[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Total n00b wants to be a race car driver.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 6

File: news070408a2_story.jpg (107KB, 400x267px) Image search: [Google]
news070408a2_story.jpg
107KB, 400x267px
How would a 19-year old who lives with his mom, go from sitting in his room to learning to drive a race car?
>>
>>14230895
Get a descent racing wheel and buy Asseto Corsa
>>
>>14230895
You will never be good enough to be competitive, you missed you chance by not starting in kart racing at a young age. Being very wealthy helps too.
>>
>>14230900
>buy
>>
File: image.jpg (151KB, 909x647px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
151KB, 909x647px
>>14230895
>build race car
>learn to drive it well
>???
>profit!!
>>
Get a job that pays well to support your racing hobby on the side.

If you mean those "show up and drive" guys that get paid millions, it's too late. Most of them started out when they were like, 6 in karting. Not to mention the money their parents put towards their training and career.

Either way you need a lot of money.
>>
>get car
>drive it

so hard
>>
>>14230895
Step 1 buy race car
Step 2 race
>>
Karts.
>Cheap
>Fun
>You can get from shit to "sorta ok"
>>
Chump car/ LeMons is the most entry level racing but you need a prepped car and 2-3 like minded friends.
>>
>all this niggers mentioning karts
Except karts are nothing like cars, they don't even have a transmission for fuck's sake.
>>
vtec yo
>>
>>14231048
They teach the principles of driving, something critical to learn as young as you can. You just don't learn as fast as you did when you were a kid and it's not exactly like you can through a kid in a formula car and just let him drive lol
>>
>>14230895

Wheel+Racing Simulator like rFactor 2 or Assetto Corsa

Then a cheap series like spec miata or chumpcar
>>
Buy a tofu shitbox and hit the touge
>>
>>14230895
win the powerball
>>
>>14231099
>chumpcars
>lemons
>spec miata

LOL

do not do any of those

search for local tracks and see what kind of regular series they have

karting is also a good choice too, although it really depends where you live. Traveling with a kart is easier too.
>>
buy a twingo
>>
>>14231048
Protip: a shifter kart is faster than anything road legal you will ever afford, and the basic principle is the same, they just have no suspension.
>>
>>14231211
>no suspension
>basically the same
You are cutting out 80% of the actual skill.
>>
>>14231916
Glad we have experts like you to warn people away from those terrible karts (where 95% of professional racers start, guess they are doing it wrong)
>>
>>14231920
>95% of racing starts
Yes, and those karts have fuck all to do with actual racing larger cars.
>>
>>14231920
Well you usually don't start a child in a 800 horsepower V8
>>
Get a banger and try dirt racing.
>>14231931
Only if you're a pussy.
>>
>>14231970
>retarded

Also if you want to do dirt racing your best bet is pony cars to start you off.
>>
if you live in bongland

>get a race licence
>get a car that can compete in racing you want to do
>join race club
>go to race meetings
>race and have a giggle
>waste all your money

>14231211
>shifter kart is faster than anything road legal you will ever afford

>sportbikes aren't road legal

ayyy
y
y
y
>>
>>14232050

>14231211

fucks sake meant to quote >>14231211

but seriously

>implying even a Lightweight or Middleweight bike isn't faster than a kart
>>
>>14232050
>paying $5000 a year to just visit a track
>>
>>14231976
>retarded
Sink or swim, pham
>>
>>14230895
Karting. Go to your local track sometime, find out exactly how they do things, and work from there.
>>
>>14230895

Sorry to break your heart mate, but you're too old now. If you're a naturally good driver, then you can make it to the club circuits maybe. Stock cars, autograss definitely. But unless you're extremely rich and can foot the bill for a team and car yourself, then you'll never make it to the big boys club, sorry, You're 9 years too late.
>>
>>14231048
pretty much all professional drivers with skills worth a damn, started in karts at a very young age
>>
>you will never buy a Ferrari seat and ruin a LMP guy's race
feelsgoodman.mpg

Fuck Ferrari!
>>
>>14232058
I forgot about bikes.
>>14231916
M8 literally the only difference is curbs are more scary
>>
>>14231925
In addition to being incredibly fast, most kart classes are really close which teaches driver skill instead of relying on the machines advantage. You are going to pass the other guy because you have the balls to brake later, and were better at picking lines in thr corners.
>>
>>14232102
>If you're a naturally good driver
I'm not OP, but my driving style is like Jenson Button's.
I'm faster than him, though.
>>
>>14232169
>most kart classes are really close
Right, just like F1 is really close
>>
File: pir.webm (3MB, 853x480px) Image search: [Google]
pir.webm
3MB, 853x480px
>>14230895
Go karts. Cheap to buy, cheap to race, and small enough to tow around with your daily driver. Go karts are the way to get the most amount of seat time per dollar spent.

>>14231925
There are some differences to the way a kart drives vs. a car. There are some things you can do in a kart (particularly shifters) that you can't in a car and in a car there's a much longer delay while you wait for springs to load and unload compared to the near-instant chassis flexing of a kart. The vast majority of driving knowledge you learn from karts translates very well over to cars though and all the racecraft is exactly the same. All you gotta do is learn a different rhythm.
>>
>>14232193
And you have two options.

1. Buy a 5000 dollar racing kart and pay track fees and race fees and a full suit

2. buy a Miata and learn weight transfer and momentum in actual leagues
>>
>>14232185
The karts themselves are very close in performance. TAG consists of Leopard or Rotax motors, mostly. There are classes like DD2 and world formula which run a spec engine (and trans for DD2).
>>
>>14232206
>Buy miata

Aaaand you blew it
>>
>>14232231
He sure did.
>>
>>14232206
The kart classes I recommend starting with (4-stroke) you can get a used kart for around $2-3k and they are very much momentum classes. And weight transfer applies for all forms of karting, just because there's no suspension doesn't mean there isn't weight transfer.

Before I started karting I drove a miata on many track days and conefagging events. Racing in a big pack of people wheel-to-wheel made my driving skill improve way faster than lapping alone ever did. If you really want to git gud you need to race wheel-to-wheel. Spec Miata is fine, but the budget necessary is an order of magnitude more than what you need to race karts.
>>
>>14232231
>>14232236
>>14232237

Oh hey, you could do what you want, and buy a foxbody mustang, but that won't teach you jack shit, Just like kart racing won't teach you jack shit about real racing.

But hey, enjoy your 5000 dollar children toy
>>
>>14232256
>kart racing won't teach you jack shit about real racing

Please, please, please be bait. Nobody can possibly be this stupid.
>>
>>14232268
Don't give him any more (You)s
>>
>>14232256
Kart racing is way cheaper
>>
>>14232268
>Nobody can possibly be this stupid.
Miata drivers.
>>
>>14232268
Well you enjoy your make believe racing kart stuff, you aren't going to learn jack shit from it, it transfer nothing into to actual racing a car.

>hurr durr my weight transfer
Leaning your body and moving your legs in and out to adjust center of gravity is far more useful to biking then it is in auto racing dumb fucks.

>racing in a pack
Stop cone fagging and go to a actual track day or race event.
>>
>>14231211
>no suspension
>go kart racing, secretly masterbating.
>>
>>14232325
Kart racing wheel to wheel teaches you about actual, y'know, racing, as another anon explained. >>14232240

You will learn how to pass, you will learn good racing lines, you will learn improvised lines, and you will learn how to brake as late as possible. You will do all this while fighting with a field of 10-15 or so other drivers trying to occupy the same space, at least at the beginning of the race.
>>
>>14232325
>>14232378
Oh yeah and
>Leaning your body
Nobody does that shit. A kart seat is an extremely deep bucket seat, you are locked in place.
>>
>>14232378
And guess what, you can do all that at a real track day and race event in a real car, And on top of that learn how real weight transfer and suspensions work.

>brake late
you are a fucking idiot, Yea cool you learned to brake late, without weight transfer, Without understanding how the vehicle will adjust traction based on the suspension.

you spent years driving karts and it doesn't even transition into driving a real car.
>>
File: hectic.webm (2MB, 853x480px) Image search: [Google]
hectic.webm
2MB, 853x480px
Last year I raced Skip Barber formula cars, this year I'm going to focus on karting again to save up and purchase my own Formula Continental for 2017. Doing a full season of arrive-and-drive and flying across the country every race is too expensive for me and I think I'll learn more from developing a car rather than racing spec cars anyway.

>>14232397
Karts don't have springs and shocks, instead they rely on the flex of a mild steel frame to do the work of a suspension. All the driving mechanics to a flexing frame are very similar to those of a rigid frame with suspension and your skills translate very well. Weight transfer is exactly the same, what's different is the delay it takes for a flexing frame to settle compared to springs, but that is something you'll pick up right away if you're an experienced karter good at driving.
>>
>>14232397
>car dives forward under braking, rear end gets loose
>kart doesn't do that as much
Wow, so different!
>>
>>14232476
>car while under braking
>weight is on the front wheels causing more traction
>attempt to accelerate out of corner
>weight is now at the rear of the vehicle causing less turning traction
>the weight is also on far more on the outside pushing wheel causing addition traction
>have to manage throttle appropriately

>go kart
>just go around the corner
>not enough power to screw it up
>very little weight transfer involved. to the point you don't even feel it

Have fun crashing all the time once you realized you learned nothing in real cars and turn out like this faggot, >>14232430 Who knows he sucks because we wasted too much time in go karts and can't make up the skill difference in a full suspension vehicle.
>>
Take enough dmt for you to imagine yourself becoming a racecar driver
>>
>>14232497
>be braking until apex
>get like 95% of cornering done
>then start accelerating
>only have to go mostly straight

>karts not having enough power to get hektik
>not knowing karts corner by tripodding, teaching different levels of grip
>>
>>14232497
Karts literally require rib vests to protect your ribcage from getting bruised, you feel so much G-force. To say you don't feel it is pants on head retarded.
>>
>>14232581
>G force is identical to weight transfer
Completely different feelings m8.
>>
>>14232594
>pressed into the side of your seat for both
>not the same basic thing
>>
>>14232604
>oh boy I'm so ready for racing this car
>Go karting got me ready with this g-force feeling
>suddenly in a corner
>you are now feeling your body lift and roll 2 -5 degrees forwards and backwards
>you see the hood go up and down
Sure is identical

And it's not something you can just compensate for either. It takes far more practice, and spending your last 2 years only doing karts is going to teach you bad habits that don't work in real cars.
>>
OP here

Looked into Karts, found this one for 1.5k

http://gokartsusa.com/Voodoo-Racer-Go-Kart-Honda-Clone-Adult-Race-Go-Kart-1.aspx

What do you think? Is it worth it? Or do I start off with a regular car?
>>
>>14232629
Karting doesn't really teach you any bad habits, it's just like high level race cars and not spec Miata with wibbly-wobbly suspension. It teaches you to pass, it teaches lines, it teaches braking. If you find yourself autocrossing like I did, you just go "oh, I see" and pretty much carry on since proper racing lines really aren't terribly affected by weight transfer.
>>
Lol @ this idiot saying karts don't have gears and that karting skills dont transfer to cars.

every single dynamic transfers to cars. and you can feel weight transfer and flex in the chassis of a kart.

For racing skills (totally separate from driving skills) you can't beat karting.

bitter faggot is mad 10 year olds can drive better than him.
>>
>>14232649
Don't order a kart on line. Go to your local kart track and look at their used karts. You want something with a World Formula class engine (Briggs and Stratton) and a chassis by Birel, maybe Rocket, ItalKart, or Intrepid, or whatever else the local guys run.
>>
How do I get into karting I'm so confused
>>
>>14232665
>>14232664
>>
Buy a Spec Miata
>>
>>14232651
All of those you can learn in a regular car on a track and also not have to deal with relearning handling later.
>>
>>14232651
>proper race lines aren't effected by weight transfer
Oh look a dumb fuck
>>
>>14230895
>Have parents that are millionaires
>Parents pay 100,000 a season so I can race karts all over Europe
>Skip a season and parents buy me a house instead
>Dad connected so land a graduate position at BAE systems before I graduate
>>
>>14232649
stick to name brand chassis and classes

tonykart, birel, crg, energy, arrow, etc whichever has support in your area. look at EKN and SKUSA to find who is near you. buying used from someone moving to a new class is the best compromise.

best class to start in as an adult would be TAG.

karting is barely less expensive than a regular track car though.

>>14232629
my god someone should let max verstappen know so he can correct all his "bad karting habits"

get redbull on the phone
>>
>>14232708
>go karting to formula 1
Yea, why am I not surprised a pay to win sport to a pay to win sport.

To top it off F1 has very little suspension movement just like the karts.

There is a reason F1 driver suck ass at every other sport.
>>
>>14232692
For way more money you mean?
>relearning handling
What do you have to relearn? If you understand anything about your car's mechanicals you know what to expect and it shouldn't take more than a lap or three to adjust. Race cars are pretty damn stiff, I dunno what you're racing that wallows around like a goddamn pig.
>>14232700
>Be braking all the way up to apex
>mid to late apex is ideal
>weight transfer to front wheels actually helps steering if anything
>be mostly done with steering at apex
>start accelerating at apex
>steering loss doesn't really matter because you're just fading back to the outside
>>
>>14232731
>race cars
So you went from a 5k go kart to an 50k race car

Congrats on mommy and daddy paying for everything.
>>
File: click_click_click.jpg (175KB, 683x797px) Image search: [Google]
click_click_click.jpg
175KB, 683x797px
>>14232721
Oh I see now, this whole charade has just been bait.
>>
>>14230895
MOD SQUAD
>>
>>14232738
Isn't there some anon here with a 15k Formula Ford?
>>
>>14232739
>goes from go karting, to F3, to F1
>going up in suspension design and usage
>his finishes start to suffer more and more and more
Put him in a DTM race and watch him finish at the back of the pack.
>>
>>14232721
Holy shit you're so fucking bitter and delusional it's actually pathetic.

10 minute reminder that every CIK european junior championship 12 year old is a better driver than you will ever be :( :(
>>
>>14232743
More karts without suspensions.
>>
>>14232744
Have you ever considered that he's moving to more and more skilled classes?
>>
>>14232750
bitter reminder that all europeans are shit drivers compared to japs.

>>14232754
In other words showing he learned jack shit.
>>
>>14232762
>be in class designed as gateway
>be good
>move up to class where everyone is as good as you or better because they all graduated

>nah bruh weight transfer is a huge thing for F1 cars and matters for all race cars period
You seriously cannot be this stupid
>>14232753
>Formula ford
>no suspension
>>
>>14232744
Dude, you're retarded. DTM cars have like 2 inches of spring travel. He would probably do better in DTM since the cars are more balanced.
>>
>>14232762
>bitter reminder that all europeans are shit drivers compared to japs
Actually jap racing drivers have a history of not doing so great when they get to the global stage.
>>
>>14233118
I know, its almost like Europeans have this long racing heritage and almost always win big racing events like the Le Mans, which are all hosted in Europe.
>>
>>14232762
Really? How many japs have won Le Mans? Oh yeah, that's right two of them.
>>
>>14232664
>>14232649
I recommend finding a chassis brand that has local support. That way you don't have to keep spares around for your chassis-specific parts and never have to wait forever or pay expensive shipping to get parts from Europe. There are probably a two or three chassis dealers in your area if you're on one of the coasts, hit your local karting track and ask around, the people there will be able to point you to who you need to talk to. They probably have a good selection of used karts for sale as well.

As for class, any of the 4-stroke classes are great to start with. Make sure you pick the one that's popular in your area though. Might be World Formula, might be LO206, might be Clone. The key is to have a big pack of 20+ karts to compete with.

>>14232665
You have to go and physically talk to people. Unfortunately like most racing there is very little information online, and what information is there can be pretty confusing. A decent large resource is http://ekartingnews.com/, it's a nationwide forum.

Also here's a google maps of tracks, not sure how complete it is though: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=zEhJmOvm7J7w.koAqAZY0HHWc
>>
>>14233290
>Le meme's
It's a shit race that the winner is based on most money spent.
>>
>>14233598
I'll call nissan and tell them that, after all they fucking poured money into their LM racer they should have won no?
Thread posts: 92
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.