[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>2016 >still using the clutch for anything higher than

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

File: hqdefault.jpg (15KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
15KB, 480x360px
>2016
>still using the clutch for anything higher than 1st gear
>not floating gears 2-6 (clutchless shifting) smoothly without grinding

How many of you faggots actually KNOW how to drive manual?
>>
Why would I put unnecessary wear on my gears so I can impress some anonymous fuckheads on the internet who would probably think I'm lying anyway
>>
>>14216229
>imblying you can do that
post proof
>>
Used to do this but i felt bad for the synchros so i stopped, still do it rarely when i feel to lazy too lift my foot from a comfy spot
>>
>>14216238
There won't be any unnecessary wear though if you slide the gear into place smoothly.

It's a natural progression in terms of shifting when you've gotten regular shifting down and know your car really well.

There's no reason not to learn how to do it.
>>
>>14216257
>There won't be any unnecessary wear though
Except for the synchros.
>>
i know how on upshifts only and I've done it a few times in the memezda but it's much slower

if I wanted to not use the clutch, I'd just get a DCT
>>
>>14216267
You keep ignoring the part where I mention being smooth. There's a reason almost all semi-truck drivers float all the time. And they have 20 fucking gears. So if their synchros are fine, so will yours
>>
>>14216289
>You keep ignoring the part where I mention being smooth.
Even being smooth, the synchros will do their job of matching the shaft speeds - and forcing it into gear, without the clutch will wear them out.

>There's a reason almost all semi-truck drivers float all the time.
Not where I'm from, because we've got synchros on semi's here. I can understand floating gears if you don't have synchros anyways, (otherwise you'd have to double clutch which is even worse), which is what a lot of US truckers I know of still use - synchroless boxes.
>>
>>14216229
>clutchless shifting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLw0hAtOik4
Holy fuck your all stupid
>>
>>14216304
>you're
Ftfy
>>
>>14216289
>>14216303
Also: now go show me a study or something theat proves that floating gears does not wear out anything.

I've done it before by the way. Couple of times on my motorcycles when clutch cables broke (and they eventually do), which is easy as balls, and on a few trucks that either had no synchros from the factory, or the synchros where completely worn out. Sure it works, but using the clutch is easier. I'd rather replace a clutch, than replacing synchros.
>>
File: nfByEGO.jpg (831KB, 3226x1814px) Image search: [Google]
nfByEGO.jpg
831KB, 3226x1814px
>>14216229
>actually KNOW how to drive manual?
Using the clutch is the intended method of operation though. Is your left leg broken?

Enjoy wearing out your synchros, dumb fuck.
>>
Cool party trick, OP. I'll bet everyone else on the freeway is impressed as fuck.
>>
>>14216229
NONE OF US OP YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE WHO KNOWS HOW TO DRIVE A MANUAL YOU ARE A GOD

gb2 SesameSt.org
>>
>>14216303
Do you have any sources that show how much more substantial the wear is compared to shifting normally?
>>
>>14216441
No, therefore nobody can prove who's right.
>>
>>14216441
You can figure it out with deductive reasoning.
If it takes skill and nowing your car to do it that means you can get it wrong sometimes.
Versus using the clutch where there is no skill required and thus you perform the same action right every time.

Even if he get's it right 99 times out of a hundred, he's still putting wear on his transmission that he wouldn't otherwise.
>>
>>14216465

Nonsense. The wear is limited to the face of the syncro cones and teeth. If you grind 'em till you find 'em then yes, gear damage is coming your way.

Most people using a manual can't shift worth a shit and let the clutch take up the difference in speed between the motor and transmission. You sound like one of those people if you believe that randomly stabbing at the clutch pedal without thought achieves a consistently good shift.
>>
>>14216518
Samefag here but as an afterthought I think its worth learning for when you have a clutch failure. When my slave cylinder died on a trip it wasn't too bad to limp it around before finding a spare in stock. Taking off from a stop with the starter motor is a bit hmmmm though. Didn't break anything but sure could have.
>>
>>14216518
>>14216534
I think you know way more about transmissions than I do.
How do you think a modern automatic compares in regard to longevity?
>>
>defending an unnecessary bullshit move this hard

You are one cool dude, bro.
>>
Interesting how you all jerk about this endless gearbox bullshit that you all ignore this obvious bait.
Faggots
>>
>>14216229
Someones been reading too much overrev
Go to bed kid.
>>
File: 1435304027365.jpg (24KB, 720x316px) Image search: [Google]
1435304027365.jpg
24KB, 720x316px
>muh unnecessary wear on synchros

I rather replace a clutch than cracking open the turtle shell to replace synchros.all you're doing is shocking the system whether your feel it or not, why do you think those springs exist in the clutch? For your amusement?no its a shock dampener.

Race car drivers still use the clutch, guess what you're not a better driver than wtcc or btcc, gt2 or gt3 drivers. You're just autistic.
>>
>>14216867
This

Congrats OP nobody cares
>>
Man, this thread makes me feel good about driving an autotragic.
>>
>>14216289
You're a fucking idiot. Semi trucks dont have synchros period.
>>
File: image.jpg (109KB, 326x908px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
109KB, 326x908px
>be Amerifat trucker
>float gears all day errday
>hop in friend's 240sx
>do the same thing until he notices my left leg isn't moving and freaks out
>>
>>14216229
I power shift when i used to drag race and that's about all it's good for.
>>
>>14216289
bit easier to do when you engine rpm barely changes
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.