[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>am 18 >start riding motorcycles >gets me into driving

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: 1434326695427.png (193KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1434326695427.png
193KB, 500x500px
>am 18
>start riding motorcycles
>gets me into driving as a sport and manual transmissions
>parents want to get me car
>tell them I want a manual transmission car
>they get me one

I've got starting and stopping down pretty well, but when I shift from 1st -> 2nd or 2nd -> 3rd, it's still "jerky"; it shifts fine, but I'm not doing it smoothly, so the car rocks back and forth (sometimes pretty hard) as I shift between those gears. How do I improve this? Time and experience?
>>
>>14191856
Check the fluids. Generally speaking an engine should drop enough in revs when upshifting that it isn't THAT jerky.
>>
>>14191856
Are you slamming down on the clutch and immediately letting up super super fast? You'll get a feel for it.
>>
>>14191856
What car is it whats the Rev limit and about what revs are you shiftin at?

You may be shifting too soon in the Rev range or not clutching in and out quickly enough
>>
>>14191873
It's a pretty new car, so I doubt that's the problem. Pretty sure it's me, not the car.

>>14191910
I'm not super fast with the clutch, but maybe I'm not letting up smoothly enough?

>>14191929
2016 Subaru Forester, rev limit is 6500, I shift around 3000.
>>
Try shifting at lower rpm when you dont need to go fast.
It gonna be smoother
>>
>>14192024
When you feel the clutch bite, what do you do? Do you let out more quickly than before that point?

3k is about right for most cars l.
>>
>>14192047
I think I may be doing that, but I'm not completely sure.
>>
>>14192146
Frankly you gotta be sure, if you want go film your feet while you drive upload it to youtube and link it here
>>
>>14192222
Alright, but in general, am I supposed to be smoother with the clutch and never really push/release it fast while shifting?
>>
rev match
>>
>>14192264
What he said. Tutorials on YouTube may help. If it's a newer car u have a hydrolic clutch. Which is way more forgiving then cable. It's literally just giving it enough gas to match the road speed when easing off the clutch. Once ur good u can Rev match minus the clutch even. You know you got it right when the car falls into gear and doesn't jerk at all.
>>
>>14192286
Am I damaging anything when it does the aforementioned jerking back and forth, though? I don't want to fuck anything up because it's a pretty new car and my parents got it for me.
>>
>>14191856

Let go of the clutch SLOWLY
>>
>>14192258
It should be one continuous motion the same speed all the way through shifting
>>
>>14192264
You don't Rev match on up shifts, unless it's non synchro
>>
>>14192331
This. It should be a fluid motion between your feet letting off the clutch as you re-engage the throttle.
>>
>>14192047
I usually shift around 2k.
>>
>>14191856
let the clutch out slower, if that's not it then that's the car bucking, if that's the case then you have to just get good.
I got made fun of on here because I didn't know cars bucked because I've never driven a manual car before 2009 and I bought my s2000 which did this. Thought something was wrong with the car.
>>
>>14191856
This is common with people learning to drive manual. It'll come with time, don't worry.
>>
>>14192310
Motor mounts and tranny mounts can get fucked up pending on how shitty u r.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.