[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fur/Meat Trapping General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 15

File: 20151206_092057.jpg (5MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20151206_092057.jpg
5MB, 5312x2988px
Anybody catching anything? I'm waiting for it to ice up so I can trap some muskrats in their huts. Until then I'm trapping weasel.
>>
>>648858
I dont have any traps out. Because of fur prices down.
I was told raccoon was only going to get $2 and that's not enough to make any money.
I did build 5 weasel boxes like yours, but it's been so warm I am not sure the fur will be good. Waiting for colder temps,
My friend did get a river otter.
>>
>>648858
Is that rabbit fur for bait?
And how is that stick holding it in place?
And what is the black thing wrapped around the post?
Thanks for the thread. I'll check back later.
>>
>>648858
>Trapping something as cute as an ermine

:(
>>
>>648858

Why does white trash get so bored? Jesus, just pick up a book.
>>
>>648870
Fur primeness isn't based off the temperature it's based off the amount of daylight. I can go out and set weasel traps on the 23rd of November every year and catch a fully prime weasel even if the temps are 60°F
>>648873
The rabbit fur is just a visual attraction, I currently am out of muskrat and beaver meat for bait so I used that to make do. The stick isn't holding it in place, it's just holding some Lenon's weasel lure on it. As far as the black thing, I have no idea. It's just a telephone pole.
>>
>>649167
What are best traps for rabbits?

I always see fucking rabbits while /out/ with nothing on me. as soon as I go back with my pellet rifle, balm no fucking rabbits any more.

if anything I want to use live traps. hunting preggo rabbits when they aren't really a nuisance here I'd rather not do. I tend to spare preggo animals because it just helps with numbers keeping them alive. some will argue that if you kill a female and it just had baby's that you also killed the baby's too. but that's not really the point here.

Plus catching small rabbits, or rabbits with tons of ticks all over them, aren't exactly gonna make good fur pieces.
>>
>>649184
Snares or 160/220 conibears on blocked down trails. They may not be legal where you are though. I don't know much about cage traps because the kind of trapping I do doesn't suit those traps.
>>
>>649184
Just know snares and conibears will kill the animal
If there are cats or other pets in the area, then look ar a live trap.
You can buy one for $20. Or there are many plans one line to build your own for less,
>>
>>649335
Follow the golden rule. Always kill all cats you encounter outside. If they are outside they are not pets they are vermin with no closed season or bag limits
>>
>>649431
Barn cats serve a purpose.
Now opossum always get killed.
>>
>>649029
This desu. I hope all hunters are hoisted by their own petard
>>
>>648858
Why are you hunting weasel?

Anyway I use a similar method for minks who are an invasive species. They're cute, but they're replacing our otter population, and already eradicated the european polecats.

Although it is not feasible to eradicate the minks in the long run, it is more than likely we could slow down their expansion enough to allow the other wildlife to adapt slightly.
>>
>>649609
Weasel has always been the fur of kings
>>
>>649586
I am not a hunter. That is sport.
I am a trapper. I harvest wildlife efficiently and have a greater understanding and respect for my furry brethren than you do.
>>
>>649586
People have to eat.
People have to wear clothes,
And someone has to kill and animal in order for you to eat, and to wear your leather belt.
If you choose to force others to kill animals for you that's cool.
But stop bitching at those who do the killing.
Cuck.
>>
>>649675
Hey!
Hive mind.
>>
>>649665
If by weasel you mean ermine
>>
OP here, finally got around to putting up some mink I caught back in October. The ice was finally walkable today so I put out a dozen 'rat sets.
>>
File: 20151219_173903.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20151219_173903.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
Forgot to attach pic
>>
File: 20151218_063001.jpg (3MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20151218_063001.jpg
3MB, 3264x1836px
>>649184

.22lr
>>
>>649718
What's your bag limit?
Here it's five
>>
File: 20151220_160253.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20151220_160253.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
8 muskrats and a weasel today
>>
>>649913
Bag?

Shoot as many as you can and leave them for the hawks and falcons or to bait feral cats and ferrets to eat.
>>
>>650120
How much do you get for a weasel?
>>
>>650496
well that's wasteful as fuck
>>
>>649666
Hunting isn't strictly a sport. And it's really not respectful to leave animals to suffer in a trap until you decide to come claim it.
>>
File: hand-in-trap.jpg (96KB, 620x348px) Image search: [Google]
hand-in-trap.jpg
96KB, 620x348px
>>650762
>And it's really not respectful to leave animals to suffer in a trap until you decide to come claim it.

Conibear traps are near instantly fatal. Leg hold traps are not painful (pic related). A proper trapper ethically places traps to minimize suffering. Camouflaging traps so you don't catch the wrong animal, providing cover near leghold traps so an animal can shelter itself, checking traps frequently etc. Wearing fur has less of an environmental impact when trapping is properly regulated as compared to wearing synthetics that come from petroleum products. If you want to see animals suffer see them after an oil spill. Don't drink the peta koolaid.
>>
>>650782
>something
Good grief you faggot, its only an inimal
>>
>>650762
Many trappers modify their traps to prevent the animal from suffering. I spend as much modifying traps as I do on traps.
>>
>>648858
I haven't trapped since I was a kid. (Neither does anyone I know since nobody wears fur anymore) I am about to start again though. I just paid a $1200 vet bill yesterday after my dog got torn up by a coyote. They have over run my state and have really hurt the deer, rabbit and ground nesting bird populations.
>>
>>651149
A bullet would have been a better choice. You can get as many dogs as you want free at the shelter and it saves them from being gassed
>>
>>650496
I would put a bullet in your neck if I ever seen you doing that shit.
>>
>>649586
Hunting is a more ethical and environmentally friendly source of meat than farm raised animals. Fuck off.
>>
>>651197

Do you know what a rabbit plague is dickhead?
>>
>>651720
No, and he probably doesn't know the horrors of an emu war either.
>>
File: 20151223_162652.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20151223_162652.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
6 more muskrats and a weasel
>>
>>650737
Just a dollar or two
>>
>>649718
Whatever happened to the .410? I love to hunt rabbit with a .410, but that's largely because I use my grandfather's shotgun.
>>
>>651943

We won the Moa war.
>>
>>652291
Its too loud, I can lay on a hill and pop them out to 100m on a fine day with no wind and it only scares them after several shots in one direction.
>>
File: image.jpg (4MB, 2438x2963px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
4MB, 2438x2963px
Trapped a red fox about a month ago. First time ever doing it.
>>
>>652583
:[
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 2424x2803px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 2424x2803px
>>652584
Here's after I shot it
>>
>>652585
:[
>>
>>649680
Same difference breh. In the winter weasels change their brown summer coat for a white one.
>>
>>652585

fuck yeah bro
shoot that fucking faggot
>>
File: egdemaster9001.jpg (51KB, 640x416px) Image search: [Google]
egdemaster9001.jpg
51KB, 640x416px
>>652619
I fully support and condone the harvest of fur but you are an absolute fuckwit.
>>
alright bros
i got an awesome trapper story

this actually happened, so don't be upset, ok?

>out trapping near paxon alaska
>i'm bent over gutting this arctic fox with my knife
>suddenly i feel three heavy taps on my shoulder
>i instantly knew what it was before turning around to look, because i also felt its claws
>its a fucking black bear
>i literally almost do a forward flip but end up just tripping away trying to stand and fall at the same time
>this fucking bear is just sitting upright, with his bottom feet sticking out, like casual as fuck
>he is right next to my fucking rifle which is leaning against the tree right fucking next to him
>so im just standing there completely in shock looking at him, wondering how am i going to grab this fucking gun
>then suddenly the bear is doing this sign language shit at me
>i have never seen an animal do something like this before, it was obvious he was trying to communicate in his own primitive way
>all my fear instantly turned into intrigue, the bear was making a real effort to establish basic communication and there clearly was no need to fear for my life anymore
>i was still standing there just looking at him though, i could tell this bear was extremely intelligent. it was quite obvious he had roughly patched together what he had observed humans do
>this animal was truly aware, i felt as if i was visited by one of the rare beings special beings of earth. something that only comes around once in a million years
>now the bear starts moaning and making noises
>he falls on his back and is making puppy gestures to pet his belly
>i thought to myself "well, iv'e got work to do, and he's obviously not going to leave me alone"
>so i casually walked over, grabbed my gun and planted a .308 FMJ right between his ears
>he was just looking at me the entire time before his eyes fell lifeless
>as if he didn't understand why i would do such a thing

still got the fucker hanging on my wall too
best faggot i have ever shot dead
>>
>>652651
Either a smart bear
or one that was released from captivity
or a bodhisatta who happens to be a bear in that cycle of rebirth
>>
File: Lot of fur.jpg (123KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
Lot of fur.jpg
123KB, 640x427px
>>652583
Just need a few more to reach legendary status.
>>
>>652651
Hunting with a full metal jacket anywhere is illegal.
Fake story, and you are an edgy fag.
>>
I never hunted/trapped before, mostly because of fuckk-off gun laws in my communist country, but I was curious to know: how the fuck do you make sure you are not eating some parasite-infested animal? The hunters I know send a piece of the meat to a lab, that clears the meat safe to eat. Can`t do that while /out/.

Also, I image i would feel somewhat guilty for killing any animal, how do I get around that?
>>
>>652651
Completely fake. Even if it wasn't fake you're a worthless piece of shit that gives hunters and trappers a bad name.
>>
>>653008
>>653390

fucking bitches, shut the hell up
you aint no trapper

and FMJ is perfectly legal out here for self defense, not for hunting, fucktards

lol fuck animal life, you fucking pussies
shoot faggots dead all day
>>
>>653409
This is why people hate hunters and trappers.
>>
>trap first squirrel today
>attempt to skin it
>make cuts like YouTube video tells me to
>begin to pull off fur
>doesn't come off cleanly
>spine sticks to fur
>guts fall out
>smell makes me gag
>pull skin harder
>squirrel snaps in half

How do I make sure this doesn't happen again?
>>
>>652651
This is a great story regardless of truth, thanks anon
>>
>>653390
>>653008
>>652688
all of you are completely mentally challenged
>>
>>654527
yes
>>
>Local guy died recently of a mongoose bite with rabies
>Too scared to go out

If I see one of those fuckers I am gonna shot it down.
>>
>>653387
i had a parasitology professor ask us that questionthis is the conversation
>"ok who knows the best method of killing any parasite:
>blank stares from 99% of the class
>"batter and hot oil"

weird but high heat kills 99.999% of parasites that's why you cook pork to 160F to kill tanea solium (pork tapeworm), that 0.001% of parasites not killed are so badass that not much will kill those. also if you are worried about parasites at home and dont have acces to a lab for testing your meat, freezing the meat for I think its 3-4 weeks will kill many of even the hardiest of parasites.

If you are eating wild fish while /out/ when you get back get your hands on some pickled ginger and garlic both have antiparasitc properties on intestinal worms.
I hope any of this will help
>>
>>653003
Hunting on that level is fucking up ecosystems. Honestly, who the fuck traps for ermines or weasels anyway? Kill wild cats or something that doesn't belong into wilderness.
>>
>>655148
Yeah, I was wondering why anyone would need to lab test game. Those free-range, GMO and growth hormone free animals are a lot healthier than sleeping-in-their-own-filth farm animals could ever be. Cook thoroughly and enjoy!
>>
>>649431
don't cut me with that edge
>>
>>655154
If it fucked up the ecosystem so bad how could he catch around 1,000 every year from the same locations?
>>
>>652651
Alaska fag here.
Daily reminder there's no black bear in PAXSON, ak. Only brown.

Story is fake and gay
>>
If say i was to trap the rats of the sky(pigeons or doves) alive, would it be feasible or even possible to feed them up on clean grains and the like, and remove any diseases they might have, then eat them?
i ask this because i just finished mowing my lawn and as quick as it took me to crack a beer and sit on my balcony admiring my yard they were down there haveing a fat old time and i thought, welll they would do nicely in my oven for dinner
>>
Is it legal to live trap deer? I can't eat shot game only slit it's throat.
>>
>>651149
Actually, the reintroduction of coyotes and other predators keeps populations of prey animals healthy and in check. Sucks about your dog though, I'd be outside with a good rifle for some vengeance too.
>>
hi guys, how do you trap squirels ? suquirel is a discret animal and i wonder how do you see them when you'r hunting, i'd like to shot one but i don't know how to do it

sorry for my english level, i'm from france
>>
>>655941
Hello frenchbro. This is poaching (braconnage) and since you sound twelve, you'll certainly get caught. A lot of people poach once in a while but bracos who get caught are scum. If you're above 18 please forget the idea.
>>
>>655941
>how do you see them when you'r hunting
Sit down by a BIG oak tree and be quiet.

Use a shotgun with #4 shot if the leaves are still on the trees, use a 4x magnification scoped .22 LR if the leaves have fallen off.

You might also have luck along the tree lines surrounding agricultural fields.
>>
>>652651
>not fucking the bear like it obviously wanted
>>
File: 1437769657068.jpg (65KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1437769657068.jpg
65KB, 1920x1080px
>>655848

wut
>>
>>655941
rat traps work well for squirrels
>>
yeah, rat traps for little birds are also good
>>
>>655941
Walk carefully in the fall. Listen for the sound of falling nuts/ acorns. Stalk toward them. Shoot them in the head. If you find an area with squirrel you can also lean a long limb against a tree and place a trap or snare on it.
>>
File: 20160103_143725.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160103_143725.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
Caught two beaver under ice over the weekend, the larger one is 40+ lbs. The gf and I set up 3 lodges with baired 330s suspended in the wayer and another lodge with some snare poles. We only had action at one lodge. After some research I learned beaver are less active the week or two after Christmas so hopefully that's why the other 3 lodges didn't have any action.
>>
File: 20160103_115735.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160103_115735.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
>>658440
The smaller beaver is missing a foot because I cut it off for the dog to play with. Pic is a lodge we put snare poles at
>>
>>658440
Looks like two smelly poops plopped on to the floor. Flush! Flush!
>>
>>653848
I'm getting into trapping, wouldn't be surprised if that happened to me.
>>
>>659565
I found out it was because the squirrel wasn't fresh, which causes the muscles to stick to the skin more. I had picked it up off the road since I thought it would've been better to practice on before I start actually trapping, but no. I trapped a squirrel a couple days later and the fur came off much easier.
>>
File: 1451235473676.jpg (60KB, 400x404px) Image search: [Google]
1451235473676.jpg
60KB, 400x404px
>>659857
you tried to skin roadkill?
>>
>>660534
Why not?
>>
>>660683
Why
>>
>>663398
Free fur/meat
>>
>>653848
was it dead before you tried skinning it or after? speaking from experience, if you try to skin them while they're still alive it can be an issue.
>>
>>663664
Almost cut myself on that edge
Thread posts: 89
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.