[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you check over your shoulder when switching lanes?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 13

File: TDS_Image_17.jpg (11KB, 361x265px) Image search: [Google]
TDS_Image_17.jpg
11KB, 361x265px
Do you check over your shoulder when switching lanes?
>>
>archer.jpg

Do you not?
>>
>>14234854
ofc? I can't find/afford any new parts anymore.
>>
>>14234854
No. That's what side mirrors are for
>>
>>14234874
>blind spots don't exist
>>
>>14234863
I have friends who don't.
>>
>>14234879
>not being aware of your surroundings at all times
>>
In a car, yes. In a semi truck I literally can't and have to rely on the mirrors.
>>
>>14234896
>relying entirely on your mirrors for that
>>
>>14234879
not when you use your side mirrors properly. i notice a lot of people set up they're mirrors so they can see they're car in half the fucking mirror.....thats the fucking wrong way to have them set up. my only blind spot is to my immediate right or left not behind my shoulders. should take me a 45 degree glance to ether side to see if im clear or not.
>>
>>14234854
Every fucking time. If you don't you're subhuman.
>>
>>14234906
Sorry you can't drive.
>>
>>14234879
AH HA HA HA
>>
>>14234913
youre right, but it doesnt hurt to check. Plus when you're driving big trucks its best to check. If im flying down the interstate at 90mph passing everybody I MIGHT not check, but for normal driving the check is worth it (I also don't drive at 90mph passing people unless they are assholes first)
>>
>>14234920
>won't even turn his head to check before switching lanes
>says others can't drive
>>
>>14234934
a 45 degree turn should normally be sufficient. i don't consider a slight head turn to be looking over the shoulders. the only time you should honestly have to do that is in traffic that is more dense then usual / unfamiliar with the surroundings of your route ( too many distractions )
>>
>>14234937
>turns around to look
>car merges in front of you and you rearend them
>b-but I was just being safe
I bet you have to turn around to backup too faggot.
>>
Protip for adjusting your mirrors: Sitting in your seat Lean your head all the way to respective side of the car you're adjusting, adjust the mirror to where your car is slightly outside the the inner edge of the mirror.

This should make using your side mirrors magic.
>>
Yes.
>>14234977
You give a quick glance, you stupid faggot.
>>
File: mirror.jpg (19KB, 500x325px) Image search: [Google]
mirror.jpg
19KB, 500x325px
>>
>>14235007
>being this mad you're a shitty driver
Go text and drive some more child.
>>
File: what.png (2MB, 1107x822px) Image search: [Google]
what.png
2MB, 1107x822px
yeah in my personal car, sure. i can't in my work truck because all the shit in the bed blocks my rear window.
>>
Blind spot mirrors are great for merging on freeway/highways and changing lanes.

Never need to take my eyes away from the road. Once you get used to it you can't live without them.
>>
Mother
Fucking
W I D E
A N G L E
M I R R O R S

Shit should be on stock (I know some do, but not all cars come with em).
Mad helpful.
>>
>>14234989
If you have really good mirror that are slightly convex you can get a little bit of your tire in the mirror. Makes you look like a wizard backing into parking spots perfect on first try
>>
>>14234854
No, that's a good way to get into a crash.
>>
File: Yy9wfJZ.jpg (300KB, 1200x1626px) Image search: [Google]
Yy9wfJZ.jpg
300KB, 1200x1626px
>>14234854
No, the first accident I was in was because my dad was looking over his shoulder and not on the road.

>getting on I-45 in Houston
>heavy traffic, but cars still moving around 60 miles an hour
>dad is looking over his shoulder
>suddenly full stop ahead of him
>ends up slamming into the rear of a vehicle and causing a pile-up
>all because even after 25 years of driving, he didn't adjust his mirrors properly
I ended up in a neck brace and needed multiple neck and back surgeries because of that. Thanks, dad.
>>
File: shoulder check.jpg (21KB, 338x507px) Image search: [Google]
shoulder check.jpg
21KB, 338x507px
>>14234854
Of course! I hate small children!
>>
>>14234854

Yes. I also keep track of everything behind me at all times. Even when I know there is no one there I still check because it's the responsible thing to do.
>>
>>14234854
do you not!?
>>
>>14235017
Seeing the side of your car in the mirror is bad positioning.
>>
You faggots are retarded.

You don't swivel your entire body around to look over your shoulder WHILE you're changing, morons.

Just a quick glance or two moving your neck a bit and using your peripheral to spot anything immediately beside you after you check your mirrors no one's blasting down the road beside you at over 100.

It literally takes a moment to do and if you're not a retarded tailgater and you keep fair distance, a moment to check beside you won't get you into trouble up ahead.
>>
>>14235634
>It literally takes a moment to do
A moment is all it takes to crash when you are going 70+ and not looking in front of you.
>>
>>14235643
If you're a fucking retard and tailgating, maybe.
>>
>>14235651
Or if someone merges into your lane and you don't see them because you are looking behind you.
>>
>>14234854
If I don't have bubble mirrors, yes.
>>
>>14235664
>looking behind you
>BEHIND

No, faggot, BESIDE you.

Behind is what your mirrors are for.

Again, it literally takes a second to move your head to glance and move it back. The only information your brain needs is "Is there a vehicle beside me?". You don't need to take more than a one second glance for access to that info.

A car that changes into your lane ahead of you in under a second is swerving hard, and you would hear it if you weren't already looking ahead in that literal one second glance beside you.
>>
>>14235664
Regardless, it's in your test booklet and you will be at fault...so check...or don't.
>>
File: mustangday2015.jpg (744KB, 1869x893px) Image search: [Google]
mustangday2015.jpg
744KB, 1869x893px
Threads like this remind me how much shitposting we do here. Without the daily mustang threads, I almost lost hope.
>>
>>14235705
M-muh manual how do I superior heel toe bread batching. Those are so fucking numerous I don't know why they don't just put up another sticky. "How to dive a manual".
>>
>>14235696
>>14235664
Solutions to this problem
Have the bigger car
have a car that extends its width to be however many lanes wide the highway is
Have compressed shit nozzles that hook up to the light blinker controls that spray shit onto the lane in which you're aboot to go so traffic there moves out of the way
Swerve quickly left/right just a foot or so into the lane to make people honk
giant horn on top of the car that screams out "TURNING!!!!!!!!!!"
>>
>>14235721
Or, you could just look behind you and see if theres any cars coming, not that hard.
>>
The thing is, if the guy ahead is driving the way he should, he won't merge while you are close enough to rear-end him...because he will be looking back over his shoulder too.
Problem solved.
>>
File: 71fs+G+iJIL._SL1500_.jpg (58KB, 521x1500px) Image search: [Google]
71fs+G+iJIL._SL1500_.jpg
58KB, 521x1500px
Relax people. Glancing off to the side for a split second ranks pretty much bottom of the barrel on the list of things you do in a car that can cause an accident.

To be honest, I get more nervous riding in a car with someone who's eyes are glued to the road in front than someone who knows how to do quick checks to make sure there's not some tiny ass elise hugging his blindspot.

.......some people drive like they're having a fucking PTSD attack
>>
>ITT people too fat to turn their head around.

i always look in my side mirror and then shoulder check.

people do unexpected shit no matter how often you check your side mirrors. not worth avoiding a quick shoulder check
>>
>>14235736
>some people drive like they're having a fucking PTSD attack

For some reason I become one when my mother rides in the car beside me.

Maybe because she's a fucking bundle of touchy nerves and flips at the slightest mishap which scares the shit out of me and makes me lose focus for a second.
>>
File: 1380158719689.jpg (19KB, 209x200px) Image search: [Google]
1380158719689.jpg
19KB, 209x200px
>he is too much of a spastic to look over his shoulder without freaking out and crashing
>>
>>14234854
Not all the time no. I almost always have an idea of who is behind me by just using my rear and side mirrors.

However, if it has been a certain amount of time, and I no longer have knowledge of who is to the right or left of me, then I will give a quick glance.

It's actually pretty un-nearving to drive a modern car with these huge blindspots. EVEN if you turn your head, you just look a glass, and if some one is in the right spot, I wont see them.
>>
>>14234854
All the time, comes from owning way too many coupes over the years and riding a motorcycle
>>
>>14235462

Not when you have the blind spot mirrors.
>>
File: 1450153978419.png (78KB, 334x300px) Image search: [Google]
1450153978419.png
78KB, 334x300px
who the fuck checks their back? i just drive nigga. front and sides are all that matter. if someone is accelerating towards me while i switch and they don't notice, i'll at least die knowing they'll be at fault. i'd rather die putting someone to jail than live having to do their dirty work.

#/o/ttolegislation
>>
>>14235881
YOU'RE ARE THAT FAGGOT THAT CUTS ME OFF EVERY DAY.

STOP

DOING

THAT
>>
>>14235881
Nobody turns around to look at their head rest. They look over their shoulder. To the side.
>>
>>14235243
the radio isn't even on.
>>
How many of you have mini blindspot mirrors on your side mirrors?
It seems like too simple of a solution for everyone to not have them
>>
yes of course. who doesnt?
>>
>>14234879
>I'm a retard that can't setup my mirrors properly
>>
>>14234854
absolutely I look

A whole Crown Vic fits in the blind spot I have riding my bike (puny mirrors). Almost found out the hard way.

Some vehicles like my bike or jeep have mirrors that can be adjusted so there is no blind spot except behind me, or are adjusted in a way that are quite easy to see from and require a small eye flick to verify safety.
>>
>>14234854
Why wouldn't you?

If you can't turn your head to do a head check you shouldn't be driving. Period.
>>
File: 1389216259769.gif (481KB, 194x199px) Image search: [Google]
1389216259769.gif
481KB, 194x199px
>>14235881
>>
>>14235705
I learned some good stuff from this thread. I've never come to /o/ before and never really decided to learn a lot about cars until recently. Once my head injury is all fixed up and my eyes are able to adjust I will buy a car. I now know to get nice side mirrors
>>
File: 41s6w4q4AJL._SY300_.jpg (11KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
41s6w4q4AJL._SY300_.jpg
11KB, 300x300px
>>14234854
>Do you check over your shoulder when switching lanes?

Nope , I just go for it !
>pic related
>>
>>14236522
In Straya it's a legal requirement to shoulder check when lane changing.
Doesn't mean everyone does it, but people have zero excuse if they cause an accident. No risk of mutual blame for insurance.
>>
>>14235462
You should have only a little bit so you have a reference. That pic is too much, maybe like 1/2 of that. Honestly it depends on the car but it's good to have a reference if your a new driver and easily get disoriented.
>>
File: image.jpg (67KB, 555x640px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
67KB, 555x640px
>>14234863
Thought the exact same thing
>>
>>14234854
Yes. Just out of habit though. If you set up your side mirrors right, you shouldn't have to look over your shoulder.

>place head against driver window
>change mirror until you can barely see the side of your car
>place head in the center of the interior
>change other mirro until you can barely see the side of your car

Done
>>
>implying my El Camino has a blind spot
>implying I don't have my mirrors set up perfectly
>>
>>14236559
also in all the driving tests in America I believe
>>
>>14234913
>i notice a lot of people set up they're mirrors so they can see they're car in half the fucking mirror
Have fun scraping your wheel arches on tight spots.
Oh wait, you're probably murrican.
>>
>>14239285
The fuck are you doing with your mirrors pointed at your tires?
>>
i used to when i drove on the autobahn
>>
>>14235251
what this guy said. i find that regular quick glances in the rear view and left side mirror allows me to have a mental image of where everyone is. when i decide to change lanes, i practically dont have to look because i KNOW where that car i passed in the other lane is behind me.
and yea, quick 45degree head turn/eye sweep, barely a second, and im looking at the road again. now, assuming there is someone to my left, who is just ahead of me, and who doesn't have his blinker on, and who does a hard swerve into my line WHILE im looking to the right and also SLAMS HIS BRAKES once he's ahead of me... well ok maybe ill rear end him but jesus christ, this murderous malaborted son of a bitch really is trying to kill me on purpose
>>
Guise, if you have blind spots, your mirrors aren't set up correctly. An overtaking car should move from your rearview mirror to your side mirror without any gaps, and disappear from your side mirror only when you're shoulder to shoulder.

http://blog.esurance.com/forget-everything-you-know-about-rearview-mirrors/#.VphtlMtMFnE

The exception to this is if you're on a three lane highway and merging into the middle lane. Some guy from the far lane might ALSO be merging into the middle because none of you faggots follow the stay right unless passing rule.
>>
File: mcfucking-kill-yourself.jpg (20KB, 360x261px) Image search: [Google]
mcfucking-kill-yourself.jpg
20KB, 360x261px
>>14234913
>"blind spots don't exist"
>not when you use your side mirrors properly.
>my only blind spot is to my immediate right or left not behind my shoulders.
>>
>>14234854
No, because I'm still in high school and have only been driving for six months
>>
No, my car has well thought out side mirrors that are adjusted correctly.

>muh overengineering
>>
>>14239285
That's called being aware of your surroundings and feeling the size of your car. I'm European and I call bullshit on your murica meme, being from Europe is no excuse for needing side mirrors to not scrap your car on shit.

People like you are the reason Americans unironically believe that europeans aren't better drivers, can't even fucking blame them.
>>
>>14242274
a.k.a. I'm underage and don't have much driving experience outside of my hometown
>>
last time i checked over my shoulder i got pulled for driving without lights on.

...i usually keep a very close eye on my wing mirrors and rear view.

driving 14 years.
>>
>>14234874
>>14234896
>>14234913
>>14234920
>>14234989
>>14235024
>>14235192
>>14235236
>>14235243
>>14235643
>>14235664
>>14236291
>>14236522
>>14238547
>>14238555
>>14242266
>>14242274
>>14242322

Confirmed for villagers who never drive on roads with more than 2 lanes.

>Behind a cloud of smoke
>A Miata
>Crushed underneath a 70,000 lb. dump truck that merged from the 3rd lane
>An anon is visible protruding from the wreckage
>His wheezing, dying breath escapes him now
>"B-b-b-but I adjusted my mirrors rightttt"
>"So I wouldnt -gasp- have to looook..."

>But at least he didn't have to look over his shoulder.
>>
>>14242456
Looking doesn't really help in the Miata anyway, since the top is basically a giant B pillar that blocks your view.

The mirrors are literally the better option.
>>
>>14242524

Miata was picked because.

>Immature muh perfect driving boyracer mentality incarnate.

Not because it fits reality perfectly.
>>
I did all the time in my truck because it was a single cab and easy to do.
It also had a sturdy bench seat that I could leverage myself on
>>
>Retarded americunts, the thread

Always check. Saved me more than once.
>>
Of course. Don't wanna kill a biker
Thread posts: 85
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.