[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This will be my first time hiking and I am leaving next friday.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 13

This will be my first time hiking and I am leaving next friday. Today I finally had all my shit together and am trying to pack my back for the first time.

Long story short, I can't seem to get the weight right and it keeps leaning to one direction. It might very well be my fault for not packing it well enough. Anyway, I decided to make it a little bit easier on me by putting my tent and sleeping mat on the bottom of the bag.

However, this is what I found.

(sticks are for illustration)

I feel like this is a sign the bag isn't up to par and maybe I shouldn't use it at all?

> Snugpak Endurance
>>
>>1046408
>my tent and sleeping mat on the bottom of the bag
perfectly fine place
>I feel like this is a sign the bag isn't up to par and maybe I shouldn't use it at all
use it for a season or two, learn what you like, don't like, and wish it had, then buy a better pack when you can make an informed decision.
>>
>>1046417
Thanks for the reply, good to know the bottom is a good place. Confirmed what I hoped.

Anyway, did you see the picture? I am worried about the straps. They don't line up at all.
>>
ah, i see what you're concerned about. i suggest unloading the pack, adjusting the shoulder straps to the same length, then hanging them over a level closet rod or something to see if they're asymetrical, too. crooked gear straps you can work around. crooked shoulder straps will fuck you up.
>>
OP here.

I think I just figured out the problem. The whole bottom is sown in wrong.
>>
>>1046423
nobodys straps line up anon lol
dont worry about it, you're not gonna die
you gotta use this loadout first
you can think about it all day, but you're just not gonna know till you get out in the field (or woods )

Anyway, weight imbalance is a serious issue and can fuck up your back in the longterm. Put shelter or sleep bag/quilt on other side to try and counter that weight. There's a lot of ways to do it but you need to unpack and repack it.

Also, tip, since your first time packing. Some people like to stack their gear on top of each other in their pack - this is fine and all, but what's really good is setting it up so everything is side by side. That way you dont have to dig through your food to get to clothes, or vice versa, you can reach and grab specific items.

Also - You're probably carrying too much. Reduce redundancies. Post a gear list, we can help.
>>
>>1046430
Thank you so much for your reply.

I assume you started typing for before I posted my picture. Can you please take a look at:
>>1046429

It seems like the whole bottom assembly isn't sown it right.
>>
>>1046435
Sewn right enough brother. Nothing you can do about it now, you got woods to get to.

How about that gear list? That's your first priority when packing.
>>
File: baltoro.jpg (27KB, 333x440px) Image search: [Google]
baltoro.jpg
27KB, 333x440px
>>1046430
>nobodys straps line up anon lol
mine do. but then i have a proper backpack from a reputable company, so that's a factor.

>>1046429
>>1046435
a) it's "sewn"
b) how does it look empty? poor packing can play a big factor in apparent alignment.
>>
File: fuckme.png (1MB, 1257x487px) Image search: [Google]
fuckme.png
1MB, 1257x487px
I'm fucked.
>>
>>1046438
Thanks, always trying to improve my English.

>>1046437
I'm really not sure about "right enough". Walking with this back for 50 days might permanently fuck up my back.
>>
>>1046408
>first time hiking
>>1046441
>50 days
lolwut
>>
About an inch of difference.
>>
>>1046443
Better image.

>>1046442
Yep
>>
>>1046446
lol, good luck. and for 50 days i'd definitely get a better pack.
>>
>>1046441
>>1046442
this
>>1046446
you must be fucking crazy to do 50 day hike as a first timer
that is not how you enjoy nature, that's masochism.
I meant that pack would be fine for a 3 day. for a 50 day this is terrible. where the fuck are you hiking? Who will be with you? Need to know your gear.

Anon dont fucking kill yourself until we say so
>>
>>1046453
seriously you are better off using a goddamn bindle than this for a 50 day
you can do the entire AT in 50 days
Exactly where the fuck are you going for a 50 day hike, and where the fuck is it that a complete beginner can do?

You cant be serious, you must be trolling us.
>>
>>1046453
>>1046455
real question is is anon going to swallow his pride and go home after the second night, or is he going to spend 48 days barricaded in a hotel and tell everyone how bummed he is that his camera broke on the second day out?
>>
File: labels.jpg (408KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
labels.jpg
408KB, 1600x1200px
>>1046453
>>1046455
Calm your tits lads. I like nature, I like being alone. I have two trails planned in Scotland:
- Soutern Upland Way (220m)
- Great Glen Way (180m)

Only 400 miles, and I have 50 days. I'm going to take it easy, walk a bit.. rest, chill. Have some tea.. jog a bit around camp. Swim in lakes, catch some trout.

>>1046457
That's a very bitch made way of thinking.

-

Anyway, this is my load out thus far. Still missing some shit.

> please don't give me shit on my Robens grill, its worth every pound (passing through small towns every other day, defo buying my some scotish meat)
>>
>>1046458
kek. i changed my mind: 1 night.
>>
>>1046460
Don't judge my on my meme gear.

Anyway, the backpack is definetly shit. Buying a replacement tomorrow.
>>
>>1046460
Do you care to elaborate? Obviously OP isn't experienced but his gear isn't bad at all for a first timer.

I mean atleast he didn't buy one of those self inflatable sleeping mats.
>>
Op tell haters to fuck off, /out/ believes in you. Go ahead and show this cunts that you have it inside yourself. Godspeed my /out/ist friendo.
>>
>>1046493
Thanks buddy. God bless.
>>
>>1046460
OP here

So.. can you tell me why you feel that way?
>>
>>1046508
Because he is either a snob that never actually leaves his home or he's expressing his insecurities and projecting them towards you.
>>
>>1046508
lack of experience and lack of knowledge about your gear. both those can be overcome with confident decision making, but the fact that you needed to come here for validation with such a simple decision tells me everything i need to know about that.

>>1046510
>realistic attitude about anon's chances
>hurrdurr snob insecure blahblahblah
he's not going to suck your dick for that, you little white knight faggot
>>
>>1046537
> lack of knowledge about your gear
> came here for validation
Actually, I simply came here to get opinions about my bag that looks weird. You know, some would say that is a very good way to make decisions.

Honestly, you seem like an attention whore. Please just fuck off and stop ruining this thread. Maybe go /out/ yourself for a bit, like me.
>>
you guys are gonna get OP killed offering him such encouragement when clearly he is in over his head lol
>>
Anyway, ignoring the insult-but-no-feedback-posters, does anybody want to weigh in on my backpack?

I am pretty sure it's assembled wrong and I have to replace it.
>>
>>1046543
>t. someones who thinks that you need some special training to go /out/
Seriously, /out/ is a bunch slack jawed faggots and gets worse by the day.
>>
>>1046543
In this thread:
> op is going to kill himself by walking 8 miles a day on a trail that passes through a town every 3 days

This simply proves what everybody already knew, less than 20% of /out/ gets /out/.
>>
>>1046547
>>1046548
I just saw the part about hiking for 50 days, i have no idea where these places in yurop are. I assumed he was going to be in the woods for 50 days but if hes just walking from city to city or something then his biggest problem will be finding a chiropractor
>>
>>1046543
You know why you see such 'LARP'y posts on /out/ and on every board? Because the posters are kids. If you don't let the kids go out to play, then they get mad and in 2 days make another thread about their romantic ideas.
It seems like he has enough gear at least to get back home when he learns his lesson, so I say let him go.
>>
>>1046541
>asking the opinion of the asshole of the internet is good decision making
kek. also
>i'm going to make preposterous claims about backpacking for 50 days with no idea what i'm doing
>b-but you're the attention whore
go ahead anon, prove me wrong. and if you need new gear it's not like you'll ever be an insurmountable distance from civilization.
>>
>>1046565
This thread is about my backpack problems. Fuck off with your low effort bullshit.
>>
>>1046408
>>1046429
>>1046440
>>1046446
>>1046544
I can see how this would look pretty minor to a casual observer, but if you can feel it in the comfort of the pack, despite packing your load evenly, then it may be an indication that you have a cheap backpack that is not really intended to be used seriously. There are a lot of companies run by profit-hungry CEOs who outsource everything to China and have no real regard for the longevity of their company or the quality of their gear. All they care about are quarterly earnings. Next time someone on /out/ tries to tell you that cheap shit gear is "just as good" as more expensive gear, show them this.

IMO, you shouldn't do serious hiking in that backpack, not just for the comfort and balance aspect, but also because God knows what other problems it has which you will only find out about on your 4th day on the trail.

>>1046458
>>1046441
>50 days
Where the fuck is your food?
>>
>>1046576
get a new one and stop worrying about it
>>
>>1046592
hes going to fish up trout for food :^)
>>
>>1046592
Thanks for the quality reply. I completely understand what you are trying to say. The weird thing about this backpack is that it's a Snugpak Endurance. It's a very high quality brand that makes everything in England.

I am sure their backpacks are fine but mine obviously hasn't been assembled correctly. And like you said, there might be alot more things wrong with it.

I am definetly sending mine back to England to get it refunded. Now I just have to find a new backpack with a decent amount of MOLLE attachments.

-

The first trail runs through towns every other day so I'll be stocking up on the trail. I'm even bringing a grill because I can buy frozen meat and grill it later that day. Looking forward to that.

The second trail passes through a couple of towns but has longer periods without towns (5 days). I have a drybag that I will use to stock up. I'll attach it to the outside of my bag, that should be fine.

Any other feedback will be greatly appreciated.
>>
>>1046602
> there is something wrong with eating fresh fish
> youd rather buy it from walmart
>>
>>1046609
was more along the line of...
>he thinks he is going to be able to reliably catch fish whenever he needs it
moreover; he has no fishing rod so he's probably been watching that show Alone and thinks all you need to do is throw out a hook on a length of line and you'll catch fish
>>
>>1046616
>he has no fishing rod
I do, I said the image didn't include everything.
>he's probably been watching that show Alone
Only know it from /out/. Assumption.
>thinks all you need to do is throw out a hook on a length of line and you'll catch fish
Assumtion.

Maybe, just maybe.. you are the problem.
>>
>>1046608
>It's a very high quality brand that makes everything in England.
If it's a high quality company, then they should have a high quality warranty.

I'm vaguely aware of how backpacking is done in Europe, where the trail conveniently brings you into towns every couple of days. In America, we really need to plan to have a friend meet us along the trail to reload our food every 7-10 days, or we stash it in a tree along the way, or we need to leave the trail for maybe all day to hitchhike into towns to resupply. I'm used to carrying a lot more food at any given time than I can see in your photo. Even if you'll be going into towns, it might be a good thing to have a full extra day's worth of food with you at all times in case you get delayed along your way.

I agree to a degree with the autism of the other person posting. Planning to rely on fishing for your main food source isn't a good plan if you intend to hike any kind of serious distance, but then again, you don't seem like you'll be going very far each day, so maybe it's not a big deal.
>>
>>1046608
>very high quality brand that makes everything in England
>the only backpack ever made that leaks oil
>>
>>1046640
>leaving critical gear out of the pic
when you say
>i didn't include everything
that usually means shit like bug spray. but keep piling on the evidence that you're a fucking moron destined for failure.
>>
>>1046654
pls do not bully :(
>>
>>1046654
You are attacking a person that is doing something with his life with bullshit arguments. Come on now son.
>>
>>1046658
>making imaginary plans on 4chan is doing something with your life
>>
>>1046663
low quality bait
>>
>>1046665
>pointing out the obvious is bait
maybe there's a kinder, gentler forum out there that would be more appropriate for you
>>
>>1046644
Thanks for the tips, the dried food is in case I run out, yeah. I'm definetly spending some nights somewhere on a river bank, enjoying the scenery and fishing so I'll need to stock up.

I don't know why people think I am going to live of fishing trout? I never implied that, just said I am also going to fish a bit.

Btw, I can't imagine their warranty doesn't cover something as obvious as this. They obviously stitched it together wrong.

>>1046658
Just let him be, ignore it.
>>
>>1046667
Yes, OP is obviously only planning. Nothing more. Just planning.
>>
File: thumbs up.jpg (39KB, 428x288px) Image search: [Google]
thumbs up.jpg
39KB, 428x288px
>>1046668
>Just let him be, ignore it.
it's okay, i'm done here, except for one more thing: i truly, 100% hope i'm wrong. i hope 2 months from now i open up /out/ and you've dumped 100 pics of oc about your awesome trip. i will happily eat that crow with the biggest fork i can find. get out there, and prove i'm just a fuckin dick who doesn't know what you can accomplish.
>>
>>1046729
>prove i'm just a fuckin dick
Nobody has to prove that. Lol.
>>
>>1046729
you're not the dick, everyone else telling him to go for it is.
>>
Good luck OP, I believe in you.
>>
>>1046544
Are you going to replace it with the same model and be surprised that it's still shit?
>>
Over/under is 2 nights
>>
>>1046978
No, went for a "HEIMPLANET Monolith Rucksack". Looked very decent.
>>
>>1047059
>MOLLE everywhere
>literally who: the brand
It's shit
>>
>>1047099
3 strips on the midsection is fine it has some uses

though that design for $ 290 seem like shit value and its heavy too. dont get what special / good on it

even a deuter as expensive brand is like 170 for the "FUTURA PRO 44 EL"
>>
>>1047106
Thing is, I need additional space for a waterbottle etc so I need MOLLE pouches for that.
>>
File: water bottle pocket.jpg (455KB, 686x943px) Image search: [Google]
water bottle pocket.jpg
455KB, 686x943px
>>1047118
Most backpacking packs have water bottle pockets that are accessible without taking the pack off, and have other secondary pockets that preclude the need for strapping extra shit to your pack.
>>
>>1047106
>FUTURA PRO 44 EL
It's almost just as heavy tho.
>>
>>1047106
Is deuter considered expensive?

I bought a cycling bag from them a few years ago and it served me well on 7 day cycling trip. Still in perfect condition to this day. I think it was about 80cdn.

Great bags in my opinion. Would definitely buy again.
>>
This guy is going to die.
50 days with shit gear, zero experience, and relying on fishing to eat.
Does dumbfuck even know how to fish and preserve fish?
Does he know how difficult it is to follow a river? There usually arent trails directly alongside rivers, not anymore. And then reliably catching enough fish, quickly enough, to eat enough meals in the day.

Guys this guy is going to die if he goes out like this.
>>1046748
They're literally telling him to kill himself and OP and them don't even know it.
-
OP if you just wanted to base camp for a few weeks by a river that's super fucking easy. Especially if you can find a small waterfall, you can build a little weir and you can get fresh fish whenever you want. Bring some cornmeal and some oil, fry em up nice. You got all time in the world to get some nice wood, build a smoke rack, and preserve them, or even make some jerky. Any idiot can do it, but that's a thing for base camping, it'll take you a few days off.

But 50 days, hiking, relying on fishing as a primary food source, is just stupid. You know why indians didnt like passing the rockies or apps? Because it was fucking suicidal. Took a shit load of energy and food, for fucking nothing. You cant reliably hunt. Nobody is that good. You cant guarantee you wont go hungry. There will be bad days. That's a death knell for a hiker.

It's stupid for a veteran hiker.

It's fucking suicide for a beginner.
>>
>>1046508
If that's the tent that I'm thinking it is, I'd get a replacement. The poles are fiber glass and are prone to snapping. I'd recommend a replacement.
>>
>>1047459
How the hell is he going to die with a hike in Scotland? The weather is harsh but he's not summiting K2 in flipflops. Occasional fishing and dried food for a hike duration of 50 days, some towns/villages every couple of days to stock up. He'll do fine.

OP, you need a better backpack ASAP. There is no question about it. That one will fuck your back and WILL ruin your trip. Regardless of brand it is built wrong. Get a new one immediately and send in the broken one for service already today, deal with it when you are back. You need good shoes too, you would not start at all with wonky broken ones.

Good luck to you mate, I hope you catch a salmon or two and dress up warmly.
>>
>>1046608
Sounds like you have the trail figured out and you just need to figure out your backpack. I have an Osprey Exos, and depending on the weight of your load the pack can be heaven.
>>
>>1047446
i just ment it is high in cost as you can buy plenty of 45L packs for far far less, though i personally think its great value for what you pay. got a 65+10 and i am very happy.
>>
File: stratos50_side_black.jpg (31KB, 570x760px) Image search: [Google]
stratos50_side_black.jpg
31KB, 570x760px
>>1047459
I'm sorry but I won't be replying to your shit. You obviously didn't read anything other than the OP because you are completely wrong about everything.

>>1047576
This is the European edition with aluminum poles. It's very nice desu.

>>1047578
I did! Today I returned the one I bought before and got an Osprey Stratos 50. So far it seems perfect.

For shoes I have brand new Meindl ones, I am sure they will do.

-

Anyway! Leaving Friday so any more feedback is still welcome!
>>
>>1046544
Buy a fucking Atmos 75 already
>>
>>1046644
Live almost in the town it's made in, they used to be very good quality sleeping bags like the name then they branched out and quality really dipped. Mates mum got a damn good coat 'cos his ma works for them. Did not last long for him. I think they sell alot to UK military now and that seems to be there bread and butter. Shame because local made and should be high quality but they don't seem to be doing the research on this stuff that so many companies profess to these days.
>>
>>1046458
Wtf is wrong with you that you can afford to go on a 50 day hike but you can't afford a backpack that's not made in china but starving toddlers who can't even sew, jfc.
Thread posts: 75
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.