[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So my friend wants to take me to climb Mt. Whitney, in around

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

File: Mt.Whitney.jpg (743KB, 1536x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Mt.Whitney.jpg
743KB, 1536x1024px
So my friend wants to take me to climb Mt. Whitney, in around June. I've never climbed a mountain before, and was wondering what should I do to get prepared. I usually do weight training on weekdays, but I realize I will have to change that around to accommodate for this. Anyone here that can give advice on what to do?
>>
>>653074
Get a pair of boots
>>
>>653074
Some guiding services want their clients (for not very technical climbs) to be in good shape and recommend running/cycling at least 3 times a week.
>>
Preparation is just a waste of time since you already workout
>>
LOL what a fucking waste
out of the entire tract of the grand sierras, you want to take a fucking day hike to mt. whitney?

tell your dumb ass friend to take you on the JMT for a minimum of 3days hiking
>>
Mt Whitney is literally the easiest 14K summit there is. Which route does your friend want to do, and is he going to apply for a 1 day or a 2 day? The trail is crazy easy, but 22 miles round trip. Otherwise there are a few scrambles, and a few actual technical climbs. If you are doing the trail or a scramble, basically, you just have to make sure you have water and food, and pack all your shit out. (and camping gear if you are doing a 2 day)
>>
>>653074
Protip: your friend wants to fag it up with you.

Mt Whitney is where they filmed brokeback mountain. I suggest you bring lube and a ballgag.
>>
>>653217

that film had the most magnificent scenery though

i mean, when the camera wasn't zoomed in on his butthole
>>
climb climb, or hike climb?

i hiked it c2c in 14 hours off the sofa about 6 years ago. it's a long day (23 miles) at altitude, but really not that bad. next time i'm up there i'm going to do it right and go up the east buttress.
>>
File: localstew.jpg (869KB, 1554x1015px) Image search: [Google]
localstew.jpg
869KB, 1554x1015px
>>653074
startsleeping at higher elevations.,
, oxygen bottle,, coffee, or Cocaine.
,, ifyour lowlander, you might get headaches.
,you knew about sunglass's too?, good.
>>
>>653074

Whitney was the first thing I ever climbed, and I had just started working out again 4 months prior. I also broke my pinky toe 2 days before the hike, and the switchbacks were snowed in that year.

You'll be fine. Just go to your doctor and get a prescription for Diamox to prevent altitude sickness. The only guy in our group who couldn't summit didn't take Diamox.
>>
>>653203
Cool JMT it is. If Whitney as easy as you say we might as well just do JMY. Just a shit load of water, n some supplies is the gist of it right?
>>
>>653298
The only altitude sickness you'll get from a 14er is maybe a small headache unless you're an extremely rare case, in which case ibuprofen/tylenol is fine. Prescription stuff is pretty unnecessary unless you're at very high altitude and even then you usually only take it as a treatment, not preemptively.
>>
>>653309
>The only altitude sickness you'll get from a 14er is maybe a small headache

The fuck are you talking about? I met someone not too long ago that almost died from HAPE in my town. He was a Californian that took a week to summit small peaks at high elevations in Utah. The risk is always there, especially for those who are living at sea level or below. Climbing fast up a high elevation, high stress hike when you're only acclimated to a fourth of that altitude, can be deadly in some cases.
>>
Don't you need to win the Whitney Lottery to even climb that shit these days?
>>
>>653082
>not making boots out of hardtack strapped to your feet

Fucking casual
>>
>>653193
Most people who 'workout' do fuck all cardio though don't they.
>>
>>653298
>>653309
>>653317
strictly anecdotal, but i live at 300', spent one night at 6500', then hammered up, hit the wall at 13.5k (headache, vertigo, nausea), but pushed through and made the summit, crossed 13.5k on the way down and instantly better. the switch was weird. my brother doing it with me didn't have any effects at all.

even with my shitty experience rx meds seem like overkill. a 1 or 2 day trip up and back isn't gonna kill you. you're more likely to die from a freak storm.

>>653416
yeah, but throw your name in when it opens in feb and you have pretty good odds
>>
>>653443
Engrish prease
>>
>>653309
False. You can get AMC Hape and Hace starting at 10k' also acetazolomide(diamox) is often taken preemptively to help with the acclimatization process.
Source : wilderness emt, also got Hape at 12500 ' near the Rio Blanco Valley in mendoza Argentina. Fucked me up real bad. Then ended up summitting at 1818.2' a few weeks later.
>>
>>654278 AMS * stupid swiftkey
>>
>>653193
This is not true
>>653443
This is more the case. I weight lift as well and your leg strength from lifting does not translate directly into endurance hiking. Your muscles will become fatigued because they are used to anaerobic workouts. I would switch to calisthenics and cardio OP. Get your body used to walking for long periods of time (most likely with a heavy pack on) and climbing awkward terrain. I jog a couple miles every other day and I do high reps of squat jumps as well. Its a good mix of aerobic and leg strengthening. Yoga is a good idea as well or at least mobility stretching. Your body will need to be limber and stretched. having stiff muscles and joints will make things way more difficult on you
>>
Strength trainers always get gassed out early on climbs. My bodybuilding MUHREENZ roomie went along with me to climb South Sister, Oregon and had to lay down after a mile and a half and stop every 100 feet after.
>>
>>653074
Switch to cardio
Makes sure boots are broken in
Bring extra socks
Dont take extra bullshit to way you down
Watch out for black bears when you take a piss
>>
>>653074
If you want to get in shape for hiking, you go hiking. Go do something like Mt. Baldy via SkiHut and if you can do it roundtrip in 4hours you're good.
>>
I did Whitney this summer, I would strongly advise coming at it from the PCT if you have the time, if you start in tehachapi or kennedey meadows. By the time you get their you are acclimated, you can camp much closer to the summit, you see some gorgeous things on the way there. I think it beats the "day hike from hell" that coming from the desert side was often described as
>>
>>653087
Cardio progress starts falling off after roughly 48 hours of inactivity. Get a certified running coach and don't trust anyone who tells you less than 4 days a week if that's your main goal.
>>
Start running, Mt. Whitney is just a long walk up. It's not hard but you'll have a hard time if you're not in shape for it.
>>
File: 1445220309527.jpg (385KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1445220309527.jpg
385KB, 1920x1080px
>>655506
This. Real climbing is cardio, not strength. You'll never see a muscle head on 8000s; trust me, I can bench only 400lbs but I've summited K2 three times
>>
>>653074
Pic isn't my Whitney. I climbed it last June. Micro spikes and pokes will help with the ice. It's pretty thrilling when it's snowed over, but I'd go up the west side (pct access) and not the Whitney portal. The portal will be way sketchy to say the least. Go up early in the morning or the snow will be too soft on the way down.
>>
I did it this summer too, pic related. I didn't wear boots and my starting pack weight was 11 lb. Car to car time was 11 hrs. Just focus on cardio/endurance training, that is low exertion for long periods (several hours). Stairmaster, running are your friend. Bring ibuprofen, ginger candy (said to help) for altitude. Sleep at the Portal the night before to acclimatize. Be aware of altitude sickness symptoms, but most younger people in decent health can handle 14k without a problem. This isn't *all* people, I've climbed with a military vet who had severe AMS symptoms (frequent vomiting, terrible constant headache, could not keep any food down) at 9,000' and had to descend.
>>
Vaguely related but I will also be doing a walking peak this year. Toubkal in Morocco, about 13.5k.

Never done a mountain before so right now I am building up how long I can walk with a pack and doing lots of burpees. Anything else you guys would suggest?
>>
That's pretty much it. A lot of fast hikers run and carry a pack up the nearest, highest staircase they can find. And repeat.
>>
>>653074
What route are you doing? There's technical routes and easy walk ups.

In any case, I think you should hit the stairmaster with a loaded pack for a reasonable amount of time. I personally do half an hour w/ 30 pounds to prepare for 14er summit bagging season. That puts me in pretty acceptable shape.

If you're doing technical routes, I'd say start climbing.

You should also train hard. Harder than you think you need to because you'll likely be doing a 2-4am start in air much thinner than you're used to. Fatigue sets in way faster in those conditions.

I think mental strength is also really important,because chances are you'll get a headache, or your feet will cramp, or you'll just want to stop. It's important to go train even when you don't want to so you can steel yourself for any shit that happens on the mountain.

Things to ask your friend:
Technical route or walkup?
If technical, will it be snow, rock, mixed?

Here's a trip report from 14ers.
http://14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=8392
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.