[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is the 4g Eclipse really this dangerous?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 12

File: user48097_pic70857_1451917950.jpg (66KB, 800x530px) Image search: [Google]
user48097_pic70857_1451917950.jpg
66KB, 800x530px
Browsing /o/ I've seen a trip named gunstar posting his 4g eclipse. Liking how his looks I started reading reviews and was thinking about getting one.

Then I came across this review: http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2005/06/mitsubishi-eclipse-gt/

>It's been a while since I've driven a death car.
> If Mitsubishi could tame the Eclipse's torque steer, the car's fresh design, cracking engine, silken six speed gearbox, robust chassis, superb brakes and entirely reasonable sticker price would make it one of the best sports coupes of our time. As it is, the Eclipse scares me to death.

If I buy this car is it going to kill me? I don't have much experience driving and the entire review makes the car sound super dangerous.
>>
It's a slow and boring woman's car. I didn't read the article because I don't care, but it's probably a joke.
>>
>>14215850
>It's a slow and boring woman's car. I didn't read the article because I don't care, but it's probably a joke.
It doesn't sound slow
>Equipped with 'Mitsubishi Innovative Variable timing and lift Electronic Control' (MIVEC), the Eclipse's 3.8-liter V6 powerplant pours on the power from the basement to the penthouse. At the same time, the GT's coffee-can exhaust emits a mid-range zizz that hardens into a determined wail as you enter MIVEC-ian hyperspace. The Eclipse GT's six has so much sonic character that you blip the throttle for the Hell of it, lower the windows before entering tunnels and hold onto gear changes just because you can.
>You see my problem? The Eclipse's engine constantly begs for a bloody good thrashing. It gets worse. Floor the free-revving GT in second gear, or third. Once again, the steering wheel torques back. At that point, you're going at least 50mph– which is more than fast enough to make the sudden loss of directional stability a life-threatening experience.
>>
>>14215866
sounds fun

only has 210hp but weighs 1.1tonne so pretty zippy or awd bit heavier.

shame latest gens where like fucking 1.7tonnes and thats heavier than my 2001 folden v8 sedan
>>
>>14215935
That's the 3G.

4G is 270hp
>>
>>14215955
But it weighs 1.6tonnes bro

Thats pretty meh power to weight
>>
>>14215955
oh it has those engines they had in the Aussie 380/magna

Fuck those HAUL they are proper quick
>>
>>14215840
One could make the argument for the gs really...200lbs lighter, 60/40 weight balance (gt is 62/38), better mpg, 170hp w/mivec from glorious 4g69 so no torque steer, etc...just a better handling lighter car with the potential to turbo if you want.

Not to mention the gs is just as well equipped as the gt. You still get the 9 speakers, the heated seats, all that. Just in a much lighter better balanced car. And the 4g69 is a sirus engine just as the 4g64, only difference is it isn't turbo from factory and has mivec. The block is capable of 800lbs of boost thanks to being good old iron. Fuck mitsubishis v6 high compression engine, can't boost it, makes the car 200lbs more, makes the car more front heavy, gets shit mpgs.

Plus what does that get you? 0-60 in 6? The gs is 0-60 in 7, not enough of an advantage to justify all the negatives that come with the gt.
>>
>>14217296
*4g63
>>
>>14215840
It will only kill your pride when you drive by people and they laugh at you for driving one of the ugliest cars to ever make it out of the clay design stage.
>>
>>14217331
You mean best right?

Like the review said its a mix of the 350z and Audi. If there's one thing about the 4g you can't argue is that it's sexy as fuck.
>>
>>14217345
It's alright. It's one of those cars that everybody with a real car is going to make fun of you for owning. Every time I see a GT, it has a big gay fart cannon and a faggot in the driver's seat, throwing it around at wot.
>>
File: image.jpg (277KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
277KB, 1024x683px
>>14217362
I bet a gt shits all over whatever you drive and looks better doing it.
>>
File: image.png (452KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
452KB, 640x1136px
>>14217345
I kind of want pic related but $15,000 for a 2012 seems a bit much.
>>
>>14215840
Torque steer is only scary if ur a bitch
I drive a saab that has 325hp and almost 400ft-lbs of torque to the front wheels and Im not dead yet
>>
>>14215840
4g eclipse's are so fucking AIDS I don't understand the appeal at all.
>>
>>14217578
Ya the reviewer sounds like a pussy.
>>
its a big heavy fagmobile

if youre scared of it you should just not drive
>>
>>14215840
>torque steer
>dangerous

Grip the wheel harder or let off the gas in a straight line. In corners FWD is fucking simple, you stab the gas, the nose pushes, let off and it tucks back in.
>>
File: image.jpg (144KB, 560x245px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
144KB, 560x245px
>>14217697
They are small dude you've never seen one up close. I'd get one if I was a manlet but even 5'11 my head was touching the roof. Test drove a 2007 they have tons of power and feel agile.
>>
File: image.jpg (264KB, 600x434px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
264KB, 600x434px
>>
>>14217411
Mazdaspeed6. Appearance is objective. 1/4 mile is not. Don't get a boner, faggot.
>>
>>14215866
>Innovative Variable timing and lift Electronic Control
>innovative

Yeah innovative in the early 90s
>>
>>14217729
>small

no

what you described is a car with a shitty interior

its a pigfat shitbox

if you think its agile or powerful you just havent driven anything that is
>>
>>14217799
stop stroking your own ego there FWD enabling faggot

you have a turbo 4 door fwd mazda

dont act like its anything better than the eclipse

the absolute joke of an AWD system in your car literally will only send 25% of the power to the rear wheels

and ONLY when your front wheels are slipping

>buying the absolute worst mazda in existence
theres a reason they were only sold for 6 years
>>
>>14217799
You're proud of a Mazda 6 sedan? Lol cool man that's so sick! Bet it fits baby seats great :^)
>>
>>14217816
Unlike VTEC and VVTi-L it uses 3 cam profiles instead of 2, The MiVEC V6 feels strong across the whole rev range.
>>
>>14217902
Mivec sounds godly too and you hit it so low, 4k rpm.
>>
>>14217886
Alright... Shitposting to the max. It sends 50% to the rear, and the only time that it's full time front drive is under 5 mph and under low throttle, or at highway speeds. You're full of shit.
>>
>>14217889
Literally not even bragging about the car. I'm responding to an accusation. It's a nice car, it gets around, it's quick, gets decent mileage, maintenance is cheap, parts are plentiful and cheap.
>>
>>14217604
SEX CYLINDERS
>>
>shitsubishi
>>
>>14218531
Nice meme.

Do you even own a car?
>>
>>14218482
Nice car compared to the 4g?

Kek get out of here you fucking cuck. We're talking about a hatch back sports coupe not a family sedan for taking the kids to the mall.
>>
File: 1435190408053.png (412KB, 431x700px) Image search: [Google]
1435190408053.png
412KB, 431x700px
>>14215840
Literally a woman's car. Last great eclipses were AWD and turbo. Weighs as much as the moon and on a rung lower than a V6 mustang.
>>
>>14218578
>hatch back sports coupe
>less than 50 lbs lighter than the sedan for taking the family to the mall
Stay mad lol
>>
File: image.jpg (61KB, 575x431px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
61KB, 575x431px
>>14219499
You and the fuckwit above poster yet the poster count remained @ 14 hmmm gee I wonder if you're samefagging hurr durr.

Don't get pissy that your 4 door sedan is viewed as a pleb mall crawler. That resale on your shitbox is going to shit itself and you'll be lucky to get $6k for the pos after a few years.

Again we are talking about a sexy hatch back coupe in this thread. Cars that look sick as fuck. Not your pos so stay mad all you want, your car will never be cool because it's a normie car. Mitsubishi cars like the 3000gt, eclipse, starion are a niche market, and will never be accepted by casuals like you but that's ok we don't want you losers in the club anyways.

tl;dr no one cares about your casual sedan in this thread
>>
My buddy had a 4G GT. With simple bolt-ons, more aggressive intake and exhaust cams and a quick tune he was able to dyno 276 to the wheels, saw it with my own eyes. With his exhaust the car honestly sounded sexier than a 350Z and it was fast enough in a straight line to put a smile on your face. That being said, its not the cornering car since it's fairly heavy, has a sub-optimal weight balance and is FWD. Being that it's a V6 gives it more torque and Americans like that kinda thing. Since he sold this car he's gotten himself a GT35R-equipped 2G AWD Eclipse as a project that puts out more HP than he'll ever need and his 2011 Evo GSR handles all his cornering needs. If you want straight-line speed, buy the 4G and have fun. If you want a driving experience, save some dough and get a 2011+ Evo since they fixed a lot of expensive issues. Modifying isn't always the answer BTW, I'd much rather hone in my driving skill before beefing up the tools that I drive with.

>pic related
>>
>>14219556
its a fwd shitbox made by a company that can't develop a new chassis even if they wanted to cuz poor.

Get over yourself senpai
>>
File: Screenshot (25).png (605KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (25).png
605KB, 1920x1080px
>>14217465
>auto

even then that's fucking ridiculous price
pic related lad, don't do it, just look a bit harder.
>>
>>14219580
What about was the cost? I've wanted an Eclipse since around 2010 but never seemed to find an aftermarket for them.
Also how much did he pay for an AWD 2g eclipse? AWD would be helpful where I am (not a lot of paved roads unless I'm going into town)
>>
>>14215840
>http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2005/06/mitsubishi-eclipse-gt/

>"In short, the Mitsubishi Eclipse GT is the kind of car Prince Charles would have bought his ex-wife if she'd survived her Parisian jaunt that fateful August morning."

fucking savage
>>
File: IMG_20130818_150957.jpg (341KB, 1327x995px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20130818_150957.jpg
341KB, 1327x995px
>>14219749
Well modifying will never be cheap, and you'll never get your money back.

I think in total his 4G mods list hit about $3,000.

For his 2G he got a steal on it for like $3500 considering it had a forged 2.3l stroker setup and a Garret turbo. It came with ECMlink too which was real nice to work with. I think before he left he installed a water injection kit and converted his entire setup to speed density and had his VE tables reworked by some wizards at the local shop.

But that car is really just a pocket rocket. It'll never be reliable like his Evo is (which he also got for a ridiculous price) and the 4G was FAR more reliable than the 2G will ever be.

If there's one thing I've learned from modding its that reliability will never ever ever ever match the factory's. These aftermarket parts from the "trusted" companies with the big price tags just can't match the QC of the major manufacturing corporations that pool fucking millions into their products.

The 2000 Miata I bought after owning my 2G AWD Talon was far slower, but far more fun to drive and fix. I would take a fun, lightweight car like the Mazda any day over the break-neck straight-line speed of the Talon.

>pic related
>>
>>14219556
I'm on mobile, it's easier to respond separately. I'm literally not even mad that my car is viewed as a family sedan. It's fast and it's AWD. Whether or not you like it, stock for stock, the MS6 is faster. As I said earlier, appearance is objective. Who the fuck are you trying to impress, anyways? I'm happy with my car and that's what matters. I'm not out to impress faggot boyracers.
>>
>>14217296

A full second is HUGE in 0-60 times tho
>>
>>14218578
>hatch back sports coupe
>FWD

Fucking LOL. Fucking faggots ITT defending a literal hairdresser's car
>>
>>14219580

>Being that it's a V6 gives it more torque and Americans like that kinda thing

Not to the front wheels, they don't
>>
File: ecotech logo.jpg (15KB, 480x179px) Image search: [Google]
ecotech logo.jpg
15KB, 480x179px
>>14220858
Hell yes they do.

Look at every family sedan and "sports" coupe these days. One of the only companies that even uses strait 6s anymore is BMW or Mercedes.

Altima, Camry, Mazda6, Maxima, Accord, Sonata, Elantra, Optima, Etc. all use V6 engines in their higher trims. It's literally because the American market prefers and responds to instant power that requires little effort.

Nobody but enthusiasts want high-revving HP. I love a good M3 with a high-revving I6, but thats not gonna sell for the average Joe.

Why do you think everything is boosted nowadays? Instant torque due to super small, fast-spooling turbos that give that great, low-end power but when cruising saves gas.

>pic related
>>
>>14220916
>Altima, Camry, Mazda6, Maxima, Accord, Sonata, Elantra, Optima, Etc. all use V6 engines in their higher trims.

Because they're transverse engine.
>>
File: 1450204706157.jpg (22KB, 294x256px) Image search: [Google]
1450204706157.jpg
22KB, 294x256px
>>14221156
Idk man, that does make perfect sense, but I still think the most prominent factor is the market demand, and for the last couple of decades, torque has been more valued than HP to the average consumer. I honestly think the horizontal mounting arrangement is purely convenient and coincidental.

The fact that turbos can now replace large engine displacements and provide the same characteristics says it all. It's no surprise or secret that the American market prefers low-end power. And the 4G eclipse is no different.

pic unrelated
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.