[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mopeds and Helmets

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6

File: 1980-mag-iig.jpg (87KB, 639x426px) Image search: [Google]
1980-mag-iig.jpg
87KB, 639x426px
Hey /o/,
I just bought this puch moped, its fucking awesome, but I need to cop a helmet. Is there any specific style I should go for? What's a fair price to pay?

I was thinking of getting a full faced helmet, would 100$ be enough?
>>
>>14218821
full face on a moped is kidna stupid.

just get a half face.

also a good full face is like $450+
>>
>>14218821
>also a good full face is like $450+

Holy christ WTF?!?!
>>
>>14218834
How so? Can your face and chin not take damage at speeds below 35mph?
>>
>>14218821
youre not going down hard on a moped if you go down at all. get a cheap helmet that will prevent stitches if you faceplant

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/170889700207?ul_noapp=true&chn=ps&lpid=82
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/201454507591?ul_noapp=true&chn=ps&lpid=82

i used a bmx helmet when i used to have a tomos targa lx, didnt use it one.
>>
File: agv-k3-wake-up-valentino-rossi.jpg (80KB, 800x772px) Image search: [Google]
agv-k3-wake-up-valentino-rossi.jpg
80KB, 800x772px
>>14218834
>full face on a moped is kinda stupid.
you can still eat a bee or a face full of dirt
>also a good full face is like $450+
no
$150 will get you a decent lid
>>
File: 14170041466_21eeea13b9_b.jpg (243KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
14170041466_21eeea13b9_b.jpg
243KB, 1024x1024px
>>
File: IMG_2179.jpg (2MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2179.jpg
2MB, 2592x1936px
my personal choice is open face as it offers a better field of view than a full face lid, and yeah i know i'm playing a risk game with the lower half of my face should i come off face first, and lets face it tarmac at 35 is still nasty, not as nasty as 150mph, but still fuckin sore.
alternatively you could opt for a flip up lid, bear in mind though those helmets are designed to be strong in the down position only.
>>
>>14218868
You wear a full face helmet on your bike, too? Sure, a full face helmet is always safest, but at scooter speeds you're more likely to get concussed on the side or back of your head than the front. It's pretty hard to do an endo on a scooter desu; the center of gravity is pretty low.
>>
>>14219466
This. 3/4 helmet with a good visor is perfect for scooting. I hate getting hit in the face with rocks and shit. It's bad enough when a bee nails you in the chest.
>>
>>14218821
How much did you get that beauty for?
>>
>>14221101
only 500$!
>>
File: helmets_596.jpg (45KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
helmets_596.jpg
45KB, 800x533px
one of these

if you want a real helmet get a real bike
>>
nice magnum, its the best puch model. how much did you pay?

any full face work be fine, I found one at a garage sale for $20
>>
Calm down don't need a windshield
>>
>>14218821
Helmets aren't fashion accessories
Get a decent full faced one
>>
>>14219466
Holy shit, you're still on /o/? Can we get another taxi story thread again someday?
>>
>>14219431

Safe-T QT
>>
>>14218821
a decent bell/hjc/scorpion runs for $100, get a measuring tape and measure your head out, if you're in between sizes go a size down, they'll break in and feel "snug".

check out eBay and a few other sites:

www.motorcyclecloseouts.com (usually has bell vortexes and lower end scorpion/hjcs for $80-120)

www.motorcycle-superstore.com (i bought a bell mx9 adventure off them for $75, they also have a bell qualifier dlx for $45 which is a better helmet than any kind of half/3/4 face)

http://www.ebay.com/usr/motorheadzone (i seriously recommend these guys, awesome return policy and have a ton of bell helmets on closeout, they have RS1s for $160-190 which is considered their "top of the line" helmet for $400 msrp, and a bunch of vortex/mx9s for $75-100)

if you were going on a motorcycle (faster speeds, more potential to crash hard from improper cornering/idiots going into you) i'd get a snell/ece rated helmet.
>>
>>14224297
Thanks anon!

Is it better to order online or should I visit a motorcycle shop? (Cambridge, Mass) I don't really know my measurements.
>>
>>14224807
Try a bunch on in a physical shop and (if you're a shitty person) buy them cheap online
>>
>>14224868
Exactly.

Do that, I suggest doing it at a place like Cycle Gear just to get a "rough" idea of your sizing. Alternatively a dealer/shop, but they might not be as "enthusiastic" to help like Cycle Gear usually is.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a helmet from them just because they all sell either $60-200 Bilt/Sedicis (Rebranded Chinese Crap with little to no R&D) or $300-600 Arais/Shoeis. I thought I was a Medium when I first measured my head using a tape measure, but actually fitting helmets I was closer to a small.

Cycle Gear's Bilt/Sedici store brand is generally shit quality and won't last, to add I'd personally would trust more a company that's in the business of making helmets (and likely has in house testing rigs, R&D facilities, etc to ensure its safe in any kind of impact like Bell/HJC/Scorpion) than a company who just rebrands them. Bell/Scorpion at least has a decent warranty on their stuff, and all 3 brands are used frequently in motorcycle racing (so if its good for a racer on a track who expects to go down at some point, it'll probably be fine for you).
>>
>>14224986
Forgot to add generally helmets "break in" so if it feels snug and the helmet has a even pressure surrounding your head (but not excessive) the cheekpads will eventually start breaking in and forming to your face/head. The Bell I bought at first felt like it cut circulation, but after I wore it for 2 hours around the house it felt "just right" (another reason to order online: a lot of retailers follow a policy that once that helmet leaves the store, it can't get returned).
>>
File: helmetDamage[1].gif (14KB, 685x303px) Image search: [Google]
helmetDamage[1].gif
14KB, 685x303px
>>14218821
Fullface
ALWAYS
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.