[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Eccentric wiper design

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

File: Scheibenwischer4.svg.png (9KB, 400x230px) Image search: [Google]
Scheibenwischer4.svg.png
9KB, 400x230px
Why dont more vehicles use this design? Its the one that Mercedes use the most. The wiper transmission draws and arc over the windshield so that one large blade covers most of the glass.
There are huge benefits to this.
>Single blade
>Better coverage
>Symmetrically clean glass
>Assumingly a less complex design
All wiper blade system use some sort of transmission to transfer power from the motor, to the blades. The Eccentric system takes up less space, and does a better job.
This system should best be used for rear wipers. Most modern rear glass is largely rectangular, and a circular motion of a tiny 14" blade doesnt cover a lot.

A lot of cars now have one huge main wiper, and a tiny followup wiper that covers the last bit. Whats the point of this? Just use the eccentric design already!
>>
>>14217788
Seems really stupid when you'll turn it to full blast when a ton of rain is coming down. It could work on the rear, I wouldn't put it on the front
>>
Who cares lol
>>
Fast speeds wouldn't work well I imagine, plus any significant amount of snow may be too much for one big blade
>>
File: wiper3.jpg (83KB, 642x482px) Image search: [Google]
wiper3.jpg
83KB, 642x482px
>>14217892
but that's where they are used the most. Have you never seen this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwzyaX0CkX8>>14217897

>Fast speeds wouldn't work well I imagine, plus any significant amount of snow may be too much for one big blade

I would think that the motor having to only work one blade, and a less complex transmission would equal more power transfer.
>>
>>14218054
although looking at that casing, I can see why this might not be so popular.

Looks like a CNC milled aluminum block to keep the weight down, and prob requires more regular lube intervals.
>>
I like the design... covers nicely thanks to the mechanism that makes the blade-arm retract when its completely vertical, allowing it to pass along the upper edge of the windshield while also keeping as close to the left and right edge of the windshield for maximum coverage, replacing blades is cheaper and I kinda think it looks better. Only problem is that the mechanism is a piece of shit to fix if it ever goes wrong, and as such I've carefully cleaned and greased mine.

>>14217892
Not an issue at all, works just as well as any other car

>>14217897
They have quite powerful electric motors, and as of yet I still haven't been in a snowstorms heavy enough to give it any amount of trouble
>>
>>14218054
Just because it works doesn't mean it's efficient or good for parts longevity
>>
>>14218294
Just because the sky is blue doesn't mean I'll eat a burger for lunch today either, what's your point?
>>
Good question. The mono wiper arm is a great example of simplistic design. Its a real wonder why other manufacturers have not implemented this, or why Mercedes ever stopped.
>>
File: Windshield.jpg (79KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Windshield.jpg
79KB, 1024x768px
>>14217788
My elise has a similar design.
Pic related: Not mine but shows the wiper.
>>
Is there a better wiper design that I can put on my car? I had to replace my wiper motor twice now because shitty design chewed the wheels inside.
>>
>>14218332
Superfluous engineering. People don't buy new cars to fix things every couple thousand miles. You're getting really upset over a retarded design over something that doesn't really matter
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.