[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Big wheels, small cars

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 7

File: last of a dying breed.jpg (465KB, 1600x1067px) Image search: [Google]
last of a dying breed.jpg
465KB, 1600x1067px
o I don't get it. What is the purpose of the trend towards larger wheels on small lightweight cars made for acceleration and not top end speed (like the ND)?

Pros for bigger wheels on samll lightweight cars:
>looks (opinion)
>better tire selection (being shilled by more popular heavy ass can't turns)
>cheaper to produce than smaller WIDER wheels with similar tire widths /205-225/ and aspect ratio /45/ (fine)
>big brake kits (really?? Just buy better pads and maybe pistons/rotors)
>better top end (don't need it)
>quicker to stop because wheels are heavier (making the car heavier? Again better pads or pistons)

Cons:
>WAY slower acceleration
>WAY slower to steering inputs, especially countersteer
>WAY less grip at lower speeds/transitions (treads are optimized for higher speeds on larger wheels)
>Heavier, more unsprung weight
>More rotational mass (means need more power to rotate even if lighter)
>Cost more of everything $$

Why o why o
>>
>tfw want an ND on 15s, hot damn
>>
>quicker to stop because wheels are heavier (making the car heavier? Again better pads or pistons)
No, that's backwards. Heavier wheels = much slower to stop. It's one of the biggest things that affects your stopping distance actually.
>>
File: 1438900789626.png (6KB, 369x369px) Image search: [Google]
1438900789626.png
6KB, 369x369px
>>14198543
>the trend
what
are you talking about stanced show cars?

are you talking about normies that just buy any wheels they like?

did you literally just start a thread to sperg over others personal preferences?

how could you care

sort you are life out OP
>>
>>14198568
>how could you care
OP is autistic thats how
>>
File: proof.jpg (66KB, 678x478px) Image search: [Google]
proof.jpg
66KB, 678x478px
>>14198555
It was already shown that heavier wheels decrease braking distance
>>14198568
The trend of manufacturers moving all performance/sports cars to larger wheels (on small/light cars unnecessarily)
>>
>>14198580
I want my car to perform that best at what it's designed for

being quick, not fast
>>
>>14198583
Huh, I never would have thought it.
>>
>>14198589
It might just be the aspect ratio with less tire deformation

I could be wrong
>>
>implying anyone on o could afford anything but cheap used all seasons from pedro's chop shop on the corner

laughingwhoresincars.png
>>
>>14198583
was also meant for>>14198568
>>
>>14198583
>>14198672
no one wants to argue about stupid fucking wheel sizes

go away
>>
>>14198543
man those 15s look like shit.

pic related is how I'd like my ND

also like half your reasons for why bigger wheels are bad are flat out incorrect
>>
>>14198706
casual
>>14198718
They look better when lowered
>>
>>14198718
>half your reasons for why bigger wheels are bad are flat out incorrect

Which ones btw?
>>
>>14198543
I like how you argue against all the pros but not the cons lol.
Anyway the reason is cosmetic.
Modern cars need to be designed around big wheels to disguise the bulkiness caused by crumple zones.
Personally I think the ND looks better on smaller wheels. The factory 17s are too big.
>>
>>14198758
why you have to enable the autists
>>
>>14198583
>what is contact patch
>>
File: 1397395829855.gif (3MB, 320x291px) Image search: [Google]
1397395829855.gif
3MB, 320x291px
>>14198767
if it makes you feel better, on reflection i deeply regret making that post
>>
reasons to use larger wheels

- better tires (can be hard to find certain sizes for 15" or smaller wheels nowadays)
- bigger brake rotors
- because it looks cool
>>
>>14198741
>WAY slower acceleration
it's not WAY slower, especially if you stick to the stock overall diameter. I'm not convinced that there is a difference.

>WAY slower to steering inputs, especially countersteer
just no. wheel diameter is not going to make your steering inputs slow and numb. with shorter, stiffer sidewalls you'll have more steering feel, not less

>WAY less grip at lower speeds/transitions (treads are optimized for higher speeds on larger wheels)
WAY less grip? really? where is your proof for these claims anyway?

>Heavier, more unsprung weight
this one I'll give you. even so, the increase in weight isn't that much, as shown here >>14198583

>More rotational mass (means need more power to rotate even if lighter)
this is negligible as long as you don't go overboard. tires have mass too you know.

>Cost more of everything $$
I guess. cars aren't cheap no matter what.

in my opinion, oem wheel size is good. OEM +1 is about the maximum diameter you should go. but downsizing your wheels is just weird. you restrict your tire choices, restrict future brake upgrades (big brake kits are always going to be better at dissipating heat that just pads and rotors) and look bad. you also add sidewall flex and reduce braking ability as shown here >>14198583
>>
>>14198829
smaller wheels can make a full rotation in less time than a larger wheel, common knowledge acceleration is better

The larger the wheel the smaller the turning radius. As such your rack and pinion are configured to be slower since there is less of a radius for turning.

If you notice, tires have a full tread design that gets repeated from section to section on the tire. Optimal section to road coverage is reached faster on smaller wheels because the rotation is smaller.

more rotational mass means it takes more power from the engine to turn the wheel regardless of weight
>>
>>14198829
> in my opinion, oem wheel size is good. OEM +1 is about the maximum diameter you should go.

depends on the car
stock SW20s come with 14 or 15 inch wheels
>>
>>14198543
You know engineers spend years designing a car. Specifically the wheels that will go on it.
They take into account shit you never even know existed, such as scrub radius, axis alignment, wheel squirm, etc.

All these plebs that change out their wheels, or install spacers and completely fuck with their tire center causing their shit to toe out under braking.
>>
>>14198786
>what is contact patch
Of constant area with constant pressure.
>>
>>14199008
This implies everything that comes out of factory is perfect.
>>
>>14199008
>All these plebs that change out their wheels, or install spacers and completely fuck with their tire center causing their shit to toe out under braking.

This

It still amazes everytime I go on any forum, and the first thing people want to do is stick 245's on their shitbox, and everytime you ask them why they say "because all the fastest people use it"
>>
>>14198897
Just WTF? That post is seriously retarded.
>>
>>14199045
this.
>>
>>14199064
Are you so sure?

I bet you also think ABS is faster to stop than non-ABS because "computers" and "technological innovation"

We almost made it with this damn car, but still so much to change . .
>>
>>14199106
nigga the ND is great the way it is. have you even driven one?
>>
>>14199106
ABS is shit now yeah, because car tires back in the day had the contact patch of a bicycle and the cars suffered massive amounts of weight shift due to their ungainly design.

But what does that have to do with anything in your previous post regarding moment of inertia and large wheels being shit.
>>
File: my.png (1MB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
my.png
1MB, 1366x768px
>>14199199
I own one, and everytime I lift her up, I say a short prayer to the car gods for more mercy
>>14199279
ABS has always been slower than threshold breaking in non-ABS. I don't know, just, wtf man
>>
>>14198543
ugliest ND ive seen

did a blind man pick the wheels
>>
>>14199475
please recommend me a better looking wheel that weighs less than 14lbs
>>
>>14199045
>>14199073
sorry, not every car manufacturer has a GM mindset.
>>
>>14198583
Hmm, let's see here.

This shows that heavier wheels decreases stopping distance, yes.

But this also shows wider contact patches also increases stopping distances.

Nice try, pal.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (154KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
154KB, 1920x1080px
>when boomers put 20 inch chrome foose rims on classic vehicles
>>
>mfw i put lighter and wider wheels on my big cars and not the other way round, Size is slightly bigger than stock or smaller depending on what rims i can get for cheap
Feels good, just wish i could afford decent tyres but maxxis are good
>>
>>14199523
>implying that matters on a Miata
>>
>>14199531

god i hate that but that beautiful truck is an exception.
>>
>>14199542
As long as they are lighter then that's good

Still your tires will end up making it heavier
>>
Most of it has to do with consumer demand. The most significant portion of consumers want larger diameter wheels so car manufacturers cater to them. Tire manufacturers drive the decision too. Apart from 225ish or narrower tires, it's almost impossible to get wide street tires under 17-19" wheel diameters.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.