[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Jaguar massively underrated? My extended family has always

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 9

File: jaguar XJ.jpg (867KB, 1800x1082px) Image search: [Google]
jaguar XJ.jpg
867KB, 1800x1082px
Is Jaguar massively underrated?

My extended family has always owned Jags and I always heard horror stories about how unreliable they are but after owning a few BMW and Audi products they don't really seem any worse than what the Germans offer (Mercedes being the exception as they seem pretty solid). All they've ever really given us nightmares with were electronics, but I can say the same for BMW.

I was long dead set on getting a 2-3 year old E550 or 550i for a long time, but I'm really considering just jumping for a lightly used Jaguar XJ V8. I know the N63 in the BMW is problematic, but am I crazy for getting this over the E550?
>>
>>14202415
Are you a grill
>>
File: DSC_2223.jpg (3MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_2223.jpg
3MB, 3840x2160px
At least try to prove it
>>
>>14202480
You sound like a little bitch
>>
>>14202415
If you have the money to do it, why not? The drivetrain might not be as reliable as a Merc, but if you are looking at a 2013 or something, it can't be too bad.

Only thing I really heard about new Jags is that they are quite a bit more expensive than a similar Merc or BMW. Find the specific Jag you want, and go on Jaguar-specific forums to see if there are any common problems that can be expensive. 4chan is a bunch of useless bench racers like myself. Then learn how to prevent them of fix them yourseld
>>
File: 30a.jpg (61KB, 475x356px) Image search: [Google]
30a.jpg
61KB, 475x356px
>>14202498
>>
File: 1445361695140.png (230KB, 348x436px) Image search: [Google]
1445361695140.png
230KB, 348x436px
>>14202480
Try to prove what? That I want a Jaguar?
>>
>>14202480

Holy fuck that is one ugly ass dashboard.
>>
>>14202415
Yes,but it's nice that they're underrated,they don't become niggermobiles.

Practically speaking,they are more reliable than BMW,they're on the same level with Mercedes,only old leyland jags suffer
>>
the maintenance issues are a wive's tale/meme
>>
>>14202415
When tesla blatantly copies your design, you're doing something right. When every car you make is available with a supercharged v8, you're doing something right. Jaguar is based as fuck and anyone who says otherwise is living in the past or suffering from sour grape syndrome.
>>
>>14202652
Chrysler hates its customers.
>>
File: jaguar xj interior.jpg (2MB, 1800x1350px) Image search: [Google]
jaguar xj interior.jpg
2MB, 1800x1350px
>>14202415
the newer XJs are really fucking cool, there's a supercharged version too with a boatload of power

look at that interior UNNNNNNFFFFF

my only concern about owning one is that they're just flat out not as common, so mechanics that know how to work on them are rarer, and there's much less of a DIY knowledge base compared to bmw or mercedes, so finding guides for stuff will be difficult but i guess a Bentley manual would be good enough
>>
>>14206250
Bentley and jag don't share engines.
>>
>>14206323
>Bentley manual
>thinks this has anything to do with Bentley cars
kek

inb4 it was a joke guise really
>>
>>14206250
every time i post that image i start shopping for an xj supercharged and have to stop myself, even if that + a bumper to bumper extended warranty for 4 years would make the thing only like 40k monies

fuck me
>>
>>14206250
I live in Southern California so even rarer luxury cars are still fairly common here. I see at least one or two XJs every time I go out in my area. I've worked on my grandparent's 03 X-Type and 07 XJ which I believe shares the same V8 with the current model so I think I could do at least basic work on one. The interior is what does it for me. It looks totally different than anything the Germans or Japanese put out.

What I'd be really worried about is something like the rotary transmission shifter or digital gauge cluster breaking. Both are highly unique parts which are apparently very difficult to replace if they go out.

>>14206188
This is a big pull too. I'm looking at a LWB model with the N/A 5.0 V8. They only make 380hp stock without the supercharger but are underrated for longevity and can be easily chipped up to 415hp. I'm thinking about a Supercharged version, but they all seem to be pretty high mileage unless I want to start pushing past the $40k mark, at which point I'd just consider a new XF.

>>14206462
The naturally aspirated V8 models can be had for much cheaper and still make fuck loads of power. see above^ The XJ is lighter than most of the Euro and Asian competitors so does a lot more with only 380hp. An Inifniti M56 is a good alternative if you want a cheaper (though uglier and less special) alternative for cheaper. They make about 420hp stock.
>>
>>14206435
True. Had a brainfart there. I go for Haynes personally
>>
>>14206548
hmm, interesting. couldn't you tune the supercharged one for way more power though as well?
>>
>>14206830
I assume you risk blowing it unless you drop the compression to compensate. You're better off putting a bigger supercharger with a thicker head gasket on the n/a engine if yoy want to make crazy power. The jaguar R engines already make enough power to roast the tires from the factory.
>>
>>14202480
What is the purpose of this post?
>>
According to forums, it's a mishmash of wives' tales, Prince of Dank maymays, and some reality. I won't say hurr get it hur memememe, but if I was making $80,000 a year a 2-3 year old certified Jaguar would be in my name.

Plus the interiors piss on everyone else. Hopefully their downmarket transition doesn't hurt the quality (Or is that what Maserati is doing? Correct me anons)
>>
File: jaguar xe 2016.jpg (59KB, 970x727px) Image search: [Google]
jaguar xe 2016.jpg
59KB, 970x727px
>>14207812
the XE interior looks perfectly nice
>>
>>14207812
I wouldn't call it a downmarket transition but a design philosophy overhaul. The quality and performance have only been gwtting better and they're not exactly cheap.
>>
File: 1429862501065.jpg (38KB, 534x664px) Image search: [Google]
1429862501065.jpg
38KB, 534x664px
>>14202532
>4chan is a bunch of useless bench racers like myself

Can confirm
>>
File: 20151124_164338.jpg (688KB, 1400x1050px) Image search: [Google]
20151124_164338.jpg
688KB, 1400x1050px
>>14207812
In my opinion the new Maseratis with the autos make a lot more sense for what they are actually used for than the DCT era cars. The DCTs were OK (at least in the GranTurismo and QP, kind of wonk shifting in the 138), but dry clutch DCTs last for 5k to maybe 30k miles at best if you do nothing but highway driving, that's just the way they are, not necessarily poor quality but just not a good fit for a car that gets driven a lot, especially in a city environment. The loss in the new models is with the chassis, the previous gen QP and GranTurismo have an awesome tube subframe Ferrari type chassis with the engine pushed way behind the front axle, the Ghibli from what I understand (I don't work on them very much and haven't really picked the underpinnings apart) is using a lot of cheaper Chrysler parts.
>>
I had a 2002 XJ8 for about 50k miles

It was a great car

Never let me down

Oil changes were easy

Extremely comfortable

Sold it for more than I paid for it
>>
>>14208010
Would you recommend the xkr?
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.