[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Homegrowmen Thread #103

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 318
Thread images: 81

File: 103.jpg (2MB, 3197x5000px) Image search: [Google]
103.jpg
2MB, 3197x5000px
Old thread: >>1074788

Search terms:

Companion Planting - Raised Beds - Hugelkultur - Vertical Gardening - Square Foot Gardening - Polyculture - Composting - Windrow Composting - Mulching - Vermiculture - Espalier - Fungiculture - Aquaponics - Greenhouses - Cold Frames - Hot Boxes - Polytunnels - Forest Gardening - Aquaculture - Mittlieder Method - Keyhole Garden - Window Frame Garden - Straw Bale Gardening - Soil-bag Gardening - Lasagna Gardening - No-till Method - Container Gardening - Ollas Irrigation - Kratky Method

Chickens - Goats - Pigs - Sheep - Cattle - Ducks - Turkey - Honey Bees - Geese - Llama - Alpaca - Fish - Crayfish

Resources:

https://pastebin.com/4CqXsHFm

Secondary Edible Parts of Vegetables:
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/newsletters/hortupdate/hortupdate_archives/2005/may05/SecVeget.html

Scans of Classic Herbal Texts:
http://www.henriettes-herb.com/eclectic/index.html
>>
File: Homegrowmen Page.png (227KB, 396x382px) Image search: [Google]
Homegrowmen Page.png
227KB, 396x382px
>>
File: IMG_20170818_190107.jpg (4MB, 2610x4640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170818_190107.jpg
4MB, 2610x4640px
>>1083849
Thanks mang. Pink Habanero also caught my eye, and I'll be growing some jalapeño for sure.
I'm okay with sending out seeds to /hgm/ bros, international letters don't cost too much. Whatever you get, it'll be colourful, the 4 ornamentals I have are growing very close together.
>Explosive Ember
>Bolivian Rainbow
>CAP 1166 (cute little marbles that ripen from green to black to red)
>Numex Twilight
With a Caramel Bhut half a meter away from them, this one is the most likely to grow true from seed (though I've read that the caramel version isn't completely stable yet).

Pic is cap 1166 & bhut. I had seedlings left over, read you could fuse them, but only after putting them together I learned they need to be the same family to properly grow together.
So I left them in the small pot, outside instead of in the greenhouse. Still pretty neat imho.
>>
>>1084067
>>1084082
Wilting can be from heat or lack of water. It is when the vines are starting to turn yellow and die that you know you can harvest without regard to ripeness. If your plant is healthy you can check the resting spot on the watermelon. If it is white, it isn't ripe. It if is yellow, it is ripe. The more yellow it becomes the riper it will be. Don't rotate the watermelon, always keep the same side touching the ground/board so you can use the spot as a good ripeness indicator. If your watermelons are hanging, you'll need to go by the number of days the watermelon has been growing to determine ripeness. Thumping the side of a watermelon, for the sound, can be very hit or miss.

>>1084148
>CAP 1166

Neat looking peppers. Though, the pot seems a bit small and the bhut looks like it has too much water. Growing the different cultivars in a single pot like that can be a problem since one may be fine with more water than the other one. Or, the requirements of one exceed the other, or they compete too much. In this instance, I think the CAP 1166 can withstand the extra water but the bhut can't.

Yeah, they are in different. They are in the same Family and Genus, but simply different species. CAP 1166 (Capsicum annuum var CAP 1166) and Caramel Bhut (Capsicum chinense X Capsicum frutescens var. caramel).
>>
>>1084399
Yeah, I learned that after repotting them, and since I didn't have any other seedlings, bigger pots, and greenhouse space left, I just basicly gave up on them. I didn't think the bhut would survive, but peppers really are tough motherfuckers.
Since my main bhut is so massive and bulky I'm gonna try using it as a base to graft some next year. Bhut base, with all my colorful ornamentals on top of it, so I'll have more room for properly tasting ones.
>>
>>1084416
I wonder if the "Capsicum chinense X Capsicum frutescens" does better grafted to C. chinese or C frutescens or if both are fine.
>>
Okay so I'm a fucking retard. I just got a bottle of Vitax citrus summer feed for my tree and I don't understand the instructions. It says to put 5g of feed into 2.5l of water and apply weekly. Does that mean make one 2.5l can of feed and pour some on every week or pour 2.5l of watered down feed into the plant once every week? It's not very clearly written.
>>
>>1084561
Mix it up and only give it the same amount of water as you normally do. Is it potted and if so, does the feed packaging have instructions for potted plants and plants out in the ground? Potted plants need less.
>>
>>1084562
It's potted but it doesn't say anything about it being potted. I think I'll just mix up some and pour some over, 2.5l of water in a potted plant would just be daft.
>>
>>1084564
You could just put 1g in .5l of water...
>>
>>1084561
let me meme arrow it for you:
>5g PER 2.5l water
>Your watering can takes 5l of water
>5/2.5 = 2
>2 x 5 = 10
>dissolve 10g of feed in your can of water
>multiply/divide according to the amount of water you use for watering once
>or mix one full can in a spare and use up over time

Fertilizers are designed to be dissolved in a ratio that the solution can be given like regular watering, if unsure, prewater plant and give a little less of the solution.
>>
>>1084570
>>1084574

Okay I think I've broke the back of it. I've put about 3g in a 1.5L can and I'm leaving it on the side and pouring it on every Saturday.
>>
File: Cross-Peppers.jpg (42KB, 632x140px) Image search: [Google]
Cross-Peppers.jpg
42KB, 632x140px
>>1084148
A little warning though, my potted Jalapenos don't do that well compared to other C.Annuums in pots or their brethren in the bed, so use a pot as big as possible, like the one with your Bulk Jolokia for maximum growth and yield.
If you want some pepper seeds leave some throwaway email here to exchange info and I'll send you some. Already mentioned some variants, but I have plenty of tested seeds from a few more as well.

The four other peppers you have a C.Annuums, the Bulk Jolokia is, as >>1084399
already said, an oddity between C.Chinense and C.Frutescens. Check pic related about crossing probability. It's also worth noting it does not exactly work like that, the 0.5m will do squat. Peppers are self-pollinating, but there are still insects and such a short distance can easily be bridged by a gust of wind.
And of all five common cultivars, C.Chinense and C.Annuum are the ones that cross the easiest with each other. But you can never be sure and most crossing isn*t that radical.
>Rainbow Jolokia
Would be neat, but very unlikely sadly.

Don't worry too much about crossing though. It's not that important unless you sell seeds professionally.
>>
>>1084580
Exactly.
>>
>>1084588
>does not exactly work like that
*does not exactly work as you think with distances to prevent crossong
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-08-19-12-04-43.jpg (1MB, 1440x1506px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-08-19-12-04-43.jpg
1MB, 1440x1506px
This little weirdo started growing to the right of my kumquat.

What could it be?
>>
>>1084624

Its evil brother, the quatkum.
>>
>>1084630
Bastard. I thought I sealed him in circa 1200AD.
>>
>>1084588
I handpollinated a lot of the first flowers, and the bulk was the latest to bloom, and they are all in a greenhouse, so there is a good chance at least that one is pure.
I was hoping to achieve Rainbow Jolokia by grafting, not crossing.
Thanks for the input!
Throwaway mail: [email protected]
>>
Can someone please explain overwintering pepper plants to me, all I'm finding on it online is soccer mom tier clickbait
>>
File: 2017-08-20_00-01-34.jpg (713KB, 1800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
2017-08-20_00-01-34.jpg
713KB, 1800x1200px
>>1084710
Bumping for interest, I too failed at that last year.
Dug out three plants very generously last year mid-November and pruned, then placed in different environments (cool and dark, warm and bright, cool and bright) but all 3 died.
So this year I'm keeping 3 plants potted directly, with mixed results: the potted Cayenne is doing MUCH better than those I planted in the ground (potted one already gave >100 fruits since mid-June while those in ground only recently started giving a few, maybe 50 total from 4 plants so far), but the bell varieties are yielding much smaller fruit potted whereas those planted out give huge ones (see pic). Maybe I need even bigger pots for them, but screw that, I already have more than enough shit to haul inside for winter
>>
>>1084710
This is what I do. This keeps the plants alive and growing, not dormant.
Dig out plants and put in pots. Do this before they're obviously suffering from the changing season. Prune them back pretty hard. This will save space and it's good for their growth pattern anyway. Put them under light, 4 bulb 4 foot shop light at 12/12.
Doing this will sustain as many plants as I can get on a 4'x2' shelf. Ornamentals will even fruit in these conditions. I have many plants in their second and third seasons right now and never lose any.
>>
>>1084822
I'm >>1084736 and from Germoni, so sunlight between November and January is very sparse, and electricity extremely expensive (~€0.35/kWh). I do have a 24W LED grow light which works really well for tomato or pepper starts in January/February and isn't too taxing even if it runs 24/7 for a couple months, as it can raise dozens of plants in the beginning.
But for grown out pepper plants, I'd probably need a lamp each per plant running 4+ months which exceeds my budget a little... so, is a cold+dark overwintering just impossible? I'd prefer that if it's somehow doable over warm+bright (simulating summer)
>>
>>1084132
I want to start a small outdoor veggie garden how my dad used to have before he got too old to handle it himself. What veggies would be good to grow for a novice (except for tomatoes,its the only thing my dad grew when i was younger and ive had so many in my life ive grown sick of them)? im thinking broccoli, onions (idk which kind would be best, but from a cursory goodle search green onions), and carrots, to go with a good fall pot roast. i dont have the exact measurements of the area I would like to grow in right now, but it would be somewhat limited as the yard I have is pretty small. Also, I wanna use a raised garden bed with topsoil mixed in with peat moss, i dont think that matters, but i dont know.
>>
>>1084853
Pruning them reduce their foliage and you have less lighting to do. Cold + dark doesn't work for me, it just slowly dies. Warm and not bright enough during a long time (months) led me to lengthening branches then decay of such or such branches.
>>
>>1084853
Supposedly you can make pepper plants go dormant in the dark and overwinter that way. I have no experience doing that.
Anyway
I use 4 32W bulbs 12 hours a day = 1.54kWh. At your prices its less than 4€ per week to run the lights. I guess it comes down to how much the plants are worth to you/how confident you are in the dormant method. I like keeping them alive and growing because I enjoy tending to them when everything outside is frozen.
>>
>>1084853
>>1084710
I dig them up, put them in large pots, prune them back, and place them under a couple 40w 4-feet long LED shop lights. I keep the lights 2 inches from the leaves. I place them in front of a window that has only 4 hours of direct sunlight a day and place light reflectors around everything and over the soil.
>>
>>1084870
>>1084871
>>1085055
Alright thanks for sharing the experience, might work with lights too this time then, and might bring at least one of them inside a bit earlier
>>
File: mqdefault.jpg (9KB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
mqdefault.jpg
9KB, 320x180px
>tfw getting 2 massive loads of horse manure, for the compost pile, today

How's your compost pile, /hgm/?
>>
>>1085379

Best get some nematodes and protozoa to cycle that nitrogen you nigger
>>
>>1085379
Got 3 piles of 1 m^3 each, the oldest one being turned around last time in Oct 2015, so soon it'll be time to dig that one under again (it needs about 2 years fermentation in our cool oceanic climate).
>>
Any other rentbros here? Do you guys make raised beds and nice gardens or do you try and make portable shit that can be packed up and moved on?

I don't have a house and land yet. I don't mind spending the cash on a hobby that I can enjoy, it just irks me to spend hundreds and have to leave it behind because I might be moving on after this summer.
>>
File: IMG_20170329_093840.jpg (2MB, 4640x2610px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170329_093840.jpg
2MB, 4640x2610px
>>1085475
I'm renting, on the first floor, with a large-ish balcony. Pots this year to see if I liked the hobby, probably some raised planters next year, and another or a bigger greenhouse.
>>
File: 152232972.jpg (107KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
152232972.jpg
107KB, 640x427px
>>1085444
No worries, everything gonna be alright.

>>1085474
I usually give mine 2 years as well. Though, at the beginning of the second year, I check to see if it is ready for squash or pumpkin.

>>1085475
If I had to rent, I'd use those huge containers to garden in as well as 5-gallon buckets. That way it is mobile no matter what happens suddenly.
>>
>>1085536
I have a bunch of big containers, but I'm bad at container gardening.
>>
File: gardening_by_mackmac-d7a0gyd.jpg (250KB, 741x1079px) Image search: [Google]
gardening_by_mackmac-d7a0gyd.jpg
250KB, 741x1079px
>>1085594
>I'm bad at container gardening.

Learn to be good at it. It isn't difficult.
>>
>>1085594
What!
Container gardening is easier than free gardening.
>>
>>1085940
Not easier to keep watered
>>
How would someone realize if they want to get into self-reliant farming?
The idea is appealing to me but sadly I have no way to really try it without going all in and buying property.
>>
>>1086117
Start a small container garden. Get some tomatoes or anything else you're interested in growing. Start small.
>>
>>1086022
The more you know!
>>
I don't have a bunch of different sized containers, so my plants try and spend all season looking for limits on the new containers which are quite large.probably makes them hard to water and shit.
>>
>>1086146
Succulents are arid plants and once their roots are established can go long periods without water, I really wouldn't worry about your sempervivums and echeverias from dying if you go away for a week.
>>
>>1086163
That's a googled image, fyi.

Wick method is a very common watering system method used by 1,000s of people on many types of plants. You will need to adjust how large a wick and resistor of water to use. You can use this for anything from bonsai to tomatoes. I find it is best to use a covered container, cover the soil with plastic wrap, and run the wick through tubing. Keep in mind that some plants, like tomatoes can take upwards of 1 gallon of water every day.

There are tons of various types of self-watering systems to choose from.
>>
>>1086146
Wait, should not the wick and water source be _lower_ than the plants??

It might overwater or something otherwise.
>>
>>1086171
It is fine either way. There's no suction caused since the wick is open and not in a tube. Even if it was in a tube, the tube itself would need to be filled 100% without any air breaking the suction for it to siphon. Instead, it uses osmosis. The wick will stay wet until the plant or air remove moisture from it then it pulls more water from the reservoir.
>>
File: DSC_0190a.jpg (4MB, 6000x4000px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0190a.jpg
4MB, 6000x4000px
UPDATE: Solar Eclipse!

I finally have enough pieces of the new camera bought to actually take photos. I'm still getting used to how to take images with a DSLR as far as focusing. The files sizes are twice as large as my old camera, over 10mb for a single image (24.2megapixel). Here's what one looks like reduced enough to post.

2/3 of the sunflowers are done and harvested. Half of that was lost to rain and mold, evidently they rot super fast. The pumpkin hill has finally slowed down. It and all the other vines are starting to succumb to squash beetles and squash bugs, but the crops are so massive that it isn't much of a problem. This area is starting to cool off for Autumn now. The watermelons were okay, but nothing to write home about. The peppers are starting to ripen. The luffa sponges are everywhere, doing well, and have tons and tons of fruit. Most of the tomatoes in the main garden are done for the season, though Row 8 is still going strong with red Italian pear tomatoes. The apple trees have a bumper crop this year. Everyone's fruit trees are tearing limbs off this year because of it.

The lower garden has been producing tons of yellow pear tomatoes. Nearly all of its brassica plants and potatoes have been removed and those areas reseeded with lots of leafy greens, both domesticated and wild. It is nice having gravel paths in it now. The clay garden has weeds everywhere. The tomatoes in it are coming on in full force though. The potatoes there still need dug up.

The poultry now have a smaller enclosure that's fully protected from predators. I'm still installing skirt fencing around the 1-acre lot. When I finally get that done, I'll try releasing the chickens and turkeys back into the large area.
>>
File: DSC_0012a.jpg (4MB, 3072x2724px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0012a.jpg
4MB, 3072x2724px
>>1086179
The harvest has been a real workout. There's more squash than I know what to do with. I have around 100 quarts (25 gallons) of tomatoes canned. When the pumpkins and apples are ready to process I'm in fear of running out of jars this year. I have something like 400 empty jars I think. I need to build a cider press and apple grinder very soon.
>>
>>1086169
>resistor of water

"reservoir" of water.

Blaming spellcheck for that typo.
>>
>>1084862
Where are you gardening?
>>
>>1085379
Make sure they dont use hay that is sprayed with pesticide or your grass wont be able to grow anything but corn for the next five years.
>>
>>1086401

How's that work?
>>
>>1086399
kentucky. i did more research, and decided i would just plant broccoli in a 2x10 raised bed garden, which would yield about 15 plants. however, its apparently too late. for broccoli, apparently youre supposed to plant it at max 85 days before the first frost of the season (september 22nd for me) and since its 60 days out until then, its too late for this season. ill still build the raised garden bed this season and when spring comes around, ill plant them then.
>>
so it finally happened
after a dozen and a half of attempts I finally succeeded in making a mango seed sprout - in fact there was very little I had to do with it, just this once I did not try to germinate it on a wet napkin, in a ziplock bag and such, I just put it in a pot 2cm underground and left it outside for a while. To be completely honest I'm surprised it didn't rot because it's been either cold (10-15, max 20 degrees celsius) past few weeks or raining.

What do I do for now to keep it alive? I suppose I would have to take it indoors for the winter anyways (eastern europe winter)
>>
Sorry in advance if this is the wrong place to post about rose growing, but someone on /diy/ redirected me here

I'm trying to find the name of pic-related so I can grow a rose bush out of it. My girlfriend really likes these flowers but doesn't know their name, so I wanted to grow some and surprise her. Any idea what they're called?
>>
>>1086630
You can also post this in the /an/ thread, they're more ornamental oriented - >>>/an/2461672
>>
>>1084624
Looks like a pussywillow.
>>
>>1086630
Nicole rose
Hannah Gordon rose
Handel rose
>>
Could anyone identify a succulent for me?
>>
File: DSC_4062.jpg (1MB, 1800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_4062.jpg
1MB, 1800x1200px
Am I screwed guys/is that Bermuda grass that's starting to spread in my garden?
(Always only had very similar looking ones leaf-wise before but with totally different flowers which we called "wild millet", or maybe there's difference male-female?)
>>
>>1086808
"Plant" on >>>/an/2461672 is probably the better place to ask, but post a pic here anyway.

>>1086822
I've never known what the problem is with people and this stuff. I have it all over, but it isn't a problem. There's tons of other types of grass as well. Just tear it out or mulch it over.
>>
>>1086827
Just read that it is much more vital/aggressive than other grasses, tolerating more drought, forming extensive roots and being able to regenerate from tiny parts of it, similar to Japanese knotweed.
Because that's the only thing I liked about the dry period here that went from March-June - barely any weeds to take care of
>>
File: Invasive-Bindweed-Fence.jpg (366KB, 1037x1382px) Image search: [Google]
Invasive-Bindweed-Fence.jpg
366KB, 1037x1382px
>>1086834
I suppose I'm jaded since I live in a place where there's tons of fast growing invasive. As soon as you till, 1,000s of weed seeds start popping up. I just mulch everything down and call it a day. Though, I'm moving to edible weeds as cover crops now and it is working out better than expected.

I think the worst plant here is bindweed, which covers just about everything.
>>
An ex-roommate stopped by and took a few ziplock bags of potting soil from open bags of dirt in my backyard.

A few days later she emailed me and told me that the soil was full of termites.

What do I do? Do I even have to worry, since it's outside, aside from the bags being right next to the very old wooden fence that rings my tiny property?
>>
File: IMG_3273.jpg (794KB, 1224x1632px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3273.jpg
794KB, 1224x1632px
Experimented with indoor composting, it stopped growing mold and this piece of oat grass sprouted so it seems to be working.
Its about 2 liters of the stuff.
>>
>>1087072
Did you shit in there?
>>
>>1087078
Its about 95% coffee grounds and tea leaves but it smells like shit.
>>
>>1086925
Why do you need to do anything? Termites are everywhere. Some don't target houses and such. They are only a problem...if they are a problem. So, do you have termite dirt tunnels going up the sides of things and holes being eaten in them? If not, don't worry.

>>1087105
It shouldn't really smell like much of anything. If it smells foul then it may have the wrong mixture ratios, be way too wet, or it doesn't have enough air to get enough oxygen. At worst it should smell like a bag of old but not moldy bread mixed with a bit of spiciness.
>>
>>1087105
You need to let your coffee ground/tea leaves dry before you put them in the pot.
>>
>>1087355
>>1087360
It doesn't anymore, i think it did when it did the majority of its composting but now it just smells like dirt.
>>
>want to go outside
>it's so humid even at night

NC is one of the worst states
>>
>>1084132
Pepperfag here, I made my first cross earlier this season, and just harvested the plant containing the seeds of the cross. It's a jalapeño-pumpkin cross, what the fuck should I expect?
>>
>>1084624

Looks like a Citrus hystrix.
>>
>>1087740
>jalapeño-pumpkin cross

Which pumpkin cultivar?
>>
File: IMG_20170822_152714.jpg (2MB, 4640x2610px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170822_152714.jpg
2MB, 4640x2610px
A thirsty bulk jolokia, with drooped leaves you can see the growing peppers better.
>>
File: IMG_20170824_141005.jpg (2MB, 2610x4640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170824_141005.jpg
2MB, 2610x4640px
Beautiful Bolivian Rainbow
>>
File: IMG_20170822_171422.jpg (719KB, 1728x2304px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170822_171422.jpg
719KB, 1728x2304px
Numex Twilight
>>
File: IMG_0476.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0476.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>tfw plont only grew 2 serrations on a leaf
reee
>>
>>1087922
What is it?
>>
>>1087936
A mix of panama red and sour diesel :^)
>>
File: IMG_3565.jpg (2MB, 3024x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3565.jpg
2MB, 3024x3024px
Bros, one of my peppers has a flower!
>>
File: P_20170825_004217.jpg (459KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
P_20170825_004217.jpg
459KB, 2048x1152px
Marjoram flowers look so weird, but they sure smell awesome and taste great.
>>
>>1087961
Sir this thread does not condone the growing of illegal narcotics
>>
>>1087963
How about legal narcotics, ma'am?
>>
>>1087963
Huh. Didn't know it could do that. Thanks, bud. Another strange plant info learned from this thread. The searches I've found only mentioned its essential oil and some vague 'high amount' of ingestion. Wonder what sort of wacky hijinks the first person did when they discovered that info or maybe it was an accident? Just snipped that bit off cause to day's a good day for transplanting and it's getting in the way of the nice shape its grown after being put in a suspended soil block.
>>
>>1087955
Don't wet the leaves like that!
Water directly on the base of the plant, with wet leaves like that you're risking sunburn.
>>
Asking out of curiosity.
How hard would be to fertilize/raise the quality of larger amount of land (let's say a hectare) via compost/cut greens, as with non-specialized methods? Sounds like a good way to make some profit by turning shit soil into something actually useful.
>>
>>1088012
Not sunburn, optics don't work that way. That can only happen with plants that have a really high pile of fuzz or spines like cacti. The water droplet will then be far enough away that the focal point will cause a tiny burn. Water drops touching the leaf won't cast a focal point hot spot. The real problem is salt burn if the water has lots of minerals. The water evaporates, leaving a tiny packet of mineral salts which are not good for the leaf. That can be anything from hard water minerals to sodium hypochlorite from treated tap water. That is why most people recommend using rain water for foliar watering.
>>
>>1088023
It really depends on your source of materials. I'd be growing a ton more than I do now, but I lack good soil. Currently, I've been increasing 1 new raised bed every season. That's only like 66 square feet (6.13 square meters/0.000613 of a hectare) added a year. I'm bringing in something like 4 truck loads of manure a year and a hectare of grass cut 6 times a year. It really composts down to very little. I've just started increasing the biomatter I've been getting. I'm hoping next cycle I'll have enough for 2 full raised beds.

Keep in mind that I'm making raised beds that are about 40cm deep. For open ground, you only need 5cm of finished compost on the ground. So, that yearly thing above would cover 8 times the open ground (49.04 square meters/0.004904 of a hectare) as it can to fill 1 raised bed. Meaning your 1 hectare would need 50,000 cubic meters of finished compost every single year (if the math is correct). Keep in mind that this is the absolute maximum you'd ever need every year. If you did this, you'd get spectacular results. Most people only put on the barest amount and get okay results. 50k cubic meters of compost sounds really daunting to me. Like for big farm equipment and lots of money/time investment. I'll stick to my small garden.

If you are serious about something like this, I recommend using some sort of baffling system to ensure your soil doesn't run off and get lost when it rains or is watered. Remember, if you are wanting to make money, there's a reason people do industrialized monocrops. It is cheap, easy, and heavily subsidized.
>>
>>1086578
Congrats. I think the hardest part is making sure it doesn't get cold shocked. Until it gets too big (you could sorta bonsai it, but without the tiny pot) is to keep it in its own little greenhouse when it might be getting colder. Something as simple as a sheet of plastic over some sort of frame will work. Keep in mind it may get super hot in the sun, so it will need a bit of ventilation. For indoors, if you don't have a good window space for sunlight, you may need to invest in additional lighting. Just about anything will do so long as it is super close and not burning the leaves.
>>
>>1086401
That's not a problem here, thankfully.
>>
File: DSC_0402a.jpg (1MB, 2048x1362px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0402a.jpg
1MB, 2048x1362px
I had a lazy day readying this bed for the winter crop. I intended to replant the potatoes and garlic, but I had fencing issues that took up all my time. It is too late here to plant a 2nd crop of potatoes. Now, I have a dedicated garlic bed. That leaves me with 1/3 of a 5-gallon bucket of garlic to eat until next season and some of it sprouted already.
>>
>>1088036
>Meaning your 1 hectare would need 50,000 cubic meters of finished compost every single year
>every single year
Do you mean if I intend to farm the land, right?
Would doing this once be enough to make a decent soil for higher resale value?
On other hand, the mention of getting amazing results in crop via large amount of compost sounds intriguing. I wouldn't mind going poorfag farmer on that one hectare. Crop rotation could do a lot of good for the soil, I guess.

Is it possible to start making compost now? Will it be ok in the winter?
>>
>>1088048
Forgot one thing.
Thanks for reply, great insight you got here.
As for baffling system, I think trees should be able to do the trick.
>>
>>1088048
>Compost in winter
Not that anon but composts survive winters just fine at least with N Europe level winters. Composts generate heat internally because of the microbiological mechanisms at work, so they won't freeze.

Siberia or Yukon might be different, dunno.
>>
>>1087955
And more incoming too. It can happen that it drops the first few flowers, it's no problem.
Tap the pepper's stem(s) once a day, that's all it needs to self-pollinate.
>>
>>1088052
Thanks for info.
At it simplest it, would work by piling up a bunch of fresh cut grass and quite dry cut branches work?
I got fuckload of shredded branches, both leafy and coniferous.
Should I put a tarp under it to prevent washing away micro elements?
>>
>>1088056
I am no expert but can say how my parents and grandparents do it.

They place a kind of tarp, very thin fabric to the bottom. It is not waterproof. Around is a scaffold made from planks, so it's kind of a "box" with 1.3 m high walls. Then they just start to fill it up with grass, hay, plants, leaves and whatever organic gardening trash they come up with while working the garden. Coffee grounds and such can go there too.

Then they turn/aerate the heap a bit with a shovel but very rarely, like once a year or something (careful to not kill all worms). I may be missing details but it basically takes care of itself.
>>
>>1088063
Sounds about right, thought I think setting separate compost bins should be preferable, so fresh stuff wouldn't mix with mature compost before using it.
>>
What measures can I take to protect my garden from an incoming hurricane besides prayer?
>>
>>1088099
Move to a state that doesn't regularly experience natural disasters?
>>
>>1088056
>>1088063
>>1088071
On my farm I just pile literally everything in a massive pile for the entire season. Then I forget about it for about 2 years. Then I plant an ass load of pumpkin, squash, and/or gourd on it. Then it goes to the rest of the garden as finished compost/soil. I don't worry about ratios, watering, turning, or anything.

I don't have a tarp, a bin, a corral, a tumbler, or anything other than bare ground. If I had it where my chickens could get to it, I'd at least have a low wall around it to prevent them from kicking it everywhere.

>>1088099
With lots of time? Wind breaks.

With only a couple days time? Transplant everything into containers and put it inside.

Realistically? Flatten everything you can. Lay your tall vine plants, like tomatoes, off their supports and flat on the ground. There's not much else you can do really.
>>
>>1088103
>Lay your tall vine plants, like tomatoes, off their supports and flat on the ground
Would it not be better to tie them vertically to thin stakes?
I don't have much hurricane experience, but can the winds really be so strong as to grasp things with little surface area, like poles and wire trellises?
>>
>>1088107
Hurricanes can be devastating to everything, if you got lots of trees around, I'd suggest boarding up your windows.
>>
>>1088108
We've got hurricane-rated windows, so I'm not concerned about the house, and if a tree hits the garden it's gone no matter what I do.
But as far as wind goes, I think I'm just going to have to hope my poles can withstand it.
>>
>>1088112
The wind might cause damage to the leaves.
>>
>>1088107
>>1088112
The wind will stripe your plants bare of leaves. Laying them flat on the ground will give them much less wind resistance and maybe....maybe they will have some leaves left. With tomatoes, it will break them and do all manner of gnarly things. Things like corn will lay flat on their own, bent over, some will break. The ones that are bent will keep growing but pollinating may be a problem if they've not already pollinated. Eat the ears of the broken corn even if it isn't "ripe" since it is still pretty good.

>trellis

Take it down ASAP.
>>
>>1088122
The trellis has a huge web of vine woven into it, I don't know if I can remove it without destroying the plant.
I'll stake it into the ground, though.
>>
>>1088136
Good luck with that. My stuff gets flattened 1-2 times a year sometimes and that's just normal storm winds. Even the huge panels of vines I have up and the raised beds are oriented so the prevailing wind flows through them.
>>
>have three sugar pie pumpkin plants with plenty of blooms
>only one pumpkin growing so far
Should I be worried? I had issues growing my pumpkins last year (it's a great feeling knowing that I failed growing a plant so fucking prolific my parents got a small patch just by ignoring their fucking Halloween pumpkins by the side of their house), and my zucchini plants are producing quite a few zucchinis so far. Pumpkins are the one thing I really, really want from my garden and I'm afraid I'm not going to get a good return.
>>
>>1088253
i believe pumpkins are a gourd that cant self pollinate
>>
>>1088040
That looks nice. I'm jelly. I'd like something like your setup. How big is that bed? I've only got a tiny ass space in the window grills to use as a base for container gardening.
>>
>>1084693
>>1087875
>>1087876
>>1087878
You got mail, mate. Sorry it took a bit longer.
Also nice yield on the bulk jolokia.
You know putting it under water stress will make the fruits even hotter?
>>
>>1088359
I do. It's not really intentional, I just take the drooped leaves as a sign it would like some water. These are so easy to take care of.

I'll check your mail later today.
>>
>>1088253
Pumpkins have male and female flowers. There will always be more male flowers than female flowers. Some vines have tons of pumpkins while others only 1-2 pumpkins. Generally, you plan a ton of them and let them fight it out.
>>
File: Raised Beds 04.png (547KB, 7528x3180px) Image search: [Google]
Raised Beds 04.png
547KB, 7528x3180px
>>1088308
>How big is that bed?

That is bed #2.
>>
File: Raised Beds 05.png (580KB, 7528x3180px) Image search: [Google]
Raised Beds 05.png
580KB, 7528x3180px
>>1088403
Hmm that was the wrong pic, but close enough I suppose.
>>
>>1086421
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6pI4KA47kI

Here´s an example. I think it extends to rabbits as well.
>>
My tomato plants leaves are turning yellow on some vines, and then shriveling up and dying, but all the parts that survive keep growing. I think this is due to overwatering because of the huge amount of rain we've been getting. I just trim the dead or dying leaves and the branches they're on. Also, something has begun eating the insides of my smaller tomatoes that are just beginning to ripe them. I can usually find one or two hollowed out little, nearly ripe tomatoes. Is there anything more I can do?
>>
I'm new to growing plants. I realized that I have a few 16 cubic inch pots on my porch with nothing in them, so I wanted to plant some stuff that could grow food indoors. Since they're fairly small, something that would grow like a tree or shrub would be better than a garden, right? What could I plant?
>>
>>1088636
>My tomato plants leaves are turning yellow on some vines, and then shriveling up and dying, but all the parts that survive keep growing.

I have the same issue and was wondering if it's a disease or if it's just part of the life cycle of the tomato plant, I don't know
>>
>>1088636
>>1088656
I have this same issue and have asked about it here before. More specifically, my plants' leaves develop yellow spots, then turn completely yellow and wither.

I was told that old shoots dying is simply part of the life cycle of a tomato plant, and that in commercial growing environments, tomato vines tend to be mostly bare aside from the growing ends.
>>
>>1088650
Peppers, tomatoes, melons, beans (yes), tiny fruit trees, cranberries, herbs, ....

What would you like to have fresh around the house?
>>
>>1088680
Those all sound like great options. How can I know what grows well in my area? I'll be keeping them on my porch, so they may be somewhat vulnerable to the cold, but they'll be getting a lot of sun, and can't be hurt by snow, frost, or insects.
>>
I need a trellis for my Korean melons, what do you guys usually use?
>>
>>1088636
>turning yellow
Very common problem, I encounter it every year. May be able to slow it by removing affected leaves, but you don't have to do anything. As long as the plant is growing up faster than the disease is moving, it's fine.
>eating the insides of my smaller tomatoes
Possibly birds, they do that to mine. You could try to put netting up or scare them away somehow, or just accept it.
>>
I've moved all my plants inside for the hurricane, but I just found out that the grow light I had planned to use during the storm lacks a bulb.
How long can plants survive without sun?
>>
>>1088692
What's the min/max temps on your porch? Can rain reach it? Are there spots with no direct sunlight? Hardiness zone?
>>
>>1088662
Just remember that if there's high humidity, lots of rain, and the plants don't have enough air and sunlight through the leaves, this dying off of the lower leaves will happen faster than the tomatoes can grow. Meaning, you've developed a blight and measures to increase the light and air flow are needed as well as debriding the leaves with any spots on them and removing all dead leaves.

>>1088694
I've mostly seen them either strung up like a tomato using a string or placed over an arched tunnel that has large-diameter netting over its top so the melons hang down under it. If you have access to 2x4 inch welded wire fencing you could make something similar.

>>1088708
You can use any light at all and any type of bulb so long as the bulb isn't burning the leaves. You can literally use house lamps and shop lights. Anything will be better than nothing. The main trick is to keep the light as close to the leaves as it can be without burning the leaves.

>>1088636
The tomato eating thing can also be caused by slugs and isopods, especially if its been raining in your area.
>>
>>1088708
They should be fine fellow Texan
>>
>>1088720
In the summer, it will be about 70-80 degrees farenheit, up to 110 degrees if I leave the door closed all day. Generally it's about the outdoor temperature or slightly hotter. Indoors so no rain, I'll be watering it. There are windows all over and a skylight, I have other plants out there that grow well. I am in zone 7a.
>>
>>1088730
>slugs and isopods
The enemy strikes again. How to kill all isopods on Planet Earth?
>>
>>1088915
Doesn't diatomaceous earth genocide isopods pretty well?
>>
>>1088952
Yes, so does boric acid, however boric acid can kill your plants. It is best used as a barrier in houses. You could maybe use it outside a raised bed, but normally the isopods are already in the soil with the plant. Thus, diatomaceous earth is better since you can sprinkle it around the plant's base like a mulch. Though, it does better when it is bone dry. I've seen stuff crawling all over it while it was rainy wet.
>>
File: IMG_20170826_152754.jpg (2MB, 2610x4640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170826_152754.jpg
2MB, 2610x4640px
>>1088839
I think a lot of stuff will do great with such an area.
I only have some pepper experience so far tho, just started this year. But I can recommend it, they can get very pretty, and delicious too.
>>
File: IMG_20170826_141339.jpg (5MB, 2610x4640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170826_141339.jpg
5MB, 2610x4640px
Can anyone identify this one? It sprouted in my moms' garden near the chicken coop, but she didn't plant it and has no idea what it exactly is.
>>
File: IMG_20170826_141343.jpg (5MB, 4640x2610px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170826_141343.jpg
5MB, 4640x2610px
>>1089082
>>
>>1089082
It looks like the result of a squash hybrid of some sort. Either it is a direct cross or is the second generation of a hybrid. It is most likely a summer squash like yellow crookneck summer squash. It looks like it is ripe enough to eat so give it a try. The skin should still be soft enough to easily puncture with your fingernail without really trying at all and the seeds inside shouldn't be woody. Take pics for us when you cut it open.

If it is palatable (isn't woody or bitter/super sour) then just use whatever recipes you normally use for summer squash. The seed may be from years ago or from last year or whenever you last threw some compost out in that area.

One year, I had a volunteer summer squash that was shaped like a pear. It was a hybrid from whatever crossed the previous year. It was watery and had almost no flavor at all. Other times, I just get oddly shaped stuff that has good flesh and flavor as normal.

Then again maybe it is something specific I've just never seen before that a bird dropped.
>>
>>1089090
I'm not there to try it, but I will let her know, thanks for the info!
>>
File: 20170826_114817.jpg (561KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20170826_114817.jpg
561KB, 2048x1152px
I left for business for a week and came back to find these white bumps all over some of my grow room peppers.

I assume it's some sort of pest. Advice?
>>
Is it okay to keep an open-bottomed compost bin over grass, or should I pull up the grass first, or should I put an artificial barrier at the bottom?
>>
>>1089145
I'd imagine the compost would kill the grass due to lack of sunlight, too much moisture, too little airflow, and heat. I'd leave it and let it turn into more compost. Don't put down a barrier because that would prevent worms and other goodies from getting into your pile.
>>
>>1089130
Looks like edema. Lots of rain lately?
>>
>>1089173
>grow room
>rain
>>
>>1089219
Maybe its just a really shitty room.
>>
File: 1503610427011.jpg (3MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
1503610427011.jpg
3MB, 2448x3264px
/r/ suggested I come here for help identifying my plant. Can anyone help me out?

It has little sacs that collect water if that helps. Let me know if any other angles might help identify this.
>>
File: WTFisThisThing.jpg (2MB, 1728x3264px) Image search: [Google]
WTFisThisThing.jpg
2MB, 1728x3264px
>>1089445
A few more pictures, also I meant /wsr/.

It has little hairs all over and kinda feels like a succulent to the touch. It doesn't feel like a flimsy plant, if that makes any sense.
>>
File: Quarter.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
Quarter.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>1089446
Something to compare leaf size to.
Sideways unfortunately.
>>
>>1089130
>>1089219
Too much water.
>>
>>1089445
>>1089446
>>1089447
Looks like a type of "Peperomia rotundifolia", but not sure which one. The better place to try for plant identification is on /an/ in their plant thread: >>>/an/2461672
>>
File: cabbageloper1_0-455x328[1].png (238KB, 455x328px) Image search: [Google]
cabbageloper1_0-455x328[1].png
238KB, 455x328px
this time of year if i go a single week without spraying bt, etc my plants are bombarded with these fuckers

is there a better way?
>>
>>1089540
Would turning chickens loose in your garden help keep the population under control or would they just help the caterpillars eat your garden?
>>
>>1089541
Ever seen freerange chickens?
They eat everything. Every. Damn. Thing. Maybe some weeds may grow, but anything remotely edible gets obliterated.
>>
>>1089502
I'll try there too. Thank you.
>>
File: image.jpg (313KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
313KB, 1024x768px
OK gents - my cucumbers aren't recovering like I thought they were. I've been treating the plant with Epsom salt once per week, but only the new growth is green - the rest is shriveled and yellow/brown. What am I doing wrong?

I have 1 week to turn this plant around, after that I'm told if it hasn't shown significant improvement we will have to pull the plant. I'm open to any and all ideas. Please help!

Pic 1 of 2
>>
File: image-2.jpg (323KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
image-2.jpg
323KB, 1024x768px
>>1089583
Pic 2 of 2
>>
>>1089583
>>1089584
Okay. How about you start at the beginning of this case. What was the weather, the temperature, the soil, the plant's condition and what were you doing to it before your plant got struck with this sudden onset of wilting and yellowing? Did you notice any unusual bugs around the plant or its surrounding area? How do you water it and how often do you water it?
>>
>>1089583
Once the leaves are dead they are dead they won't come back no matter what you do
>>
File: 20170827_124213.jpg (2MB, 2576x1932px) Image search: [Google]
20170827_124213.jpg
2MB, 2576x1932px
Very delicious fig from my new tree
>>
>>1089588
The weather was consistently 80F-95F, VERY humid, and VERY sunny. We watered it every day for the first month (~May 14th - ~June 15th), then switched to every other day for about the same amount of time. We'd water from a spray nozzle on the garden hose aimed at the base of the plants for about 20 minutes across the entirety of the garden OR with a watering can giving each plant a drink at the base for about 10-20 seconds a piece - not according to any system, just alternating between the two methods on a whim from time to time. We did, however, have to use the watering can when fertilizing with Miracle-Gro every other week in order to measure our ratios accurately The wilting started suddenly about 3-4 weeks ago - around the beginning of August. Before that the plant seemed healthy and had produced a pretty bountiful harvest of hefty cukes (~2" round and 10"-12" long).

In June and into July mushrooms would grow from the soil overnight and die in the early morning when they were exposed to the sun. None of our plants seemed to be effected by these shrooms so we let it play out and it's been over a month since the last mushroom sprouted. While the mushrooms were sprouting the cucumbers and bell peppers were starting to grow their first fruits which appeared healthy (and tasted delicious!).
>>
>>1089588
This year the garden's fell victim to Colorado potato beetles that attacked my eggplants, but I managed to collect and kill them all before they could damage the plants - however I never found a single CPB on my cukes. I've seen the occasional stinkbug and we've had lots of bees visiting, but nothing else comes to mind - not even caterpillars or slugs.

The soil is a 50/50 mix of the native soil and Miracle-Gro Topsoil. It may be worth mentioning that a tree used to be where the garden is now, and that it was removed well over 10 years ago after being chopped down, stump ground, and herbicide used on the stump and root remains. But the garden we had last year and the year before were smashing successes - surely if the herbicide was an issue we'd have experienced hardships with the previous gardens.

We also have black mulch down across the garden.

>>1089590
I've tried pruning the dead, but more leaves are turning and wilting.

Would it be worth it at this time to prune everything except the small new growth coming from the base of the plant, and hope it recovers and bears more fruit before first frost?

Or do we pull the plant and plant out strawberry clones in preparation for next year?
>>
File: 1502176787194.jpg (30KB, 364x364px) Image search: [Google]
1502176787194.jpg
30KB, 364x364px
Sup guys, new to this board but been growing hot chilis at home for years. I usually just cultivated seeds that i got from my mother (shes an avid gardener) or my gfs mom but i want to try some new sorts, so first time ordering seeds over the internet
What are some cool chillis to grow?
The hotter the better
>>
>>1087740
That sounds fucking awesome!
>>
>>1089588
This is all taking place in Ocean County, NJ within a mile of the Barnegat Bay coastline - very salty air and a swamp-like environment.
>>
File: 1503755538117.jpg (3MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1503755538117.jpg
3MB, 2560x1440px
My place is swarming with wooly aphids so I made a pepper/red onion spray for my plants. They land on my avocado leaves but I think they're mainly attracted to apple trees.

Mini bell peppers
>>
File: 1503755570604.jpg (3MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1503755570604.jpg
3MB, 2560x1440px
Avocado 1/3
>>
File: 1503755508471.jpg (704KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1503755508471.jpg
704KB, 1280x720px
Avocado 2/3

My third avocado plant was trimmed back severely since I forgot to do it last year.
>>
File: 1503755647637.jpg (3MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1503755647637.jpg
3MB, 2560x1440px
2 Myers lemons courtesy of Publics ;)
Garlic chives
>>
>>1089541
>>1089545
You can do it but you need to get them into the garden and out of the garden within about 15 mins and have your fruit covered. Ducks are actually better. Specifically, "Indian Runner" ducks
>>
>>1089583
>>1089584
How old are the plants? Cucumber plants are actually short lived, some varieties are very short lived.

>>1089624
Trinidad moruga scorpion.
>>
>>1089670
Planted out ~May 14th - Heirloom Straight-Eights.
>>
>>1089685
105 That's about the right amount of time for most cultivars to kick off. 90 days is around the last harvest for most. You normally have 40ish days for good harvesting though it sorta depends on how large you want the fruit..
>>
>>1089696
10-4 so it's dying of old age. Ripping it out in favor of the strawberry prep for next year, then. Thanks, fellas!

Although the cucumber plant is a shame you've been very helpful this season and I thank you. I'll be back to talk compost and greenhousing - in the meantime I hope all goes well for you guys!
>>
Is this book any good? I thought maybe one of you know it
>>
File: 9781405345101.jpg (39KB, 316x400px) Image search: [Google]
9781405345101.jpg
39KB, 316x400px
>>1089732
forgot pic
>>
>>1089624
Carolina Reaper
Mustard Habanero
Goronong
Scotch Bonnet Orange
>>
>>1089624
I ordered mine from fataliiseeds, you can sort by heat level.
The peach bhut looks pretty cool imho.
>>
File: habeneros.png (2MB, 1641x1560px) Image search: [Google]
habeneros.png
2MB, 1641x1560px
Midwest here, got some questions, the important being pic related. these are some habeneros I grew last year and dried out over the winter, upon grinding some up, they turned into a suspicious-looking grey powder. many of these peppers were picked with black spots on them, looking for information on this has turned up a blank, what the fuck happened to my peppers? is my crop ruined?

Second, I managed to score some TPS from some purple potatoes, been reading up on how to raise these, what advice can /out/'s TPS growers give me? Third, I want to cover-crop this fall, reason being that lots of life bullshit this year kept piling up, I was stupid, and let my garden get overrun with grass and weeds, I want to take preventative measures for next year. I looked at rye as a means of cover-cropping and want to know what alternatives there would be to using rye if need be.
>>
>>1089806
You dried moldy rotten peppers. Drying them doesn't make the spoilage disappear
>>
Can I just clip tomatoes if they grow too tall? I've ordered one that 'grows up to 2m tall', but my greenhouse is only 1m50.
>>
File: IMG_20170827_174903.jpg (2MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170827_174903.jpg
2MB, 2592x1944px
>>1089835
You can cut them off or let them grow lateral, really whatever you want,. I let mine grow to the top of it's stake and then laterally to the stake next to it.
>>
>>1089819
Seconding this.

>>1089835
Yes. They will send out side shoots "suckers". If you need shorter ones in the future, look for "determinate" cultivars. The "indeterminate" cultivars never stop growing.
>>
File: fgs2.png (308KB, 849x570px) Image search: [Google]
fgs2.png
308KB, 849x570px
>>1089847
>>1089850
Cheers.
>If you need shorter ones in the future, look for "determinate" cultivars.
Thanks, but I just picked this one because it looked interesting and I'm curious as to how sweet a tomato can get.
This is my first year growing and I only had cherry tomatoes this time, but even with only some generic liquid fertilizer once in a while, the difference in taste to storebought ones is incredible.
>>
>>1089863

>the difference in taste to storebought ones is incredible

I think most people don't get this having never had a homegrown tomato or if they did it was a roma. Lots of good varieties to try. Enjoy
>>
what seed is this?
>>
>>1090046
Most likely Shepherd's Purse (Capsella bursa-pastoris.)
>>
File: yellow pear tomato 2017.jpg (185KB, 721x569px) Image search: [Google]
yellow pear tomato 2017.jpg
185KB, 721x569px
>>1089863
I have an ancient cultivar like that, but is pear shaped (pic). They are also fairly sweet. Cherry cultivars seem to be extremely prolific and grow like mad. I think it may be because they have less harvest weight in fruit so more energy can go towards vine growth. If you want to fertilize without store stuff read up on "compost tea" and "manure tea". You can also use a mixture of 1 part water and 1 part plain coffee.

>>1089874
Homegrowers also have the option of restricting the water, prior to harvest for a few days, in order to trigger a chemical response, in the tomatoes, which makes them more flavorful. Thus, a store bought tomato the same cultivar of a homegrown one can taste "watery" in comparison, if that technique is used with the homegrown one. Often times, the homegrower does this unknowingly. The ones in the stores are normally grown with hydroponics on a timer so they never go without water for an extended length of time.
>>
>>1090106

Why would someone grow grocery store tomatoes? They are selected based on shelf stability and appearance, not flavor
>>
>>1090123
Beefsteak, roma, and cherry cultivars are normally sold in stores. Those are also grown quite a lot by homegrowers. Roma tomatoes can be quite flavorful, but it does require the lack of water a few days prior to harvesting. As you may know, people do all manner of things that others find odd. Most people are rather ignorant about many things too. Of all the tomatoes I grow, every person who has seen them IRL has never heard of them before, yet those people are life long growers. All of them grow beefsteak and cherry cultivars. None of them make sauce, so no one grows roma or any other sauce cultivar. I've had about 2 dozen people ask for Cherokee tomato seeds after trying some of mine. The best I can do for people is to inform them, give them seeds, and hope for the best.
>>
>>1090125
I've never seen a beefsteak tomato in the grocery store but regardless commercial tomatoes are picked green and exposed to ethylene, turning them red that's one reason they suck
>>
File: Beefsteak-Tomato-Seeds.jpg (91KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Beefsteak-Tomato-Seeds.jpg
91KB, 600x600px
>>1090128
Looking around I see that there are lots of commercial varieties grown in greenhouses called beefsteak style. Fuck that. this is a beefsteak
>>
File: Photo0942.jpg (277KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
Photo0942.jpg
277KB, 1280x960px
>>1090136
surely you mean coeur de boeuf
>>
>>1090128
I can only speak for my area and those are the types of tomatoes you see in stores here.

>gassing tomatoes

That's mostly a myth especially in the 21st century with the refrigeration tech in all transport trucks. I've worked at several stores and in several commercial greenhouses. We actually pick them vine-ripe and try to inform the produce manager to never wrap them in plastic as it will start to overripen them very quickly.
>>
>>1090101
any other ideas maybe what it is
>>
>>1090196
What region of the world?
>>
>>1089806
>>1089819
>>1089850
Agreed, they are definetly rotten, sorry Anon.
Open air drying isn't really viable in more northern areas unleass you take actions abou the moisture in the air.
>>
>>1089670
>>1089755
Did anyone here succesfully grow carolina reaper or trinidad scorpion at home?
Are they much harder to grow than regular chiles?
>>
>>1090249
>trinidad scorpion at home?

Yup, mine did really well, even indoors overwinter. Only 2 of them had the scorpion tail on the bottom.
>>
File: 20170828_150616-1494x2656.jpg (747KB, 1494x2656px) Image search: [Google]
20170828_150616-1494x2656.jpg
747KB, 1494x2656px
>>1090249
I have a couple scorpions in their third season right now from seed, and a reaper from a plant start, they are no harder than any other peppers I have growing.

>>1090252
Overwintering is the way to go if you have the space.
>>
>>1090305
Same here, reapers are really easy in containers
>>
File: IMG_20170828_141344.jpg (2MB, 1944x2592px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170828_141344.jpg
2MB, 1944x2592px
>>1090252
What is that bottom right picture?
>>
>>1090355
It says "cinnamon candy" in the pic, so I assume that (at first I thought it was about crystalline capsaicin extraction or something like that)
>>
>>1090202
europe
>>
>>1090249
I have 3 three feet bushes in a bed, one 2 feet in a pot and grew countless more for friends and family- They actually grew better than most peppers for me.
>>
File: Pepper was too spicy.png (90KB, 304x345px) Image search: [Google]
Pepper was too spicy.png
90KB, 304x345px
>>1090355
A pic of a glass canning jar filled with "Trinidad Moruga Scorpion Pepper-Cinnamon Candy", which everyone says isn't hot, but that it is so hot they say it is concentrated pain. Which is true. It is like placing a hot coal on your tongue. One piece will make your face go completely numb. Your anus will hate you later.
>>
How much of a pain in the ass will growing tobacco indoors in the UK? I've got a kitchen with a wall of windows that get light all day. I just hear mixed things, either it's super delicate and dies in seconds if not treated right or is a super hardy if not hungry plant. Anyone got any ideas?
>>
>>1090394
If there's enough light then it shouldn't be too difficult. You may want to supplement some with extra lighting.
>>
>>1090394
>tfw bought seeds back in 2015 but never got around to planting them and now stopped smoking in July so I have no more use for them... (hopefully I'll last)
Anyway, if they're anything like pretty much all other nightshades I have experience with (tomatoes, potatoes, aubergines, peppers... also weeds like black nightshade), they will need full sun to do well, so a window won't be sufficient, especially over winter. Artificial lighting, especially wavelength-optimised LEDs, will help.
I did a tomato on a SW window without extra lighting, and despite the room being very cool (~13°C in winter whenever the sun doesn't shine), it still got quite leggy growth, and it only got better around late February.
So a rather warm kitchen might be even worse
>>
>>1090394
Sisters grow tobacco indoors in Germany, no issues here. Very similarto growing peppers or tomatoes, like >>1090408 suggested.
>>
>>1090408

My only issue with having a grow light is I'm in rented accommodation and can't hang a light up, it'd have to sit stood up and pointed at it.
>>
File: IMG_20170415_161601.jpg (2MB, 4640x2610px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170415_161601.jpg
2MB, 4640x2610px
>>1090419
diy something
>>
>>1084862
Late reply but: dont do raised beds they dry out too fast and cost too much. Remove the grass and mix in a few bags of manure and then a few handfuls per square meter of chicken manure pellets. Rake it flat and sprinkle in seeds; in order of how many you should use of most to least; Carrots, parsnips, lettuce, turnips, beets. Onion bulbs planted in spring can be scattered around. Dont hill them, dont water them (unless you live in a desert) then change to tropical plants, dont plant in rows, dont hoe, add some mulch in the summer months like straw and dont add any chemicals like weedkiller or insecticides. Sow twice as much as you should and then add extra, because seeds wont germinate 100% birds might eat a few, mice might eat some, some might be too deep etc. If you want mix in some white or red clover seeds to help build the soil and add nitrogen.
>>
>>1090420

I've not got much for tools, only got a screwdriver set.
>>
>>1090419
>>1090427
Repeat after me: "Clamp Light"

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_5?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=clamp+light&sprefix=clamp%2Caps%2C263&crid=2PZBFIEA4FVER
>>
File: 2017-08-29_00-53-45.jpg (978KB, 1804x1200px) Image search: [Google]
2017-08-29_00-53-45.jpg
978KB, 1804x1200px
Who else having grape overload right now?
IIRC it is an ornamental variety, so I'm kind of amazed it puts out so much fruit
>>
File: DSC_0460a.jpg (412KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0460a.jpg
412KB, 1024x683px
>>1090470
Very nice. I got over 10lbs this year from a vine. It is the most I've ever had and I've had grape vines for like 20 years. This place is pretty harsh on grapes though. Mostly everything rots due to excessive rain.
>>
is there a better resource for finding native plants than the lady bird johnson wildflower center? I checked the pastebin but it didn't seem like anything covered it
also just in general, how do you guys feel about sticking to native plants vs using whatever works in your region? I like the idea of using native plants, especially because I'm in a region that has been almost completely converted into farmland so there's that romantic aspect to restoring the prairie, but I do wonder how helpful it really is
>>
>>1090546
i found this

http://texasprairie.org/index.php/learn/flora_entry/flora/

im in california and im a little spoiled by calflora and a few other internet resources, but from what i gather most of the time you can find native seeds online through land restoration people; i also find they usually sell in bulk or dont really sell like a regular store. as far as just knowing whats what the usda database is pretty helpful
>>
>>1090546
Find a nature reserve or an overgrown riparian area and dig up some plants that you like
>>
>>1090438
That's what I use too. It's pretty useful since you can easily adjust the distance between it and your plants.
>>
I live in Melbourne, Australia and it's winter but about to become spring.
I have two windowsills in my room. I have to grow herbs in one and pretty flowers in the other. How do I start? I have no clue.
>>
File: DSCN8502.jpg (4MB, 3648x2736px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN8502.jpg
4MB, 3648x2736px
>>1090546
I use lots of "wild" plants for salad greens all the time. That and local nut trees. Most of the better wild plants are actually naturalized invasives that escaped the gardens of the settlers here in the USA. They became less popular as food crops and were eventually replaced. Like purslane (Portulaca oleracea), broadleaf plantain (Plantago major), and lamb's quarter (Chenopodium album) which came from Africa, Europe, and Asia. So, if you are looking for local wild plants to cultivate, you need to take that into account. Will you plant anything local that isn't used locally or will you only plant those plants that are originally native to the area? If it is the latter, you'll need to do some research on each one to find out. Like the two main dandelion species more people are familair with in the USA are actually invasives from Europe and in Europe purslane is an invasive from Africa.

>>1090419
I used a shelving unit with lights on the bottom of the shelf above the plant.

>>1090669
Stick the seeds in the soil and water them. Keep the soil slightly moist, but not water logged or dry. The best thing you can do is google the care tips specifically for the plants you want to grow. Like the only herb I grow in the winter is garlic tops. I just plop a hole garlic bulb into a pot of soil and give it a bit of water. It sits on the window sill and starts growing eventually. I use them a lot so I normally have many bulbs growing at once and take snippets off some here and there. That window only gets 4 hours of direct sunlight, but they don't seem to mind. Everything else I grow indoors requires extra lighting. It is really nice, to have all that greenery, when it looks like this outside (pic).
>>
What should I use for growing carrots and that indoors? I was hoping for some kind of long planting trough but all I can find is ornamental containers for putting pots in. What should I be searching for?
>>
File: DSCN2732a.jpg (548KB, 1024x1536px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN2732a.jpg
548KB, 1024x1536px
>>1090706
Check how long the cultivar of carrot you are going to grow gets. Then get a planter that is a few inches deeper than that. Google up, "trough planters" to see what is available and where. What I did with my salad greens for placing under shop lights was to use a salvaged piece of metal to act as a trough. I inlaid plastic, filled them with soil, and planted. It worked out better than expected. Pic related.

If I were to grow carrots indoors and wanted a trough, I'd make one from some wood and line it with plastic. Though, I don't really like using plastic. At least I could get the depth I wanted. A better option is to get into clay pottery and make exactly what you need or make them using Hypertufa. Hypertufa may be exactly what you want for a DIY solution.
>>
Hi guys. I've been collecting seeds from my favorite berry plants . Redcurrants, blackcurrants, raspberries, boysenberries etc.
How do I go about growing them? I guess the season is over for now but do I wait until next year to grow them in the yard or should I start growing them in pots inside first? If so when to start? I want to have them in the yard in the long term picture.
>>
>>1090721
They will need acid scarification and maybe cold stratification. Google up how to germinate each one. You should grow them in pots first to aid in germination then set them out where you want them after danger of frost is over. If any need cold stratification that may take up to a couple months in the fridge. Thus, you may want to start now for the ones that require cold stratification, if any.

You may also want to look into making cuttings of those plants. That is the easiest option for propagating them. That can be done in spring before the plants sprout their buds into leaves. It is rather easy to do so google up on that too.
>>
>>1090723
Thanks based anon
>>
File: 1502760517129.jpg (62KB, 500x432px) Image search: [Google]
1502760517129.jpg
62KB, 500x432px
Anyone here growing Gynostemma pentaphyllum?

I want to become a lvl 99 alchemist and the asian people say Gynostemma pentaphyllum is the way to go
>>
>>1090761
Huh. That sure is an amazing plant and apparently I can find it here locally? Thanks for the info, bud.
>>
File: 20170829_100305~2.jpg (1MB, 2359x4193px) Image search: [Google]
20170829_100305~2.jpg
1MB, 2359x4193px
>>1084132
Does anyone knows what kind of seeds are these? I found them growing in my mother's decorative plants which where dangerously close to my pigeon peas plants. My sister think think that they are those pineapple looking parasite plants that live by sucking the life out of trees, and I think she's right.
>>
>>1090781
Ask,
>>>/an/2461672
>>
>>1090470
Ornamental doesn't mean less or no fruit, it just menas this cultivar is bred for appearance rather than taste (or shelf live, hardiness, whatever).
Kinda like your caked up 21yo college slut, they are basically "ornamental women".
>>
>>1090808
Kek
And yeah, they don't have the best taste, also don't ripen very simultaneously.
Got professional vinegrowers in the family though, so enough supply of "proper" stuff if I want. But still a nice bonus to have your own too
>>
File: 20170829_133759.jpg (2MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170829_133759.jpg
2MB, 5312x2988px
Is this usually a busy time of year for honey bees? I just started this hive this year and they have really been expanding their comb lately. I thought nectar would be dying down this time of year in western Wisconsin. They also seem especially active today bringing in loads of pollen (you can see the baskets on their legs here).
>>
>>1089732
>>1089733
>>>/diy/1233821
Have a look at the original first. I thought it was decent, if a little dated in places. But ultimately nothing really changes too much.
>>
>>1090908
They don't stop until there's nothing left to harvest and/or it is too cold for them to exit the hive. Even if you don't have flowers blooming anymore there is also honeydew and they could be robbing another hive. You have until about September 27 - October 3 before your first frost date.
>>
>>1090952
There are still some blooming, I've just been surprised that the activity seems greater than any other time of year despite it getting close to fall. Thought it was raspberries maybe as they really like my patch but must be more than that.
>>
>>1090908
In rare cases I've even seen them in early February, when the first veronicas, cherry plums, almonds and lamiums bloom in mild years (and I'm living at 50°N), stuff like chickweed even flowers in the middle of winter, wouldn't surprise me to see bees in January if I took a close look
>>
File: 20170828_174929-1080x1080.jpg (519KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20170828_174929-1080x1080.jpg
519KB, 1080x1080px
Didn't think I would actually able to grow eggplant. Ground was mostly clay, only sow it a bit and throw rabbit poop around it weekly with my indoor pet bun. Anything special I should know about eggplant?
>>
>>1089614
I've only had figs bought from the store, how are the fresh ones compared to those?
>>
>>1090985
They come out any time the air is warm enough, just for water at the very least.

>>1091022
Congrats. Mine never did very well due to rampant insect damage, the exact same thing yours are suffering from. The thing to know is that for eating you can pick the fruit at any point. There's no wrong time.
>>
Hey i'm pretty new to gardening.
We have this small rose bush, about 1 cubit high. I built this neet little circle of stones around it to protect it from weeds. It's currenlty august up here in the norther hemisphere so i know that its ok for the rose-buds to start falling off, especialy since some of them are in bounty of seeds. I also give it about 10 glugs from a water cooler jug worth of water per day. It was planted in clay soil in case you were wandering. Anyways, i was wandering you you guys had any tips for me regarding:
>- how much water does it need?
>- how do i deal with wall-flower vines?
>- how to cut it so i does not look like a messy ziz-zag?
>- any tips or methods to grow it?
My garden is over-taken with vines, i've recently taken up the task of clearing it out for future plans; but right now i just want to know how to take care of my dwarf rose bush.
Thanks in advance.
>>
>>1091026
I've only had the dried figs from thestore, but fresh figs taste amazing if it's not raining during harvest season like it is now
>>
>>1091110
What zone are you in? We harvested all of our figs over a month ago. No one in our house even eats figs, but a fig tree came with the property so we just give them away.
>>
>>1091110
Hi, rose-fag here.
I also have a fig tree, wandering if you guys have any tips of arborculture? Like how to cut limbs to maximize fruit or something?
>>
File: lycopenum.jpg (160KB, 1498x1121px) Image search: [Google]
lycopenum.jpg
160KB, 1498x1121px
Tomatoes are coming
>>
>>1086169
That method washes all the minerals from the top to the bottom, undersaturating the top and oversaturating the bottom.
>>
File: IMG_20170819_175929.jpg (772KB, 3355x2684px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170819_175929.jpg
772KB, 3355x2684px
New growth on the Meyer
>>
My lemon tree has a bunch of new shoots and even some blossoms coming in. Isn't it a bit early for flowers though? The old crop aren't even yellow yet.
>>
>>1091116
Not him, but from what I know ripening times also depend heavily on variety. Being in cool summer 8a, almost everyone seems to have Brown Turkey here, from what I see they get a first batch of fruit around July, then another one in October/November
>>
>>1091248
Some varieties flower twice a year. If yours does, it means it is healthy and happy. I have kalamandin orange, and it flowers 2-3 times a year. Meyer lemon only flowers once a year for me, but maybe that's my fault.
>>
>>1091095
You may get better results asking on: >>>/an/2461672
They seem dedicated to ornamental plants.

>how much water does it need?

Soil should be slightly moist about 2-4 inches below the ground.

>how do i deal with wall-flower vines?

That really depends on what you want to accomplish.

>how to cut it so i does not look like a messy ziz-zag?

Tie and train it in the direction you want it to go at an early stage of the tip's growth.

>any tips or methods to grow it?

For roses In very cold climates, put 10-16 inches of thick straw over top the roots for winter.

>>1091140
Mostly it is about keeping the limbs in a manner that protects the tree from breaking limbs when it is full of heavy fruit and allowing you to easily pick the fruit. Some measure it taken for easily storm damaged tree varieties to allow more wind through them to reduce possibility of break limbs or trunk during a storm. Also, you don't want limbs crossing each other where they will eventually touch and rub. For the specifics on how to cut a single branch and which ones to cut, do some googling, "How to prune fruit trees" and similar searches.
>>
File: bulk jolokia.png (3MB, 1203x1203px) Image search: [Google]
bulk jolokia.png
3MB, 1203x1203px
Bulk Jolokia doin' great!
>>
File: SKP_20170829_232033_532842951667.jpg (452KB, 1080x1848px) Image search: [Google]
SKP_20170829_232033_532842951667.jpg
452KB, 1080x1848px
What should I do with vermicompost? First time harvesting it. I was thinking of top dressing my plant but was wondering if there anything else I can do, thanks.
>>
>>1091395
Yeah, that is good for now. Later mix it with the soil.
>>
>>1090908
>Is this usually a busy time of year for honey bees?
Yes, winter's on its way. They've only got like a month or two of foraging left
>>
File: IMG_20170830_145615.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170830_145615.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Can somebody confirm to me what plant this is, and sorry that I didn't get the whole thing in frame.

I've had it for years and think its a Dragon tree, but I thought those had red edges to the leaves. I honestly can't remeber if my leaves were anything but green, but I do know they've always not been very long. Compared to the other dragon trees I've seen the leaves are much longer, is that just because my plant itself is so thin? Its probably about 5 feet tall, and originally was just the center 3 branches. The longest leaves aren't much more than a foot.
>>
>>1091468
Yeah, very likely to be some sort of Dracaena
>>
>>1091382
Is bulk jolokia a meme, or is it a specific type of bhut jolokia?
>>
I plan to get into growing mushrooms. Can only tell me any good books to read for it so I am not going in blind?

I intend to do it indoors if that matters and would also love to know of any good vendors for mushrooms.
>>
>>1091594
I use fungi.com

You just need to research the type of fungi you want to grow. You can start with kits or go with plug spawn or local/store cultures and spawn. It is actually pretty easy. The only real problem is mold. If you see it, scrap that entire batch. Having several batches going at once will help prevent total loss if you have moisture problems and mold.
>>
>>1091585
neither, really. one guy is calling his plant that
>>
File: 212.png (16KB, 504x170px) Image search: [Google]
212.png
16KB, 504x170px
What does /out/ have coming in the mail? I have this + mixed seed potatoes. Trying to plant for a deep south Texas winter right now.
>>
>>1091116
>>1091251
Cool summer 8a? I'm in hot humid summer 8a. The all dominant fig variety here is Celeste, which only has a crop in late August. I'm trying to add new varieties by growing and giving trees, I currently have about eight varieties of figs and have given away a dozen or so plants.

>>1091140
I'm a big fan of pinching my fig trees to keep them stout and productive, I let new growth go three leaves then I pinch the last one off to stop outward growth to encourage more fruit growth
>>
>>1091619
Just barely in 8a as well, our summers are hot and sometimes humid. Our fig tree gave up the goods in July. Not exactly sure on what type of fig it is, as again, we don't eat figs in this house. Not even the dog would eat one.
>>
>>1091613
Just some ornamental chilli seeds and some tomato's from Fatalii. Dunno if they will even get through customs because NZ has problems with seeds.
>>
>>1091395
Good looking castings you have there. Which compost worms do you have? Just started mine last week with African night crawlers since they're more used to my area's temperature. I can't wait to harvest mine. You can also make worm castings tea to help buff up your plants' health and immunity.
>>
File: IMG_20170830_161209.jpg (2MB, 4640x2610px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170830_161209.jpg
2MB, 4640x2610px
>>1091585
Yeah, it's just me calling it that, because that one really bulked up compared to the others I have. It's leaves are 4x as big as all others, and the stem is just massive as you can see. It's just 5 months old.
>>
>>1089130
>advice

Cut your fingernails you dirty pig
>>
Anyone here grow Eryngium foetidum?
Any tips?
>>
>>1091758
Does it have that soapy flavor for people with that gene like cilantro does?
>>
>>1091716
I'm using red worm, they seem to breed pretty fast,I got a second container for them.Your guys seem to be the same but grow to 8 inches, that pretty cool. What do I do with the compost after I use them for tea? Throw it away?
>>
>>1091780
Use it as soil amendment.
>>
File: P_20170828_202556.jpg (560KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
P_20170828_202556.jpg
560KB, 2048x1152px
>>1091780
What >>1091781 said. These articles are a helpful read too:

https://naturesfootprint.com/community/articles/leachate-vs-worm-compost-tea/

https://www.maximumyield.com/worm-tea-the-secrets-to-organic-gardening/2/2884

>a second container
Awesome. They're really working hard, huh? Compared to your red worms' calmer nature which make them easy to handle, African night crawlers trade that in for liveliness and bulk. The supplier I bought it from uses it to feed her monster aquarium fishes hence their size.
>>
>>1084132
here's my tale of growing lavender in the southeast

>summer break
>bored as hell
>gf bought lavender seeds from austria cause I wanted to start gardenin
>try planting on soil
>2 weeks failure
>cut open plastic bottle
>put cotton and dampen it
>put several seeds
>fastforward a month or so
>all of them sprouted, happy af
>boom college starts again
>move to apt cause I go to college in a different city
>bring lavender to apt
>go back to parents on thursday cause I have some business with them
>leave plastic bottle with lavender under windshield thinking they'd be fine
>do stuff at campus till nigh time
>go back to parents'
>check lavender
>all dried up

fuck my life, at least my zucchinis, lettuces, and spinach are fine. never will I ever leave plants in confined space in broad daylight
>>
>>1089082
>>1089084
that's some type of zucchini, I'm sure of it, my gf bought me their seeds once and it looked exactly like your picture
>>
>>1091840
Yeah, you made a solar cooker, which are really nice, I've made several and baked and cooked tons of food in them. Sorry for your loss.
>>
>>1091619
>Cool summer 8a
Yeah, Western Europe, so it's an oceanic climate with not too much seasonal variation, 24h mean temps are around +2°C in January and +20°C in July. Means we can grow many perennial ornamentals quite well for the latitude (like Chinese Windmill palms), but some fruit trees as well as annual stuff that requires long hot summers is more tricky - pomegranate and kaki usually only ripen well enough when the autumn is warm, so such things get mostly ornamental use too, or you have to use special, early ripening varieties
>>
How do I into indoor gardening?
>>
>>1091897
Well if you're a fig enjoying individual there are plenty of early ripening/breba specific varieties of fig. Desert king, florea, and hardy Chicago Just to name a few.

>>1091949
Get a computer tower with a working light and fan and look up "sea of green" instructions
>>
File: 2016-06-04_16-36-24.jpg (805KB, 798x1200px) Image search: [Google]
2016-06-04_16-36-24.jpg
805KB, 798x1200px
>>1091955
Yeah, as I said "Brown Turkey" is a very widespread variety here, it usually even fruits twice per year in our cool weather. I think "Ronde de Bordeaux" behaves very similarly
Anyway I noticed figs are extremely widespread in my tiny vllage of 3500, almost every second garden has one. I personally only planted a few myself last year
>>
File: dsc00313.jpg (553KB, 2160x1620px) Image search: [Google]
dsc00313.jpg
553KB, 2160x1620px
>>1091949
>locate sunny window in your home
>ideally facing south
>on your next shopping trip, locate the following: grocery store, gardening/department/hobby store, and maybe coffee shop/yogurt shop/ice cream parlor
>grocery store: buy your favorite things that come in plastic containers (ideally bigger than pudding cups, pic related) and transparent plastic cups
>gardening/department/hobby store: aquire coconut coir
>go home and enjoy stuff, turn your block of coconut coir into soil and clean out containers and carefully drill a few small holes in their bottoms
>place them on a small tray or saucers
>fill containers with soil
>add seeds (ask friends or family for stuff, look online for things that appeal to you or buy some when youre at the department or gardening store)
>wet thouroughly
>drill a small hole or two in the side of the transparent cups
>put cups over the planted seeds (press a little into soil)
>label stuff
>place trays/saucer at aforementionend window
>keep moist but not wet (use a spray bottle)
>wait for sprouting
>remove cups from plants when they have grown a little, keep watering (now with can)
>when plants get bigger, consider fertilizing

Voila, cheap and easy so you can test if you are into it. if your window does not provide enough light, add a lamp to your setup, a bright white bulb should work, nothing fancy either.
>>
>>1092019
Thanks
>>
File: IMG_20170831_190010.jpg (2MB, 1944x2592px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170831_190010.jpg
2MB, 1944x2592px
Is there any pepper better than the jalapeno? I think not.
>>
>>1092105
Hungarian Wax, though each has its uses. My jalapenos this year have corked a great deal. Only one year have the ripe ones been completely uncorked.
>>
My Fatalii seeds just arrived today, so gonna germinate them tomorrow. Happy they got through customs, and in time for me germinating all my other seeds.
>>
Any of your guys used rock wool before? Got some cheap from China last summer and am gonna try germinating some seeds with it this spring.

Also any good shit you guys have bought online for gardening?
>>
>>1091723
What is that really black soil in some of the pots?
>>
>>1092273
Pretty sure those are pebbles.>>1092273
>>
>>1092258
I get most of my heirloom seeds from online. I'm building up my own seed bank, from the things I've been growing.
>>
>>1092288
Yeah I get my seeds online too, more wondering about cool shit to spend money on, not necessarily seeds.

How are you keeping your seeds good over time? Do you have a cool setup for that?
>>
>>1092289
There's an okay farming/gardening culture here for equipment and such, just not a good seed selection. Thus, I only need new/rare seeds from online.

My seed bank simply is just glass jars with envelopes and bottles of air-dried seeds in them. There's lots of humidity here and problems with insects, so everything needs to be put into air tight, insect proof containers.
>>
>>1092291
How long do seeds last in glass jars? Do you keep multiple jars based on different types of plants, or just whatever to maximize space?

I'm always interested in stuff like this, because if I ever get good at growing plant then knowing more about storing seeds will be critical to me saving a bit of cash.

What's your favorite heirlooms you have gotten so far?
>>
>>1092293
After I get a bunch of seeds of each, I'll have more jars that are just for one seed type. Right now I mostly use 1-gallon pickle jars and a few canning jars. These seeds last for several years. I also have all the stuff to vacuum seal canning jars, though I've not started doing that yet. The best longest term storage method is to dry the seeds properly, put them into a container you can vacuum seal, vent out all the air with nitrogen gas, vacuum seal it, and freeze it. This saves a ton of money on seeds every year.

https://www.usaemergencysupply.com/information-center/self-reliance/seed-viability-in-long-term-storage/seed-viability-myths

>What's your favorite heirlooms you have gotten so far?

I don't really have a favorite, but the main list is,

Asparagus (Mary Washington)
Swiss Chard (Fordhook Giant)
Pepper (Hungarian Wax)
Sunflower (Mongolian Giant)
Pumpkin (Dickinson)
Summer Squash (Vining Yellow Crookneck)
Corn (Painted Mountain)
Purslane (Common)
Lamb's Quarters (Wild)
Dandelion (Wild)
Gourd (Birdhouse, Luffa Sponge)
Watermelon (Unknown Variety; looking for a different variety)
Burdock (Common Burdock)
Plantain (Broadleaf)
Catnip (Lemon)
Tomato (Yellow Pear, Italian Red Pear, Cherokee)
Nightshade (Eastern Black Nightshade)
Potato (Purple Majesty tubers, Yukon Gold tubers, Red Pontiac tubers, Russet tubers)

Wanted,

More varieties of potatoes and Peruvian tubers; sweet potato varieties.
Huge striped watermelon.
Sweetcorn.
>>
>>1092299
That's actually quite an interesting read. Fuck some of the quacks that have no idea how vitamins and things work get to me.

I actually work for a agricultural feed company and can get seeds and things for sweet corn and a few other things as animal feed, but they are proprietary hybrids, so I would be breaking my contract by trying to grow them. I have thought about making corn whiskey out of it though.

Anyway, that's a cool list. Do you think using standard vacumn bags would do the same thing? Or better to do jars? I was thinking drying, packaging in paper with seed info on it, and then putting those paper packages into a vacuum sealer bag and sealing that. Although I suppose that I would need to be growing a lot more than I do now, and would need to figure out how to harvest seeds for each type of plant.

Also, you have grown a few, are potato's easy to grow? I love potato's but have never tried growing them.
>>
>>1092303
Some people do use vacuum bags. I prefer jars because there's far less plastic and they don't puncture easily. I tried bags a couple of times and they always got tiny holes in them. Also, mice and insects can chew through the plastic, so you need to put them in a metal can, like those you get with 3 types of popcorn in them during the holidays. On the envelopes I also draw a small picture of what the fruit/flower looks like.

Potatoes are really easy to grow. Storing them over winter for next season's crop can be difficult.
>>
File: IMG_20170830_172451.jpg (2MB, 2610x4640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170830_172451.jpg
2MB, 2610x4640px
>>1092273
If you mean the pots on the left, it's just a covering layer, black aquarium sand.
>>
File: Plant.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
Plant.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
>>1084132
Hello all I have this plant but I don't know what it is. Little fucker was in a tiny pot but was growing leaves and a new branch like no tomorrow. Repotted it, it seems to have taken it well and is doing great. Has kinda waxy leaves and the trunk is pretty stout but not heavy. Not a clue what it is though. Anyone here know?
>>
The hurricane brought horrific amounts of rain, my plants were completely submerged for 4 or 5 days. It's been sunny the last few days, though.
The last time I checked on them was a day or so ago, they seemed fine.
Today when I went out to check, I found most of them dead. Completely brown and shriveled.

Can overwatering cause such a sudden change in a plant's health? It seems like they went from green and healthy to brown and dry in just a day. Could it have been something else that killed them?
>>
>>1092440
Yes. There are a few reasons. Another thing is that if there is flood runoff from other locations around your garden, they could have brought in any number of pesticides and chemicals that can kill them. One good indicator of that is having everything but your corn die. That'd be weed killer used to keep lawns looking "nice." Otherwise, drowning in water in soil normally leads to root rot.
>>
I started a vermicompost bin recently which currently sits on my back porch. I've been having a lot of problems with ants. I've tried to keep it moist over the past few days but can't seem to keep them at bay. I think they're just house ants so I don't think they pose a threat to the other insects, should I stop worrying about it? Does anyone have any advice? Thanks!
>>
>>1092435
adenium obesum
>>
>>1092505

Ants won't cross a chalk line. Draw chalk smears all around your box.
>>
>>1092413
>>1092279
Oh.

I ask because my departament store sells succulents planted in nothing but these black pebbles, in glass containers with no drainage. What are they doing, exactly? Is it possible to keep a plant like that long-term?
>>
They need drainage. Those are only for show. Otherwise, salts will build up and cause root burn eventually. Sometimes you can even see mineral deposits on the stones through the glass.
>>
What is a good short-notice solution for pests in the garden when I'm already working on making my plants healthier in the future?
>>
Yo, just got my first batch of seeds germinating for this upcoming season! Mix of tomato's, chilli's and cucumbers to start. Gonna get some lettuce and cabbages going in a few weeks.

This an experimental season boys. Have some manzano chilli plants that survived the winter, and the goal for this season is to learn how to stop being bad at gardening, and to harvest viable seeds from everything I grow that I even semi like. Need to learn how to get seeds from cabbages and lettuces effectively. Tomato's, chilli's and cucumbers are all self explanatory.
>>
File: IMG_20170902_151246691.jpg (3MB, 2268x4032px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170902_151246691.jpg
3MB, 2268x4032px
>>1092672
Forgot to attach picture. Gonna have another couple of those little tray with cabbages and lettuces. Then might do some potato's and shit separate, just have to work out a cool way of doing them or some shit. All the grow your own potato kits at the store look meme as fuck. Although I did buy some coconut coir, so not sure if I'm being memed already.
>>
File: strawberry_growing.jpg (147KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
strawberry_growing.jpg
147KB, 1200x1600px
>>1084132
Hey guys. I recently got into gardening and am very excited about it. I started with Ozark everbearing strawberries a couple months ago - 26 root plants, only 5 survived the root plant stage but they're now quite strong and big (already managed to get one really tasty strawberry off of one, another is growing - pic related from a couple weeks ago. Yes I know I should be trimming the flowers off so they can grow stronger but I couldn't resist letting a couple grow.) Also have some herbs planted.

Anyway I'm retarded and planted late in the season - winter is coming and it's getting cold around here. I want to buy some grow lamps and let my everbearing berries keep going throughout the winter.

I have a really nice south facing window and a stackable planter ("Mr. Stacky"). My plan is to put up some kind of vertical grow lights on one side of the Stacky and have the south facing window on the other, maybe rotating the Stacky a little every day.

Two questions:

1) Is this a good plan? Am I missing anything obvious? What do you think of my setup?

2) I don't know what kind of lights to buy but I'm thinking about a powerpar commercial 4 ft LED fixture. Maybe an LED flat panel instead. Really I don't know what the fuck I'm doing, please suggest to me what kind of light to buy - I understand I will probably have to pay like 300 bucks, but this catalog I'm looking at is massive and confusing.

Thanks to anyone that can help! Gardening is my new favorite hobby, very stress relieving.
>>
>>1092663
BT fucks up bugs that eat your plants and it's all-natural. Not sure how long it takes to be absorbed into the plant after application, though.
Diatomaceous earth fucks up slugs and isopods that walk across it, meaning it functions immediately after you spread it onto your soil.

Certain pests have their own specific countermeasures you could search for.
>>
Anyone grown beans from store bought dry beans? I wanna grow some nice beans for chilli and eating with lunch, and like black beans but can find a commerical seller. Also anyone know of some good heirlooms that would fit the bill that I might find in New Zealand for sale?
>>
>>1092778
I want to dry them too if that makes a difference. Anyone got any tips for that?
>>
>>1092708
Grats.

I just use LED shop lights instead of more expensive "grow" lights for overwintering.

>>1092778
>>1092780
I bought dry beans at the store and grew them one year. It was pretty easy. I let them dry on the plant then harvested them. Shelling them by hand was a major pain and I recommend using a bean sheller either DIY or bought. There is a good chance most/all of the dry stuff in the grocery store will be heirloom and not hybrid in regard to dry beans. Especially, in NZ.
>>
>>1092843
Hmm might give it a try considering I can buy a bag of whatever I want and then just eat whatever I don't plant. Any truth to the horror stories online of 5-20% viability?
>>
>>1092846
Check for yourself. Lay out 100 seeds and sprout them. If 43 of them sprout then it is 43% viability.
>>
>>1092843
Thanks. LED shop lights? I don't understand the difference. I thought most grow lights these days were LEDs. It seems like there is a whole universe of information for me to research here (you have to understand I'm a computer guy who recently got into outdoors stuff so this is all new to me). Could you recommend a specific product for what I have in mind?
>>
File: New Thread.jpg (65KB, 526x350px) Image search: [Google]
New Thread.jpg
65KB, 526x350px
NEW THREAD: >>1093050
>>
Anyone here growing carnivorous plants? Are they a meme?
Thread posts: 318
Thread images: 81

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.