[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why hasn't any manufacturer made a carbon fiber engine block?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4

Why hasn't any manufacturer made a carbon fiber engine block?
>>
>hit redline once

>engine explodes into shards of carbon fiber
>>
Wouldn't work. There was an article floating around a few years ago claiming Ferrari was working on one but it ended up being an April's Fools joke.
>>
first i want to know what makes you think it's a good idea
>>
http://blog.caranddriver.com/is-this-the-engine-of-the-future-in-depth-with-matti-holtzberg-and-his-composite-engine-block/
>>
>>14200332
There's no reason it wouldn't work so long as it used sleeves (like many aluminum blocks do anyways). Whether it would be be good or cost effective is another story.
>>
Same reason they don't make one out of milk bottles.
>>
>>14200377
not enough milk bottles?
>>
>>14200368
Would it be able to handle the heat and pressure it would be under simultaneousy without getting weak?
>>
It will happen using carbon nanotubes. They turn out to be much better that carbon fibers. Also, like the other guy said, some surfaces will have to have steel surfaces inserted for cylinder liners, bearing journals, etc.
>>
You do understand that carbon fiber resin is essentially a thermoplastic that has relatively low operating temperatures, right?

I'm a mechanical engineering who works developing carbon fiber composite parts.
>>
>>14200380

never enough milk bottles.
>>
lets 3d print it too, just to be extra cool.

Srs question, how oil resistant is charbon flubber?
>>
>>14200390
Didn't cost me 50k to figure that out, pal.
>>
>>14200398
as said it's the resin that matters. no doubt they could make one that works but why bother?
the resources needed to actually manufacture the blocks would be huge.
composite blocks have been around for years, only the metal ones actually made production
Honda FRM and Toyota MMC that I can think of, and F1 pistons too.
>>
>>14200344
Lightweight
>>
>>14200398
I'm shocked at how quickly 3D printing became a meme. Thank God printers are still expensive, so that every 15 year old can't spam their Twitter with garbage they downloaded off of Makerbot.com and printed, while acting like they're Adam Savage, Mark Zuckerburg, and Elon Musck rolled into one person.
>>
>>14200805
doesn't matter.
reducing vehicle weight by <10% can be done in much less complicated ways
>>
>>14200856
3d printer cafe

feel free to take this idea and become super rich
>>
>>14200360
>http://blog.caranddriver.com/is-this-the-engine-of-the-future-in-depth-with-matti-holtzberg-and-his-composite-engine-block/

>$2500 (or more) per pound of weight saved.

What a deal!
>>
>>14200856
You seem rather upset.
>>
>>14200381
Obviously not, don't even pay attention to heartbreak this is grade A autism just like this thread is.
>>
>>14200886
Reducing the weight by 10% matters very much when you've exhausted all other weight saving measures on your ultra light weight supercar
>>
>>14201551
make the thread again when you've done that
>>
>>14200390
>making your structural component with thermoplastic resin instead of thermoset resin

Get a load of this know-nothing.
>>
>>14200886
like what?
>>
>>14200319
VHT carbon fibber thermos set resin:

"Very high performance epoxy laminating and casting resin designed for use in high temperature environments up to 180°C (356°F). This resins HDT (Heat Distortion Temperature) of 180°C means that up to this temperature the epoxy will not shrink, crack or distort..

As well as its high HDT this epoxy system also has good clarity, a low viscosity and exceptional wetting characteristics when used with carbon fibre or aramid fibre (i.e. Kevlar). When cured the resin has excellent mechanical properties. "

Taken from the spec sheet of our supplier.
>>
>>14203105
Not selling it to americans
>>
>>14203124
180°C may be considered high temperature when it comes epoxy but it's fuck all to an engine
>>
>>14203132
Rather the point.
>>
You could use the same metal matrix composites that Rolls Royce use in the new engine "Blings" (blade rings) but you would need to licence the technology from the and that's not likely to happen.
>>
>>14203137
apologies
>>
>>14203150
Not a problem.
>>
>>14203152
oh you are making it worse by being so nice ;_;
>>
Why? It would be heavier than aluminum by the time all was said and done. Proportionally, engine blocks are basically the minimum size to accommodate all the necessary systems like cooling, oil, and then all the actual mechanical parts of the engine. Making it out of carbon fiber would result in the same volume but heavier since carbon fiber is on average heavier than aluminum.

This is not even bringing up the ACTUAL issue of carbon fiber not being hyperutectic. It's way too unstable to be a good block.
>>
File: 1450818578515.png (20KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1450818578515.png
20KB, 200x200px
>>14200390
You're a mechanical engineer that sticks its own face up his but.
>>
probably because carbon fiber isn't good at replacing cast metal parts

iirc some company worked on a plastic engine block in the 80s, but they scrapped the idea
>>
File: Polimotor.jpg (181KB, 400x429px) Image search: [Google]
Polimotor.jpg
181KB, 400x429px
>>14200319
plastic engines were the wave of the future in the 80's
>>
>>14203197
Some of those plastic engines actually got to race.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRd4Jy4Q4_4
>>
>>14200886
OK professor, reduce a corvettes,or 911, weight by ~10% then reduce it by another 10% ,make it cheap, stop fucking children,then reduce it by another 10%.
Just because weight has been reduced doesn't mean it can happen over and over again,stupid.
>>
>>14200856
why is it a meme again?

most engine related automotive stuff is limited by the plastics right now, but there are plenty of other non engine components you can make from ABS.

Quit watching Barnacles Nerdgasm and similiar autistic people. Literally all they do all day is print dildo's and other useless shit they found on thingiverse.

The reason nobody does anything interesting with it is because for the most part, nobody has the ability to create models easily. I am in college so I have access to Solidworks but not everybody has that.

Printers aren't expensive either by the way. I built a Prusa i3 for around $350.
>>
>>14200403
oh my god the salt on here is ridiculous
>>
>>14203330
there's a reason it's not happening and cars are getting bigger and heavier
i'll let guess what that is
>>
>>14203363
he's not the only one itt
>>
Because carbon fiber is shit at handling high temps.

Wait for graphene manufacturing to step its game up.

Carbon fiber is great because it's as light as plastic and it's 10x stronger than steel, but it's only good for structural construction.
>>
File: 1449037368480.png (906KB, 674x632px) Image search: [Google]
1449037368480.png
906KB, 674x632px
>>14200390
>carbon composites have low operating temperatures
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.