[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm saving up to buy myself my first non hand-me-down car.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 13

File: side_clean.jpg (268KB, 979x734px) Image search: [Google]
side_clean.jpg
268KB, 979x734px
I'm saving up to buy myself my first non hand-me-down car. I've narrowed my favorites down to a Foxbody GT, NA Miata, or E30. Which would be the best overall driving experience, as well to provide an opportunity for a beginner to learn some wrenching?
>>
Miata is the only one that should even be considered a car to get for driving experience
>>
>>14281966
t b h the miata was always my first choice, but my best friend who is super into E30's gushes over them and talks em up, making them sound like loads of fun opportunities for the price
And as far as the mustang goes, muhfiveliterveeayyt.jpg, and I personally find the Foxbody style to be very sexy
>>
>>14281994
Are you going to daily this car?
>>
File: image.jpg (97KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
97KB, 800x600px
E30s are my favorite out of your list, but will be more expensive, harder to find parts for, and you generally will find a worse example for the same amount of money as you would for a Miata or a foxbody. But that being said, E30s are definitely my favorite and could be considered the "middle ground" between your two other options. When it comes to choosing a Fox vs a Miata, it comes down to deciding what you want in a car. A foxbody can make great power for very cheap, has abundant parts, and is apparently reliable. However, it can't turn. A Miata can turn for days, will have pretty available parts, and will be better on gas (if that's a priority). However, it won't be very fast, but boy can it turn. I'm in a similar situation as you, OP; I eliminated the Fox after I decided that I liked turny cars rather than fast cars. Other cars on my list that seem like you might like are the E36, 240sx, SN95 and RX7. Good luck with your search.
>>
>>14282014
Yes but as a student. Space is not a huge concern
>>
>>14281966
>>14281994
>>14281958
Miatas are for Manlet fegets
>>
File: image.jpg (74KB, 600x337px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
74KB, 600x337px
Also, all of those will provide a decent base for wrenching. All simple platforms with a well established aftermarket and forums. As for driving, I have only driven the Miata. It was fun and responsive; felt like a go kart.
>>
If you live in the US, get yourself a Foxbody. More practical, cheaper to maintain, and the added Vanilla Ice song makes up for the convertible and driving of the Miata.
>>
>>14282040
When did your family realize you were a faggot
>>
File: image.jpg (213KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
213KB, 1024x683px
I found a stripped (except for drivers and passengers side seats and dash) E30 for $1000 that has a blown engine and bottle cap tires. I want to swap a M50 into it. It would be my first engine swap, but I figure that it's a well documented swap and with the help of a couple friends who are into wrenching that it shouldn't be that difficult.

>am I wrong?

>what's a reasonable budget for this junk?

> pic not related
>>
File: nofun.png (25KB, 320x305px) Image search: [Google]
nofun.png
25KB, 320x305px
>>14282038
>>
>>14282024
I was a bit torn on speed vs turning, but autocross and windy roads etc. have captured my interest. The Miata does seem like the better option compared to the Foxbody in that nature, I'm not sure where the E30 stands though. I've taken a look at those other vehicles you've recommended before, not quite my interest

>>14282038
>manlet fagets
I'm no manlet, but I'm usually willing to try something new, if you know what I mean
>>
>>14282101
mmmmmmm. You can take me for a ride whenever you want sailor
>>
File: 5234047065_416e4eafec.jpg (202KB, 495x500px) Image search: [Google]
5234047065_416e4eafec.jpg
202KB, 495x500px
>>14282036
As a foxbody owner who dislikes miatas I would tell you to get the miata. It's far more practical as a daily driver and you wont need to be spending loads of money on gas. The e30 could work just as well but parts and upkeep will definitely be more expensive compared to a fox or miata though
Like anon said>>14282040 all provide a decent base to wrench on, you just need to figure out what you want out of a car and choose based on what the cars are good at.
>>
>>14281958

What's your daily commute like? If you're going to daily the car, that's a big issue. Other wise it's like this:

>Mazda MX5
Pros: Best handling by far, reliable, economical, great parts availability and after-market.
Cons: Slowest, top will leak eventually, loud because of convertible, harsh ride on rough roads and not the most comfortable for long freeway trips

>Foxbody 'Stang
Pros: Most power, dead simple, pretty reliable, plenty of room in the hatchback, great parts and mods availability, 5.0L can pretty easily go full race car.
Cons: Poor handling, not the best ride, drinks fuel, love-it-or-hate-it looks

>Bimmer
Pros: Best ride and decent handling, plenty of room, can get 4 door for more whores, smooth engine, max comfy of the 3.
Cons: Pricey parts, occasionally complicated German engineering, probably least reliable (but not terrible), heavy.
>>
>>14282136
My daily commute is short, takes me through neighborhoods with quite a few curves, and above all, has LOTS of hills. Not hardcore mountain passes or anything, but I live in a nicer part of Alabama that's right at the tail end of the Appalachians so there's quite a bit of short uphill/downhill driving.

>>14282126
Why do you dislike the miata? Also what's gas mileage like in a 5.0? Gas is pretty cheap so if it's not too bad I'm not worried
>>
How bad is the E30s reliability, part availability/expense, aftermarket, and user base when compared to the Miata

>tfw can't choose
>>
>>14282233
OP here, this. From E30 owners, I hear nothing but good this about reliability, part availability, etc. But from everyone else I hear the opposite. Quite confusing.
>buyer's remorse
>>
M U S T A N G
U
S
T
A
N
G
>>
>>14281958
foxbody is easy to wrench on and is really fun to drive. Yeah you can't make turns as tight as a miata but the handling really isn't that bad.
>>
>>14282256
E30s are not "over engineered" in any way, that meme applies only to some of the newest bimmers. They have stood the test of time now being one of the most popular 80's enthusiasts cars in the world an there is a very good reson for that.
>>
>>14282101
disgusting don't get a foxbody. Faggots don't deserve american muscle. get a miata you'll fit right in.
>>
>>14282220
Another 5.0 owner here, they get high teens/low 20s highway if you really lug them down the freeway. You will constantly be hunting for gas with the shit MPG + small tank.
>>14282372
M8 these cars are fucking awful at corners stock, don't kid yourself.
>>
>>14282300

Dominica FD fag?
>>
>>14282419
i drove a cadillac deville for 2 years when I first got my license. Don't tell me about bad cornering m8.
>>
File: IMG_20150730_141744318.jpg (4MB, 4320x2432px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150730_141744318.jpg
4MB, 4320x2432px
Do you live somewhere with long straight roads where the only fun part of driving is going WOT?
>get the foxbody

Do you live somewhere with twisty fun roads or like to autocross?
>see question 3

Do you absolutely need four seats?
> yes, E30
> no, Miata

Really just get the Miata.
>>
If you still want a more powerful car than a Miats but don't want the straight-line-or-go-fuck-yourself of the Foxbody, you could look at the third gen F-body twins (Camaro and Firebird). The 350 only came with an auto transmission and even the 305s were usually ordered with the auto, but manual swaps are common and a small block Chevy is easy as hell to wrench on with a preposterously gigantic aftermarket.
>>
>>14282441
This, the main weakness of the third gens is the manual trans and the 10-bolt rear end, but they're powerful and *decent* at cornering.
>>
>>14282436

I haven't been here for years, nor had the Miata for that long, but Miata a shit.

1. The typical "looks gay" joke is there for a reason.
2. Loser than OP's asshole, holy fucking shit body needs some rigidity.
3. Extremely short gears to the point of being annoying - I understand why they did it, but don't kid yourself, the car has no power, and the only viable option is Voodoo 2 - which is $2000-3000 WITHOUT the engine build.
4. Flimsy as fuck everything.
5. If top is up, can't see the fucking light, shit visibility all around, shit in winter (not even the handling), just the shit-ass top.

The good:
>Easy as fuck to work on
>Does handle well

Still not as fun as something like an Integra which is pigfat in comparison. In short, don't get the fucking Miata, holy fuck.
>>
>>14282436

Seriously, the more I look at that POS, the more it triggers me. Those fucking SHITTY ASS door handles which feel like they are going to fall off. Those fucking tierods that I can literally bend with my hands. That SHIT oil filter position. That flimsy shit metal everywhere. So triggered. Gotta give it up for double wishbone everywhere though. And dat ability to adjust suspension on the spot.
>>
>>14282425
Ayyy yeah
>>
>>14282477
>1. The typical "looks gay" joke is there for a reason.
It looks fine, you're just insecure.
>2. Loser than OP's asshole, holy fucking shit body needs some rigidity.
Yeah kinda, there are braces you can buy that help a ton.
>3. Extremely short gears to the point of being annoying - I understand why they did it, but don't kid yourself, the car has no power, and the only viable option is Voodoo 2 - which is $2000-3000 WITHOUT the engine build.
You're a dumbass if you can't put together a better turbo build for under $3000. Seriously you're retarded here.
>4. Flimsy as fuck everything.
It's a super light car designed in the 80's what do you want? I've never broken anything in my '91 so it's not that bad.
>5. If top is up, can't see the fucking light, shit visibility all around, shit in winter (not even the handling), just the shit-ass top.
It's a convertible, it's a summer car. Get a hard top if you're such a big faggot about it.

People like you piss me off, it's like you bought a Miata just because /o/ likes it without ever thinking about why /o/ likes it or what you actually want in a car, then you shit on it when what you actually want to drive is an Accord.
>>
>>14282233
>>14282256
I owned an E30 325IS for several years and barely drove it because things broke faster than I could fix them. It was one thing after another with that car, and I probably sank 10 grand into keeping a $2500 car running for 5 years.

Also, even without things breaking, expect to replace every bit of rubber on the car if you want it to be any good to drive, or it'll have a sloppy chassis and a shifter that feels like stirring mashed potatoes.

Would not recommend, which is a shame because they're a lot of fun when they're not fucked up.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Foxbody. Very easy, friendly upgrade path to do as you go along, respectable power. Parts are cheap, most of the time. Pic related. My baby.
>>
>>14283603
That thing is sick but I don't like the headlights, they look like Mexican ricer crap, rest of the car is sick as fuck tho
>>
>>14283648
This, nice car but thosse headlights are fucking atrocious.
>>
In a similar position to OP. Looking for a car for college but I'm wonder what my other choices are that aren't a convertible for a winter town?
>>
File: Fox Ram 2.jpg (125KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
Fox Ram 2.jpg
125KB, 960x540px
Would probably not DD
>Scrapes on every uneven surface any faster than 20mph
>No AC and heat is currently bypassed as well
>Fully terrifying on winter roads both because immediate death and slow salt decay
>Needs to warm up for like 3 minutes before it'll even idle (carbureted)
>4 speed is fucking violent, conditioning myself to double clutch
>Teeny tiny mirrors
>Rattly
A lot of these issues are from it being pre-1986 but a lot are just foxbodies for ya. People say the back seat is useless but I hauled around 2 bitches plus my 6'6" self comfortably the other day. Fuel economy is about the same as the truck i.e. around 20mpg which is fine with me although funny considering the truck weighs twice as much, can seat twice as many and can haul 20x as much shit although honestly the hatch is fairly big on the fox, way bigger than a Miata trunk and you definitely can seat people in the back seats. I've also sat in Miatas and they're uncomfortable for me although I am really really tall. Even if a Miata is a cornering beast there's no way it's as much fun in light traffic urban settings where it's all about getting out there and getting up to speed, keeping the gap tight with the car ahead of you etc. Breaking the back end loose when you drop into second is such a sweet feeling and you just know it looks cool to the people behind you.
>>
File: PA280013.jpg (450KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
PA280013.jpg
450KB, 1600x1200px
>>14281958
Having owned a fox body and an E30 (325i), the e30 will feel nicer, but the aftermarket is shit and the parts market... hard to come by.. The fox body has a shit ton of aftermarket parts and parts in general are on the cheap side. I'd go foxbody.
>>
File: new lights.jpg (434KB, 1306x979px) Image search: [Google]
new lights.jpg
434KB, 1306x979px
ohh, someone saved a picture of my car :-)
>>
>>14282220

I live in the Appalachian part of AL and know plenty of people who have daily driven foxbody mustangs without issue.

I don't necessarily advocate for or against one, but even a built one won't have much issue in the bham or hsv metro or surrounding areas of north AL unless you just drive like a jackass and lay into every time you launch or whatever dumbass thing you might try to do that could end badly in just about any car. They definitely are not designed with "flying down a curvy mountain road like I'm racing something" though.

Don't really have any advice on what you should get from what you've listed, I guess the miata so maybe I will see you on the road someday and have a chance to laugh at faggot.
>>
File: 1449613766814.jpg (216KB, 1080x720px) Image search: [Google]
1449613766814.jpg
216KB, 1080x720px
>>14281958
If you get a Miata, promptly drive yourself off a cliff in it afterwards please.
>>
>>14282136
>>14282220
The fox doesn't drink fuel. A nice running 5.0 could easily acheive 25mpg. Especially with all the smog equipnent off
>>
>>14286603
Very good looking car, brother. I usually only like the recessed headlights on the ~86 foxbodies, but yours looks nice nonetheless
>>
>>14286603
btw, do you have any idea if it's possible to swap out the different headlight styles? Like if I took headlights like yours out and put recessed ones in?
>>
>>14287802
i dont think the housing would fit, also the recessed style housing is quite deeper.
Would probably work with some kind of custom fabricated stuff but it would be a hassle.
>>
buy a 1980's 300zx with upgrade potential. We're talking 300+ft/lbs of torque your first year of owning your first car on a $5k/year budget. Also cool gas mileage #SOHCthings
>>
>>14288381
This is coming from someone that has a lot of car fun on a measly college student budget.
>>
>>14287872
You can take the while front clip off any fox body and bolt it onto any other fox body
>>
File: DSC_1104.jpg (39KB, 626x409px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_1104.jpg
39KB, 626x409px
>>14282063
The mr2 is an unequivocal piece of shit forget what you've heard about it on /o/. If you've sat in a modern econobox this fucking thing turns like a a absolute pig sliding on shit, the engine is lazy as fuck as are all Toyota engines, Guarenteed to have rust in important places and it's stupid to work on. There's a reason why Toyota stopped making the mr2 all together. They're too expensive for what they are and the competition destroyed it in the price to performance ratio.
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.