188 is top row, second from left. To the left of it is a 4x4. You can see its not big.
>>
>>655043
I need to make a new kit. The BSA manual has a great kit that fits in a quart ziploc bag. That's what I plan to use. I carry some bandaids, butterfly closures, and wet wipes in a small box in my bag every day. I need to get a small tube of neosporin for it instead of all the alcohol wipes my wife threw in there. Also bandaids in the wallet errday.
>>
>>664120
shears to cut away clothing to better access a wound. I had a friend accidentally kick a cactus and it was easier to cut off his jean leg at the knee than trying to lift the pant off around the spines

are you really questioning why I want gloves if I'm dealing with a bloody wound?
>>
>>664188
A bit off topic, but have you had any experience with raptor shears? If so, are they worthwhile?
>>
>>664975
I've seen them, and a few coworkers have them, but not me.

Whenever I use shears, they're covered in blood, and get tossed to the side somewhere in the ambulance.

I don't want my expensive Leatherman covered in blood and then tossed to the side where it gets lost in a pile of bloody clothing.

So I just use the cheap shears.
>>
>>663913
But is it a medical device? As in "do I need authorization from an EMS service Medical Controller or equivilent to buy it? Given that I won't spend the 50 bucks on a pack of combatgauze, I don't think I'm going to shell out 100-150 for something that is admittedly amazing at what it does, but less versatile and unlikely to be used.
>>
>>665065
I had heard they're an absolute bitch to clean. Thanks for you input.
>>
>>665617
It's for gunshots mostly. It is of very very little use while /out/. The chances of getting a deep wound that needs one of these is pretty insignificant.
>>
>>665632
I just carry a regular Leatherman wave, and keep a pair of shears close by.
>>
>>655043
It would help to know what you're doing outside.

I travel as light and compact as possible on a hike or backpacking trip. I guess what I'm trying to say is I don't carry shears, Quickclot, and a tourniquet, but I might if I were a hunter.
>>
Can someone tell me what are the esentials in a first aid kit?
>>
>>655067
There is a tape we can get here called fortlast , it's the best first aid tape ever, couple of layers and its nice and rigid , stickiest shit ever as well
>>655140
I'd throw in a couple of dressings , betadine for cleaning wounds, a good ointment like germolene, an antihistamine, few aspirin, tweezers, shears and alcohol wipes for cleaning them as well , a lot of stuff can be improvised , splints , tourniquet , etc
>>657849
I have quickclot , said why not throw it in my pack because it's so lightweight
>>660003
I wouldn't go that lightweight on it , that's just me though I like b ing prepared for shit , was a reserve army medic and used to have to carry all kinds of shit. Trall, oxygen. Full airway management kit , shit loads of field dressing , saline , lots of diagnostic shit , list would go on forever.. so what I do carry feels pretty basic to me
>>
>>668516
Sure. What are you going out to do?
>>
File: Super_Glue_tube.jpg (14KB, 599x231px) Image search: [Google]
Super_Glue_tube.jpg
14KB, 599x231px
No superglue? It's a great lighteight addition to any kit. It was approved and used as surgical glue ages ago, Keep a tube handy and you can suture wounds like a pro. Or just use it as a regular glue.
>>
>>668613
hiking
>>
>>668630
>Tweezers
Remove Ticks, Splinters, and debris from wounds
>Duct tape or moleskin or leukotape
All can be used on blisters but duct tape has many uses
>Lip Balm
Bleeding Lips suck
>Ibuprofin, Bennadryl, Imodium
Reduce your fever, allergic reaction, and diarrhea
>Basic Sewing Kit
Sew your ass back together
>Iodine
Sterilize area around wound, water treatment
>Flask of Vodka
Poor it in a deep wound or drink it

Nobody pulls out sterilize wipes and shit. Use belt as Tourniquet or sling. Cut your shirt apart, douse in vodka, let dry, then tape over wounds as bandages. Make a splint with a sick and duct tape. Don't be a pussy and bring more then you need.
>>
>>668630
Here is my simple first aid kit for thorns, rippers, splinters, and blisters.
>Safety pins
>antibacterial ointment
>large bandaids
>ibuprofen
>splinter pickers
>white waterproof tape
This is all I carry at work. I wrap the dressed area with tape to make it more durable.
>>
Here is a list of items difficult improvise. I take this in addition to my small kit.
(1) Nitrile gloves - One pair per person in the group. They are for handling the victim in case of a large serious open wound, or compound fracture.
(2) Splinter pickers - If you are in the least uncertain which ones to get, read the reviews to find the best. Splinters and prickers are common, it makes a difference. I would add a small magnifying glass to this category as well. It lets you see how the splinter entered, and alows you to clean it out completely if it breaks in half.
(3) 1 inch wide cloth tape
(4) Second Skin pads by Spenco - When a blister is torn, bleeding, and burning, placing one of these over the area, will make the hobble back to the car less memorable.
(5) Tincture of benzoine - Applied to skin, it allows wound dressing to adhere better and last longer. Used in a "hot shot" to treat a blister.
(6) Betadine swabs - Dowsed with water, they provide a level of protection against infection in and around an open wound. Good for removing large material like gravel.
(7) Large and medium wound dressing pads - Sterile of course
(8) Notepad and pencil - (Not a pen, it will fail) Recording events and symptoms relating to the victim. Indispensable for when the EMT arrives. It is critical to mention the time with each entry.
(9) Ace bandage
(10) Plastic syringe - Used to flush wounds with disinfected water.
(Optional) Full size Sam Splint - These are great for immobilizing and padding the area around a fracture. Full size ones can do more, wrap it securely if you're hiking out (under your own power or not). Two of them are used to stabalize a knee injury. Pieces can be cut for finger injuries.
(Optional) Pain medication. Think morphine strength. Talk to your doctor and explain the hazards you face on a normal hike.
>>
Eye injuries are common. I carry a compact mirror and use the point of a handkerchief to remove foriegn objects like bugs. Safety glasses help when your bushwacking.
The ideal minimum number for a hiking party is 4. One to stay behind with the injured, and two to go for help. Everyone needs to carry a whistle.
Cell phones don't always work. Don't leave it behind.
>>
Learn how to make a stretcher, or even one you can drag. Arms can be used as a seat if 2 people interlock their wrists.
Learn how to treat someone properly for shock. You might be treating yourself.
Should I continue? Compound fractures are aweful.
>>
>>668655
>Use belt as Tourniquet
How do you feel knowing that you being an armchair commando could kill somebody some day?
>>
>>668655
>>668658
thx for help
>>
Can I get some outside insight on a recent injury?

>jumped over a stream with a heavy pack
>hurt knee on landing, walked it off on the day
>a few days later it still hurts when I walk
>hurts when I'm lifting my knee, fine when it's got pressure on it
>scared for my future in case I've seriously fucked it up

Should I give it a bit longer before I start panicking? I'm not above going to the doctors about it either.
>>
>>668655

A belt would not work as well enough as you think it does. You can get it tight, not tight enough. When you go to tie it off, it is still not gonna be nearly as tight enough to stop blood lose.
>>
>>669218
Your knees can only take so much abuse as you get older. I stretch my hamstrings and exercise my legs. Seems to help. Gearheads don't pack light though.
>>
>>669218
Small knee injuries are so common, don't worry too much about it. Give it a week or so before you think about going to the docs.
>>
Is hydrogen peroxide a good thing to have?
>>
>>669285
It kills tissue needed to heal a wound. Irrigate with sterilized water, clean the area, and use bacitracian ointment to prevent infection. Peroxide should only be used around a wound, and you might as well use alcohol. Benzoine compound tincture contains alcohol.
>>
>>669285
Peroxide is dangerous shit, man. I spent a lot of time in soil labs back at uni so I've seen what concentrated stuff can do to organics. I wouldn't want it anywhere in my bag, let alone near a wound apart from in dire straits.
>>
>>669218
Probably a ligament strain, MCL or ACL are common. Ligaments take longer to heal than muscle fiber. Take a 3 day run of ibuprofen, if you aren't allergic, 400-800mg every 4 hours and rest it. No heavy lifting, running, or moderate/high impact sports. The only way to repair these is to let them heal through progressive physiotherapy or surgery. You probably don't need surgery, but you will if you push it too hard too fast. Swimming and cycling are good ways to rehab it, so is some light work with a length of thera-band.

A strong and stable core is important to avoid re-injury.
>>
>>669545
>>669253
>>669242
Thanks, it's calmed down a lot since I hurt it. Probably just a strain or something, though I'm still gonna give it a week or so before I go /out/ again.
>>
>>669837
The other anon is right, ibuprofen is your friend. Not only will it help the pain, but takes away some inflammation.

When I have a serious ache, I take about 800mg (4 regular pills). When I injured my back, I was takin 1000mg x 3 times a day. Obviously you wouldn't take that much long term, a week at most.
>>
>>669218
>>jumped over a stream with a heavy pack
>>hurt knee on landing, walked it off on the day
>>a few days later it still hurts when I walk
>>hurts when I'm lifting my knee, fine when it's got pressure on it
>>scared for my future in case I've seriously fucked it up
>Should I give it a bit longer before I start panicking? I'm not above going to the doctors about it either.

Hard to tell from your description of the injury. How did you land? Where does it hurt? Any clicking, popping, when you bend it? If it's anything it may be a small tear to your meniscus. Surgical repair can be pretty effective in some cases.
>>
>>668516
>Can someone tell me what are the esentials in a first aid kit?

Tape
Bandaids, ~15-20 each of medium/larges, 5-10 of the XL 2x4" ones
Steri-strips
Needle-nose tweezers
Small bottle saline solution
Lip balm
Hydrocortisone cream
Meds: Benadryl, Immodium AD, Ibuprofen, Tylenol, Caffeine. (at a minimum)
Gauze
>>
>>670526
I landed with my whole weight on the one knee, it didn't hurt directly on impact but when I started to carry on walking it felt like I was dragging my leg forward rather than lifting it, even though I was walking normally. I don't think I heard any clicks or pops at the time and it just aches a little to walk now, no popping either.

Fuck, I really hope it doesn't need surgery. I've got the glory of the NHS if I do, but a friend of mine fucked up his knee whilst hiking and surgery has just caused more complications.
>>
>>668615
cynocrylate is not medical-superglue
medical-superglue will not burn the tissues as it binds this one will. it gets really fucking hot.
>>
>>670555
If you don't have a regular training routine, get one. Don't just go lift, cycle/swim/circuit training is essential. Make sure you don't neglect your core muscles. If you can find a TRX program, do it.
Thread posts: 122
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.