[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

QTDDTOT

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 321
Thread images: 39

File: 4939_1_lg.jpg (97KB, 900x602px) Image search: [Google]
4939_1_lg.jpg
97KB, 900x602px
old one ded. I want to put a new muffler on my car but don't have a welder. How would I do this without welding? Also how do I know it'll fit?
>>
Just go to a muffler shop, the labour is so cheap it honestly not worth doing it yourself
>>
>>17576191
Fuck that. Two u-clamps and one hacksaw blade for less than $5.
>>
File: 1498028411347.png (378KB, 640x352px) Image search: [Google]
1498028411347.png
378KB, 640x352px
How many previous owners is to many previous owners when you buy a used car?
>>
>>17576233
Have fun gassing yourself
>>
>>17576248
Doesn't matter, depends on how well taken care the car is
>>
>>17576248
>>
bought a shitbox without the title because I was desperate for a car. fast forward 3-4 months to now. Still can't drive the thing because no title. The seller said that the car was out of state and the previous state was giving him shit about sending the title down to him. after a while he said they finally sent it and I just need to go pick it up.

my question is that since I don't have anything proving the car is mine besides a bill of sale I can get from the seller how am I supposed to get the title? What do I need besides VIN and sale bill with signature?
>>
>>17576260
>gassing yourself
>with a muffler leak

not so bright are you?
>>
>>17576717
Shut the fuck up fag. Go put your fart can on and stop shitting up my board with your shitty threads
>>
>>17576717
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03/21/friends-killed-carbon-monoxide-ford-fiesta-souped-up-improve/
>>
>>17576648
if you have the bill of sale you can request a duplicate title at the DMV but you'll need a notarized form.

I bought a car from a shitty little dealer and they went and registered it for me, all the info is right and the car's legal but nobody knows where the title's gone to. Shoulda done it myself.
Paperwork is a bitch.
>>
>>17576185
Fixing an Audi A6 with 100K miles. Air hoses are brittle as shit. They break when you move them aside. Any solutions or aftermarket replacements that aren't shit?
>>
>>17576807
if its those brittle fiberglass hoses, just use the heatshrink wrap sealer. If it's a shitty old rubber hose, buy a new oem one if its large and has a set shape to it, otherwise just go to an autoparts store and buy whichever size hose you need by the foot.
>>
What's the difficulty level on re-doing an entire front end on a 1990 2WD Hardbody?

I need new LCAs, bushings, ball joints, tierods Etc
>>
I want to record my driving on track days, what camera should I get? Pls respond
>>
>>17576725
My exhaust is stock and fart cans are obnoxious but it doesn't change the fact that an exhaust leak at the rear of the car (where the muffler is) isn't likely to pull fumes into the passenger compartment.

>>17576736
>Removes cat
>Not a leak near the muffler
>Thinks this proves me wrong
kek
>>
File: DSC_3607_medium.jpg (885KB, 1300x791px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_3607_medium.jpg
885KB, 1300x791px
Coupe vs convertible vs hardtop convertible

I've been told that coups are more rigid than convertibles, but what about the rigidity of hardtop convertibles?

Also, what other cars have a similar style to the Z4 coupe (E86)? Long hood, short deck with the roof line stretching all the way back to the end of the car?
>>
>>17577235
hardtop convertible is just going to be heavier not more stiff.
>>
>>17577235
coupes are more rigid along the bottom and because the top isnt there to deal with some of the load transfer. Engineers design them to be just as track worthy as full bodies cars so they perform the same. Personally I'm not a fan of convertibles because i hate the wind in my face, but it's all personal preference. Another choice instead of a Z4 would be an S2000 or an SLS, but both of those are pretty pricey.
>>
Would a Z31 be a good first car?
>>
What should I look for when buying new speakers? I'm not too knowledgeable about sound systems. I'm looking to only replace the front speakers right now and trying to spend less than $60. Are there any brands I should avoid?
>>
R32 GTST/4 or GTR, 2x0-300zx, Acura Legend, Silvia, or an AE86 for my meme DD?
Replacing a 2011 civic.
>>
>>17574505
car sputtered a bit before stalling, guess ill replace it in the near future
>>
My truck died twice in a week, at 180k miles and need a new car.
Are there any sedans that you sit high up in and can see everything nicely? I was in a friends once like that but I cant remember what it was. loved it about my truck but every car I've been in has been super low to the ground and everything is obstructing my view even though I'm 6'2"
>>
>>17578256
bump or maybe a prelude
>>
Last oil change I found a bunch of soft oil sludge around my oil filter. It wasn't in the filter at all, just around it. What could it be from?
>>
File: R-399861-1142106873.jpeg.jpg (29KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
R-399861-1142106873.jpeg.jpg
29KB, 500x500px
Hoping a few of you here might be /mu/tants for this question.

What's the most "black metal" car in your opinion, /o/?
>>
>>17577062
Some mufflers are in the middle of the car right after the cat.
>>
>>17579174
Volvo 740 wagon
>>
>>17579174
murdered out 96 del sol
>>
>>17578248
Save up some more money if you can. You don't need to go spending hundreds or anything, but $60 is only going to get you some basic speakers. If you're cool with that, just go get anything in your price range, but if you can save up to like $130ish you can get a better set of speakers for the front and back.
>>
>>17577235
>I've been told that coups are more rigid than convertibles, but what about the rigidity of hardtop convertibles?

It depends, by and large its true, but certain vehicles like the Miata and some generations of corvette were designed to be convertibles from the design board so the convertible versions aren't noticeably less stiff than their coupe versions.

Chrysler Crossfire, and Pontiac Solstice Coupe that come to mind that are still fairly modern and share the same fastback look, and neither of them have the same performance as the Z4
>>
>>17578912
on the inside of the gasket or outside of the filter?
>>
the turn signals in my car wont work when i turn it to the left but works when turning to the right. but the lights work as normal(small car lights double as turn signals), i checked the fuses in the engine bay and inside the car, how do i check if the turn signal relay is broken/how does a broken one look like?
>>
>>17579226
Outside the filter itself. Like it's visible even with the filter screwed on
>>
Why do Jeep Wranglers retain their value so well?

I swear I can't find a Wrangler for less than $5k around here that isn't at least 20 years old.

Is this similar to the "muscle car tax" that makes even cheapo Mustangs insanely expensive despite their KBB being shit?
>>
How much more expensive is it for maintenance on a "quality" brand versus a budget brand? Like how much more am I looking to spend on the same problem on a Cadillac or BMW versus like a kia or Honda?
>>
>>17579557
Luxury brands will obviously cost more, but foreign brands that aren't as popular are going to cost more depending on where you live.

In America, finding BMW parts and labor will cost you more than Honda or Ford, but that may not be true in Germany.
>>
>>17579597
But are we talking like 50 dollars more or 200 dollars more? Or is it just completely dependant on the part?
>>
>>17579668

You really have to be a bit more specific.

I mean, unless you're buying an exotic supercar, the costs of maintenance aren't really that different.

Where you live (America/Canada?) will determine more than what brand you have. Mercedes is going to be much cheaper in Germany than America. If you go to Japan and try to get maintenance or parts on your Ford Fusion you're going to have a hard time.

That being said, if you live in North America and you're buying North American luxury brands, as long as it's not some "premium" item (like leather, sophisticated electronic systems, etc) you can pretty much expect to pay the same as the "base model" vehicle.

For example a Lincoln Navigator is just a Ford Exursion, and a Cadillac Escalade is just a Chevy Tahoe.

If you want to know about the parts and maintenance on a BMW in the middle of Kansas vs. the parts and maintenance in New York City they're going to be different. Good luck finding a mechanic to fix your foreign car they don't see much that requires specialized training just to understand the sophisticated electronics.
>>
PLEASE HELP ME

If anyone knows a trick to seat a CV axle into the hub on a 2002 Chevy/Geo Tracker, let me know.

My axles are the style that doesn't have threads on the end, just a washer and a clip.

Been tapping and pulling and prying gently trying to get this spline to come through the hub.

Really appreciate it.
>>
>>17579434
same thing as vape tax for wrxs and boomer tax for pre 80s muscle cars and rice tax for s2ks/supras/etc
>>
>>17579355
May have had some leakage out of the filter or something above the filter was leaking, hard to say, Hot cold cycles over time will allow slight leakage.
>>
>>17579434
Because Jeepfags think their golf carts are worth something.

Chrysler a shit.
>>
>>17579702
It's frustrating because all I want is to drive around in a convertible that isn't 3 inches off the ground.

Fucking Chrysler, they have to be terrible at everything.

>>17579696
Vape tax for WRXs? Are they popular among liberal progressives?
>>
>>17579336
A broken one will look the same as a new one, however if one side is working then the relay is not broken. when you turn them to the left does the flasher flash quickly?

At any rate Pull the bulbs, it'll be obvious if they're bad, and even if you can't tell, swap the bulb from the other side and see if they work.

If they still don't work then you have a bigger problem like a bad ground.
>>
>>17579715
If you could find a dead flat fender they're not the hardest thing in the world to resurrect.
>>
>>17579683
>you can pretty much expect to pay the same as the "base model" vehicle.

You say that but you would be surprised, The big three aren't stupid if they can charge more for something that has Cadillac stamped on it, rather than GM even though the part is the fucking same, they will. Lexus and the Japanese luxury car markers are the same.
>>
>>17579715
Get an old bronco, take the vinyl top off.
>>
>>17579748
That's why a little know-how goes a long way.

You'd be surprised what fits different vehicles.

A popular upgrade for late-model Mustangfags is to take the intake manifold off newer Rangers and Explorers because they're better.
>>
>>17576185
>How would I do this without welding?
There are clamps to mate and seal two exhaust pipe ends together. Of course, welding is best, but you can go the clamp route. You need to cut both ends to be smooth and match up though.
>>
>>17579722
i already pulled the bulbs and replaced them, they work normally because the foglights double as the turn signals and those work fine when i turn them on, but the left side doesnt work for signals or the emergecy lights.
>>
>>17579750
I don't want to go super old though. I was looking for an early 00's Jeep but I can see quite quickly that's not an option for me.
>>
>>17579174
Any rusty boxy Volvo. Older Hearses too imo
>>
>>17579693
Make sure the axle is lined up straight with the hub, maybe put a little grease on the splines, then tap the hub onto the axle. Tap in a circular pattern. Don't start smacking into it like your trying to lay a railroad spike but if you feel its not going in, pull it out and reset the axle.
>>
>>17579848
Aight. It seems like I got the other side via dumb luck. This is the side that has a axle flange connecting to to the differential w/ 3 bolts.

I thought maybe tapping the axle straight at the spindle would throw it in there if I was gentle. I'll back it out and try it though.
>>
>>17576983
is hardbody like a type of car or something
>>
>>17579864
It's a Datsun truck.
>>
>>17576983
If you have air and impacts, extensions, torque wrench, parts, patience etc...

I'm doing Axles, Lower control arms, Sway bar links, shocks on a Chevy Tracker.

I'd rate my process as a 6/10 difficulty but time consuming. I've spent days because of the heat, stopping and starting and running into little snags.

Most hardbodies are rotted out around here.
>>
File: 1494685802982.jpg (106KB, 645x968px) Image search: [Google]
1494685802982.jpg
106KB, 645x968px
Is it a bad idea to contact a seller on craiglist to simply test out how a car seat feels? Need to swap the original seats in my foxbody because they're broken, and I was told '94-'04 Mustang seats are direct bolt in.

I was thinking about contacting someone selling one on craiglist, telling them my plans, and then if they're ok with it, offer $5 for their time.

What are my chances of finding decent quality seats from a pick n pull? I feel like seats would be taken already, if they aren't fucked up from sitting in a junkyard.
>>
>>17579174
Any full framed car minus grill and front bumper.
>>
>>17580071
just tell them you want to buy the car, test drive it, and then say you dont want it

maybe leave 5 bucks on the dash after
>>
>>17580071
If you're planning on finding these seats in a junk yard
>terrible idea
Just do sit in them at the junkyard you fucking goon.
No one is going to tell you to come over to fart in their seat when they're trying to peddle a shit box.
>>
>>17580071

I can tell you that 96-04 Mustang seats are NOT a direct bolt-in for a Fox Mustang.

You'll need the rails and everything, and then you'll need to do some drilling.

I'm not sure about the 94-95 'stangs but I can't imagine they'd be that different simply because the engine is different.

>Is it a bad idea to contact a seller on craiglist to simply test out how a car seat feels?

Don't be a dick.

Also, the seats in the 94+ aren't that much better than the fox seats. Just spend the money on a nice pair of racing buckets.
>>
>>17580071
Just find a dealership with one dude
>>
>>17580227
You know that Fox4 'stangs stopped being produced 14 years ago, right?
>>
>>17580234
>what are used cars

holy shit dude
>>
>>17576185
Are all LS power steering pumps universal?
specifically for an L98
>>
So, is a 240v air compressor an absolute must for painting a vehicle? My garage only has 1 120v outlet, so I'd need a 120v compressor, obviously. I've read a bunch of different forums that while a 240v is obviously better, a 120v can do just as good of a job if you aren't retarded.
>>
File: 1461485521420.jpg (111KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
1461485521420.jpg
111KB, 960x640px
it appears as if the steering rack on my 2002 nissan sentra is leaking fluid. can i just keep topping the fluid off or do i have to replace the steering rack?
>>
Does high altitude really cause that much of a drop in engine performance?
I'm a mile up and wondering if I should go out of my way to pick up something with turbo.
>>
>>17580586
About 20% at a mile up on an N/A.
>>
>>17576191

Not OP, but is labor just as cheap for old turboed shit boxes?
>>
>>17578248
Stay away from boss, lanzar legacy rockville. I know polk and pioneer both make some decent $65 speakers. In my audio car I run polk 6.5s and 3.5s in front
>>17579792
If your car has the same part# for another relay try switching them out just to see if it starts working. Ive had relays start/stop working from dropping them or banging them against a wall
>>
>>17580589
>20%
Sounds pretty harsh. Would there be any benefit to getting a ~300hp 6-cylinder over a ~250 turbo 4 other than sound at these heights?
>>
Can anyone recommend a camera to mount in my car to record myself on the track and whatnot? I'd rather use something other than a basic dash cam.
>>
File: IMG_20170722_103213.jpg (2MB, 2336x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170722_103213.jpg
2MB, 2336x4160px
Which Ferrari is this?
>>
>>17581003

ferrari 456
>>
>>17581012
Thanks
>>
>>17578473
Subarus are generally sitting higher. I have a Forester and love it
>>
>>17578473
I current a Toyota Highlander that sits up nicely.
About to trade off for a 4runner or tacoma. Maybe, still looking thou...
>>
Are used Audi A6 any good?
Found a 2005 automatic A6 3.0 tdi with 170k km for only 6200 euro
I wanted to go manual but this seems like a good deal or is it not? link related
http://www.merrjep.al/Njoftimi/Shitet/Tiran%C3%AB/AUTOMJETE/Makina/Audi/A6/AUDI-A6-K-AUTOMATIKE-MOTORR-3-0-NAFTE/4440907
>>
>>17578248
>What should I look for when buying new speakers?
Pioneer is a brand that for decades has been well above average bang for the buck speaker. Some online authorized (full warranty) sellers such as Crutchfield also have checked each model of speaker to see if it fits into the car model you enter into their online tool. If you buy Pioneer or some other name brand car speakers, go to the Crutchfield website (and others) to cross check your car's year model to see if the speaker will fit.
>>
>>17576807
rescue tape
>>
>>17579800
I just picked up a 3rd gen 4runner. Roof doesn't come off but the rear glass rolls down, has a sunroof, rear locker, actual storage space vs a jeep, and easy to work on. 5k will get you a nice one and the 3.4L is pretty stout.
>>
Looking to get a used car since my first one is finally not worth fixing. I live in the US and was looking to spend like 13k or less, trying to get payments down to 250 or under.
Would it be dumb to buy a used BMW or Audi for that price? I want something reliable and won't break on me every couple months. I don't treat my car like crap so I'm just worried about shit breaking on its own.
>>
>>17577029
P L E A S E R E S P O N D
>>
>>17582008
just get a bunch of gopros like everyone else you nerd
>>
>>17576185
Theoretically if you have all the materials and tools
and all laws and regulations need not apply except for the laws of physics
how would you build a ICE car faster the 920 pound ft, 588 HP Tesla Model S
ignoring aerodynamics, just talking numbers
>>
File: usedcarsalesman.jpg (35KB, 500x397px) Image search: [Google]
usedcarsalesman.jpg
35KB, 500x397px
>>17580270
>14 year old car
>getting assfucked by a used car salesman
>>
>>17576185
Got a thumping noise coming from my rear left wheel on a 2006 cadillac CTS

This only happens when I'm accelerating or turning from stop or a slow speed.

Anyone have any idea what this is before I take my suspension apart?

I'm installing new catalytic converters on it so when I lift it up for that I might as well do the suspension repair, just wondering if you br/o/s knew anything about this symptom
>>
How hard would it be to replace a valve cover gasket on a 5th gen accord 4 cylinder? I want to save money and do it myself but I only know how to do basic shit like changing the oil and spark plugs.
>>
What's the best approach to building a sleeper Nissan y61?

Thinking of cold air intake + performance cam + headers + exhaust cutout to start
>>
>>17582145
>getting assfucked by a used car salesman
They will tell you anything you want to hear. If it is not in print with their signature and VIN, then it doesn't count.
>>
If I post some used cars could I get your guys opinions on them?
>>
Why does the car jerk super bad when it shifts when the intake temp sensor is unplugged?
>>
File: ramc.png (451KB, 465x560px) Image search: [Google]
ramc.png
451KB, 465x560px
>>17576185
>1986 Dodge Ramcharger 4x4
>auto
>"passing gear disconnected"
>"daily driven"
>"new motor an tranny with under 8k miles"
>4lo doesn't engage
>rear tires brand new
>no interior door panels
>straight body, rough paint

Is a this a good deal for $750?

They're aesthetic cars and for so little it'd be good for shitting around imo.

WHat do you think?

pic related
>>
>>17582390
The basics to building a more powerful car is simply burning more fuel. A CAI is mostly just a meme, at best you'd get maybe 10 more hp? which in the grand scheme of things would do nothing for a quarter mile or track time. If you really want to make power, put a nitrous kit or a turbo on the car. If you can get significantly more air in the engine, you can burn a significant amount of more gas and gain a significant amount of power. Cams and headers will help getting the air into the cylinder, but if all you have is a CAI, your headers, exhaust cutout and performance cams would be all for naught. More air = more gas = more power. A CAI just doesn't give you that much more air when you consider a blower.
>>
>>17582961
Seems like a lot of inconvenience for $750. In my unwanted opinion, I do have a minimum standard in buying used cars, and a fully working transfer case and door panels are some of them.
>>
I have a 97 2.2l S10. I want to make my exhaust loud, my state has no laws other than it has to come out the back of the car. What should I look for or buy?

I know this is the most retarded of questions, but I'm a retard when it comes to cars and I want to start with this
>>
>>17583055
I can agree with you, the transfer case not being fully functional is a red flag for me too

thanks for the input friendo
>>
>>17582244
It's pretty easy. Intake box usually comes off, disconnect the valve cover vent to intake, take the spark plug wires off, remove the bolts around the edge and wiggle the cover until it comes off. Do a valve adjustment while the valve cover is off (feeler gauges are like 10$ at home depot) and all you need is a slotted screw driver and a 10mm wrench
>>
After quite a bit of research and reading forums, i came to the conclusion that the g37 out performs the genesis 3.8.. But almost every genesis vs g37 video on youtube has the genesis whoopin ass. Even the pre '13 genesis ate winning and they have less hp and torque. But everyone in the forums say g37 is fastet and genesis is over rated on the spec sheet. Im confused.
>>
Same guy as >>17583287

Also people have claimed that stock vs stock the 2.0t genesis is faster than the 3.8. I call bullshit, right? Clearly the bigger engine with more hp and torque wins right?

Also somone said somthing about the 2.0t haveing more "low end torque". Claiming it was faster at acellerateing from a stop and would beat the 3.8 in "red light" raceing. Is the 2.0t faster in certain gears or what? It doesnt make sense to me seeing as the 3.8 is a power house compared to the 2.0t.
>>
>>17583287
Gearing can make a huge difference at certain speeds. Like 0-30 could be the genesis but the g37 will walk the genesis at 60+ for example. Also the g37 weighs as much as 600 pounds more than the coupe. Get a g37 if you wanna be the cool friend who drives his friends to taco bell when you're high as fuck. genesis coupe if you want to just be alone or prioritize driving experience over company.
>>
>>17583326
People like the 2.0 turbo since to make more power all you really have to do is turn the boost up. An easy way to see it is HP/ton, but that's only half the story. whichever car can get to its power faster and can stay in the powerband is who will win. The 2.0 having more low end torque only means that it reaches it's max torque faster than the V6 does. Doesn't mean it's better, but it means you got to your power faster. If you're only racing an 1/8th of a mile at a time, the faster car off the line will win everytime hands down. The 3.8 is heavier and slower to get to its "higher" power and the race is over before the engine can actually get spinning. But, in say from a roll, or a top end speed race, the 3.8 will always win.
>>
>>17583333
But i was talking about a g37 coupe. Or did you get that? I was dead set on getting one and now im thinking they arnt as quick as people are saying. People were making it seem like they were the fastest out of the same year range camaro, stang, charger, challenger, and genesis with similar engines.
>>
I can move my steering shaft up and down and side to side quite a ways, is this bad?
>>
>>17580448
Its not the voltage its the CFM and Capacity it puts out that matters.
>>
>>17580575
You'll eventually have to replace it. Leaks get worse and debris off the road might get in.
>>
>>17580594
If its not coming directly off the down pipe on the turbo then it will be cheap.
>>
I am trying to think of a car that would let me watch anime, play videogames, shitpost on /o/ etc from the driver's seat. Is there some kind of gadget, equipment, or just a car with a built in screen, that lets me do that? Price is not an option, please tell me of the most luxurious possibility.
>>
>>17583432
Also tell me of extremely comfortable and convenient cars in general with all kinds of comfort perks to it.
>>
>>17583394
Its normal, provided you don't have any deadspots in your steering, it allows installation removal and keeps the steer from binding.
>>
>>17583445
no deadspots as far as i can tell. thanks
>>
>>17583379
This is kinda making sense to me. I just wanna dust people at the red light and get forced back into my seat. Preferably with stock, Or maybe some simple mods that wont really effect reliability and longevity.
>>
>>17583432
In many states its illegal to do that and most auto manufacturers will have some sort of interlock keeping you from doing that. however most after android market double din+ size infotainment/touch screens will allow you to view media on them.

Better question why do you need all that shit when you can just buy a tablet?
>>
>>17583432
"Price is not an option"

Nothings free anon.
>>
What is launching? Does it kill your car?
>>
>>17583479
>"Price is not an option"
What I meant to say is that price wouldn't be a limit, I am sorry for being asleep. I don't plan to have such a car, just thinking about stuff you know. It gets bonus points if its a Japanese car, designed and made in Japan.
>>17583465
I am trying to think of the most convenient, luxurious, comfortable car possible. Part of the comfort would derive from being able to play all sorts of media on what is essentially a general purpose computer with a reasonably wide screen reachable from the driver seat. Preferably this would be a built in feature of the car but if I have to install a tablet on the panel that's fine too I guess.
>>
>>17583503
Launching is dumping the clutch from a high rpm from a standstill. All that slack driveline "snaps" to attention and moves the car. Once in a blue moon is ok, but regular launching puts too much strain on the drivetrain components and they'll eventually break unless upgraded, but even racing grade stuff breaks after prolonged abuse.
>>
Are geo metros a good platform to learn to drive manual? I ask since they're so cheap and you can't seem to rent manuals anymore.
>>
>>17578473
Chrysler 300
Ford Five Hundred
>>
>>17583787
Yes, a bit under powered though so learning to use the clutch will be little more challenging.
>>
>>17580862
The 300hp NA will make about 255 hp wheras the 250hp turbo will still (probably) make 250hp. About the same really.
But go on a road trip to somewhere sea level and the 300 horsepower engine will be at 300 again.
>>
>>17582110
Easy, just make the race last longer than 20 minutes. Any internal combustion engine will do.
>>
>>17584015
isn't that better to translate to good stuff?
>>
>>17584052
It really doesn't matter, the engineers designed the gears around the power of the engine so the car can at least move, but thats why you see some cars with a top speed of 80mph, if that. An underpowered car just teaches you to be more sensitive to the throttle and clutch. If you're in a big diesel pickup, most of the time you dont even need to use the throttle to get the truck moving
>>
How many miles is too many miles to buy a car? Or does it depend on the make and model? Like is 61k miles on a 2014 BMW too many?
>>
I'm looking for a DD with:

Cargo room
Mild towing capability
Mild offroad capability
Not atrocious gas mileage

What are my options? Is there a reason I shouldn't go get a Subaru Outback 3.6?
>>
>>17583091
Muffler delete. Clamp in section of pipe as a replacement, or have shop weld one in.
I'm guessing your state has no sort of emissions inspection either, so you can get away with a catalytic converter delete. Same deal. Replace with section of pipe.
Start with the muffler delete tho, and if you want it louder, move on to the cat.
>>
>>17583456
I would go for the 3.8 genesis coupe, after watching a few videos, it's clearly the fastest of the 3 models you're looking at (g37, 2.0t and 3.8). probably going to be expensive and has Korean reliability which falls short of toyota reliability. inb4

>toyota reliability
>>
>>17584241
I'm in favor of the outback, but other cars to consider would be a newer ford explorer, crv, ford edge, or a highlander. Also the Forester would be something to look at, 2.0 turbo model.
>>
>>17583661
What about in an automatic? Revving in neutral and throwing it in drive? That is launching also? Is it just as bad or worse as in the manuel?
>>
>>17584313
>>
>>17584308
Ferd Exploder is probably more than I want to spend, but the CRV looks good.

My only issue with the Forester is that it's only rated to tow 1000lbs to my knowledge. I think even a small camper or boat exceeds that.
>>
>>17580297
Well, I know for a fact the l98 is nothing at all like the ls anymore l, and the lt1 barely is either. The answer is "probably"
>>
>>17584118
Miles mean nothing I work at a junkyard and have seen good running cars come in with high miles and shit boxes with low miles

IE last month a 2009 Taurus came in from a nurse nothing wrong with it just 459,000 miles

And I've seen a car come in with under 100K and it was beat to shit and wouldn't dare put it back on the road.

Try to pick up a 1 owner car from a private person who kept a record of all the maintenance done. Anything under 100K is nice but pay for a VIN or title search working in the boneyard I see a lot of swapped odometers.

Last week had a guy tell me it's a great car under 100K we got it I checked the vin poor schmuck got it after someone replaced the 149,000 mile odometer with a 49,000 mile one I could see it had been titled with over 100k miles a few times.
>>
>>17584118
Ive been lurking o for quite some time and o has convinced me to never buy a bmw because it will be in the shop constantly and high prices for parts.

It depends on the particular car yes, but not entirely as, if well maintained, almost every car can reach 200-300k or more even. But the thing when buying used is you never really know if it was driven hard or maintained well.

I think if 1 or 2 owners, non fleet or rental, and no major accidents, i would concider a purchase if the car had around 130k tops. And thats if i really like that particular make and model. Any more than that and i just cant do it. But idealy im comfortable buying (meeting the criteria above) around 80k or less.

So just research the car and try to make a sound decision. For example ive read nissan altimas haveing issues with faulty/transmission failures at low miles.... So an 80k altima i would still be very weary of. I wouldnt buy it.
>>
I have a 2014 Altima with the VQ35.

It recommends oil changes at 3,250 miles for city driving or 7,500 miles highway.

80% of my driving is highway so I was changing oil at 7,500 miles.

Last oil change I switched to Royal Purple full synthetic. It recommends an oil change interval of 12k miles, but I've read that you should double the interval with full synthetic, which would be 15k miles.

What should my oil change interval be?
>>
>>17584395
DO NOT FALL FOR THE 12K MILE MEME
EVERY 6K MILES OR BUST. don't be retarded.
>>
>>17584118
the average person drives about 12,000-15,000 miles a year. 61k miles isn't bad but are they city miles or highway miles. Was the car broken in properly? Was it a fleet vehicle or private owner? Generally no, too many miles isn't that bad, my 02 wrx has 245k on the clock with original motor, trans, and turbo. I'm the 5th owner and it still walks newer civic si's.

>>17584313
When you have it sitting at 4k rpms and drop it into 1st, the clutch on 1st gear grabs and depending on how it grabs, slowly and smoothly, or hard and grabby, heat will be generated. If it grabs hard, makes less heat but that shocks the drivetrain and could spin the wheels which that sort of defeats the purpose of a "smooth automatic tranny". Some cars do have a sport mode though. Slow and smooth will burn the clutches and kill the trans within seconds. Better to brake boost in drive and then let go of the brake than slamming into first. Way worse dropping it from neutral to first in an automatic.
>>
>>17584403
If I change at 6k is it even worth using full synthetic oil?

I drive 25k/year, so I need to change the oil every couple of months.
>>
>>17584295
Yea the videos gave me the same impression but the concensus in the forums is that their a bit underpowered and dont actually put out the numbers on the spec sheet. That and everyone gives the vq engine praise, but they seem to be getting beat. Fuck it im just gonna get a smart car, i heard those are quick of the line.
>>
>>17584392
Are they constantly in the shop because the people driving it are doing something wrong or is it natural stuff? I would have thought a BMW would need less work done on it over time. I know id be paying a little more for insurance but I'm honestly really worried about repair work.
>>
>>17584410
Ahh this was i formative. Any who random question...

Is it bad to rev the engine while its in "park"?
>>
>>17584451
the vq engine is a little old, but i bet the reliability and cost of repairs vs the genesis would be waaaaay better. Might also be a more comfortable ride as well. If i were you, wanting to be comfy, but quick off the line, I'd get the g37 and change the final drive ratio.

>>17584481
Park just puts a small pin in the transmission output shaft so the wheels cant spin. Other than looking like an asshole, there's nothing wrong with revving in park or neutral aside from unnecessary wear and tear on the engine.
>>
>>17584457
Maybe some other people can chime in on this to help you, but i believe oem parts just constantly fail or need to be replaced. Rumor has it that they actually design the cars and certain parts to fail on purpose.
>>
>>17584517
Whats is final drive ratio? Change it how? Hard to change? What will the "change" do?
>>
>>17584457
BMWs are *cough*, "high performance machines". Tighter tolerances, higher compression, higher ICE efficiency. The parts are very specialized and very complicated. Harder to make coupled with they don't make as many parts as say for a honda, so the price naturally will be high. Then you have to pay someone who knows all the tips and tricks for working on bimmers. But the car isn't designed to fail after x miles, just the reliability of parts after x miles of being exposed to harsh heat, cold, and vibrations can only be expected to last so long. You could increase the reliability, but then the cost of the product goes up. A well cared for bmw would run perfectly at 200k. Just most bmw drivers are asshole wannabe race car drivers.
>>
>>17584559
Is it costly to take good care of a bmw more so than other cars?
>>
>>17584550
The rear differential ratio of the 09+ G37 6sp manual is 3.692:1. So the transmission output shaft spins 3.692 times per one spin of the wheel. If say you increased that to 4.08:1, your engine spins higher faster and you significantly increase your wheel torque, good for launching without grenading your trans.
https://www.myg37.com/forums/drivetrain/247553-4-08-ring-and-pinion-swap-she-s-alive.html
as an example of people changing your diff ratio. engineering explained can explain it as well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHhY_z1bYA4
>>
I keep reading NGK spark plugs don't require anti-seize and they advise against using it. Is it true?
>>
>>17584559
Damn that's disappointing to say the least. Looking at customer reviews for some of the models I was looking at and most were getting things replaced every 3 months or less.
Would you happen to know if VWs or Lincoln's are any better? Really appreciate everyones help.
>>
>>17584587
Does this apply to automatic? Thats what ill be driving.
>>
>>17577374
sure why not
>>
>>17584617
Idk about lincolins but people bash on VW too. What are you looking for in a car? Maybe some people will suggest somthing thats up your ally and more reliable.
>>
>>17576185
Cut pipes to size.
Use "Muffler Weld" Inside the joint between pipe and muffler

I SAID INSIDE THE JOINT. INSIDE
That means a nice thick goobering of muffler weld all around the pipe, alllll around, then sliding together tight.

Clamp pipes

follow instructions to the letter about getting pipe hot and when

done solid, done right (ish), legal.
>>
>>17584760
Honestly just looking for a nice sedan that isn't going to cost me 5k in repairs every year. Looking to spend like a max of 14k, preferably less of course. Coming from a 20 year old truck so I was just wanting a nice car to look at and to drive.
>>
>>17584729
Yes, you'll have the same effect in an auto. You'd want to read up on someone else doing it on their auto because it could confuse the transmission.
>>
>>17584803
>Lexus
>High trim Subaru Legacy
>Volvo
>Saab
>Lincoln
>Infinity

In that order
I got a sweet Saab 9-5 aero with low miles for 4k. No problems yet, rides really nice and has a ton of features. They are reasonably reliable luxury at a bargain.
>>
Considering they all have no problems are taken care of previously by their owners which of these should I take as my first car?

2005 Audi A6 3.0 diesel automatic with 170k km
2005 bmw e90 320d manual with 160k km
2007 vw passat 2.0 diesel automatic with 190k km
2006 mazda 3 1.6 diesel manual with 120k km
the german cars cost 6200 euro while the mazda 3500 euro

I know the mazda would be the safer pick but it just feels a little bit meh compared to the rest
I know german parts cost more but if I maintain the car does it have to break at all?
I personally like the a6 the most atm cause I think its a good deal for a 200+ hp car and I think the bmw would be the most fun since its manual
What do you think /o/?
>>
>>17585151
Avoid the BMW unless you have a decent paying job and a way to get to work when it's in the shop every few months.
>>
>>17585165
really? I heard the 320d was a reliable engine in a thread before
I only heard it could be unreliable in electronic gimmicks
>>
>>17585170
It's not gonna be just the engine that'll be wearing out or busting on you
>>
>>17584596
Use it. Won't hurt, will help tremendously 50k miles down the road when you change them again
>>
>>17585175
alright thanks
do you know anything about the rest?
>>
When will I be able to buy a Lexus LF-FC?
>>
File: 1494710103796.jpg (73KB, 950x413px) Image search: [Google]
1494710103796.jpg
73KB, 950x413px
Can someone explain to me how dealer inventories work?

I want to buy a new car, but the dealer does not have it in stock according to their website. Can I go in and order it? If so, how long does it usually take to arrive? Does it have to be built from scratch at the factory or do they have a database of already manufactured cars that they can order from?
>>
Is the e locker in my 01 tacoma strong enough to hoon in?? Never tried it due to the locker being fucked when I first got it, but I've swapped the axle since then
>>
Would buying an early 2000's Jaguar be a huge money sink? How's the upkeep on them? Love their aesthetics
>>
File: D.png (260KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
D.png
260KB, 500x375px
>>17585722
>>
>>17585697
>doesn't wonder how old e locker broke
really guy?
>>
>>17585742
i mean thats pretty much what i expected, just wondering if anyones had any experience on doing dumb shit like that so i dont have to
>>
Would getting a coupe while having a baby be the worst idea ever, aside from getting a 2 seater?
>>
>>17585606
Depends entirely on the dealer and the manufacturer.
Toyota doesn't take special orders, whereas my local Ford dealer will order you whatever you want with every rebate and incentive possible and promise it in a certian amount of time.
>>
>>17585722
They are HORRENDOUSLY bad. Probably the least reliable vehicles sold in the US in the 2000s.
>>
>>17585738
hilarious, b/c last time i saw someone driving a early2000 jag
they looked like this guy
and they were an absolute twat
>>
http://www.giantautosales.net/2009_MercedesBenz_CClass_268982282.veh

Would it be a bad idea to go and check this out? It's a pretty decent price for it and my insurance wouldn't go up with it either, just worried about if stuff would fail on it I don't know how well built they actually are despite the name.
>>
>>17585827
No, they were literally Fords with luxury kits. Jaguars under ford we're built pretty well
>>
>>17578256
somebody?
>>
>>17585877
>tfw desperately want an 80-90s jag
>>
File: 420wankelit.jpg (19KB, 210x240px) Image search: [Google]
420wankelit.jpg
19KB, 210x240px
>>17585883
>already bought a civic
>won't STFU
Dacia Sandero
>>
File: 1474378005341.jpg (56KB, 600x399px) Image search: [Google]
1474378005341.jpg
56KB, 600x399px
>>17585877
>Ford
>building/managing anything well
>not running companies into the ground
>so that only the chinese want them
maximum overkeks
also RIP Volvo
>captcha:select the jaguars
>real jaguars
>one image of an MG grill and badge
stop trolling me captcha
>>
>>17585922
>bought
It was given to me, nothing wrong with the car. I Just want something else, give it back to those who gave it to me.
>>
File: 1427564195732.jpg (358KB, 817x818px) Image search: [Google]
1427564195732.jpg
358KB, 817x818px
What's the absolute minimum you need to invest to into dorifto?
>>
>>17585998
nissan d21
>other compact trucks are available
bald tires/wet pavement
and sand bags for babbys first drift
>>
Realistically, if a car is selling for 14k and that's the "suggested retail" on kbb, how much could I try to get taken off?
>>
>>17586036
Sorry, my post wasn't really clear
I meant to go to beater meets and such. I watched the vice documentary about the Money Gang and I'd love to try something like that
>>
File: 1442914468378.jpg (127KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
1442914468378.jpg
127KB, 1200x900px
Before I can ask my question, I got to tell you this story
>about a year ago
>buy used Chevy in South California for about $3000
>take it to Mexico
>get Mexican license plates
>driving it in Mexico
>federal police pulls us over
>our Mexican plates apparently belong to a Toyota
>we tell cop that we'll just put on American Plates until we can get it sorted out
>cops says no
>confiscates car and American plates
>wants us to pay him $8000 to get car back
>say no and never see car again
>fast forward to yesterday
>we get a letter from DMV
>it's a notice of toll evasion that occurred on the I-580 by the San Francisco Bay Area
>with the same plates

My question is, can we report the car to be missing and get it back?
We live in SoCal and the toll evasion occurred all the way in NorCal.
What should we do, and how should we handle this?
>>
File: 1463408503078.jpg (43KB, 640x426px) Image search: [Google]
1463408503078.jpg
43KB, 640x426px
>>17586194
>thinking my suggestion doesn't apply
neat go fuck yourself then
>>
>>17586264
It very well could, I was asking more about the logistics and additional costs, I'm guessing it takes way more than just a truck
>>
>>17585998
a big ole pile of space savers and worn out tires
>>
>>17586254
>fucking around with black market plates in mexico
>can't into bribes
>not bribing the cop then and there
learn this phrase:
"how much will it cost to deal with this today?"
>not haggling the "fee"
you'd be surprised how often it works

also u should have informed the DMV within 7-10 day that u no longer had vehicle, call them up and do it soon
worst case they put fines or a hold on the registration renewal fee for that specific vehicle

>what should we do
you posting for your familia?
tell them not to put stolen plates on the fucking DD mensos
>>
File: D21_horror.jpg (276KB, 1230x500px) Image search: [Google]
D21_horror.jpg
276KB, 1230x500px
>>17586284
>I'm open for the plane mommy!
protip: it doesn't
double protip: get two d21s and a trailer
trailer one, drive to meet
hopefully trailer D looks like pic related
leave trailed D secured,
drift tow D
>>
>>17586312
>not bribing the cop then and there
He wanted us to pay him 8000 dollars (not pesos) to give us back the car, and he didn't want anything lower than that price. He also told us that the car would be impounded and then crushed.
And we couldn't really inform the DMV because we were going to vacation in Mexico for a month.

>fucking around with black market plates in Mexico
The Mexican DMV or what ever it's called could have given us the wrong plates, BUT knowing how my father is, he probably did get black market plates, and his reason why, would probably be "because it was cheaper".
>>
Is there a better youtuber than Gingium? I don't think so!
>>
File: Miata_1990_odometer.png (14KB, 944x528px) Image search: [Google]
Miata_1990_odometer.png
14KB, 944x528px
>>17584361
>working in the boneyard I see a lot of swapped odometers.
>Last week had a guy tell me it's a great car under 100K
>someone replaced the 149,000 mile odometer with a 49,000 mile one
>it had been titled with over 100k miles a few times.

like this car which had been hidden from shops most of its life but for the one time the owner slipped up and forgot to swap back in a low odometer.
>>
So I have a focus st and I was looking for some brake pads/rotors. checked rock auto because obviously trying to be cheap. Found that stainless steel hoses on rock auto are about $15 for a set of front ones, and $15 for the rear. Seems incredibly cheap, but it's name brand stop tech and the part # matches what shows on other sites which go for about $40-55 depending on vendor. Hell over on ebay knock offs are more

how can rock auto be so cheap?

Anyways going for HPS pads because I like them on my other car. looking for rotors still
>>
File: s60.jpg (2MB, 2048x1360px) Image search: [Google]
s60.jpg
2MB, 2048x1360px
What are your thoughts on the Volvo S60?
How is its super and turbo charged 4 banger?
>>
>>17586592
>how can rock auto be so cheap?
welp i'm retarded and can't read. it's $15/hose. still a bit cheaper than a lot of other places
>>
I want a Land Cruiser J70 but they're too expensive in the states. What's another iconic off road suv used around the world? I'm thinking Isuzu Trooper, would prefer Japanese
>>
sometimes my lancer just doesn't want to start. Electronics work, but the car won't begin to turn over. Is this more likely the immobolizer or the starter motor or something else playing up?
>>
>>17586730
I owned a land rover discovery 2 for some time, really nice and oddly reliable car. Not sure of pricing in the US though
>>
>>17586813
Do you hear a lot of "ticking" from the starter motor? Is it a dead battery, or is it more like no fuel or air? My first guess is starter motor, but if you can come back 30 min later and it starts right up, it's not the starter. Try checking fuel pressure and make sure your throttle plate or idle air control valve is clean.
>>
File: $_86.jpg (60KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
$_86.jpg
60KB, 800x450px
The budget is 6 grand.
Which one would you pick ?
>VW Golf V 1.6 mpi 102 bhp
>VW Passat B6 1.6 FSI 116 bhp
>Skoda Superb Mk I 1.8T 150 bhp
>BMW E90 318i 143 bhp
>Audi A4 B7 1.6 102 bhp
>>
>>17586843
it will always start up eventually, but often takes 5 minutes of me turning the key and getting progressively more pissed off
>>
>>17586861

why would you spend 6 grand on any of those cars
>>
File: 4499f76d8d91a220b341baa43361e0a8.jpg (272KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
4499f76d8d91a220b341baa43361e0a8.jpg
272KB, 1600x1200px
would buying an e55 be retarded?

I'm not naive enough to assume I won't be paying a lot of maintenance
>>
>>17586897

That's the price on most of the decent ones. Prices are going crazy lately tho
>>
>>17584803
Dude just get a toyota camry or avalon, honda civic coup. Reliable as fuck. But the civic might leave you wanting more power if you have a full car.
>>
>>17585151
Too many miles on all of thembut the mazda. Your trying to find a faster car with little money. All your going to get it high milage beat up junk. Get something that will drive well and save up for the car you want. Get a civic or a colbalt. At least the colbalt can spin its tires a bit. But its just a stepping stone car to get you to the next one.
>>
>>17585697
The fuck is hoon?
>>
>>17585151

There's no such thing as an Audi A6 3.0 TDI from 2005 with 170k km unless it's some story about some extraordinary old man-dentist-drives only on weekend.
300-350k km is a more reasonable mileage.
Same goes for the BMW and the Passat, expect 280-350km on the clock. Nobody buys a diesel and does low mileage.
Also, stay away from the Passat 2.0TDI from pre-2008 era, as they are downright shit and plagued with problems.

Does it have to be a diesel ?
>>
>>17586152
About $200. No dealer wants to haggle over used car prices anymore. Seriously.
>>
>>17586956
advanced strayan terminology for 'drive like a fuckwit'
>>
>>17586483
This pisses me off.
>>
>>17586964
This didnt help me at all.
>>
>>17586980
there's this really helpful website called google, you should give it a look! This newfangled internet thing gets a bit confusing! (chuckles)
>>
>>17586984

Go away gramps
>>
>>17586984
I dont get it..?
>>
So I'm beyond poor as fuck, so if I can do this without having to buy anything else that would be cool, but the bottom bolt on my rear caliper brakes will NOT come off. I've tried yanking with channel grips, having my brother push it with a screwdriver as I un-ratchet it, and I've sprayed it down with PB Blaster. I'm about to go try again soon, but if that doesn't work what other options do I have? I'm poor as shit but I can't really play the "one more tool" game on this one.
>>
>>17586961
well no but thats what most cars are here
I can check the milage and if they lowered it before I buy it ofc
>>
>>17587061
drill it out or you could try heat if the parts aren't aluminum
>>
File: $_20.png (961KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
$_20.png
961KB, 800x600px
Actually getting around to building a project but I'm stuck looking for a roller to start.
Should I grab something like an old civic and drop a 2.4L k24 or similar into it or go all out and find something extra like this beat rx7?
>>
Am i white trash for thinking about a loan to buy parts for my car?
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-07-23-08-32-33.png (413KB, 480x854px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-07-23-08-32-33.png
413KB, 480x854px
Is a dirty/dingy looking engine bay a bad sign?

Pic related. A car im thinking about going to check out. Its a 2011 genesis coupe. Ive looked at other cars around the same years and the engine still looked clean and shiny, so idk why this one looks sketchy...

Any red flags based on this picture? Is it all stock?
>>
File: 00d0d_h3G6zPjSapo_1200x900.jpg (180KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
00d0d_h3G6zPjSapo_1200x900.jpg
180KB, 1200x900px
>>17587326
Idk why i did screenshot. Heres the actual pic.
>>
>>17587255
Wouldn't be any different than what most people do, which is use a credit card. Just pay it off quickly.
>>
>>17587333
He may have just not cleaned it well, or ever had it detailed, dirty engine bays aren't really a sign of anything.
>>
>>17586939
My wife already has a civic. It's nice but like you said I do want a little more.
>>
>>17587333
Its hard to say. It can have immaculate maintenance records and just be filthy. I know i wouldnt let my bay look like that if i was trying to sell a car though. Id go for the bk2 gensis personally, even the turbo one.
>>
is there a better channel for car mechanics than engineering explained? Dude is horrendously boring.
>>
>>17587203
Heat is actually what got it out that far, and heat has not worked in getting it out any further. Actually, I forgot to mention it's halfway out. And a drill will not fit in the spot
>>
If I for some reason absolutely wanted a BMW and nothing could convince me otherwise.
Are the warranties that used dealerships offer any good? And are those warranties you can buy separate any good? Or are are they all a scam essentially?
>>
>>17587644
Theres a reason most new BMW's you see on the road are only leased for 2 years.

If you want to own a BMW you'd better get familiar with a wrench.
>>
>>17587668
Are there any models from any year that aren't a piece of shit? Kind of amazes me that they're a "luxury" brand yet they have to be worked on every damn couple of months, same with Mercedes.
>>
>>17587420
Yea i would definatly rather have a '13+ 3.8 but price is a huge factor. The '13s are easily 15 grand and this '11 model 3.8 is 8 grand and milage is decent at 75k.

You would rather get a '13 2.0t over the '11 3.8? Why?

The '11 3.8 still has 30 more hp.
>>
>>17586974
No one would know normally as long as the car avoided places that recorded odometer readings or if the owner swapped out the odometer for the fake one before taking it to the shop. That would generate a valid-looking fake papertrail of false odometer readings. When I worked for the civil service (usa government), I remember various people had older cars with disconnected odometers. While that meant they didn't know their speeds, it's easy enough to keep with the flow of traffic under the assumption that those cars know what the speed limit is. I guess government people aren't any more honest than regular people if the system doesn't have a way of forcing people to be honest.

The schlock that some companies sold to the government also sucked. For example, hewlett packard sold a computer system to my department full of IP protections. After all, if your contract didn't prohibit it, then HP (or any other corporate vendor) saw each opportunity as a chance to make money. The computer came with a compiler so that we could write programs. But certain selected sections of the source code would be obscured! You want to see more? You have to pay a subscription fee to unlock the rest of the functionality. Yes, that is correct. It was so screwy and "jewish" of companies to twist contracts around into non-common sense situations. It sucks that contracts even have to spell out common sense items because if they didn't, the gov't would not be given any common sense features. You buy a door? Let's make sure to sell the door with a doorknob so terrible the gov't will pay an additional fee to re-work the doorknob with a new contract 6 months later to give us extra business and profit. <-- bad example to illustrate what privatization means.
>>
>>17587681
Luxury isn't synonymous with reliability. Lexus and Jap luxury makers are the exception and not the rule.

if you want a semi reliable BMW you'll be buying something from before vanos was introduced.
>>
>>17587681
lexus
>>
>>17587255
>Am i white trash for thinking about a loan to buy parts for my car?
If you can work your way up for a credit card from a low-rate credit union, then that is a better approach. If it has instant automatic withdrawel from your bank account to pay off the balance, then it becomes a sort of delayed action debit card. This works in your favor as your credit rating continues to improve, thus your insurance rates go down as the insurance company thinks you are a more reliable person that is not only solvent, but also regularly pays off all debits.

>>17587326
>Is a dirty/dingy looking engine bay a bad sign?
It just means the owner didn't clean the engine bay. I drove my pristine new car on a dirt road once and it was totally covered with dust inside. If I can then gone through rain, that water would would mixed with the dust to form a clinging grunge inside the engine bay. Of course, I cleaned the dust out and even vacuumed the covering underneath the hood. So it is nearly 3 years later and my engine bay still is pretty damn clean.

Every time I open the hood to check the oil, I will also wipe any dust off the plastic surfaces and other large areas. This incremental cleaning keeps dirt from building up and spreading.
>>
>>17576248
How many previous boyfriends is too many?
Answer: doesn't really matter as long as none of them are minorities
>>
>>17587644
>Are the warranties that used dealerships offer any good? And are those warranties you can buy separate any good? Or are are they all a scam essentially?

Lots of dealerships discourage you to use those warranties by charging an examination fee. In many cases, though not always, the fee is waived if there is a warranty problem. Stealerships love to do this even for the 3 year bumper to bumper warranty. They make more money doing the same job not under warranty coverage.

"There is no warranty problem detected. Please pay the examination fee."

"That is not covered in your warranty fine print"

"Normal wear and tear or abuse is not covered."

"Failure due to lack of maintenance is not covered. Where is your proof of maintenance?"

The shyster dealer deliberately miscriimps or scratches up something during the exam when you are not watching. "The car was improperly maintained. Problems created by improper maintenance are not covered."
>>
>>17576248
>How many previous owners is to many previous owners when you buy a used car?
It depends on the owners of course. If you assume all owners are "typical" then obviously, the more owners there are, the more chance you have of getting a hooner asshole.

Ignoring that100% of all car owners are exactly the same in how they treat cars, there are other situations in which owners have incentive to turn the car over many times.

One is that the car is a lemon. Some states have lemon laws with regulations that a car is a lemon if it has the same unfixed problem three times. Dealers circumvent the law by writing up a different problem each time the car is brought in to have that same problem fixed. I noticed how my stealership would write up a slightly different description that was broad enough to still include the problem for the new car.
>>
>>17584313
>What about in an automatic? Revving in neutral and throwing it in drive?
All types of revving an automatic (neutral dumping, brake dumping) are of little use if you don't have continuous grip with your tires. If you already have squealing tires goosing your accelerator pedal from a standing start, then revving and then dumping your automatic is of no use. You will still have a lack of traction. Once you get continuous grip tires, then you can consider a manual clutch dumping transmission. All you've done is add some incremental damage to your automatic without any benefit.
>>
File: 240_wew_lad.jpg (2MB, 3803x2847px) Image search: [Google]
240_wew_lad.jpg
2MB, 3803x2847px
>>17586617
>not 5 cylinders
>not pre '99
>not a wagon
into the trash it goes
>>
>>17585606
>Can someone explain to me how dealer inventories work?
Dealers have inventories on their lots. All the dealers are connected on a dealer network, so if the car isn't on their lot, another dealer might have it. Your dealer then orders that car shipped from that other dealer and that dealer adds on an overhead fee and transfers it to your dealer. They thus made a car sale but at low margin. But it's still a car sale. Your dealer splits the profit, so that's why your local dealer wants to make the sale from their lot inventory instead of for the specific car you want.

Occasionally, dealers have a badly configured car and the dealer that has that trash item will price it super low to get rid of it. All the other dealers then want to resell it to you since the profit is larger. For example, dealer A in arizona has a car with no A/C in it. He prices it below his true cost just to get rid of it. The other arizona dealers who had ignored it up to that point now will try to convince some schmuck to buy it because the profit margin is finally good enough to bother.

If local dealers don't have it, then the manufacturer has regional car lots (often next to railroad tracks) where cars gather up awaiting shipment to dealers in that region.

It's very important for Makes to have a strong dealer network. Strong dealers are able to carry large inventories and thus take a lot of the overhead off the manufacturer. It also provides faster order fulfillment to the customer so that the customer doesn't buy it from a different car company altogether.
>>
>>17588176
Kill yourself
>>
so I'm trying to get into car care and I know most of the basics, I ever sealed a hole in my exhaust manifold via seal tape (was happy with myself).

However I went to do an oil change and my sump plug nut is stripped to nothing; it's almost a perfect circle. I have a few questions
>do you have to unscrew your sump plug for an oil change (I'm assuming yes)
>what would be the best method to get it off? It's on tight as fuck. I was thinking either a vice clamp and hammer or maybe getting a ratchet wrench with a "tight" fitting that I'll seal to the sump nut with loctite. Which would be the better route?
>less likely to be answered but what would the labour cost for a mechanic to do an oil change if I've already got the filter and oil? $30? $50?
>>
>>17577029
Used gopro or another brand of action cam.
>>
File: 850_480.jpg (276KB, 1280x654px) Image search: [Google]
850_480.jpg
276KB, 1280x654px
>>17588212
>he thinks I'm wrong
>he still wants a chinese 4 banger
no u

>>17588300
>do u have to undo plug for oil change?
no, you could get one of those old man fluid pumps, just stick it in the dipstick tube
>best method
*vice grips/hammer
*jb weld new nut or crappy socket to old plug
*score plug with file hacksaw blade or dremel, use really big screwdriver to loosen
>assuming a quick lube shop will touch this
they break things not fix them
>do i get a discount for bringing my own consumables?
no
>>
>>17588393
Thanks man, I have a dremel laying around I'll give the scoring method a try. I have a new sump plug to go I just can't get this fucker off.
>>
>>17588430
honestly if it's that rounded and torqued on you may want to use vicegrips on the screwdriver shank for extra leverage
also the pan threads themselves may be toast
>you don't get that rounded from using hand tools
>unless OP was an absolute jamoke AND used an adjustable wrench every time it was removed
>and had parkinson's
may be time to tap a new plug hole or replace pan
alternate option: helicoils
>>
>>17588475
That's a good idea. I'll swing by the auto shop after work. It's an old '99 Honda HR-V and although not the prettiest or nicest car, she's never let me down and refuses to die. I figure I should probably actually take care of her seeing as she's almost 20.
>>
>>17587927
Is it safe to take a water hose or pressure washer to wash off the engine bay?
>>
File: mazda6.jpg (144KB, 940x424px) Image search: [Google]
mazda6.jpg
144KB, 940x424px
Is this actually good? I just want a fun daily with good emm pee gee.
>>
>>17588630
The answer is always "NO" when both the car and the level of common sense of the person asking is not known. It is possible to cause problems with that water hose.
>>
Are either the Volkswagen passat or jetta reliable cars?
>>
Are Dusters any good? I have a friend who wants one but I feel like I should stop her.
>>
What would be a fair price for a FB RX7 GSL-SE or an FC RX7? Looking into buying one in the near future.
>>
File: IMG_20170723_202052.jpg (356KB, 1080x565px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170723_202052.jpg
356KB, 1080x565px
Which Fiat is this?
>>
File: 1443898887336.jpg (30KB, 450x432px) Image search: [Google]
1443898887336.jpg
30KB, 450x432px
>>17588672
>volkswagen
>reliable
nah

>>17588694
>SUV version of logan platform
>basically a big dacia sandero
>bitty engine with big turbo OR 2.0 ethanol OR turbodiesels
>symmetrical 4wd
i see nothing wrong with this
>>
>>17588767
>>volkswagen
>>reliable
my old polo has been perfect for 3 years while my dads 2008 corolla needed many expensive repairs to it
>>
>>17588762

500L. It's written on the back aswell.

Prego.
>>
>>17588767
>
>>17588694

Romanian reporting in.
The Duster is basically an old Clio on stilts.
No real reliability issues.
Avoid the 1.6L petrol as it is useless.
The 1.2L is good for city driving but that's about it.
The 1.5dci is the most balanced engine
Things to watch out for :
>The paint is not galvanized. Due to cost reasons, the paint is not galvanized so it may rust in as short as 2-3 years. Check the car for rust
>Avoid the half-leather eco whatever upholstery. It's very bad, smelly and sweaty.

It's a decent car for the money.
>>
>>17586861

Also, bump on my question.
>>
>>17588785
oh is it anecdote time? okay
>seen friends 90's vw passat die from engine sludge
rigorously maintained, just poor engine design like stratuses
>uncle had a mid 80's rabbit, constant fuel problems
>dad had a '68 bus, electrical problems everywhere
>friend has a '69(?)bus, constant distributor problems
they're usually easy to fix which is good since they break so often
>one good one
>grill had an early 90's golf
held up well until it got t-boned
>>
I had a buddy of mine do a compression test on my engine and it varied from 12 to 13 bars (175-190 PSI).
Is that alright?
What compression do brand new engines have?
>>
>>17588810
>a modern day jimny
>with turbodiesel option
>but you have to paint it immediately
i want this.
>>
>>17588863
it varies from engine to engine,
look up your specific values on the googles
>>
>>17579219
I think you are thinking of the pre unibody corvettes (53-82((75 technically since that was the last year for convertibles)))

They have a boxed frame and a steel "birdcage around the interior and the rest is fiberglass that doesn't really "carry load" so much as its just loosely attached so it doesn't crack when the frame flexes

Architecturally they're closer to a C10 than a current corvette
>>
>>17588940
There isn't anything, the engine is the 2E (Toyota)
>>
>>17586861
almost on same spot here lad
bumping both >>17585151
>>
File: 1992-chevrolet-caprice-2.jpg (288KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1992-chevrolet-caprice-2.jpg
288KB, 1024x768px
How is the Caprice as a summer cruiser? I have a 95 Thunderbird now but 2 doors isn't that fun with hauling me and my friends everywhere. The lt1 engine seems nice but the optispark sounds like a nightmare.
>>
So my check engine light has been coming on intermittently and every time it comes on I hear a bunch of bubbling coming from the coolant reservoir. I just flushed and replaced the coolant a few months ago so it shouldn't be bad already right?
>>
>>17589231
The ECU doesn't know if the coolant is bad, it only monitors the combustion part, ie from where the air comes in and the exhaust leaves. Get a $2 ebay scanner
>>
>>17583432
>I am trying to think of a car that would let me watch anime
That's illegal in pretty much every USA state. In my state of washington, that is not only illegal, but if an officer sees that you have a video (media) display that can be seen by the driver, he can issue a citation to you. If the device is turned on, that changes to an EDUI (electronic DUI) which is also mandatorily reported to your insurance company as one of the DUI-series of citations.

Currently, a DUI conviction can affect your entry into Canada at the washington state border crossing with an automatic "NO" for up to ten years. There is a way around it, but it is more trouble. If you are a citizen, you are allowed to re-enter the USA with a DUI series conviction on your record. But re-entry (different from entry) can be denied in a number of cases if the person is not a citizen.

Currently, the canadian border crossing rules have not been changed for EDUI as that is a recently legal change that was fast tracked through the legislature and approved by the governor this year.
>>
>>17589279
What you are saying is literally retarded and I am disinclined to believe you for one reason: that law would make driving a lot of newer cars illegal because of the huge infotainment system stuck in the dash.
>>
How do you circumvent a steering wheel lock? I'm not a nigger I promise
>>
>>17589447
Pulling the steering wheel and removing the mechanism.
>>
>>17589340
Most infotainment systems lock the controls to a limited set of functions if the car is in motion.
>>
>>17585697
If you have a leaf spring set up that's not rigid enough, you'll get axle wrap, and wheel hop, which will destroy the ring and pinion.
>>
>>17588978
From C5 on corvettes were designed to be convertibles from the get go IIRC
>>
My car alarm goes off whenever I arm it, and I think one of my open door sensors is fucked.
Is there an easy fix for this?
>>
>>17589506
Pull the fuse for the car alarm or find the wires to the speaker and pull it.
>>
>>17589506
Buy new door sensors and cry when that inevitably doesn't fix the problem
>>
>>17589461
And what Anon said didn't mention that as a factor. He said a video display in view of the driver.

What about GPS?
>>
Is there a stat or spec that tells us the useable torque amd horsepower throughout the cars specific rev range and gearing?

Im asking because i always thought that higher torque and hp meant faster car. But then i started hearing about some cars with lower torque and hp but winning races against higher torque hp cars.

So is there a "stat" that tells us how efficient a car is at useing its torque and hp through out its gears?
>>
im looking to put an LED kit inside my car but im not sure which brand is best. any suggestions> or are most of them ok
>>
Any tips on how to sell a shitty and rusty car? The engine works just fine, but that's pretty much it. I put it on Craigslist for next to nothing and all I get is retards that don't read the ad nor look at the pics and just waste my time. If it wasn't sort of a collector car I would just haul it off to the scrapper, but I still would like in the very least see parts from it used to fix up other cars.
>>
>>17590159
eBay stating the engine is in good nick?
>>
>>17590159
maybe find a fb group that focuses on that car.
>>
File: 1480297193609.jpg (53KB, 500x509px) Image search: [Google]
1480297193609.jpg
53KB, 500x509px
>>17588980
>literally can't type
>toyota 2E compression
>into a google search box
>https://www.2carpros.com/questions/toyota-corolla-1998-toyota-corolla-combustion-chamber-pressure
>literally second result after wikipedia page
what's it like being retarded?
>>
>>17589910
Taking the integral of horsepower on a dyno plot could tell you something but there is no work for that.

The acceleration of a car is highly dependent on gearing and there is no metric to describe how usable the entire system is going to be.
>>
>>17589910
>what are dyno graphs?
>what do you mean torque and HP converge?

>>17589980
>I want to beam a technicolor yawn out of my windows at night
the cheaper the better my man so u can afford more lumens
>>
>>17590257
I'm afraid I'd get even less money from fleabay.
>>17590278
I posted it on a forum that specialized in these cars, but no bites yet.
>>
>>17587061
If you don't have a dremel, invest in one as soon as you can. Even a cheap one. They're great
>>
>>17589340
You need reading comprehension lessons or you lack experience with the latest cars.
There is a difference between car feature touch screens and media players. On top of that, the newest cars that do have video media screens for the driver will turn off those videos for the driver. So all the car functions, one finger phone, and one finger USB/audio features remain. But no more bluray or dvd video remains viewable by the driver unless PARK is engaged.
>>
How hard is it to replace a clutch on a v6 camry? Some guy wants 1500 for a very clean 01 v6 5 speed camry, normally I'd jump on that shit immediately but it has big ***NEEDS CLUTCH*** tags on the ad.

It must be a huge pain in the ass, otherwise he'd just do it himself or have a shop do it and keep the car, right?
>>
>>17589544
>What about GPS?
I looked up what Anon said as he specifically said it was for the state of washington. The new law there goes into effect this july. So it's in play.

The law removes a lot of the vagueness that cellphone and texters use as alibi. If you are holding a cellphone, that is a citation. It covers cellphone use even when parked at a traffic light or stop sign. If you are not officially parked in the parking lot or side of the road, then holding a phone qualifies as use of cellphone when driving for DUI (driving under influence) law.

The DUI law originally covered alcohol. When washington voters made marijuana legal, it was added to the DUI law as an extension. The latest mod to the DUI status law was to add electronics. Driving under the influence of electronics is thus an EDUI.

Covered under EDUI are specific exemptions. Law enforcement and emergency services are exempt. OEM car systems are exempt as they meet federal and state requirements for one finger control. 3rd party GPS units that are mounted for one finger control are allowed. But you cannot hold the unit to push buttons as that is more than one finger. Basically, if you are holding electronics, you can be cited.

I think it is a good law and my state should copycat washington's law. Too many cars weave in their lane while talking on phones.
>>
So should you ALWAYS NEVER buy a title less car?
>>
>>17590567
>edui
what the actual fuck
i agree people need to stay off their phones while driving but that sounds idiotic and impossible to enforce. What about people messing with in-dash navigation?

Driving any car built after like 2009 would invariably be "driving under the influence of an electronic device" because THE ENTIRE CAR IS.

What a fucking stupid law. Fuck Washington and fuck you.
>>
>>17579196
i have a boosted b18c5 swapped del sol. its pretty metal.
>>
>>17590666
unless you plan to use it as parts car it's a terrible idea
even then it opens up some liabilities but that's NBD if you're not a dindu without cops nosing about
especially if you take the plates off
>>
>>17590549
call a shop get some quotes
but it's probably like this
>be casual auto owner
>have decent shitbox, worth about $2-3k
>clutch goes out
>repair cost is $1.5k
>decide to sell for half price
>and put money towards new car
>>
>>17590789
I figured as much. I wanted a 500 dollar beater to romp around in this winter so I can garage my nicer cars. I know you can do a bill of sale to protect yourself and file for a lost title, but then the question is why doesn't the owner do the lost title thing?

Oh well
>>
File: file.png (2MB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
2MB, 1024x768px
where can i find a y-pipe/collector for an E30 325i that goes from 1.75" to 2.5"?

I'm on summit racing and the prices are a bit out there, almost more than a muffler cost. I do have a HF welder I wouldn't mind trying my hand at making one since I know oreilly's has a 1-1 adapter but i need 2-1 because it's dual exhaust pipes from header
>>
What is a decent dash cam that i can buy for my mom?
>>
>>17590872
>but then the question is why doesn't the owner do the lost title thing?
because it's stolen
they're always stolen
i'm not telling you to take the plates off for your health
>inb4 it was my brothers/moms/dads/sisters/hamsters DD
transferring titles between family members is cheap AF in most states
>>
>>17590881
most muffler shops could fab and install this for you for $250
probably less, call and get some local quotes
>>
Why does this board have so many fucking errors? Are you all pretentious, stupid faggots?
All this portrayal of supperioriry, and you all always make fools of yourselves while shitting on others.
>>
File: jihad_cummy.png (743KB, 1118x854px) Image search: [Google]
jihad_cummy.png
743KB, 1118x854px
>>17591058
>what is 4chins?
this is an entertainment site newfriend
get with the bantz and shitposting
>>
>>17590549
Clutch jobs are always a pain in the ass doubly so for transverse engines.
>>
>>17590756
>What about people messing with in-dash navigation?

My GPS responds to voice command, and its becoming the norm.

It should be noted the general legal attitude is that you should pull over to the side of the road if you're doing anything other than driving, so it'll be seen as a piss poor excuse to be driving and messing with anything else other than the steering wheel.
>>
I want to pretend like I dd a beater rally car every day, Japanese, with at least one cylinders, what are my prime options?

I was thinking v6 camry, v6 accord, but I didn't think much beyond that
>>
>>17588630
>>17588660
Check this video bit long but it does a good job of explaining how to clean an engine bay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRSoRkM8GcM
>>
>>17584559
>BMWs are *cough*, "high performance machines".

Currently, BMW is in the process of denying claims by both Volkswagon Auto Group and Daimler that BMW also colluded in trying to trick emissions tests.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2017/07/24/business/bmw-denies-colluding-german-peers-diesel-emissions-claimed-vw-daimler/
>>
>>17590756
>that sounds idiotic and impossible to enforce.
That's why the law was drafted to address the enforcement situation for a problem that clearly exists. Many people continue to use cellphones while driving and kept on using all sorts of excuses to weasel their way out of tickets. That included the excuse of "I wasn't using the phone, I was only holding it to my ear (nya nya you can't prove otherwise)".

>>17590756
>What about people messing with in-dash navigation?
That is legal since OEM navigation is done with one-finger or with voice control. Both are legal under the law. If you can do it with one finger, then you can do it. If you have to hold the device in order to use it, then that is not one finger.

Due to people texting while holding the phone in their lap, all forms of holding the phone result in citation unless you are using the phone to report an emergency situation such as reporting a road rager, an accident, etc. Using a phone to save lives has always been an approved activity.

>>17591268
>It should be noted the general legal attitude is that you should pull over to the side of the road if you're doing anything other than driving
Despite that, the law still allows people to operate devices with one finger. But it now has to be firmly fastened to the dash. No more holding phones or operating them in your lap. If it is touched by more than one finger, the state will give you the finger.

Of course, no watching movies while driving. Your passengers can watch, but their movie displays must be such that the driver cannot see them. Some people continue to object to this, but such people will never be satisfied with anything other than anarchy (no laws regulating freedom to do as they please as sovereign citizens).
>>
anyone know how to sound deaden econoboxes to make them tolerable on highways?
Thread posts: 321
Thread images: 39

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.