[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Homegrowmen Thread #100

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 312
Thread images: 74

File: Homegrowmen 100.jpg (5MB, 2732x2732px) Image search: [Google]
Homegrowmen 100.jpg
5MB, 2732x2732px
Old thread: >>1055900

Search terms:

Companion Planting - Raised Beds - Hugelkultur - Vertical Gardening - Square Foot Gardening - Polyculture - Composting - Windrow Composting - Mulching - Vermiculture - Espalier - Fungiculture - Aquaponics - Greenhouses - Cold Frames - Hot Boxes - Polytunnels - Forest Gardening - Aquaculture - Mittlieder Method - Keyhole Garden - Window Frame Garden - Straw Bale Gardening - Soil-bag Gardening - Lasagna Gardening - No-till Method - Container Gardening - Ollas Irrigation - Kratky Method

Chickens - Goats - Pigs - Sheep - Cattle - Ducks - Turkey - Honey Bees - Geese - Llama - Alpaca - Fish - Crayfish

Resources:

https://pastebin.com/4CqXsHFm

Secondary Edible Parts of Vegetables:
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/newsletters/hortupdate/hortupdate_archives/2005/may05/SecVeget.html

>temp image
>>
File: Monsanto_Shill.png (47KB, 832x1199px) Image search: [Google]
Monsanto_Shill.png
47KB, 832x1199px
>>1062541
Actually, stuff like vinegar is super effective at killing plants. However, it does not discriminate about what it kills. Thus, anything you pour or spray it on will die and so will the things touching it. Roundup is only good when crops/lawn is mixed in with weeds and you want to only kill the weeds. Hence the "Roundup Ready" gmos for crops. So, if you need to nuke something and it isn't mixed in with things you don't want to nuke, use vinegar or boiling water. Vinegar will be more effective in the long run for things like clumps of grass, when pouring it on. Use only as a light spray, vinegar is great for killing top growth, but leaving roots.

But, seriously, if you use Roundup, you should do the world a favor and drink it. Supporting Monsanto is nothing anyone should be caught doing.
>>
>>1062450
Is the mint shriveling or dying? Allow the soil and plant to dry out a little more than normal, without wilting the plant. Keep it away from other mint species plants. Remove bottom leaves that have lots of spots. You can try something called "Colloidal Silver" as a spray for the leaves if you think you need an anti-fungal. Just don't hose it down. It only needs a little tiny bit on the leaves. You can make it at home or buy it online. Just stay away from the absolute massive amount of retard websites who use it for internal health bullshit.

>>1062389
Did you post a pic of your tank setup? I know changing amounts of nutrients can be pretty slow in some systems. Slow is good of course. How old is the system you are using with that many fish? Have you put plants in the system yet?
>>
>>1062610
Why all the hate for Monsanto? They have done nothing that oher company's haven't.
>>
File: aqua2.jpg (3MB, 2784x3712px) Image search: [Google]
aqua2.jpg
3MB, 2784x3712px
>>1062610

How the fuck is boiling water going to kill stuff when i spray it out of a sprayer? I want the laser straight line roundup will give me.

If it's any consolation, I used the generic glyphosate, not Monsanto brand :^)

>>1062614
Here's kind of a cruddy pic from this morning. Four tomato plants dying of magnesium deficiency (I added magnesium sulphate last night), and 3 cucumber plants.

100 gallon stock tank, pumping water into a 60 gallons stock tank full of river rock, using a flood drain method.
>>
File: aqua.jpg (955KB, 2304x1036px) Image search: [Google]
aqua.jpg
955KB, 2304x1036px
>>1062639

Here it is a month ago
>>
File: grattoir-a-douille-manche.jpg (27KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
grattoir-a-douille-manche.jpg
27KB, 700x700px
>>1062639
what do you need the roundup for anyway? It's literal poison if you need to remove weed just use pic related you lazy sack of shit
>>
>>1062610
>vinegar is super effective at killing plants
>vinegar is great for killing top growth, but leaving roots
So which one is it, then?

With regards to your implicitly calling anyone who disagrees a shill, as if it's impossible to criticise Monsanto yet admit there's a reason the products they sell are popular: you cited precisely no sources on the effectivity of vinegar and boiling water compared to glyphosate in getting rid of unwanted plants and you are the only one who used ad hominems. Also, please stop conflating Monsanto with GMOs as if they're one and the same thing. Genetically modifying organisms so we could get more, larger and healthier food is the whole reasons humans managed to procreate so much and colonise the planet. There is no tangible difference between breeding generation upon generation to make a desired trait show up all the time, and doing away with the whole process by modifying the plants in a lab.

Anyway, coincidentally, starting from tomorrow my country/region makes the use of Roundup illegal. You can still buy/sell it, though. Thanks, Belgium.
>>
>>1062604
Old general is old

Two of my tomato plants are growing only grape sized fruit before they ripen, while the third one has nice fat ones that aren't ripening at all. At least I get some while I wait for the big fruit. My firewood raised bed is a success after all
>>
Does tomato leaf mold live in soil? Both my tomato plants seem to be showing symptoms despite the fact that their foliage isn't thick enough to inhibit drying of the leaves. It seems like they must be catching it from the soil.
I've looked into other types of fungus it could be, but none of the symptoms match as well. It's definitely not blight, I've got a sweet potato vine just a few feet away from the tomatoes and it doesn't share any symptoms.
>>
>>1062698
Keep in mind physical damage to leaves makes them more susceptible to fungal/bacterial infections. Any spider mite/aphid damage can be an open window. That's my issue here, with the fungus/bacteria coming after my plants get nibbled. Could be why some of the damage doesn't fit the bill.

Soil splash-back is known for spreading foliar diseases. Try to keep the hose low and the pressure low enough to not send debris flying.
>>
>>1062717
I haven't noticed any insects on the tomato plants so far.
Also I water with a soaker hose, the only time the leaves get wet at all is when it rains.
>>
File: 20170718_102243.jpg (306KB, 605x806px) Image search: [Google]
20170718_102243.jpg
306KB, 605x806px
Happy 100

Also babby basil
>>
My jalapeƱos are blooming, and some of them are even fruiting. Is there any fertilizer I could too dress the plants with to ensure the plants have all the nutrients they need?
>>
>>1062728
*top dress
>>
>>1062728
Epsom salt. Pepper plants are light feeders
>>
>>1062645
>It's literal poison

so is tylenol, soap, ethanol, salt, nicotine.....
>>
>>1062740
Thanks!
>>
File: Photo0899.jpg (1MB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Photo0899.jpg
1MB, 1600x1200px
fucking chaos in there
>>
>>1062614
Mint anon here.

I'm just afraid that the rust is coming from the pot and it will keep coming back. But I'll try removing infected leaves and see if the plant gets any better before getting a new pot / plant.
>>
>>1062639
You dump the boiling water on using a stock pot.

>>1062682
It states in the post that you "pour" on vinegar to kill everything, but only "spray" to kill the tops.

>>1062639
>>1062640
It is certainly looking better now. You have nitrates/nitrites, but the plants are using all of it. You will most likely need a second tank for extra fish.

>>1062695
Nice. Are they different cultivars? I already need to harvest again. I'm waiting for evening when it is cooler.

>>1062698
>Does tomato leaf mold live in soil?

Yes, which is why it is best to remove the bottom leaves as soon as you can and to use mulch to prevent rain from splashing soil up onto the plant. Keep in mind that it is normal for old leaves to yellow, have spots, and die after the tomatoes just above them are at full size, but not ripe yet. When the tomatoes are as big as you want them, you can remove all the leaves below that truss of tomatoes. Removing the old leaves helps air flow around the plant and prevents disease if there's lots of rain and high humidity. Otherwise, they just dry out and don't harm anything except aesthetics.

>>1062728
Side dressing with some manure would give them everything they need, if you have a source.

>>1062821
Just removing the bad leaves and restricting water should be enough. Are the pots fast draining? That will help.
>>
Heres just kinda an update of what im doing these days, im an indoorhomegrowmen

Ive also been working on an 8 switch computer controlled box to handle lights, pumps, and fans

when im done with it ill release a tutorial and free software so you guys can automate growing if you want. Also im trying to make some how to tutorials based around tech and plants.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjI8b6WX4_Y

this is my first attempt if you wanna see.
>>
>>1062844
cool video. hows the avocado doin now
>>
>>1062941
the end of the video was filmed like two days ago so it looks like that. the grow lights have kept it nice and thick trunked and nice bushy top

Im trying to start a bunch, I jumped the gun on one seed and transplanted it, but its not doing anything so i think i killed it :(

ordered some tobacco seeds,

and those goji berry seeds

for whatever reason goji berry seeds are expensive as hell
>>
>>1062840
>Are the pots fast draining? That will help.
The pot is made of something light, maybe some kind of particle board or styrofoam or something? I drilled five holes in the bottom since it didn't have any drainage holes.
>>
>>1062840
>Keep in mind that it is normal for old leaves to yellow, have spots, and die after the tomatoes just above them are at full size
Oh, really? I've never heard this before.
Is it normal for ALL the old leaves to yellow and die? The spotting is ascending from the oldest leaves upward, but none of the ones above the growing tomatoes have any real damage.
>>
>>1062840
>Nice. Are they different cultivars? I already need to harvest again. I'm waiting for evening when it is cooler.
I don't know. I set up the garden for my parents, and my dad just planted some tomato seedlings and a variety of peppers without thinking much about them. Ripped up half the broccoli that was growing, but the leaves were fully mature with holes the size of coins all over, so it was for the best. Two of the tomato plants are in greater shade than the third, and might have slightly worse soil/drainage.

The peppers are basically overshadowed almost entirely by the tomatoes, but are both growing a couple fruit each.
>>
Most of my fennel plants have bolted rather than forming bulbs, I didn't know when I planted them that they bolt in heat.
Can bolted fennel still be eaten/used as herbs, or does it turn nasty like bolted lettuce does?
>>
File: celery_man.gif (481KB, 303x500px) Image search: [Google]
celery_man.gif
481KB, 303x500px
>cross posting in #99 and #100
Me again from thread #97 - I have successfully transplanted my strawberry plant to it's own big planter! It's since grown 5-8 new leaves and has 6 new strawberry buds on them, two of which have bloomed their flowers and are now developing strawberries!

Now it's time for war! The war on Squirrels! Gray squirrels, to be precise. Everything I can find online says the only effective way to keep squirrels from your garden is to trap and relocate them (no poisons or repelling agents are commercially available), but I can't help but think that someone somewhere has had come up with a method by now for keeping squirrels away from their bounty without moving or killing them. After all - we put man on the moon, successfully grant the deaf the ability to hear again, and genetically modify our food to repel pests and disease, not to mention the medical marvels of the past 100 years - but we can't keep an 18-inch, 1lb mammal out of a 4' x 4' bed? Bullshit.

So what have you come up with? I was thinking about moving the planter to the back yard where the dogs could protect it, but the dogs aren't always outside and the plant won't get the sunlight it needs on that side of the house. The bastards will get their grubby little paws on my strawberries through chicken wire, and a fine mesh would block out too much sun.

Has anyone ever had to keep squirrels at bay, and if so - what was the solution?

Thanks in advance - you guys are helpful and friendly, a rarity on 4chan!
>>
File: 20170718_170031.jpg (3MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20170718_170031.jpg
3MB, 2560x1440px
Hop anon here, how are they looking? Fyi the trellis is about 8 feet tall.
>>
>>1063085
Peep out your window every half hour. If there's a squirrel near your plants, shoot it with a BB gun. Just one pump. Won't break skin but it'll hurt like hell and the deterrent factor lasts a long time and spans generations.
>>
File: tayne_hatwobble.gif (426KB, 285x190px) Image search: [Google]
tayne_hatwobble.gif
426KB, 285x190px
Forgot to namefag

>>1063125
>Peep out your window every half hour.
I have a full time job - I can't afford to stay home until these strawberries are pickable.

>shoot it with a BB gun
Would a paintball gun work?
>>
>>1063125
Last time I did something like this, they made a game out of it. The game was over when I switched to modified rat traps and a .22lr.

>>1063085
Use hardware cloth, not chicken wire. It is sturdier and lasts far longer. I've seen young squirrels squeeze through normal sized chicken wire holes. It will block more light, but that really won't matter.

>>1063129
>Would a paintball gun work?

Yes, but there's a good chance they can dodge it. Those things displace a lot of air on their way in.

>>1063000
Nibble and find out.

>>1062959
Some mints like standing water sometimes while others like well draining and fairly dry soil. I hope it does well.

>there's a guy who can actually kill mint....

>>1062958
I started my goji bushes using dried berries sold at a health store. I was surprised they germinated rather well. There's 100s of seeds, like those in blueberries.

If the avocado isn't doing anything does that also mean it isn't showing ill signs?

>>1062960
Yeah, if they are perfectly healthy they will only yellow and dry out to dark brown. Most in my climate start to get spots and the dry leaves will often times get mold, but neither harm the plant, unless it is excessively rainy. When I worked at a professional greenhouse, the plants were as old as 3 years and 50-75 feet long. However, they only had a bout a 6-8 feet tall section that had leaves. The rest was bare. We had to go through the entire place every few days and "bottom leaf" removing all the older yellowing leaves.

You should always remove the yellowing spotty leaves even if the weather is fine and dry. You never know when things will change.

>>1062995
>tfw I missed harvesting this evening....

Its going to be a long morning.

>>1063113
Good growth. Are some of them yellowing a little?
>>
>>1063085
>>1063125

I wish the squirrel zapper was more useful.
>>
My tomato plants always look really ugly this time of year.

Leaf curl and ugly spots.

But they always produce really well.
Could this be caused by nutrient deficiency or maybe because im growing outside in a cooler country.

Ive only ever grown this one variety from the same pack of seeds i bought four years ago.
Could it be a seed problem?
>>
>>1063132
>Good growth. Are some of them yellowing a little?

Yes a few of them. I - think - its because the drainage isn't great in those areas, or I'm not watering enough, or there is some sort of nutritional deficiency. I'm not sure of which.

If it helps I'm in western Washington.
>>
>>1063306
Can you post a pic?
>>
>>1063306
Just curly leaves is normally due to temperature changes and cold snaps. All mine had that early in spring, not all the newer growth is fine during the hot summer.

>ugly spots

What kind and color?

>>1063332
If it started at the bottom and moved up then it probably is too much water. You could put a divider in the bed to prevent water from the other side reaching the affected plants.
>>
File: 20170719_072127-2993x3991.jpg (2MB, 2993x3991px) Image search: [Google]
20170719_072127-2993x3991.jpg
2MB, 2993x3991px
Are these corn plants too close?
>>
>>1063438
Should be fine since there's room around them.
>>
File: Berry Trellis.jpg (30KB, 370x503px) Image search: [Google]
Berry Trellis.jpg
30KB, 370x503px
Happy 100th everyone.

I'm in the process of clearing out an area for my berries and will be testing the soil and adding whatever is needed quite soon.

Is there any advice anyone can give based on having grown berries? It's my first time and I have a raspberry and a blackberry plant, but might add another of each if I have the room for them.

Would pic related suit either or both types of canes? it doesn't show the height of the wires though, so I may have to do more research.
>>
>>1063451
My raspberries always need a bit more shade than the blackberries. The blackberries also seem to tolerate more ash in the soil, they don't exactly like it but it doesn't stop them. Both survive zone 4 winters.
>>
File: raspberrypropogation_large.png (96KB, 2124x1588px) Image search: [Google]
raspberrypropogation_large.png
96KB, 2124x1588px
>>1063451
ā€¢Blackberries are super easy to propagate via rhizomes that shoot new plants up a couple feet from the parent plant.
ā€¢Raspberries are sure easy to propagate via cuttings/layerings.

The first year a berry cane grows it will not flower and fruit. That same cane will flower and fruit in its second year. Some varieties of red/gold raspberry will actually flower and fruit 1 to 2 times in the same year in their first year of growth

After you have harvested all the berries from a single cane, it will die that winter. When it dies and turns brown cut it out. Blackberries can get out of hand is a serious way. Do you best to keep them in order. You can tie them up, corral them up, or let them fall all over and merely hack your path through once a year. As the bramble patch expands the center will eventually die out in a few years do to lack of nutrients. If you want to maintain the canes in the same place you'll need to fertilize it once a year. A 2 inch layer of mulch will usually suffice. Most people here use saw dust, wood chips, straw, and leaves.

Raspberry patches are not nearly as prolific as blackberries. Wild cultivars of black raspberries do better than red or gold. Gold tends to be the weakest performer and most care is needed for it. Thornless "Blackberries" tend to be a weak performer too and don't like the cold winters where I live.

Birds will eat most of your crop. You need to protect it. You can set up some scary anti-bird devices as well as some poles to install netting over the brambles. Don't allow the netting to touch the canes or allow the canes to grow through the netting. It will be a nightmare if it does. The best method is to have some posts with arches at the top with rope purlins so you can slide the netting over with the help of another person.

>your pic

It depends on the cultivar. Some of my best blackberry canes are about 12 feet tall with branches making them 5-6 feet wide. That's 1 cane that's 1.5 inches thick at the base.
>>
File: DSCN3529a.jpg (153KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN3529a.jpg
153KB, 1024x768px
Just got back from harvesting this morning.

61 pounds/27.6kg of produce from the gardens.

I picked on tiny watermelon since the vine died. There's 3 squash varieties, 3 tomato varieties, tomatillos, and 2 cucumber varieties in those bags.

>>1063132
>Its going to be a long morning.

>>
>>1063506
What do you do with all those veggies?
>>
>>1063520
Eat them, preserve them, trade them for stuff I don't grow/raise, and sell them..
>>
>>1063538
Sounds comfy.
>>
>>1063506
What's in the bags?
>>
>>1062610
Glyphosate is produced by many, many other companies that AREN'T monsanto
>>
>>1063614
Not that guy, but those look like 3 squash varieties, 3 tomato varieties, tomatillos, and 2 cucumber varieties to me.
>>
File: DSCN3535c.jpg (380KB, 1016x1210px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN3535c.jpg
380KB, 1016x1210px
>>1063614
>>1063681
They contain everything you see on the blue table, minus the big zucchini, plus the bumpy, yellow, pear-shaped squash on the white table. The stuff on the white table is what remains of the harvest 2 days ago (remaining zucchini not pictured). There's over 120lbs of produce here.
>>
>>1063657
Roundup is a Monsanto product. Which is why they were being discussed.

>>1062637
Other companies' products were not being discussed.
>>
>>1063689
Nice. May I ask for some cucumber growing tips? National Pickling.
>>
>try googling something about plants
>get 50 pages of stoner broscience
Why is this allowed?
>>
File: IMG_20170719_145242.jpg (3MB, 3456x4608px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170719_145242.jpg
3MB, 3456x4608px
Mint rust anon here. Is this mint rust? Also found some kind of caterpillar, maybe this is related? Or else my plant has two simultaneous infections/infestations.
>>
>>1063703
They really hate cold snaps so plant them when temps stabilize well above 60F at night. Use a poly tunnel or other heat retaining cover at night. Using black plastic as mulch will help a lot. Plant in succession every 2-3 weeks so you always have new plants coming on and fruiting. They love nitrogen so give them a bit more than most plants. If you are picking for pickling whole, never let the fruit grow over 3 inches. That is the best gherkin size range. Otherwise, let them grow however large you want. Maintaining a good harvest cycle will encourage more fruiting.

I can't remember if NP is a cultivar that has both male and female flowers or not, I think it is. I'm use to growing cucumber varieties that don't need to be pollinated; which actually do better when screened off from insects and are not pollinated.

>>1063744
You need to add the specific plant name and/or scientific name and use the minus sign to help remove search results you don't want. Examples,

grow lights for chili peppers -marijuana -weed -smoke
indoor plant grow tent -marijuana -weed -smoke
Indoor hydroponics tips -marijuana -weed -smoke

And for specific file types like PDF format:

chili pepper growing tips filetype:pdf -marijuana -weed -smoke

For more scientific results use: https://scholar.google.com/

>>1063757
Looks like bacterial spot. It could be caused by lots of things, usually overwatering, but insects can help spread it. Not sure what caterpillar that is.
>>
>>1063690
>Roundup is a Monsanto product. Which is why they were being discussed.

When you talk about chapstick do you really mean the Pfizer owned brand ChapStickĀ®?

When you say kleenex you mean the Kimberly-Clark Worldwide, Inc. owned brand KleenexĀ®?

Tylenol?

Q-Tip?

Sharpie?

Zamboni?
>>
>>1063744
This is basically how it goes:
>create a ridiculous(ly unnecessary) setup for a plant
>get good results, though thanks to reasons completely unrelated to the setup
>this is now the way everyone will be growing it

Crossposting a bit of /plant/ here, but there's a certain carnivorous plant that is often found growing alongside riverbanks, and someone once described it as liking "the cool water running through its roots", clearly just a poetic description. This became gospel and people have gone completely insane and actually created setups to mimic rivers flowing through the roots of the plant. How do they think plants work, in fact do they even think at all? I sometimes try to explain this kind of stuff is bogus, but it feels like a losing battle. People just believe what they want to believe. It wouldn't even be so bad if they didn't manage to get new growers into their cult as well.
>>
>>1063764
>He uses generic
>>
File: DSCN3543a.jpg (777KB, 1024x1530px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN3543a.jpg
777KB, 1024x1530px
Ohh, the purple potatoes are starting to pop up. They are 2 weeks early.

>>1063764
I literally talk about the product made by the company with the name. Which is why I distinguish between Bandaid and bandages. Where I live everyone else does the same thing.

Acetaminophen/Ibuprofen when talking about off brands.
Tissue when talking about any tissue, no one says "Kleenex".
Cotton swabs for generic items, but "Q-tip" when you want quality (usually for the sturdier shaft).

You don't refer to all trucks as "Chevys" or all soda pop/soft drinks as "Coke" do you?
>>
>>1063768
>paying twice the price for what is quite often literally produced on the same line and only packaged differently

Candy bars are a good example of this.

>>1063772
You can't always distinguish between brand names and the words those things used to be called. It's a natural part of language development. The brand names lose their attachment to the brand and become the new standard terms, they're called generic(ised) trademarks. See
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_generic_and_genericized_trademarks#List_of_former_trademarks_that_have_since_become_generic_terms_due_to_reasons_other_than_genericization
>>
>>1063787
>>1063786
We were talking specifically about Monsanto and Roundup though. Sorry you kids got triggered.
>>
>>1063764
...Yes
>>
File: drama.jpg (3MB, 2784x3712px) Image search: [Google]
drama.jpg
3MB, 2784x3712px
>>1063788

Sorry you may have been confused by generics and colloquialisms, but I had meant Roudup as a generic term for glyphosphate

>ASSUMING THIS HARD
>>
>>1063787

>paying twice the price for what is quite often literally produced on the same line and only packaged differently

Name one example of this . Oh wait you can't because it's retarded shit you saw on plebbit
>>
>>1063827
I can name multiple examples from my own non-country that would be completely meaningless to you. I assume you mean reddit, in which case: nice projecting, and it's time to grow up if you are that interested in showing you're part of the cool kids. Please keep immature content off of the more mature boards like this one. I come here to actually talk about plants and look at pictures of other people's gardens, not to see people calling each other retards.

>>1063788
>>1063793
I was also using Roundup as a generic term. I think there was only one person talking about Monsanto's Roundup and they just got in an argument with themselves.
>>
>>1063793
>>1063857
>I was only pretending to be retarded.

Say what you mean, mean what you say.
>>
>>1063864
What?
>>
hey yall, i put my germinating thai pepper seeds in my attic thinking that it would be a nice warm area for them to germinate, but i went up there today and realized that during the day time, the temperature gets up to 105 Fahrenheit. They've been up there for three days.

What's the possibility that they'll still sprout? i moved them to a cooler area ofc.
>>
>>1063867
>I could give examples if I didn't live in a non country

How is your opinion even relevant to a real country?
>>
>>1063891
They should be fine as long as the seeds are getting enough light to trigger them and they are not drying out.
>>
>>1063913
the soil has remained moist because I have one of those plastic covers on top to keep the humidity in, but I thought the seeds didnt need light until they actually poked through the ground? Sorry if thats a dumb question but this is my first grow ever
>>
File: mother rabbit with her eggs.jpg (722KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
mother rabbit with her eggs.jpg
722KB, 1680x1050px
I'm thinking about getting a few rabbits so I can enjoy fresh eggs every moarning. Does anybody have any experience with this? Particular breeds that give you better tasting eggs than other breeds? On average, how many eggs can I expect per animal per week?
>>
>>1063941
Some seeds need all manner of weird things to trigger them. Pepper seeds need light for best germination rate. Most seeds that are sown very shallowly need light. Some can't have it or they won't germinate, those are normally planted 1.5-2 inches down.
>>
suggestions for what to do with lots of cherry tomatoes?

currently want to try canning some (properly, yes) and or drying some

gonna have to check the plants more carefully, they're growing so well they keep making new babies
>>
>>1063943
I've never done a taste test between breeds. I have several breads. I have about a dozen hens at any one time. When they are all at egg laying age, they can produce about 8-10 eggs every single day (around 4 to 6 dozen per week). The really high producing breeds like black australorp will produce about 1 egg a day. The trade off for high laying breeds is normally the extra feed required. Jungle type breeds can forage a great deal for very low to no feed costs, but they are have a much lower egg laying rate.
>>
>>1063946
If you have a "Universal food chopper" use that to process the cherry tomatoes. It will cut up the skins well enough that they won't be a problem when you can them and eat them later.

Their best use seems to be fresh in salads. They are extremely prolific. If you have a food dehydrator, slice them and dehydrate them for various uses. That's anything from pizza topping to soups, to grinding to powder for baking and stocks.
>>
>>1063947
I'm not talking about hens (chickens), I'm talking about sows (rabbits). I'm allergic to bird products.
>>
>>1063951
So was I.
>>
>>1063767
You clearly just need to try both setups and prove that it isn't necessary through a 40+ page scientific article. Also these Google image captchas get more ridiculous by the day. I always skip "click until there are none left" captchas because they load so slowly, and now Google is making me enter a fucking captcha to do a captcha.
>>
>>1063895
Sorry, I couldn't let this lie. I'm not sure about candy bars because offbrand candy bars aren't that common here, but for things like cereal and granola bars and such, it's pretty common.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generic_brand
From the second paragraph: They may be manufactured by less prominent companies or manufactured on the same production line as a 'named' brand.
So when your 4 year old demands Lucky Charms, just buy the offbrand version, there's usually no difference, and a 4 year old won't be able to tell because presumably you're smart enough to throw the box away.
>>
>>1063964
In the USA there are "off brands" but the contents are not the same nor are the ingredients. As example, it may have a box, name, and color very similar to Lucky Charms but everything inside looks and tastes a bit different. I've found no exceptions to that.

Now back to Homegrowmen instead of this inane shit.
>>
>>1063944
ohhhh well thanks! i just set up a grow light on them so they will hopefully get the light they need
>>
>>1063455
Thanks anon, we have harsh summers here so I'll keep the shading in mind, I do have about 10 Metres of empty garden bed on the east fence that might fit the bill nicely for future berry growing too; that way they'll be protected from the piercing morning sun in summer.

Regarding ash: I have a supply of ash from the fireplace and have been using it in a pH balanced mix with dilute urine to a degree of success in the garden, but I think I'll stick with dynamic lifter and compost for the berries and see how I go.
The soil is no doubt high in clay, so I'll have to do some testing and bring in some mushroom compost and quality loam to balance it out I think.

>>1063504
Awesome advice anon, the method of cloning raspberries from a plant sounds really good and will no doubt be helpful for me.

Luckily, I've got lots of fence room so netting the canes will be nice and easy; we have a fair few doves, magpies, pigeons and parrot beaked birds that come to the garden so I'll be netting them at the first signs of fruit to be safe!

I deliberately avoided the thornless varieties and got a reputable variety that's known for growing well in my area from a local nursery, I do wonder how well a wild variety would grow but don't know how to propagate from a dormant plant.
Would it be just a case of digging up the rhizome and only leaving a couple of stubs sticking out of the ground when replanting?
The variety of blackberry that is a pest here is a really messy and bushy type but I'm afraid they'd be rife with disease from growing in a colony like they do.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170719-202858.png (1MB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170719-202858.png
1MB, 720x1280px
CODE ORANGE-RED GUYS: I left my plant with someone for about 5 days. My apricot plant has now shriveled up, the leaves are shriveled, and I think there are bugs/spiders (unknown as of right now) in the water basin. What can I do? I have begun giving the plant its indoor afternoon sun and water it usually does. What else should I do?
>>
>>1063999
Take your valuable life lesson like a man. Never, ever, trust anyone else with your plants.
>>
>>1063999
Unfortunately it's a goner, but it isn't necessarily the fault of the person you left it with. It could be a fungus problem caused by wet soil (which would also expalain the bugs you're seeing, which I assume are springtails, and they actually feed on the fungus), so make sure you clean your pots with soap and fresh new soil before you put new apricot seeds in them. The bugs won't harm your plants
>>
>>1063959
Even then, these people are so resistant to change they would just keep on using the convoluted setup because "it just works". They straight up refuse to acknowledge reality.

By the way, there's a setting in the settings menu at the bottom/top of the page to use legacy captcha, which only has you enter words.
>>
File: legacy captcha.png (77KB, 1265x653px) Image search: [Google]
legacy captcha.png
77KB, 1265x653px
>>1063988
Yeah, for digging them up, you just cut off the tops at about 6 inches high then dig up a big clog of soil with the roots and plant it where ever you want. It should send up new canes. You don't technically need to cut the tops, but sometimes they are really huge and gnarly to try to transport. They only grow in that messy pattern because that's how all of them grow. You'll need to direct their growth if you want it any other way.

>>1063999
Its dead, Jim.

>>1064152
>By the way, there's a setting in the settings menu at the bottom/top of the page to use legacy captcha, which only has you enter words.

pic
>>
I had access to small plot of land, but it's basically sand (I live near the sea btw). I'm not really into full time farmer mode but having some green near the house isn't vanity crops would be awesome

I wonder I should go straight into mulching the land? Plenty of dead organic matter (usually palm frond, dead woods and occasional seaweed) washed ashore every now but I don't know how to turn them into proper composts
>>
>>1064162
Compost all the organic matter to make your own soil. Locate local farmers and trade work for manure (thankfully, it is all free where I live!) Seaweed is great for composting and making into soil as well as fertilizer. Seaweed as mulch is great too.

https://www.google.com/search?q=seaweed+compost+garden
>>
>>1064203
>>1064162

The soil (rather, sand) needs to be desalted first
>>
File: 1337099678817.jpg (11KB, 228x320px) Image search: [Google]
1337099678817.jpg
11KB, 228x320px
>>1064160
>>By the way, there's a setting in the settings menu at the bottom/top of the page to use legacy captcha, which only has you enter words.
>>
>>1064160
I used to use Legacy captcha, but it had an issue a while back with unreadable captchas that you had to reload and reload and for a long time image captchas were better. The image captcha system has gotten worse and worse every time Google changes it now, though.
>>
File: IMG_1669.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1669.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
It's my dream to have a real garden when we finally are able trick the bank into buying a house and letting us live in it

This is what I have now. I did it! I managed to grow one (1) pepper! I haven't managed to kill it yet! I've killed mint, lavender, and a pot of succulents this year.

Anyway, once we finally get a house, we're in an area where I'll have to worry about bears and things. But I want to continue growing fruits and vegetables. Do any of you have to bear proof your gardens? And deer proof and raccoon proof, I guess.

When we finally
>>
>>1064272
Whoops typo at the end there.

Also, were in zone 5. That's why it's taken so long for this little pepper to appear, I guess.
>>
General question for the /growmen/
I'm in zone 10, southern hemisphere, 0 frost days, it's winter right now but I can't get my chillies to germinate in the greenhouse, is a heat mat worth the investment?
>>
>>1064221
Is it necessary? How do you do that?
>>
>>1064308
Depends. What's the temperature in your greenhouse? what does your setup look like?
>>
File: IMG_20170720_091012.jpg (3MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170720_091012.jpg
3MB, 3024x4032px
Hi.
is it okay to ask about house plants not for sustenance? I have an apsaragus fern and it's turning yellow and i don't know why~

most advice on the internet says to not give it direct sunlight. it only got evening sun for like 7 hours or less. the woman at the store said that would be fine. and that it is fine that the room is super hot -- new orleans, 2nd floor so all the heat rises and the evening sun bakes that side of the house.
I moved it out of direct sunlight about a week ago and it's still turning yellow.
it's turning yellow in the MIDDLE of the plant. pic related ... is it too big or something else?

thanks
>>
>>1064353
How wet does the soil stay? When was the last time it was repotted with new soil? Also there's a plant thread on /an/ where there's knowledgeable people: >>>/an/2429372
>>
>>1064353
It probably needs to be repotted, check to see if it's rootbound. Also, yes the /an/ thread is more geared towards ornamentals, don't be put off by all the carnivores, they're just the /an/ version of peppers.
>>
File: IMG_1925.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1925.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
Yeh boi check out my pepper seedlings
>>
>>1064383
Lookin good mang. Which kinds you got?
>>
>>1064395
the green ones
>>
>>1064398
To expand on that, I just got the green seeds from Home Depot, I don't know if they're any good or not but ya'll are always discussing peppers so I figured I'd give em a try
>>
>>1064383
Southern hemisphere or somewhere frost-free?
Or why else would you start them now, sure you can grow them as perennials indoors, but you don't want to do that with all of them?
>>
>>1064420
puerto rico, tropics
>>
>>1064332
>Is it necessary?
Depends. Not desalinating the soil will reduce your option in term of the type of crops you could grow. Stuff with especially large water content (tomato, water melon) won't gonna grow well

Actually in a properly mulched and composted soil, the salinity will be reduced naturally, but you're looking at up to a year if you can afford to wait

>How do you do that?
Gypsum
>>
>>1064424
Ah OK. Makes me kinda jealous, you'll have huge, man-high peppers in the garden after 2-3 years while I have to restart every single year
>>
>>1064221
>>1064332
>>1064439
You don't need to if you make your own soil. Properly made compost always takes a year or more.
>>
>snip pepper
>it only sends out one replacement shoot instead of two
Would it be best to snip off the single replacement shoot to try to get it to send two out from the base node this time, or just wait until the replacement shoot has a node and then snip it above that?
>>
>>1064500
Quick reply : if there's still a leaf at the bottom of your branch, on the node where you want a new branch to grow, cut the leaf at the petiole/limb junction. Give the node plenty of light, a bud will grow into a branch.

Snipping affects the way your plant dispatches its hormones. Usually the top bud (apical bud) prevents other buds to emerge (it's called apical dominance). Snipping the top unlocks this possibility for the other buds, but it doesn't ensure that every bud underneath will develop into a new branch.
Then if you want a bud to develop, it should receive light. If there's shade upon one and no light on the one that follows, the first one development will be inhibited compared to the second. You may have to cut big leaves obstructing the light, turn the plant or put it under an artificial light where desired.
Also, it seems to me budding is quite helped if you snip the corresponding leaf on the petiole/limb junction. If there's a young leaf on a node and another node with a snipped leaf, usually a branch will rather grow on the last one.
Always keep at least one leaf at the end of every branch, that will prevent the branch to dry out (in fact, if the bud is big enough you can cut the leaf, depending of the branch diameter. But if you don't know it's easier to just leave an ending leaf)
>>
>>1064540
>cut the leaf at the petiole/limb junction. Give the node plenty of light, a bud will grow into a branch.
Even if there's already a new branch growing out of that node?
>>
>>1062604
Realistically, could you farm at night/evening only? The sun fucks up my meds so I avoid it like a vampire.
>>
>>1064544
If there's a new branch you can let the leaf. Wasn't getting a new branch your original problem?
To be clear, I'm talking about the node where you want a branch to grow, not the terminal one (which usually tends to take dominance again)
>>
>>1064548
>Wasn't getting a new branch your original problem?
My problem is that my reason for topping the pepper sprout was to make it bushier, by causing it to sprout two new branches at the node below the cut. It worked on my other pepper sprouts.
But this specific sprout only grew one new branch.
So I'm wondering if I should cut off the new branch and try again to get two to sprout from the first node, or if I should just cut above the first node on the new branch and have it branch out from there.
>>
>>1064547
Yes.
>>
>>1064559
Ok, I see better. I thought you were talking about underneath growing (so, not the topping node)

I would chose almost your second option : letting the new branch grow, then snip it above its first pair of leaves.
But next, I'd also remove any possible buds there, and snip the other bottom leaf as told before + light (important). That should do the trick, just pinch any new bud on the top branch once you cut above the pair of leaves. That way you keep your original design with two branches at a lower position. Once your desired branch really emerges, you can stop pinching the terminal buds.

Cutting the new branch could give the same result, but it also have good chances to favour the other bud to become dominant. If you cut again on the same place, the amount of scar tissue quickly gets out of hands and the node becomes impossible to work with. (And the huge branch end isn't really aesthetically pleasing). I used to do it from time to time, now I just let grow then back-bud.
>>
>>1064572
>Once your desired branch really emerges, you can stop pinching the terminal buds.
Is there no limit to the number of buds that can emerge from a single node?
>>
>>1062610
>Roundup is only good when crops/lawn is mixed in with weeds and you want to only kill the weeds. Hence the "Roundup Ready" gmos for crops. So, if you need to nuke something and it isn't mixed in with things you don't want to nuke, use vinegar or boiling water.

Professional horticulturist and IPM manager. This guy is fucking retarded don't listen to him. Round-up or any glyphosate will kill indiscrimately, he has this completely wrong. Crops can only be "Round-up ready" if they have been bred with those genes. Nothing else is glyphosate resistant, not even trees (you just need a stronger rate of application, and if you bother to read chemical labels in depth they tell you all of this).

Also, vinegar will not kill the roots, it is not a systemic. IF it does happen to kill them it is because you have so negatively altered the soil pH that the plant can no longer sustain itself. Glyphosate is soil inert and breaks down in about 24 hours in sunlight. Also nearly every chemical (unless it is brand fucking new) can be bought from other chemical companies. Sure, Monsanto has Round-Up, but there is also Ranger Pro and a slew of other trade names which the chemical can be bought from that have nothing to do with Monsanto.
>>
Anon from >>1064598.

Holy hell, this thread triggers me, you people are fucking clueless on so many levels.
>>
>>1064598
>>1064601
Thanks for this, but I doubt the guy will ever return to the real world. When you start mixing real issues with conspiracy theories and broscience, you're pretty much a lost case.
>>
>>1064601
Honestly, I think Autismato from /an/ might be leaking over here.
>>
>>1064601
Too many virtue signaling brainwashed envirotards regurgitating what John Oliver taught them
>>
>>1064601
I guess you missed the fact that "Roundup Ready" is a trademark thing for the GMO crops.

I've been farming for over 40 years and once used GMO crops and Roundup. I probably know better than you will about what works and doesn't work in real life.

>vinegar

No one said it was systemic. If you read it again you'll see there's a distinct difference between "pouring" and "spraying". Pouring is for root kill and spraying is for top kill, a technique already outlined ITT as well as in many past threads for weed control under fences.

Most of your "facts" are just shilling, kid.
>>
File: shill spotted.jpg (26KB, 885x524px) Image search: [Google]
shill spotted.jpg
26KB, 885x524px
>>1064598
>>1064601
>>1064607
>>1064613
>>1064614
see pic
>>1062610

Because you've been spotted, shill.
>>
Any tips on how to pop seeds that just refuse to cooperate? I tried direct planting, soaking in regular and hot water, scarring, wet towels (this somehow never ever works for me) the works.
Is there something I'm missing? I would apreciate any methods that don't involve buying things like additional chemicals/fertilisers and hardware.
Would adding rooting agent to the medium help?
>>
>>1064658
It depends on on what type of seed. Some need different triggers. You are best off googling it. "how to germinated ____ seeds". Everything from temperature to light to acid may be needed.
>>
>>1064658
google the specific seed, some idiot will have already figured it out before you
>>
>>1064575
On small branches there's usually a limit, which is the number of stem-leaves junction, one bud per junction.
On bigger branches you may have a lot of buds depending of the asperities on the cork.
>>
Anyone know sun loving container flowers or herbs that repel whitefly? Bonus points if the flowers are edible. Only got a bit of window space to care for them and I don't have access to neem stuff. I read nasturtium, French marigolds, and thyme could work. Can anyone confirm? Last year I found a bunch of eggs under my calendula and mints. Today I was taking a few stalks from my two month old marjoram for my spaghetti sauce and found whitefly eggs on a few of them. Strangely my rosemary isn't affected.
>>
>>1064864
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandanus_amaryllifolius

Also, goat piss and dung extract could work as pesticide as well
>>
File: ten_thousand_2x.png (91KB, 924x633px) Image search: [Google]
ten_thousand_2x.png
91KB, 924x633px
>>1064877
Oh wow. Pandan. My mum was just telling me she wants that stuff because she likes its fragrance.

I didn't know you could use goat urine and dung extract for that. Don't have access to that too, but learning about it was a neat surprise. Thanks, anon.
>>
>>1064864
>>1064896
You can also use eggplant as a trap plant for whiteflies, if you are not having trouble with tomato plants and whiteflies. Though not all species are attracted to it. I'm not too sure about marigolds since they are so short and tomato plants are so tall (the only plant I have whiteflies on). If you mix them with short plants then they may work for that purpose.
>>
What's the best way to genocide mosquitoes in the garden?
>>
>>1065000
Other than DDT spray?

This thing here>>1064877, although you shouldn't have any stagnant water in the first place
>>
>>1065007
>although you shouldn't have any stagnant water in the first place
I don't. Not that I can see, anyway.
What about buying animals or insects that prey on mosquitoes?
>>
>>1065000

Put up hummingbird feeders. Hummingbirds eat a ton of mosquitoes. You can also grow flowers and plants that will attract dragonflies and damselflies.
>>
>>1065015
My yard currently has a large population of Red and Black Mason Wasps, would I need to worry about them fighting the hummingbirds over the nectar in the feeder?
>>
File: IMG-20170721-WA0028.jpg (68KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20170721-WA0028.jpg
68KB, 1280x720px
My Aloes are developing tumor like bulges, can someone help me out and tell me what it is?
>>
File: 20170721_111131.jpg (2MB, 1501x1953px) Image search: [Google]
20170721_111131.jpg
2MB, 1501x1953px
>>1065017
Another one
>>
>>1065016
If you purchase a feeder, look for one with a good guard screen to keep out insects. If you make a feeder, make sure to get some aluminum/nylon screen to make a guard. Use a toothpick to shove into a few spots in the screen to widen it for the bird beaks. It is the distance between the entrance and the water that makes all the difference. It needs to be longer/thicker than what the insects can reach with their tongues.

So long as the feeder is properly level, not leaking, and has a guard screen there should not be a problem with wasps and bees.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkngoTTacMg

>>1065017
>>1065018
The bottom one kind of reminds me of the start of a flower stalk, but that's really really weird.
>>
I don't have much experience with this but I want to start growing carrots and tomatoes in my mom's backyard. Maybe some mint and basil too.

The only problem is, this "mosquito squad" came by recently and sprayed what I imagine is DDT, and I'm not sure where they sprayed it. Should I wait a couple weeks to let the chemicals disperse?
>>
>>1065063
I'm pretty sure DDT is banned worldwide.
>>
>>1065074
Then it's some other pesticide, my question is are such chemicals damaging to the soil should I start churning the yard?
>>
Started collecting the first blackberries and tomatoes today lads. Feels good senpai.
>>
>>1065097
>blackberries
>barely late July
what zone? in MA blackbreeze don't crown until at least mid august
>>
>>1065063
You should probably contact your local government and ask them directly what it was then look it up and see.

>>1065097
>>1065101
I've been picking about a quart a day for a week or more now and I'm not even picking everything I should be picking. Zone 5
>>
File: 20170721_105142.jpg (5MB, 4656x3492px) Image search: [Google]
20170721_105142.jpg
5MB, 4656x3492px
I just started growing an improved meyer lemon tree and it just got its first buds.

Do I have to remove some if there are too many, if so how many are too many?
>>
>>1065101
I'm in Northern England. Zone 8. We don't normally get them this early but I can't complain.
>>
lawn mower blades only need to be butter knife sharp. I think they meant razor sharp. so sassy so sassy girl/
>>
>>1064272
>And deer proof and raccoon proof
[insert sound of working a bolt action]
>>
File: fgs.jpg (570KB, 2918x1000px) Image search: [Google]
fgs.jpg
570KB, 2918x1000px
Many beppers.
>>
File: IMG_20170721_213552.jpg (938KB, 4640x2610px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170721_213552.jpg
938KB, 4640x2610px
>>1065217
Detail on the Ember, it has an insane amount of flower buds and sideshoots.
>>
File: IMG_20170721_214013.jpg (1MB, 4640x2610px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170721_214013.jpg
1MB, 4640x2610px
>>1065218
And the Bulk jolokia is starting to put out more flowers, I'll try to up the humidity, see if that helps.
>>
Can corn recover from droughts?

Mine is 2ft tall with little sad ears growing at ground level. They've perked up with water but will they get any bigger or give more ears?
>>
>>1065228
When the ears come on they've done all the growing they are going to do.

....mine are 2 feet tall and blooming now.
>>
>>1065135
>meyer lemon tree

If you snip off some blossoms/buds/fruit you will most likely trigger it to bloom yet again. They are nortorious for having 10-15 lemons per branch and drooping to the floor as the fruit get bigger. I wouldn't worry too much about it.
>>
>>1065272
So I should probably support it is some fashion then, it is still a very small tree.
>>
>>1065282
Most likely, but allow it to bend. You don't want to tie up a branch only to have the weight break it at the tie point.
>>
Young leaves on one of my peppers are light/lime green at sunrise-midday and normal colored at sunset-middnight. Other leaves are unaffected. Any idea what the problem could be? Watering schedule doesn't seem to affect it and I doubt temperature/lighting is a problem as I have another pepper in close proximity that doesn't do this.
>>
I wish I had a taller tomato setup. They're growing really well, but getting a bit too large for the supports.

Maybe lurk CL to score a set of monkey bars....
>>
>>1065391
I know your pain, I set up pot plants under cluster of tomatoes so the tomato plants don't fall apart from the sheer weight of them
>>
>>1065335
Seems odd, but not that odd.

>>1065391
That happens all the time for me. I have big tomatoes at head height right now. I have bamboo stakes, but I can only reach so high. It is best to train them sideways once they get 2-3 feet off the ground. Then you have plenty of room and can use additional stakes in a row.

>>1065513
Google "tomato truss supports". Not the ones that look like a caterpillar. I mean the ones that hook higher up on the plant then hook to the truss. Heavy clusters of beefsteak tomatoes or similar large cultivars still bend the truss right at the base when using the caterpillar type support.
>>
File: 11.jpg (31KB, 290x235px) Image search: [Google]
11.jpg
31KB, 290x235px
>>1065530
>Super J Hook Tomato Truss Supports

These things. You can add more than one to a truss if needed.
>>
I'll be moving to a apartment that doesn't see much sun. I study EE but have little experience with plant equipement. I want to grow my own tomatoes. I'm thinking of a box with lights, can anybody give me some pointers?
>>
File: IMG_20170722_085621.jpg (492KB, 912x1600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170722_085621.jpg
492KB, 912x1600px
Mayday! Mayday!
The squirrels have called in reinforcements!

What is doing this to my tomatoes and how do I make them stop?!
>>
>>1064272
>bear proof

Berries and honey are what they usually look for so not really.
>>
File: IMG_0385.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0385.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Happy 100th guys.

So my mint plant has been getting fucked over by every Japanese beetle and slug in a 20 mile radius. I cut off what branches I could and replanted them in a pot and put it on my patio. I seem to have a lot of those shiny fucks in my flower beds and shit. Are they valuble in that would people buy them on ebay? I know some bugs are used as decoration and taxadermic stuff.
>>
File: IMG_20170722_090257.jpg (364KB, 912x1600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170722_090257.jpg
364KB, 912x1600px
>>1065573
And I got these fuckers eating my eggplants! What do HGM?
>>
>>1065584
Is that a slug? Picture is too fuzzy my dude.

Well what I did was I cleared the surrounding area for big rocks, mulch, and leaves so they have no where to hide at night. You could also put some beer traps. They work really well.

Pour a half cup of beer into styrofoam cups and bury them around your patches (space them out <5 feet between). Slugs get attracted to the yeast/fermantation so they'll go and either drown or get killed by the alcohol.

You could also hand pick them in the morning like I do but you'd have to be an early bird.
>>
My neighboor has a huge blackberry bush in his backyard. I might go ask for a couple of his clippings. I'm sure he won't mind since it's kinda blocking the alley.

Is it too late to propigate and replant blackberry clippings? Northern VA btw.

>>1065101
In VA they bloom in May.
>>
>>1065589
It's easiest to do in spring, but my berry bushes are still putting out shoots. Look for something that looks new, nothing with flowers.
>>
>>1065539
Aquaponic is yo solution. Or just buy a planter and put it outside or on the roof

There are LEDs that has optimum UV for gardening and they're used in vertical gardening and container gardening, but ai don't see how you'd be able to afford the entire system
>>
>>1065601
Alright thanks anon
>>
>>1065539
You can use some shitty cheap LED shop lights, just keep them 2 inches from the leaves. Making a reflective box using Mylar will help reflect light, but you'll need air flow inside. For $50-$75 you should be able to get a few LED shop lights and other stuff you need for probably 2 tomato plants.

>>1065573
That's blossom end rot. Have you had lots of rain recently? That will wash out the bio-available calcium from the soil for a short time. The soil will recover as microbes release more, but until then you'd need to water a bit less or cover the ground to prevent heavy rains form making it worse. There's a chance the soil is originally deficient in calcium which you'd need to add some over time.

>>1065584
If that is what >>1065587 says about it being a slug, do all that plus sprinkle about 1/2 inch of sand around the base of the plants about 6 inches radius around the plant. On top of that, sprinkle Diatomaceous Earth. The sand will help keep the Diatomaceous Earth drier longer and faster after rains. Together they help form a barrier that helps prevent slugs and snails from crossing. This will need to be tended to after a hard rain. Make sure no leaves are touching the ground.

>>1065589
It should be fine so long as they root properly. A root is really the best, try looking for a new shoot popping up in the yard where it gets mowed off all the time. Dig that up.
>>
>>1065634
Idk if he'll allow me to dig up his plant for roots lol. I'll ask tho.
>>
>>1065636
Oh, I thought it was close to your property line. It wouldn't hurt to ask, so long as you fill in the hole and re-turf it.
>>
>>1065605
lets consider no roof access fo rnow.
>>1065634
what color?
>>
>>1065335
You sure they aren't lightly colored all around and only look normal without much light/sun?
Is it the entire leaf or do the capillars stay normal/dark green?
Are these two peppers separately potted or in a bed?
>>
>>1065605
Also, I don't have much space. I don't need fish AND tomatoes
>>
>>1065669
Have you considered planting cherry tomato instead?

You could use a planter and any white light will do.
>>
>>1065662
>what color?

For the lights? Shops lights are all white.
>>
File: 1482064022488.png (233KB, 568x590px) Image search: [Google]
1482064022488.png
233KB, 568x590px
>100% failure rate on my shallots

wh-what the fuck it's supposed to be easy
>>
>>1065530
I've love to get some free bamboo, I've seen it before

I have not tried getting them to go sideways, that might be easier though
>>
>>1065814
Find somewhere it's growing and ask the landowner and they will probably say yes. I got enough to make a tiki bar that way
>>
>>1065797

Strange.

I really fucked up with my shallots and only planted them in soil 6 inches deep and had to dig them all up destroying half the roots and plant them into deep pots.

And then we had 50mph winds that knocked all of them down.

But i still had a good harvest.

Your soil was probably to moist or you have been growing alliums in the same patch of soil for too long and have some disease present in the soil.
>>
>>1065825
I think they didn't get enough light desu, fuck this shit i'll try regular onions next year
>>
I am mixing my first compost, mixed half moldy grap/onion and vine leaves w water.
>>
>>1065686
>>1065678
Tomatoes, pepper idk. Any tiny plant. I have a jade plant but they are unkillable so that is not a concern. But for best case scenario, what kind of led should I use and what color? (I study electrical engineering so if there is one thing I understand here are leds)
>>
>>1065893
He ain't no biophysicist
>>
>>1065893
m8 I'm just asking what color of light is best to put on a plant box thingy. I'll probably make a timer thing to turn it on at certain moments. (They need rest no?)
>>
>>1065919
jesus christ man, why so passive agressive?
>>
>>1065921

> if there is one thing I understand here are leds

Why are you so pompous and full of yourself?
>>
>>1065932
sorry if I'll spend 5 years of my life blinking leds m8. I said I understand leds. I can make them blink wink and kink. They are an electric component, You know something I know jack shit about? Tomatoes, and the light frequencies they like and for how much time they need such and such colors. But thanks man, I'm sure I can find the information elsewhere. I'll post progress here if I do anything.
>>
>>1065886
Dude if you've learned engineering you should know that green color will absorb all light in visible spectrum except the ones in green spectrum

White light is a better choice since UV light will kill all the microorganism on the soil. You don't need a high wattage light source since intensity has no effect whatsoever in photosynthesis. You could use a fluorescent lamp but the utility bill is going to fuck you in the ass in the long run. Just get a cheap LED strip and be done with it
>>
>>1065939
A led strip will keep some tomatoes alive? Do they need a period without light? I was thinking light intensity was a thing because of evapotraspiration.
>>
>>1065942
Nope you could switch on the light 24/7. That's how weed grower did. Also, transpiration occurs at day and night (mainly to maintain capillary action). It's just that rate of photosynthesis is greater in the presence of light.
>>
>>1065946
Ok. If I can find cheap nutrient mix, pump, a translucent plastic thing I'll make it hydroponic. if not, I'll just plant them.
>>
>>1065919
>I understand leds
>HURDUR U SO SMART Y U DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT PLANTS
>>
>>1065939
>>1065946
>>1065942
ah forgot to answer about the green light. Yes yes I know that. Some plazas and parks here use it to light trees at night. I was thinking about what light colors are BEST for plants. Like a mix of red and blue leds etc
>>
>>1065957
There are things called grow lights maybe look into those if you get tired of jerking off
>>
File: nice.jpg (48KB, 720x717px) Image search: [Google]
nice.jpg
48KB, 720x717px
>>1065963
you seem bamboozled fren
>>1065949
this is not me
>>
What's the best medium to start pepper seeds in?

I just got some pepper seeds in the mail and i want to start them for an indoor grow space. I have one of those peat pellet trays that I never used, but I was wondering if it would be better to go out and get some potting soil + perlite (or some other combo if anyone has a better suggestion).

It's chinese 5 color pepper seeds if it matters
>>
>>1065970
Potting soil and perlite work very well. Use a tiny pot to begin with if you can, watering is easier that way. Transplant when it has one or two pairs of true leaves
>>
File: IMG_20170415_161341.jpg (2MB, 4640x2610px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170415_161341.jpg
2MB, 4640x2610px
>>1065970
Started mine in potting soil & perlite, they did great. Soaked em in weak camomille tea the night before planting, and I used a heatmat.
>>
>>1065970
Coconut substrate, cleaner and simpler than >>1065973 keeps moisture well. But you need to start to fertilize soonish.
Both methods work nice though.
>>
>>1065886
I went to Sam's Club and bought 4 "LED Shop Light 4 feet long". The kind you....install in your shop or garage or whatever you want a long bright light for working on things.

>2 pack $57.33/$28.67each
https://www.samsclub.com/sams/2pk-led-shoplight-4-ft-led-shoplight/prod20051839.ip

>Ideal for garages, basements, work areas, utility rooms and recreation rooms
>Uses only 40 watts
>4,500 lumen output
>Sturdy aluminum housing
>Energy Star rated

I use them for overwintering peppers and starting plants for spring. The trick is to keep them 2 inches from the leaves at all times.
>>
>>1065973
It seems like the most recommended method so i'll definitely go for that
>>1066054
i've heard of soaking the seeds before and I'll definitely try it. How long did u let them soak? And did you wait for them to dry again afterwards?

Ur seedlings look great btw!
>>1066057
I actually have coco coir in my house already but i use it for my reptiles lol. What fertilizer would you recommend, even if I don't end up going for the coco. I have some miracle gro indoor plant food but i don't mind buying a different kind if there's a better alternative out there
>>
>>1066090
Weird, you bought one designed for humans to see instead of growing plants
>>
>>1066091
>i've heard of soaking the seeds before and I'll definitely try it. How long did u let them soak? And did you wait for them to dry again afterwards?

Make weak camomille tea (use the same bag for making tea twice, drink the first, soak seeds in the second), soak em overnight, and just straight into the ground the next day. Nothing special.

>>1066120
Peppers don't need much when they're overwintering, and neither do starting plants. You need special gear if you want to grow something and get a big harvest using -only- artificial light.
>>
>>1065634
>That's blossom end rot. Have you had lots of rain recently?
No, but we've been watering our potted tomatoes more than our bed tomatoes and the potted tomatoes are the only ones having this problem. I'll water less, thank you!
>>1065634
>If that is what >>1065587 # says about it being a slug
It seems more like a gray ladybug.
>>
>>1066139

>You need special gear if you want to grow something and get a big harvest using -only- artificial light

Didn't you buy special gear for seeing?
>>
>>1066091
You wont need anything fancy, but at sone point all soils will be lacking what your plants need.
Nothing fancy, just normal vegetable fertilizer. Basically the same stuff you give to tomatoes, cucumbers, etc.
I would say mine do okay with that routine >>1061434 . Started fertilizing when they where around two months. Start sparingly and up to recommended amount when they have been transplanted into their final pot/bed.
>>
>>1066139
>>1066120
Peppers needs lots of light when overwintering when they are producing fruit; which mine do.

You can use ANY light you don't need a grow light. That is a gearfag myth. The only difference is the distance from the leaf to the light. It must be CLOSE. 2 inches.
>>
>>1066139
>starts don't need lots of light

lol they need tons of light or you end up with super tall spindly plants.
>>
EE guy here. This is what I was looking for. Jesus fuck people you could have just said "use pink light"
>>
>>1066345
Obsessing over lighting when the cheapest light works is autistic.
>>
File: IMG-20170723-WA0000.jpg (660KB, 2240x3968px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20170723-WA0000.jpg
660KB, 2240x3968px
This means war!
>>
>>1066334
Well yes, but not those special multicolor 420growlights. I just used 2 fluorescent bulbs for 14 starts.

>>1066333
>Peppers needs lots of light when overwintering when they are producing fruit; which mine do.
Didn't know that, thanks.

>>1066199
>Didn't you buy special gear for seeing?
What?
>>
>>1066359
>Well yes, but not those special multicolor 420growlights. I just used 2 fluorescent bulbs for 14 starts.

I have fluorescent and LED shop lights I use. The LED ones do better it seems. They are also a lot cheaper to run and don't heat up the house. The leaves can grow into them and not get scorched.
>>
File: IMG_20170429_150038.jpg (1MB, 2610x4640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170429_150038.jpg
1MB, 2610x4640px
>>1066368
I'm not saying led is bad, just that you don't -need- anything fancy to get good results.
I didn't have the room or time to build a proper rig (first time growing and I started a bit late so I wanted to get them going asap), and these standard bright white cfl's did a hell of a job.
>>
>>1065957
>blue led

Kek good luck
>>
>>1066372
why?
>>
File: index.jpg (12KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
12KB, 300x168px
thinking about getting seeds for either Tennessee Sweet Potato or Green Striped Cushaw, which one would you recommend?
>>
My chayote squash vine is taller than I ever imagined it would be, 12 feet and still climbing. The end is above the trellis now, just kind of leaning against the house.
Would it be best to fold it downwards back onto the trellis, or just sever the growing end?

Or I guess I could see if it can manage to climb the house and just buy some kind of long grabber to harvest from the top.
>>
>>1066369
> just that you don't -need- anything fancy to get good results.

I'm saying the same thing. Shop lights are the cheapest lights you can get that have the most coverage for plants. I have toughs made that are as long as the lights for starts. For tall plants, the lights are stood on end in Tee-Pee fashion.
>>
File: Garden_131.jpg (153KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Garden_131.jpg
153KB, 800x600px
SUNDAY UPDATE: No camera edition.

I need to replace my old camera (RIP after nearly 60k photos.) You get a 7-year old photo of the lower garden instead.

ā€¢I'm currently neck deep in tomato harvest. I'm getting 30-60lbs of produce every 3rd day now (depending on weather it seems.) The pumpkin hill is showing signs of squash bug damage more and more now. I most likely need to do some leaf trimming ear the center of the hill. Hopefully, the harvest will go well. If it does, I'll have enough canned pumpkin to skip a couple years for pumpkin planting which will seriously interrupt the pest cycle.

ā€¢The garden of clay is already winding down for most of the crops. However, it has most of the tomato plant cuttings which are just now starting to ripen with fruit. It is really nice having 3 sets of tomato plants. Just as one set starts to get too tall and a bit old the next set starts producing.

ā€¢Succession/successive planting is a strategy I use to get around rainy season problems. However, this year it seems the rainy season just hasn't stopped at all. At least it is nice and hot which helps dry most things out before mold and rot sets in. I'm still waiting for a dry day so I can dig up the rest of the purple potatoes and replant them in the main garden.

ā€¢I've lost most of the garden paths to vines now. Pumpkin Hill has flooded over into the main garden and lower garden. Watering with a hose is a pain since It is difficult to keep the hose from crushing vines. I hang it on the fence now. I've started saving seeds from tomatoes, catnip, and watermelon. I need to let some yellow crookneck squash go to seed before the plants die.
>>
File: 88083264.png (694KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
88083264.png
694KB, 600x600px
>>1062604
#100 ??

a-w-e-s-o-m-e
>I never read one
>>
>>1066424
Congratulations you nigger rigged an inferior setup at a higher cost compared to grow lights
>>
>>1066448
Haha.
>>
>>1066448
>>1066449
Only it cost a lot less and covers more plants. I have 32 square feet of indoor growing space on a single shelving unit. That's 16 to 32 overwintered peppers (depends on how you trim them) or 648 two-month-old starts.
>>
>>1066525
n-n-nazi?
>>
>>1065579
They won't go after peppers, onions, potatoes, tomatoes? I'd like to grow some berries but if it's too risky I'll give those up or get a hot wire for around the yard.
>>
>>1066427
Would you mind posting/making a map or layout of your current garden?
>>
>>1066525
You need to remember where you are, this is reddit.
>>
File: IMG_20170723_153347320.jpg (4MB, 2268x4032px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170723_153347320.jpg
4MB, 2268x4032px
HELP
>>
File: IMG_20170723_153411220.jpg (3MB, 2268x4032px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170723_153411220.jpg
3MB, 2268x4032px
>>1066585
Avocado.
>>
>>1066585
Did you just recently put it outside?
>>
>>1066585
>>1066586
The new leaves look fine, so I agree with >>1066588 that it's probably just sunburn (or lower humidity). Nothing to worry about, except that the old leaves will forever be brown.
>>
>>1066588
>>1066601

nope, been out for at lest a year
it's winter down here and it has been pretty cold.
been told it could also be salt buildup.
>>
File: DSCN2981a.jpg (183KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN2981a.jpg
183KB, 1024x768px
>>1066550
Which one? Clay Garden, Main Garden, or Lower Garden? There are more, but I don't post those.
>>
>>1066585
>>1066586
Sunburn is normally splotchy and doesn't form at the edges in that patter. That is more like lack of watering or root burn from too much fertilizer/salts building up in the soil. Cold weather normally zaps an entire leaf all at once and makes it drop.
>>
>>1066656

How do I fix salt build-up.
>>
>>1066652
A general layout? The whole arrangement.
>>
>>1066658
Flush it out. Put the pot somewhere a bit elevated so the water can drain properly, and pour a load of water through it.
It does have a hole(s) in the bottom I hope?
>>
File: Raised Beds 05b.jpg (235KB, 1920x1628px) Image search: [Google]
Raised Beds 05b.jpg
235KB, 1920x1628px
>>1066658
Flush the soil with lots of water to dissolve and dilute the salts. You can also transplant and use unaffected soil.

>>1066673
This is all I've done. Some of the placements are generalized or were moved later and there's a ton added to it now. This is the main garden, the one with the gravel paths.
>>
>>1066658
Another thing that can help accelerate the process without using as much water and torturing the roots even more is a surfactant like yucca extract, you might be able to find some at the local nursery.
>>
>>1066658

See >>1064439

Where do you live? Unless you live in hot, dry area the only reason for salt buildup is over fertilizing the land
>>
File: 3 Weeks Difference.jpg (634KB, 1488x992px) Image search: [Google]
3 Weeks Difference.jpg
634KB, 1488x992px
Another take on my potted ones. I really hate the soil, dries into a block way too easy, lacks pretty much everything and I have to supply more and more.
Still happy with them for the most part.
Also the grass is recovering, yay.

>>1065217
Absolutely gorgeous.
>>1065218
Impressive.
>>1065220
Still jelly.
>>
File: Tomatoes and Cucumbers.jpg (864KB, 1488x1984px) Image search: [Google]
Tomatoes and Cucumbers.jpg
864KB, 1488x1984px
>>1066716
Made tomato salad today for two. From a single tomato....

Also cucumbers. And there were worries 5 meager plants wouldn't be enough.
>>
File: Habanero Hive.jpg (1MB, 4561x728px) Image search: [Google]
Habanero Hive.jpg
1MB, 4561x728px
>>1066719
They overgrew their planter weeks ago, since then they only go upwards, and into each other, this used to be 5 different plants, now they are more or less one bush with 5 different peppers.
>>
File: Into the Hive.jpg (307KB, 1734x742px) Image search: [Google]
Into the Hive.jpg
307KB, 1734x742px
>>1066723
Inside shot, with some early Habaneros appearing.
Had some casualties already though. Stupid birds.
>>
>>1066716
And I'm still jelly @ your setup and space, and you have marvellous plants too!
>>
File: Grow Well, Little Berry.jpg (231KB, 744x992px) Image search: [Google]
Grow Well, Little Berry.jpg
231KB, 744x992px
>>1066727
Another attempt on Cranberries, I still have no idea why my old plants died.
Trying something new here, they like acidic soil and I found some Rhododendron soil that almost had the perfect ph-value, I added some compost soil and coconut substrate in a 2:1:1 ratio. Acidic, drains well and still keeps moist. Let's see how that goes.
>>
>>1066735
And the bed. They keep going and going.
Little side note: My biggest Jalapeno was accidentially topped by a hailstorm, so weather snibbing works too.

>>1066729
Thanks.
>>
>>1066729
Addition: A "stairway" setup like in >>1066716 is easy to make and takes remarkably little space, so it could work for a balcony too.
>>
>>1066743
That won't fit in my current greenhouse. But I'm already eyeballing a bigger one, I'm glad my bro roommate has no interest in outside stuff at all, so I can do pretty much what I want as long as I don't make too much of a mess.
>>
I don't know if the fake snakes I put out last week had anything to do with it, but I finally saw a real snake among the tamaters. Been hoping some would show up this year.
>>
File: DSC_0262.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0262.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>1066744
Well you could fit one into your greenhouse or build one together with the stairs.
Pic related, I rigged something (not a real greenhouse though) last year because of heavy rains and hailstorms. But you could easily add frames to the sides and properly fit either a transparent tarp to it or actual panes even.
>>
File: Untitled.png (164KB, 500x488px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
164KB, 500x488px
do these cheap-ass shits actually measure anything
>>
>>1066765
They don't. Use the liquid ones instead and take multiple tests. You can try some DIY soil tests too.
>>
>>1066766
>You can try some DIY soil tests too.
i'm listening
I'm more worried about moisture level
>>
File: IMAG0450.jpg (1MB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0450.jpg
1MB, 1836x3264px
Is this normal? My avocado tree is about six months old. The roots seems to be growing, but this waxy ball on top hasnt changed.
>>
any lighting recommendations for an indoor setup?
can't get good sunlight so I'm looking for alternatives.
>>
>>1066768
>Is this normal?

I'm no expert, but I'm going to go with "no"
>>
>>1066767
>moisture level

Stick your finger in the soil all the way. If it is dry, add water. If it is wet, don't water. Anything in between is just a timer. You'll learn how long it will be until the next watering if you do this often.

For everything else, google it. There's many different things you can do. Just keep in mind that pH levels and fertilizer/nutrient levels can change radically just inches between sample spots. That usually occurs in soils that have clusters of organic matter or fertilizer pellets that have dissolved.

>>1066770
Look further up the thread about lighting for indoors stuff.

>>1066768
Dat is some, "h'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn," shit right thar.
>>
>>1066768
http://www.avocadosource.com/CAS_Yearbooks/CAS_40_1956/CAS_1956_PG_156-164.pdf

It might recover.
>>
>>1066768
It's full of bugs.
Kill it with fire.
Quickly.
>>
What indeterminate Heirloom Tomatoes would grow best in a pot over the winter months?
>>
>>1062604
Its almost tomato season here in Australia, Going to try mortgage busters. Any tips for an amateur?
My winter citrus went crazy due to a warm winter and plenty of rain.
>>
Im going crazy waiting for these potatoes to be ready to harvest
>>
>>1066973
Jelly. I don't have space for them, but I'd like to grow some. I love eating potatoes. What variety did you plant and what sort of dish are you planning for them once they're harvested?
>>
File: 20170722_194642.jpg (950KB, 1903x1271px) Image search: [Google]
20170722_194642.jpg
950KB, 1903x1271px
Just noticed that my gourd plant seems to have suffered a bit of an injury over the past day or so. On the left is the vine in question on the 22nd, on the right is the plant tonight on the 24th. Seems pretty obvious that the main vine has been pinched (red circle) which has resulted in droopy leaves. Anybody know whether or not I should cut off the affected section, or if I should just leave it as is?
>>
>>1066948
>overwintering indeterminate tomato plants

They get extremely long. I'm talking 25 feet in a year if they are growing well. You'd probably have 10 feet by winter and another 8 feet after winter. You need a greenhouse and lots of space for that. Keep in mind that only a small section will actually have leaves. Maybe you can slowly coil the vine around in a circle so it stacks on itself and doesn't take up nearly as much space.

Regardless, any variety works.

>>1066953
You'll need to use a shade cloth for part of the season on tomatoes.

>>1066973
ikr I'm waiting for the 2-week period after the tops die right now. They've been dead for nearly two weeks. Soon!

>>1066990
With that amount of damage in that section, you should just cut it there. It will send out better side shoots from the rest of the vine. Also, you need to tie the plant to your wire. The slightest wind can cause that type of damage when using those types of supports. Also, the plant seems to be showing signs of overwatering. Does the pot drain well?
>>
>>1067018
Gourd vine guy here. The pot used to drain pretty well up until recently. Not sure why the soil is retaining water so well lately considering there hasn't been much rain in my area and it's usually fairly hot and sunny down here. I'll be watering it less from now on. I've also tied the main vine down to the support beams like you said. Thanks for the help m8.
>>
>>1066768
What the absolute fuck, that is one crazy seedling.
>>
Guys, I'm new to that stuff and was thinking of start by planting some Blueberries, is it easy? Should I start with something else?
>>
>>1067041
You know what you want to start with and instead of looking up resources on your own you ask to be spoonfed. There's nothing here that you will be told about starting blueberries that you can't find within 15 seconds on Google.
>>
>>1067041
potatoes tomatoes and zucchinis are the easiest I'd say
>>
I've cleared land for my sweet berries to be planted in, but soil tests indicate that the soil is sandy loam at a pH of 6.
I'm thinking of adding mushroom compost to amend the soil and fix its structure, possibly charcoal also but am not sure on that yet.
The hope with the mushroom compost is that it'll add mycorrhizal fungi to the soil or at least encourage its presence while adding much-needed organic matter.
Am I on the right track here lads?
>>
File: Too Much Zucchini.jpg (63KB, 1023x739px) Image search: [Google]
Too Much Zucchini.jpg
63KB, 1023x739px
>>1067041
Bushes like blueberries are super easy. If you live in the USA, get "Patriot" cultivar if you can find it. It has big berries and produces earlier in the year. If you couple that with a smaller berry later season cultivar you can have blueberries a lot of the time in summer.

The main concerns are soil pH, nutrients, and bird netting. If you don't have bird netting you may as well not plant them. Keep the netting off the bushes far enough so hungry beaks can't reach in. The nice part about bushes is that you can propagate them easily using cuttings when you shape them.

>>1067062
>tfw another zucchini plant succumbed to rain death today

2 down, 2 to go. The nightmare is half over.
>>
>>1067095
Yes, that sounds good on all points. Since it is "sandy loam" that should mean it is nearly "loam" so the addition of the compost will bring it into the "loam" zone quickly. You may want to make a few pots of different proportions so you can see specifically how much compost you'll need to mix in. What you don't use, put it into a pile and add it next season.
>>
>>1066543
Potatos? They're underground anon.
Everything else it really doesn't matter but I'd put protection around it just incase.
Get a gun too.
>>
File: IMG_0537.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0537.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
So I have these daisies by my house that grow next to it because the last home owners planted them before they left.

Which seed pod is ready to be picked if i want the seeds because I only see few of the left and a lot of the right when they're brown in the patch?
>>
>>1067110
When they are brown it means there's no more growth or maturity needed. Pick them at that time. Make sure they are completely dried out before storage, if you are not replanting immediately.
>>
>>1067110
Oh damn it flipped.
Left = bottom
Right = top
>>
File: 1293065_1396366386757.png (269KB, 700x524px) Image search: [Google]
1293065_1396366386757.png
269KB, 700x524px
>>1067098
as far as proportions go, it's roughly 20% clay and 80% sand overall from the average of tests and to amend the first 40 cm of soil depth I'll need .4 cubic metres of compost and that'll bring the soil into clay loam/loam soil type.

The next issue is the soil pH and nutrient deficiencies, it's been sheltered from water for many years and covered with concrete paving slabs.
Will the organic matter and some pelleted chicken manure solve the worst of the deficiencies or will I need to add other amendments to be on the safe side?

I figure that adding the organic matter will bring the soil pH down but I'm aiming for a solid 5.5 if I can get it, as it'll allow me to grow just about any berries I want, including some cultivars of blueberry.
Again, is this strategy gonna net me some sweet, sweet berries or a barren mess of a dirt farm?
>>
>>1067126
Good loam is 1/3 clay, 1/3 sand, and 1/3 organic/compost. The compost will take care of the fertilizer problem. Later on you can add compost tea/manure when you need fertilizer. Everything you've listed to amend it with seems just fine. Adjusting pH takes time to do it correctly. Take measurements 2 times a year and correct once a year if needed. Compost tea/manure tea will help adjust the pH anyway.
>>
File: 20170724_184402.jpg (386KB, 562x1000px) Image search: [Google]
20170724_184402.jpg
386KB, 562x1000px
Help identify plant please!
>>
>>1067179
Looks like a red Fittonia verschaffeltii
>>
How do you get rid of kale caterpillars?

Another plant that attracts wasps or caterpillar killers?
>>
>>1067108
Bears can dig anon
>>
>>1067043
Wow, you're rude!

>>1067096
Good infos, thanks!
>>
>>1067118
Thank you kindly anon.

How would I go about drying them out? Just put them in the sun or something? Wouldn't the birds get to them?
>>
>>1067203
>red Fittonia verschaffeltii
Thank you, kind sir or madam!
>>
>>1067246
Keep them out of direct sunlight. Put them in a cool dry area that has a breeze. Cage them if you must.

>>1067226
Hand pick them.
Attract wasps.
Spray Bacillus thuringiensis (Bt).
Cover with insect cloth before the season starts.

If you are hand picking, hose off all the frass. Then the following day you can look for new frass and better find the caterpillar(s) just above that location.
>>
>>1067257
Thank you, human. What do you know about yellow blotches on broccoli leaves? They turn orange-ish then brown further out and spread steadily. Too much compost, water, tight soil? ...is all I can gather. They are 8 hrs+ sunlight as well if that helps in 5A.
>>
>>1067307
Alternaria alternata. A fungi. Too much water probably. Raining lots this year?
>>
>>1067320
Not dark brown, mostly pale yellow but probably still it.
I'm watering too much I think. I'll water at the base from now on, too.
>>
http://www.seedsavers.org/category/tomato

What should I grow? I'm thinking about doing kellogg's breakfast.
>>
>>1067358
>kellogg

The anti-masturbation guy? I had a golden tomato cultivar long ago. It was okay. Good for slicing.
>>
File: UsUdb.png (6KB, 75x75px) Image search: [Google]
UsUdb.png
6KB, 75x75px
>>1065583
They're pretty tasty
>>
>>1067174
Thanks for the advice anon, I can make pH adjusted fertiliser with dilute urine and ash and that might help bring it down if used carefully.
>>
File: RipPepper.jpg (108KB, 1600x960px) Image search: [Google]
RipPepper.jpg
108KB, 1600x960px
The dead have been covered with lime...
For the dead know only one thing...
>>
File: PepperJul25.jpg (144KB, 960x1600px) Image search: [Google]
PepperJul25.jpg
144KB, 960x1600px
>>1067660
That it is better to be alive.
>>
File: P1020532.png (4MB, 1832x864px) Image search: [Google]
P1020532.png
4MB, 1832x864px
Hey laddies,
have a look at my patch!
Left:
>"Bean forest"
The beans are getting big and flowering at about 1.1 metres but there aren't really any bees to pollinate as it's too cold and windy, hopefully the weather will warm up a bit and fix that soon.
The cabbages at the foot of the beans have done really well despite the moth attacks, the extra nitrogen from the beans seems to have helped but mycorrhizal fungi would likely help them to be more consistent in sizing.
The cauliflower is again very insconsistent with some heading really well and some coming in late or barely there at all. One of the cauliflowers is getting a loose head and will probably go to seed so I'll put it in a pot when the harvest comes and get some seeds for next year.
Overall things look good.

Right:
>"You have the right to remain snibbed"
cut my chilli, capsicum and eggplant down to the ground for the rest of the winter and gave them a good hit of dynamic lifter.
The chilli variety is orange wonder and they're not a bad variety all round, the capsicum is a really sweet mini variety that gets a lot of fruit and the eggplant needs to be moved as it doesn't get enough sun and didn't take to fruit this year at all.
>>
>>1067660
>>1067661
What happened?
>>
File: tayne_flargenstow.gif (119KB, 196x231px) Image search: [Google]
tayne_flargenstow.gif
119KB, 196x231px
>>1065573
>>1065584
>>1065587
>>1065634
I think those little gray bastards on my eggplants are Colorado Potato Beetle Larvae. Looks like I'll need a garrison of Ladybug troops to deal with them, and then I'll have to turn over the garden soil after harvest to keep them from coming back.

Can anyone confirm or deny my findings, or have other tips for dealing with these little pricks?
>>
>>1067834
What's going on?
>>
File: New Thread.jpg (65KB, 526x350px) Image search: [Google]
New Thread.jpg
65KB, 526x350px
NEW THREAD: >>1067867
Thread posts: 312
Thread images: 74

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.