[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why hasn't the Porsche 928's engine seen more use in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

File: Porsche_M28.jpg (232KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Porsche_M28.jpg
232KB, 800x600px
>DOHC V8
>Aluminium block and heads
>122.8mm bore spacing (LS7 has 111.8mm)
>227mm deck height
>Can be resleeved and stroked to over 7.5L
>Can be had cheap because very few normies like the 928's design

I mean Jesus fuck, why don't they use these as a base for drag racing? Think of all those revs and airflow.
>>
Back to forza
>>
Cuz that thing weighs as much as an iron big block.
makes shit power
lol no torque
>>
>>14227254
none of those things are true
or was that the point?
>>
>>14227268
According to http://members.rennlist.com/pirtle/s4specs.htm

The 5.0 variant weighs 580 lbs which is massive for an aluminum v8. Dressed aluminium big blocks with aluminum blocks weigh similar yet have upwards of 500+ ci. Not to mention that the power in a lot of dohc configs are up high, and a drag race is over in moments. That's why turbos aren't used too frequently in drag classes
>>
>>14227425
Wiki enthusiast
>>
>>14227435
Am I wrong?
>>
>>14226646
>Water cooled Porsche engine

Never Ever.
>>
Because it's a Porsche engine thus very expensive to fix.
>>
Id rather take an ancient SBC and just throw on an aluminium intake and heads

more compact
cheaper
more aftermarket
more reliable
easier to find
>>
>>14227453
I would imagine both of them blown up would make similar numbers.

The Porsche v8 will cost 3-4x that because American V8s have a giant market.
>>
>>14227476
Saying aluminum intake tells me you don't know shit
>>
>>14227509
what

do you prefer a cast iron intake or somehting
>>
>>14227425
so none of it is true? okay
>>
>>14227531
Thank you for proving my point. Stick to forza
>>
>>14226646
Seriously good question. With all these bullshit american pushrod crap V8s being so overdeveloped, masking it's inherent shittiness with displacement, we can finally have a proper DOHC V8 option with all the flow pushfags could only dream of PLUS the displacement! See this is good thinking from OP right here.
>OHVfags on suicide watch
>>
>>14227560
shitposting is going downhill these days I tell ya what
>>
>>14227565
Smalldick/10
>>
>>14227565
pushrodfags weren't stopping you beforehand either
>>
OP here. High end drag engines use shit like billet blocks, forged internals, overhauled cooling and fuel systems etc. to the point where there's little resemblance to the production engine whatsoever.

Wouldn't an engine (such as the 928's) with overhead cams (in an application where weight and space constraints aren't top priority) be preferred to an OHV engine to enable higher airflow and durability at high revs? I know there are people out there getting 11K RPM from pushrods, but they need a lot more maintenance than OHC setups and airflow can't be optimised with 2 valves.

Hence my curiosity towards the Porsche M28's relative absence from motorsport considering its modification capacity.
>>
>>14227701
I suppose you need to ask Porsche why they didn't use it for motorsports either.
>>
>>14227710
Probably weight. Porsche doesn't compete in drag racing so such an engine would be impractical for circuit racing when they have lighter flat 6's.
>>
>>14227701
>Hence my curiosity towards the Porsche M28's relative absence from motorsport considering its modification capacity.
Few people even know it's an option, but they get full color catalogs to their house weekly about LS engines and it's aftermarket. Which one do you think Joe Jackass is going to go for?
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.