[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anybody secretly hope electric cars don't take off?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 9

File: tumblr_ns7herF3oO1u2685ao1_500.png (52KB, 500x366px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ns7herF3oO1u2685ao1_500.png
52KB, 500x366px
Does anybody secretly hope electric cars don't take off? Am I the only one who likes wrenching on REAL engines?
>>
>>14258716
Yes, but I'm well aware that that's basically just because I'm a luddite. I have no rational reason to dislike EVs, and plenty of good reasons to look forward to them. But dislike 'em I still do.
>>
>>14258716
what the fuck kind of question is this i have only heard people talk about how much they hate electric cars on /o/
>>
>>14258746
Really, well then maybe you should lurk moar, you ridiculous newtrip.
>>
#mechaniclivesmatter
>>
File: cl2GAuv.png (239KB, 506x504px) Image search: [Google]
cl2GAuv.png
239KB, 506x504px
>>14258792
ive been on this board since 2010 my man maybe you should suck my balls you electronic car loving fag sympathizer
>>
>>14258805
No, I'd rather not get arrested for paedophilia.
>>
>>14258904
nice comeback queer
>>
Part of me loves and wants to keep petrol

The other part of me hates supporting islamic scum nations with oil money.
>>
Unfortunately oil isn't going to be viable soon. Saudi Arabia is deliberately pumping endless amounts of oil to destabilize the markets and competition.

Unless we want another oil crisis, we need to (unfortunately) invest in electric, hydrogen, and possibly even nuclear-powered vehicles.
>>
All the gas-powered shitboxes coming out now aren't going anywhere. You'll still be able to wrench on them for the rest of your natural life.

It'll be a little while before the Tesla Model S reaches $1000 winter beater / shitbox status.
>>
File: zombie 222 electric mustang.jpg (263KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
zombie 222 electric mustang.jpg
263KB, 960x640px
don't worry, the tuning and modding and swapping scene won't go away. if anything it'll just get easier to do
>>
>>14259478
This, although electric motors are more of a big investment for an upgrade. What will be all the rage though is reasonable weight reduction.
>>
>>14259519
>>14259478

It also helps to remember that there are roughly a billion cars on the road, mostly gasoline powered, another large chunk being diesel, then following up electric.

For us to get to the point to where electric completely phases out gasoline/diesel, you'll need to replace a significant majority of that number. That will, in all unlikelyhood, not fucking happen in our lifetime.

I like electric cars to be honest, the Model S actually looks really cool and seems to perform very well, can't speak for longevity though. Either way, we'll still be able to work on/play with ICEs for the rest of our lives.
>>
Engines aren't interesting any more. Electric motors are now. I don't want to have to do all kinds of modifications to shit gas engines to get more power.

I want to be able to tweak the existing electric motor or just swap it for something with more output. That's what's up now.

I'm 18 btw and when the affordable tesla comes out I'm buying it.
>>
>>14258999
Nah mane
People keep saying we will run out of oil but we keep finding more and more
It won't every happen in our life time and probably not within then next couple generations
>>
>>14259596
motor output isn't the issue, it's all batteries. you can get huge power out of a relatively cheap motor but you need batteries that can deliver that power without blowing up
>>
>>14259653
Shut up.
>>
>>14259726
it sucks but it's the truth. it's like being able to fit a v8 into a tiny tiny space but your gas tank is really small and you're constantly fighting fuel feeding limitations and the gas consumption on the v8 is enormous
>>
>>14259596
>electric motors are interesting
Wow, a coil of copper and some magnets how interesting.

Btw, you don't get power from the motor it comes from the batteries. Just a heads up before you want to compare two technologies you don't even understand again.
>>
>>14259745
Go away. You're wrong.
>>
>>14259757
>>
>>14259596
lmao
the world of modifying/tuning electric cars is going to be infinitely more complex than ICE.
good luck.
>>
File: Rimac Concept One (4).jpg (364KB, 1260x575px) Image search: [Google]
Rimac Concept One (4).jpg
364KB, 1260x575px
>>14258716

You can still wrench on electric cars, the parts are just cleaner.

http://evwest.com/catalog/

Building electric motors also looks like fun.
>>
>>14258746
I like this trip we need more ppl like you
>>
>>14259816
People have been modifying electric cars sine the early 90s ever heard of r/c car racing? They aren't any more complex systems than ICE cars. In fact the physics are a lot simpler.
>>
>>14259858
Road grime and dust won't magically dissappear with electrical motors.
>>
>>14258716
Why would electric cars prevent you from working on combustion engines?

Furthermore, wouldn't you guys like the idea of hybrid performance cars, with electric motors providing near instant torque and combustion engines providing power?
>>
>>14258716
I only do because everyone charging EV cars sounds fucking retarded.

>hydrogen or gtfo
>>
>>14260003
No because there is no replacement for displacement faggot
>>
>>14259795
Have you ever modified a motor in a remote control car? No? Then stfu. All you gotta do is replace a few things and power output is more than doubled.
https://youtube.com/watch?v=Ycfv3QIqvco
>>
>>14260083
ooh that, i was referring to the downside being your range going to shit, but at very high levels of power (approaching megawatts for performance EVs) you run into a battery output bottleneck
>>
>>14258716
I am okay with electric cars and I'll probably buy one eventually assuming gas doesn't go below $1 a gallon due to lessened demand.
Still, I'd miss the roar of a V8.
>>
File: DfKhELu.jpg (187KB, 700x523px) Image search: [Google]
DfKhELu.jpg
187KB, 700x523px
>>14259952
thanks friend
>>
>>14259755
To be fair different motors can be more powerful than one another, even in the same size, but yeah, batteries are way more important.
>>
>>14258739
I too like to make sure my pokemon have good EV's aswell
>>
Well humanity drains fossil fuels far faster than deposits can be discovered and replenish, so the transition from petrol needs to happen some time.

Hopefully they will find another alternative for ICE engines to burn, like hydrogen or something. Piston engines are just more exciting.
>>
>>14262666
As fossil fuels deplete, known stores that were to expensive to extract become viable (Shale oil anyone). Hell we can even make fuels now. Being that oil is so cheap at the moment, (and tipped to become cheaper yet) we will not see these more expensive methods become a reality.
>>
>>14262710
http://gas2.org/2008/12/09/man-made-bacteria-produces-a-fuel-thats-better-than-gas/
>>
>>14262713
That's neat. That said, I've read a ton of scientific breakthroughs in articles over the last decade, and very few have been implemented since. Scientists can make cool stuff but they actually have to work on getting it out there. Hopefully they try.

I wonder how fast these bacteria can produce gas. We need a lot of it.
>>
>>14262723
As I said above that post, oil is still readily available, and cheap. You will only see such advances come into play when they are viable. Just because we can do something does not make it economically viable...
>>
>>14258716
Same with fucking driverless cars, I'll luddite all over their fucking asses
>>
>>14258716
no i hope they replace all the small shitboxes
even if i like working on ICE it's funnier on a motorcycle or a sportcars and they won't be electric before a long time
>>
>>14258944
>Literally being this much of a cock gobbler
>>
>>14259607
>Implying global climate change won't kill us all within 2 generations
>>
>>14262661
This guy has his priorities straight
>>
>>14263529
Humans survived the last ice age just fine
>>
>>14263569
Yeah, but barely, m8
>>
>>14258716
Modern cars are black boxes you can't work on yourself anyway.

Even motorcycles are rapidly evolving in that direction.
>>
>>14263733
My 2013 Honda cbr250 would like a word with you. I fixed it with a hammer more than once
>>
>>14263744
Still less work-on-able than an older bike would be, with the fuel injection and ABS: either that stuff works or you replace it.

Of course the trade off is improved reliability and safety. Same as with cars.
>>
>>14263791
When ABS breaks you just have a bike without ABS,
>>
working on cars is shit
driving is boring

I hope electric driverless cars come sooner rather than later
>>
>>14263825
What the fuck are you dong here.
>>
>>14258716
Assuming they get the battery shit together, I'd enjoy the insta-torque and the relative ease of maintenance for most shit. I'd really miss all of the tiny explosions, though. They sounds really nice. I'd also miss transmissions.
>>
Hey OP,
I am with you and my only reason is "soul and passion."
However, I had the oppotunity last month to drive my friend's mom's Tesla Model S.
The good news I can say is that Tesla has gone over the top trying to help people step over the uncanny valley.
I was appreciative of how much detail went into making the car feel like an ICE.
The fact there is an option to make the car go forward or backward at a low speed like an ICE rather than having to push the accelerator was a good decision because from the start it felt like driving any automatic CVT car, just silent. To add to that, once on the road, the car accelerated like a CVT and maintaining speed was similar in nature.
Engine braking or I suppose I should say motor braking also happened at a satisfying rate while coming to a stop.
Honestly, the car handled comfortably enough for me if I wasn't told which car was electric or ICE and had to drive both short of the sound I couldn't tell the difference. I guess what I am saying is that for your regular everyday driver, these electrics will be fine.
But for me, I will stick with my six speed Volkswagen,
>>
>>14259478
>if anything it'll just get easier to do
Didn't American auto manufacturers try to make it illegal to mess with your ECU?
>>
>>14263854
I appreciate the aesthetics and sound of the automobile
>>
realposting here

I would be totally fine driving a fully-electric (Tesla, etc) daily to commute to work and keeping a conventional gasoline sports car for weekend fun.
>>
Gas fags on suicide watch
>>
>>14264031
When driverless cars take over, and most people are 'ride sharing' from fleets, aesthetics will become a lot less important because individuals won't be buying cars, so they won't care how their car's looks reflect on them. Just like nobody cares what the plane or train they're riding in looks like, just how comfortable their seat is.
>>
>>14258999
What about ethanol?
>>
>>14265366
That's an interesting perspective. What if driver-less cars would be like Uber and Tesla's Summon capability? Before work, you just click on a button on your phone to summon a car and you pay fleet upkeep in monthly installments much like you would previously pay insurance.
>>
>>14265385
That's more of less how it will work: you'll just summon a ride when you need it. Although since so many people will be doing it all the time, the system will be able to automatically optimize car pooling, which will make it even cheaper and more efficient.
>>
>>14258944

>it took you six hours to reply
>>
>>14265441
>implying everyone on the board is just hitting F5 furiously because they have nothing else to do
>>
>>14258746
are crazy time attack wings like that available retail?
>>
i'm going to baby the shit out of my internal combustion engines so i have them for years to come.. i got a road legal 2-stroke even, a 90's diesel guzzler, a harley

but damn i can't wait for electrics to be a bit more reasonably priced

>dat torque
>>
>>14258716
>Does anybody else?
>Am I the only one?
>REAL
While I somewhat agree with you, you are still a massive faggot.
>>
>>14258716
I look forward to electrics getting even better. That instant, quiet, cheap power, yo.
>>
>>14263948
try
and failed
>>
File: 1410963624239.gif (2MB, 245x276px) Image search: [Google]
1410963624239.gif
2MB, 245x276px
>does anybody secretly the newfangled steam machines don't take off? Am I the only one who likes caring for a mighty steed, a REAL form of transport?

>does anybody secretly hope gasoline powered automobiles don't take off? Am I the only one who likes wrenching on REAL engines?

>does anybody secretly hope cars without carburetors don't take off? Am I the only one who likes wrenching on REAL engines?
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.