[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how do i rev match?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 10

File: 1447199378773.jpg (64KB, 659x535px) Image search: [Google]
1447199378773.jpg
64KB, 659x535px
how do i rev match?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baMkgVjpgiI
>>
>>14282834
Blip the throttle. Say in 4th gear going 40mph your rpms sit at 2k than in neutral you rev it to 2k and you shift into 4th. Repeat for the rest of the gears. Congrats you now know how to rev match
>>
>>14282851
Shift from 4th to 4th?
Blip the throttle...you read that somewhere but have no idea what that means.
>>
so...
>clutch in
>lower gear
>blip gas
>slowly release clutch
Is this right? or blip gas before lowering gear?
>>
>>14282851
wut

>>14282834
>Be in gear, let's say 4th gear.
>Want to downshift into 3rd gear?
>Push in clutch, blip throttle.
>Quickly shift to 3rd.
>Release clutch.

You will get the hang of it with practice.
>>
>>14282890
I thought you blip gas after shifting to lower gear
>>
File: 1443659315882.jpg (12KB, 500x297px) Image search: [Google]
1443659315882.jpg
12KB, 500x297px
>ITT: /o/ learns to manuel
>>
>>14282834
Don't overthink things. Just practice it whenever you can. Even if it's not a great downshift, you're still wearing your synchros less than if you didn't bother at all (as some don't).
>>
>>14282876
>>14282887
You guys are fucking retarded, what im saying is if in [ insert gear here] your RPMs sit at [ insert RPM here] at [ insert MPH here] that means if you ever want to shift into a certain gear going a certain speed you must match the Speed with the corresponding gear and the corresponding RPM.
I.g. if im cruising down the highway in 6th gear, going 40mph, and i want to shift into fourth. I know that in 4th gear going 40mph my RPMs sit at 2.5k so i must shift to neutral (from 5th) and rev my car to 2.5k RPM and put it into 4th gear. Get it now?
>>
>>14282887
>clutch
>neutral
>tap gas
>lower gear
>pop clutch
when you master it people won't even know you downshifted when they are in your car
>>
>>14282901
Are you retarded? You think the gear can shift into 1st gear with the clutch put in simply because the clutch is in at 60 mph?
>>
>>14282901
Why would you do that?
No. You push in clutch (putting you into neutral) then with the clutch pressed down you blip the throttle while simultaneously downshifting and then release the clutch.
It should be one smooth motion.
>>
>>14282916
Nigga what the fuck are you even talking about? You trying to blow up your transmission?
>>
Holy shit here /o/ goes again arguing over literally nothing.
>>
>>14282923
Are you fucking retarded? Nothing? Read the dam thread fuccboi
>>
File: 1443244770751.jpg (37KB, 503x485px) Image search: [Google]
1443244770751.jpg
37KB, 503x485px
You know, for all the supposed love we have for manuals, these threads always make it embarrassingly obvious how bad most people are at driving manuals.
>>
>>14282912
>6th gear
>40mph
>all that other equally autistic shit you're saying

Are you high??
>>
>>14282934
Most everyone in the world is terrible at it.
Even people that have been doing it daily for 30 years.
People are retarded. /o/ is no exception.
>>
>>14282921
Do you not understand sarcasm?
I'm not even the person you're responding to but god damn do you sound stupid.
>>
>>14282939
> what is sudden increase in traffic
>>
File: 20140831160838aeed4-115647.jpg (15KB, 450x300px) Image search: [Google]
20140831160838aeed4-115647.jpg
15KB, 450x300px
>>14282962
friend....I'm not even the guy you're arguing with...but that's clearly bait to fuel this thread and you ate it hook line and sinker

a word of advice, when threads like this pop up, don't try and argue
>>
>>14282934
I'm convinced that it's like 5% of the board that is retarded and starts threads like this. Then other retards come and try and explain to them how to drive, but fail because text alone is really shitty for explaining concepts like the intricacy of driving manual.
>>
>>14282834

Know the gear spacing on your car and move it into gear when your engine speed (flywhee) matches your speedometer.
>>
>>14282962
You sound fucking dumb as fuck for even responding to that. Goddamn, some people just really need to stroke their ego.
>>
>>14282990
>>14283008
The fuck you are you idiots even saying? If you're going 60, push the clutch in, going into first gear will fuck your shit up. Just because you put the clutch in doesn't mean you can switch switch into any gear as if the car is in neutral.
>>
This thread is giving me cancer. This is manual superiority? This thread is literally the exact reason why automatics were invented.

>>14283029
You dumb bastard, no fucking shit you can't dump it into any gear. They're talking about the troll, not manuals. Fucking hell, how bad is comprehension on this board?
>>
>>14282901
You clutch, shift and blip all at the same time.
>>
>>14282912
>>14282999

These are the only exact answers. Everybody else is arguing over symantics but not understanding how they are coming to their varrying conclusions.

Copy paste that last paragraph into every other thread on /o/ that with continue to do this.
>>
>>14282994
Well it's a good thing this is an image board, and we can post links to videos to better explain the text.
Too bad nobody does that except maybe >>14282850 this guy. Didn't bother to open the video so no idea if it's good or not
>>
File: 1423714850260.jpg (11KB, 392x243px) Image search: [Google]
1423714850260.jpg
11KB, 392x243px
>>14284920
I'm sorry mate I failed you and posted a video of spongebob dubbed over with a v8 supercar driver

I asked /o/ the same question and didn't get many good responses. I took to google, youtube, and my autistic friend who drives manual.
>>
>M4 rev matches for me

:^)
>>
>>14282939
>sits in lower gears at all times
Laughing girls.jpg
>>
>clutch in, shift down
>at the same time, while the clutch is in, hit the gas enough so that the RPM shoots up, until it hits the RPM you'll end up being in when you release the clutch.

>2000 rpm in higher gear
>2900 rpm in lower gear
>while shifting (clutch pedal down), hit the gas so it hits 2900-ish rpm
>>
>>14282887
You have to blip the gas to match whatever revs you're at in that gear in that speed, it takes awhile to get it right and its different for each car, so no one will be able to tell you it exactly. Some cars have it in the owners manual(mine didn't) or you might be able to find it online, but the best way is to remember what speeds your att what rpm your at in what gear.
>>
>>14282934
This, I just started a couple months ago and some of the shit I read on here just befuddles me. Its like the majority of /o/ has never touched a car
>>
File: tumblr_nlsue9jbm31u38fl1o1_400.gif (1MB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nlsue9jbm31u38fl1o1_400.gif
1MB, 400x225px
>>14282887
Do what takumi does.
this is what I do when I'm on canyons.

>Brake(I Prefer Braking first a tiny bit so that engine can help brake too)
>clutch
>gas(with heel if you wanna maintain your braking, the amount of gas you need is up to your car)
>Immediately after rev match shift then let go of clutch
>>
>>14282834
Smash the gas and clutch at the same time then slam the gear from X to Y and let out the clutch.
>>
>>14282834
Gas to floor, bangshift to higher gear.
Only really works on some gears due to H patterns
>>
I rev match to get into 1st, which has bad synchros in my car.

1) clutch on
2) go to neutral
3) clutch off
4) make the rpm's go to what they will be in the gear you want to be in. Do this by either pushing the throttle or letting off the throttle, depending on your situation and shift up/down decision.
5) clutch on again
6) shift :D
7) clutch off again

It takes more to explain it then to just practice until you can.

BTW, y'all are benises
>>
>>14282834
Just match the speed of the engine to speed of the tranny

Don't heel toe unless you're doing a hard stop or you will likely stomp the brake or drop the clutch
>>
The brake and gas pedals in my GLI are too close together for even my manlet feet to heel toe. I have to split my foot longitudinally between them.
>>
>>14282934
this is /o/, people here probably play forza horizon 2 with their 'buddies' and think they're pro drivers

my father taught me how to drive manual when i was 6 or 7 years old and it's stuck with me ever since.
I drove my parents cars a few times in my teens and he was surprised how well I could rev match by instinct without even being instructed to do so.

I guess playing racing games all my life helped too.
>>
>>14285513
>>14282851
>>14282915
>>14285513

These suggest never letting off the clutch while in neutral. If you do this, the synchros of the transmission will deteriorate faster than they should because they are never brought up to speed. Without letting off the clutch, the clutch is going the right speed but the driveshaft gear speed still doesn't match the clutch driven gear speed. For example, using these bad approaches, you will not be able to shift into a gear if the rpm difference is greater than the synchro can handle, i.e. going 5th @ 24krpm -> 2nd @ 6k rpm will end in the shift knob not moving into 2nd. Of course you would never do this, but it's an experiment that proves my point.
>>
>>14286631
inb4 2.4krpm not 24krpm
>>
>>14286631
Do you not know what the fuck synchros are
>>
>>14286668
Obviously you don't if you're questioning the proper way of doing things.
>>
>>14286684
Obviously you don't if you're a tard who takes unnecessary steps because he doesn't understand how transmissions work.
>>
>>14286684
>if I call it the proper way to do something then I don't have to defend my stupid bullshit
It's "the proper way" if you're driving a truck from the 60s, double clutching on any car with synchros is redundant
>>
>>14286695
You don't know the difference between what you can do to a transmission and what you should do. Do you drive a car expecting it to be the next guy's problem to repair the transmission?
>>
>>14286705
Okay so I'm just going to confirm you don't know how synchros work then. Double clutching is completely unnecessary if you're rev matching correctly
>>
>>14286718
Yes, let synchros do everything for you. Why are you rev matching in the first place if the synchros are there to help you? Rev matching without double clutching doesn't help you shift in any way.
>>
>>14286718
Not to mention you probably don't notice the difference in shift time you get with double clutching. You can't just force a synchro to mesh right away, it takes its time.
>>
>>14286748
Yes, confirmed retarded.
>>
>>14286765
go test it out buddy; your commute times will thank you.
>>
>>14286765
Your burned clutch also hates you for your improper engine aided braking.
>>
>>14286560
this guy got it
>>
all these fucking techniques on changing a fucking gear and people still have the nerve to say that learning manual is easy? top kek
>>
>>14287555
When I bought my first car it was a manual; first time I drove manual was getting it home after purchase. Took me less than 20 minutes to get the hang of it. Don't be afraid.
>>
>>14287591
Mind you I was on busy roads from the start, so my learning curve was [i]ride or die[/i].
>>
>>14287555
sucks to be retarded american
>>
>>14282834
>start I neutral
>rev the engine as high as it will go
>smash it in to first gear
>now back off the clutch until you feal it start to bite
>hold in the clutch while its biting for a second
>then drop the clutch and letter rip!
>
>>
>>14287621
> how to launch
good sir, you are a champ.
>>
File: porsche-gt1-race-car-flips-o.gif (3MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
porsche-gt1-race-car-flips-o.gif
3MB, 320x240px
>>14286718

Discuss.
>>
>>14282834
>his synchro is broken
>>
File: 1417394665825.png (370KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1417394665825.png
370KB, 600x600px
is it that hard

>Random Shitbox A goes 5000 RPMs at 50mph which happens to be the start of its power band
>Entering corner in 4th at 80mph and brake down to 50mph, now I'm out of the powerband which is bad
>Shifting directly down to 3rd forces the engine to catch up making an ugly shift
>Instead depress clutch, tap gas to get the engine to rev to 5000RPMs then release clutch as usual
>There should be no momentum change, no weight transfers, we are now happy and not leaving the road

Is it that hard
>>
>>14287736
shitboxes don't have synchros
>>
>press sport plus button
>automatic rev matching enabled

Win.
>>
ITT: people who have never driven stick explaining how to drive stick to people who have never driven at all.
>>
File: 1395191122385.jpg (17KB, 243x264px) Image search: [Google]
1395191122385.jpg
17KB, 243x264px
lets see how good you guys are at driving manual

what country do you have a license in ?
How do you guys take off fast from a stop quickly?

just curious
>>
>>14282834

OP here.

I decided to come back and review all of the answers:

>>14282912
>>14282999

Only TWO posts accurately described what rev matching is, and the rest of the thread spewed out random hogshit that isn't in any way universal.

RPMs and MPH aren't cheat codes applicable to every car.

Rev matching is synching the harmonics of where of how fast your flywheel is rotating (rpm) with how fast whatever gear you are moving to is (rpm).

When /o/ gets a driver's license or snaps a clutch fork or pressure plate strap, then it will hopefully remember WHAT rev matching is and not button mash.

Also, respect the trips when it blesses you with knowledge.
>>
>ITT retards that don't know the difference between Rev-Matching and Double-Clutching.
>>
>>14288868
USA; slip the clutch like normal then floor it once my foot is off the clutch

I might be wrong, I taught myself how to drive stick and I've only been at it for a year.
>>
>>14288868
>fast from a stop quickl

I don't always drive fast. But when I do, I drive quickly.
>>
holy fuck m8s, this is the glorious manual masterrace? 90% of you fuckers should not be anywhere near a manual.
>>
>>14289713
I haven't driven a manuel since I wrecked the '87 poonstang, but you drop the fucking clutch at half throttle, modulate until the tires hook, and then power shift till the engine explodes... or you hit a light pole.
>>
>>14289713
>90% of you fuckers should not be anywhere near a manual

what's funny is that the 10% who can drive a manual know the limitations of a manual and often will advocate for automatics in certain situations
>>
>>14289753
Are there only 10 people here?
>>
The autism. It hurts. Fucking kill all of yourselves
>>
>rpms this
>rpms that
>watch your rpms

You don't have to stare at your tachometer and do all these mental calculations. Driving is intuitive; learn to drive your car by feeling.

Listen, OP. Here's what you do (6-speed as example):

Turn off your radio. Get all the way up to 6th. Hear how loud your engine's working? OK. Remember that.

>clutch in
>shift to 5th
>give it enough gas to make it louder than it was in 6th
>let off clutch
>rinse and repeat

Faster you go, louder it gets going down each gear. When you get used to your car, you can do it by feeling rather than sound.
>>
>>14290073
This does NOT mean you should be revving your engine to redline for each gear to be as loud as possible. That's just obnoxious.

I guess a better way to phrase it would be: make your engine work a little harder than it did in the higher gear.
>>
>>14290073
Best answer.

Just don't over rev it. It not as complicated as it sounds OP, i recommend practicing going from 4th to 3th gear (assuming your car has 5 or 6 six gears.) since that is the easiest one, downshifting from 3th to 2nd is the best feeling but it takes a little more practice to get smoothly. Don't be scared of actually trying it out, if you do one wrong its not gonna break anything. Just don't practice on normal traffic though.
>>
>>14287770
>cvt
>>
>>14290073
>muh feels
>muh sounds
poorfags excuses for not having proper sound dampening and suspension.
>>
>>14286560
>double clutching
what a waste of time
This is slow and unnecessary
>>
>>14286748
Rev matching still prevents disturbing your traction and reduces wear on your clutch, you colossal retard
>>
can someone just post a credible source instead of posting their own shit
>>
>>14290687
think about how a clutch system actually works and what rev matching is. Post what you think happens.
>>
>>14286625
Spoiled brat
>>
> clutch in
> revv it till BAMBAMBAM BAMBAM
> change gear
> clutch out
>???
> TAKUMI STYLE
>>
This thread is still being bumped with terrible advice!?

You can stick your left foot out of the frikin window and still shift, so long as you know where the engine speed matches the vehicle speed for whatever gear.

You blip the throttle to make the drivetrain 'fluid' enough to glide into neutral, and then you can slide into whatever next gear if you know the engine speed that you need to be at.

But /o/ will have trouble with grinding gears and synchros since 90% of the unintentional shitposter don't talk about matching the engine speed to where it would be when you let off of the clutch while in gear.
>>
>>14291040

Now, does anybody have any questions about rev matching that isn't retarded dumb shit?
>>
This fucking thread again.

Okay, dipshits, it's time for manuel transmicion 101:
Double clutching puts the least strain on both the clutch and the synchros, but it is completely pointless unless your synchros are already fucked. Rev matching reduces wear ONLY on the clutch, and makes for smoother downshifts. When you downshift, you first disconnect the transmission from the engine by disengaging the clutch, then you shift into neutral. At this point, with the clutch still disengaged, the input shaft of the transmission is free-wheeling; there is no connection to the engine and no gears are engaged. In a double-clutch shift, you re-engage the clutch, which links the engine to the input shaft. A blip to the throttle spins the input shaft up (ideally) to the same speed as the gear you are selecting, allowing you to push the clutch in again and select said gear. If done correctly, this completely bypasses use of the synchronizers. This is how you shift an unsynchronized transmission. In a normal shift, even if you rev match, the free-wheeling input shaft is spun up to the speed of the gear you are shifting into by using the synchronizers so that the gears can mesh. The inertia of a free-wheeling input shaft is small, it takes very little power and thus puts very little stress on the synchronizers to do this unless you are skipping gears or doing something stupid. In contrast, the amount of power needed to spin up the entire engine if you do not rev match is substantially greater, thus the car jerks and slows down as forward momentum is converted into spinning up the engine, meanwhile stressing the clutch as it has to transfer this energy by way of friction.

tl;dr don't bother double-clutching if you don't need to. If you DO need to double-clutch, you will literally not be able to shift otherwise.
>>
>>14282834
Drive an automatic.
>>
>>14293239
This pretty much, I only double clutch when skipping gears.
>>
>>14282911
You're wearing the sychros exactly the same amount. The only thing to prevent synchro wear is double clutching. Now that's some old school shit
>>
>>14286625
>this is /o/, people here probably play forza horizon 2 with their 'buddies' and think they're pro drivers
>I guess playing racing games all my life helped too
Thread posts: 97
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.