[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ethical?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 125
Thread images: 16

File: 138868-car-and-text.jpg (66KB, 526x366px) Image search: [Google]
138868-car-and-text.jpg
66KB, 526x366px
Ethical?
>>
They randomly run plates already, the camera just increases their efficiency 100x.
>>
>>14253624
straya has had these for years
>>
designed to enforce laws.
how is that unethical?
>>
Yes.

Criminal scum shouldn't be driving, they should be in jail. Civvies get bitchu when they get pulled over. No, I don't care if your tag expired a week ago, it should've been on the car the DAY THE MONTH CHANGED. These people simply prove they're reckless, and that they don't fit in a healthy society and should be thrown in jail.
>>
>dwi from getting caught smoking a joint on I40
>do probabtion and the required 1yr no license
>sit shotgun while friends drive my ride
>constantly pulled over because car is registered to someone with a suspended license
>fuck you my car but not driving lol

Still, why do I have to be harrassed? I'm fucking white masterrace goddamnit.
>>
big brother up in here wewlad
>>
>>14253624
Not inherently unethical, but it will become unethical when they start geotagging plate locations and storing them.

At which point I put a fat IR blaster next to the license plate light
>>
Unethical.

As government grows fuckhueger and fuckhueger, your license plate becomes yet another identifier to which personal information can be attributed to in some database somewhere. Databases can be exploited always, there is no exception to this rule.

There should be no personal information tied to your license plate other than your full legal name and vehicle registration status.
>>
>>14253652
Maybe you shouldn't have been smoking illegally and driving illegally.

You should've gotten more than a suspended license, you should rot in jail with the rest of the gang bangers and druggies.

>>14253655
>oh no I'm an edgy fuck who enjoys breaking the law, fuck pigs xddd

>>14253658
What's wrong with that?
>>
>>14253624

How would it be unethical?

License plates aren't a matter of personal privacy.
>>
>>14253670
If you want no government, go live in Somalia kiddo. Soverign Citizen and Libertarian fucks like you need to be shipped there.
>>
>>14253671
>Maybe you shouldn't have been smoking illegally and driving illegally.

And maybe you shouldn't be a fucking cuckhold.

Used to be you live and you learn. Yet in today's society, you live and you are stalked for the rest of your life by The Man.
>>
>>14253678
>If you want no government
Not implied.

Go take your strawmen elsewhere kiddo.
>>
>>14253671
What's wrong with spending tax dollars on massive databases for tracking the travel of private citizens? Does that require an explanation?
>>
>>14253683
>you live and you are stalked for the rest of your life by The Man.
That's only because you are responsible for thousands of dead Americans a year with your "harmless" little drug.

>The Man
>>>/reddit/
Don't you have a Bernie rally to be attending?

>>14253695
You are not private... there's a thing called "social contract". You follow laws, you get the protection of government. If there were no social contract, everywhere would be like Africa.
>>
>>14253676
>License plates aren't a matter of personal privacy.

This changed when tow truck companies aligned themselves with repo men who aligned themselves with law enforcement.

A police officer can literally geofence your town and have a text sent to his phone whenever you drive through it.

This is a clear violation of privacy.
>>
>>14253703
>there's a thing called "social contract"
Literally bullshit, like all of your post.
Could you make it less obvious you're 12?
>>
>>14253703
And if you follow laws, the government should not be trying to track you.

I really don't care if they try, it's easy as fuck to stop this. That's the problem with most of the orwellian programs... they are basically opt out because they are so trivial to bypass.

http://www.sunflexzone.com/product/stealth-anti-tracking-ir-infrared-license-plate-privacy-frame-alpr-countermeasure
>>
>>14253705

I stand corrected.
>>
America used to be the shining example of the entire globe for all matters regarding personal liberty.

Now Europe leads on privacy and personal liberty.

How embarrassingly bad must America continue to be before the world shuns you into irrelevance?
>>
>>14253703
Also that's not what the social contract is. It's actually the opposite of what the social contract is.
>>
>>14253757
Most of europe does NOT lead on either of those things. Much of europe has mandatory data retention laws, no gun rights, limited free speech. Exception being switzerland on all counts.

America has gone to shit in that regard as well though, we agree there.
>>
Joe from down the street installs a credit card reader on the ATM at your local bank branch to steal your monies
"LOCK HIM UP!"
Brad from County PD installs a license plate reader on the traffic light at your local neighborhood to steal your freedom
"NUTTIN TA HIDE"
>>
>>14253703
>you follow the laws and get protection from the government
But we are talking about the government spending millions to track people who are following the law
>>
File: 1452830223626.gif (551KB, 245x220px) Image search: [Google]
1452830223626.gif
551KB, 245x220px
>we are virtually a decade away from your car not starting because it's been shut down by law enforcement for having expired tags by a day....
>>
>>14253642
Bait
>>
>>14253835
In the era of self-driving cars, the government will just be able to instruct your car to take you to the police station instead of your set destination, or just shut the whole thing down altogether, if they find there's something that they would like you to explain.
>>
ECM/jammers when?
>>
I think its alright if its on a marked car, if not then no. No fucking joke i saw a dark green miata the other day with plate readers on it
>>
File: 1424123354253.png (550KB, 666x666px) Image search: [Google]
1424123354253.png
550KB, 666x666px
>>14253835

>implying they don't just send a signal to lock you in your car until you can pay your no registration fine, the singal lock fine, the fine for being fined, and the tax for getting your registration, oh and the tax fine tax for fine taxes tax fine.

And people would be perfectly A O K with this.
>>
File: 1444280892308.gif (549KB, 720x534px) Image search: [Google]
1444280892308.gif
549KB, 720x534px
>hack self driving cars to crash into police stations
>>
>>14253641
>>14253640

Becuase those machines keep track of where those plates were spotted and the data isn't typically deleted.

and given enough effort the gov't could track your moves, which is invasion of privacy.
>>
>>14253683
>live and learn
You mean you didn't realize it was wrong to drive high until you got pulled over for it? You must be an idiot.
Driving is a privilege.
>>
>>14254028
not that anon, but remember those words when someone finds the chance to grill you. someday you're going to eat those words.
>>
>>14253786
You are an idiot
>>
>>14254045
I don't drive unless I'm sober you dipshit. I know the rules of the road. I didn't complain about getting a ticket for expired registration because I knew it was my fault I forgot. But you'd have to be a total loser to smoke weed while driving and then think you shouldn't be punished for it.
>>
Steve Jobs would drive around without plates because he didn't want to be tracked. He found a loophole in California law that you can drive a new car without plates for a few weeks until the plates are ready. He'd just buy a new car every few weeks. Billionaires man.
>>
>>14254161
God damn it, he may have been an asshole but he was really fucking clever.
>>
>>14253624
It seems like a presumption of guilt but will it yield results? See racial profiling where Jamal probably has crack and an unlicensed firearm on him and it gets picked up on. How do muh freedoms stack up against instances in which wrongdoing is uncovered.

>>14253642
>>14253671
>>14253678
>>14253703
>>14254028
Poe's law runs deep here. Can you sort the shitposters from legitimate bootlickers and straight edge cucks?
>>
System is horribly flawed.

While I was stationed in JApan, I kept my 240sx at my parents' house. So it could get driven every so often and kept in a garage. My mother was driving it once and got pulled over. The plate reader said the car owner(me) had an expired license. Except I didn't. I had license form the last state i was stationed in. Didn't have a license of the state my car was registered in. All of which didn't matter anyways. Since I was stationed overseas. My license never expires.
>>
>>14254182
More than likely some assistant told him about this.
>>
>>14254161
>>14254182
Except you're fucking wrong. Steve Jobs LITERALLY did this because he didn't like the way plates LOOK.

I shit you not, look it the fuck up. He hated them as a blemish on his car, and because he could afford to get away with not having them, he damned sure was going to.
>>
>>14254229
Literally nothing in your incoherent post makes any sense at all. You don't get a pass on registering your car because you're overseas in the military. You don't get a pass on driving a car around with expired plates because you "have another state registration" somewhere, with no proof.
>>
>>14254281
Try again
>>
>>14253750
A lot of countries that roll out this stuff also brings law in making it illegal to obscure your plate from it. In Australia the fine for driving a vehicle with a 'modified' plate is larger than not having one at all.
>>
not really an invasion of privacy, it basically does what they normally do (run plates) but much faster
>>
>>14253640
>because Australia is totally a beacon of ethics to the world
>>
>>14254272
what a faggot, california plates are best and go well with nearly everything unlike most other states
>>
>>14253624
nothing to hide
the police were going to check your licence anyway it was just a matter of time
>>
>>14253757
>essential
>>14253624
the brit bongs are the king of this
cctv can track your plate the moment you enter any town
>Europe leads on privacy and personal liberty.
I disagree
>>
File: 1452732754802.jpg (59KB, 780x585px) Image search: [Google]
1452732754802.jpg
59KB, 780x585px
>>14253705
Im not sure i understand.
How exactly does that work?
what do tow truck company's have to do with the government spying on you?
>>
File: 152138[1].jpg (50KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
152138[1].jpg
50KB, 800x600px
>>14253757
>Now Europe leads on privacy
>>
File: 1414284002619.jpg (61KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1414284002619.jpg
61KB, 500x500px
Dude some repo companies have been doing this shit for years to look for you deadbeat faggots with repo assignments for your car from the bank.
Nothing new, get over it. And stop stealing cars.
>>
>>14254768
>>14254690
The tow truck companies have access to the same license plate tracking databases that the police do... and they sell your information to the police to add it to the system.

It's a really fucking shitty thing to do with your personal information. It is virtually like if Google started SELLING your Google Maps history to your local PD.
>>
>>14253678
textbook strawman, good show m8
>>
>>14253683
You live and you learn? You mean you didn't know it was stupid and illegal to drive high/drunk?
>>
>>14255393
You didn't seem to know that your post was going to be fucking stupid.. same concept.
>>
>>14253981
>and given enough effort the gov't could track your moves, which is invasion of privacy.

For as long as tracking technology has even existed, governments have had the capacity to spy on you if they had a mind to. Putting it in police cars slightly reduces the effort required, but it has been true that the government could track you given "enough effort" for decades.

I'd say the problem isn't that the government is capable of spying on people, it's that people, reasonably or otherwise, think that they are likely to use that capability.
>>
>>14255402
Aww, the dumb druggie is mad
>>
>>14255415
Not him, but I don't see the point in arguing about what the problem is.
We should be arguing about what the solution is.

And it starts by asking some very basic questions:
>exactly what information is being collected and stored?
>how long is the data stored by law enforcement after it is harvested?
>how much is law enforcement paying towing companies for the information?

Then we can start making some changes to try to curb this practice.
If it's illegal for a criminal to sell your SSN to the highest bidder on the internet, then why is it legal for towing companies and automotive repossession workers to sell your license plate info to the highest bidder? Why is that for sale in the first place? Furthermore why is law enforcement attributing your entire legal record to your license plate?
>>
Pretty soon, your entire health records will also be linked to your license plate.

That way police can just ride around and see which females have STDs and therefore are more likely to want to fuck.
>>
>>14253624
Illegal in Germany, enjoy your police state anglo faggots. :^)
>>
>>14254749
It's funny because the number of CCTV cameras per million people is the same in the US as in the UK.
>>
File: camaro.jpg (22KB, 350x212px) Image search: [Google]
camaro.jpg
22KB, 350x212px
>>14253757
>Now Europe leads on privacy and personal liberty.
>>
>>14255502
At least we don't have our license plates scanned and all communication mass surveilled.
>>
File: koths.jpg (45KB, 500x383px) Image search: [Google]
koths.jpg
45KB, 500x383px
>>14255514
>At least we don't have our license plates scanned and all communication mass surveilled.

Yes, having anything over a 1.0l shitbox taxed into oblivion is so much better. Also, have fun getting arrested for being racist on twitter.
>>
>>14255532
And I'd rather keep my privacy not only at home but also when travelling and during communication, no amount of cheap crap offsets lacking basic rights.
>>
>>14255514
Yes we do. ANPR is a thing. Have you never watched Road Wars?

>>14255532
Actually that's not really a concern - the black man I'm legally mandated to welcome into my home so he can fuck my wife won't let me use my computer.
>>
>>14255562
>implying every European country is Britbongistan
>>
>>14254346
You wouldn't be modifying or obscuring the plate, and police would never even know since the system just wouldn't pick up the plate at all.
>>
Part of total surveillance.
Sign of a police state.
Unethical, at least for true patriots.
>>
Fuck no.
>>
Unethical in practice. Little laws on retention means the cops used it as a mechanism to log everyone's location history indefinitely until it can be used against you, even if there is no reason to suspect you of a crime until months or years after the data is collected.
>>
>>14255502
>smugmaro.jpg
>>
>>14254690
Emi worst girl
>>
>>14254690

Sauce pls.
>>
File: lilly hbd.png (2MB, 1801x2623px) Image search: [Google]
lilly hbd.png
2MB, 1801x2623px
>>14255692
Katawa Shoujo, a free visual novel made by a bunch of people from right here on 4chan!
>>
>>14253981

Boy have I got some bad news for you if you own a mobile phone.
>>
>>14255724
lel

https://www.google.com/maps/timeline?pb=!1m9!2m8!1m3!1i1990!2i0!3i1!2m3!1i2090!2i0!3i1!2m2!6b1!7b1!3m10!1m9!2m8!1m3!1i2015!2i7!3i19!2m3!1i2015!2i11!3i17!5m0!6b1!7m3!4m1!2i8741!7e94
>>
>>14254690
I laughed to hard at this.
>>
>>14254187
>this guy is still trying to excuse his nigger behavior
Sad.
>>
>>14253981
If you're using public roads it doesn't matter(which you are)
>>
>>14255816
>unjust laws only affect niggers
Well look at this sheltered straight-edge faggot.
>>
Are you retards serious? This isn't a violation of your privacy. It's why license plates exist. This software does exactly what police (and even you) can already do.

The name and address of the registered car owner is not personal information it is public information, just like your criminal history.

You can literally go to the DMV and look up names and addresses of license plates yourself.

Just because you don't like it, or it's your opinion that it's unethical, doesn't mean that it's unjust. Fucking idiots
>>
>>14253652
Hey, retard, you waived your right to the 4th amendment when you plead guilty. That was a stipulation on the piece of paper you signed after the judge informed you of the conditions of your criminal probation or were you too stoned when he was talking to you, bruh?
>>
ITT people forgetting why these things were needed in the first place

>mexicans and nigs without insurance
>scum driving around with no registration/inspection
>faggots driving around with expired licenses

If people would just get their shit together there never would have been an urgent need for these things. Blame the scum of the US.
>but I can't afford registration
>better post to FB on my $600iphone
Can't afford to run and maintain a car? Get a bicycle or a scooter. Even poor cambodians can afford that.
>>
If you don't have anything to hide then it shouldn't be a problem :)
>>
>>14256277
These things were never "needed." An officer of the law could still determine the legality of your license and registration after pulling you over; no special camera needed.
It's an advancement of technology that makes it easier for the government to violate your privacy.
>>
>>14256282
If you don't have anything to hide then you should post your physical address right now. :)
>>
>>14256300
You're a fucking moron.
I can't believe people like this can vote.
>>
>>14256300
They aren't violating your privacy at all. You are using a state registered motor vehicle that requires a license and insurance to drive. You are using said vehicle in a public space. It was MORE of a vilation to single people out because they only singled out black people and "poor" looking people. Now everyone is on the same field. Just because you don't like it doesn't make it bad.
>helicopters are violating my privacy
>radios violate my privacy
>scanning my DL into the computer violates my privacy
>a database of criminals violates my privacy
>>
>>14256211
>You can literally go to the DMV and look up names and addresses of license plates yourself.

uh, how? My DOT site merely tells you the make/year/registration expiration date. I dont' think you can just pull ownership info based on
a plate.
>>
>>14256305
>posting your address can lead to criminal activity being visited on your person or property
>having your plates ran helps to prevent it

Totally the same :)
:)
>>
>>14256319
It would be fine if our license and registration status should be the only data points associated with your license plate, but they are not. Just because you are glib on the subject matter doesn't make it alright.

The amount of total government cucks on this board is alarming. This is why a police state is imminent.
>>
>>14256329
You can.. It's public information. You have to fill a form and pay a fee. Just like if you want court records.
>>
>>14256329
You literally can. It's why people cover their plates when posting online.
>>
>>14256331
It's okay anon. I'll just scan your plate and get it. :)
>>
>>14256329
>GO TO the DMV
>but online the DOT says
Jesus dude, leave the house and learn the difference.
>>
I don't understand why everyone is freaking the fuck out. If they start trying to take away our shit and actually doing stuff, then We The People will fight back with our guns. That's the whole point of the second ammendment. We can afford to let little things like this that DO serve a legitimate purpose in some instances, slip, because we have the ability to destroy said system if we need to. The real worry is if we are still able to abolish our government if the need arises.

Making it easier for cops to read license plates is not preventing that you paranoid fucks. Go back to /pol/.
>>
>it is completely okay for the police to have a database containing the complete vehicle location history of hundreds of millions of private citizens.. because they chose to drove on public roads

>it is completely okay for the police to have a database containing the complete smartphone location history of hundreds of millions of private citizens.. because they chose to live in an era where we're really really scared of muslims

Welcome to Government Cuckholding 101. Please open your textbooks, and turn to "Chapter 1: Nothing to Hide."
>>
File: 1429908875731.png (328KB, 704x480px) Image search: [Google]
1429908875731.png
328KB, 704x480px
>>14255376
Still not 100% sure i see what you are talking about.
Why fear tow truck company's?
They don't run around as the personal spy squad for the police.
They go around towing shit.

They add to the database? you mean the database that comes from the DMV most likely?

Im not really the most politically savvy but even i know The government wouldn't do ANYTHING to fuck up its taxcow.

Regardless, if they wanted to track you they can do it with no problems from that handy little rectangle made of plastic you are on right now/ is in your pocket.
>>
>>14253624
Violates the constitution.
>>
>>14258162
how?
>>
>>14258569
he doesnt know he hasn't read it ever
>>
>>14258581
>>14258569
>>14258162

it's actually the 4th commandment of god..

" thou shalt not install license plate reading equipment on thy police cars"
>>
>>14256431
cuck
>>
>>14258662
>a disagree with him so i'm gonna tell him that he gets off on watching his wife bang other people
>>
>>14258569
>"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."
>>
>>14258667
not even at all relevant lmao. nice try though
>>
>>14258667
looking up your license plate number does not violate you

saying it does is like saying you are offended that people can look at you.
>>
>>14253652
because you're a pot smoking swagfag that probably drives a shitbox with racing stickers
>>
>>14253757
Europe? Personal liberty and rights? lol nope

These type of license plate scanners are already in use here in Europe. Add that to all the other restrictions and high taxes on everything
>>
>>14254681
>essential liberty
Yes, liberty is essential.
>>
>>14255477
Not government CCTVs...>>14256211
>The name and address of the registered car owner is not personal information it is public information, just like your criminal history.
>You can literally go to the DMV and look up names and addresses of license plates yourself.
Literally isn't. Some cholo broke down in a van in my yard and took weeks to come pick it up, and the cops got nervous as fuck when I tried to figure out where he lived so I could dolly it to his house.

It's not public record.
>>
>>14258719
Nice argument fagtron. It's a search of your personal information without probable cause. Like a cop on the street asking every pedestrian they see to produce their ID.

>>14258785
I wasn't aware people know my name, address, traffic history... just by looking at my face.
>>
>>14253624

I hope your car gets stolen and they never find it because they'll never run the plates.

dumbasses I swear.
>>
File: 1451153847588.jpg (174KB, 639x475px) Image search: [Google]
1451153847588.jpg
174KB, 639x475px
>having any expectation of privacy over any device connecting to the world wide web in any country
we're all fucked m8's

either get paranoid or stop caring, either is effective
>>
>>14253678
Yes mein fuhrer,they need to be shipped.
But why not load them into trains?isn't that what we do with political dissidents?
>>
>>14253652
Because white privilege hasn't existed for 30 years
>>
>>14255735
This is horrifying...
>>
you can already do this yourself with a $10 phone mounted on your windshield/wherever or just any IP camera/webcam and nobody would even notice

https://github.com/openalpr/openalpr

these days anyone can be a super cool superspy and creep on their neighbors etc.

nothing's stopping the government from using far better programs and far smaller and better hardware everywhere
>>
>>14253624
UK has had these for about 10 years.

I really don't like it, but they do sort of work (in theory)

In reality, if you're on a hotlist you find another car like yours and swap the plates, so instead of Muhammad Bin Ackbar getting stopped it's Mrs Smith
>>
>>14261694
Your name, address, and traffic record are all matters of public record.
>>
>>14263059
Very much doubt that.
Thread posts: 125
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.