[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Flying, is this the most dangerous hobby? There are hundreds

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 8

File: download (5).jpg (7KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
download (5).jpg
7KB, 259x194px
Flying, is this the most dangerous hobby?

There are hundreds upon hundreds of videos on the internet of crashes involving private aircraft, nearly all of them due to engine failure during take-off.
The pilots themselves say that you must be always ready for an emergency situation because they WILL happen, and each one you survive prepares you for the next one that will eventually come, no matter how good and well maintained the plane is, problems just happen in private aircraft.

It looks fun as shit, but godamn, a hobby where shit might just happen and you simply crash and die? Why people do this?
>>
> its fun, but its dangerous
just like almost everything :D

i think it just depends how much risk you are willing to take. and how real that risk is. i think its quite safe but you should look up your national statics, but if you do it right and aren't a drunk farmer in a plane used twice a year for spraying pesticide. it should be fine like comrecial flight.
for example in my country many small planes have car engines (since they are developed on a far far higher budget) and they are really fucking relaible.
>>
>>456914

>webm

Holy shit. What's the story behind this?
>>
>>456921
looks like two small single engine planes crashing mid air, at least one of them carrying multiple skydivers

mid air crashes among small planes are lot more common than you might think
>>
>>456914
Post the vid of the guy with the gopro kek
>>
File: best gopro add.webm (3MB, 960x540px)
best gopro add.webm
3MB, 960x540px
>>456966
more gopro stuff you say? pic related

>>456940
yeah pretty much, 2 groups of skydivers want to make a special jump. they go up in to planes, they collide mid air. all of them jump out. nobody hurt to badly
here you go now with more camra angles
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p6hqMnsLFY
>>
>>456972
Sauce on pic pls. Did not expect that kek
>>
File: ISIS drive by.webm (2MB, 640x360px)
ISIS drive by.webm
2MB, 640x360px
>>456981
as far as i know its just some random attack from your standart middel east extremists. its just happens that these days far more good footage is avilable
>>
>>456988
Shit they killed the fuck outta them niggas
>>
>>456972
So what happened to the pilots then? Did they get out?
>>
>>457020
Upon further Google Inspection, the pilot of the flaming plane jumped out...had a parachute, the pilot of the other plane landed it. I should Google before asking questions.
>>
>>456909
Pilot here, both a military and a civilian one. It's not that dangerous, but when you could end up killing yourself because you forgot to flip a switch, then you tend to be anal retentive about safety. I love flying out into the backcountry or landing on floats in remote lakes and fly fishing and camping. What do you want to know?
>>
>>457034
Are you just recreational or do you do it for a living?

Are you an owner/operator?
>>
>>456909
No, because apparently, there are people that have sex with dolphins and sharks. Considering they are not doing this professionally, I would say its a more dangerous hobby
>>
>>457183
Both. I'm a military pilot and a civilian one as well. The civil gig is just for funsies. I don't own a plane yet, but I almost bought a Piper Pacer this year. I have a couple more student loans to pay off and then I'm picking one up.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Hey, nice to see fellow pilots on here. Private working on instrument here, and I couldn't be happier. I can't think of anything more fun than to take off on a Saturday morning on a dick-around VFR flight. I'm hoping to get into the Navy and fly something in there for a while, but I dream of backcountry flying all day. Maybe when I'm old and fat I will. As long as I'm flying I can't complain!

>pic related, a hop over to KPAN from KPRC in the C172 NAVIII
>>
>>458607

>Dat Echo Romeo tail number

Class of 2010, Daytona, Aero Engineering

I'm guessing you're AS? At Prescott?
>>
>>458610
Yes and yes. Class of 2017, still in the thick of it. I could never do AE, the amount of math and physics is just too damn high. Then again, the flight department is equally as frustrating at times
>>
>>456909
Safer than driving
>>
>>458835
Commercial jets yes, small planes no.
>>
>>458688
Nah dude, you can push through it. I was an AFROTC cadet, served my first 4 years as an engineer and now am flying as a captain. It's been a wild ride.
>>
>>456909
Another pilotfag here. Flying can be very safe-- but only if you follow the rules, know your procedures, know your maintenance is up to snuff, and don't do anything stupid. Accidents and incidents don't just happen, there's always a chain of fuck-ups leading to them. Break a link in that chain of fuck-ups, and you prevent an accident/incident.

If you want to get into flying, start with a reputable flight school. A lot of them will offer an "intro flight", basically a 30-minute flight lesson in a single-engine trainer. The 30 minutes goes in your logbook toward getting your rating, and it lets you "get your feet wet" in aviation without committing to a lot of money.
>>
>>456909
Check out AOPA magazine.

People die every fuckin day flyin planes.

If you want to be a pilot you need to be studious, calm, clear-headed, resourceful, analytic, and fearful.

Most of the pilots who die, die because they decided to fly in bad weather that they can't handle. A lot of guys also get tunnel vision in poor conditions, they only see their destination. Lot of guys die because they were too stubborn to put it down in a field and wait out the storm.

Another shitload of pilots die because of ground effect. They make a late landing and try to touch-and-go, then they get a few hundred feet and drop like a rock and die.
>>
>>458966
aren't you that shitbag from /k/?
>>
I've flown, driven commercial vehicles, SCUBA dived, and rock climbed. I think there's a lot of similarities between these, in terms of their mentalities.

Specifically, they all share the concept that, by the time an untrained person starts to notice a problem, there is in fact a major problem which is too late to halt. I find it's an interesting practice, and one we get very little formal education in: how and when to switch mentality from 'business as usual' to 'contingency.' Notice I didn't say 'problem solving.' The weather goes downhill, or your engine dies. How do you solve these problems? Maybe the engine restarts, but who's to say it's not going to die again. Why waste time trying to 'fix' something that you really can't (are you going to just step out the plane and pop the hood?), when that time could be used finding a place to land? And yet, this is exactly when many accidents happen. A commercial airliner flew into a mountainside: the crew of 3 were busy trying to figure out why an indicator light seemed to have burned out.

I find it's a useful mindset in everyday life, because it lets you provide leadership and make decisions when others often seem to go into shock. When do you decide to call an ambulance or fire department? It could be seen as an admission of failure, as with an accidental fire, or a realization that a medical condition is really serious, and someone's life could be at stake. Your parent is having a stroke, there is no time to 'problem solve.' Calling the ambulance does not 'make it real,' it's already real, and calling the ambulance means it can get dealt with sooner.

That was a little off topic. Flying is lots of fun, and can be done very safely. Leave the time-sensitive flights to meetings, or punching through storm clouds to the pros with their big planes, fancy radars, and years of experience. They'll get you from A to B more quickly and for less money. Never be afraid to 'scrub' the fight, even for something really minor.
>>
>>459706
Interesting insight, thanks.
>>
>>459029
Yes. I am that shitbag.
>>
>>459706
I agree with everything you say, except the part about punching through storm clouds. Those big planes have those fancy radars so they DONT punch through storm clouds. Storm clouds are not to be trifled with. Not with grandma and the kids on board.
>>
>>459706

Jesus christ, my parents have so many stories about utter noobs refusing to rope up while crossing glaciers in the Andes. Every time, some idiot would barely catch himself in time to keep from falling into a crevasse, and everyone would rope up immediately. I'm a fucking idiot edgelord who's not afraid of dying and even I'm not that retarded.

Last Sunday I was traveling home and my flight was canceled due to wind/snow at the destination airport. The pilot explained that it was just barely too windy and that (in his estimation) the plane could deffo handle it, but that it would be illegal to even attempt it. So, sorry Charlie.

The next available flight was two days away. I was so pissed I rented a car and drove at 70 mph through terrible blowing snow (at night) for 300 miles. A few other drivers were as stupid as I was, and I saw two cars that passed me lying wrecked on the side of the road later on.

Now I'm sitting in a comfy chair, keeping warm and eating vegetables I canned last summer. I'm pretty sure winter is a season for people who can plan ahead and appreciate simple things like just being alive and having adequate food/shelter.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (34KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
34KB, 480x360px
>>459963
>The pilot explained that it was just barely too windy and that (in his estimation) the plane could deffo handle it, but that it would be illegal to even attempt it.

This is more often than not the case. Most transport category aircraft have a maximum demonstrated crosswind component of about 30 knots-- but that's only the limit actually demonstrated for certification purposes. The plane and pilot might be capable of handling much more, but if the weather report gives a crosswind component of 31... guess what? If anything, ANYTHING goes wrong, at all, everyone and their dog will sue and fine the airline, and the pilot will get hung out to dry. "Sorry folks! Looks like we're not flying today!"

I had to make that call a lot, and no one liked it, but you know what? I do not give one single fuck. The passengers are too dumb to understand the decision being made beyond "Baww, I'm mad I can't go where I want when I want." and no one else gets thrown under the bus if metal gets bent or people get hurt. The person with the responsibility has the authority, which is why they call them the Pilot in Command.

Good call driving though. As a general rule of thumb, if the drive is 5 hours or less, you're just about going to break even time-wise over flying, and that's if there's no delays anywhere at the airport.
>>
File: aviondeespaldabooks37.jpg (527KB, 685x945px) Image search: [Google]
aviondeespaldabooks37.jpg
527KB, 685x945px
>>
>>456914
They all lived. Amazing really.
>>
>>460109
>if the drive is 5 hours or less, you're just about going to break even time-wise over flying

If only we (U.S.) had more HSR

How many of you are from /n/?
>>
>>459956
Fair enough. The advantage radar gives, is that they can know the nature of a cloud, before deciding to punch through. Especially important at night, where major systems can be invisible before you're inside them. But yeah, in general, no punching through storm clouds.
>>
>>459963
>>459706
10/10 posts
>>
>>456909
Heli is more dangerous than fixed wing.
>>
File: madmaxgyro.jpg (59KB, 750x540px) Image search: [Google]
madmaxgyro.jpg
59KB, 750x540px
Someday ill build myself an autogyro, those are the shit
>>
>>462000
Yes! Trips of truth.
The one in James bond called little nellie or similar was the shit. Back before all this cgi shit.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.