[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How many of you are Automotive Engineers? I know mechanics make

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 7

File: tcx.jpg (7KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
tcx.jpg
7KB, 300x225px
How many of you are Automotive Engineers? I know mechanics make shit money, but I still want to work with cars. This seems like a good option. Any advice or opinions?
>>
>>14217234
engineering is different from wrenching i think is the one that everyone gives
doesn't mean it won't be fun, but it's not gonna be anything like wrenching or being a mechanic
>>
Why would you think that engineering is anything like being a mechanic.
Engineers don't touch a tool in their entire career.
>>
>>14217247
>Engineers don't touch a tool in their entire career.
Maybe the shitty ones . . . . In the past like 3 decades there's been this huge movement in engineering to get engineers to do hands on shit both in uni and in work and avoid exactly that
>>
>>14217247
Lol no. I work RnD as an electrical engineer and I still touch tools all the time. But it honestly depends on where you go. Some places yeah you don't don't shit but some you're essentially a blue collar worker with a degree and a big paycheck.
>>
>>14217258
I don't know where you live, but where I come from companies won't waste the time of smart, educated people on wrenching crap together that any moron could do.
>>
>>14217234
Im a performance and emissions engineer for caterpillar.
Its alright, i sit at a desk all day and ask the technicians to run the tests i design, or fit the parts i want tested.
>>
>>14217268
Move to Japan or Germany.
>>
>>14217268
>that any moron could do
Adds too many variables. It's not like we build production units, engineers build prototypes and hack shit together for testing. Not that others can't do it, and not that engineers don't fuck up, but you can't trust "any moron" to piece together a prototype with no instructions, no knowledge of the product, no insight as to why things need to be a certain way, generally no Idea how to fix it if something doesn't go together correctly etc etc.

The only time you don't touch tools as an engineer is if you're in a management position, but then you're making so much money you don't give a shit.
>>
I'm working on my Mechanical Engineering degree.
>>
40-60k is shit money.
/o/
>>
>>14217797
It's not sit but it's not great either.
>>
>>14217797
Entry level engineering (straight out of school) is 50-65k.
>>
>>14217804
fair enough but you can buy a home and live comfortably as a wrench. and returns come sooner as all you need is tools to start or a comm. college or tech school degree if you want a leg up.
>>
>>14217811
that's nice but it still doesn't make mechanic wages shit. its like working at denny's and calling mcwages shit.

>any moron can flip a burger, you need proper training to make a grand slam.
>>
>>14217827
>Thinks a mechanic is anything near an engineer
Lol
>Thinks mechanics make 60k usd
Lol, yeah maybe after 20 years if you're lucky.
>>
>>14217266
>muh outlier
>muh EE
Shut the fuck up, idiot.
90% of mechanical engineers sit in a cubicle and make phone calls.
It's absolutely nothing like being a mechanic. Nothing.
>>
>>14217247
I don't know about mechanic and automotive, but as far as electrical is concerned you could not be more wrong.

You sure as shit better know how to use an oscilloscope, multimeter, function/signal generator, spectrum analyzer, or any other instrument you might need to do your job correctly and there are hundreds of different kinds. And you should be able to solder including doing SMD rework, yeah you probably won't have to do it often but a lot of companies are trying to "do more with less" so jobs that would have fallen to techs a few years ago now have to get done by engineers.

I'd wager this holds true for ME and AE too.
>>
>>14217910
I made 62 last year, only been at it for 4 years.
$28/hr x 40hrs. x 52wks= $58k factor in overtime, bonuses and field pay. Dealer and master techs make quite a bit more than I do.

>>14217910
>Thinks he's an engineer, cant do simple maths.
>>
>>14217247
why would you think there's only one type of engineering?
some need to be hands on, some don't.
>>
>>14217949
>Thread about mechanical engineers
>As far as electrical is concerned..
Literally stopped reading.

The only time you are going to do "mechanic" type work as a mechanical engineer is if you're working in a firm that employs like 10 people. And even then it's 10% of your job.

Picking up a ratchet for 30 minutes doesn't mean a mechanic is anywhere in the realm of being a mechanical engineer.

To even argue otherwise is just autistic nitpicking.
>>
>>14217977
>I did 40+ hours a week of manual labor and made 58k pre-taxed after bonuses and per diem
Ok.
>>
>>14217234
If you want to design mechanical side of the cars you better get into electric systems.

Classic car with Ottos motor only has a few decades left.
>>
>>14217234
Mechanics can make great money actually if youre not a deadbeat and you can do well in school.

UTI students for example, can become techs for Audi or BMW in a matter of a couple years for a very low price.

Basically you do well on tests, rate at the top of your class, and then they will offer you internships.

When you graduate you could be making 60 - 80k a year as a tech for some of the high end automotive manufacturers.
>>
>>14218049
>a few decades
So in other words.. a really long time..
At which point you can switch jobs.
>>
>>14217234
Best option would be becoming a mechanic for a official dealer. (i.e. Toyota dealer) At least here in Belgium you'll get a good 2000 Dollar/Month as a beginner.
>>
>>14218062
It can be as little as 2 decades. Try switching careers when you are 50.

Still, shit that needs to work in remote locations, long hours etc will continue to use good old liquid dinosaurs so heavy trucks, all kinds of construction vehicles and shit will continue to need that profession. Also chassis design, suspension systems, tyre engineering, safety systems and so on will still need engineers. Lighting may be fun to work in.
>>
>>14218123
Cars will still need mechanical oriented engineers.
Electric motors are still designed by mechanical oriented engineers. Gears, transmissions, suspension, frames, etc.
Every mechanically moving part will be in some way touched by a mechanical engineer.
>>
>>14218029
yes gross but that was base wage before bonuses.
> wants a job requiring a degree
lacks basic reading comprehension

>I did 40+ hours a week of manual labor and made 58k pre-taxed after bonuses and per diem

>I made 62 last year, only been at it for 4 years.
$28/hr x 40hrs. x 52wks= $58k factor in overtime, bonuses and field pay.
>>
>>14218151
I lack comprehension for retarded arguments. I'll make more than you my first day and I won't have to do monotonous manual labor to make it. The cost of your tools is probably more than my education.
>>
>>14218165
So you haven't even got a job yet?
Have you ever had a job?
Or are you just another shit cunt loser posting on 4chan about how much money you're definitely going to make?

Best of luck m8
>>
File: boringshit.jpg (67KB, 575x323px) Image search: [Google]
boringshit.jpg
67KB, 575x323px
>>14218165
>>14217910
enjoy staring at this for the rest of your life while your gut grows and your vision fades. Stuck living in one of the few places that you can find gainful employment.
http://www.engineerjobs.com/jobs/mechanical-engineering/?e=e
beautiful locations, id love to live in beautiful, educated, progressive...Winchester, KY

>Entry level engineering (straight out of school) is 50-65k.
>>I made $62k last year
so if you get lucky and beat out all the other qualified applicants in your area you will make a whopping...wait for it.
65k/365=178.08/day
62k/365=169.86/day
difference is $8.22
you're never going to make it with that attitude anyways

>my entire tuition,housing, personal computer, and books only cost ~$5700
engineering maths
>>
>>14217712
This. How does one honestly think an Engineer operates only in this "theoretical non-physical space". They absolutely must use tools at some point to do their job.
>>
>>14218286
>at some point
>>
>>14218321
>>14218286
No they don't Engineers don't touch tools ever. What do you think an engineer is going to waste his food energy holding monkey tools doing shit labor like a filthy tech grunt? I don't think so motherfucker. Engineers don't fuck with tools, period. Maybe if you werent such a pleb wageslave, you'd know that, prick. We're too smart and elite for that.
>>
>>14218348
maf because >>14218249 pushed your shit in?
>>
>>14218348
>wageslave
confirmed NEET
>>
>>14217921
Are you a mechanical engineer?
If not shove it up your ass. Every job isn't quite the same.
>>
>>14218348
>engineers
>elite
K E K
E
K
>>
>>14217752
Me too. I have to take calc I and general chem this upcoming semester. I'm not worried about calculus but I'm really scared of chemistry. I took it in the past but I had to withdraw because it was really difficult for me.
>>
>mfw cant even get a apprenticeship through TAFE or jobseek and i live near a city of 100k people
Straya
>>
File: t7bf66f_Untitled-5.jpg (89KB, 1600x1066px) Image search: [Google]
t7bf66f_Untitled-5.jpg
89KB, 1600x1066px
I'm a student of Automotive Engineering. There isn't much difference to Mechanical Engineering though - just a few more courses on car related stuff.

If you like cars, better stay away from Automotive engineering.
I lost almost all my interest for cars. I don't give a shit about the car industry, I hate new cars for pretending to be something special while they're not.
Automobiles became a consumer gadget. I don't want to be the one building the new iphone on wheels.
Everyone profits from automobile consumption except you:
Mechanics are just leeching money off the system and charging much money from the average average Joe who just wants to get to places.
The state taxes average Joe for wanting to get to places.
Petrol is sold like heroin to you.

I still love to drive, but I'm disillusioned about the automotive industry.
Maybe I'm just not the builder guy but a driver guy - but jobs for driver guys are very limited.

I hate this shit and no day passes where I imagine having my own racing team with friends and racing every weekend.
You don't need to be an Automotive engineer to drive, I had to learn the hard way.
>>
>>14219362
>I hate this shit and no day passes where I don't imagine...
fixed
>>
Always great insight on jobs from people who have never done it nor know the first thing about it
>>
>>14220367
Says the mechanic that lives vicariously through customers always posting pictures of their Ferraris.
>>
>>14217234
>mechanics make shit money
lol
diesel mechanics dont
>>
>>14217910
diesel mechanic here,
started out at $57k at the age of 21 with 2 weeks vacation
also i have to thank whoever on /o/ told me that if i want to be a mechanic, become a diesel mechanic
>>
>>14217247
Civil Engineer, here. If I didn't bill so high, I'd be out driving tractors all the time niggaaaaaaaaa
>>
>>14220367
>tells people to not be mechanics in mechanic threads
>wuh wuh im a real man dis life aint easy kid heh

as soon as someone shits on his garbage manual labor job
>you guys havent even done it!

if you have the iq and the means to go to college for engineering and still choose to be a mechanic youre an actual retard.
>>
>>14220378
You caught me, I want to be a 70 year old dentist

>>14220429
There's lots of reasons not to be a mechanic and you are correct, I do not recommend it, but it's not because the money, no competent journeyman tech I know makes less than 60k
>>
>>14220454
60k in california is a barely livable wage.
the only good mechanic job is heavy equipment / commercial aviation.
something like auto mechanic should be a fall back only career.
I'd honestly be a nurse before being a mechanic.
>>
>>14220497
do whatever makes you happy :)
>>
>>14220497
>60k in california is barely a livable wage

I fail to see where he quoted that as a local wage for you, spergy.
>>
>>14217438
Sounds pretty neat m8
>>
People have shilled hard for engineering in recent years. As an engineering student, I can say that if you don't have a passion for math and design, you wouldn't be happy as an engineer. I happen to love it, but many people don't. It happens in most colleges, but the class drop rate has been almost 1/3 for every difficult class I've taken.

As someone that happens to enjoy wrenching AND calculus, I decided to go the engineering route. Engineering in general is cleaner, broader, and more versatile than a trade. Wrenching can stay a hobby.

OP, it depends greatly on what exactly you would be doing as an engineer. I'm studying mechatronics engineering - a mix of mechanical, electrical, and computer engineering. It's a good setup to do prototyping/R&D, which is my end goal. You could do everything from CAD work in a cubicle all day to hands-on prototyping; it depends on what job you want and what job you can get. For example, a modern engine is likely mostly computer designed and analyzed - on the other hand, the borg-warner EFR turbos are designed by a team of engineers that happen to be drag racers. In the latter case, those guys probably go back and forth between CAD design and dyno runs to get the turbo working as they'd like. Those types of jobs are definitely MUCH fewer and farther between, but they exist.
>>
>>14221075
TL;DR don't become an engineer if you aren't cool with doing your work entirely on a computer in a cubicle.
>>
>>14218348
Confirmed for never having worked in the field in any capacity.

Enjoy your McJob. Your dick waving holds no ground on an anonymous Korean cartoon Web gallery.
>>
>>14221421
I genuinely thought he was being satirical
>>
>>14217234
Mechanical engineer is what youre looking for i think
>>
>>14221106
Higher pay jobs, ironically, require less hands on work. Unless you stumble across a small outfit that the lead engineers still get their hands dirty, which is rare.

However there are many hands on engineering jobs, especially in the Electrical and Mechanical fields. You won't be doing frequent/repetitive tasks, and your time will be spent at least 50% at a desk, but there is hands on work to break the monotony.

Personally, even the desk work "feels" hands on, because it's CAD and things you can visualize making and working with. You have to be good at actually putting things together to have any hope at being good at designing things to be put together. Even our shop guys can immediately tell who designed a certain piece just by how easy it goes together; those of us that choose to so some hands on work understand how shit should work in reality and not just on paper.
>>
>>14219362
Where did you study, anon? If you don't mind disclosing that, of course.
I'm in an Automotive Engineering course right now and I'm worried it will kill my love of cars altogether.
>>
>>14220726
Yeah, its not too bad
I split my time roughly 50:50 between the test cell and my desk.
The only tools I use are data analysis tools. I use Excel for 90% of the stuff I do. And about 50% of the excel work is building macros to process the massive amounts of data we collect.

Other than that its reports, email, meetings, and PowerPoint.
>>
File: 1444688930591.png (362KB, 525x565px) Image search: [Google]
1444688930591.png
362KB, 525x565px
>tfw you can't do the mech engineering math courses for your major
>tfw you change your major because if you don't you'll just flunk out
>tfw you don't know what else to do with your life but auto tech services
>tfw you know it'll kill you love for cars
>tfw even your program administrator knows you'll end up hating cars and mentions it while changing your major
>tfw the career that you could have had and made enough money to feed your automotive dreams goes away with the sign of a pen
>tfw you know you'll be unhappy with your job but there's nothing else that interests you
>tfw now whenever you work on your car and bash your knuckles you think "I can't wait to do this for the rest of my life"
>tfw you have to tell everyone who was pushing you to be an engineer and have a great career that you couldn't do it and you're going to be a mechanic

What's the point /o/. Why do I even continue living at this point
>>
File: 1430311078002.jpg (106KB, 889x1140px) Image search: [Google]
1430311078002.jpg
106KB, 889x1140px
>>14221607
>Where did you study, anon? If you don't mind disclosing that, of course.
A place in Western Germany

>I'm in an Automotive Engineering course right now and I'm worried it will kill my love of cars altogether.
You won't lose your affection for cars. They might lose the magic because you grasp the machinery but your affection will remain.

For me, I just realized that I love driving cars more than building cars. Building cars - especially these average consumer cars annoy me as hell (which might be because of my passion for driving)

I'm really conflicted but don't get me wrong - I still enjoy the whole engineering process, I just don't want to be another wageslave for the automotive industry to provide shitty cars or car parts to the masses. My whole rant is actually about the automotive industry which is usually the future working place of any automotive engineer. That's why I wrote to stay away, it's just a wageslaving position that might make you fed up with your job if you're really passionate about cars - generating economic profits with averageness - just good enough for the consumer.
The Volkswagen thing showed me once again how despicable the automotive industry became. They don't aim for the best, so I won't aim for them.

I hope that an escape into motorsports engineering will fix things for me. Engineering without compromise and driving without compromise. It sounds very appealing.

I'm just a driver guy - cars are for driving, not for selling.

Sorry for the misleading first post. Engineering is nice as long as you're not forced to build average crap.
>>
>>14223229
It's not that bad, m8.
Just make money with another career to build a racecar and race it on the weekends.

Engineering isn't magic, you can learn it at home by reading a few books.

You could work as a cook and still be a car guy with engineering skills, who gives a shit? Just choose another profession that's appealing to you.
>>
>>14223257
There were some racing driver wannabies when I was at uni.
They were all winey little bitches too.

Leave the engineering to the engineers kiddo
>>
>>14223652
your opinion = traffic lights racing tier
>>
>>14223229
Have you tried to take the courses and failed already?

There's no such thing as being bad at math. People who say that just have a self-defeating mentality.
If you are disciplined and study for hours, and go to all of the office hours for your course and ask questions, you can pass basically any undergraduate course.
>>
>>14223274
The only thing that's appealing to me is car things. I was hoping to get into the engineering aspects. Design and engineer and work, use money and wrench at home. That way I could balance it out. But now I'm going into the hands on field ( so is my wrenching buddy). So I think I'm just going to get my cert. And uni then go away to a school that has a performance application program. From there I'll see what I can do. I eventually wanna have a shop so that's now the end goal. In the end it's not that bad, it was just horrible to go from "I know my goal" to "you cant do that, rethink everything" and having to do it really fast
>>
>>14224583
Yes, my first semester i basically sank in the engineering materials course. Online lecture plus nightime lab with a different professor, who just got off work, really doesn't make for a good learning environment (especially coming straight from hs). I actually passed my math course but I know if I continued with the degree math would be an issue as the highest math I did in hs was trig. My materials class was the first to go, after that I just stopped caring about the engineering classes as I'd already changed my major.
While I agree if I completely busted my ass everyday for 24 hours a day, I could make it, but it's just not realistic. Especially if for my job I'd be tearing my hair out 24/7.
It's math and molecular shit, like material science and chemistry. Things I can't visualize or see in real life are difficult for me.
>>
>>14224662
materials is the best part of an engineer course.
and u must have had a shit teacher because you can visually see the grains in metal.
>>
>>14223257
You do know we don't let the engineers drive the race car, right?
>>
>>14224600
>>14224662
>go from "I know my goal" to "you cant do that, rethink everything" and having to do it really fast
I think a lot of students are in this position. Deluding yourself into continuing university and dropping out later is even more horrible, I imagine.

It's funny. I've got a buddy who was in the exact same situation like you. He's a car mechanic now and seems pretty happy with it because learning abstract stuff was really tough for him.

>It's math and molecular shit, like material science and chemistry. Things I can't visualize or see in real life are difficult for me.
Dude, not anyone is enough of a maniac to read all the scientific bullshit. Some people are just action personalities. They can't sit on their ass and suck up all the number and formula crap. You made the right choice and opening your own shop should be your top priority now. Consider getting into history car restoration - lot's of money to be made there but also some competition.

>>14224734
I am aware of that and I don't give a shit.
As a motorsports engineer I want to do the best engineering so my teammates, mechanics and drivers rape all the other fag-teams on the track.
It's about high performance, you don't have that in the automotive industry.

Also I'm okay with somebody else being the driver, they probably know their trade better than me. The first time I was sitting in a go-kart was 2 years ago, so yeah.
>>
>>14223257
If you can't appreciate the design process of even an average commuter car, you aren't cut out to be an engineer. Sorry m8.
>>
File: nerd[1].jpg (52KB, 515x385px) Image search: [Google]
nerd[1].jpg
52KB, 515x385px
>>14225556
my nigga. unfortunately retards here think engineers should look like this and spend all day doing what a computer can do in 5 seconds.
>>
>>14220393
here
>>14218151
it may have been me, I've told everyone to get into heavy duty or equipment service since I switched fields, so much nicer.
>>
>>14225577
A computer can't do anything on it's own
>>
File: 1451788854461.jpg (126KB, 606x538px) Image search: [Google]
1451788854461.jpg
126KB, 606x538px
>>14217234

Nice alternator fag
>>
>>14220497
> tfw 36k in bay area
>>
>>14220683
he lives in the bay retard. notice he is a tripfag meaning we can deduce who he is.
>>
>>14217247
Lol. I'm a mechanical engineer and I work on cars all the time. Not fixing, but swapping out parts for testing,and running durability tests. When I was in design group I was in the test lab at least 3 times a week.

Mkae sure you work for a manufacturer and not a supplier of you want to get a lot of time working on cas
>>
>>14225860
Fuck this phones autocorrect.

You get what i mean.
>>
>>14225860
My god a whole 3 times a week with an hour spent with a wrench in your hand. Tell me more about how you're basically a mechanic.
>>
>>14225877
I never said I was a mechanic. I'm saying engineers do physically work on cars and handle tools. At least in the automotive industry. Its along side meeting and writing reports but I rarely sit at a desk for the full day.
>>
>>14224694
He explained very little while at the same time thought he explained it clearly. He'd jump around through his explanations and never get a complete thought out. Then we'd do the lab, which was easy, but after for the lab report it would ask for explanations I couldn't give because I didn't know them. And going to my lecture teacher didn't help because it was 1. Online and 2. Not 100% lined up with the lab section of the class.
>>
>>14225556
I don't want to pollute the earth and waste resources with useless or average machines like those simpleton engineers and profit-greedy manufacturers.

R8 my enlightened engineering, you fucking pleb.
>>
>>14225253
I image the people who tough through it hoping it will get better have it much worse when they've spend 2 years and 60k to realize they don't want to do what they're learning so at least I have that.
But in reality for someone fresh out of high school to have to rethink their future like that so quick into uni is really almost trumatic depending on the situation. I was really bugging out because I though either way id go, stick with engineering or so auto courses, in the end I'd be miserable. But ive got a plan for after community college now so that makes it better.
But looking at it from my perspective at the time everyone i was was friends with was going away to school and had big plans and a bright future. I felt like a loser and the fact that engineers make good money made me think I wasn't doing too bad. But when I had to default to automotive I felt like an idiot going to cc for auto...no bright future. As months went on, some friends came baxk from college, some friends dropped out of my actually good cc, for a closer commute to a shitty cc. Some friends lost the fa and didn't end up going. Some friends and colleges I dreamed of going to couldn't keep up with the work and flunked their first semester or already changed to an easier major. I realized the world isn't so bad and I can make whatever I want out of going for auto. I can already wrench better than anyone I know. Classes should be easy for me. I didn't waste much money on my first semester. And I realized if I learn valuable skills in the auto trade I can open any type of business I want and if I do well enough I won't even have to do the actual wrenching
>>
>>14226172
whoa buddy! slow down there.
that post is unreadable.
>>
>>14226271
Sorry, larger posts are harder on a phone.
Thread posts: 89
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.