[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Will motorsports ever be this exciting again? https://www.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 7

File: 1453830933906.jpg (85KB, 634x418px) Image search: [Google]
1453830933906.jpg
85KB, 634x418px
Will motorsports ever be this exciting again?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMoh5hZAaZk
>>
>magnesium frame

JUST
>>
it already is and has been. Motorsport is more than just crashing.
>>
I don't watch and I certainly don't participate in motorsports for the wrecks. Almost all types of racecars are way faster than they ever were and at the same time much, much safer.
>>
>>14319693
>faster
>safer
>less exciting
doesn't mean we *need* the third one for the first two to occur
>>
>people dying horribly at a sporting event
>exciting
/r9k/ pls go
>>
>>14319706

Motorsports wrecks aren't exciting. If you mean better racing action then blame it on the series. F1 is pretty boring. I mostly stick to rally racing, DTM, V8 Supercars, most road racing is pretty exciting whether it's Continental Tire, American Le Mans, endurance racing, or spec racing. Of course racing is completely different when you're actually there in the pits as a spectator, volunteer, or team member. And then of course even more so when you're a competitor.
>>
>>14319317
Motorsports are never as exciting as people like to think, it gets stuck up in alot of glamour and tales of legendary drivers battling it out when in reality there will probably only be a few decisive moves that matter being made in a race. People like to think that F1 was better in the past or anyother motorsports for that matter, but most of the time they've only been watching a few highlight reels showcasing the best moments of that season on youtube, try watching a full F1 race say something like Monaco in 1991 from to start to finish, it wont be that interesting as you think really.
>>
>>14319816

This. It's largely nostalgia. And confusing the fact that at a certain point many types of racing were forgiving enough that a driver could build a competitive car or at least a somewhat competitive car in their shed with friends with excitement.
>>
Love the pit crew

>car pulls in
>casually start walking around it to see what the driver wants
>>
File: 1433893044124.jpg (495KB, 1500x1094px) Image search: [Google]
1433893044124.jpg
495KB, 1500x1094px
>>14319816
Drag racing and Monster trucks is pretty exciting. You get to watch the entire thing from your seat.
>>
>>14319763
I can't watch rally racing, it's too boring to watch one guy doing down a road, though he is going fast. It would be really exciting with multiple cars at once, but the courses they run on aren't meant for such and it would be far too dangerous.
>>
>>14319317
I never got why people thought that was a good idea to be so close.
It usually takes people to die for even common sense shit to be implemented.

>dat magnesium fire
>trying to use lol fire extinguishers
>using holocaust unironically within a decade after the second world war
>not red flagging the race
>Mercedes cucked by themselves

What else did I miss?
>>
Motorsports was men gambling with their lives. There was real risk involved.

Now its just a bunch of pussies. Nobody thinks "there is a good chance this will kill me today" before they get into their car.

Back then it was more than a technical challenge, it was an existential challenge.
>>
>>14319816
>>14319876
People who didn't watch racing in the 90's detected.
>>
>>14319317

I've reported this thread to the mods and to the SJWs at tumblr.

NO FUN ALLOWED. Expect a visit from the safety police. You done goofyed.
>>
>>14321901
*tips fedora from arm chair*

get in a real race car without a cage and a helmet and get back to us.
>>
>>14321955
>everybody is a pussy like me
>must be so
>please be so

kek
>>
>>14321901
Right but it was only that way because speed and safety couldn't be had at the same time since engineering and manufacturing methods back then were shit compared with what we have today.

If any one of those drivers could have been in a car that was just as fast as the others but offered much better protection, they would do it in a second.
>>
>>14322025
Not that anon but being smart about something doesn't make you a pussy.

I ride a motorcycle, I would know.
>>
>>14322025
Right, so you've never been on a race track, got it. Thanks for sharing.
>>
>>14322025
Why does wanting to not die make you a pussy if you're still risking your life, just slightly less so?
>>
>>14322054
Honestly, considering the attitudes of the time I bet most if not all would scoff at safety.

I'm still for it though. Here are two good reasons:
1) I don't like seeing people die or get hurt like most other people
2) I want to see good racing. If the drivers keep dying you lose talent.

So even if you disagree with me on the first point my second still shows safety is better.
>>
>>14322062
There is being smart. Like slowing cars down when construction equipment is on the track removing a car. Bianchi died for a stupid reason.

Then there is eliminating corners, slowing the cars down through technical restriction and super safety tilke tracks. This shit is cancer.

Build the safest cars you can. Line the track with safer barrier. make runoffs. But don't for a fucking second put a chicane on a straight because cars will go too fast. Or flatten out the corkscrew because its dangerous.
>>
File: le mans 2012 wreck.jpg (56KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
le mans 2012 wreck.jpg
56KB, 800x450px
>>14321901
boy you sure are fucking stupid
>>
>>14322068
>thinks this means anything.

more keking ensues
>>
>>14322094
if they scoffed at safety there wouldn't be safety... the drivers are the ones who forced the changes.
>>
>>14322054
>speed and safety couldn't be had at the same time since engineering and manufacturing methods back then were shit compared with what we have today.

You're taking away a lot of credit. Those guys still could machine and fabricate very intricate parts.
A roll cage would have been child's play. Same with seatbelts.
They were capable of doing both at the same time. Hell, a lot of safety and performance stuff came from aviation.
>>
>>14322119
Not at that point in time.
The efforts of Jackie Stewart was the big catalyst for change. (I think)
>>
>>14322120
youre fucking retarded.
>>
"racing sucks now cuz the drivers don't die xD"

t. forza racer
>>
>>
>>14322097
Anon you replied to: yup, I agree with everything.

That fucking speed restriction on the burger ring because of one stupid fuck spectator dying is uber cancer. The faggot was not where he was supposed to be.
>>
>>14322145
Brilliant rebuttal good sir!
You have soundly trumped me with irrefutable evidence :^)
>>
>>14322156
>>14322076
>>14319708

Nobody is forcing anybody to drive. If you are too much of a pussy to take the risk, sit at home and play forza.

do you infants understand why men join the military and ask for infantry service?
>>
>>14322206
yes keyboard warrior you are surely a real man
>>
>>14322225
I bet the girls really get all hot and bothered over your avoidance of risk.

>Oh anon is so sexy, did you know he drives under the speed limit?
>>
>>14322206
Ironically it's statistically more dangerous being a fat fuck playing forza

And most "men" join the military because they're either welfare queens or cannon fodder :^)
>>
>>14322273
and yet i actually race cars among other things while you pretend to be a tough guy online.
>>
>people dying is exciting

Fucking christ, he's not even trying to hide his underage opinions
>>
>>14322413

>do X job for the government
>get paid to do job

>lmfao welfare queens xDD
>>
>>14322206
Are you seriously equating being a racecar driver to being an infantryman?

Do you even know how retarded you sound right now?

Do you know what infantrymen do? They shoot people. And get expected to be shot back. Killing is part of what an infantryman has to do.

Racecar drivers don't expect to die, and they shouldn't, because its fucking barbaric to expect people who race cars for fun or money to try to kill each other for your amusement.
>>
>>14320132
but its two guys lad :^)
>>
>>14322517
It's beyond pay. The two people I know personally who joined the military did it for the myriad of benefits.
>housing for a family of four, free
>multi thousand dollar bonuses
>free healthcare
>more bullshit bonuses

The list keeps going
>>
>>14319482
>magnesium
>not having a cesium body and chassis
>>
>>14319482
>Partially
>>
File: 1451945837221.webm (3MB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
1451945837221.webm
3MB, 800x450px
>>
File: 1435614489336.gif (1MB, 277x157px) Image search: [Google]
1435614489336.gif
1MB, 277x157px
>>14325375
>>
File: 1427404381024.jpg (67KB, 862x648px) Image search: [Google]
1427404381024.jpg
67KB, 862x648px
>>14325378
>>
A hill climb series with touge rules would probably be fun to watch, though it could get boring if one pulls really far ahead of the either.

>standard scca/fia hill climb rules
>cars start bumper to bumper
>leader/follower chosen by lowest practice/qualifying time of the two
>exciting racing up hill climb as long as one doesn't pull too far ahead
>>
It is still exciting.
https://youtu.be/LU-ynRoqDEs
>>
>>14323963
>cesium
You plan on making a clock?
>oh and irradiating people
>>14320063
Oh the humanity!
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.