[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Motorbike over car?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 8

File: wrapmagickawasaki1000wrap.jpg (633KB, 1000x563px) Image search: [Google]
wrapmagickawasaki1000wrap.jpg
633KB, 1000x563px
Hello guys, I'm a 22 year old dude who's been driving for some time now and has had urges to pick up a motorbike for quite a while now, but I have been talking myself out of it for a while now.

Here are my pros and cons so far

Pros:

#1 Economically more viable (both in price and maintenance) and I haven't got a personal car yet (still borrowing my dad's - yay poorfag)

#2 Seems a lot of fun

#3 Park anywhere

#4 Save time by not having to stop in traffic for ages (also #3)

Cons:

#1 Dangerous - every accident is potentially more dangerous and more likely to happen than in a car (my biggest turn off)

#2 Not viable in some weathers (eg: heavy rain, snow)

So, can someone give me their opinion on this? Should I just stick to cars?
>>
If this is going to be your only vehicle, get a car, but if your dad doesnt mind you taking his then whatever. Keep in mind you're not going to want to ride in the rain/snow, and unless you buy gundreds of dollars worth of gear youre gonna freeze your ass off when its cold. Still gonna freeze even if you do buy some cold weather gear. Also motorcycle insurance is going to be a hell of a lot higher than car insurance. Tbh though quit being a disappointment to your father and buy your own god damn car to drive your 22 year old ass around in
>>
>>14193969
>more likely to happen than in a car
Nope. In fact you're more likely to be seriously injured while in your home.
>>
>>14193969
>#4 Save time by not having to stop in traffic for ages (also #3)
Where do you live? That may or may not be true.
>>
I was recently given a company car so I never used my 04 Corolla and was getting the urge so I went out took a 24hr MSF course and bought a 06 600 Katana and man is it awesome. If you have access to another vehicle if it snows or something I say go for it. Just be prepared to pay for all the gear, it adds up quick
>>
File: 14165324.jpg (160KB, 1280x852px) Image search: [Google]
14165324.jpg
160KB, 1280x852px
>>14193969
Im a bike fag who commuted everyday for two years in a place famous for shitty drivers and sketch road. I highly fucking recommend it. It's a blast. The thrill of riding never gets old and in general the motorcycle community is pretty tight. Under "pros" you forgot to list cheap as fuck to insure (although I guess that would be #1) and pull lots of poon. If you have any questions let me know, I'd be happy to answer.
>>
>>14193969
Dude get a motorcycle. Youll regret it later in life if you dont. And you dont need a car unless you live somewhere where it snows. There is gear you can buy that plugs into batteries and heats up so no worries about the cold. But unless you get an enduro bike forget about riding in the snow.

I would suggest getting a street bike as your first bike. Something like a Yamaha Vstar. Get something around 1000cc for the cool factor. Or get a harley, indian, ducati if youre rich. They are very cheap on insurance (about $50 a month) very cheap on gas, and cheap to crash (youll very likley crash, everyone does at one point). You can get one of those small cc sport bikes like a 250 or 300 but i dont like them. They feel tacky to me since they try to hard to look fast and aggressive when theyre not. They have upright handle bars and sound like scooters. But if you like em go ahead theyre not bad. Speaking of scooters dont get one unless you get it in a color to match your skirt.

Remember to always wear your year, full face helmet on top of that. And take the motorcycle saftey course. Crashing is nothing as long as you wear your gear. Ive personally crashed at over 50 mph and im completely okay! Just wear your gear!!!
>>
>>14194477
don't buy a vstar and don't get anything above 600 for your first bike
>>
>>14194360
Hooray for shitty statistics! Where did you get yours?

>Per vehicle mile traveled, motorcyclist fatalities occurred 26 times more frequently than passenger car occupant fatalities in traffic crashes.
>In States without universal helmet laws, 59 percent of motorcyclists killed in 2013 were not wearing helmets, as compared to 8 percent in States with universal helmet laws.
>Data shows in 2013 that the most harmful event for 2,448 (51%) of the 4,774 motorcycles involved in fatal crashes was a collision with a motor vehicle in transport.
http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/812148.pdf

tl;dr: Wear a helmet, don't drink, don't speed, and assume that everyone in a car is trying to kill you.
>>
File: kPaNPI3.gif (4MB, 482x272px) Image search: [Google]
kPaNPI3.gif
4MB, 482x272px
Thanks for the answers, snow isn't an issue where I live, we have an all around nice weather all year, apart from the rainy winters, but I'd just ride the car whenever I needed it on such occasions.

About the gear does it add up a lot (answer in € if possible), I mean it pays off due to the money I am not spending on a car + gas right? Am I correct in assuming it's very low consuming? Also, any general tip on what bike I should be aiming for? You've told me a street bike but I have zero experience with bikes so if you could give me something specific I'd appreciate it - no scooters please!
>>
>>14194501
A 1000cc v-twin is safe wtf are you going on about
>>
>>14194604
If youre poor: Honda Shadow, Yamaha Vstar, some shit like that idk a lot about street bikes i only have ridden sport bikes

If youre rich: Indian Scout, Ducati Scrambler, Harley 883 Iron
>>
>>14193969
I was bike-only for about 3 months, and let me tell you, if you plan on getting a bike you're gonna have to blow some nice money on good, WARM, WATER-PROOF equipment. No way around it. Also, don't plan on picking up large objects. Oh, also, you're gonna blow all the money you save on insurance, gas, etc. on new tires.
>>
>>14194629
Poor, the idea is to not spend as much as I'd in a car
>>
>>14194604
Basically go with any japanese small street bike. I wouldnt get a cruiser as theyre heavy and seating position is bullshit for beginners. Uncomfrotable as fuck. Just go to your local motorcycle shop and look at used japanese street bikes theyre all great. I wouldnt get a new bike as youll probably crash it
>>
>>14194637
Wait, gas? Isn't it supposed to consume much less gas?
>>
>>14194653
Read it again. He's saying all the money you'll save on that stuff will be spent on tires.
>>
>>14194653
Yeah that guy is autistic. Insurance i very cheap is you get a small japanese street bike. Probably like 30 pounds a month. Youll get like 80mph whatever that is in kilometers. And for street bikes tires last a good 17k miles. That nigger is probably going on about super sport bikes
>>
>>14194604
Bikes that I can think of off the top of my head:

Ninja 650
Ninja 500
Ninja 250
GS500
Versys 650
KLR 250/650
SV650

Since you're in Euroland you're probably gonna have to get a restricted bike, which means that you start off with a learner license and a bike limited to x kW of power.
>>
>>14194655
Oh I got it, the money I'll save will be spent on new tires.. really? Do they degrade that much faster than the ones of a car?
>>
>>14194655

Maybe if you don't beat the bike like an adopted white child in a nigger family doing burnouts and wheelies all the time you won't need to get new tires every 500 miles you fucking yobbo
>>
>>14194655
???? For super sport bikes yeah but for normal cruisers tires last and cost the same as cars...
>>
>>14194666
Dont listen to this guy all those bikes are shit. Unless you like looking like a poser thinling youre valentino rossi on a scooter with sport bike fairings on it. Sv650 is cool though rest is shit
>>
>>14194329
>cold
Not a thing, go away
Give real advice
>>
>>14194640
You are definitely going to spend as much as a car for your first bike
>>
>>14194667
Depending on how frequently you ride, what the road conditions are, the quality of the road itself, and how hard you push the bike, yes. In my experience of riding, the longest lasting tire I have ever used is a Michelin Pilot Road 4. The rear on my ZRX1200 has lasted for around 9000 miles or so which is great for a heavier bike like mine. Cruiser tires generally last a little bit longer but I don't think I've ever seen a 17k mile tire like what >>14194665 mentioned.
>>
>>14194734
My friend has a harley 883 iron that he bought new and it has 20k miles on it now and he still hasent changed the tires.
>>
>>14194761
That's pretty damn good. I guess they put hard compounds into cruiser tires. I just did some research and (according to Michelin) on an Electra Glide the Commander 2's last ~25k miles, which is spectacular for a motorcycle tire.
>>
So what about a specific bike, is there a safe buy, a guy listed a couple but he got a lot of hate so I was wondering is there a specific set of bikes that are a solid choice, I know this is /o/ so there's bound to be a lot of theory and a lot of fan boys of brand x or brand y. I am asking for one cheap, solid, first time bike for a bike noob.
>>
>>14194793
Nah bro it was just a prank the bikes the guy listed are good. Add a honda shadow to that.
>>
>>14194774
Granted his tires are worn to hell and the next time he rides in the rain he will probably crash. But they last far longer then sport bike tires. Shit on my R6 i had to change the rear tire every 3k miles and I rode it very soft. It was a 150$ tire too
>>
Been driving 7 years, riding 5.

It doesn't ever snow where I live but I'd still recommend owning a car as priority. In saying that I've always owned both.

You should buy a cheap car and a cheap bike. I never understand why you Americans finance newer cars. Just buy a late 90s car that has low ks.

>don't buy a Harley
Don't be that faggot. Girls don't even think it's cool. Real riders don't think their cool. They are ridiculous price, and you could get two bikes that perform better, are more reliable, and styled better and still have cash left over. Harley is to bikes what apple is to cellphones.

If you want a cruiser get a shadow.
I'd recommend getting a naked bike as you first. Something light and fun.
Don't get a 1000cc. I owned a 250cc for 6 months and loved it to bits. I've owned multiple 600ccs + 2 x 1000cc and I'd never recommend a 1000cc to a newbie ever

>tldr- get bike + car. No Harley's. 600cc or undrr
>>
>>14194793
Get any 300cc, beginner bikes hold their value. Get a cheap one so you won't mind if you drop it (in saying that I've never dropped a bike in 5 years).
Any Kawasaki, Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki that isn't trashed or older than 95 will be easily fixed (YouTube + yourself = mechanic)

I could recommend a certain model, but that's not to say a local one in your area isn't fucked.
>>
File: IMG-20150806-00180.jpg (927KB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20150806-00180.jpg
927KB, 2592x1944px
>>14193969
Its viable, and I do it myself, but it is more expensive than you think.
You've gotta take into account rider training and proper riding gear which are both super important.
I commute all year round on mine, and I wouldn't have it any other way.
>>
Thanks for all the answers, I am saving them on a word file so I can later analyze them all individually.
>>
>>14194618
>what is power to weight ratio and power vs displacement

I sure as fuck wouldn't want a new rider on a TL1000S/R or VTR1000.
>>
Im also considering to get into riding but I dont understand why a 250cc sports bike has the same insurance rate as a 250cc dual sport.
I always thought that sports bikes are more expensive and dual/dirt bikes are the cheaper ones to get insured
>>
>>14194571
That has nothing to with more accidents on bikes than cars. Which is what I addressed. You can tell, because I GREEN TEXTED it dummy.
There are way way way more accidents in cars than on bikes. Even if there were equal numbers of both.
>>
>>14194571
http://www.asecurelife.com/home-accident-statistics/
>18,000 Americans die every year from injuries that take place in the home
>Unintentional injuries, no mater the magnitude, are never fun and sadly result in an average of 21 million medical visits each year
>>
File: 1424116618.jpg (213KB, 895x671px) Image search: [Google]
1424116618.jpg
213KB, 895x671px
>>14193969
Remember that motorcycles also burn tires way faster, there's two sides to the coin.
I don't actually ride myself, but my father has for 35 years and I'm looking to pick up on it soon aswell as I'm starting my masters soon, and I live in a place where public transport is shite.

I actually wrote up a little chart to check whether just getting a twingo or a bike would be more expensive (I live in the NL, gas prices 4 times the Murrican ones.)
Have some DadVice™ from a real dad.

1. Most motorcycles cost more for maintenance and gear, especially for starters.
2. Get a GS500F for your first bike if you live in a cold rainy place, otherwise feel free to get a GS500E or whatever GS500 strikes your fancy.
Now you might think: hold up that looks like a lame ass motorcycle, hold up nigga, it's perfect for beginners. Also insane gas mileage, and the engine block NEVER dies, the one in our shed has 200k KM on the block still runs like a dream.
Extremely easy to ride on, and a good start with wrenching on motorcycles.
If you still think it's too slow for your tastes: you probably haven't experienced FAST motorcycles (and will kill yourself with them.) and if you start with a mid-range moto you will enjoy and appreciate every little upgrade from then on, the steps on your motorcycle journey, don't rush it.
3. The GS500 is a very neutral bike, neutral seating position, practically good for a ton of uses, after riding it for a while you will figure out what kinda rider you are, and you'll know whether to get a racer, cruiser or enduro next, whatever fits your tastes.

To sum it up: Cheap, fun, reliable.
Do it faggot. And don't ask /o/ for advice, do your own research.

KEEP IN MIND: you need clothing for all seasons(easily dropping 1k on just that), tires b cray, good helmet can run you 200-400 depending on if you want a music system etc. or not. And if you're riding it like you're having fun, they'll use just as much gas as a NA MX-5 at best.
(or get a scooter)
>>
File: IMG_20160107_074633.jpg (1015KB, 1649x1002px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160107_074633.jpg
1015KB, 1649x1002px
>>14193969

Why buy a new Z when you can buy the old Z?
>>
>>14195855
Because of the words "sport bike".

If a manufacturer labels it a sportbike it usually gets lumped into the same insurance category as bigger sportbikes, and because of that it becomes more expensive to insure.
>>
>>14195916
>recommending a carburettored, aircooled 80's dinosaur of a bike when there are better options for a smidge more money
>>
>>14196138
For a first bike? Why not.
You can get 90s and early 2000s models just fine.
Air cooled means cheap maintenance, and OP said he was poorfag.
>>
>>14196127
So why are people saying that its cheaper to insure a dual sport compared to a sports bike if they both have "sport" in it? They cannot be referring to dirt bikes since theyre usually illegal...ahhh :(
>>
>>14196170
A dual sport is a dirt bike thats 4 stroke and has lights
>>
>>14196170
Also 250cc sport bikes are just as fast as 250cc enduros or whatever. They even have an upright riding position
>>
>>14194604
Don't cheap out on gear, it's what'll save your skin (and possibly your life) in the event of an accident. I pretty much only use Arai helmets and Dainese gear but anything of high quality will do the job.

Basically starting to ride, as in buying a bike, gear, license, etc, is expensive, but once you've got it and are on the road it's cheap as dirt.

Pretty much anything but big cruisers and bigger sports bikes will use less fuel than a car. There are super efficient bikes around, but generally they're underpowered and not as much fun, depends what you want I guess.

>>14194665
Not the guy you're talking about but litre super sports piss through tyres, 'normal' bikes though? No not at all.

>>14194912
This too, I daily an R1 now but please don't buy something like that as your first bike.

>>14196170
Sports bikes cost more for an insurance company to repair or replace in most accidents.
>>
>>14196157
Aircooled also means overheating in traffic when you're waiting for the light to change on a hot day.

A Ninja 250 would be a better option than a GS500 imo, it's not like it's harder/more expensive to maintain than a GS500.

>>14196265
Most 250cc "sportbikes" have an upright riding position, though there are bikes like the CBR250RR MC22, which are actually proper sportbikes with clipons, four cylinder engines, dual disc front brakes etc.
>>
I'm in a similar situation as OP but I do have my own car.
Thing is, where I live there's no free parking and every parking spot at my uni is already taken, so a bike would be great since I can always park it inside and no one will ever say anything.

Anyway, I want to get my A license (yurop) but I have never ridden. I don't really want to buy flimsy bike with thin tyres like a 125cc or even a 250cc.
I want something that actually imposes itself on the road and is decently fast, if you know what I mean.
What would be my best bet?
>>
>>14196278
Do MC22 even exist in Europe? Even they aren't nearly as aggressive to ride as a 600 or 1000cc sport bike though.
>>
>>14196290
I heard some were grey imported in but I imagine they'd be hard to come by as they were only officially sold in Japan and Australia.
>>
>>14196293
Parts for them are starting to become harder to find down under, I'd hate to be parts hunting for them in a country where they weren't officially sold.
>>
>>14196278
Ninja's are less fuel efficient though
>enjoy your liquid cooling system breaking down mid traffic
>>
>>14196385
Ninja 250's get better fuel economy than the GS500 actually.

>he thinks liquid cooling magically breaks down

Autism right there.
>>
>>14196385
>liquid cooling breaking down
Not him but this has literally never happened to me or anyone I know.
>>
>>14196262
>>14196265
>>14196275
so then why are the insurance rates practically the same! Jesus Ontario insurance companies are retarded
>>
>>14196498
It's only really on smaller/learner bikes. Once you get into bigger bikes the differences become more apparent.
>>
>>14195876
>>14195889
>people spend a lot of time at home
>people also do stupid things at home
>therefore being at home is more dangerous than riding a motorcycle

I wasn't looking at the total number of accidents, just the fatal ones. And a fatal accident is way more likely on a motorcycle than on a car per mile driven.
Cars have become really good at keeping people alive when they do stupid shit. Motorcycles have not. The only thing keeping a motorcycle rider alive is themselves and their safety equipment, which they also have to buy themselves. Not trying to stop OP from riding, just want to make him aware.
>>
>>14196280

CBR500R
>>
>>14196280
there are 125cc's faster than 500cc's
you have a lot to learn
>>
>>14196278
Yeah and the 250rr hasent been in production for years and is very very rare so your point is invalid
>>
>>14196617
I think he was just saying that they exist, no reason to jump down their throat.
>>
OP if you like fast get a Aprillia rs125
>>
>>14196620
Yeah and so does moto 3 and the likes. Im not saying there arent fast small cc bikes they just arent viable
>>
>>14196627
That's not really a fair comparison. I see a CBR250RR (yes an MC22) every other day on the road. Literally every second or third day.

What I DON'T see very often are ZX2R,
>>
>>14194477
Dude seriously shut the fuck up if you think a 1000 cc Ducati is safe for a beginner, cheap to insure, and cheap to crash.
>>
>>14194618
Yeah only hp is important for new rider safety, not any consideration for brakes or overall mass. Fuck off idiot.
>>
>>14194501
My first bike was a V-Star 650. Just the right size for my driving (highway commute and around town). It strained a little on the highway so once I was comfortable riding I got a bigger bike. But the 650 was just fine as a first bike.
>>
>>14196970
Lol youre an idiot. Im talking about the Ducati scrambler and I prefaced it with "if youre rich". lrn 2 read
>>
I'm a noob looking into getting a bike as well.... Op you might want to look into the KTM 390 either duke or RC version. They are absolutely awesome and most likely what I'll be getting.
>>
File: 144199934714.jpg (110KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
144199934714.jpg
110KB, 600x600px
OP here, thanks for all the answers, I am gathering quite a lot of nice information regarding this subject, of all the bikes mentioned so far the one that caught my interest the most was the SV650 it looks great!
>>
File: 1409499450641.jpg (132KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1409499450641.jpg
132KB, 768x1024px
>tfw OP is probably going to buy a memebike
>>
>>14200312
>I like being slow
>>
>>14199220
I've got an 08 SV650. Absolutely love it. The weight, the way it handles all feel perfect, at least to me. Would recommend as a first bike.
>>
>>14194329
Actually motorcycle Insurance is much cheaper depending on whether you opt for comprehensive or not.
>>
>>14195233
I had a VTR1000 for my first bike, not an issue.

Depends on the rider and how responsible they are. The VTR taught me how to respect the amount of power it had.

Second bike was a Super Blackbird, although I still kept the VTR.
>>
>>14194571
i love when you talk about shitty statistics then bring in the horribly flawed motorcycle death stats. over half of motorcycle fatalities involve alcohol and over half wear no gear. its pretty simply to mitigate the risk. most people choose not to, but that deosn't mean options to lower the risk dont exist.
>>
>>14194604
>that gif
lol those idiots. i hope they all died
Thread posts: 79
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.